Author Topic: A Palace of Music  (Read 16262 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
A Palace of Music
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
A Palace of Music

Take one widowed Emperor of Achkaerin and mix him with one musical theatre star turned actress and what do you get? Some would say 'Penee' others 'Renter'. This is the story of the Emperor of Achkaerin Peter Azurewind and the new woman in his life Renee Sandiego, they live together they go to international events together they examine problems together, they've even got to the point where Renee is teaching musical theatre and drama lessons inside the Marble Palace, but are they really 'together?' well there's only one way to find out.

Archive Thread

Table of Contents

A Regular Morning
Harmony
The Last Daughter
The New Car
The Most Wonderful Time of Year
Snowflakes, Songs and Something More
Off On An Adventure
Final Acceptance
Before A Storm
The Sticky Wicket
Renee's First Meeting
Game On
Visiting Hours
All Journey's Begin With A Single Step
The Vow
Rolling the Dice
New Year, New Resolution
Reality Check
Dinner with Daničle
Opportunity
The Red Snowflake
Holiday Planning
Another Day Another Crisis Another Flag
The Interview
The Coming Dawn
In Memoriam
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 08:06:54 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: A Palace of Music
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:15:28 AM »
A Regular Morning

It was just another regular morning in the Marble Palace, everyone up and about early with Peter typically being one of the last to get up, not that he was lazy or anything it just seemed that he hadn't inherited the early bird gene that the rest of the family had. He got up, checked the calendar on his phone and after seeing that he didn't have any official engagements that day he dressed accordingly in this case throwing on a pair of jeans a t-shirt and a jumper. He walked down the staircase and found his daughter Serenity and a member of the household, the royal mechanic, Vicky Atkinson stood at the foot of the stairs deep in conversation, both seemingly keen about whatever they were discussing.

"What the heck's got you two so hyped that you've forgotten to have breakfast?" Peter asked
"We've already had breakfast Dad." Serenity said
"That doesn't answer my question." Peter said
"Serenity's pitching me her dream car." Vicky said
"Young lady of many talents are you?" Peter asked
"We'll see Peter." Vicky said
"Now aren't you glad I told you to use the old stables as your workshop?" Peter asked remembering when he'd hired Vicky, she'd been resistant to that idea wanting to stick to the garage.
"Yes." Vicky said, Peter chuckled as he walked away heading for his own breakfast but then what did he expect when a petrol head and gadget girl were stuck together? Though he suspected the Royal Counsel would be getting involved at some point especially if whatever the two girls conjured up was meant to be driven on the roads as opposed to the track.

Peter hadn't gotten much further before he came across his fiance Renee, she was busy finishing some toast and reading what appeared to be a script.
"Trust?" Peter asked reading the title of whatever it was.
"Film script came with the post." Renee said "Dean sent it with this email." Dean being her agent, she handed Peter the email.
"Surely it's a bit soon for this." Peter said as he read it
"Apparently not." Renee said "Personally I think the producer's gunning for the odd Ozzie."
"Hang on they want you to play her?" Peter asked
"Potentially the most challenging role I've ever had." Renee said "What do you think?"
"Do it." Peter said "It's a film if it causes a diplomatic row let it, it's just a film. And we've got bigger fish to fry than that."
"Thanks." Renee said she kissed him on the cheek "Now I've got a class in ten minutes."
"I think I heard the University Bus pulling up a minute ago." Peter said
"I still can't believe you let me do this." Renee said

If Peter was honest at times he found it amazing himself the idea that the Marble Palace was used as a teaching space for Renee's classes at the Royal University of Music where she taught musical theatre and drama was simply staggering, but it worked great. He continued on his way to the family kitchen and found his chief of staff Kumiko Arkwright and the junior Royal Counsel Eve Acheson sat finishing their breakfasts while at the other end of the table his foreign affairs adviser Nettie Taylor and Royal Press Secretary Hannah Cartwright sat side by side working on something which Peter guessed was the Foreign Affairs and Defence Policy Review, something that had become Nettie's first major project in Peter's employ. Also present was Peter's sister Esme

"Hit me Kumiko what do we have today?" Peter asked as he made himself some toast and sorted out an orange juice
"Not an awful lot." Kumiko said "Silver Fox Fort want confirmation of the planned exercises in the Great Northern Ocean."
"Those the ones where Vaguzia are going to get a surprise or two?" Peter asked
"Well if the new stuff's what Riviere says it is yes." Kumiko said "Though it's the surprise some other nations may be getting I'm interested in."
"How will it play in Pyrena Nettie?" Peter asked
"You'll probably get a phone call asking to sell them some." Nettie said
"Maybe we should say that one of them's been stalking one of their precious battleships for a few weeks." Hannah said
"Don't tempt me." Peter said with a wry smile "Ok Kumiko next."

