Author Topic: The Freestone Abolitionist Society  (Read 11059 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
The Freestone Abolitionist Society
« on: August 11, 2018, 08:35:29 PM »

In the 18th Century a group of merchants in the East Moreland town of Freestone became concerned about the plight of slaves around the world. They started a campaign that lead to King Paul II banning the practice of slavery within the boarders of East Moreland. At the same time High Priestess Cassandra Wainwright issued a religious edict that no follower of Helus could own a slave or profit from the act of slavery. As such the King and High Priestess effectively ended slavery in East Moreland and stopped any Morelander from taking part in the horrific trade in human life.

Now roughly 300 years later we see the spectre of slavery still exists and nations such as Tamora profit from it. This is something we have seen several nations take the stance against by making gestures of buying slaves and freeing them, yet still 40million people sit in slavery in Tamora. This is something we feel can not be allowed to go unchallenged. While governments of the world have many issues to consider which blunts them from taking action, we the citizens of the world have no such issues. We have the ability to influence the way nations act by choosing where and how we spend our money.

With this in mind we are refounding the Freestone Abolotionist Society, this time however rather than ending slavery in just one nation we hope to end the practice of slavery globally. We shall do this in several ways;

1. Compile lists of companies that profit from slavery and encourage people to boycott their goods and services.
2. Pressure our governments to take action against people owning slaves.
3. Collect evidence of the human rights breeches of slave owners and where possible use court systems to bring them to justice.
4. Support slaves in gaining their freedom.
5. Spread awareness of slavery.

We invite the world to join us in Freestone to turn this society from a figment of the past to a force for justice in the world. The refounding of the FAS will take place on 21st August 2018 and we hope for your support.

Tim Carpenter
Melissa Lusk

Re-Founders of the FAS.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: The Freestone Abolitionist Society
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »

CREATION OF THE FREESTONE MARK

Today the Freestone Abolitionist Society re-launches the Freestone Mark. During the end of slavery in East Moreland our ancestors saw fit to give certain traders who could show they did not exploit slavery a plaque which told their customers they did their business without causing human suffering. We live in a world today where consumer choice and knowledge of the providence of the product or service is seen as important. We therefore believe those companies in Tamora whom are doing their best to deal in good conscience should be helped and that a blanket boycott could hinder them. We therefore will be happy to work with any Tamoran company to help them show the world that they are not placing profit above lives. As such we will introduce three levels of Freestone Mark

To obtain any of the Freestone Marks a company must open their business for an inspection by FAS staff. To obtain a Bronze a company must prove beyond doubt that none of their workers are slaves. To obtain a silver a company must also show that they use no components or raw materials that involve slaves. Lastly to reach the Gold standard the company must also show one of two things, first that any slaves they did own are no longer slaves, or that they have passed at least two follow up inspections. Once a Bronze or Silver Freestone Mark has been awarded a company agrees that a member of FAS can drop by for a surprise inspection annually to ensure continuation of the required standards.

In the coming weeks we also hope to acquire funds which will allow companies with Bronze, Silver or Gold marks to help promote their business overseas or even expand at home. We hope this Mark is something customers across the world will embrace and be mindful of when they shop. While governments may take little action it is us, the people who can make a stand. Agatha Unasson, wife of the Cult of Helus' great hero Raimond Unasson once said, "Nothing is impossible,Every chain is breakable" and it is truly our hope the world will help us make this a reality.

May The Gods Watch Over You and All Know Freedom

Tim Carpenter
Melissa Lusk

Re-Founders of the FAS.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE DUCHY OF WELLOW

To:- The Honourable Timothy Carpenter & Miss Lusk

As a member of the Cult of Helus I believe like yourselves that slavery has no place in the world. We are all created by Helus and thus the only enslavement we should fear is that of the Underlords. It is my hope that I can use my position as Lead Sword in Bakkermaya to influence the people there to join with your boycott of Tamaran goods, save those that have the Freestone Mark assigned to them. In that regard I have already made it policy within my own household that we shall not purchase any goods, services or products from Tamora unless they have the the Freestone Mark. I will be in my weekly meeting with Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles asking permission to in fact ban all imports to my Duchy of Wellow of goods that do not have this mark and if possible apply this to the whole of Bakkermaya.

I have seen that you are wishing to raise funds to support those ethical businesses in Tamora and so would like to make a donation of $300,000 to your organisation in order to help kick start this project. Furthermore I would like to invite both of you either together or individually to meet with myself to explore other ways I may be able to help your campaign.

May The Gods Watch Over You and All Know Freedom

Duchess Anna Davidson of Wellow
Lead Sword of Bakkermaya.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »

The Holy See

Crypted Message

To:- Tim Carpenter & Melissa Lusk

The Catholic Church today considers modern slavery crime against humanity and is unfortunately becoming worse and worse every day. This takes place in hiding, behind closed doors, in private homes, in the streets, in the cars, in factories, in the fields, in fishing boats, and in so many other places... The victims come from all walks of life, but most times they are the poorest and the most vulnerable of our fellow brothers and sisters. Today we have the opportunity, awareness, wisdom, innovation and technology to achieve this human and moral imperative. This is why on behalf of the CC, I'm willing to donate $1 billion USD in order to help drive forth the campaign; The Papal Household already refuses to purchase any goods, services or products stained by slavery and without the Freestone Mark, as well as the wider range of the Catholic dioceses and congregations. The Church is also actively influencing public opinion to drive forth a future referenda where the Ecclesiastical citizens will hopefully vote ban all 'immoral' imports.

