Author Topic: Troyes Affair  (Read 436 times)

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Aosta2
Troyes Affair
« on: April 13, 2024, 12:11:13 AM »
OOC- Dave has given me the OK with this.

62 men and women had gathered in the basement of the Fleur de Lys nightclub close to the beach front in the city of Troyes. For the past few weeks they'd all been taking trips over the border to Aosta where they'd meet up with members of the Empire's Special Forces. Many of the 62 had served with Real Marseille during the fight against Materna but their skills had become a little rusty, after all many of them weren't exactly career military types. One of the 62 was Jean-Pierre Cantona, the founder of Real Marseille and the first President of Marseille, he had persuaded his former comrades in arms to reform the paramilitary group and now with weapons supplied by the Empire of Aosta. Jean-Pierre hoped that they wouldn't be needed but as he checked that he had several spare magazines for his weapon he couldn't rule out it either. They'd tried everything to get the city back for their homeland and even with international support it seemed that Seaforth were intent on keeping hold of their little slice of Albion. "Friends today we shall take back to last piece of our homeland. When we kicked out that damn cult and restored our nation as a Republic all should have been well but as we've seen Troyes failed to get that and now we must toughen our hearts, strengthen our spirits and prepare once more to go into the fire if needed. We promised that we would free all of Marseille and now we must finish the task. You all know your duties for the day and I pray that we meet again with our mission complete." He headed round the room and shook hands with each of them. The last three people he made his way to had stood to one side and not mixed with the others.

Lt. Mirko Russo, Sgt Ruben Clemente and Leading Rate Sara Zanetti had flown in that morning as tourists and stood in civilian clothing, accreditation given to them as journalists while in reality Russo and Clemente were members of the nations elite commando force Zanetti was a radio operator with the Navy. They were here to ensure that high command back home had a clear picture of what was happening. "You all set JP?" Russo asked Cantona as they shook hands.

"As much as we ever can be. You're sure everything is in place?" The former President enquired.

"Yes sir. We've had confirmation just a few hours ago.  We've got your back." With that reassurance the members of Real Marseille placed their rifles in gym bags and stuck pistols into holsters concealed under their jackets before they headed out. At first they made their way in ones and twos leaving at short intervals from the nightclubs back entrance. They made their way down towards the military base that dominated the harbour. There were the usual protests there with Cantona recognising several old friends who had fought alongside him years ago. They stood there with flags and plackards demanding the Seaforthians go home. It was once all the group had got themselves in position that the plan swung into action. There were four roads that lead to the base and now a large box truck full of bricks had swung across each blocking access by road to the base. Cars beeped their horns as traffic began to back up in the streets around the camp. The drivers exited the vehicles and their passengers stuck huge knives into the tyres other members of the group hurried forward and pulled on ropes sending banners unrolling down the side of the truck announcing that the Seaforthian base was now closed and that Real Marseille were in charge of the road blocks. Some of the crowd having seen the banners began cheering.

WIth the base now effectively stopped by the road a flotilla of four fishing boats appeared and dropped anchor in attempts to block the entrance to their dockyard. All that was left was an aerial approach and that would be next to impossible for the folk of Real Marseille to stop. While the locals did their work Zanetti kept the Aostan government up to date and then when the boats had dropped anchor the next stage of the plan swung into action.

Quote from: Real Marseille Statement

At 11:45am on 12th April 2024 the people of Real Marseille have determined that we can wait no longer. Today we have taken action to restore the city of Troyes to the control of Marseille. As a result we have today claimed an estimated 95% of the city for the newly established Republic of Troyes. In addition we also assert our rights to all waters, as laid out by the FSC and all air-space as recognised by international law. We hereby also declare that on the 1st July 2024 a referendum will be run in the city giving people a choice as to whether to remain their own independent Republic or rejoin with Marseille. Until that time Jean-Pierre Cantona will serve as interim President.

