Author Topic: Asadal: A Heavenly Invitation  (Read 1648 times)

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
Asadal: A Heavenly Invitation
« on: October 07, 2023, 07:47:48 PM »

The Great Kingdom of Asadal

The city of Hwangjin, capital city of the Great Kingdom of Asadal, as most cities and provinces in the country, was already in the middle of the celebrations of the Midyear Moon Festival, one of the most important cultural and religious festivities held in the country through the year. In Inner Hwangjin, it also coincided with the postponed celebrations of the third anniversay of Great King Wohnyo's coronation, and his ceremonial union with Noble Lady Im.

While the Great Kingdom of Asadal may be the most diplomatically active in the Ardian continents, invitations were provided not only to the religious authorities and prominent members of the country, as well as relatives of the future consort, but to several foreign representatives as a continuation of the strengthened of diplomatic relations started since the coronation of Grand King Wonhyo, three years ago.

For those invitees from outside the city and the country, accomodations in Inner Hwangjin were offered. Inner Hwangjin is the most exclusive part of the capital city, in which tourists are rarely allowed. Its streets were unusually decorated and colourful, in celebration of the Midyear Moon Festival. The ceremonial union is expected to take place in one of the courtyards of the Heavenly Palace, the residence of the monarch and the royal family, as well as seat of the highest offices of the national government.

OOC: unless there is a legitimate reason why your government wouldn't have been invited, everyone is free to send a representative.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Asadal: A Heavenly Invitation
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 10:01:28 PM »
As soon as an invite arrived and said "rarely allowed" it was always obvious to the Chief of Royal Household, Quinn Germaine, that the King was going to be attending. He had little idea about the hosts culture but that was what excited the King, yet another chance to go and see places you'd normally only read about it books. He'd flown over a few days early and visited some friends in the Commonwealth of the Iwi meaning a quick helicopter ride the next morning would leave him fresh and ready to learn and enjoy the day in what he hoped would be equal measure. He was unsure exactly where he was meant to be going and after various phone calls by his security detail and a few cross words between his chief agent, Will Buckley, and a driver they found themselves at Inner Hwangjin.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 11:21:18 PM »
   As the aircraft approached the airbase near Hwangjin, Eijirō quietly studied a DTS dossier on the Grand Kingdom. He'd never been before, nor had he thought, until very recently anyways, that he would ever need to visit the country. He knew the language—or at least, the "Dalseomin" language, which was mutually intelligible—so there would be no need for a translator or intermediary of any kind. What would be troublesome, however, was his poor grasp on their customs, information on which this record was sorely lacking. He would need to keep an open mind, which was something he was certain to try. If he could spend much of his youth abroad, immersed in a culture so deeply separate from his own, he would surely be able to manage a day or two in a fellow East Ardian state. Soon enough, he placed the dossier aside and took his seat before landing.

*Thud*

Wheel stop. He, his wife, and their entourage had arrived. A few minutes would pass as everything on the ground was made ready, during which time he would straighten his uniform—he wouldn't dream of going down those steps in a traditional Sokutai or other robe, though something of the sort had been packed for later—before placing his hat upon his head. From there, he and Mayumi would approach the door of the aircraft, exchanging a glance at one another before exiting the vehicle to the standard degree of fanfare expected with such a visit. Playing of national anthems, the presence of flags belonging to both countries, a meeting with the Ambassador, the works. After a few more minutes, they would be on their way, taking a carefully selected route through the city until they, too, would reach Inner Hwangjin.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 04:25:49 PM »
It had been a bit of a hassle to arrive in time with the Invitations arriving somewhat short notice. The Airship had to get prepared short noticed and the Emperor got on it as soon as possible. They took a fueling stop for the Airship in the commonwealth before having to circle ways around the Mountains. Landing space for the, to most nations antiquated, way of travel not easy to find as usual it took another delay for Orion to arrive at the Venue. It was his first official visit to another nation in years, he had hoped it to be one of their close allies, but it had to make due for now.

