Author Topic: Djabidjan: Stained Borderlands  (Read 2550 times)

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
Djabidjan: Stained Borderlands
« on: May 10, 2022, 02:53:30 PM »

Ministry of Defense, Republic of Djabidjan

Minister Yoo Sung-soo looked for a last time the dossier on his table. A succinct title, "Detachment 135th", had been written on the cover of the folder. Yoo opened it for a last time.

It was briefly after he was appointed Minister of Defense when his predecessor General Park Si-woo, during a casual one-hour conversation, mentioned him for first time the existence of such dossier. Park had not recommended its implementation, an opinion that had convinced then President Shin to, at least, set aside this project.

Now, the circumstances were different. Under Min Tae-joon's presidency, and backed by recent developments, the project was again under consideration. His doubts, which were of a different nature than Park's, remained, but Yoo felt he was in a corner and had no option but to accept it.

He looked for his ministerial stamp, inside of one of the drawers, to a seven-page report he added to the dossier. Then, he called to his assistant to sent the dossier back to the White Tower.

A few days have passed when, in the same place, his secretary announced Yoo that Director Kim Sung-mo had arrived.

"Tell him to enter immediately", Yoo ordered.

"Yes, sir", the secretary replied.

Kim Sung-mo entered the room patiently, looking around as it was his habit, even at a room that he knew so well, as it was his own for a few weeks, after all.

"Welcome", Yoo said. "Let's sit on those armchairs", he added, pointing out at one corner of the room.

Kim nodded, rather satisfied, as General Park would rather keep his guests standing in front of his desk, no matter how much times the meeting may last.

"How do you see the current situation?", Yoo asked, while throwing on the top of the table a few reports that Kim was quite familiar with.

"The situation may be serious", Kim replied, "but it's in our hands to solve it. It's not such a serious threat, always that we act decisively".

"That's my feeling", Yoo replied. "They are not a scaring adversary, that's for sure...but after his week, I understand some people may be more concerned...What's your concern about the alleged infiltration?".

"It's a risk that has been highly exaggerated, I must say while being cautious", Kim coldly replied. "It is true that we have face some complications, but their urban element, while it seems to act unpredictably, does not posses a very serious threat. We were able to dismantle at least two of their cells, and the scope of the actions is highly limited. That's why they are trying to act big, in my opinion. But we're ready to hunt them".

"Wouldn't it be easier to decapitate them?", Yoo inquiried.

"Compared to the first epoch", Kim argued, "their operational organization seems highly divided in three groups: a firsts based in small and isolated cells, a territorial one mostly in the countryside, much more organized, and finally, their leadership which does not seem to be permanently based in the country".

"The last one should be a priority", Yoo said, "but our current emphasis should be to eliminate the second threat".

"I agree", Kim replied. "We, of course, are prepared to us all our methods and resources to hunt them, independently where they are found, but we'll try to assist you as much as we can. I have increased our resources in the south, but we're facing some obstacles on the local level".

"Yes, it is understandable", Yoo replied. "We're pressuring the cabinet so we can have new tools soon as well".

"Returning to the issue of the infiltration", Kim continued, "despite promises of the Catholic leadership, we have found information that in certain areas, religious organizations, even members of the clergy, are certainly suspicious of providing them with coverage, or at least openly sympathizing with their cause. We are ready to strike them as well, but we find some obstacles before we can do so".

"Yes, it's rather inconvenient", Yoo complained. "Right now, our hands are moderately tied up, you may say. Considering what's on the news this week, the cabinet wouldn't like if people would feel we're meddling in religious affairs. Just keep an eye on them".

"I understand", Kim replied. "But I'm also concerned that this operation will be rather in no man's land, in term of both logistics and organization".

"That was my concern, indeed", Yoo replied. "On the other hand, it is a bit convenient, if things do not move in the right direction. We will be forced to cooperate with Home Affairs while the logistics and the supervision will be on State Security's roof, but the training and operational organization will be still in our hands".

"How many people have been informed, minister?", Kim asked.

"Not more than ten, I'm told", Yoo replied, "counting the two gone foxes".

"I can see", Kim said. "It surely adds more risks in this whole affair".

"It should be manageable", Yoo replied. "That's why we need the State Department, not just to provide enough information, but to provide us information about the development of the operation. We can not allow new mistakes. For that, we need extra eyes".

"You can count in us, sir", Kim replied. "We're ready to move forward".

"I'm happy to hear that...", Yoo replied, "...I had no doubts. You can retire now. I'll provide you with more details when I have them".

"Yes, sir", Director Kim simply replied, leaving the room.

OOC: This RP is open to those interested, but keep in mind that some of the posts may describe confidential events or outside public knowledge. You can contact me for further details, of course.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Djabidjan: Stained Borderlands
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 12:54:26 AM »
Camp Espwa Včt, Republic of Djabidjan

The helicopter landed, likely the first helicopter to land since the expansion of the military camp. Yoo looked around for a few seconds until his reception finally came.

