Author Topic: Charterlands Gazette  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Reenberg
Charterlands Gazette
« on: September 14, 2022, 08:54:51 PM »

RCON PROFTS UP FOR 2022 WITH TIME TO SPARE

RCon, the Charerlands largest infrastructure construction business, has declared that it has made an increase in profits this year. In 2021 the business made $105million in after tax profits and today confirmed that they look set to beat that considerably having reached that point already this year. The company provides construction for most cross Charterlands projects and also holds several maintainence contracts for road and rail systems in several Holdings. The company also look set to extend the amount of profit as they are set to reach a landmark milestone in the construction of the heavy freight rail system into the city of Elfenshof on the Northern coast. The project's 2nd line will be completed and as such another significant payment to RCon will be due.

RCon are 90% owned by the Reenberg family and their distant cousin Annette Fransson currently is the CEO of the business. Mrs.Fransson is hopeful of the company making even more profit next year. "The Elfenshof heavy freight contract should see a further three lines come into completion next year. Each line comes with bonuses and completion payments. Its something that will enable us to have a very strong balance sheet for 2023 and that is before we get many other projects underway. The company is also considering expansion overseas and that involves a world of possibilities." While Mrs. Fransson did not explain how she was planning on expanding overseas she did say it would be something "low key to begin with."

The company announced later in the day that it will be increasing workers who have been with the company more than five years a 4% pay increase while those who have served less will get a 2% increase. In addition the company have paid each worker, regardless of length of service, a bonus of $500. 

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
Re: Charterlands Gazette
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 03:24:56 PM »

DRAGON COUNCIL LOOK TO "HOME"

In 1913 a group of merchants from Lijiang began aquiring land in the Charterlands and became known as the Dragon Council just two years later. Since then they have been a magnet for many LIjiangians wishing to explore the world outside the Majestic Empire and have become an economically powerful part of the Charterlands. Today it was confirmed by Lady Cica Mok, leader of the Charter of Mokux, has invited the Dragon Emperor to visit during the Council's annual leaders summit. Each year the three territories that make up the Dragon Council meet to discuss policies and agreements for the year ahead with each of the territories leaders taking it in turns to act as Chairperson of the Council. This year Lady Cica has determined that the Dragon Emperor should also attend. The 50 year old runs several businesses including Moks Box, an online sports streaming business as well as overseeing her families Charter. She explained that it was important to tie the Council to its ancestoral lands. "Here we have built new lives and businesses. We do not wish to return to the Empire but we do wish to be friends with the Empire. Our ancestors built the Temples there, worked the paddy fields and mined the hills. Our spirits are part of those lands and so we shall ensure that we are like their siblings. I'm proud that we will hopefully have the Dragon Emperor here soon and look forward to discussing our future relations."

The current Charter Lord of Reenberg, Lady Charlotte Reenberg, has also supported the move. Speaking from Reenberghöfn Lady Charlotte said, "I wish the Dragon Council well. When one of the Charterlands finds success it helps us all. Lijiang seems an interesting place and I hope that any agreement Lady Cica makes is one that allows me a chance to visit that ancient homeland of hers." While the Dragon Council are free to enter into agreements with Lijiang they must ensure that the agreement conforms with the Central Charter. Lady Charlotte has in the past visited the Dragon Council during their annual summit while working for Reenberg Media Enterprises as a superviser, there is speculation that she will attend this year for the first time as Charter Lord as a mark of respect to the visiting guest should the invitation be accepted.

DEORA REAFFIRM COVENANT

The Kingdom of Deora was established in 1682 having seen Nirajan Rayamajhi purchase a Charter from the Reenberg family and then naming himself as King over his small agricultural acquisition. Today the Charter has just over 180,000 citizens and is an important part of the agrarian economy of the Charterlands. The first King agreed with the Reenberg family that rather than paying an annual rent an agreement was made that a force of 800 soldiers would be maintained by the Kingdom for use by the Charter Lord. This agreement would last ten years and be renegotiated giving the monarch of the Kingdom a choice to continue with the Covenant or begin paying a formal rent. This year Lady Charlotte Reenberg has meet with King Khadka II and renewed the agreement to supply a military force. Speaking following the meeting Lady Charlotte said, "I'm proud that King Khadka has supported this arrangement. The Deoran Light Infantry Regiment are a fantastic group of men and have been a steadfast force in the Charterlands military since the 17th Century. I leave her today not just with a continuation of the Covenant but also 64 new recruits will be returning with me to Reenberghöfn and I wish these young men well with their careers."