Almost instantaneously a group of Aostan naval vessels made their way into what Cantona had described as his new territorial waters. The HIMS Rothari lead a pair of Destroyers (Perctarit and Godepat) and the same number of Frigates (Liupert and Raginpert) took up positions on the main naval route into Troyes and then transmitted their own message

Quote from: Message from Aosta

As of 11:50 am on the 12th April 2024 the Empire of Aosta formally recognises the Republic of Troyes and Mr.Jean-Pierre Cantona as their provisional President. In an agreement confirmed by both nations the Imperial Navy of Aosta is to take up a role of maritime security for the new Republic until such a time as they can take responsibility for doing so. We wish this new nation the best and look forward to a bright future as neighbours

Offline Abertone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Abertone
Re: Troyes Affair
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 01:06:09 PM »

With immediate effect the Empire of Abertone acknowledges the independence and sovereignty of the Republic of Troyes and offers our help and support in running a fair and truly independent referendum as and when it takes place.

Additionally the Empire will stand by Article 4 of our bilateral treaty that establishes the Dual Empire Network that monitors shipping. We shall therefore be informing Aosta of any potentially hostile threats heading south through the Straits of Shaw.

We wish the people of the new Republic of Troyes well.

Emperor Marco of Abertone

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 03:49:22 PM »

On The Matter Of Troyes

As neither the First Empire, nor any other member of the ADSN was consulted prior to the actions undertaken by the Empire of Aosta and the Empire of Albertone my response shall likewise be public and independent of the ADSN framework. While the First Empire maintains that a return of the totality of Troyes to Marseilles is an event which must happen we are concerned that the events of the last few hours increase the potential for unforeseen consequences, greater instability and a potentially bloodier path to the objectives of the Joint Statement by the ADSN on the Troyes situation. The First Empire is disappointed that the Empires have involved themselves with a series of actions without consultation with the broader ADSN, which could have seen the utilization of our shared diplomatic resources to effect positive change. While we will continue to support a Troyes and Marseilles which is free of foreign occupation, just as the Protectorate is not a legitimate exercise of sovereignty, unfortunately, neither is the Republic of Troyes.

As this situation has brewed without consultation the First Empire is forced to remind the Empire of Aosta and Empire of Abertone that security agreements exist between Rokkenjima and Seaforth. Should harm befall any Seaforthian personnel, vessels or aircraft the First Empire would be in a position where those agreements could legitimately be called upon by the Kingdom of Seaforth, placing the First Empire in a rather difficult position. This is a situation which could have been avoided with discussions via the ADSN prior to this course of action being pursued.

In response, the First Empire is forced to deploy Task Force Vigilant Watch, centered around IRN Eleanor and IRN Beluga, to the Strait of Shaw to monitor the situation and, if necessary, respond according to the treaty obligations of the First Empire of Rokkenjima if necessary.  We will also be calling for a meeting of the ADSN to discuss these developments and, hopefully, see that the consideration of our neighbours as friends ensures better communications to avoid situations such as this in the future.

Respectfully;

Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima
Princess of Littlebrook

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 08:45:05 PM »
It was a peaceful night in the Marble Palace, Serenity was sat on the sofa, one arm around  her younger daughter Astrid, while her older daughter Lisa sat on Serenity's other side, they were watching the tv show the Octonauts - it was a favourite of the girls. Also on the sofa was Euphy curled up next to Serenity but behind Lisa.
"Is this the one with the honeybadger in it?" Nettie Taylor asked as she walked into the lounge.
"Yep." Serenity said "We're watching this then Euphy's going to help with them with their homework while I make snacks and then we're watching Moana followed by Brave."
"Movie marathon nice." Nettie said
"Why do I get the impression you're about to tell me I'm not going to be enjoying watching them?" Serenity asked
"Because this happened." Nettie said handing Serenity a summary document on what had happened in Troyes, Serenity glanced at it and looked at Euphy
"I think Val's doing homework help." Serenity said
"So much for our quiet night." Euphy said