"Good morning, Minister", Lietenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong said.

"Nice to meet you, lieutenant-colonel", Yoo replied. "How is everything going?".

"As good as it can be, sir", Kim answered. "If you allow me, we'll show you the camp".

"Alright", Yoo replied.

"The camp is mostly divided in two sectors", Kim explained as they walked. "The first sector is the largest one. There, we have the barracks from those who are sent here, for example, as well as the main pavilion and the armery".

"I see", Yoo replied. "How many of them have you right now?".

"About 50", Kim answered, "maybe more. The first weeks, they mostly receive ideological training and some physical instruction. After some considertions, those who are promoted join the second sector".

"At least that will give us some choice on who ends there", Yoo said.

"Yes, sir", Kim replied. "Once they join the second sector, they will receive more operational training. Soon, they will be ready to serve. Most of them have military background, so it should not take too long".

"Indeed", Yoo added. "Have you a final decision about the first detachment?", he inquiried.

"It is still under consideration", Kim replied. "You may talk with Lieutenant Euh, who has been decided to lead the reconnoissance troop. They are mostly ready, I believe. For their role, as they are not thought to be directly involved in fighting, unless in critical situation, as well as with the local population, they will be the most diverse of the two".

"Yes, I can imagine", Yoo replied.

"We have already arrived to the second sector, sir", Kim added.

"Not bad", Yoo said while looking around. "Are you considering carefully the profiles for the other two?", the minister asked.

"Indeed, sir", Kim answered. "Besides the racial component, you may say, we're considering carefully considering the different tasks of both groups. As you are aware, the first one will be the infiltration one. We are considering that at least three, maybe four, of them are native speakers in the language, although that number may depend in the future, if the recluitment goes good enough, depending the province they are deployed. For the third group, the so-called hunting one, that may not be necessary, at least at first. In this case, this men come from the special forces or, in some cases, from the State Department as well".

"At first", Yoo said, "no mistakes are allowed. The choice should be done as careful as possible".

"Yes, sir", Kim replied. "Let me show you the installations in more detail if you're curious".

"Alright", Yoo replied.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 12:34:42 AM »

Report to the Ministry of Defense on Research regarding Detachment 125th
{Secret|Classified}

Report number: 00-A-1011-2022
Date: July 2022
Description of the document: Report to the Ministry of Defense on Scientific Security Program
Author: Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong

SUMMARY
First visit to Dr. Woo Il-sung's residency in Mokpsang province. Dr. Woo heads the technical team in the Scientific Security Program, assisgned by the Detachment 125th. Officer Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong, along a military assistant to the mentioned Detachment 125th and an officer from the State Department of Military Operations. The delegation interviews the subject to assist him with the research as well to find out the current state of the logistlcs and needs of the program in its current stage. END OF THE SUMMARY.

As part of my duties as main supervisor from the Ministry of Defense of the Detachment 135th, I have visited Dr. Woo Il-sung new residency, who was appointed as technical director of the Scientific Security Program.

The meeting took place along Dr. Woo Il-sung's new residency located in B-137, Mokpsang province. I came with two assistant officers assigned to the Detachment 135th. Dr. Woo was alone at the moment of the meeting. The meeting was cordial and his morale seems high, although Dr. Woo seems concerned about his own security, particularly in relation we past news regarding terror attacks against one of the centers. We tried to provide assurances regarding the location of the home, in a both strategic and isolated place. Additional security staff may be required, if only to provide confidence about the subject's psychological concerns.

Dr. Woo Il-sung, who was previously professor of biological anthropology in a Djabidjan City state university, seems clearly enthusiastic about his role in the program. As it was reported previously, Dr. Woo's late grandfather, an uncle as well as his late brother served in the armed forces. His motivation can be described as both ideological and patriotic. While one late great uncle served three years in prison in the late 1960s for his illegal role in a Catholic subversive organization, I do not believe there can be doubts about Dr. Woo loyalty both to the state and his role in the program.

We visited the two labs that has been built in the basement of the house. Dr. Woo seems satisfied about them as they allowed to start some preliminary research, although he complained about the speed of some of the material needed, particularly regarding more rare materials that require to be imported. However, he seemed satisfied about our assurances about future imports. Obviously, the nature of the research in this location and circumstances will be highly limited, but they may provide some useful information and tools for our early operations, at least until the future complex is operative.

At our request, Woo described his first research, focused in the pollution of clothing, food, and water supplies. The implementation of this idea would not be too costly and logistics easy to provide. However, I have seriously doubts if such plan could be implemented in urban areas, it seems more workable for our forces in operation in rural and distant areas. The most recent research was focused in several toxins and their operational utility.