King Khadka II said talks were, "Wonderfully productive and short. Its clear the relationship between the Charter Lord and our Kingdom is vital for us and I am delighted it is valued by Lady Charlotte. We are a small but happy Kingdom proud to be part of the Charterlands." The agreement also confirmed the Kingdoms access to a port, protection for naming of several regional products and investment into irrigation.

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 10:48:06 PM »

"CARBON FARM" PLAN FOR GULF

The Reenberg family's Environmental Adviser, Dr. Wilhelm Kasperberg has today revealed that he has been given permission and funding from the  Reenberg Mineral Trade Ltd to carry out an experiment in carbon capture. The project will see an area of around 2km square sectioned off with floating barriers and in the middle the seaweed Sargassum will be grown. The process will see pipes extended down to deeper depths in the ocean to bring nutrient rich water to the surface on which the seaweed will feed and grow. The seaweed is effective in absorbing carbon from the atmosphere. Once it has grown sufficently it will be harvested by a specially constructed machine that will form it into bails. These will then lose the ability to float and sink to the ocean floor taking the carbon with them and thus removing it from the atmosphere. If the trial is successful then Dr.Kasperberg says the plan could be to have massive Carbon Farms across the oceans of the world and that the carbon capture could proceed for close to a thousand years before need to deal with the sunken bails. With the deep ocean having no oxygen the bails will not rot and harm the environment in fact the professor believes the bails could in fact help create habitats for a variety of marine life and become like a new form of reef.

There are concerns by some that the seaweed could get close to shore and the Sargassum gives off a horrid stench when it rots. Dr.Kasperberg though suggests this is unfounded. "We would build these farms well off the coast and in gyre's, these are swirling surface whirlpools that would prevent the clump from floating away and coming close to land. As the seaweed needs the nutrients from the depths of the ocean to survive and being away from the pipes dragging it up the seaweed would die and break up long before it got near the shoreline.

The project has been given $15million from the  Reenberg Mineral Trade Ltd to set the experiment up for two years. Some business experts have also suggested the project could bring funds into the company as several nations across Mundus charge a carbon tax. The project could, once up and running, sell carbon credits allowing companies such as airlines to offset their own pollution. Lady Charlotte Reenberg is set to also discuss the expansion of the project with King John from Hozland when the two meet in the near future. 

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 04:37:29 PM »

HOLDING SET TO DEFAULT ON AGREEMENT

Prince Bartholomew Monroe, leader of the Semelberg holding, has today confirmed it is likely that his holding will fail to fulfil its obligations under the Charter system in 2023. The 23 year old Prince inherited the Principality of Semelberg in March of this year after the death of his father Jonah. The Holding has a population of just under 65,000 people and relies heavily on its forestry industry. In recent years exports of timber have declined as many companies around the world turn to reclaimed timber and other sources for their wood. In addition the lack of real employment oppurtunities outside this industry have seen many young people leave in search of employment elsewhere. On January 1st the Prince will be expected to pay an annual fee for maintaining ownership of the land. This is estimated to be in the region of $12million. In addition the Principality is expected, if last years figures are maintained, 22 members of the Charterlands military. Under the Central Charter should either of these two conditions fail to be meet the territory will revert to the Reenberg family for either their own use or to redistribute.  The Prince has said that he is currently investigating ways in which this can be fulfilled. "The Monroe family acquired Semelberg in 1608 and is one of the oldest of the Charters. We have never sought to expand and always lived in peace with our neighbours. It would be though a fair assessment that over the last few decades the patriachs of our family have not always looked to the long term in the way they managed our family finances, while those like the Reenberg's have invested in newer industries we have still focused on woodlands management. We lack the financial power of other holdings. Our demographics are heavily scewed towards older inhabitants meaning our numbers of 18-32 year olds eligible to fulfil military requirements of five years service are limited. I have already confirmed that if we do not find the 22 men likely required I will include myself in the number if it will make the difference. I'm working with our advisers to see if we can keep the Principality alive."