Once the homework had been started Serenity, Euphy and Nettie all headed into the kitchen. "Ok let me just ask... what level of silliness is this?" Serenity asked as she switched the oven on "Is this how to lose support for your cause day? In what world does anyone think that the international community is just going to nod at this? Say yes to this and what stops the Gungnir just declaring any random village in Nya Aland as sovereign territory."
"That's not the main problem though." Nettie said
"Much as I admire the garbage fleet protest league worthiness of this affair yeah I know." Serenity said leaning against the wall and sighing "What happens when Andrew picks up the phone and calls me, calls Asuna, calls David etc."
"It gets messy." Nettie said
"You need to get in front of it." Euphy said
"I know." Serenity said with another sigh "Nettie talk to the foreign office get a statement out about this."
"Ok." Nettie said
"How'd you fancy a detour to Seaforth before we go to Rokkenjima for the Youth Diet?" Serenity said looking at Euphy
"I'm game." Euphy said
"Sakura should be finished in Clysperis by morning so let's get her down to Marseilles to talk to Sauzee and Deschamps." Serenity said "Meanwhile I go to Seaforth and  try to reason with Andrew before this gets out of hand."
"Do I need to talk to Adam about the military?" Nettie asked
"Yes, you know the drill." Serenity said
"I do." Nettie said, she walked away as Serenity looked at Euphy
"Sure you still want to hang around this madhouse?" Serenity said
"Totally." Euphy said before she gave Serenity a kiss "Now dinner to make, films to watch and we'll pack later."

Statement on Troyes

The Achkaerinese Government continues to recognise that the city of Troyes is the sovereign territory of the Republic of Marseilles, we do not believe it to be a Seaforthian protectorate because sovereignty over the city has at no point been ceded to Seaforth, this is the fundamental principle of sovereignty it can only be granted by the land owner. Therefore as there be no evidence that the government of Marseilles has granted sovereignty of Troyes to this 'Republic of Troyes' we do not  recognise it as a sovereign state and continue to assert the position that Troyes is part of the Republic of Marseilles. On that basis we do not recognise any suggestion that the waters and airspace of Troyes are not Marseilles water and airspace, nor will the Achkaerinese government recognise as legally enforceable any referendum held without the consent of the government of Marseilles.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 11:25:39 PM »
Niamh can you get the Seaforthians on the phone please. King Finley instructed his PA. It took her about half an hour, Finley suspected that King Andrew would be rather snowed under. "Andrew its Finley. I'm just phoning to say that Ui Cenneslaig will be making a statement that we support Seaforth and that Real Marseille have no authority..........if you need anything you've my number." The conversation ended and Finley got busy with several other jobs. It wasn't really a matter he was too worried about but he was determined to show Celtic unity and that meant standing by your friends and that included Seaforth.

Following the fall of the Sorority of Materna it was clear that the people of the city of Troyes could not be supported by their homeland. The city relied on a huge humanitarian and economic support from Seaforth and it is no surprise that the inhabitants of the city owed a great deal of thanks to the Seaforthians who today make up 1/3 of the population of the city. In the aftermath the city then swelled to its current size of 3million. Since then the Seaforthians have ensured a strong economy, a stable justice system and a transparent democracy. We have now however seen an armed gang supported by a hoodwinked Aostan Empire convince the people change is needed. I firmly believe that this is nothing more than a rabble rousing minority manipulating public feeling to try and steal away from Seaforth territory they saved from disaster and have nurtured and cherished. King Andrew can be assured that Ui Cenneslaig will stand by our Celtic cousins in this situation and that we will pray common sense prevails and we see a peaceful solution.

King Finley.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 05:02:40 PM »
Lt-Col Freddie McCaul had been out for dinner with his wife and 12 year old daughter in Troyes itself. His phone had begun ringing and seeing his 2IC phone number her picked up, "Steven.......I see......I'll be there in ten minutes....." He stood and motioned for the waiter to come over at which point her handed over several bank notes and thanked the man. "We need to go" Freddie told his family, who sensing that something urgent was happening stood and followed. The car drive back towards the base was at first uneventful but then as he got closer to the base they began seeing crowds. "I'm guessing another silly protest." he said telling his daughter not to worry. Soon though the traffic was so backed up after hearing on the radio that this was slightly more serious he switched to a plan that the Blackwatch Special Forces had come into for various scenarios. He turned and headed to the nearby Troyes Celtic Rugby club and moments later he'd parked the car up in the clubs car park while a helicopter touched down on the training pitches. He helped his wife and daughter onboard and then the helicopter took them into the base. "Jim what's happening?" He asked his 2IC as he meet him away from the wash of the engines while his wife took their daughter away to their home.

