Author Topic: The News from Aosta  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Aosta2
The News from Aosta
« on: September 21, 2022, 11:08:03 PM »

RELIGIOUS PROTECTION FUND "PARTIALLY DIVERTED" FOR FIRST TIME

Each year since the 1780's the Imperial Family have paid a sum of money to any faith with an estimate of 10% or more of the population in order to help ensure access to places of worship. This year the Empress Serena has announced that the portion allocated to the Catholic Church will not be given and instead will be given directly to "Street Organisations that help the poor." Making the announcement the Empress said, "The Catholic Church has vast sums of financial reserves, it will not miss the $15million that we would have given them. That money instead will be given directly to organisations and charities that work directly with the homeless and poor. Catholics across the Empire in many ways have two allegiances, first to the crown and also to the Pope via their faith. I am confident that $15million is a drop in the ocean for the Catholic Church especially if we glance back just a relatively short period of time when they were giving nations vast sums to fund projects there. Those of the Catholic faith can rest easy knowing that this years Religious Protection Fund payment will be distributed with their faiths own ethos in mind and I intend, wherever possible, that the charities being given the money be ones connected to the Church."

Meanwhile the $15million given to the Bene Gesserit faith will continue to be paid. "Since the faithful of that religion outed themselves we have seen their numbers swell. At present there are just over 8million Bene Gesserit in Aosta and I suspect the number could be rather higher. We have seen that community engage massively with educational based projects. One of the favourites I have heard of is travelling libraries visiting remote rural areas to allow children to borrow books and I've even seen adult literacy classes being run. Our nations literacy rate of 97% is good but not perfect and anyone helping in that regard I am more than happy to celebrate."

The announcement was meet with mixed reactions. One Catholic we spoke to in Ovado said, "The money didn't go far if we're being honest, a few coats of paint, some new upholstery in Churches here and there. The Empress is right to say that the Church won't miss the money and if it helps the homeless I'm sure Jesus would approve." Meanwhile some criticised the fact that one faith recieved the payment and not the other. "The Bene Gesserit faith has some fat cat rich benefactors around the world. I am sure the Fremen family could have easily found $15million to give to their group. It seems unfair to deny Catholics the same support as the Bene Gesserit when Empress Serena is supposed to be everyone's Empress."

The Empress has however reassured members of the Catholic faith that funding that goes into faith based schools is still secure saying, "The Empire will ensure all children aged between 4-18 are guaranteed a quality education that as far as possible is of their choice. The Catholic schools in the Empire are excellent facilitators of our nations curriculum and so long as parents want their children to attend them I will ensure that they have the tools and resources to do their job. It is even my hope that in the coming months we may be able to divert more money towards are educational systems and ensure every Aostan leaves school with a world class education that gives them opportunities to better not just their own lives but the fortunes of the Empire."

Funding for the Folk Faith Temples will be untouched. Currently 74% of Aostans describe themselves as members of that faith and 62% of those describe themselves as having "Strong" faith. Empress Serena is due to attend this coming weekends Ceremony of Decline at the coastal town of Excenex.

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: The News from Aosta
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 05:49:33 PM »

EMPRESS ANNOUNCES STRIKE RELIEF FUND FOR TROYES

Empress Serena has today instructed the Assemblea Delle Guardie, the body responsible for approving all budget changes, to make around $10million avaliable to the "Trade Union movement within Troyes". In an official memo sent to the Assembly the Empress said, "Since the city of Troyes is under occupation by foreign, non Albion powers, with no legitimate reason for them being there it is necessary to do whatever is reasonable to help our neighbours free themselves. The fact that the people of that occupied city have shown such remarkable restraint and maintained peaceful protests is in my mind incredible. I wish that the Empire of Aosta support these peaceful protestors by making funds avaliable through recognised trade union movements to support those workers taking to the streets. In addition to funds to support those losing their income in defence of their futures I will be issuing orders in the coming days for other assistance in the aid of food packages for strikers to be made avaliable. We may not have stood with Marseille when they faced the Sorority of Materna but now we shall stand with them as they reunify their nation."

The 87 member Assembly voted on the request and 86 members voted in favour with only Alessandro Miedo abstaining. Following the vote Mr. Miedo stated, "I have abstained not because I am against the idea, but I believe that we should do more to ensure these funds go directly to the people rather than the trade unions. I will not though stand in the way of Her Imperial Majesty supporting our neighbours." While the lower assembly, the "Senato delle Famiglie", had no vote on the matter its leading spokesperson Claudia Castane said, "I am a firm believer that this is a move we should support. Tomorrow when the Senate meet to handle our own business of day to day government I will be placing a motion before the Senate that we should request each regional council to undertake charitable endeavours to also provide support for the people of Troyes."

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 10:10:00 PM »

FEBRIS FIGHTER SIGNS OFF

Today the nations F-5 Febris Air Defence Fighter made its final patrol before being withdrawn from service. Aircraft enthusiasts lined the fence at the National Aerodrome Academy Air Base where a pair of Febris aircraft landed following an hour long sortie. Flt. Lt Roberto Tomadahl made the final landing in the aircraft that has been in service since the mid 1970's. While the aircraft was at one time considered the leading fighter within the Imperial Air Force it has since the early 2000's found itself reduced to more of a training and routine patrol aircraft. It was confirmed that the 35 Febris left on the books of the Air Force are to be split between various museums and 15 sold to private collectors across Mundus. Flt. Lt Tomadahl spoke with the media following the final sortie saying, "The Febris has been my aircraft for the last three years and in that time I have had several young pilots cut their teeth in the fighter. The time has come though for the old lady to leave us and while we will miss her iconic shape and lines we are excited at what is to come."

