Roleplay > Convention Centre

CETO Festival 2024 Scholars Meeting

(1/1)

DaveIronside:
Professor Marcus Merriman made his way into the conference centre put aside for the Scholars meeting. A chance for those professors and their teams appointed to represent their nation. This was a kind of passing of a torch, while Marcus had been perhaps the most respected of East Moreland scholars for the past few decades he was reaching 80 years of age this year and while his passion for study had not slacked one bit his body was becoming more frail. Dr.Maddie Howard, one of his young protege's was alongside hi, providing not just moral support but also what Marcus referred to as "Logistical" support that being opening doors for him as he plodded forward with his two walking sticks, each carved out of deep aged wood and adorned with small shields nailed to the sticks showing places he'd visited. Marcus took a seat and then waited for all the other scholars to arrive. Once everyone was seated he stood.

"My fellow history geeks" he began with a smile "I am delighted to once again see you all. I am excited to see what, if any, matters people have to bring before us this year be it the inclusion of new sites for the register, the presentation of new papers or any other such matters. I believe the first issue on the table is about sites. I'm grateful that our colleagues from Daito have forwarded two sites. We shall obviously take them a site at a time." He shuffled some papers until Maddie handed him the correct one. He kept two copies and then passed them to his right. "Just like being in class, take one and pass them on" he explained as he continued to talk. "The first site we have is Hatsukaichi Peace Memorial. I'll give you a moment or two to consider any questions we have." He paused and had a quick rescan of the information they'd been given. "Any questions?" he asked the assembled group giving them a chance to scrutinise the delegation from Daito before a vote.

OOC- I suggest we have 48 hours real time (so 10pm UK time on Thursday) for people to post any questions for Daito. Should there be any then Daito can answer them and then we can look at a vote.

Achkaerin:
Doctor Donna Steele had to crack a smile at Marcus's words the two of them had been there ten years earlier in Avalon at the first meeting of the scholars and now here they were for the latest, it wasn't just Donna present for Achkaerin Melanie Bell was also there.

"It's hard to believe it's ten years since the first time did this." Donna said "When this organisation was created the criteria for admission of sites was also determined one of which is that the site must have significance beyond its own borders to quote the treaty 'sites which are of interest to more than one nation'. When I look at this application that aspect is wafer thin. I think our Daitojin colleague should explain how this site has significance in other nations, yes it's a war memorial, yes it commemorates a horrific act that is historical but then again by that argument one could say that the village of Halsteads in Seaforth is equally as deserving of this status. I don't think the presence of names alone does enough. So as I've said I'd like our Daitojin colleague to elaborate on how this site has significance in other nations."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version