Author Topic: Djabidjan: Angels and Shadows  (Read 1406 times)

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
Djabidjan: Angels and Shadows
« on: March 28, 2023, 10:46:49 PM »

Valesteril county, Republic of Djabidjan

They advanced through the crowd which had gathered around the area, which was getting more and more dense as they walked. The crowd certainly looked rather diverse, with people of all ages and both genres (although there were a higher number of women, Cawil realized), and both families and solitary people. There were certainly a number of people who were likely just curious, as well as certain people who were members of the community but they were not too familiar with these lands (or at least gave such impression). But in both cases, they seemed hungry to see something that they could have only vaguely heard about it.

"It is right there", Patriarch Suleymaan told him, as they approached a house on one of the main hills of the village. He was easily recognized, Cawil understood, as people around the home started to push aside as they approached, while the sounds of them murmuring were increasing. As they arrived there was a younger man wearing similar clothing than Suleymaan's, only with frugal embroidery. The man respectfully bowed before them, after the Patriarch invited him to so, he softly knocked the door.

A woman, likely in her fifties, but who looked slightly older, or at least that was an accurate description of Cawil's impression, opened the door.

"Good evening, good woman", the Patriarch greeted her. "I introduce you to Father Cawil. While he's not a member of the community, but he wish to see your niece, as we talked before".

"Of course, I remember", the woman replied with a rather unfriendly but unthreatening and rather indifferent attitude.

"Nice to meet you", Cawil Magan replied. "Thank you for your welcoming".

They finally entered the room. The house was rather small, although not too much. There were some cracks on the halls and ceiling as the moved through the house. Still, Cawil had seen much worse houses in their travels through the country.

"Here she is", the young priest said.

Cawil saw a young woman sat on the bed. She was looking fixedly to the wall. As they were introduced, as if you be called so as she only looked at them without saying a word. She was repeatedly nodding as she was hearing.

The young priest, who seemed to have at least some knowledge of the family before the incidents, repeated the general situation of the case. Most of those details, Cawil knew them already. Others were not easy to believe, even consider seriously, even as his main task in the Church, Cawil had experienced quite weird things in the last two decades. The Falashites had gained a reputation of deranged or weird cult even by fellow Christians, still Cawil was curious enough about the case that he was willing to see the situation by himself. He has relatively open minded and he was glad that he found in the Patriarch as someone more reasonable, even intelligent, than he expected.

He feared that the community was taking advantage of a poor soul for their own ends. He was surprised that the woman did not seem to be affected to the symptoms which would be identified as a mental problem of any kind. While the woman seemed to be in her own thoughts, she was responsive and calm. She was actually so calm that she almost scared Cawil. She seemed to understand what happened and what was said around her, even if she did not seem to have any wish to communicate. Cawil was also surprised after seeing older recordings of the woman, some of them when she was a child or a teen, a two more recent ones. That seemed to contradict the existence of any kind of physical or behavior disorder that could explain the case, Cawil thought, even if he was not a trained psychologist.

It was not similar to those situations Cawil faced and experience in his role either. The conversation about the case with Patriarch Suleymaan for another several minutes. He heard and read many things about the community and the man himself before his travel, but Cawil felt his assumptions were not exactly right. It was said that the community was in disarray after the former late Patriarch had suddenly died, and there were many rumours about Suleymaan since he took over the leadership of the small Falashite Church. However, while there were many things he didn't understand about the community, he felt he acted as an experienced and patient spiritual leaders, and it did not seem that other members of the community feared him, or that he promoted eccentric or ignoble behavior between those close to him.

"This situation defies the senses, indeed", the Patriarch argued, "but so these days as well. After all...And in those days, the men will be tormented, wars and hunger willl afflict the men, and the dark blood of the righteous will cover the land".

Cawil was not sure what to say.

"Misunderstanding have separated us for many centuries, indeed", the Patriarch continued. "However, the main difference is that, while you have ignored us for long, we have continue to study carefully your literature and deeds, without devotion toward the error-prone way but with respect. It is only studying the errant path we can survive and continue through the just one".

"I guess that make sense", Cawil replied. "I have seen too many things to judge with severity our disagreement". He had not been completely sincere this time, although he realized why those verses felt convenient for his interlocutor.

But Suleymaan did not seem to have listened to him. "And the angel told him, the soul of the son will return and shatter the parents, and their sisters will be blindfolded by such light. And only then, the faces of the kings will be fill with a darkness never felt, and shame will be their dwelling, and they will have no fill their despair and disbelief", he added.

This time, Cawil felt something more ominous, as the Patriarch's face seemed to be covered with an uneasy joy, increasingly as he said those words.