The head of the Reenberg family is CharterLord Lottie Reenberg who spoke about the issue while visiting one of the families mineral extraction companies. "Semelberg have been on the brink several times before and always found a way to keep themselves in the Charterlands. This time though I fear for them. It is likely that they will be the first Charter to default in the last 150 years. The previous one was Mahm who defaulted during the Clothmakers Rebellion where they failed to provide their required military numbers. While I would be sad to see the Prince lose his Charter it is the case that if the territory is being mismanaged it is not good for the whole of the Charterlands. Should they default I would like to reassure the people living there that if required I would consult them in the process of reissuing the Charter."

Each Charter maintains their own small military force. The Semelberg Foresters however are a reservist force and have for the last five years failed to fulfil its own recruiting targets. Currently their commanding officer, General Thomas Morrell , estimates that they have just 350 of their desired 650 troops. While this all seems dire the Prince has two weeks to turn things around. 

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 04:00:45 PM »

SEMELBERG GETS NEW "MANAGEMENT"

With the Charter territory known as the Principality of Semelberg about to default on its Charter Agreement it has today been confirmed that an unlikely source has stepped in to take over the Charter. The Pelagiya family, which includes Queen Stasya of East Moreland, have provided the $12million required to ensure the Principalities integrity is ensured. An agreement was made between Queen Stasya, Prince Bartholomew of Semelberg and Charer-Lord Lady Reenberg. Under this agreement the Pelagiya family replace the Monroes as the holders of the charter however have given an undertaking of leaving the Monroes as the decision making body on all but budgetary decisions. This will see the 23 year old Prince remain as the Prince of Semelberg and his bloodline shall maintain that position. Queen Stasya however, and presumably her husband King David, will adopt the title High Princess or High Prince. This title will pass down through their bloodline meaning that their son Prince Llewellyn will likely one day inherit the title of High Prince of Semelberg. The Pelagiya family will appoint a Chancellor who will control the budget and approve spending requests by Prince Bartholomew. An agreement was also put in place that despite the Principalities now seemingly East Moreland connection it would not be subject to East Moreland laws and the Norse Pagan faith followed by the majority of the Principality would not be impacted.

Prince Bartholomew spoke of his hopes for the future saying, "I am relieved that we can still go on as a community. The fear would always be that if we let the Charter lapse an outsider would come in and take advantage of owning the land by removing our family, breaking down our heritage and our communities and imposing something very new. In the arrangement with the Pelagiya family we have stability for the years ahead that will hopefully allow us to regain some of our economic strength and be self sustaining once more. That will of course mean some changes and I will work hard with the Chancellor to ensure that this is done." The Prince also spoke of his relief at the identity of those stepping in saying, "East Moreland are a nation we have seen work well with people who share our faith. Their friendship with the Alanders is well known and I'm confident they will understand our culture. They are also a nation that have a huge diplomatic network that I hope I can find a way to tap into." However as of yet only Queen Stasya has spoken of the arrangement saying "I think the Monroe's, Pelagiya's and Ironside's can ensure that this lovely little Principality goes from strength to strength. The people of Semelberg value hard work and community and thats something I respect. I look forward to our relationship moving forward." It is thought that some of the money for the project comes from the families businesses in Queen Stasya's Lodjian homelands while the Queen herself has made several fashion business enterprises which have been rather successful.

One question mark about the Charter agreement remains however with the Principality needing to provide 22 soldiers for the Reenberg military this coming year. Prince Bartholomew had stated that if the number couldn't be found he would fill one of the spaces. In the past arrangements have been made for foreign nationals linked to a Charter to fill it however as of now that has not been discussed. The announcement of the Principality not defaulting comes just a few weeks after a trade agreement between the Reenberg Charters and East Moreland were reached an agreement Lady Reenberg has said, "Will be opened up to the whole of the Charterlands in the weeks ahead." However her press secretary stated, "At no point during talks with King David and Lady Reenberg did the status of Semelberg come up. This was very much a last minute deal done between Queen Staya, Duke Tobias Pelagiya and Lady Reenberg negotiating with the Prince."

