Author Topic: An Empress and A Mother  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Aosta2
An Empress and A Mother
« on: August 26, 2022, 12:53:50 PM »

To the Reverend Mother of the Bene Gesserit Faith.

As Empress to over 8million of your faiths people I believe that it is important that the Empire of Aosta and the Theocracy seek to pursue a path of friendship. I believe that it is vital I show this significant portion of my people due respect and a visit to your city of Seitch would be a very public show of respect for your faith. I therefore ask that you accept my request to visit the city and meet with yourself.

With Respect

Empress Serena III of Aosta

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
Re: An Empress and A Mother
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 09:42:57 PM »
The Fremen's knew the Colombera family. They'd been based in Aosta since the Bene Gesserit sent the four holy houses into exile and hiding. The Fremen never managed to become a recognised family in Aosta but got very close. They'd become wealthy and as a result Duchess Anna Fremen had been called in by the Reverend Mother to act as support. It was a nice chance for the Fremen's to be front and centre especially as they were not the Ducal family that held Seitch as that honour went to the Corrino's.

They'd arranged for the Empress to fly into Chistopol and then a helicopter to the border. It was strange as for a formal visit such as this there was no media present, no flock of paparazzi and no huge crowds. Things had been kept rather low key for security reasons as even though the Chistopol Accords had held there was the constant worry high value VIP's could be a target for Soviet agents. At the border a squad of sand colour dressed Truthsayers formed an honour guard for the Empress and her delegates. It was then a rather unglamorous 90 minute drive across the flat dessert highway to the city that looked like skyscrapers made of sand. It was there in front of the old city gates that the vehicle had to stop as the streets were too narrow for getting large vehicles through. It was here the dark robed, bald headed Erin meet the Empress. "Your Imperial Majesty welcome to the Holy city of Seicth." The Reverend Mother hoped the Empresses had been well briefed as she had no plans to ignore her people's customs in her own land. Having welcomed her she turned her head so that she looked aside from the Empress and then spat on the sand. 

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »
The arrival was perhaps lacking the pomp and ceremony that other state visits enjoyed but Empress Serena understood the reasons why. The drive gave her time to gaze at the desert which had been like a special weapon for the Bene Gesserit in their struggle. She would have hated to wander across it but respected even more those who did. The city of Seitch was at first glance not at all elegant but as she exited the helicopter the work it must have took to build this Holy City was impressive. The Empress . knew enough about the Bene Gesserit to not be offended by the spitting and in fact repeated the gesture as she greeted Erin. "Your Holiness its an absolute privelidge to meet you here. Its an amazingly unique city I must say. I would appreciate a tour while I'm here if that is at all possible. I'm looking forward to being able to tell my Bene Gesserit subjects all about my visit." She turned to the Duchess, the Fremen were not strangers to the Colombera Family and they gave a small embrace. "Duchess I believe you know my aide-de-camp, Captain Olivia Adimari."

A uniformed woman holding a briefcase stepped forward gave a smart nod to the Duchess. "Its good to see you again Your Grace." she smiled. Olivia served in the Aostan military but was one of many who had graduated through the Chapterhouse and kept their faith a secret. She had offered to fly helicopters during the war but had been ordered to stay in the Aostan military in case anything went wrong she could have helped in future conflicts. When the war was over she had offered to resign her commission to the Empress but that had been rejected. While at the Chapterhouse it had not been uncommon for the Duchess to visit.

"I know myself and the Captain are eager to see the city. Could we perhaps see some of those sandworms?"