"Michaelmas." Kumiko said "Who are we sending?"
"That'll be you Peter given that you're the one who holds the Christian title." Esme said "And as she's a Christian in the family maybe take Ashleigh along."
"Wait a minute." Nettie said looking at Peter "You hold a Christian title?"
"During the war when the Abydonian Empire tried to invade Vanora our grandfather took a stand and sent troops to defend Vanora, we fought them for years first from the saddle and then in tanks as warfare evolved. The Duke of Vanora was so grateful at the end of the war that he conferred a special title upon our grandfather, and it's been passed down ever since." Esme said
"Then me and Ashleigh it is." Peter said "Though see if the Oracle would care to come along as well."
"Ok." Kumiko said

"Any word on Viktoriya?" Peter asked
"Still in a coma." Kumiko said
"So Besarian's running the place?" Peter asked
"For the moment." Eve said
"And the legal position?" Peter asked
"As long as she's in a coma Viktoriya's still Queen she's just unable to discharge her duties which is where Besarian comes in, but if she dies then the election of a new Queen is held." Eve said
"What do we do if she dies?" Nettie asked
"Well first you send whoever you're appointing as Prefect of Albion in there to express our condolences." Peter said "And then we see what happens but it'd be an absolute waste of a life if she dies."
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 02:03:53 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 05:34:42 PM »
Harmony

Music drifted through the corridors of the Marble Palace it was late morning and the sun was just creeping through the clouded sky, the sound was Nettie sat at the grand piano in the Marble Palace's ballroom, playing away. She finished the piece and was greeted by the sound of applause from the doorway she looked up and saw Serenity stood there.
"I didn't know you played." Serenity said
"You never asked." Nettie said "How long have you been stood there?"
"Long enough." Serenity said, Nettie went red with embarrassment

"Did you want something?" Nettie asked
"It's the review later today." Serenity said "I want you to do it."
"You want me to go up in front of the camera's and talk through Achkaerin foreign and defence policy?" Nettie asked
"Isn't it about time people knew where you work these days?" Serenity asked
"I guess but..." Nettie said
"This reviews your baby you've put the work in, so shouldn't you be the one who gets to deliver it?" Serenity said
"All right." Nettie said

"So tell me." Serenity said, placing the folder of the review materials on the top of the piano and then taking a seat on the piano stool next to Nettie and smiling "Do you know this one?" she started playing and after a chuckle Nettie joined in the duet.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »
(borrowing a historic character for a cameo and intro story)

The Last Daughter

It was a reasonably good morning in Gowu, the birds were singing, the leaves were falling from the tree's as autumn turned towards winter, for Peter it was a rather special visit, he'd come down to Gowu for the sword ceremony of his goddaughter's girlfriend, it was something he'd never witnessed but that was beside the point it was important to the two girls and that was what mattered. Peter also had another reason for coming down to Gowu it was to visit someone. He parked up and walked the short distance to the ground floor flat that was his destination. He rang the bell and waited for around half a minute before it opened.

"What are you doing here?" the girl who'd opened the door asked
"Nice to see you to Daničle." Peter said the girl was Daničle Aveline the heir to the Duchy of Aquitaine, the last of her family and now an eighteen year old girl, she was a girl Peter viewed very much as if she were one of his daughters "Can I come in?"
"Sure." Daničle said, she opened the door fully and let Peter in "Drink?"
"Cup of tea I think." Peter said
"You always say that." Daničle said closing the door behind them.

Daničle's flat was a small modest thing - a bedroom, kitchen/lounge area and a bathroom. She went to the kitchen area and started the kettle off making Peter's tea.
"How's the studying?" Peter asked
"It's going well." Daničle said, though the disorganized state of the living area as evidenced by the mountain of opened textbooks spoke differently about that, she was studying Aeronautical Engineering at the Achkaerin Open University, this was an online university which brought education out to the people in a much more accessible way, Peter also noted that on the basis of a pause screen on her computer that he had actually interrupted Daničle's studying that morning.