However, despite Mr. Woo's personal background, his lack of military formation and preparation seems to offer some limitations on the utility and implementation of some of the mentioned research. In one case, for example, the subject explained his last experiment, regarding toxin-ripped bullets. The idea could be described as modifying rifle and gun rounds which allows a cavity able to hold a toxin that requires to enter the body intravenously. He has reportedly tested this rounds in stray dogs and goats that our detachment provided him. The dogs required three days to die, even where provided medical assistance and the bullet removed, he explained us. This gave me the impression that Dr. Woo's creativity may be useful for our program, but his lack of military formation may not be always very operational, as the intended targets are more likely to die of the wounds from a common rifle or gun that from toxin poisoning.

Despite similar shortcomings, as the program advances to more advanced stages, once the technical and logistical circumstances are highly improved, as it is planned, the utility of the research may increase considerably. For the time being, I suggest that the Detachment should be focused in training and counterintelligence operations, at least until the program starts to bear fruits. In any case, I gave the order to the subject to provide me personally with biweekly reports on any advance in the current investigations. As the program advances to its second stage, I suggest that we recluit personnel with some kind of military or defense formation as Dr. Woo's assistants.

Signed: Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 02:34:49 PM »

Luntaytuulo, Republic of Djabidjan

Their green and rather rusty jeeps suddenly stopped. Seven armed men, wearing irregular clothing and their faces covered descended from the cars. They entered a nearby corner shop without much hesitation.

"Don't move!", one of the armed men said, with a slightly southern accent. As it was relatively early in the morning, there were not many customers in the shop. Meanwhile, while another of the armed men pushed the customers and owners of the shop to the ground, another two of them were grabbing money from the cash register and products from the shelves into a large bag, quickly and almost randomly.

"Our people should now that our revolutionary tax is a godly duty!", one said in fluent Maadaanic language, even if irregular pronounciation.

One of the armed ones, who had not said a word, pointed out to one of the hostages, a teenage girl. After he did that, another of the armed men screamed at her, grabbing her by her shirt.

"No, allow to leave my daughter!", the shop's owner screamed. However, before he could barely stand up he was kicked in the face by another of the armed men.

The same assaulter who made the gesture toward the young gesture, the nodded his head. As he did this, most of the armed men positioned themselves toward the other hostages. A few seconds later, they opened fire.

As the finished, one of the armed men violently pushed the girl toward the deceased hostages. Before she could react, crying and covered in blood, although unharmed, one of the armed men screamed: "This is what happens to those who give the back to our people and our movement. Then he shouted, also in western Maadaanic language, an old religious slogan which was popularized recently.

The men left the shop, leaving the places in their jeeps.

"That improvisation was not required", one of the men said while their jeep was turning toward a secondary road outside Luntaytuulo, "but I won't complain".

"Thank you, sir!", he replaid. "I'll be more careful next time".

"Sir, isn't the place behind that forest?", the pilot asked.

"That's right", the man replied. "We have barely two hours to leave the department. Let's prepare everything as quickly as possible".

"Yes, sir", the pilot replied, trying to concentrate on the road while stepping on the accelerator.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 10:19:49 AM »
Vilajvčj Province

"These ashes are cold, captain", one of the men said, while examining the rests of a bonfire.

"That's what I thought", Captain Pak Chol-man said. "These are not permanent campaments. But rather to hide or launch their operations".

"Sighting of likely hostile forces moving toward the road toward, Nogsaemaeul", it sounded on the radio.

"Understood", Pak replied. "Continue the operation but avoid any contact".

"Yes, sir", it replied.

"They do not seem to be nearby but let's do this quickly", Pak ordered.

"Yes, sir", one mand replied.

"What have you found?", the captain asked.

"Not much", another soldier replied. "There are a few supplies and clothing, some of them clean and other dirty".

"Very well", Pak replied. "Let's try it. Scatter and spread it on the clothing and food. Don't forget to put your mask and the special gloves".

"Yes, sir", the soldier replied.

Pak, while remanining too unconvinced of such procedure, put in his mask to avoid any contamination.

"Before we leave", Pak ordered, "that tree seems the perfect place to put our camera, Jong".

"Yes, sir", Jong replied. "I'll do it immediately".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 02:29:51 PM »

Somewhere abroad

"Alright, alright", Abukar intervened. "Let's move to a more concrete discussions. What's left on Barixarunta?".

"I'm afraid not much", Rooble replied, "after the dismantling of the Waqooyi Cell, and the martyrdom of Dubista and our comrades in Xuduudda[1]. We have left a few isolated militants, and it may still be a time before they are able to be operative".

"Is that so?", Raage said, looking back to Muuse.

"Yes, likely so", Muuse said with a serious, even unfriendly tone. "Our contacts have been limited for security reasons, but giving our situation in the south, I had to struggle to be able to send them trustworthy men. We, after all, need them as well, as we have recently lost many of them. In the last month, we have lost our capacity to recruit more men. And those we're able to, that's going to slowly, as we are forced to increase the vetting and practice period".