There was a piece of him excited to see the rarely seen and forbidden places only he usually gets to see, not unlike the lodijan isle of goddess he had been able to witness unlike many of it's own citizens. Not to mention one of the last times he would likely get to do so without whatever annoying bore or arrogant brat was put to his side come next year. Orion looked  out his window, watching the venue draw closer. Let's hope some of the more enjoyable rulers where to attend this year.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 11:17:36 PM »

Inner Hwangjin, Great Kingdom of Asadal

After their reception and arrival, the guests were taken to the capital city, crossing Outer Hwangjin to enter in Inner Hwangjin, where they were accommodated in the Joheun Huimang Palace, situated in the center district of the city. Joheun Huimang was one of the largest buildings of the capital (excluding, of course, the Heavenly Palace and the most important religious temples located in the area). Its northern ward, served as residency for much of the palace staff and government officials who reside permanently in the city. The guests were invited and accommodated in the southern ward. As there were not too many of foreign guests who came to the ceremony, they were located in a floor for each national delegation, for reasons of comfort and security. It was true that the rooms were not excessively large, even if comfortable, and decorated with a rather minimalist style, but it was equipped with the commodities which one could find in a luxury hotel, at least regarding the standards in the Great Kingdom. Each room was also equipped with oxygen supplies as well as a room with oxygen chambers in each floor in case the guests felt they had need of them.

The first part of the ceremony already started early in the morning, with the retinue led by Noble Lady Im and his father arrived to the palace. Noble Lady Im, besides a bit nervous, felt also slightly uncomfortable as it was the first time she was dressed in a traditional dress (in her previous visit to the palace, she was wearing an elegant but modest in foreign fashion). She and his father entered to the Gwijunghan Hall, where the Grand King and the Royal Secretary next to him were already waiting. They knelt down and bowed four times, as the tradition establishes, while the Grand King remained sat down on the throne. After the introduction of courtesy, the father gave the Royal Secretary the royal scroll in which it was announced her appointment as Noble Consort Lady. The Grand King opened and checked it, without too much interest, and gave it back to the Royal Secretary, which closed with the royal stamp so it could be taken to the royal archives.

The Royal Secretary announced them they could leave now, accompanied by a member of the protocol personnel. Noble Lady Im and Grand King Wonhyo did not exchange any words, although they could not avoid to quietly stare at each other with their eyes. Then, she was taken to be received by the Queen Dowager, the Grand Queen Dowager, and Queen Hong by order of inverse seniority. They were already waiting and she respectfully offered her respect after being announced. The meetings were formal, following the protocol, and rather brief.

Noble Lady Im found Queen Dowager Shin the most friendly. "Even if in completely different circumstances, of course, you remind me to myself not a lot time ago", she told her. "I wish you more luck than it was conceived to me".

Grand Queen Dowager was not hostile but Noble Lady Im felt that she was disappointing. "I wish you good luck. I hope you will not disappoint us", the old woman told her as the meeting ended.

Back in the Inner Palace, she found Queen Hong much more serious than in the previous meeting they had. "I am convinced that you're well aware of the nature of your role. I expect you to perform with honour and servitude, nothing more and nothing less", the Queen told her as a final advice.

Her father was waiting in the main courtyard. He seemed worried so she answered him with a smile. The doors of the palace opened and their retinue left. The rest of the day, Noble Lady Im, as the tradition establishes, will spent it visiting a nearby Cheonite temple, in which she would pray ans ask for a blessing to the residing monks, only returning to Inner Hawngjin at the end of the day.

OOC: Anyone can still attend to the ceremony. Just mention your arrival to the Heavenly Palace the next day. I'll start the second part of the ceremony later in the week.       

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 01:11:56 PM »

Heavenly Palace, Inner Hwangjin, Great Kingdom of Asadal

The gates of the Heavenly Palace opened early in the morning for the second day of the ceremony. While the number of guests was not too numerous, a crowd formed at the entrance of the palace. They started to move as soon as it was announced that Grand King Wonhyo had started to receive the guests.