"I thought you should know." Peter said "The Cartier report comes back tomorrow."
"That's taken year and a half hasn't it?" Daničle asked she handed Peter his cup of tea.
"Thanks." Peter said "Pretty much." this was about a CTO Resolution that was about investigating the conduct of General Sebastian Cartier during the Marseilles conflict.
"Any hint of which way it'll go?" Daničle asked now sipping a drink of lemonade
"None." Peter said "One of the things you'll have to get used to is keeping out of due legal processes."

Daničle stifled a giggle with a glance at Peter, the pair were leaning against the kitchen units
"When you walked through that door two years ago and told me who I really was, I never imagined we'd get to a moment like this." she said "I thought I'd spend my life living in exile I never thought I'd have to think about stuff like this. And then Cartier..."
"Went and declared Aquitaine by military force." Peter said "Triggering a chain of events that got its independence recognized. Take my advice?"
"Always have" Daničle said
"If he's acquitted tomorrow offer him his job back." Peter said "You're going to need people like him."
"And if the report recommends prosecution?" Daničle asked
"Visit him." Peter said "He's the man who orchestrated saving your life eighteen years ago. You owe him that much."
"I do don't I." Daničle said
"And if I may make one other suggestion." Peter said
"Go on." Daničle said
"Our ambassador to Lodja, you know Emalet Silvermist has told me there's a ball there tonight, George is going - he was planning on taking Amelia but the CMA may be getting busy and Achkaerin hasn't left the CTO yet..." Peter said
"You want me to go?" Daničle asked
"It would be good for you to get to know Aquitaine's neighbors, it's Lodja, it's a party and you can get used to being who you are." Peter said
"Which dress do you think?" Daničle asked
"How about the red and gold one Amelia made you for your birthday?" Peter asked
"Next you'll be telling me you arranged the flight." Daničle said
"Actually I did." Peter said "So get packed."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 12:26:25 AM »
The New Car

This was something that Serenity had always known was going to have to happen but she'd not thought it would happen so soon, however with Lisa back in her life and family it was now official, the petrolhead Crown Princess of Achkaerin was now in the market for a standard school run car, especially since there was every reason to believe she'd be transporting her nieces as well as Lisa. So here Serenity was with Lisa and the Royal Mechanic Vicky Atkinson parking up outside a car dealership in one of Serenity's cars.

"You realize you and that Premier Musashi have caused a bit of a social media storm?" Vicky asked as the three of them got out of the car.
"Really I hadn't noticed." Serenity said
"Like you don't check your twitter feed." Vicky said "You have seen all the bragging going on about FOURWHEEL?"
"I prefer to let my cars do the talking." Serenity said "Though I'm glad to have sparked some interest."
"Says the person who used to sneak out of the Palace and go racing." Vicky said
"Who told you about that?" Serenity asked
"Your Dad." Vicky said

"Good afternoon." the car dealer said when the three of them walked in, he was looking at some paperwork then he glanced up and saw who it was and after a moment of shock corrected himself "Your Highness. What can I do for you?"
"I'm looking for a family car." Serenity said
"We have many options there." the dealer said "Right this way."

Over the next hour the dealer, no doubt anxious about the identity of his customer showed Serenity numerous possibilities, but it was when they came to the Juke that things got interesting.
"I like this one." Lisa said as the three of them looked around it
"So do I." Serenity said she half smiled
"Pretty decent car this." Vicky said, she was reading the spec sheet "A real hot hatch." Serenity's phone buzzed so she walked away a bit to see what it was, a twitter alert she brought up the tweet and sighed
"Vicky." Serenity said
"Yeah?" Vicky asked as Serenity went back over she saw the look in Serenity's eyes "I know that look."
"How much quicker do you think we can get this thing?" Serenity asked she showed Vicky the tweet on her phone.
"Why?" Vicky asked she looked quizzical for a moment then "No...you can't be serious."
"I could turn up with practically anything I've got and beat a Bugatti over a quarter mile." Serenity said "But most gearheads and petrolheads know this because they know the fundamental flaw of the Bugatti, it's too heavy and its four wheel drives bogs the car down off the line. Added to which over a quarter mile the Bugatti will never reach the point of a speed advantage. So am I crazy?"
"Quite possibly." Vicky said "But I'd love to see this. Buy it."
"We'll take it." Serenity said turning to the dealer.

