Roleplay > Vignettes

The Castle On The Hill

(1/6) > >>

Beatrice:

The Castle On The Hill
Stories From Pyrena Castle
Pyrena Castle, the heart of the Imperial Government and home of the Imperial Family, has seen many historic events within its halls. With the return of Empress Beatrice how will she approach the changes instituted by Empress Evanthe? What challenges will be faced with a changing and uncertain world?

Also known to possess a semi-functional TARDIS replica in its basement.

[This is a placeholder for now. Expect an updated introduction in the coming days.]

Beatrice:
Time: 9:25 AST

"As we know Abstergo has undertaken development of supercaptivating torpedoes as well as hypersonic missiles to be fielded upon Rokkenjiman submarines, though we are considering a multitude of options in regards to the continued development of our missile procurement," Marshal Admiral Cole said as he reviewed his notes. "However, Rosa Naval Systems has been working on a project of its own during the development of Abstergo's projects and, for various reasons, we've not made its existence known in the public sphere. RNS has kept Imperial High Command up-to-date on its progress with the Project-4 Oceanic Delivery System, or as we've come to call it Isonade."

"Project-4 is a nuclear powered, unmanned underwater vehicle capable of delivering either a conventional or nuclear payload, as well as being immune to anti-missile defence systems that could be employed against an ICBM or SLBM. It will be able to target the naval ports and coastal cities of an adversary, and we're also exploring options for targeting naval battle-groups as well. The Project-4 undersea autonomous torpedo will possess a range of 5,400 nautical miles and, as I understand, RNS is aiming for a speed of 100 knots. In a configuration of last resort Isonade could be called upon to create a tsunami wave up to 1,600 feet tall, contaminating vast swaths of an adversary's coast with radioactive isotopes while rendering the area uninhabitable for up to a century. Naturally such a configuration would most certainly be a deterrent, though conventional applications could expand the mission profile of Isonade."

"Furthermore, stealth technology is employed to elude acoustic tracking devices, while the depths at which it travels allow the element of surprise. While I personally hope we'll never be forced to irradiate a coastal region I cannot discount the deterrent value it represents, especially with the missile developments we've seen abroad. When we further consider the possibilities of striking an adversary from multiple positions, such as the deployment of Project-4 in conjunction with fractional orbital bombardment, allowing for our forces to decisively overwhelm an adversary."

"And where does RNS stand on the development of Project-4?" Euphemia asked. "We presently do not have a firm time-table in hand, as you can appreciate new weapons systems take time to develop, test and, ultimately, introduce. It is a project we are following closely" Cole replied. "Thank you Marshal Admiral, though in respect to Abstergo's missile project I must ask why we are pursuing a duplication of efforts. Would it not be of more benefit to pursue cooperation in such fields?"

"These are projects which were authorized previously in response to platforms such as Zircon with a focus on indigenous capability. If collaboration is sought it is certainly within the remit of the Council to make the necessary approvals to pursue a collaborative approach." "Then I do believe you have the intentions of the Throne before you, and I trust the Council knows to take the steps necessary to make it so."

Beatrice:
Time: 1:57 AST

With the coastline of Achkaerin fading in the distance Beatrice found herself walking about the Austrana as if it were her first time setting eyes upon the Imperial Yacht. Her journey had been long, and much distance remained to be covered, but she felt as if the pieces were beginning to fall into place. Later today she would sit with Rokkenjiman intelligence and military officials to discuss the situation in Seaforth and the Rokkenjiman response, with Austrana already having set course for Somerset so she could offer her support to Evanthe in what was undoubtedly a confusing and difficult situation. Following that, a return to Pyrettania and some much needed time to reconnect with her family, friends and the nation itself.

She looked to her phone, swiping naturally to Alex's number to be greeted with his face and an option to call him, though she stopped short of pressing the button to complete the call. They had found themselves in a situation unthinkable, the distance and time apart not being adequately bridged by letters alone. This too would take some time to mend, though the process in rebuilding their lives would have to begin somewhere. She pressed the button, allowing just the start of a ring to go through, before placing it down on the table beside her.

