Author Topic: A Tamoran visit to Centralia (Tamora and Centralia)  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
A Tamoran visit to Centralia (Tamora and Centralia)
« on: April 04, 2020, 08:58:03 PM »

Addressed to: His Excellency, Secretary of state R. Edward Young

Your Excellency,

Our two nations have had little diplomatic contact so far and while there are clear differences between how our societies are organized, the values they aspire, the traditions they hold dear and the form of government they have chosen to lead their people, I do believe that there is room for a constructive dialogue which could lead to possibly future cooperation which will serve the interests of both our nations.

You are perhaps aware that the Tamoran Empire, alongside our friends and allies the Emirate of Royal Seleucid, has placed a bid to host the Mundus Games of this year. This is a first not just for our two countries but also for the region of MidAranye. I have started a continent wide tour with the aim of visiting the countries of the continent we both share in order to present to them the arguments why such the joint bid would be worth supporting and also listen to any objections or concerns that might be raised.   It is for this reason that I would like to set up a meeting with our office and visit the Federal Republic of Centralia in the coming week which would allow us to talk in more detail about this. I have also attached an annex with the possible subjects which we might approach for discussions should you agree.

In the hope of future collaboration, I look forward to your reply.

Respectfully yours,
Alya Safavid
Head of Foreign Affairs 

Annex A: Topics proposed for discussion:
-   Assessing the current relations between the Tamoran Empire and the Federal Republic of Centralia.
-   Exploratory talks about opportunities to increase cooperation between the two countries.
-   Discussions on the Tamoran-RS joint bid to host the Mundus Games.
-   Exploratory talks about the possibility for our government to facilitate religious activity (including but not limited to missionarism) between our countries.

OOC: Since it was agreed via Discord that the host will agree for us to visit Centralia, I went ahead with the RP.

Preparations for the visit

The Tamoran Foreign Office had been very busy the last few months. Alya Safavid had visited more countries during this time than in the whole previous year and it was beginning to take its toll on her. However, she could afford to rest as she had plenty more countries to visit. The last few days she prepared intensely about the meeting with Centralia. While she was perfectly aware that the stakes were low and expectation of success were lower still that didn’t matter to her. She was preparing because her job was to represent Tamora aboard and she wanted to do that as best as she could.

She spent hours with her aids trying to understand Centralia as best as she could. Unlike most nations in Mundus, Centralia was not a monarchy and instead elected its leader. Yet unlike some republics it did not allow the people to elect just anyone as their leader and the country had a strong ruling elite under the name of Patriot Party whose leader was also the leader of the Republic. Alya liked the fact that Centralia had not succumbed to mob rule as she considered democracy and that the elites in Centralia had not abdicated their responsibility to rule, even if they did it with the pretext of a popular mandate rather than one entrusted by Divinity. Centralia was a Christian nation. Christianity was a minority faith in Tamora and although Alya was not very knowledge of this religion she was familiar with it. Like most Orthodox Manists, she didn’t feel comfortable attending religious ceremonies of other faiths and preferred people of her own faith/ However, she clearly preferred the Monotheistic religions of Midaranye, like Christianity, to the whole variety of polytheistic religions that spanned across Mundus.

And yet she there was much she didn’t know Centralia. For one it was not clear how close they were to Tytor and by extension to Rokkenjima. It was clear from the military hardware they had that they had at least good relations with Tytor at one point in time but the relative isolation on the Mundus stage suggested that at least now relations between Centralia and Tytor were not that close. Aside from the connection with Tytor, none of Alya’s advisors could come up with any other nations Centralia had connections with. They seemed content to focus on their domestic policies rather than international affairs. And yet their president found the time to show his support for the terrorists in Clysperis.

Alya also had to consider what gift she would bring to the hosts. Since Centralia was a Christian nation and Christians were about to celebrate Easter soon, their most important holiday, she decided that holy water from the Jordan River in Vanora would be an appropriate gift. Some of her aids disagreed saying that a religious gift might not be fitting for a nation that was a de facto police state but she did not listen to them. Religion was central to Tamoran society so avoiding a religious gift for fear of offending them felt she like dishonoring Tamora.

Arriving to Centralia

Alya was informed by her staff that they would soon enter Centralia’s airspace. It was just in time as she had just finished her prayers. She rehearsed one more time out loud some basic phrases in English ”Thank you very much for your hospitality”, “It is an honor” etc. She pronounced them with a heavy Parthian accent. Like the overwhelming majority of  Tamorans, Alya did not speak English. Parthian, her native language, was the de facto lingua franca in many parts of MidAranye and the Tamoran nobility studied the rest of the languages of the Empire as a sign of respect for the peoples of Tamora rather than learn foreign languages. Alya was no exception, she spoke Arabic and Seleucid but she had little knowledge of English. While she hand a translator with her, she did want to be able to express some words in the language of the hosts even if they were very basic.

After the plane landed, she got up and prepared to go down the stairs. She was dressed in a traditional black abaya dress and hijab. She also wore silk black gloves. Tamorans considered inappropriate for men and women to touch in public and hand shaking with the opposite sex was frowned upon. Wearing those gloves gave her some comfort that should the hosts be too friendly and offer a handshake she could thus avoid a direct touch and not refuse them.