"Without a worthy successful action, not sure if these efforts are worthy enough", Mahad said. "We need to be able to do something big soon".

"It is easier to say than to do, of course", Muuse argued. "We're lacking to the supplies to do so. That force us, outside the main cities, to focus on smaller operations".

"We're doing our best to solve that", Raage argued. "But it may still take some time".

"Enough defeatism!", Buux said. "Such considerations will lead us nowhere. I'm convinced youth will continue to fight for the liberation of our people". Muuse looked him intensively while he spoke, knowing it was likely him, and not the experienced Buux the one who will have to return to Djabidjan soon.

"It hurts me the sacrifice of the youth and our friends, of course", Rageh intervened. "However, it is required that we honour those who have offered their blood for our just cause without obscure our minds of the rights steps toward our aim...Sadly or not, the conscience of our fellow Christians abroad, and even some at home, will only be moved if we choose our aim and actions wisely. The biggest the damage we will provoke, bigger will be their response and outrage for their violence. So we must choose our next steps wisely, I agree. Which are our prospects right now?".

"While our recruitment is facing some obstacles inside", Caweys explained, "the efforts are giving more fruits abroad. I have estimated that close to 1,500 members or sympathizers from Dhaah Party in exile have joined or showed interests to join following the execution...Sadly, most of them have barely no experience or training, not to mention the issue of logistics, as many may not be able to be sent by conventional means, but these numbers are surely promising".

"I'm glad to hear that", Raged said. "Meanwhile, we can only resist and prepare for the time to strike comes".

1. Name in Maadaanic language for the city of Jangju

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 10:17:42 PM »

Batifyč Dam, Republic of Djabidjan

Batifyč Dam, built in 1967, once called "the Pear of the Sousdlo", was one the key building projects of the Social Republic of Djabidjan, which claimed the project was one of the largest and safest dam of all Ardia. The project, which some could have call pharaonic and under foreign assistance, was aimed to prevent flooding and to utilize the water for irrigation and generating electricity. The dam gathered its water from the systems of rivers nearby Sousdlo Lake, in a region which was considered the most fertile lands in Djabidjan. Although diversity and the local ecosystem was severely damaged in the last decades, the region was still considered the "breadbasket of the nation", for their amount of agriculture production gathered every year in the region, even if still many farmers had retained a subsistence economy. While due to mismanagement and lack of resources, it had not resulted as promising as the original project was, the dam was still an important source of energy for the whole region.

The rainy season had come earlier than expected this year, increasing the water reserves of the dam. Still, the management of the dam rejected the request to open the dam fearing, given the recent earthquake and aftershocks in the area, which produce an increase in flooding in the downstream area. An aftershock the day after the earthquake which had hit the Gogseon province could felt in the dam, causing temporary power outrages. Although the secondary generators did not fail, communication started to fail since that evening.

Destin Mezanmi had been working in the dam for almost ten years. That evening, another 4.4 aftershock surprised him in an ordinary late supervision of the generator room. A blockout followed, and Destin was forced to blindly walk toward the wall. However, this time the secondary generators did not seem to work, at least to its full capacity, and the alarm did not work either. Still, he did not panic, even if he felt something falling on his shoulder which, after touching, he guessed it was probably dust and lime. Finally, he was able to communicate with the control gate and communications and lights went on. As this happened, a loud sound, like a giant steel door falling to the floor could be heard, only followed by a deep silence.

"Well, this is bad", the worked on the control gate. "A small portion of the external wall of the gates seem to have collapsed". Destin was slightly calmed after the worker explained that the damaged did not seem critical.

"Right", Destin replied, "open the gates", he ordered. While it did not sound a critical problem, he feared that the lack of communications could cause a delay in aid and repairment efforts. However, this failed mostly due to sedimentation blockage.

About fifteen minutes a later, a sligthly noticeable but slowly increasing crack sound could be heard. A long silence followed only interrupted by a terrible noise. Destin felt as if the sky and the earth were collapsing.

During the next hours, millions m3 of water was released, resulting in flood waters that rushed onto the plains below more than 40 kilometers per hour, surprising many villagers who barely had time to wake up due to the increasing noise.

As consequence of the failed communications and damaged roads and infraestructures, evacuation orders had been mostly inexistent, or had come when it was already too late. Captain Hwang Woo-yeong arrived at the area the next day, more than twelve hours after the Batifyč Dam collapsed. From his helicopter, the main gates had completely cracked, only leaving intact a portion of the walls at both sides. As a result, the flood of water had been unstoppable for hours.

Thousands of square kilometres had been completely inundated, affecting a large number of town and villages, wiping out an area of dozens of kilometres. They witnessed how the dikes on the Jesam River had collapsed as well, likely earlier on the morning, creating large temporary lakes of several thousand square kilometres, leaving several counties devastated. Villages had been completely destroyed, others simply could only be guessed, with large number of corpses floating on the water.