If there's anything else you're invited to discuss with me in a confidential place and time, where we can take a look at ways one could further aid.

Pope Peter II of the Celestian Catholic Church & Ecclesiastical State of Christ

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »

To: Tim Carpenter, Melissa Lusk

This letter and seal is to confirm statements made by King Andrew III of Seaforth. The Kingdom of Seaforth is pleased to officially support the Freestone Abolitionist Society in their efforts against the continued practice of slavery and have adopted the Freestone Mark as national trade initiative.

Additionally, funding from the King's discretionary funds will be made available to the Freestone Abolitionist Society on a yearly basis.

On behalf of King Andrew III,
Harper Rhodes, Countess Stirling

Offline CabbagePreacher

• Basically New Zealand
  • Selamlar, ich bin ein Türke. Probably.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nichitishi
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 07:33:16 PM »
A MESSAGE FROM CABBAGELANDIET

To: The Honourable Tim Carpenter & Ms. Lusk

As the Grand Preacher of Cabbagelandiet and the Holy Church of Brassica, I oppose slavery, as we all have been created by Brassica Prime and we are all equal. Even though we don't import from Tamora, I hope to make the Freestone Abolitionist Society contributions from my own funds, 100,000 CAB from the start, with a weekly or monthly payment to be planned by me and my government. Cabbagelandiet will be passing legislation in favor of the Freestone Mark soon, hopefully adopting it by this weekend.

May Brassica Prime bless you in your endeavours,
Grand Preacher Brassicus II, Head of the Brassican Church and Lord of Cabbagelandiet.
Cabbagelandiet still lives on thine heart!

The Factbook of Nichitishi - https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1864.msg16144
The Important People of Nichitishi - https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1865.msg16145#msg16145

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »

To Tim Carpenter & Melissa Lusk

Achkaerin has long opposed the practice of slavery, I believe that I not only have a moral and ethical duty to stand against such an unacceptable practice but also as the leader of a signatory nation to the Mundus Convention of Universal Rights, a legal one. The Holy Empire of Achkaerin offers its full support in the fight against slavery.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »

THE FREESTONE ACADEMIC FUNDS

The Freestone Abolotionist Society was established with the aim of applying pressure through public awareness and people power to bring about an end to slavery. What we never comprehended was recieving so much funding, much much more than we ever will need. As such we are proposing two new parts of our organisation.

1. The Freestone Academic Fund for Scholars

This shall see funds used to allow former Slaves to access an education. As education is not free in Tamora it is likely no slave will ever gain an education that will drag them out of poverty. As such we will allow any individual to apply for funds to pay for their education be it a child attending a regular school, or an adult to learn new skills. It is our hope that this will help them to a brighter future.

2. The Freestone Academic Fund for Higher Education.

This fund shall specifically be for former slaves to access higher education in subjects relating to Health Care, Engineering, Sciences and Computing. Those applying will be supported through a degree and have access to a range of different work experience placements from businesses willing to work with the FAS.

We realise this project is not why many people gave us funding and as such shall not begin distribution of funds for 30 days. Any individual, government or organisation who has so far donated funds may request the return of these funds should they believe these new projects do not align with the original goals of the FAS.

Signed

Melissa Lusk
Co-Founder of FAS

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »

The Commonwealth of Pretoria

To:- Tim Carpenter & Melissa Lusk

It is with such a great honor to announce that the Pretorian Parliament recently gave green light to sign the Freestone Abolitionst Society; Slavery should be abolished on a worldwide basis, because it is an institution which relies on a belief that humans are not equal and that some humans are more intrinsically worthwhile than others. Slavery is rightfully an international crime and a crime against humanity. Thus my signature will hopefully not only prove that the Commonwealth does stand up against an institution which should be a relic in the past, but also actually contribute and do something against it, including providing a respectable amount of funding on a yearly basis and the full boycotting of Tamoran products and services utilizing slavery.

Always Forwards, Never Backwards!

Lord Protector Steven II Pretorius

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 11:18:42 PM »

To:- Lord Protector Steven II Pretorius

While we are thankful of your words of support we must remind you that the Freestone Abolitionist Society is a non-government organisation and does not having anything which a government of Pretoria, nor any other country can sign. We are a political pressure group who believes that by spreading information about the use of slaves we give people the ability to make informed choices as to whether to support this horrific practice. Furthermore the Freestone Mark acts as an international recognition of a lack of slaves and it is up to governments to determine whether they wish to use it in their domestic legislation.

While several governments do support the FAS they do so without being members of it or having signed anything. The reasoning for this is that we have seen far too often that governments are swayed by factors beyond human decency. We therefore must at this point reject your statement while applauding the sentiment.

Best Regards

Tim Carpenter
Melissa Lusk