About an hour later they had the Juke in what was termed Serenity's garage up at the Marble Palace, basically it was the old stables.
"What are you doing?" Lisa asked
"We're going to make this car better." Serenity said "Do you want to help?"
"Yeah." Lisa said
"Thoughts?" Vicky asked
"Supercharge the engine for more power, lighten it, change the tires." Serenity said "Maybe respray it."
"You know we did start out today looking to buy a school run car." Vicky said
"It'll still be a school run car." Serenity said "Just one with a bit of a reputation."
"It'll need a name." Vicky said
"Julie Juke." Lisa said
"That'll do." Serenity said "Just don't tell the Ironsides I've named a car."
"My lips are sealed." Vicky said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
The Most Wonderful Time of Year

Peter, walked up the stairs of the Marble Palace from the lower level, he'd just been getting his quarterly check up on his arm from the resident doctor, he came up into the hallway just as Sakura Sheppard, his niece walked in
"Well if it isn't the woman of the hour." Peter said cracking a smile as he hugged her "Nice work with getting that Peacekeeping Force."
"Still only means we won the first round." Sakura said "Getting them to agree to an international presence was child's play compared to the more complex issues that come next- the future relationship, which is clouded by these elections, then there's Khalin which is their equivalent of Jerusalem..."
"Do you want to borrow Nettie?" Peter asked as they walked into the living area
"I may have to." Sakura said "Nice one on getting her working here. How's she getting on?"
"She's still in discovery mode." Peter said "Though I think she's coming to appreciate the differences between our way of working and Pyrena's."
"That's good." Sakura said

The pair soon came across Serenity and Simon
"This about the Snowflake Concert?" Peter asked, it was a new Christmas thing in Achkaerin starting that year, the Royal Family would put on a concert, for the less fortunate at Christmas.
"Yes." Simon said "Everyone from our end's on board and the homes and shelters have sent the information through, Kumiko and Kurt are organizing that part."
"Rehearsals?" Peter asked
"Going slow for the next couple of days until Renee gets back from going over that new film she's in." Serenity said "In short we've got the solo's and some of the group stuff down but the rest we haven't, plus she's got to choreograph it."
"I see." Peter said "I need to speak to Anezaki about the food for Christmas so I'll be back in a few minutes."

Peter left the room heading for the kitchens, meanwhile Simon, Serenity and Sakura looked at each other.
"I can't remember the last time we did anything quite like this." Simon said "And Dad's throwing everything he's got at it."
"Have we got him a Christmas present yet?" Serenity asked
"No." Simon said
"Then why don't we kill two birds with one stone?" Serenity asked, Sakura and Simon were puzzled for a few moments and then Sakura's eyes widened in understanding
"You don't mean..." Sakura said
"I mean." Serenity said "Everyone will be there. It's the only opportunity."
"Otherwise we're talking months." Simon said
"We'll have to play with the set list but I think it's possible." Serenity said
"I'll make the call." Simon said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:14:50 PM »
Snowflakes, Songs and Something More

Christmas Eve, and the Royal Theatre had never looked quite like this, for the period of Christmas Eve through to Boxing Day the place had been transformed into a mission for the homeless of the Capital, there was a determination at the highest level that anyone who wanted to have a Christmas meal would have one. For Christmas Eve though there was the Snowflake Concert to deal with, a fundraising venture for the homeless and needy as well as an evening of entertainment for people put on by the Royal Family and everyone was participating. Backstage there were rapid last minute rehearsals going on, there were costume change logistics being worked out and secret surprises being kept as well. It was almost show time, just a few more moments and they'd be under the lights and the show would be on. Peter was taking a few deep breaths, he had the lead part for the opening number, he glanced over his shoulders and then left and right at the rest of his family each of them nodded, they were ready.