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 10:38:40 PM »
Erin was pleased that the Empress was well versed in the customs of the true Kaitainites. It was perhaps to be expected with her having a Truthsayer on her staff, Erin would make a point of chatting with Captain Adimari later. "Of course we can tour the city, however unlike some other formal tours you may have been on we'll have to walk." The city wasn't really big enough for motor vehicles and apart from the odd scooter or motor bike they were largely free of vehicles. Bicycles had been modified to carry cargo and make deliveries as the city was more of a symbolic place than the real functioning centre of the Theocracy as that lay in Geidi to the south. The city was watched over by the Corrino Families Palace but that would be visited later in the day first there was the streets of Seitch. People hung from windows to catch a glimpse of the visitors with several Truthsayers forming a circle around the group. Many of the citizens wanted to speak with the Reverend Mother but she was a frequent visitor to the streets and there would be other days so except for a few cheerful greetings she simply walked on past those at the side of the street acknowledging them with a wave. "The city as you may know was built as a hub to collect the spice melange that is vital to our faiths rituals. Once upon a time legend says the sandworms ranged all across the desert and were giant creatures. Then the Bene Gesserit would hunt their shedded skins among the sands and drag them back here to process them into the spice. For some evolutionary reason none of the Missionara can yet explain fully the creatures got smaller, perhaps a lack of food some suggest. Others believe that forces of evil hunted the worms and then our ancestors found ways to effectively farm them. We still have a deep connection to the desert because of them and one day we believe they will return in their giant form." They had reached a kind of courtyard with a series of large stone troughs mounted on the wall and wooden posts protruding from he wall beside them forming a ladder. Each trough had a kind of plug made of what looked like rubber in the centre and upon closer inspection the bottom of the troughs sloped slightly downward towards the hole. "This is what I think you could call a Spice Farm" Erin gestured to the courtyard, "across the city there are perhaps a hundred such farms. They breed the worms, which are actually more like a unique species of  desert millipede. Once a year the creatures shed their skin and when the bung is pulled the hole contains a sieve. The sands filters through to the trough below which can then be reused, the worms and their sheddings are collected. The worms are placed back in the trough and the sheddings taken for spice production. The process means that the workers need only fill the top trough with sand each time. They consume dead plants and animals so are pretty easy to feed." It wasn't harvest time so they couldn't see the process but one of the workers did fish out one of the creatures, it was about 8 inches long and he offered to let the Empress hold it on her hand.

"Once the shedding takes place we head over here." A voice came from behind, "Your Holiness" a short man with dark glasses spat on the ground, "You must be the Empress of Aosta, I'm proud to welcome you." He waved over to a girl who disappeared inside and then reappeared with a tray. "Spiced Tea?" he enquired as the girl offered the tray with small glass cups towards the guests. "I'm Arthur Giles, one of the spice producers of the city. I'm proud that we've been in business here for ten generations now. Even prouder that Annabelle here will be a Mother in just five years time all being well." The girl blushed. "The tea is made like any other but the spice is used as one might use sugar. Some say it gives them future sight, others than they can speak with Gods or ancestors, others that the tea just takes on a taste of a little cinnamon, it all depends how in tune with the spiritual world you are I suppose." He shrugged as he showed them a machine that looked like a big meat grinder. "Each year we dry out the sheddings for 48 hours and then they go in here. The sheddings are ground up into powder and then we seal it up in packets. We had to smuggle it for a while but not anymore. We can now send it to the faithful all over the world." he retrieved a packet from a box and handed it to the Empress, "I hope you can try it sometime soon."

"The Captain here is a Truthsayer graduate so could you perhaps find her a packet too." Erin asked and dutifully Arthur did so. "While we are here do you have any questions or is there anything else you want to see?" Erin asked the Empress.

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 10:29:48 PM »
The city was very much like Serena had imagined from the pictures that she had seen. If anything they were more dusty than she imagined but the lack of traffic didn't kick up too much. She would have liked to stop and speak to some of the people who had come out to see the Reverend Mother but that could come maybe later. She found the tales of giant sandworms in many ways laughable. Surely if such a beast existed there would be evidence. The Missionara seemed willing to investigate anything yet had not found proof of ginormous creatures that slithered through the sands. It just didn't make sense. It was though a fun story and so Serena smiled as the leader of the Bene Gesserit faith told the tall tale.