"Sir, we've that Cantona chap declaring Troyes a Republic, gate guard have said they've blocked the loop road with several trucks that they've disabled, effectively turning them into road-blocks, which explains your struggle getting back. They've estimated about 100 people in total helping man the barricades and we've evidence of guns. Been several non-armed groups joining them too. In a simple sense we're beseiged but it seems more serious than previously." The base had quiet often been the focus of protests and had even found itself cut off for 48 hours before but this was something different. Within the next 30 minutes the various statements, first from Real Marseille then Aosta came out, and this gave the commanding officer the sense that this was something bigger and as such he contacted HQ back in Seaforth.

Over in Seaforth news had begun trickling through to King Andrew. The monarch was not too pleased. The two Albion Empires seemed like they could be a thorn in his side but at least the Rokkenjimans had his back. He was annoyed at the Achkaerin stance, they'd been there in Marseille and knew just how hard the Seaforthians had worked to first secure the city and then rebuild it. If the blood of Seaforthians soaked into the soil there and the billions spent reconstructing the place didn't make it part of Seaforth then what else would? For now though he had to work on what to do. He had several meetings with Ministers, the intelligence community and various others before coming to a conclusion. Once he'd made his mind up her phoned McCaul over in Troyes. "I'm authorising you to do whatever is needed to maintain control of that base short of carrying out action outside the wire. You will be authorised to only open fire once fired upon otherwise you may use non-lethal aggression to hold the perimeter. Should local law enforcement or councils request your support then it can be given with the same rules of engagement. I'm going to dispatch the Red Crown aircraft carrier and a support fleet with it. If you need anything let me know."

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 07:54:52 AM »
   It seemed like Fusan had gone from one crisis immediately to another yet again, Sadazane thought as he read through the reports in his office. First, those damned islands in the Rokkenjiman Sea, then Kalasin again, and now, Troyes, not to mention a brewing political crisis at home which might decide the fate of his nation. Suffice to say, this was the last thing he needed by this point, but perhaps he'd brought it on himself. He had, after all, signed off on that declaration by the ADSN regarding Troyes in the year prior, and yet, he also realized that he had commitments to his allies, who in turn had their own commitments to Seaforth. Ordinarily, it would be a matter which Fusan could ignore, save perhaps a strongly worded letter, that most favored tool of diplomats and people who didn't really care about a crisis. Sadly for him, ignoring this would be political suicide, as would saying the wrong things.

"Sir?" Asked Tadakatsu Haruno, his Minister of Foreign Affairs.
   "Yes, Haruno?" Sadazane replied, turning a page in the report.
   "What are your orders?"
   "Right... Well, we need to make it clear that we won't support the actions taken by this organization... 'Real Marseilles', was it?" Sadazane sighed. "Right. We also need to make clear that we will not support the actions of Aosta in sending their vessels into Marseillais territorial waters without the expressed permission of the government in Montaulon."
   "Of course, sir. Anything else?" Tadakatsu inquired as he took notes on what to do.
   "Well, other than reaffirming our support for our allies in Achkaerin, I'd suggest you pack your bags. You're going to Marseilles, meet with Deschamps and Sauzee."
   "...Very well. When do I leave?"
   "As soon as you're able."

Statement on the Ongoing Situation in Troyes

The Empire of Fusan formally reaffirms its position with regards to the sovereignty of the city of Troyes, wherein the territory is a legitimate part of the Republic of Marseilles, albeit presently occupied by the Kingdom of Seaforth without the consent of its people. Nonetheless, we refuse to recognize the independence of the self-proclaimed "Republic of Troyes," noting that the Republic of Marseilles has not itself recognized its government as legitimate. Likewise, we reject any notion that this supposed government holds sovereign claim to any territorial waters or airspace legally possessed by the Republic of Marseilles. Furthermore, we wish to express our concern with regards to the movement of Aostan vessels into Marseillais territorial without the expressed permission of the legitimate government in the region, which at best is a violation of Marseillais sovereignty and at worst an outright provocation against both the Kingdom of Seaforth and the Republic of Marseilles and an act which risks the further escalation of tensions in an already brewing crisis.
Signed,
Tadakatsu Haruno,
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Empire of Fusan

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 09:21:04 PM »

