Author Topic: Suvvi, Suvvi, Suvvi! | The Sutherland Factbook  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Glitchy

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Sutherland
Suvvi, Suvvi, Suvvi! | The Sutherland Factbook
« on: October 02, 2017, 12:40:53 PM »
Flag
Coat of Arms

Motto:
- Official: Advance Sutherland
- Colloiqual: Suvvi, Suvvi, Suvvi! Oi, Oi, Oi!
National Anthem: Waltzing Matilda

BACKGROUND

For about 50,000 years before the first Ardian settlement in the late 18th century, Sutherland was inhabited by indigenous Sutherians, who spoke languages classifiable into roughly 250 groups. After the Ardian discovery of the continent by explorers in 1606, Sutherland's eastern half was claimed by the Ardian Empire in 1750 and initially settled through penal transportation to the colony of New East Ardia from 26 January 1763. The population grew steadily in subsequent decades, and by the 1850s most of the country had been explored and an additional five self-governing crown colonies established.

After numerous disputes between the colonies and the Ardian Empire, New East Ardia and Kingsland declared independence from Ardia on 1 February 1901, which led to the subsequent Sutherian Revolution. The Sutherian Revolution lasted until 1913, where Sutherland, second only to Rokkenjima, was able to successfully rebel from the Ardian Empire.

[W.I.P]

Government Type: Constitutional Federal Republic
Population:: 34,698,231
Capital City: Malboura (4.8 million)
Demonym:
- Official: Sutherian
- Colloquial: Suvvi/Suvvo

ECONOMY

Currency: Sutherian Dollar (§)
GDP per Capita: 48,927.69 USD
Unemployment Rate: 4.9%
Primary Exports:
- Coal
- Iron ore
- Gold
- Meat
- Wool
- Alumina
- Wheat
- Machinery

PEOPLE

Ethnicity:
- Sutherian: 87%
- Maori: 6%
- Other: 7%
Languages:
- English: 95% (Official)
- Maori: 4%
- Other: 1%
Religions:
- Christianity: 52% (Majority Catholic)
- No Religion: 37%
- Native Maori Faith: 5%
- Other: 6%
Average Life Expectancy:
- Total: 80 Years
- Male: 78 Years
- Female: 82 Years

GOVERNMENT

Head of State: The President
Head of Government: President Malcum Truman
Name of Legislative Body:
- Upper House: Senate
- Lower House: House of Representatives

INDEX (W.I.P)

Name:
- Etymology

History:
- Pre-colonial history
- Ardian Arrival
- Colonial expansion
- Independence
- Sutherian Nationhood

Geography:
- General features
- Climate
- Biodiversity

Government and Politics:
- General information
- States and territories
- Foreign relations
- Military

Economics:
- Sutherian economy

Demography:
- General demography
- Language
- Religion
- Health
- Education

Culture
- Art
- Media
- Cuisine
- Sports and recreation
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:01:08 PM by Glitchy »
I USED TO BE LUVONIA

Sutherland Links:
- Factbook
- Characters (W.I.P)
- News
- Vignettes
- Map of Sutherland (W.I.P)

Offline Glitchy

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: Suvvi, Suvvi, Suvvi! | The Sutherland Factbook
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:23:19 PM »
ETYMOLOGY

The name Sutherland is derived from the Ardian Suther Terra ("new land"), a name used for a hypothetical red-coloured and arid land in Eastern Ardia since ancient times. When Ardians first began visiting and mapping Sutherland in the 17th century, the name Suther Terra was naturally applied to the new lands.

Until the early 19th century, Sutherland was best known as "Newland", a name first applied by the Ardian explorer Abel Tasman in 1674. Suther Terra still saw occasional usage, such as in scientific texts. The name Sutherland was popularised by the explorer Matthew Bathurst, who declared it was "more agreeable to the ear, and an assimilation to the names of the other great portions of the earth". The first time that Sutherland appears to have been officially used was in April 1817, in which Governor Lachlan Macquarie acknowledged the receipt of Bathurst's charts of Sutherland from Lord Flinders. In December 1817, Macquarie recommended to the Colonial Office that it be formally adopted. In 1824, the Admiralty agreed that the country should be known officially by that name. The first official published use of the new name came with the 1830 publication of "The Sutherland Directory" by the Hydrographic Office.

Colloquial names for Sutherland include "Suv" and "the Land Down Under" (usually shortened to just "Down Under"). Other epithets include "the Great Suvvi Land", "the Lucky Country", "the Sunburnt Country", and "the Wide Brown Land". The latter two both derive from Theresa Mackellar's 1903 patriotic poem "My Country".
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:01:25 PM by Glitchy »
I USED TO BE LUVONIA

Sutherland Links:
- Factbook
- Characters (W.I.P)
- News
- Vignettes

Offline Glitchy

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: Suvvi, Suvvi, Suvvi! | The Sutherland Factbook
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »
PRE-COLONIAL HISTORY

Human habitation of modern-day Sutherland is estimated to have begun around 65,000 to 70,000 years ago, possibly with the migration of people by land bridges and short sea-crossings from what is now Coft Aranye. These first inhabitants may have been ancestors of modern Indigenous Sutherland. At the time of Ardian settlement in the late 18th century, most Indigenous Sutherians were hunter-gatherers with complex economies, cultures and societies. Indigenous Sutherians have a strong relation to oral culture with spiritual values based on reverence for the land and a belief in the Dreamtime. The eastern coasts of Sutherland are known to have been sporadically by fishermen from what is now the Iwi and other areas.

Indigenous rock art of the Rainbow Snake in the state of Northern Sutherland
I USED TO BE LUVONIA

Sutherland Links:
- Factbook
- Characters (W.I.P)
- News
- Vignettes