When she saw how unmechanised the process of the spice farm was it was in some ways impressive. In the day and age when everything and every process seemed so mechanised here were people doing things the same way they had for probably hundreds of years. It was like stepping back in a time warp. As Erin offered up one of the "Sandworms" Serena was at first repulsed by the thing but then seeing it run across her hosts hand she allowed it to cup into her hands. She had for some reason expected it to be slimy but it was for from it. The creature continued running but the constant placement of one hand in front of another meant that it always had a path to run on. After a while she carefully dropped it into one of the troughs close by and watched as almost instantly it vanished without a trace. She wondered how many called that particular mini desert home. As Arthur arrived Serena was glad of the refreshment, while the weather back home in Aosta was usually rather pleasant it wasn't desert warm and so the tea was a welcome beverage. "I've heard several people say the spice is rather addictive? Is that true?" she asked as she carefully sipped the tea. She figured it did taste of cinnamon but was still disappointed she didn't see the future or hear the voice of God, perhaps she just wasn't as spiritual as she was supposed to be. She accepted the gift from the man, "Thank you. I believe there are recipies for such things as spice cakes , if you had one I'd maybe like to try baking them upon my return." She asked.

Olivia was a bit more familiar with the spice and while she indulged annually she too had never experienced anything other than a slightly sweet taste. She however had never 100% known it was a pure supply as so couldn't resist licking her finger and trying a bit of this gift. Like her Empress there was no voice from the clouds or flashes of foresight. She wasn't disappointed, that was the job of the Mothers, she as a Truthsayer existed to simply protect those of that caste and that didn't require divine communication.

Serena pondered questions for a while, beyond a recipe request she had just one. "I have around 8million of your faithful in my Empire, I wonder how we could set up a system of regular supplies for their rituals and festivals? Could Seitch provide spice for 8million people?" It didn't seem possible but men like Arthur would likely know the answer.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 11:09:00 PM »
Arthur had heard of foreigners trying spice cakes, they weren't a native dish of Kaitaine but perhaps it was natural that as the Bene Gesserit diaspora headed out across Mundus they would adapt to the cuisine and customs of those in various different nations. "I'm afraid Your Majesty that I don't have a reciepe to hand for cakes, my wife does have in her baking repertoire a spice doughnut. I'll ensure its passed on before you leave. Arthur had expected questions to be addressed to Erin so was a little taken a back at that request. "In terms of a logistical and manufacturing point of view we'd be unlikely anytime soon to be able to provide eight million people with the spice , we could however ensure that those conducting rituals get it, we prioritise our shipments to the Sisterhood above all else, without the Melange they can't do their work and after all thats what matters. Perhaps Her Holiness can be able to offer some advice."

Erin nodded, "We just about ensure that the Chapterhouses and those Mothers registered to the Sisterhoods various networks. There are plans a foot to ensure that the supply is vastly increased as we move forward but that's a process of years not weeks or months. I will naturally ensure that your Chapterhouse continues to receive its supply as well as any Mothers conducting services and rituals. As things increase here we'll of course keep up with demand as best we can and of course Aosta will be towards the top of the list being a host of a Chapterhouse. Its my hope that the school can continue to contribute both to our faith and hopefully to your nation, much as Captain Adimari here has." The Reverend Mother bid Arthur goodbye and continued through the streets. Crowds had believed the leader of their nation and faith had reached her destination by now but her stop over the passers by stopped to see the young leaders pass through. Erin turned a few times in quick succession and reached a street where a short line was formed waiting to enter another courtyard type arrangement. Several people knelt for a blessing as Erin passed and she dutifully delivered before they entered the courtyard. People where entering a tall building through one door and exiting on the opposite side. "I have arranged for us to visit the Truthsayers Museum" she informed the guests. "The place is currently very small but growing, its being established on the site where Joanne McNeill and her team organised the resistance of the city, the cellar actually back a kind of bar for the Truthsayers once the city was liberated." They skipped the line and entered, noticeboards on the walls explained various exhibits and the sound of music from down some steps filled the entrance hall. A red rope blocked a short passage which had a sign on saying "Officals Only" and the Reverend Mother simply pulled the rope aside before knocking on the door. It opened and she was welcomed inside with the others. Down a short spiralling stair the corridor opened out into a vast vaulted room in which various tables were set up, clearly a bar. The music stopped as a pair of musicians on small fife and harp stood along with the handful of women in uniform who stood and snapped to attention. "Ladies please be at ease" Erin gestured for them to sit as she glanced around and the motioned for the music to begin. Erin found a table and waited for her guests to be seated. "Its quiet arguable that this room represents the starting point of our nations freedom. I thought it worth a visit. Captain Adimari can I ask about how you found the transition from Truthsayer training to Air Force officer?"

