Author Topic: OOC discussion : Tamora's annexation of Attica March 1958  (Read 5073 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
OOC discussion : Tamora's annexation of Attica March 1958
« on: July 22, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
I thought I make thread about one of the most important events in Tamora's relatively recent history: Tamora's annexation of Attica (its southern province with access to the sea). The objective is to build some common history even if it's just one event. Since it takes place in 1958 it give us the opportunity to be flexible (you could have condemned Tamora harshly then yet today have neutral or even slightly positive relations).The last section is about how other could react to this event. So if you're short on time just skip to that section. Feel free to post any ideas, comments or criticism.
Bear in ming it's rough sketch and still a work in progress:

Background:

Tamora then was a nation of about 150 mil pop, made up of 5 federated kingdom and just as now a multi ethnic population with several major religions. However, just as now the Parthian (Persian) and the Manist faith(a "lovely" religion specific to Tamora) are the dominant politically and culturally. The others ethnicities and religions retain (major) influence in their home (federated) kingdoms. Also, the country had a history of expansionism aimed at neighboring countries. It  was landlocked at the time and focused its military so it would have the ability to project power in its immediate vicinity. 
The government is a weird type of feudal system, with the emperor being in charge of the army, intelligence agency, foreign affairs and central bank and no check on his power (in theory, at least). He lets his kings and lower nobles handle the rest of the affairs of the Empire. There are huge political, cultural and legal difference between the different kingdoms(regions) of Tamora. There are no elections and no legislative branch (prohibited by imperial law) at any level (local, state or federal).

Attica (is the small southern province if you look at the map) was as the time a sovereign constitutional monarchy. The monarch had significant executive powers  but where kept in check by the legislative branch and the constitution. Attica had at that time some 15 million pop, mostly Armenians or Catholic (Armenian rite) faith. The country had a good track record of respect for human rights (something rare in that region of Mundus). It had a GDP per capita of three times that of Tamora.
Furthermore, It had a policy of neutrality, trying to stay away from alliances and wars in an attempt to not annoys its neighbors : Tamora and RS.

Prior to the annexation:
- since Attica was richer than Tamora, a sizable minority of Tamorans immigrants developed in Attica.
 -tensions appeared between the Tamorans immigrants (especially those of Manist religion) and the native population. It was fueled in part because of different cultural and social mores: polygamy, lack of respect for human rights of women etc of Manists. Tamoran intelligence services infiltrated the civil society of Attica and enhanced the anti Tamoran sentiments of the native population and incited violence against them.
- Tamoran intelligence tried (with limited success) to infiltrate Attica's Army and local governments.
-Tamoran religious leaders and NGOs constantly decried that Attica is abusing the rights of Tamoran imigrants.

What started the war (officially):
-After elections, a very nationalistic party won in Attica. It passed a bill in parliament criminalizing polygamy(even if the marriage took place in another country), banned women from covering their hair and wip.
-a very limited number of Attican local government officials (all in the pocket of Tamora's intelligence services) signed a statement decrying the apartheid and potential ethnic cleansing of Tamorans in Attica and asked the Tamoran Emperor to intervene.   
-Tamora invades to protect Tamorans living in Attica.

Annexation and occupation:
-the war was quickly over since Tamora's war machine quickly overran Attica defenses. 
- a limited number of military personal defected to Tamora ( they were working for Tamora long before the war started).
-The admiral  in command of Attica's navy ignores the surrender order of Attica's king and orders his ships to flee to a foreign country.
-Attica is initially under martial law, governed by a Tamoran general. The martial law ended after ten years when Attica's political structure is aligned with Tamora's feudal system and resistance cells have large been crushed.
-The occupation forces used the stick and carrot approach. Those that fought against Tamora were enslaved* (but not their families) , resistance members when captured were enslaved together with their families. The military and government officials that defected/betrayed Attica were lavishly rewarded(made nobles in charge of small town or cities). The occupation authority encouraged Atticans to report resistance elements as they would be rewarded with half the assets seized from the accused. This was meant to instill fear among the people and break Attican solidarity. Many Atticans reported as resistance members were actually not even collaborators, the occupation authority did a quick investigation of each case: around 50% of reported cases ended up with a conviction and subsequent enslavement.     
-Rights of Atticans under the occupation: they were recognized as citizens of the Empire but under being under a state of emergency(martial law) had a curfew and could easily be detained for sedition. Abuses against the population were not sanctioned but did happened, over three dozen Tamoran soldiers were whipped and then hanged in the public square for rape and other abuses.