He caught his phone, informing about the situation, suggesting that special measures were immediately introduced, as well as immediate rescue efforts.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2022, 03:18:54 PM »
Gogseon province

Captain Hwang Woo-yeong moved further south, in order to report about the conditions regarding the rescue efforts. While he was aware of the severity of the situation, he found the level of destruction rather overwhelming. Particularly around the unfortunate area where the two disasters intertwined, it was like entering a warzone. After visiting some of the larger towns of the areas, he noted that he felt like the morning after a nuclear attack. Agriculture in the area was almost completely devastated, and communication and transportation systems were completely disrupted as well.

"There", Sinh Cung explained, "there was a camp, formed by people who fled their destroyed their homes. About 5,000 people, I estimate. It was poorly maintained, as we could be able to sent supplies by helicopter...Now, there is no trace of it".

The economic situation was not better, Hwang understood as they visited the next toom. In some cases, the local economy had mostly disappeared. There was a severe shortage of ready cash, and local companies were mostly dependant of the promised financial subsidies to operate, which in most cases they had not started to receive yet, and they lacked enough supplies, for those whose buildings had not been damaged, of course. Many banks had been destroyed, and their bank notes and coins either destroyed with them or looted, the latter increasing the speculation of basic goods.

The biggest problem, Hwang soon realized, was the destruction to the local agriculture. In some cases because the lack of workforce and the destruction of roads and transportation, and partly because the damage of the floods, agriculture in the region was in a dire state, if not completely destroyed in many areas. As a consequence, the prices of agriculture products such as rice rose sharply, with a 200% increase in some areas, he was informed. These increased violence and looting, which forced the authorities to cut down phones and internet to fight the unrest, endangering or worsening the rescue efforts.

"Most hospital and medical centers, already barely developed one may say", a military doctor from the area explained to Hwang, "we were forced to establish medical camps, but we can barely deal with the number of wounded people. The most important issue we are facing is the lack of medical supplies, which can only be deployed by air in many cases". As they moved to the east, Hwang could see one of the "sea of tents" which had been inhabited by people who fled their homes, or what remained of them.

"The center is nearby the next town", Sinh Cung told Hwang, as the captain returned. Hwang simply nodded.

"Let's move", Hwang immediately said.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 01:44:17 PM »

Djabidjan City

As it had become a tradition after Hong Tae-woo was appointed as Premier, President Min received the day before the official weekly meeting of the State Council of Ministers a small group of officials in what some of them have described as "policy dinners". These were held in the Presidential House, and they had not any formal recognition. It was not an ordinary meeting, not only by the circumstances that the country had experienced in the last weeks, but particularly it was expected that the following day it will be formally decided and announced that the decision that the Ministry of Defense will take over the Ministry of Public Works and Transport regarding the distribution and management of the aid and assistance to the regions affected by the current crisis.

Premier Hong had continued his summary of the last reports from the Ministry of Public Works and Transport as well as the Ministry of Finance for the last ten minutes, but President Min had started to lose his patience.

"Even in the most optismistic scenario, giving the recent developments", Hong continued, "even considering the foreign humanitarian aid we have received, due to the damage of roads and infraestructures and problems on the logistics of such operations, special measures will be needed".

"My feeling is that tomorrow decision comes two weeks too late, I'd say", Minister of Defense Yoo Sung-soo said. "With all due respects, the reports of the ministry falls shorts again, even that I seriously doubt that any of the people who I know well were involved in it...Even with further foreign assistance, not just in the distribution of foreign aid but on the logistics, the organizing obstacles and the needs may be too big right now to give immediate results".

"Any change in the organization of the operation, particularly if they are moved to more capable and experienced hands will be welcomed, of course", Deputy Premier Tieu intervened. "I feel there is no much disagreement on that issue, Major. However, the contested issue, that is likely to face difficult understanding not just tomorrow but in its future implementation, it is surely the Ministry of Finance assessment that, even considering the humanitarian aid entering in our country and the increase of imports acquired through our sovereign funds, such obstacles are likely to remain and even expand to the rest of the country".

"If that was the case", Premier Hong intervened, "in a way of another, an official policy of rationing of basic goods would be inevitable, considering the serious damage that the agriculture sector has suffered in those provinces, and the limitations to keep supply from outside at a limited price, if the caculations of the ministry are correct, of course".

"We have the instruments to implement that", Minister Yohannes Arendse said, "however, we have already experienced some opposition with some of the restrictions imposed in the provinces. With the right funding and personnel, I am certain we will impose order, of course. But it will be harder here or larger towns. If such policy is implemented, I'll only ask free hands to keep order".

"That would be...unfortunate", Hong argued. "I feel a most cautious answer would be better, particularly in the current circumstances. However, it is not that we have many options".