Picking it up again she repeated the same series of motions and actions, before finally allowing the call to connect.

Alex watched his phone as Beatrice’s face flashed up, the sleek glass and metal device vibrating against his breakfast table. A sigh escaped his lips, a feeling of unease slipping deep into his stomach. Placing a finger on the round icon, he slid it across the screen.

He held the phone to his ear. Silence for a second. “Hel…” he went to say, pausing just briefly, “Hey, Bea.”

"Hello," her reply came after a moment, "I guess a part of me was afraid you'd changed your number by now," she said, an attempt at humour that perhaps sounded better in her mind than it had passing her lips. "We're on our way out of Achkaerinese waters as I speak, bound for Somerset. I'm sure you've heard the news about Seaforth, Evanthe will need someone there to lean on. How are things with you, Adriana, Lucius? It's been so long I've feared I'd be reunited with you all just to find you're all different people. I know that may be silly, though sadly it's been difficult to dispel all the fears in my head. I've missed your voice," she continued, digressing from the previous collection of conversations she'd directed at him.

Alex let out a slight chuckle, "I'm uh, honestly a little confused by it all. I...haven't really followed the news. Though I have a shadow of them vanishing in my head," he mused, "but maybe I've just been playing too much Life is Strange." The line remained quiet for a while longer. "Adriana is...finding it tough. Lucius is Lucius, getting in to all types of trouble. But Adriana...she uh, well...eh," he finished, unable to find words as he shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm sorry," she said after absorbing his words, "Did I reach too high, no," she said dismissing that line of thought. "Our goals were noble, and it's not our fault that slimy prick stabbed us in the back, nor is it our fault that instead of developing their nation and caring for their people the Toshers squandered my generosity and good-will," she said, her tone shifting from somewhat pitiful to angry quite quickly. "We handed them every opportunity in the world Alex, and Offdensen, he took that dream, that seed of peace and perverted it for....for what? As far as I am concerned it is his fault that our family was torn asunder, he put us through this, and our only solace is that he will never see the light of day again as a free man. I know things will be alright eventually but, right now, my heart is filled with so much anger, longing, sadness...it's not a healthy mixture of emotions."

Alex took a moment to allow Beatrice's words to sink in. "I understand," he finally said, carefully choosing his next words. "It was something I...I'm not a criminal," he almost spat down the phone, there was a high degree of bitterness. "That bastard ruined us...I can't," he sucked in a sharp breath, "I don't want anything to do with it anymore. Any of it. Being Emperor, being a Prince...politics, legal stuff, people...people hate me. I...sometimes I do, too."

"I know the feeling," Beatrice sighed, "I mean, with Lucinda things with the Morelanders are quite complicated and may be for some time, but at the same time I had to remain quiet, I couldn't risk my words causing a life to be lost. While it would be nice to disappear, and let's be honest we could if we wanted to, the Imperial Navy wouldn't object if I told them I was taking the Austrana indefinitley and to look to Euphemia for further guidance, but that would be too easy. No, he doesn't get to take everything we've worked for from us. We're going to come back ten times stronger and show him and Mundus our strength so that the next time....no, there will be no next time, they'll know the consequences will be too great to even try."

"Speaking of which," Beatrice paused as she read the report, "Imperial High Command is confident Ichinose will be found guilty of his crimes against Rokkenjima. I understand that, under IRAF regulations, he'll be put to death unless I intervene and utilize my prerogative of mercy." She chuckled for a moment, "However, I've no mercy to grant to those who have betrayed my trust and conspired with enemies of the Crown. He'll be the first example, and hopefully the last. I know we're no fans of capital punishment, but if the military deems it just I shall leave it in their hands."

"That is, unless, you should object?"

Alex was clenching his phone, his hand shaking ever so slightly against his ear. That was a lot of information for him to take in. Lucinda, Morelanders, Euphemia. It entered one ear, escaped through the other. It wasn't that he didn't care, or at least, it wasn't that he didn't want to care - that he certainly did. He'd lost his understanding. He had excluded himself from the world during his time in exile, and continued to do today. "I..." he said, chocking out the words, "I...can't. No more deaths, I..." His voice trailed off, his face scrunched in agony.

