Author Topic: Fireside Chat 3.0  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Fireside Chat 3.0
« on: February 14, 2023, 11:43:07 PM »

My Fellow Orderians,

It's been a while since I've been able to say that I know most of the members of our region. In the early days we built a close-knit community where just about everyone knew everyone and that was part of the magic of the Order. As years pass I feel it's easy to settle in and get comfy, perhaps in some ways like that chair that's well-worn, tattered yet, despite mom's loudest protests dad simply refuses to take it to the curb for pick-up. "It's comfortable, I'll never find another like it!" he says until one day he's at work and she takes matters into her own hands. Getting comfortable is human, yet there are certain comforts which deprive us of opportunities, those which expand horizons and present new sights and experiences that we'd never have the chance to experience because, well, that comfy old chair is what we've come to feel safe in.

Being aloof, not knowing many people, lacking communication which leads to misunderstandings which could easily be tackled if a few words were exchanged, I have not been as present as I could be and I'd like to start changing that. Like in the days of old I'd like to invite all of you, new and old, to join me for another fireside chat. I hope we can exchange ideas, address concerns and, also, thought-provoking discussions. I also expect some fun along the way.  :P

I may invite other Orderians from time to time to answer questions as well.  ;)

Before we proceed, allow me to present a few ground rules:

• You can ask about anything regarding NationStates, the Independent Order, its Government or roleplay matters. Questions not related to the Order, its Government or role-play matters will be answered by discretion.
  • You should be respectful when asking questions; being offensive next to the fire isn't nice, and really throws off the feng shui of the Chancellery Suite.
  • The Vice Chancellor and I, along with guests we may invite, shall answer all questions presented, though if they are not relevant to the Order, its Government or roleplay we reserve the right to decline.
  • Discussions which take place in this topic should remain respectful and calm.

As some of you don't know me I should introduce myself. I joined the Order in 2013 in the days before our region even had an RP. Back in those days I served 7 (I think?) straight terms as the regions Premier, various terms in our regional legislature, and I'm sure the older members will remember the intricacies of Orderian politics at the time. I feel that I thrive more writing character-driven material, taking a more narrative approach when it comes to military RPs, and much of the time I don't have an "end goal" in mind; I like to keep things as free-form as possible since I feel that allows for myself and all involved to truly showcase their creativity in a way that's not possible with pre-determined outcomes. Take my first open RP for example; did I know that the Ambassador from Bechstein was going to be assassinated? Nope! But the twists that others provided encouraged considering creative avenues I never would have thought of had it not been for that wildcard being thrown my way.

I also feel that, in not taking the time to get to know many people, there's opportunities which have been lost out on as well as misunderstandings which could have been rectified had time been taken to reach out, one on one. So let's take some time to get to know each other, have some fun, and perhaps create new opportunities.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Re: Fireside Chat 3.0
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 07:48:15 PM »
I will go ahead and be the first to start. I joined TIO almost five years ago by Dave’s invitation and only care about the RPing aspect of the region. I wasn’t even aware for most of my time in TIO that the region had a government or something. Since I care almost exclusively about RPing it is why I generally leave the forum/Discord sever if I am no longer interested in RPing.

I personally see RPing somewhat like a simulation. By that I mean that i lay out the nation and then I try to think how would people in that nation react to (international) events, how they would interpret them (via their biases and their personal agendas) and how would they be affected by events. I obviously have my personal biases but that is usually the starting position when writing posts. I always enjoy fleshing out different organizations and characters not related to the government of the nationt.  I like my nation to be more organic and fleshed out rather than be represented only by a couple of government characters.

I also (usually) make an effort to write posts in a way or about stuff that is also interesting to at least one other player. So I generally stay away from posts that don’t reference any current or past international events, reference other player nations or that do not provide at least a hook for other players. It also why I make an effort to add hyperlinks to my post that reference other players work. This goes in line with my philosophy that RPing is not a single player game so to speak.

Oh yeah, and I enjoy nations that just like in RL have political systems which are flawed to say the least and have different issues ranging from poverty, totalitarianism, historical grievances etc. I stay away from utopian nations.

As far as questions go, I will ask Beatrice the following:

1.   How would you describe the present day situation of TIO in terms or RPing activity (number of posts, threads started, new members joining etc) ?
2.   How would you describe the present relation between members? Do you think TIO is in a better position than during the events of last year ( by the events of last year I mean those here https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=2611.0 )
3.   Do you feel that something should be done to improve the current state of affairs (TIO RPIng activity and relations between players) or are you pleased with how things are going?
4.   As a RPer do you have any grievances when it comes to RPing in TIO and with TIO members? Does anything bother you or are you generally pleased? 
5.   How do you see RPing and TIO? Is it a discord community with an optional forum for RPing, a community of RPers that also have a discord server or something else?

Thanks in advance.   

