Author Topic: Ostlake Movie Awards 2023  (Read 2404 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Ostlake Movie Awards 2023
« on: February 20, 2023, 09:00:12 PM »
THE OSTLAKE FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS 2023

The Ostlake Film Awards now mark the 6th year of international involvement. 

As with last year nominations will be open until the 27th of Febuary at which point voting will begin with the winner announced on the 6th of March in a glittering award ceremony hosted in Ostlake.

We look forward to welcoming you all soon

Jocelyn Hopkins
Hostess of the "Ossies" 2023

OOC - OK This is how it works there are various categories that people can enter with rules for each. You fill in your form, post your nominations and then a poll will be created to determine the winner of each category. Try and keep your nominations culturally relevant, so for example I wouldn't expect Nya Aland to be nominating a Bollywood film or soundtrack. I may have also missed some past nominations where people have claimed things. Also don't think about claiming whole studios.

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM

You can nominate any film from the last 10 years or one you have created yourself (but not like Fast & Furious 72 or Titanic 2:Return of Jack) .It can be in any language, genre etc. You may not claim whole movie studios but you may claim a single franchise, so in the past I believe Dartfordia had one of the Harry Potter films meaning the whole Harry Potter franchise is Dartfordian, this however doesn't mean they own the whole of Warner Brother. In terms of cross over stuff like Marvel by claiming say Iron Man, you don't then get the whole Marvel world, I'd personally stick clear of such "Universe" films.

Each nation may nominate two films using the form below, please check what was claimed last year (if the person nominating has since left I'm freeing up the stuff they claimed), also if in terms of news posts someone has claimed a film that someone nominates could they please POLITELY tell them and post a link to where. I've also updated the "What's Gone" list and removed those who have left. Thank you.

What's Gone

Achkaerin - Avengers
Achkaerin - LaLa Land
Achkaerin - Hunger Games
Achkaerin - Star Trek
Achkaerin - James Bond
Achkaerin - X-Men
Achkaerin - Peter Pan and therefore also Tinkerbell
Achkaerin - Lord of The Rings and therefore also The Hobbit
Achkaerin - Pokemon
Achkaerin - The Matrix
Dartfordia -Frozen
Dartfordia - Harry Potter
East Moreland - Star Wars I inadvertently claimed it here however I think, but have not been able to find otherwise that someone pre-dates that claim, if someone can find it I'll relinquish the claim otherwise WOOHOO!!!
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Tytor
Little Women - Tytor
The Truman Show - Tytor
Gravity - Tytor
The Incredibles - Tytor
Zootopia - Tytor
Hotel Rwanda (as "Hotel Ubakasa") - Tytor
The Lego Movie - Tytor
How to Train Your Dragon - Tytor
Au revoir là-haut - Heyra
Free Guy - Tytor
Jumanji - Tytor
Man Standing Next -  Djabidjan
The Guardian - Djabidjan
Death of stalin - Nis
Cool Runnings - Paracambi

If I've missed any someone let me know

Name of Film
Genre
Nation
Brief Outline
Link to the trailer

In terms of trailers please use legal ones.

BEST INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM

Time to randomly watch YouTube Stuff. You may nominate any Short Film (classed as less than 7 minutes), by that I mean the whole film, it can't be a kickass six minute section from a longer film. It must be legally viewable on YouTube.

You may nominate up to three films. I'm also aware we have a few YouTube video makers in the region and there would be no barrier to you nominating your own stuff or making something for this, in fact in my opinion I'd be voting for you for sure.

Name of Film
Genre
Nation
Brief Outline
Link to the trailer

BEST INTERNATIONAL SONG FEATURED IN A MOTION PICTURE

Basically you may nominate one song from a motion picture. It can even be from a film claimed by another nation because I mean in RL you get people from outside America doing stuff for Disney, what I will say however is if the artists has already been claimed then its off limits and I'll rely on people POLITELY pointing it out. So for example if The Who had done a song for say James Bond as I've claimed The Who no one other than me could use them. I hope that makes sense. Usual rules about posting YouTube applies. Instrumentals are permitted

Name of Artist
Nation Nominating
Song
From the Film
YouTube link

BEST INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY

Essentially it could be anything from a historical documentary to a science talk. If it's factual, cool or interesting then it can be entered. Only two rules 1) No longer than 15 minutes 2) Must not break YouTube terms and conditions.