"But maybe it is not the right time", Suleymaan said. "It is getting late and we should not disturb our hosts. If you do not mind to share it with myself tonight, there is a room upstair, even if only a modest but honourable lodging. It is quite dark outside and there are certain things I hope you can witness before you leave us".

"It will be a honour", Cawil replied, who was both surprised and curious about the offer.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Djabidjan: Angels and Shadows
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2023, 08:21:33 PM »

As both prepared for their prayers, Cawil could barely stop his train of thoughts about he had witnessed during his visit. The community had given him a more positive impression than he expected, even if he could only to disagree and feel compassion about their lifestyle and belief. There was a great sadness that such people, who seemed to care about each other and showed such devotion to their beliefs, Cawil thought, that they had abandoned and rejected the word of God. He hoped that he will be granted compassion and pardon for what he was doing during his mission as well.

Cawil was barely able to sleep that night, not merely because his old bed was not very comfortable, so he was already awake when the other young man entered the room and interrupted his and Suleymaan's rest.

"She already woke up", the young man told them. Although he had been informed about the daily process in the home, he hasn't entirely aware of what he would see next.

As every day, the Patriarch sat down next to the young woman, holding her hand, while she started to narrate her dreams that night. Stadning, next to Cawil, was the young Falashite priest, who was taking notes as the woman was speaking. Cawil remained silent as the woman continued talking about her dream, which seemed at first about an unclear situation regarding the woman's late brother and mother. He had read information about the incident in the media, and heard about it during his journey, which was obviously based in contradictory rumours and therefore not too trustworthy, but this time what was decribed did not sound a lot as a real life situation.

At one point, however, the woman's speech randomly speeded up, with words leaving her mouth without almost a pause. It became harder and harder to separate the syllabes and put them together in words, not to mention finding any logic on what was saying. As she did this, she seemed to enter in some kind of trance. Such situations hadn't been unheard during his career, although there was something that perturbed him. Unlike the most typical situations he had faced, Cawil had to concede that her voice was soft, and her tone was rather monotonous, although at a high speed the rhythm did not change most of the time.

After a few minutes, she started to stammer. It was now impossible to find any meaning in those words she was allegedly saying.

"Stop", the Patriarch said. "It is enough. Let her to rest and prepare to eat something". His words, however, did not seem to have any effect on the woman's behavior.

"I know you may have found this strange", the Patriarch said, "even I have been informed that you have experienced many distrubing situations. The Lord knows I am not comparing those situations, of course, but I leave your judgement and allow you to proceed if you find it required by your judgement and experience. I am nobody to judge, only God is able, but I will be still willing to hear your opinion, even if we disagree on the nature of what we have witnessed".

This time, he was uncertain about the sincerity of the man's words, as there was something different in his tone and attitude as he spoke. Cawil was uncertain in the situation he found himself, not just because his mere safety in this private house in a remote area, but because he was used to face this kind of situations in a more adequate place, such a church or a chapel. Nevertheless, he was well aware that it was the only chance to address the situation, so he started his prayer. As he continued praying, he grab his personal cross in one hand, while his other hand touched the woman's head. However, he was suddenly interrupted, as the young woman raised her head and exclaimed:

"Father, what are you looking for?". As she said this, which she did with a clear but calm voice, and her voice returning to a more articulated speech while she rolled her eyes back, gave a step back and the cross fell to the floor. As this happened, the woman closer her eyes and fell back.

"Help me to put her back to the bed", the young man told Cawil. "She's fine, let her rest", he tried to assure him. Before they left, Cawil was reassured as the woman seemed to breath and had simply fallen sleep.

"It is alright", the young man said. "She sometimes ends exhausted...we will check in a few minutes".

Before the next step in his travel, Cawil had a long conversation in the kitchen with Suleymaan and the woman's aunt. Still unsure about the nature of which he had witnessed, he was concerned that the community could be using the woman for their own purposes. However, the woman did not oppose about the community taking care of her niece, as Suleymaan had proposed during their conversation. Cawil felt that the woman considered the present situation as a burden, and it could not take care of her properly, and would be too happy to see them disappear - including the presence of the community in the surroundings.

Suleymaan invited Cawil to continue their conversation in the home of other member of the community, where they had been invited to share a meal. Cawil declined, as he was wishing to start his travel back as soon as possible. As he left, however, he almost got lost between the crowd, as he was trying to make sense of the thoughts and feelings which trying to make sense in his head.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 10:27:38 PM »
Djabidjan City, Republic of Djabidjan

The first thing that Cawil did when he finally arrived to the capital after more than a week of travel was visiting the Cathedral of Djabidjan City. He made the sign of the cross from the other side of the road and took his time, looking at it in silence, lost in his own thoughts. Five minutes later, he entered the cathedral and did his prayers preparing for his visit to the bishopric headquarters.