Guests advanced toward the Throne Hall, in the Inner Palace, where the Grand King was waiting. The way there was ceremoniously guarded by Grand Royal Guards, before each guest was welcomed by Royal Secretary Hongju, who announced them to the Grand King. Commander Lee guarded the three-gate entrance, as Prince Yun, head of the Grand Royal Guard, was absent. Most of the guests were only a few seconds in the presence of the Grand King, as they did merely gave a reference, a salute, and offer and give their gifts to the Grand King before the ceremony.

For some important guests, including foreign ones, more time was allowed in their introduction and meeting with Grand King Wonhyo. After advancing through the previous inner gates, the guests reached the main courtyard which led to the Throne Hall. The entrance to the Throne Hall was formed by three gates: two minor gates and the larger main one. Every guest was remembered of the royal protocol, which established that only the King and the Queen were allowed to pass through the main hall, while men had to pass through the minor right gate and women through the minor left gate. Finally, the Royal Secretary announced the first foreign guest.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 10:04:28 PM »
While the arechecture reminded King David of his time in Lijiang the protocols were very different. He remembered entering the Golden Enclave of Lijiang and the Dragon-Empress clearly telling him that it was considered important that he enter with his left foot first while Stasya enter with the right. He smiled to himself as he remembered Tielin reinforcing his wife's words of advice. "Its easy to remember" the Dragon-Emperor had begun, "Men step with their left foot as we remember women are always right." Here the doors seemed reversed and he ensured he did as instructed. This morning David and Will stood waiting and when the King's name was called he took the long leather tube from his security agent and despite not even being in Lijiang stepped in through the gate he'd been directed to with his left foot. He made his way towards the Grand King. "Your Majesty its wonderful to meet you" The King said after giving a brief respectful nod of his head. He carefully unhooked the silver metallic catch that held a leather cap over the rich brown leather tube. With a deft tilt the King caught a milky white scroll of parchment as it emerged from the tube. "I am sad to say I missed a chance to deliver what has become a traditional gift on your coronation but I hope you can forgive the lateness" The King Unfurled the document, it was brightly decorated down one edge with images of peacocks, brightly coloured fish and tigers. The text was beautifully formed calligraphy. "I am told by Dr.Maddie Howard that this is an attempt by a Morelander in the 1600s at translating some philosophical texts from this region, sadly I'm told that the text is not exactly well translated but I believe it shows the oldest confirmed connection between our nations in terms of culture. I hope that the messages it badly translates can somehow help guide our nations towards a better friendship in the future." Having held the scroll which while a translation nightmare was very pretty so the host could see it the King expertly rolled it back up and placed it back in the tube clipping the silver clasp back in place." It had become somewhat of a tradition of King David to present a book, or in this case a scroll, to new monarchs on their coronation. He'd been inspired by Dr.Marcus Merriman who had given him an old 12th century manuscript in which the then High Priestess had written what virtues a good King should have. While he couldn't have said he'd followed all the advice it had been proudly hanging on his own office wall as a reminder ever since. The King's gift delivered and hopes of friendship made the King left to await whatever happened next. As he returned he checked he'd departed through the correct gate and then made his way over to the others waiting.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 08:35:31 PM »

Orion had noticed the strict protocols around the Palace everywhere he looked. A Part of him wondered if the Asadal King actually had a place of respite in his own home, just like the young Emperor had his Atelier. He doubted it, was the man even alone on the privy or was there someone watching them even there? There was a sense of pity in the young adult as he approached the gate with his entourage just as David had finished his audience.

Two young men followed the emperor through the men's gate, dressed in orange togas they carried two wrapped up gifts. of course these two where chosen because while as young as Orion, the two where even a little shorter than the emperor himself. Orion still hadn't become a massively tall person, and stopped growing slightly short of 1,70 meters. To far too many he still seemed like a little child, even striding proud in his purple toga and silken tunic towards the host, the golden wreath upon his platinum blonde hair.
Orion gave them a short wink as the two knelt down next to him, holding the gifts out as he addressed the high King:

"Your Majesty, the Empire of Neu Uburzis, and myself personally as well, bring our well wishes to you and your people. We Hope your reign shall see many flowers bloom and many trees to be planted. While we are woefully unaware of what is considered an adequate gift for a King, we have brought two Pieces to add to your Royal treasury, if you so desire."