Name of Documentary
Nation Nominating
Topic Covered
From the Film
YouTube link

BEST ANIMATED SHORT

Can be any type of animation but may not last longer than 5mins.

Name of Animated Short
Nation Nominating
YouTube link

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 09:30:12 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline Holmvik

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Holmvik
Re: Ostlake Movie Awards 2023
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 09:40:24 PM »
Nomination for Best Film

Name of Film:- Dis Two
Genre: Historical Drama
Nation: Holmvik
Brief Outline: The story of how the actions of a disenchanted Air Force pilot triggered a civil war that formed the Republic of Holmvik
Link to the trailer

The film starts in the present day. A group of young school children, around 8 years of age, are walking through a museum. Old Norse style artefacts line the corridor they walk through as a teacher reminds them to keep with their partner and to not touch anything. They gather in a large circular gallery and stand around a twisted hunk of grey metal and begin sketching. The only other person in the gallery is a woman, her face not visible but wearing a black hoody pulled up with just a whisp of red hair poking out. The camera goes behind her and shows the children cheerily drawing the twisted metal. From this angle its clear this is a tail fin and a large white number 2 is all that is clearly visible. A young school girl skips over, her sketch pad in her hand. "Excuse me lady" the girl says holding her picture up. "Do you like my picture."

The camera zooms in slowly towards the wreckage and slowly the tail fin morphs into one of a Fighter Jet sat on a runway. A pair of pilots dressed for a sortie make their way towards it, one male and one female. The female has strands of red hair sticking from beneath her pilots helmet. They are casually chatting as they approach. The date "17th July 2000" appears along the bottom of the screen. The pilots strap in, the girl boarding the fighter with a large white "2" on its tail, the other. They take off into a beautiful morning sunrise.

The camera switches to a cityscape. It is Klimpfjäll, the capital of the Kingdom of Holmvik. Two men walk along carrying placards protesting land reforms by the King. They seem nervous and talk about various government attrocities against protestors including the murder of 10 year old Jorunn Kristoffersen just a few days earlier. The group soon find themselves pinned in by security forces and it is clear tension begins to raise. Meanwhile attack helicopters buzz between the city skyscrapers.

The action switches back to the two fighter planes. They fly over the city with radio messages switching back and forth between the ground and the pilots, their told to stay flying over the city. The red haired female pilot is the clear focus of the camera and she begins to look more and more visibly upset by what she's hearing about the people on the ground. News comes in of the soldiers on the ground opening fire on the crowd and the scenes switch between the crowd being gunned down, attack helicopters firing machine guns and back to the pilot all with sombre music playing. Over the radio a message calls for "Dis One and Two" to attack the crowd. Immediatly Dis One confirms and begins to move while Dis Two hesitates. Several times Dis One asks his wing-woman Dis Two to follow him, a tear runs down the female pilots face before a more steely expression takes over. A flick of a switch she guns the trigger of her control column and a burst of gunfire takes out Dis One. For several minutes we watch as the camera switches back and forth between Dis Two attacking the helicopters, dogfighting with two other fighters and the reaction of the crowd on the ground who have begun fighting back against the security forces.

Suddenly the sound stops as we watch a missile eyed view streak from one fighter towards Dis Two. There is an explosion and suddenly alarms. A WHOOSH indicates an ejector seat going off and we watch as Dis Two floats down to the ground. She is rescued by a group of protestors who have now acquired weapons and the group fight their way to safety with the camera lingering Klimpfjäll University signs. Various scenes take place that show us a desperate siege takes place with the zenith being a new flag being raised and a radio speech (featuring the actual words of Sigmund Haugen, the first President of the Republic of  Holmvik) by one of the rebels. On the 10th day the University was captured and 189 members of the rebellion captured and executed by firing squad. A group lead by Dis Two manage to escape and are seen weeping as they watch. This execution see's a large number of serving army officers break ranks with the King and several scenes of battles. The camera pans out of one showing a bullet riddled city and leads to the steps of the Palace where the date 2nd August 2000 is seen. The flame haired pilot and rebel leader from the radio are seen walking up the steps looking battle weary and tattered. The two of them lower the old flag of the Kingdom and raise the new blue and white Reindeer flag of the Republic. In between scenes of celebration King  Sven XII is seen in a low flying helicopter heading towards the ocean.