A Message To Marseilles
Secured Communication

To: Prime Minister Ralph Deschamps

Recent times have seen much discussion of Marseilles and Troyes yet we've yet to hear from the Republic itself on these matters. While I recognize that Rokkenjima's history with Marseilles has been, at times, complicated I pledge to you, as the Empress of a new era, that when I said I wished to see the territorial integrity of Marseilles restored through the reunion of your Republic with Troyes I meant it. Yet that goal has been obscured, first with the proclamation of the self-proclaimed "Republic of Troyes" and foreign vessels operating within your waters, without the sanction of your government, to "take up a role of maritime security for the new Republic until such a time as they can take responsibility for doing so" to quote the Empire of Aosta; responsibilities which would be within the formal and official remit of the Marseilles Navy. In addition to the Seaforthians already present in Troyes, exerting their own influence, we now see another navy foreign to Marseilles operating within your territorial waters on the behalf of an entity which is recognized to datey by two powers only, those being the Empires of Aosta and Abertone.

Prior to the First Empire considering additional measures I wish to seek your position on the self-proclaimed Republic, as well as that in regards to foreign navies operating in the territorial waters of Marseilles without the sanction of your government which is an aspect of this situation which increases the risk to all parties involved unnecessarily. At present, I have dispatched Evanthe Rhodes to Seaforth to pursue all diplomatic options with the Kingdom which, I hope, will see a graceful exit from Troyes by the Seaforthians. I firmly believe that the path of diplomacy, not that of reckless actions, will be the one which sees the swiftest reunion of Marseilles with Troyes and am pursuing all avenues to see that happens. As I've said this will require much of the Seaforthians, but we will also require partnership with Marseilles to see that this happens as well. It is my hopes that we may together see our shared resolution is realized, and I am prepared to utilize the full set of diplomatic tools the First Empire holds with the Seaforthians to see that end goal become a reality.

I will look forward to your reply.

Respectfully;

Princess of Littlebrook

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 12:31:12 AM »
Serenity had been on Seaforthian soil all of five minutes, when the phone had rung and she found herself on an impromptu conference call with her brother Simon, her cousin Sakura and the rest of the Round Table Conference, which was the emergency committee that consisted of the Achkaerinese leadership across military, intelligence, politics and so on.
"What's happened now?" Serenity asked
"Well apart from RBC apparently not doing their due diligence, the ASDN plan is reportedly getting traction." Simon said "At least that's what Cheryl tells us."
"Is that both parts of the plan?" Serenity asked
"Yes." came Cheryl's voice
"Well if they're prepared to go that far then we'd better put wheels in motion." Serenity said "Which carrier is in Gowu right now?"
"The Intrepid." Simon said
"Deploy it and its group." Serenity said "Hang them outside Marseilles waters and then come the cut off they move in."
"Will do." Simon said
"Sakura." Serenity said "Regardless of what Andrew says this referendum needs to happen, remember the position is that Troyes is Marseilles territory, the Marseilles government doesn't need Seaforth's permission to hold it."
"I'm on it." Sakura said
"I'm just waiting for Evanthe to turn up and then we're going to see Andrew." Serenity said

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2024, 10:00:46 PM »
As was to be expected the phone of President Sauzee had been going non-stop since the Real Marseille siege had begun. Add to that there were telegrams and e-emails constantly coming in via his secretary. He had been a member of Real Marseille himself during the Materna conflict and considered him a friend. He was disappointed that he hadn't been in on the plan from the beginning but he had to admit it looked like they were achieving results. The only part of the plan he was perhaps not surprised by was the involvement of Aosta. They're had been well documented visits to the city by their Empress and she'd been very push in various meetings about the cities plight. Now however he was being drawn into the firing line and it seemed the first shots would be coming from Rokkenjima. He read the telegram a second time as he waited for his secretary to ensure the call had been connected and the translators were in sync.