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 11:51:20 PM »
The Empress thanked Arthur for his time and followed Erin back out into the streets. "Rest assured we are proud to have the Chapterhouse school in Aosta. The academic contribution it makes is fantastic and its an institution I know that many look up to. If we can continue to support it I will do so." The Empress was a little puzzled by where they were going as it didn't look like a grand museum. The way she simply skipped past the rope with no ceremony made Serena wonder just how often she did this and the surprise increased as they found themselves in what seemed to be a bar. With the large number of Truthsayers around she guessed it would be among the most safe places within the Theocracy.

Captain Olivia Adimari had not expected to feature in the discussion but was happy that her religious leader showed an interest. "Well Your Holiness it actually made the move from Truthsayer to Air Force simple being at the Chapterhouse. While everyone else on basic training was still learning how to polish their shoes I was busy brushing up on advanced navigation. It was a great foundation for a career in the service. I was disappointed they refused to allow me to come here during the war with the Soviets but I suspect that was because you didn't really need pilots. Serving the Empress has been a good second option though. I see it as I get to demonstrate first hand to a monarch overseeing our diaspora that the Bene Gesserit are a group that will be good citizens and make a positive contribution, even if our hearts live in this desert." She glanced at the Empress to see if she approved but her face was expressionless as she enjoyed the music and a drink.

As Olivia finished her answer the Empress took over. "I think this is a place where if your move towards freedom began than it is a fitting place for me to ask for some council from yourself." She took a deep breath unsure how this would play out. "In the 1860's the 16 year old Cairist́ona Gordon and her family fled Kaitaine and ended up in Aosta. She was expected to become an Honored Matres in Kaitaine but instead found herself in Aosta with a significant amount of wealth behind the family. Her younger brothers were able to con the Aostan system and by the time the 1870's came about had got seats on our Sheppards Council, despite its name an important part of our government. Cairist́ona by now was in her mid 20's and had married a minor nobleman. She had a daughter Seona who became a member of the Missionara and rather than being put into academic service she found herself able to help her cousins become members of the Senate of Families. She was setting a ground work for what was to happen next. The third generation of Gordon women were born after Seona married an influential military officer. She had three daughters and all attended the Charterhouse, a Truthsayer, a Mother and an Honored Matres. It was the Matres, a woman called Isobel who managed to seduce Duke Massimo Colombera. Within three generations the Gordon family had infiltrated the highest echelons of Aostan society through wealth, guile and dedication. With the Duke away on government work so often Isobel ensured all their children were raised Bene Gesserit and by the year 1900 the family were committed to the faith all be it in secret. It was the Gordon's connections that made the Colombera family influential. While the men of the Colombera thought it was their wise business sense it was the Gordon's manipulating the Bene Gesserit global network to raise the families advantages. When in 1922 my ancestor Lorenzo married the Princess and heir to the throne, since then we've had secret Bene Gesserits on the throne. As Olivia here can confirm while I have not attended Chapterhouse, much the pity, I have been tutored in a private class with seven other noble girls in similar situations. My tutor a teacher at the Chapterhouse and should I have been able to sit the streaming exams I am told I would have become a Missionara. The purpose of my visit was two fold. First to support the Bene Gesserit of Aosta, the second to seek your blessings. I am afraid I must still live a lie as a member and leader of the folk faith, but in my heart I'm a Bene Gesserit and if I can support you then I will. I suppose before we go any further I must ask forgiveness for a deception kept even from the command of the Missionara and for your blessings as a follower of our faith."

Olivia spoke next. "Its true Your Holiness. The Empress had a small class of Bene Gesserit with her, as have her siblings. One of them, Princess Amelia would have been a Truthsayer had she gone to the Chapterhouse. The leaders of our faith in the past often talked to us in the Chapterhouses of having plans within plans. I suspect that as it was so long before we had a Reverend Mother there would be many such self sufficient plots across Mundus. I am confident this deception to the world is something we as Bene Gesserit can be pleased with."