The curtain came up then the lights, the full house audience cheered, then the music started they'd opted to open with Somebody to Love, it was a nice easy starter for this sort of evening, could be sung as a group and was a crowd pleaser. When the song finished Peter took a step forwards
"Good Evening Valtheim." Peter said "It's a great night, cold perhaps but it'll be a great night, welcome to the first ever Snowflake Concert tonight we start a charity drive to help the homeless and the most needy in society because no one should have to live in poverty, no one should be left with no choices like this. So tonight the number on the screen behind me goes live for donations to this cause." he glanced at the broadcast camera's having the television companies there was helpful "So let's keep things going." The Royals cleared the stage leaving just Peter's nephew Jack Azurewind, now of anyone with the surname Azurewind he was probably the most comfortable in this sort of situation, he took a moment and then performed the first solo of the evening's entertainment Angels, when he'd finished he smiled waiting for the applause to abate
"Ladies and Gentlemen boys and girls it is a pleasure to introduce our Les Miserables Medley." he said

Jack stepped aside heading backstage as the trio of Serenity, Simon and Simon's wife Lydia took to the stage, the orchestra struck up, they weren't doing anything clever they were reprising their version of In My Life/A Heart Full of Love they'd performed this two years earlier and were in the same roles, Simon as Marius, Lydia as Cosette and Serenity as Eponine if there was one sequence of songs that was going to go right on the night it was going to be this one because they knew it well, this knowledge had been why they'd put this sequence up first once they'd finished there was no break as the music shifted and the spotlight shone on Lisa, Serenity's eldest as she took over with Castle On A Cloud, she was likely the most nervous of them all but she'd wanted to be part of it, when the spotlight went off her Serenity made her way over and placed her hands on her daughter's shoulders she'd done well. Now though out walked Carth Vittori
 he was in a different role from when this had been the charity gig, he was doing the character of Javert's big solo Stars a song he'd had to learn quickly, he knew it though and di it well.
 Next Renee Sandiego, Peter's fiancee, walked onto the stage the light on her this was the role she knew best, the role that had made her famous in musical theatre, the role was Fantine so naturally her contribution to the Medley was I Dreamed a Dream, then came the easiest transition of the Medley as the tune was virtually identical they just played right on as the spotlight came up on Serenity who went right into On My Own, it was weird singing this with Lisa directly in front of her but weirder was to come as she finished singing Lisa and Simon traded spots, Lisa went to Lydia while Simon came and stood behind Serenity, this had been the difficult number back when they'd done the Les Mis charity production purely because of how weird the song felt to them and here they were doing it again - A Little Fall of Rain, the end of that song meant that the sequence was almost complete there was just one last part to come as Peter returned to the stage reprising his Valjean role with the big finishing solo of Bring Him Home. When he'd finished the lights went down and the applause echoed through the theatre, on the stage they were all looking at each other that had gone well.

"Thank you, thank you." Peter said "I'd forgotten what doing that was like, for our next act allow me to introduce someone I'm really glad to have back in my life my sister Esme."

Everyone who'd been on stage for the Les Mis Medley departed the stage as Esme walked out onto the stage.
"Wow." she said upon reaching centre stage "I didn't expect it to be quite like this, mind you I didn't think I'd be here tonight, but here I am so I hope you enjoy this." she had a simple enough task she had a small set list of three songs the thinking was to give everyone time to recover from the hard work of the Medley this was why they'd grouped themselves into waves as it were, the music started her first song was Skyfall, her second song was Set Fire to the Rain, however her third was probably the one that meant the most to her being a former boxer and all that not to mention being the prodigal Princess her third choice was Fight Song, she smiled her way through this one and took the applause.

Backstage Simon stood side by side with Serenity
"She's here." Simon said
"Good." Serenity said "Does Dad suspect?"
"I don't think so." Simon said "Nor Renee."
"Well they're going to get the surprise of their lives." Serenity said

Out on the stage Carth and Jack were back performing a duet version of He Lives In You, then the pair were joined by Jack's sister Cerys for a rendition of Can You Feel the Love Tonight, in which Carth provided provided the support to the main roles of the siblings. But brother and sister weren't quite done yet, Carth left the stage following that song and the pair went right into a performance of Sun and Moon & Last Night of the World, in the wings Esme was looking on with pride as from the opposite wing was Peter. When the end of that song came, Jack gave his sister an encouraging nod, there was one number of the section left, Cerys moved to centre stage and after taking a deep breath started to sing Don't Cry for Me Rokkenjima.