Orion gave a wink to one of his attendees, allowing them to unwrap the first gift from the teen at his right side without actually touching the object.

"We have a tradition that each Emperor gets to add one piece to the Imperial Regalia upon ascendance to the throne. Hence our craftsmen have worked tirelessly upon receiving your invitation to craft pieces worthy as a gift to another Monarch."

The first unwrapped gift contained a currently disassembled gilded Ebony spear, with a brilliant green Jade head for the moment locked away securely in a glass box. Orion then gave a nod to the second attendee to unravel the second piece:

"Though since we have been informed we are celebrating two occasions, we brought a second gift."

The second gift sits upon a small tablet, a silver tea set decorated with finely etched artwork of a Pair of Wolves tending to their numerous offspring on the Cups, and ruling over the Forest on the actual teapot. There's various hunting scenes on the other accommodating pieces.

"I hope these two gifts will bring you much joy."

Orion gave a small nod before retreating to where the other guests where waiting, giving David a smile: "It's been to long." he says, walking up to him: "I hope they enjoy these. Some workshops pulled several all nighters to get them done in time. It was all a little short notice."

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 02:31:07 PM »
Grand King Wonhyo received King David in the Throne Hall. He stood up when the guest from East Moreland finished his salute. Not merely as a sign of courtesy, but because he was tired of being sat down in the throne  for a long time since earlier that morning.

"We are also honoured to have you as a guest", the Grand King replied. "Even here, stories about your reign reached our lands".

The Grand King carefully observed the document offered. "I suppose a rabbit was not involved", he told the Royal Secretary. In this occasion, the Grand King's words were not translated.

"The practical and historical value does not always go hand in hand, particularly as time goes on", the Grand King replied. "I will order that the document is studied by our experts, so its knowledge and value can be shared across our nation for those interested".

"I am hopeful your visit establishes a new relation between our nations", he added.

The Grand King observed the three men fron Neu Uburzis. They were considerably shorter than one could expect from upper status men from a distant nation, being Orion himself about ten centimeters shorten than the Grand King.

"We are honoured for your visit", Grand King Wonhyo replied. "I hope you felt at ease at our capital city. I also wish you back the best future for you and your subjects, as well as stronger relations established between our nation and yours".

The Grand King observed the gifts brought by Orion. "I have no doubt that your craftsmen must be highly talented", he said. "I am convinced these would be the first objects produced in your nation to ever enter the walls of the palace. I can see they are highly valuable gifts, but this circumstance can only increase their value".

The Grand King waited for the next guest as soon as the men from Neu Uburzis left the Throne Hall.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 10:59:33 AM »

The guests were taken into one of the main courtyards of the Inner Palace. Wooden flooring and seats were prepared. A small wooden table was put in the middle of the courtyard, with carpets and silky cushions at both sides of the table. On the west, there was a wooden platform with three seats for the three distinguished guests: the Queen, the Grand Queen Dowager and Queen Dowager Shin, with a few of their personal servants and assistants standing on their side. On the opposite side, there was the rest of guests. While there were some seats distributed, the tradition established that they should stay standing as soon as the Grand King left the Throne Hall in direction to the ceremonial table.

The first one to make an appearance was Noble Lady Im, dressed in traditional clothing and hairstyle. She walked slowly, along her own father, until she reached the priest, respectfully bowing to him. Then, this time without the company of his father, she moved toward the wooden platform. She slowly knelt in front of Queen Dowager Shin and bowed four times. She repeated the same procedure in front of the Grand Queen Dowager and finally to Queen Hong. Then, she left to go directly to the table, sitting in direction to the south.