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 10:16:13 PM »

RCON SITE VANDALISED IN SEMELBERG

It was reported this morning that the Reenberg Construction site in Semelberg where the Sisterhood of Helus first Charterlands place of worship is being built has been the victim of vandalisation. CCTV footage shows a number of black clad masked figures scaling the perimeter fence just after 1am having first subdued the night watchman leaving him tied to an office chair. Once over the fence the team released hydraulic fluid from many of the construction machines, smashed cabin windows and then lit fires under several supply stores destroying thousands in damages. The attack has been classed as an act of terrorism and follows a string of terrorist attacks on the Sisterhood of Helus within East Moreland. With the Morelander Royal Family having recently acquired the ownership of the Charter of Semelberg. The region is home to a large Norse Pagan population however High Princess Stasya Ironside has stated that she hopes to introduce the population to her adopted faith. The Temple and joined school would be a step in that direction. Back in the faiths homeland of East Moreland there have been several terrorist attacks on the faith including bomb threats, shootings and mortar attacks. The Charter Law Enforcement Group (CLEG) are responsible for investigating terrorist incidents and have been called upon at act. In addition the Semelberg authorities will be able to carry out an investigation alongside this.

To date there has been no perpatrators identified either in East Moreland or the Charterlands. The RCon have said that the work on the site will continue once the investigation has been undertaken and that they are confident of being able to complete the work.

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 10:39:02 PM »

ILLEGAL ARMS FOUND IN THE CHARTERLANDS

Following discoveries of 3D Printed firearms in East Moreland copies of the same type of weapon have been discovered in the Colony of Reform. The Colony was established in 1706 by Royal Seleucid to use as a penal colony but in 1806 came under the control of Suleiman Rasharawi after the Seleucid began to no longer send criminals. Since then the Rasharawi family have controlled the coastal region. The find was discovered in a warehouse close to the regions port when members of the Charterlands Fisheries Protection Board (CFPB) reported a strange container being removed from a shipping freighter. A raid was conducted by the Charterlands Security Forces who seized fifteen of the 3D printed weapons alongside a consignment of hunting rifles. The majority of the hunting rifles were seemingly legal in the majority of the Charters however were not cleared for export.

Speaking after the CSF confirmed the seizure a spokesman stated "Our concern is that the Colony of Reform could be used as a passageway for these weapons. I'm confident however that between the Colonies own security teams and our own we can ensure that this does not happen." A total of four people were arrested. The Reenburg Naval Service (RNS) also moved the CNV Ohlin into the region to help support in operations.

LADY CHARLOTTE TURNS DOWN "ANNUAL PROPOSAL" FROM XUTANGHE

Huan Ru Feng, the leader of Xutanghe Charter, has today once more sent an offer of marriage to the leader of the Charterlands, Lady Charlotte Reenburg. The Xutanghe Charter was set up in the early 1910's and is one of three Charters whose ancestors are from Lijiang. Since 1914 a member of the Feng clan has sent an offer of marriage to the most senior unmarried member of the Charterlands. Since 2016 this has been Lady Charlotte who became CharterLord in 2020. The tradition has always been rejected and has now become more of a new years tradition than anything serious. Each year the Lord of Xutanghe has sent a messanger with gifts of a newly made wedding gown, two horses and some jewellery to Reenburg Isle. This year Lady Charlotte meet the messenger and thanked him for the gifts before rejecting it. Lady Charlotte then offered to return the gifts but this was rejected in turn. As she has always done one of the horses was taken to join the military while the other was returned to Xutanghe were it will be used for a charity riding school that supports ill children. The jewellery will be placed in the National Museum as part of the Reenburg Collection.

Speaking later in the day Lady Charlotte said, "I am flattered by Huan's offer and his charming letter that accompanied his messengers always makes me smile. A marriage such as this would be perfect back in Lijiang but for me its not possible to marry someone I am not in love with. While for some around the world dynastic marriages are important for me it is not. I focus my time on looking after the Charterlands and my six year old son Magnus. I wish Huan good luck though in his search for matrimony and look forward to next years proposal."