During his time in the Nordic region, the Prince of Littlebrook had mostly avoided attention - his responsibilities focused on the daily work and not any wider consequences. He had, for the most part managed to keep the thoughts of those who'd been killed out of his mind. The millions dead, as had been explained in court, were just a number. Yet one day, while coordinating voluntary work  at one of the many shelters, a protest began condemning him for his actions. That evening he began watching newsreels and video footage, reading articles, newspaper stories and Twitter comments, all detailing what truly happened. Numbers became faces, faces became names, names became stories. Stories that he had let end. The thought of allowing someone else to die - it was almost too much.

"I'm sorry, I must sound such a hypocrite to in one breath say my words shouldn't bring one further death just to look cheerfully towards a potential execution. I'll discuss our options with Henry and see what he thinks is best, see if there is an alternative which IHC can consider, 'kay? On a brighter note, I heard Eva cleared out some of the offices from the Castle, moved them across the street from the Dartfordian Embassy, and restored several of the living areas of the Castle. You've a home to return to, when you're ready of course, and no matter what I know there's so much good in your heart. We always did say that we'd take the bad and give back that much more good, did we not? I suppose, just now, you've reminded me that at times I need you to be my rock, my strength, to make the most difficult of decisions even when it would be easier to give in to the darkness."

A member of the crew came to speak to Beatrice, Alex hearing muffled words in the background before Beatrice returned, "I'm due for a briefing soon, but I'll be in touch once we've docked in Somerset, we've a hive of activity upon the Austrana right now with everyone worried about bringing me up to speed. We've been through so much but I am confident the worst is behind us, from here we both need to help the other remember that it doesn't matter what others have said or done, it doesn't change who we are. I love you, I always have and I always will, and that is something no one could extinguish or take from us. When you do come home, I promise you, no one, no force, is going to part us again. I'll let you know if I learn anything and, if Joshua should turn up alive somewhere, I'll send him your best. Until then, you're never far away, you'll be in my heart and in that knowledge I can give everyone an honest smile."

Alex smiled, relaxing at his wife's words of comfort. Although he was not yet prepared to return to Pyrena Castle, he appreciated the gesture."Thank you," he whispered, waiting another moment before adding, "I love you, too. " He took the phone away from,  reaching his hand up to clear away the acidic wetness that had begun to streak down his face. And, for the first time in as many months, the future Dartfordian King slept without a single nightmare.
Jointly written by CGJ and I.

Beatrice:
Time: 5:56 AST

“Alex….” Beatrice trailed, her voice becoming strained, “It’s time to go home. Do you know how many lonely nights I’ve had, how many empty halls I’ve traveled, not to speak of the hole in my heart which has grown each day of your absence? We’ve already discussed the situations which aligned against us, I’ve already cleared you of wrong-doing, why do you insist on being so damned stubborn?” As she looked into his eyes and saw the sting her increasing volume was causing she stopped herself from speaking further, instead collapsing into the chair immediately behind her.

“The last time I was there...” he began, not having the opportunity to finish his sentence. “The last time you were there we were betrayed by those closest to us,” Beatrice finished. “We were blindsided, those we trusted to act in the best interests of our nation fell to selfish motivations, that’s not my fault and it sure as hell is not your fault. If we had known Charles was the snake that he is, if we’d known Sumire was conspiring with him, they’d have been removed before any harm was done. All is seen in hindsight, but you can’t let that rob from you your future.”

“I need time to think,” Alex sighed, “I have to think.” “I’ve given you enough time to think, love, that time is gone. I need my husband, Rokkenjima its Emperor, and I can’t accept no for an answer. You can stay here and hide, avoid the hardships if that’s what you think it is, but if you do so it will be without me being involved in your life in any capacity. You’re not a coward Alex, and no matter what some Morelander says about you, I know you’re a good man who does his best for his family and both of his countries. We faced betrayers in our midst alone, and we still stand to this day, well….I stand at least. I don’t know what to call your present condition yet.”