"Hello Majesty" he began the conversation, "I'd like to begin by thanking you for your message of support regarding Troyes, we're keen to reunite our people and thought it would take much much longer, thanks to this situation it is our hope that we can have all of Marseille back together by Christmas." He chuckled, "Now as for the situation in with Aosta my next phone call I intend to make to Empress Serena. I want you to be aware that in that call I intend to thank her for the support they have shown and ask her ships to maintain their patrols in the waters of Troyes until our own naval Frigate arrives, that is likely to be 48 hours time for it to put to sea and reach the coast of Troyes. It will then be our intention to fulfil the territorial rights you and others believe already belong to us. We hope that you will respect this decision. I wish you to please remember the level of respect that people here have for the movement of Real Marseille and while they do not speak with the voice of our government they more than clearly represent the feelings of our people and it is them that I serve. Jean-Pierre Cantona may be an awkward rabble rouser at times but he is a friend and a hero of this nation......he also tends to get results. Now I hope this puts your mind at a little more ease and gives you some preparation for the coming few hours."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2024, 11:29:41 PM »
Evanthe arrived shortly after Serenity had, Michael Kensington following not far behind her. "I assume no introductions are necessary," she said as she motioned to Michael, "after serving as the Imperial Liaison of Rishiri our paths crossed again and he now serves as my Chief of Staff as Kōshaku." Kensington smiled, "pleasure to be working with you both today." With the pleasantries exchanged Eva turned back to Serenity, "I imagine we both have an idea on how things are going to play out today, and what we're expecting to achieve, let's make sure we go into that room with the King on the same page, yes?" she said as she exchanged the briefings which had been prepared prior to her departure for Seaforth.

"I have to say it feels good to be back, present circumstances excused I'd missed the air here," she continued.

"Well I'm certainly pleased that your waters aren't being impeded upon," the Empress responded simply. "We'll be happy to continue our support for a path of reunion between Marseilles and Troyes, however we remain committed to a path which sees this done with as minimal an impact on stability in our region as possible. Potentially seeing Rokkenjiman vessels forced to defend Seaforthian vessels and assets is hardly an ideal situation for any involved, so let's see that scenario is not one which spills from the realm of the hypothetical into the realm of reality, yes?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 04:59:11 PM »
"It's simple enough." Serenity said as her phone chimed with a message that the ASDN action plan had the necessary agreement it needed "Even more so now. Troyes is Marseilles territory, that's the reality and it's also reality that the Marseilles government can call a referendum on the Troyes issue without needing Seaforth's permission. Andrew's going to have to make a choice and he's going to either choose to let the people of Troyes determine their future by referendum, which gives Seaforth a chance of formally holding onto the city, or he's going to choose to assert that the city is Seaforthian soil, in which case we walk away and let the ASDN open up the toolbox it has ready." she looked over to her jet where one of her cars was being lowered out of the hold. "I'm not here to appease Andrew I'm here to give him the chance to get out of this with his, and Seaforth's, head held high. I have no issue with knocking him down to the mat if he doesn't take the opportunity we're going to give him. I'm driving."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2024, 02:16:04 AM »
"Rarely do matters involving the Seaforthians are connected to the same sentence as "simple enough", especially when we're talking about foreign matters," Evanthe would offer a chuckle. "I do feel that if we can impress upon King Andrew that there is a greaceful off-ramp open to him, one which allows Seaforth to maintain its dignity, we might be able to persuade him from impulses even Joshua wouldn't dare tread toward. Hopefully the fact that both you and I are here will begin ringing enough alarm bells in his head that something is most certainly awry. Given my personal connections I'll be looking to you as point here," Evanthe paused, "I'll look forward to the viewing opportunities along the way."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 01:44:08 PM »
Andrew had been woken up almost 24 hours earlier when news of this broke, he'd spent much of the day in and out of briefings, dealing with various calls from ambassadors, Lt-Col Freddie McCaul and the guys down on the HMS Red Crown. He had been rather annoyed reading the statements from Rokkenjima and Achkaerin who he considered to be among the strongest of his allies, meanwhile he understood David was busy in Lodja no doubt busying himself with "dynastic business" and the Morelanders had, at least so far been rather quiet on the matter. He had though been pleased that the Cenneg had issued a statement of report and he fully intended to talk to King Finley later to offer his thanks in person. It was set to be a few difficult days and now he'd actually got Serenity and Evanthe here in person, had they not heard of Zoom? He had his aide show the guests in.