Cawil was finally announced in the office of the Djabidjan City bishop, the second most important Catholic authority in the country.

"Welcome back", the bishop said as Cawil entered the room.

"Thank you, Your Most Reverend", Cawil replied.

"I had finally time to carefully read your report", the bishop added. "I am guessing it was a rather typical mission...If you ever have any which can not be described as atypical, of course".

"I wouldn't say so", Cawil replied. "While I may have seen things most of our brothers may have not, it was not something that escapes the realm of experience and faith".

"That's true, indeed", the bishop replied. "I can only praise your effort. On your conclusions, I do not exactly disagree but it is my feeling, which seems to be shared and not only here, is that overreaction should be avoided. Many things have happened lately, and it is understandable that people were both shocked and lost. But it is our duty to move decisively without prudence, which may only create new problems, for ours and in every church ahd parish, but to offer calm and guidance through prudency".

"I don't disagree, of course", Cawil replied. "It is, after all, not where my expertise would allow me to offer good and useful judgement. However, I could not avoid to give the most complete view of everything I witnessed. I agree that, at the end, it does not matter much if people are led by malice or poor judgement in their abandon of their own salvation. We can only double our efforts and hope they will reconsider their deeds. Still, what I witnessed was mostly people who felt abandoned themselves with a huge hunger, a hunger which may be literally in some cases, as these deprived areas had been shocked for the obvious reasons, but a hunger that goes beyond the fresh, a hunger that was both psychologically and spiritually. I understand that we may have limited capabilities but still, it can not be ignored that a large number of these people has felt left on the sidelines with not guidance and consolation in their communities".

"Yes, I understand it", the bishop replied. "It is only understandable. I can understand that it is probably felt as something personal for you, and that feeling of helplessness it is not something that is alien to me and others who may judge the situation differently. But it must be understood that the church is the home for everyone, and for that reason our actions are always considered carefully, with both good judgement and prudence. As you say, we do not disagree that the source of the present crisis are both secular and spiritual. But without prudence, our guidance would be lost and we would do a poor service to the souls we assist and guide. A defiant attitude would be easily misunderstood, and it would cause a huge harm in our nation and communities, bringing more irrational division and hatred. No, that must be avoided".

"In any case", the bishop added to break the silence, "I will make sure that your report will be read and considered. You put a honest and valuable effort and it could be greatly helpful. I have a busy agenda these days, but I will let you know if anything changes before you have to return to Atalaxia".

"Indeed", Cawil replied. "I understand, certainly, Your Most Reverend. I will be highly honoured if I was able to contribute the best of my capabilities to face the current circumstances".

"May the Lord guide your steps", the bishop finally added as a farewell to Cawil, who obediently left the office.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 09:24:03 PM »

The Presidential House, Djabidjan City, Republic of Djabidjan

The conversation, which had already taken for a while, was not advancing much. President Min, visibly irritated, threw the folder, who impacted on Lahn Thi Huynh's face. The impact left a light bruise on the recently appointed Minister of the Presidency's face, although she barely reacted, stepping back while discreetly touching her cheek.

"What kind of bullshit is this?", Min angrily exhorted. "Am I surrounded by idiots and parasites? How do problems and more problems keep happening, every one even more idiotic than the last one?"

Yohannes Arendse barely reacted, keeping his usual serious expression. However, the situation was slowly getting on his nerves. Despite his most recent promotion, he could not help but having the increasing feeling that his position as Minister of Home Affairs was becoming more and more marginal, particularly with the increasing power accumulated by the ministries of State Security and Defense due to the present martial law -even if the legal changes that made much of it possible were partially pushed by his close subordinates- and, more recently, for the success of the State Department kidnapping operation, as well as more recent setbacks in his ministry.

Yohannes' attitude was only altered as his sight distracted by some of the documents and papers from the folder, particularly one with the underlined words "Khaniisnimad", "Madaxweyne", "Min", or "dawlad shaydaan", even if he did not speak that language.

"The last thing I need is to hear about these idiots again", Min said. "End this lunacy soon, no need to waste our time with this".

"I understand", Yohannes replied. "It should not and it will not be difficult, I agree. A decisive stroke and they should be done for good".

"I will be satisfied when I see it", the President added.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 10:52:35 PM »

A circle of people had gathered around the crying woman and Patriarch Suleymaan when it was announced that a young priest, the woman's son, had been arrested in a mission in a nearby province.

They knew he was a devout man, but they had still doubts about his strength, fearing their situation may be compromised.