The Air Force have been expecting a total of 60 N-AX fighters from Nya Aland to be delivered. The first of these is set to arrive tomorrow however 18 members of 165 Squadron have been in Nya Aland learning the controls of the new state of the art aircraft over the last month or so. The new fighter is a definite jump forward and features a range of stealth technologies with much greatly updated systems. The new aircraft will be known as the F-28 Farfadet and Flt.Lt Tomadahl will be the first pilot to take the aircraft on patrol. A spokesman for the Ministry of Defence stated, "We've over worked the Febris for far too long and changes need to be made a while back. We've been a little lax in the situation but people should now be assured we've a very capable aircraft entering service. We're thrilled the Alanders have agreed to fulfil our needs and we look forward to welcoming their work to the Empire."

New F-28 Farfadet

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 09:52:32 PM »

EMPRESS MEETS MAYOR OF TROYES

Empress Serena has spent the last 24 hours hosting the Mayor of the Seaforthian enclave known as Troyes. Jean-Baptiste Bret won the Mayoral election there in late 2021 and represents a party that is calling for the Seaforthians to leave the city which they claim ownership of. There have been a number of protests there and all recent elections for councils have returned results showing anti-Seaforthian occupation. The city lies just 50km from the border of the Empire and the Empress has described it several times as an "occupied territory of Marseille" During Mayor Bret's visit the duo toured the capital city of the Empire, Ovado, which during the Marseille conflict played host to a community of refugees. The Mayor meet with people who had run programmes helping these refugees and carrying out various other humanitarian efforts. The two then returned to the Imperial Palace for a series of talks. Following a busy day of meetings and tours the Empress and Mayor drove to the border of Marseille together where the two bid each other farewell. The Empress went on to say, "The Empire of Aosta believes strongly that the city of Troyes is property of Marseille. The number of protests there, the will of the people there and even the culture there clearly shows the people are Marseillian. Travel there and you don't see haggis and kilts, you see a love of fine wines and fine food. The recent action by the group called The New Real Marseille shows people will not take their occupation much longer. We will do whatever is within our means to support the people of Troyes to rejoin their fellow citizens of Marseille."

It was later confirmed that the Empress has agreed that should Troyes become part of Marseille she would be willing to offer it free port status in a similar way as to the agreement between Aosta and Lodja. She has also confirmed that she will permit fisherman from Troyes to land their catch tax free in Aosta to avoid paying any taxes to Seaforth.

The Empress is currently in Rokkenjima to discuss a potential cross Strait of Shaw agreement. There are however concerns that the Empresses outspoken support of Troyes may cause issues there as Rokkenjima have traditionally been extremely pro-Seaforthian and even have a member of their Imperial Family who has served in the Seaforthian Navy.

Offline Aosta

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 04:40:26 PM »

EMPRESS SET FOR TROYES SUPPORT

Following a statement released by the ADSN regarding the future of the disputed city of Troyes in Marseille the Empress has today been seen in the city. As protests took place she was spotted, as was the Rokkenjiman Empress, showing support to those taking part in the long running strike in the city. Empress Serena has visited the city on several occasions and has used todays visit to announce further support. "We initially announced as $10million package to support those of you on strike, we had anticipated that the strike wouldn't last this long but it has and I am amazed at your determination to continue it despite the economic hardship you will be facing. Some time ago we opened a centre here in the city and now that centre will act as an aid station. Any citizen of Troyes who is a member of a Union can go and get a meal there no questions asked. We will be providing clean clothing which can be taken away and a further $30million will be released to support people in hardship. I also today make another offer but this time to any Seaforthian in the city. A time is coming where the city will return to its rightful owners and while this is the only future for the city we wish no harm or hardship for Seaforthians. We will if requested pay the travel costs of any Seaforthian wishing to leave Troyes, we will willingly offer them visas to Aosta if they have no wish to return to their homeland and we will offer each family $2,000 to help them in their move. Any business based in Troyes can approach our support centre and my Ministry of Trade will have a representative there. We will look at ways of fairly buying your business and in the long term placing it in the hands of a native trader for the benefit of their own community."

The Empress then went on to announce a military exercise she is hoping to run. "I have today had a letter delivered to the President of Marseille that outlines the desire for a joint military exercise. It will, regardless of Seaforth's response, to the ADSN ultimatum begin on the 1st of May 2024 and will feature a vast number of transits between bases in Marseille and Aosta effectively passing Troyes on a very very regular basis. The exercise will last a month." Additionally the Empress has said. "We will be inviting screened members of the New Real Marseille to also take part in these exercises as we have seen how the notion of active and responsible militia forces have contributed to the freedom of Marseilles."

The Empress is now heading to the Eastern part of  Abertone where she will enter talks with Emperor Marco.