President Min had patiently listened for a while. "I don't see it", he finally intervened. "There is some logic in the proposal of the ministry, but they don't make sense in practical terms. It's a bit like to sacrifice a tree to save a branch. No, I do no think that's going to work".

"That may be true", Yoo replied. "However, it will not be easy to implement either".

"The first thing should be to stop the gangrene", Min insisted.

"If that's the case", Minister Jung argued, "three layers of priority can be considered: first the capital, Jangju as well as the coastal city; then the rest of the country, and third, the provinces under state of emergency. Restrictions could be imposed to the third ones, and eventually to the second one, while avoided in the first one...as long as it is possible".

"That's certainly preferable", Min replied. "A final proposal should be ready before tomorrow meeting, so it can be implemented as soon as possible".

"We'll do our best", Yoo said, as the rest of the room remained silent.

Somewhere nearby Djabidjan

"It is a pity we did not received more weapons", one man said.

"We will need to use the terrain and the situation at our advantage", Maxabe replied.

"Yes, sir", the man replied. "My main concern, however, is if the different groups will be able to communicate and orient themselves as soon as we have launched the attack".

"It will not be easy", Maxabe said, "but until them, we have no options to move at night. If we surprise them, we may have a chance after all".

"Yes, sir", a third man said. "I'm mostly concerned about the distance we should to cross".

"It should be enough to achieve the surrounding of Ogundo", Maxabe insisted. "Secretary Muuse has confirmed us that one of our inner groups have successfully gathered in Gwanju".

"Anyway", Maxabe added, "it is time to move. We should be able to cross the border tonight. Let's pray we will join our men at the other side tomorrow".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2022, 03:19:26 PM »
Southern Djabidjan

The day had finally come. At midnight, a large enough group of armed men aligned to Iskaabin Aamin-ah attacked the border posts in direction to the road that goes directly to Nwapase. The move was nothing but at a distraction, as another eight hundred of men crossed the border, attacking guards and policemen as they were joined by another two hundred who had already crossed the border in small groups in the previous weeks. They were able to seize small villages and towns in their way.

In those villages where they would be able to stay longer, they gathered the population in the main square where they gave long speeches and promised with a bible in their hand the end of the ruling elite and equality for all ethnic groups and Christians of all denominations. They paid their respects to the local churches, offering the local priests a leading place in the new local government, but the clergy was, as most of the local population, not very receptive of such proposals. They promised that each town will have the right to decide their own political future. In the meantime, they declared that there will be a provisional authority under Christian principles until Djabidjan's government is finally deposed. However, they did not stay for long in most of the cases. Sometimes, they merely attacked government buildings and police posts in some of the small towns they entered.

They continued their advance toward the main objective, Ogundo, which they planned to take before they were joined by units led by the recently appointed "Secretary for Military Resistance", a militant known under the nickname of Muuse, suspected to be a DXAHK former member. However, their advance was slower than expected, as they had no experience in moving in hostile terrain, and many of them were already tired and hungry, as some of them have spent several weeks living in the forests through they crossed the border and hid before launching their operation. Still, their hopes and morale was high, hoping for a promising victory.

Finally, they launched their attack against Ogundo at the morning of the third day of the operation. However, they faced more resistance than expected, losing many men against the law enforcement units as well as enforcements from a nearby small garrison. When Aaden, Muuse's right hand, arrived to the place, he found a struggling force in disarray. Most of the men had not previous experience in combat and they moved without a clear organization or plan, once two of the leading men were seriously wounded.

Captain Pak Chol-man was checking a folder with a list of names, pictures, and information from fugitives from an internment center partially destroyed during the recent earthquakes when he received a new and unexpected call from Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong.

"We have new orders", Park told his men. "We're immediately moving to Gwanju".

"Yes, sir", some of them replied.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2022, 06:38:37 PM »

Ogundo-Jubyeon county, Republic of Djabidjan

Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong was somewhat disappointed about the enemy they were facing. It became pretty obvious soon that the enemy was nothing but a bunch of armed units with barely military experience, and without a sense of tactical experience and military strategy. After their defeat in Ogundo, they were forced to retreat divided in two groups, one of them moving directly to Sumgyeon, while others tried to find protection back in the forest nearby the border.

For first time, Kim was leading both his "official" battlion and his "unofficial" detachment in combat. As soon as reinforcement came, he ordered artillery to fire against the town only supermarket and other focuses of the resistance, before launching the final assault in Sumgyeon against a surrounded enemy without ways of escape.

The fighting will continue for another five days, as the hunting of the fleeing and often isolated enemy units continued. He led in charge two officers of the interrogations and search, literally home by home, of hidden enemies or any possible collaborators between the civilian population, as soon as he was informed that a remaining enemy unit had been captured about 10 kilometres from their position. It was anyway a boring and annoying task, as the enemy seemed to lack almost any basic hierarchy or organization between them, which made the fast extraction of information slower.