The camera begins to fade back to the girls sketch. "I love it" the woman in the black hoody with red hair says as she handed the pad back to the young girl. She pushes the hood back from her head revealing she is Dis Two. She smiles at the children who are now handing their pads to their teacher who is praising what they have done. The camera follows Dis Two as she walks along the corridor that the children had entered by. As she walks several people enjoying the museum see her and recognising her turn and watch, a few pointing and whispering. She reaches the entrance to the museum, puts her hood up, tucks all of her red hair into the hoody's folds, turns and takes one last look at the twisted wreckage of her former aircraft, smiles and ventures out into the street the camera watching her as she disappears and blends into the crowd.

As the screen fades to and the words "This film is a tribute to those who died so the Republic could live." A few seconds later 189 names begin to scroll up the screen before finally the screen goes black.

Offline Sorrel

• Microstate
  • Idk man I’m just a bird
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Deterria
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 03:54:43 PM »
BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM

Name of Film: Jurassic World
Genre: Science Fiction
Nation: Preoria
Brief Outline: "A theme park showcasing genetically-engineered dinosaurs turns into a nightmare for its tourists when one of the dinosaurs escapes its enclosure. An ex-military animal expert steps up to save the day"
Link to the trailer: Link

Name of Film: A Quiet Place
Genre: Horror
Nation: Preoria
Brief Outline: "A family struggles for survival in a world where most humans have been killed by blind but noise-sensitive creatures. They are forced to communicate in sign language to keep the creatures at bay."

BEST INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM

Name of Film: Man Getting Hit by Football
Genre: Comedy
Nation: Preore
Brief Outline: "An unfortunate event"
Link to the trailer: This is the entire feature

Offline Dal

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Dál Riata
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 08:10:50 PM »
Best Film
Name of Film: Highlander
Genre: Action
Nation: Eigg
Brief Outline: A rich antiques dealer turns out to be an immortal Eiggite part of a unique race of humans who are immortal. Their immortality though comes at a price as they are destined to battle throughout time until only one of them exists.
Link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omOZyLmNMJs

Best Song from a Motion Picture
Name of Artist: Queen
Nation Nominating: Eigg
Song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYOE_b4aYD0 - Who Wants to Live Forever
From the Film:- Highlander
YouTube link

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2023, 09:31:56 PM »
Name of Film: Best Guy: Odyssey
Genre: Action
Nation: Daito
Brief Outline: After more than thirty years of service, military awards, medals and decorations for extraordinary heroism in combat, Capt. Hakaru "Thunder" Mori finds himself where he believes he belongs: as a test pilot, pushing the limits of aviation. However, despite it all, he must now confront the past and an uncertain future as he is tasked with training the next generation of elite fighter pilots for a nearly impossible suicide mission.
Link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqVVswa420

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ni
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 10:21:57 PM »
est Film
Brief Outline: It's the second of January, 1999. Eleven women found suffocated to death in a shipping crate bound for Abydos, chests covered in ritualistic tattoos. Blinded, hands partially turned to living, growing tree branches. Operation Group November, from the top secret organisation "Red Morning" is dispatched to investigate. They uncover a global conspiracy concerning soldiers who should be dead, statues made of emeralds and a mysterious plateau known as "Leng".
Directed by Jin Yuzhang
Rated as suitable for 18 year olds and over by the Government Board for Advisory Media Consumption
Jin Shirong stars as Special Investigation Unit Agent Su Qiu, aka Agent Nixon
Xu Huiqing stars as Hostage Response Operator Jia Zongying, aka Agent Nightingale
Tao Gang stars as Professor of Botany Duàn Aiguo, aka Agent North
Liao Ping stars as Commonwealth Foriegn Intelliigence Analysis Dai Chun, aka Agent Name

