Author Topic: The Republic Report - Holmvik  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Holmvik

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Holmvik
The Republic Report - Holmvik
« on: July 12, 2022, 10:53:54 PM »

PRESIDENT SENDS TREATY TO JUDGES

Late last night the Citizens Assembly voted 46-3 for the Republic to sign the Historic Crimes Treaty recently authored in East Moreland. Just 48 hours earlier the Republican Council had agreed to approve the Treaty with a huge majority of 176-8. While it was expected that President Sigmund Haugen would sign the document early this morning that was not the case and instead the President opted to have the document reviewed by a judge. Mr.Haugen explained his rather surprising decision as he made his way to a meeting with the Cabinet and informed this publication that, "the basis of this treaty is one I think everyone on Mundus can agree with. I am though not entirely satisfied in my own mind that the Republic can comply with all parts of the Treaty and therefore it would be wrong for me to allow it to proceed. I have therefore put it into the hands of the judicary. The process now is that should the judge tell me the Treaty is compatible with our nations laws and procedures then I shall gladly sign it. Should that not be the case then I would ask the Republican Council to take steps to ensure we could at least support the Treaties aims."

Many members of the public have called for the President to sign the Treaty with one supporter saying, "In the year 2000 murderous officers of our own military turned on us and slaughtered people across the country. They need to be hanged but many are hiding across the globe." Others have stated that the Treaty could be used to bring former SKing Sven XII to justice. The exact whereabouts of the abdicated King are unknown as he escaped the nation with an estimated fortune of $50million. One citizen we interviewed said, "A time will come when Sven will be found and then I want to watch him get hung on the Councilhouse steps." Public execution has been banned in Holmvik since 1867 and the death penalty, while still on the law books, has not been utilised since the trial of two former Army officers in 2003, both were involved in the murder of sixteen prisoners in the July 2000 Revolution.

President Haugen has also announced that regardless of the outcome of the judicial review he will be creating a task force to help investigate the whereabouts of those who utilised the Revolution as a way of committing horrific crimes.

Offline Holmvik

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic Report - Holmvik
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 10:19:10 PM »

BOX OFFICE RECORDS SMASHED

Just days after its Premier the historical drama "Dis Two" has set new box office records for Holmvik in terms of opening weekend ticket sales. The film chronicles the endeavours of national hero Rebekka Axelsen who, while serving as an Air Force pilot, rebelled against King Sven becoming the nations only confirmed Fighter Ace while also kick starting a revolution. The film is a three hour epic that begins the day the rebellion began and finishes with the abdication of King Sven, a man whose whereabouts are still unconfirmed. The film has taken three years to film and features actress Ester Heimisson as Axelsen and Rúnar Jóhannsson as Sigmund Haugen. This is the first time the story of "Dis Two" has been put on camera despite several failed attempts since the events of the summer of 2000. The glittering Premier took place at the theatre at Klimpfjäll University where several of the films key events took place and was attended by many of the real life characters including the Republics first President, Sigmund Haugen. Noticabley the hero of the film, and the Republic, Rebekka Axelsen was not present and requests for comments on the film from her have been ignored. Mr.Haugen meanwhile said after viewing the film, "I love it and hate it. I hate the fact it makes me remember those events so clearly. They were some of the most horrific days I've ever experienced and I lost many good friends. The film made me feel like I was watching them die all over again. I love though the fact the crew and cast have kept alive their memory for a new generation. The level of respect they showed the 189 POW's murdered at this University is incredible and the film a fitting memorial to them and all those who died during the revolution."

The film has been nominated for the Ostlake Movie Awards, prestigious industry awards hosted by East Moreland, however lead actress Ester Heimisson said "As an actress you love it when the work you do is recognised by fans and your peers. The day I filmed my last scene I was meet as I came off the set by Sandra Albertsson, her husband was one of the 189 murdered POWS, she gave me a photo of her husband on the back of which she had written a note thanking me for helping tell her husbands story. Several others received similar tokens. That means more to me than any award. I only get to make films like this because of her husband and his friends." Early reviews of the film are favourable and Heimission has already been asked to appear in a biographical film called Axelsen to reprise her role as Rebekka Axelsen. The 28 year old actress however has said she is unlikely to accept saying. "We tried several times to contact Rebekka to get her input on Dis Two. She refused and often ignored us. Its clear she wants to live her life in private and of course we respect her. The story of Dis Two is the story of our Republic and so I can't imagine us not making a film about the great stories of our people. A film just about her though is too intrusive of stories many of us don't know because for the last twenty or so years she has kept out of the spotlight. She should become a figure we respect and love but she's given more than she needed to for this nation."

The twelve aircraft of the ceremonial Dis Flight carried out a fly past of the Premier.

Offline Holmvik

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: The Republic Report - Holmvik
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 11:02:39 PM »

DIS-TINGUISHED AWARD

The biographical film "Dis Two" scooped best International Film at the recent Ostlake Movie Awards in East Moreland. The film, starring Ester Heimisson as national icon Rebekka Axelsen, is the first success at the respected movie awards for Holmvik. The cast of the film attended the awards and had invited Axelsen to attend with them but the reclusive pilot turned down the request. Accepting the award Heimisson thanked Axelsen for her bravery that helped form the nation. "As an actress we can only play the roles that are created for us and hope we fulfil the dreams of our creators. When we play a real life person like Rebekka it becomes even harder as we transform ourselves into them. With Rebekka that is impossible. I can never imagine what it takes to put the good of your people, your nation and your fellow man above your own life. To try and just imagine walking a mile in her shoes frightens me. I truly wish she would have come here today because without her us artists couldn't have made this film. This award belongs to Rebekka and all those who took up the fight so that people like me can be free to follow our own dreams. Rebekka is you are watching thank you."

The film has become the biggest grossing domestic film of all time and won several domestic awards. Ester Heimisson has confirmed that she is now preparing to reprise her role as Axelsen in a TV series about months leading up to the rebellion featured in the film. Her role has been described as "Minor but pivitol"

REPORTS OF ESCAPED KING FOUND

Unnamed sources inside the Ministry of Justice believe that the whereabouts of former leader of Holmvik, King Sven, is close to being revealed. The King, his wife and four children escaped the nation in 2000 and despite several reports from time to time their whereabouts have not been confirmed. The Ministry of Justice is therefore pushing the judicary to quickly examine the historic crimes treaty. Speaking last night a spokesman said "We can not confirm that we know where King Sven is, naturally any information relating to his location that leads to a successful extradition will be rewarded. We however want to be ready for when we do find the former ruler as we want him to face justice for the deaths caused in those days that saw violence erupt across the nation."

Currently a pool of $500,000 is available to reward individuals who have information of the whereabouts of the King, money is paid out should the information provided lead first to a successful discovery of his location and then further payments if and when an extradition takes place. President Sigmund Haugen said "The Historic Crimes Treaty gives us, if approved by the chief justices, a roadmap that would allow us to get Sven returned to Holmvik and face a jury for the crimes against his countrymen. We firmly believe that if put into a court room he would be found guilty and finally justice can be served."