Attica by the end of the occupation/martial law (1958-1968):
-around half a million Atticans ended up in slavery over the period.
-around one million Atticans left the country (Tamorans authorities allowed that and even allowed them to take their money along).
-the GDP of Atttica saw a massive 30% drop
- because of potential foreign influence, the Emperor did not allow Attica to recognize Catholic bishops until this day (all other rights are respected).

How other nations reacted (i will update this section with other ideas and list any nations that chose to take a stand in the event):
-it's assumed that all nations condemned Tamora and sanctioned it so I guess I'm more interested to see if any chose not to. I had it planned that RS chose not to sanction Tamora and that's how the very good relations of today started  but I never confirmed it with Dave.
-which nation or nations gave political asylum to the Attica fleet when the admiral refused to surrender and took the fleet aboard:Ecclesiastical State.
-which nations took in Attican refugees (around 1 mil of them in total):Ecclesiastical State.
-since we have a festival of Sail, we can say that Attica had one preserved Sloop-of-war, the "Santa Hripsime", that was used to fight slave trade in the region. The ship was sold during the occupation to a private foreign collector since it was a sensitive issue: Tamora had slaves and RS used to be involved in the slave trade: Ecclesiastical State.
-which nations actively supported (equipment etc) the resistance of Attica during martial law : Ecclesiastical State.
-any ideas /suggestion people have.

*that might be a problem since the Upsala (Geneva convention) was in place in 1958. Not that Tamora ever signed such a thing but I understand that any breach of that convention is severely punished.

Feel free to post any ideas, comments or criticism.

Update 1: Added ES support on all options and fixed the date of the invasion to March 1958.

Offline Xaeth

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Alakhwan
Re: OOC discussion : Tamora's annexation of Attica March 1958
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »
So, like I mentioned on the Discord yesterday, I'd be interested in Xæth having taken some Attican refugees after the invasion. Probably a sizable chunk of them, considering the lose proximity of Xæth to Attica as well. So I imagine there being a few hundred thousand Atticans living in modern-day Xæth (constituting the fourth-largest ethnic group in Xæth). I know you mentioned that with ES being changed to having been a city-state that it's involvement isn't as prevalent, but by how much? Asking because Xæth would've been willing to have provided political asylum to the fleet as the Empress at the time was more interested in foreign affairs, but I'm unsure how much you want to change from what's established.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 05:09:09 PM »
Krimeon would've been able to receive Attican refugees as well.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »
Ok, so if people don't have any objections. I will divide the Attican refugees as follows:

500k to Slava
350k to Xaeth
150 k to Krimeon

The fleet would also flee to Xaeth since it is reasonably far away from Tamora (unlike Slava) and yet close enough to be within range.  I would have to think a bit on what type of ships and how many would make up the fleet. Attica while not being a major power did have a reasonable fleet (for the size of the country). I estimate that at least a few thousand crewmen would be aboard those ships.   

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
  • Hallo, Ich bin eine Filipino.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Quintelia, Socram and Sarandib
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 02:34:59 AM »
Crap. Sorry for the very late reply, but Quintelia and Pardclinnia would be very happy to take in refugees at that time.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 10:29:57 PM »
Ok, adjusting the numbers:

450k to Slava
300k to Xaeth
125k to Krimeon
100k to Quintelia