The duo looked hopefully at the Reverend Mother, potentially the entire relationship between the two nations hanging in the balance.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2022, 10:46:52 PM »
Erin had ordered several drinks for the group and those already in the room knew better than to interfere with Her Holiness while she had guests. SHe had been aware of the fact that there was a few families in Aosta loyal to the faith and that they had even managed to infiltrate some of the higher echelons of the nation. The part where the Empress of Aosta described how the Gordon's had essentially hijacked the Colombera family impressed Erin, she would have to get her leading scholars to verify some of the historical matters however it was clear that before her sat an influential monarch prefessing loyalty to the Bene Gesserit faith. While the Four Holy Houses were something Erin could control this was a new prospect, while outside that Holy House system the Empress couldn't exert as much authority over the faith and therefore the Theocracy as the Corrino, Fremen, Harkonnen and Atreides families but on the other hand she could help swing things internationally. How to use her though would be interesting. Plans within plans, it would take some special thought.

"Empress if what you are telling me is true, and at present I have no reason to doubt you, then naturally as a Bene Gesserit you have my blessing. If your education is what you claim then you will also have my forgiveness and you will understand that I must and will require some steps of verification. For example I will be contacting the Aostan Chapterhouse to confirm this story. Now where we go will be driven by that, as Captain Adimari vouches for you I am happy to assume all will return well. For now though I suggest that we speak not as Reverned Mother and a sister but as a leader of a Theocracy in its infancy and the Empress of a historic Empire. How would you view a future relationship between the people of Aosta and the people of the Theocracy?"

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 05:12:29 PM »
Serena felt a wave of relief wash over her that the Reverend Mother hadn't been angry or offended that they'd worked their own grand scheme out. She knew that the Chapterhouse would support her so had no worries. "I would love to be able to say that I could lead the Empire into the light of the Sisterhood but we all know that will not happen. We make up 10% of a nation that clings desperately to its old folk faith. We have seen some movement towards the sisterhood since the faith embraced Mundus openly again and I think if the Missionara do their job correctly that could continue. From my own point of view I intend to come back with some kind of arrangement between our nations short of an alliance. I want to support you with trade, with diplomacy and some infastructure support. What I will not be able to do is offer mutual defence. I would be open to some backdoor arms supplies however. In return though there are some things I would like. At the top of that list would be to have the Gordon family recognised as a Holy House, I would say the Colombera but that would be too obvious. I would also like to have the Missionara find me a husband. I believe that my bloodline could be a useful one, we've been able to become the leaders of an Empire and we couldn't have done that unless blessed in some way. The lengths you can go to may well determine what I can offer."

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2022, 11:28:02 PM »
There were some high status requests for sure but Erin wasn't sure she could fulfil them all. "That's quiet a list of options. I do perceive though one huge problem. We have no justification for the establishment of a fifth holy house. Such a thing would come only after years of research and study by the Missionara. Simply creating one out the blue would raise so many questions among the faithful. I do though conceed that your family do deserve something in return for their rather exceptional work." She sat and thought for a moment or two while watching the goings on in the Truthsayers bar. "I do though see a way we can get your family some influence by less drastic measures and get them the attention you so obviously want them to have in the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood. When you return home I want you to get me a list of three members of the family you think are trustworthy and dependable. I will name them to high positions within the Sisterhood and ensure that they attend all the various councils that we run." She hoped that concession would at least be acceptable, it was giving some of the perks of being a Holy House without actually giving them the title.

"Now as for your marriage I am certain the Missionara would be thrilled at the prospect of playing match maker. Its clear your family have proven yourselves to be dedicated to the Sisterhood and clearly also skilled in manoeuvring through Aostan society. That kind of skill is useful to the Sisterhood and its endeavours to create the Kwizach Hadrach and so naturally I would support a good marriage. I'm just not exactly sure who. The ideal result would be if we had a member of one of the Holy Houses but I believe they lack any single male suitors at present. I'm sure though with their forest of family trees they'll find something. Does this meet your satisfaction?" Erin asked hopefully.