About ten minutes later, the Grand King left the Throne Hall toward the ceremonial table. The Royal Band played some religious tune as he approached. He would sit down in direction to the north, effectively looking directly to the entry of the Throne Hall. Before he could take her seat, Noble Lady Im bowed four times to the Grand King.

"Noble Lady Im looks so young", Queen Dowager Shin whispered. "But she achieves to look so both solemn and graceful".

"Indeed", Grand Queen Dowager replied. "They look like a beautiful couple, don't you agree? It reminds me your own wedding".

"The ceremony was different", Queen Hong added.

"Of course, of course ",  Grand Queen Dowager replied. "But I can't help to remember the chills I once experienced when I entered for first time when I entered the palace".

"We are honoured to have someone who is able to remember the beginning of the modern times, Grand Queen Dowager", Queen Hong replied.

The conversation did not continued, as the priest started to recite the ceremonial hymn. As he did it, his two assistant started to prepare the ceremonial ointment.

Noble Lady Im remained knelt in front of the Grand King, which was sat down with his legs crossed. Two ceramic bowls were placed in the place. The Grand King took a sip of the drink, and Noble Lady Im followed. Then, they interchanged their bowls. The Grand King simply took a larger sip, while Noble Lady Im tried to elegantly finish it off.  She attempted to retain the composure of her expression. It was not easy, however, as she found the ceremonial drink too bitter and unpleasant. There was not exchange of written vows as it is traditional as the ceremonial union was not an official wedding ceremony, after all.

"The Sun and the Moon shall welcome this union", the priest proclaimed.

A silence followed. Then, the Grand King stood up, and every of the local guests knelt. He left then toward the Throne Hall entry, while the ceremonial music was sounding again. Once he had disappeared from the sight of everyone, the music stopped to sound and the guest stood up again. Then, the Royal Secretary addressed the guests, announced that from this moment, Noble Lady Im was proclaimed as Noble Consort Im and welcomed to the Heavenly Palace. Then, the Royal Guards knelt in front of her.

As she left toward her new chambers in the palace, along two Palace Ladies, the Royal Secretary announced that the ceremony had ended, and the guests prepared to left as the gates of the palace were about to open.

The Royal Secretary approached the foreign guests and wished them "a future as bright as the union you have witnessed today".

"Preparations for your return will be ready as soon as tomorrow early in the morning", the Royal Secretary announced. "If you wished to stay a few more days in order to have an official audience with the His Great Majesty the Grand King, or a meeting with a representative with the government, you should simply inform my office", he told them.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2023, 09:10:26 PM »
Orion had actually enjoyed the rituals and witnessing a different culture, it did remind him off their own and how nervous he was about the cleansing ritual for his coronation years back now. What he had not enjoyed, was what was going on now. No, he wasn't just not enjoying it, he was outright angry when the Secretary approached him. With just a few words the man had made it undoubtedly clear how much of an afterthought his presence here really was. Make an appointment with his Secretary? Did these people utterly forget whom they had invited? He had felt like a Stage prop during the Ritual and the long waiting game already, but now it was made clear just how much he had been a fancy trophy here and nothing more. He was very done here, and he would, most definitely, not beg to be heard. He was the Emperor of Neu Uburzis, not one of this Kings subjects.

He forced himself to his most polite smile before addressing the Secretary:

"That won't be necessary. I'll be taking my leave now as my schedule won't allow an overnight stay."

Orion took a deliberate step away from the man, before looking back at him over his shoulder:

"Do inform your High King however, that i found the Palace Staff and Servants to have been very attentive to our needs and where giving it their best to create a hospital environment. He would also be a welcome guest to stay at my own Palace should he ever desire to visit the Empire."

Finally Orion turned towards David and inclined his head to him: "Until the next time we meet upon foreign soils, King Ironside. It is always a pleasure with his Highness around."

Back at the Airship, Orion flopped into an Armchair and enjoyed a cup of tea while loading up another textbook on his tablet. This was going to be a long flight and he had wasted too much time he didn't have on this today. Hopefully today wasn't all in vain, but the Emperor did not intend to hold his breath.