Lieutenant-Colonel Kim Ho-dong arrived at the place, which seemed to be a hidden camp behind a hill. The enemy was found and attacked by night, which barely allowed the enemies to hide or escape, at least in larger enough numbers.

"Good job", Kim said as he saw two dozen of prisioners with their hands tied at their back. He walked around, with still clear signs of the battle, such as grass stained with blood or some corpses still remaining on the floor. He picked up one of the weapons on the floor. "Uhm...interesting", Kim said to himself after inspecting it closely.

"Don't think you have won! Many of us are prepared to destroy you, evil...!", a prisoner suddenly shouted at them. He was not able to finish his threat, however, as Kim grabbed his gun and shot him twice to the head.

"I didn't understand a word", Kim added, "but I didn't like it".

"Prepare the selection", he said to two of his officers. "My guess is that their ranks were mostly symbolical. Took the older ones and those who seem to have valuable information, as they will be sent to Gwangju. About the rest, get rid of them immediately. Right now, I need to communicate with the regional command".

"Yes, sir", they replied.

Kusub was ready with his rifle when the prisoner suddenly turned his head back.

"I'm sure you can understand me...", the prisoner told him. "Why are you doing this?".

Such question surprised him although he had barely time to react, as the prisoner fell to the floor after being shot at the back.

"Give me that", the shooter said to another soldier carrying a large can.

"Do something at least!", he told to Kusub as he threw him the large can.

"Alright...", Kusub replied as he prepared to pour the gasoline.

Once they finished their task, Kusub could feel the warm but he felt disgusted but the strong smell of burning flesh.

"Any problem?", an officer asked him.

"No, sir", Kusub replied.

"Excellent", the man replied. "Let's move. It is time to going back. We'll continue tomorrow".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2022, 06:38:49 PM »

Southern Djabidjan

As their car moved through Gwangju-WD1 road, Captain Hwang Woo-yeong could see the red marks on the ground, consequence of the recent riots and clashes between the army and citizens who attempted to move to larger towns like Gwangju, where they expected the distribution and relief efforts was better organized and supplies delivered without delay. While they were not entirely wrong, the logic of the assistance effort were not that straightforward, and local authorities were not willing to allocate more people they could. Unofficially, the incident left 100 casualties.

Before Hwang's arrival, these "famished columns", as they were often called, were becoming more and more usual. Military authorities were forced to restrict martial law to towns with more than 20,000 inhabitants. However, this left local authorities with fewer resources and, very often, how many families every town had, with an increasing number of them without an occupation and required to be fed.

Even in Gwangju, where the distribution of the food did not experience any relevant shortage in weeks, they could see an increasing number of vagrants on the streets. However, as consequence of the inflation and the restrictions of commerce, begging became rather fruitless. They were often wandering through the streets, looking for anything to eat, even discarded food, fruit peels, or anything else.

“There is a reason you will not find street animals, even rats, around in this city”, a police officer explained Hwang. “And I can assure those animals did not die of hunger”.

As they continued their travel, they finally reached to the region further south, which the distribution problems combined to the spread of mass epidemic in many towns. Many fell victims of fevers, dysentery, and other minor illness.

“Contrary to one would have expected in the reports”, a military doctor told Hwang, “we had very few deceased as consequence of the lack of food. However, only in this district, they had to bury at least 200 people from illness and fevers”.

Both problems started to be connected, however, particularly after a large town was heavily affected by a sudden pandemic. The military doctors had claimed that the epidemy had been transmitted through sacks of rice and rats identified as the carrier. As a consequence, military authorities ordered that every sack of rice needed to be examined at the moment of unloading, considerably slowing the distribution of food.

In theses areas, the mortality had increased considerably, and it was not rare to see corpses lying on the street, particularly in some neighborhoods. In some cases, the soldiers were not enough, and teams of civilians had to be organized to pick up the corpses and buried them. In distant areas, Hwang had direct knowledge that corpses were sometimes burned, particularly when there was fear of transmission of an epidemy or simply there were not enough staff to deal with the corpses.

Their travel continued for another three days, in which Hwang was able to gather enough information for his report. He was expected to meet with the last Djabidjani officer to be promoted general in the armed forces, the infamous Ibinu Lagbara. Lagbara was well-known in the armed forces for his reputation as a harsh military trainer in the Laval Military Academy. He was sent to the area to enforce the martial law, particularly after another riot this team motivated by ethnic tensions – had left about 200 casualties.

In the meantime, Hwang had also time to visit hospitals, schools, camps, orphanages, internment centers, and prisons. The latter were so crowded and their health safety so low, besides not being exactly a priority in the current situation, that he found the mortality even more alarming that expected.

“In normal circumstances”, General Ibinu Lagbara told in a meeting with officers of the Border Guard, “this would not be our priority. However, in the current circumstances the borders are as important as ever”.