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 11:16:18 PM »
My apologies for the late reply, life got hectic for a good bit there! As things are settled down and I'm much happier these days, let us resume. :)

The approach which you took was truly a splendid spectacle to watch and partake in and I shall always be thankful for your contributions and what you brought to the region. Time to answer some questions! :)

1.   How would you describe the present day situation of TIO in terms or RPing activity (number of posts, threads started, new members joining etc) ?

RP activity seems to be doing well and, from what I've read in recent days, there's a lot of talent and potential out there for great stories to be crafted. As I've been here since the beginning I am looking forward to seeing where all the new people go and where they take things with this wonderful tapestry we all share. I do look forward to coordinating more on recruitment so we can see yet more new faces join us and share their contributions and passions with us all.

2.   How would you describe the present relation between members? Do you think TIO is in a better position than during the events of last year ( by the events of last year I mean those here https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=2611.0 )

There's always more that can be done, and it is not lost upon me that there are people who I have things to make up for with. There are certainly things that I regret, I wasn't in the best frame of mind recently and so tensions from life, pressure from work, and personal situations all collided to make for a not-so-pleasant Beatrice. I'd like to think we're in a bit of a better spot but I don't think I'll be wholly comfortable with things, or ready to say all is hunky-dorry until I've been able to make amends for truly unfortunate circumstances and situations. You all deserve me at my best and I was not at my best recently, and that is not an excuse either, I'm just being honest. I'll gladly talk with anyone to resolve any concerns or issues they may hold and I look forward to re-connecting and sharing smiles, laughs and solid writing once again. I'm sorry I couldn't hide my issues, and that instead of dealing with things certain scenarios became outlets for the negative energy that was building up within me. No one deserved that, and to each and every person who's had an unpleasant exchange with me I am sorry, and I hope I'll have the chance to make up for it because, without you all there's truly nothing here, and each person is truly irreplaceable. Members come and go, it's part of regional life, but they shouldn't go because of such things and I want the Order to be a place of refuge from the challenges we all face in life, a creative and relaxing space. I'll do my part to see that is maintained where I admittedly failed in the past.

3.   Do you feel that something should be done to improve the current state of affairs (TIO RPIng activity and relations between players) or are you pleased with how things are going?

We need to ensure open and honest communications while maintaining a responsibility to be kind, understanding and patient with one another. I'll do better to set a good example and forge the way. It's part of why I'm here having this chat today.

4.   As a RPer do you have any grievances when it comes to RPing in TIO and with TIO members? Does anything bother you or are you generally pleased?

Generally pleased, though I do wish to do more open RPs like my early days, the open-ended kind that just saw creative energies directing the current without a per-conceived end-goal in mind.

5.   How do you see RPing and TIO? Is it a discord community with an optional forum for RPing, a community of RPers that also have a discord server or something else?

The forum is not optional, it contains so much of our history and is the living heart of the community. We could survive without the Discord and be 100% fine, not so much the other way if the forum was somehow lost.

Please do keep the questions coming and let's all get to know each other just a bit better. :)

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Kodima

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Danekamp
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 03:37:28 PM »
Trying to be as respectful as possible. I understand we all have lives outside TIO but we seem to end up here every few months and it seemingly is the same stuff.

We've seen you say several times "I'll gladly speak with anyone" and "my door is always open" but as someone with the leadership of the region is it not on you to be more pro-active. You say you  want to "forge the way" then perhaps the way is to be more about approaching people. Every RP I've seen of yours has either been with Ach, Daito and Tytor, pulling Dave occasionally or has expected people to come to one of your huge gatherings that seem to just be about Rokkenjima looking good or giving something away. Its almost like two regions exist.

I hope this time the things you say happen as I think I've now read this speech in various guises several times since joining TIO. Meanwhile we've lost several people because of these issues.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 01:54:41 AM »
Trying to be as respectful as possible. I understand we all have lives outside TIO but we seem to end up here every few months and it seemingly is the same stuff.

We've seen you say several times "I'll gladly speak with anyone" and "my door is always open" but as someone with the leadership of the region is it not on you to be more pro-active. You say you  want to "forge the way" then perhaps the way is to be more about approaching people. Every RP I've seen of yours has either been with Ach, Daito and Tytor, pulling Dave occasionally or has expected people to come to one of your huge gatherings that seem to just be about Rokkenjima looking good or giving something away. Its almost like two regions exist.

I hope this time the things you say happen as I think I've now read this speech in various guises several times since joining TIO. Meanwhile we've lost several people because of these issues.

I respectfully disagree with your assumptions about my "huge gatherings" RPs, they were always attempts to give IC options to repair things, and I'd only receive minimal OOC input on them or, in the last topic where the Crown Princess invited Mundus to meet her, absolutely little traction. Is it any wonder that someone who loves to write focuses on those who choose to create with her, and not seek "gotcha!" moments? If people thought that my intentions were otherwise than they were they should have communicated with me, but they didn't. That's all I'm going to say on this, your perception is not wholly accurate.

Beatrice Anselmo