"Please take a seat" Andrew said while still busying himself tidying away some documents into the folder as he stood behind it. He made very little eye contact with them as he seemingly focused on the documents making sure they were in the correct order. "You'll have to forgive me" Andrew began, "This is not exactly a meeting that we had been planning for and as you can appreciate I have quiet a lot of matters on my plate at the moment" he gestured to the glass top of the desk before him. He was still stood as he continued. "I've heard your nations have released statements saying that Troyes in part of Marseille. Straight away I can tell you that this will not be as straight forward as you releasing statements and Aosta parking some boats. I've ordered my officer in charge of the base there to hold it and we've no intention of handing it over. In addition Troyes has a long history of its connection to Seaforth through the story of St. Jocelyn and while its never been as big as it is today there has always been, since the saints lifetime, an involvement of Seaforth in that city. Be that supporting monastries, churches or just pilgrimage. Even though the Seaforth Catholic Church no longer enjoys the favour that it once did the saint still has lots of respect in our nation. Now in regards to the city the ungrateful there need to realise we didn't invest billions just to have the place slip from our fingers. At the end of the day there will be a presence of Seaforth there. Now I could perhaps conceed the city itself going back to the Republic of Marseille but on two conditions, the first would be that we retain the base and the port we have built there and all the rights that brings, the second would be that we are given tariff free trade with Albion through the port. These rights would be eternal. That way we at least get compensation for the time. We though prefer to go back to the way the city was before these Real Marseille rabble rousers and your ASDN buddy Empress Serena began causing trouble. Now I will also warn you that I intend to fly aircraft into Troyes to reinforce the garrison there, take supplies in and bring home the families of the soldiers who are there. You though placed me in a rather tight spot as to do so I will be, according to you, violating the air space of Marseille as I will not be asking Sauzee's or any other politicans permission."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2024, 10:59:34 PM »
"I believe I should start with saying that there are those in the Imperial Palace who find themselves quite vexed with the situation, after all, the approach we've seen involving Real Marseilles and Aosta has placed Rokkenjima in a position it does not wish to be in. It was not the intention of the Empress, when signing the Joint Statement regarding Troyes, that such measures would lay on the horizon; she was expecting something much more nuanced and rooted in a diplomacy-first understanding. I personally find the actions which have led us to this point to be most reckless, abandoning the sorts of norms and standards through which this could have otherwise been settled, especially to anyone who knows the character of Seaforth, yet now we're sat here talking when diplomacy could have yielded much greater results with less risk prior to them essentially forcing the issue. Personally, as I speak here essentially amongst family, Rokkenjima is frustrated that the actions of Aosta and Abertone have placed us in this present position, and while I might not have been born a Rhodes I too have shed blood and bled myself for Seaforth."

"This is a situation none of us asked for," she continued, "yet it's my hope we may ultimately make the best of it." After she had spoke Evanthe reflected within herself, a part of her was resentful that this business had been laid in her lap, and it was likely that Andrew, with an intellect she'd come to know amongst the Rhodes, would pick up upon the fact that she wasn't supportive of the present status of things, that while Rokkenjima had made clear that it would honour the Pyrettania-Eventide Accord, they were all walking a tight rope to support the nascent ADSN and, personally, she would find it difficult to recommend that the Empress turn her back on those Accords as prescribed by the discussions within the ADSN.

The trip here had more of an impact upon her than she had initially anticipated it would, her mind finding itself reflecting on the day that Joshua had informed everyone on that day that Andrew, not himself, would be King. It was hard not to recall her embrace with Joshua on that day and how Josiah had wedged himself between them after being initially, albeit unintentionally, left out; it was a moment that was instantly refreshed in her memory. Understandably she'd likely have an irritated Serenity now to deal with, but there would also be the matter of what Andrew did from this point as well. Certainly she was happy with where fate had positioned her and, while naturally there were events she could have done without going through, there remained something in the air and the surroundings which tugged her away from the game plan which she had just gone over with Serenity prior to entering the room, circumstances which she would have recognized in a subordinate which would have led her to removing them from any member of a team under her purview involved in such discussions, yet it was far too late to remove herself from the proceedings before them.

"If we may speak personally when official matters are concluded," Evanthe again spoke, "I would be most appreciative of your time. Naturally I wish to arrange for some time for Josiah to spend some time with you all, to know more of the family and land that is equally an important part of him and his heritage, amongst other matters that I've sought to reconcile for some time that perhaps can only find an answer here, at home so to say. I never intended to re-enter Rokkenjiman politics following my reign, but when your niece asks you to do something for her that carries some weight, as such a request like that isn't easily denied, I'm sure you can understand. With that being said," Evanthe paused, "let us return to the matter at hand and do what we can to unfoul the business before us, yes?"

Beatrice Anselmo