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 02:55:15 PM »
Name of Film: The Rampant
Genre: Horror
Nation: Djabidjan
Brief Outline: 18th century, during the Jungsam Daejangunate. Chang, a Seojoson noble, returns from the Ardian Empire capital, where he travelled to receive training and approval to become the new Daejang, ruler of the Jungsam Daejangunate, replacing his uncle. As he returns, he will realize that, not only a conspiracy by nobles led by the Minister of War aims to oppose him by any means, but a strange plague is affecting the area, which turns people into dangerous creatures.
Link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJi3nYrXtv8

Name of Film: Queen of the Mountains
Genre: Historical
Nation: Mktvartvelo
Brief Outline: The film tells the history of Kurmajan Erjurak, the daughter of a Kychma feudal lord. When she is only a child, she is brought to a fortune teller who foretells that she will one day give great hope to her people, who lived under the political control of the Abydos state at the time. As war between Abydos and a coalition of the Kingdom of Sashuavelo arrives to their lands, she will lead her people in a struggle for the survival and future of their people.
Link to the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIjhRQUsj_8

« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 08:20:28 PM by paralipomena »

Offline Altona

• Roleplay Manager
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Altona
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 07:59:43 PM »
Best Short Film

Name of Film- Lie Detector
Genre- Comedy
Nation- Altona
Brief Outline - Man goes for a job interview with a lie detector test
Link to the trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjVVNuraly8

Best Documentary

Name of Documentary - How we became right handed
Nation Nominating - Altona
Topic Covered - Anthropology and Science
YouTube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb11oOHYNXM

Best Song
Name of Artist - Cavetown
Nation NominatingA - Altona
Song - Devil Town
From the Film - Megan
YouTube link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvaxYUfGHnk

Best Animated Short

Name of Animated Short - Save Ralph
Nation Nominating - Altona
YouTube link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G393z8s8nFY

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 09:56:38 PM »
Best International Film

Name of Film: Abominable
Genre: Animation
Nation: Achkaerin
Brief Outline: Abominable is a 2019 computer-animated adventure film, it follows a teenage girl named Yi, who encounters a young Yeti on the roof of her apartment building in Gowu, names him Everest and embarks on an epic quest to reunite the magical creature with his family at the highest point on Mundus along with her mischievous friends Jin and Peng, but the trio of friends will have to stay one-step ahead of Burnish, a wealthy man intent on capturing a Yeti, and zoologist Dr. Zara to help Everest get home.

Name of Film: Six Days
Genre: Action/Historical
Brief Outline: 6 Days is a 2017 action thriller film, it is based on the 1980 Allied States of Ardia embassy siege in London. The siege situation is presented from three perspectives: that of negotiator Martin Goodwin, ASF leader Neil Portman and ABC news reporter Emma Branning.
Link to the trailer: link

Best International Short Film

Name of Film: Lego Bank Robbery
Brief Outline: In this Lego Bank Robbery Heist stop motion animation resourceful crooks will do incredible things to rob the bank. They will crawl in the city sewers, they will bomb the police station in error and will use a garbage truck to finish their dirty business. The Lego City Police on the other hand will engage in a high speed chase / pursuit to catch the crooks, but will be surprised by the crooks who will do their best to avoid arrest. This film was made by the students of Forest Road High School, Valkyria and won the National Achkaerin High School Award for Film Animation.

Name of Film: Dark Nebula
Genre: Science Fiction
Brief Outline: In a remote star system a scientific orbital space station has gone dark after their biological research in alien genetics fails. Due the lack of responsibility from the A.S.R. Corporation, and an attempt to cover up the whole operation, Dr. Sarah Louise goes rogue and investigates what happened to her crew while trying to recover any information that could expose the responsible.

Name of Film: The Box
Brief Outline: An old man ends up taming the mouse he wanted to get rid of.
Link to the trailer:  Link

BEST INTERNATIONAL SONG FEATURED IN A MOTION PICTURE

Name of Artist: Rupert Gregson-Williams
Nation Nominating: Achkaerin
Song: The Leshan Buddha
From the Film: Abominable
YouTube link: Link

BEST INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY

Name of Documentary: The Discoveries of the Oracle Space Telescope
Nation Nominating: Achkaerin
Topic Covered: Space
YouTube link: Link