“But more importantly”, he  continued, “we should see this merely from the point of a violation of public safety. Anyone who defies these orders would be violating the martial law. This can not be tolerated, as it puts into question our own authority and responsibility to bring order and security. In such cases, we have no option to use all means available, including lethal force, to those who ignore orders, whatever their motivation may be”.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2022, 08:50:40 PM »

White Tower, Djabidjan City

After waiting for about twenty minutes, Premier Hong was finally announced. Hong's nerves had increasingly gotten worse in the last two weeks. As he entered, however, he saw that President Min seemed, although serious, as calm as usual.

There were two folders on the president's desk, Hong realized. He was actually quite familiar with both of them. One was a dossier from the Ministry of Home Affairs, regarding investigation about terrorists and their collaborators. The second was was a classified report from the Ministry of Defence estimating that up to 40,000 the number of deceased due to food shortages, malnutrition, and poor health care since the events in September.

"Tieu has informed about the appointments proposed", President Min told Hong. "I trust your judgement. Let's do this replacements as soon as possible".

"Thanks, Mr. President", Hong replied, not certain if alleviated that the meeting started with such minor issue. "Yes, we're working on that. I try to balance things as far as possible".

"Those leavers will be in remorse soon enough", Min replied. "Do not waste your thoughts on them".

"Indeed", Hong said.

"Finally", Min continued, "I had my time to read more carefully read both reports from [the Ministry of] Home Affairs and [the Ministry of] State Security", he explained.

"Ah, great", Hong replied. "What do you make of it?".

"There is no need to stick with one or the other", Min answered. "At least regarding our official strategy. I found rather distasteful and unprofessional to attach a confession with that kind of stain...But that collection of evidence, testimonies, confessions, and information can be more useful than a purely technical one".

"Yes, indeed...", Hong recollected, "while he may be unsparing, Yohannes methods may be going beyond the usually expected, sometimes".

"They may be", Min argued, "but they are certainly useful in these circumstances, at least for a while. Regarding the rest, the State Department should take care of bringing the right blow. A failure right now should not be accepted".

"Indeed", Hong replied, "that's our best hope".

Central Directorate of the of Public Affairs of Djabidjan City, Djabidjan City

"Police Commissioner Jeon", the police officer announced, "he has arrived".

"Very well, Viter", Jeon replied. "Let him pass".

"Good morning", the young officer said.

"Welcome, you can sit down", Jeon said.

"Thanks, Ms. Jeon", the man replied.

"Let me be honest with you", Jeon directly started. "In these circumstances, we have many things to deal with, as you probably know, and I wouldn't waste the resources and time of our men. What was going on in Seogeun 28?".

"I'm not sure how I could be of help...", he replied.

"We know you have been there, several times", Jeon replied. "We know you have been there, we have traces, we found whom some of those traces belonged too. I need answers".

"Look, Ms...Ms Police Commissioner", he almost failed to reply, "I can not give you an answer about that".

"You're going to, no, you're finished if you don't give that answer now", she replied while repeatly tapping the table. "I do not give a shit what's going out there. But nobody is going to run their own business in our own facilities, moving behind my own back, freely like that".

"Give me names and all you have seen and know", she added, "and you will have a last chance. Do not think for a minute that your silence will save you. They are not going to save you. They will not risk anything for you, and you know it. I'll give you a final chance, don't ruin it".

"Take him out, Viter", she ordered as the young man kept covering his face with his own hands.

"Yes, Ms. Jeon", he replied.

"I'll give you twenty minutes to think about it, no more", Jeon finally added before they left the office.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 10:49:39 PM »
Southern Djabidjan

A convey of military trucks descended through of one of the main towns in Chčchkouran Valley in the middle of the night. Fifteen minutes before, soldiers had already started to knock on the doors, home by home. Their work has helped by the fact that a curfew had already been established in the town the day before.

General Ibinu Lagbara observed the scene, as his subordinates prepared to the second phase of the operation.

"Separate the men on one side and the women and children on the other", General Lagbara ordered, "that will make everything easier".

"Yes, sir", an officer replied.

A crowd descended from the northern side of the town, which could be described as a large shanty town. In a few hours, not much will be left of all of it, as the bulldozers and other machines were already heating to destroy of "illegal buildings". In practice, that will result of most of it. Meanwhile, the selected families were ordered to enter the trucks.

General Lagbara led two of his subordinates in charge and move toward to the other side of the town.

He observed as some of his men poured gasoline on the garage of a large but old house. The place, according to a few informants, was used as a temple.

"There are another six towns nearby where they have gathered", he said to one of his officers. "Continue the work. I'm pretty sure that an important number left this place earlier today. Keep your eyes open if you see any of them on your way".

"Yes, sir", the officer replied. As they talked, they could feel the warm as they fire started to grow.

"Meanwhile, we'll move to the western road", the general added. "We'll see if the information was right after all".