“You’ve used that threat before, damn it Bea do you not understand I’m still shocked, still numb, still figuring things out? What more do you want of me?” he asked, with mild irritation tinging his speech. “You know what I want, I’ve said it enough times. Will you come home with me and make Pyrena a home again? Will you fill the holes that your absence has left, prove to everyone just who you are? Because we won’t be defined by their terms, we’ve done much good in the world and we’ve more to offer.”

“Be that as it may don’t you ever tire of it all? The stress, the constant worry, the attention that has to be paid to each and every detail of our day, I don’t make a half bad teacher you know,” he said with a slight chuckle, hoping to brighten the mood. “True, I cannot deny that, however you make an even better Emperor. Alex, you know I have made mistakes, sometimes meandering aimlessly through the course of international relations, I didn’t know what was wrong at first,” Beatrice said in a more relaxed tone. “I figured it out, though.”

“Oh?” Alex asked, inviting her to continue. “A ship without a rudder has little ability to determine its direction, without you, I have no rudder. I have no force to guide me, to keep in check my more spontaneous moments, no sense of navigation. You are, my love, the other half that makes me who I am; it is because of you that I have done every good and right thing I have. Without you, I’m looking over the bow into a dense fog, not knowing what dangers lay beyond that wall of mist, my vision hopelessly obscured.”

“Please,” she said weakly, “There’s no one else in this world who would have me beg before them, and here I am,” she continued, standing from the chair and falling to her knees, “the Empress of Rokkenjima, living descendant of a deity, and you have me on my knees before you. I know it is hard, I’ve had so many dark days too, but we can’t let those knock us off course. Come home,” she said as she rested her head against his knees.

Beatrice:
Time: 9:10 AST

"Mr. Groves, please," Evanthe motioned to the Councillor as he walked into her Office, "have a seat." He was clearly uncomfortable, however, that didn't concern her much. "Now as I understand you've a tell-all book you're working on, yes?" She gave no time for him to answer, "Well, I've taken the liberty of reaching out to a friend of mine who owns a publishing house and would be able to begin work on your book whenever you're ready to move forward. I am disappointed that someone I talked to as a friend has elected to employ blackmail to effect the direction of the Imperial Government, but in the interests of our former friendship, you may consider this one last act of kindness."

"Thank you?" he asked, uncertain. "Although," Evanthe said with a pause, "should your book contain any fallacies, or any stories born of your imagination, you recognize that you would be giving Mr. Stanley the gift of a lifetime. You see, it has been over a hundred years since a case of defamation of the Crown has been tried in Rokkenjima, and while the penalty for that charge is no longer death, I understand it carries quite a lengthy prison sentence. As it is not constrained to the time upon which an Empress ascends to the Throne, any information which seeks to defame the Empress knowingly is fair game under the law. I trust you've been fully honest, yes?"

Motioning for the phone on her desk she held her hand over the receiver, "Shall I tell them you're ready to begin working with them?" Groves shifted in his seat, "I'll give her one thing, she's clever," he said, referring to Beatrice. "I don't think we need a book documenting our discussions, it was a rather poor premise now that I think of it." Evanthe took the line off hold, "No Michael, your services won't be necessary after all. Thank you for being accommodating nonetheless, Mr. Groves is most appreciative of your interest. Good day to you, too."

"If you're going to threaten me and this Government you'll have to do much better than a pile of lies bound between two covers, Mr. Groves. I want you to take a few days and consider some of your recent statements, perhaps walk back any threats of holding our national budget ransom, and consider the interests of your constituents before running to the press again. You've a host of good ideas despite your recent lapse in judgement, but please, do join the rest of us in the present and the future. Don't cling to a time that has long since passed. You may go now," she said, lifting the lid of her laptop.

Groves slowly stood and attempted to speak again, only for Evanthe to offer a sweeping motion with her hand. "I have work to do, you may leave. Or do we not have an understanding?" she asked. "We do, Your Majesty," he replied. "Good day then," she said with finality, devoting her full attention to the report on the screen before her.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version