For his part 62 year old Lord Huan said "For someone with Lijiang blood in his veins a good marriage to a well connected woman is vital. Lady Charlotte is the pinnacle of that in the Charterlands. I hope that she is not offended and that I will gradually perhaps wear her down. She is a woman that I admire and I hope that in all decisions in her life she is happy." Lord Huan is this year taking the lead of the Dragon Council's Cultural Association and says that he intends to put together a travelling showcase of Lijiang art and culture to entertain the CHaterlands.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 02:46:24 PM by Lauren »

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 12:14:15 AM »

RLF MAKE FIRST EVER HISTORIC CRIMES ARREST

Today members of the Reenburg Land Forces, the Charterlands Army, made the first ever arrest under the terms of the Historic Crimes Treaty. It is understood that at just before midnight last night the East Moreland representative of the  The Historic Crimes Commission Panel (HCCP) presented the Panel with a folder of evidence connecting  Delshad Khoroushi to crimes committed during the Cultist Genocide as well as crimes in 2001 against the Maori. Representatives of the Panel then issued a HJT Warrant for the arrest of Lt-Col Khoroushi which late this morning was executed by members of the RLF. The former Selecuid military member was arrested in the Colony of Reform where he had been residing for the past two years. Khoroushi was then taken to Reenberghöfn where he was approved for extradition meaning that the Historic Crimes Treaty no longer needs to be utilised. Lady Charlotte Reenburg issued a statement saying "Having signed the Historic Crimes Treaty it applies to all Charter territories. A warrant from the HCCP is therefore no different to one issued by the highest courts here and so we acted. The decision to deport therefore falls not to the ruler of the Colony of Reform but to myself. Having been permitted to look at the file I shall simply say that Mr. Khoroushi has a case to answer. We faced a decision of deportation to East Moreland, the Iwi or to the Historic Crimes Tribunal and with our belief that a fair trial can be achieved we are looking to speed the process along."

The Emir of the Colony of Reform stated he only partly supports the process however. "The Historic Crimes Treaty is important but to say someone such as Delshad could get a fair trial in East Moreland is not a statement I agree with. We tried to push for the Tribunal to see the case but Lady Charlotte has to make that decision. As a man who honours my commitment to the Central Charter and the rule of law I must accept her decision and I shall pray to Allah that justice is done for all parties." It is believed that in 2003 then then Liutenanat Khoroushi was a member of a Seleucid military unit that executed prisoners of war as the Seleucid left what is now the Commonwealth of the Iwi. He spent a career as a soldier and was part of a unit accused of taking part in the Cultist Genocide.

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 01:58:41 PM »

PRINCE NAMED AS NEW FOREIGN AFFAIRS ADVISER

The Charter-Lord, Lady Charlotte Reenburg, has today named Prince Bartholomew of Semelberg as the new Foreign Affairs Adviser, replacing Lord Bruno Mikaelsson. The 24 year old Prince has this week secured membership of the Council of Small Nations for the some holding, making it the second of the Charters to join the organisation alongside Themyscania. The Prince will now sit on the Advisory Panel which offers the Charter-Lord input on a whole manner of issues ranging from education and health care to management of the armed forces. The Prince becomes the first member from Semelberg to sit on the Advisory Panel in 110 years. Speaking from the Semelberg royal estate Prince Bartholomew stated "I'm happy to bring my limited experience to help the community of the Charterlands as best I can. There are a lot of people out there more experienced than myself when it comes to politics but I think my recent experiences have certainly helped make me more confident in regards to international diplomacy. I'm excited about the Council of Small Nations and grateful to both High Princess Stasya for giving her permission to join while also pleased Lady Charlotte has allowed us to take up the oppurtunity."

Lady Charlotte has however stated that she will be putting in place internal measures to mean any of the Charters moving forward will be required to get direct permission from herself before being allowed to even pursue membership of this new council. In her statement she said "While we support our Charters to take steps to strengthen their own economy and opportunities for their members they are still duty and in fact contract bound to follow our Charter agreements above all. We run the risk of a parrallel system beginning and that is not going to be acceptable."