She looked around for the welcoming committee to see how she would proceed further.

(ooc: if the hosts are waiting for her at the airport she greets them if not she heads out to the point of meeting, I left it open for however you want to proceed). 

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
Re: A Tamoran visit to Centralia (Tamora and Centralia)
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 03:00:51 AM »
Secretary Young was in a very bad mood as he watched the Tamoran plane taxi to a stop.  It had taken the better part of five hours to find an interpreter who spoke Parthian within the State Department's bureaucracy, and even longer to find someone with enough knowledge of Tamoran cultural customs to give a rushed briefing on the matter.  However, Young was only half listening to it.  He absorbed the fact that Tamoran women did not shake hands, but his mind was on the rest of what had happened to him that day.  Secretary Pullman had all but shouted at him -- him! -- about the need to avoid offending their guest.  Did the man not realize that this was his forte?

"Any questions?"

Young started slightly, not having noticed that the briefing was drawing to a close.  "No, I don't think so," he said dismissively, "You're excused."

Young left the room, heading out onto the tarmac to greet his Tamoran counterpart.  To his consternation, Pullman was waiting for him just outside.

"Good, there you are," Pullman said, glancing at the plane as the stairs were moved into place, "I have just one more thing to say before you meet here."

"I'm sure it can wait," Young said testily, "This is my department's purview."

"Yes, yes," the smaller man said, waving his hand in an infuriating manner, "But the Tamorans may be dangerous.  If you offend them, our national security might well be put at risk.  I just wanted to let you know that your meeting will be under surveillance by my agents.  After all, national security is very much my department's purview."  With that ominous warning, Pullman departed through the still-open door.

Young swore violently under his breath, cursing Pullman and his continual interference.  Taking a moment to compose himself, he turned and saw the Tamoran delegation already disembarking from the plane.  He swore again, but hitched a smile on his face as he strode toward the woman he recognized as Minister Savafid, his interpreter hurrying to keep up.  He started to offer a handshake, remembered his briefing, closed his fist, and turned his movement into an awkward sort of bow.

"Welcome to New Providence," he said, trying to cover up his mistake, "My apologies for the rather lackluster reception.  Austerity measures, you know."  This was a lie, of course, but the Tamorans couldn't possibly know that.  It wouldn't do for them to feel snubbed right off the bat.  He gestured toward a set of diplomatic cars parked nearby.  "Would you care to accompany me to today's venue?" he asked.
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 12:12:56 PM »
Alya appreciated that her counterpart was present to greet her rather than have her embassy staff drive her to the meeting place.

She returned the bow placing her right hand across her chest.

“Thank for the welcome!” she said with a heavy Parthian accent before switched to her native tongue. “It’s no problem at all, I understand” she said assuming that Centralia was experiencing economic problems of their own if that they had to resort to austerity measures. 

“Of course” she replied and got into the diplomatic car.

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 06:24:15 AM »
The meeting was to take place at the Edward G. Warren Building in the Saltford neighborhood of New Providence, which housed both several well-furnished conference rooms and Young's own office.  It was a ten minute drive from the airport, and Young almost immediately regretted not taking separate cars.  Sure, there was plenty of room in the car the two diplomats rode in, what with it being practically a full-sized limousine, but there was just something off about the Tamorans.  Young chalked it up to the fact that they were so blatantly foreign.

Young had been a very successful businessman prior to his stint in government, so none of this showed.  He kept his interpreter busy with idle small talk all the way to the Warren Building, then led the Tamoran delegation to one of the mid-sized meeting rooms on the ground floor.  They passed a small congregation of reporters in the lobby which had been gathered to keep up appearances, but Young saw little else of interest on the walk from the car.  Not that it was a problem, of course; the Tamorans probably wouldn't appreciate Centralian culture all that much anyway.

"Now, before we get down to the business at hand, you've had a long trip," Young said as the Tamorans took their seats, "Would you care for refreshment of any kind?  Tea or coffee, perhaps?"  He believed, but was not certain, that the Tamorans had some sort of prohibition against liquor, and so did not explicitly offer it.
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »
From her experience travelling aboard she learnt that you never know what to expect. Some countries chose to treat Alya and her delegation in a lavish manner while others offered a very lukewarm reception. She figured that Centralia, with their austerity, did the best they could.

“Tea would be more than fine” she said.

She then motioned to one of her staff members who immediately stood up and presented Young a small vial with water in it.

“Please accept this small gift from us, it is holy water from the Jordan River in Vanora. I know your people celebrate your holiest day soon and I hope the gift will please you.”

After trying the tea she said:

“It is very good, thank you” saying the last two word in English before switching back to Parthian:

“I know our two nations did not engage much in talks until now” she said overestimating the diplomatic activity between the two countries “before we proceed I would like to first inquire about a statement your President, His Excellency, Jin Tanner made via social media regarding the situation in Clysperis. That statement could be interpreted as supportive of the terrorist elements in Clyperis which is why I would like to know what the official position of the Centralian government is in relation to the Clysperi civil war. As you are perhaps aware, Clysperis is not only one of Tamora’s closest allies but there are Tamoran troops actively engaged in fighting the terrorists in Clysperis. So the matter concerns us directly. “