"Our brother is a good man", Suleymaan said. "We can only pray for his personal safety and his spiritual well-being. The truth is that we must be as strong as he needs to be".

"It may be better to hide for a while", one of them argued. "Our presence could endanger the community here", he said. His words only fueled more helplessness on the woman, who was expected that the Patriarch offered some guidance and solution to the situation, even if she knew well how unrealistic that could be in the present circumstances.

"There are only two paths", Suleymaan argued, "the path of life and the path of death. Getting hold of our own life, no matter the cost and consequences, is not the path of life and love, but the path of death. The only way toward the path of life is to empty ourselves. Only by becoming empty containers of obedience and submission, we will be able to open the path of life to our brothers".

His speech continued for a while. Although his small audience probably felt that it was becoming increasingly repetitive, it was effective enough as it achieved, willingly or not, to drown their doubts.

"There is not m uch we can do now", Suleymaan added. "We can only trust our faith and wait what the Lord granted us. Only him knows. Go back and share this feeling with your family. Let's have some rest".

"I need some sleep as well", Suleymaan told the man who had expressed his doubts before. Both had met for first time many years ago. "You should too, as I know you haven't rested enough lately. As most of us".

"Before continue our way", Suleymaan added, "we need to visit the home once again. I will see you in a few hours".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2023, 09:51:35 PM »

Djabidjan City, Republic of Djabidjan

Minister Jung Tae-wook looked again to the folders which were accumulating, and growing,  on his table. "Operation Jeonghwa" had already involved the ministries of Home Affairs, State Security and Defense. Jung felt this was too much effort for a bunch of lunatics. But orders were orders.

The operation was at first a success, temples and offices were closed down, and followers were pushed to the underground. But it became soon quite evident that even for a movement of a few thousands, that was not enough to make them fade away. General Lagbara was not a man who knew measure when faced an obstacle so he gave clear orders that every family with at least a relative in the community was placed as suspects and face either arrest or separation. Soon, such solution became a logistical nightmare which drained resources. Still, the example of Valesteril expanded through the region and beyond, and a wave of denounciations followed.

Finally Chairman Kim Sung-mo arrived.

"I see you've arrived", Minister Jung said. "Even if you do not look to bring good news".

"Not right now, unfortunately", Kim replied. "What we have, one may say, it's too many news, too much information. But they can not hide for long. We are going to find them soon".

"That's what I hope", Jung said. "Let's finish this soon. We need this to be done for good, and being the first ones who achieve that. Let's not waste more time in this affair".

"I'm convinced that is going to be the case", Kim added.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 04:48:19 PM »

Somewhere in a distant country house, Republic of Djabidjan

Patriarch Suleymaan looked at the old book which was inside the glass cabinet.

"It was not easy to get it", the host, Dumarsais Beauvas explained. "As you may know, this copy of the Asalahaan Dardaaran was considered lost during a long time. It is claimed that it was written from the hand of Patriarch Ladnaan himself, even if some claim that was a bit unlikely".

"It would be an unique value of great historical importance", the Patriarch insisted. "I am certain that your deeds are showing that this valuable object is in the right hands".

"Thanks", Dumarsais replied. "Maybe things will return to normal and such document will return to the hands of the church".

"I am certain that day will arrive", Suleymaan replied. "We are thankful of your generosity and kindness. While I can only regret that you are not part of our movement, we are certain that your good deeds will not be unheard".

As they continue talking, they noticed a young woman appearing from the door in the library where they were in. It was no other that the woman who they knew now with the name of "Meryam", even if that was not her birth name. She was one of the eleven people who had been Dumarsais' hosts for a while. Suleymaan smiled back.

Meryam was still often in her catatonic state most of the day, but she was regained a level of awareness and independence. However, she was still seemed that she was lost in her own thoughts, even when having a conversation or performing daily tasks. Suleymaan's "experiments" had stopped, either because he had collected enough information and her inner message was becoming too repetitive or because he felt that she had become aware of the process and was providing him with the things he expected to hear, defeating the nature of the process.

But Suleymaan knew that there was no need to precipitate things, as the start of the awaiting of the Kingdom had already started. Even if nothing remained of the movement where he had grown up and dedicated most of his life outside the walls of this huge house, in the middle of nowhere, and his supporters had either lost their freedom or escaped where they could, he was still dedicated to the task that awaited him.

He ended his conversation with his collector host, and returned to his bedroom. He looked at the pile of papers written with his own handwriting amassed on his table. It was time that he finished his task, and completed this work that will open the minds of the world. The present may look gloomy and dark, he thought, but his people will be able to return to their true homeland and being their journey to the brightest light that no men had ever seen.