"She's good." Renee said as she stood next to Peter in the wings "I just recorded that for that film I'm in."
"How fitting." Peter said
"I'll tell you one thing." Renee said "We're certainly doing more of these concerts."
"Agreed." Peter said

Cerys took her bow and applause and left the stage she was replaced by Becky Leighton and Peter's niece Sakura Sheppard
"Ok what have you dragged me into Sakura?" Becky asked
"Thought you volunteered for this." Sakura said
"Fair point." Becky said, sending a ripple of laughter through the audience "So can I go first?"
"Please." Sakura said

Becky half smiled, a calculated bit of fun prior to starting their bit of the evening to break the ice and settle in, they only had three songs to get through and it was hopefully going to be worth it, so first up Becky sang Don't Rain On My Parade, then it was the pair of them in a duet of Defying Gravity, Sakura as Glinda and Becky as Elphaba, something that they'd decided with the toss of a coin, and then staying with their roles they went into their version of For Good.

Now they cleared the stage as Renee came back on this was hers and Peter's section of the show and she was starting off with I Need a Hero, it was one of her favorites and it did what she and Peter wanted to do, she was starting a conversation with that song then Peter answered with Go the Distance, then Renee went for Writing's on the Wall followed by Peter choosing Music of the Night, they'd spent all their songs dancing around each other to the point where they were inches apart when Peter finished now it was time for their big duet of the night from West Side Story Tonight. They'd sang a fair few duets over the course of their relationship little did they know what they were letting themselves in for that evening. When they'd finished singing Sakura and Becky returned to the stage it was time to start the run in to the evening's shock or as Sakura thought of it Christmas Present, it was their job to get the ball rolling and that was exactly what they intended to do, their song this time was All That Jazz.

While Serenity sang, behind her the male members of the family were assembling Peter towards the front there was another big song coming, not to mention a costume change for Renee but first things first the men led by Peter treated the audience to a version of Who Wants To Live Forever, but there was no resting on their laurels as almost immediately following this, after some audience interaction, they along with the rest of the family went straight into Get Me to the Church On Time, Peter had thought this an odd choice for the night but then he had turned the set list over to Simon and Serenity so he'd been expecting odd and quirky, and his tap dancing wasn't that good, it was passable but not brilliant, still he soldiered on and when the song finished he was face to face with Renee who was now wearing a simple white dress, there was nothing surprising in that but the fact that standing on his left and her right was High Priestess Alexis Minette was the surprise, she'd been sneaked onto the stage towards the end of the song. Then the stage cleared so that it was just Peter, Renee and Alexis with Simon stood next to Peter and Esme stood next to Renee, also remaining on the stage were Serenity and Cerys who were stood on opposite sides of the other five, the started to circle the group of five as the orchestra struck up again it was time for a Serenity and Cerys duet their choice Sevendays Love, Sevendays Friend

When the song that Serenity and Cerys got to its instrumental section Alexis glanced at first Peter and then Renee, she was miked up so that the audience would be aware of what was happening
"I'll keep to the shortened version." Alexis said "Your Imperial Majesty Peter Azurewind are you lawfully free to marry?"
"I am." Peter said while mentally noting that his children were going to be in a world of trouble for this.
"Renee Sandiego are you free to lawfully marry?" Alexis asked
"I am." Renee said, at this point Simon produced the wedding rings handing them to Alexis
"Do you Peter take Renee to be your lawfully wedded wife, to love and cherish, in sickness and health through good times and bad for as long as you both shall live?" Alexis asked, Peter looked at Renee and smiled
"I do." he said, he placed the wedding ring on Renee's finger.
"Do you Renee take Peter to be your lawfully wedded husband, to love and cherish, in sickness and health through good times and bad for as long as you both shall live?" Alexis asked, Renee looked at Peter almost disbelieving that this was happening
"I do." Renee said, she place a wedding ring on Peter's finger
"Then I pronounce you husband and wife. Congratulatations" Alexis said "You may kiss the bride."

Serenity and Cerys might have just hit the second vocal part of the song but that wasn't about to stop Peter and Renee, they kissed passionately, the audience cheered wildly and then there were hugs from Simon and Esme, then the song finished which meant Serenity and Cerys gave their hugs
"You set us up." Peter said when Serenity hugged him
"Of course we did." Serenity said "You two were dragging your feet over this."
"You two are so grounded." Peter said
"Been five years since you last threw that one at me." Serenity said "Worth it for this."
"I bet." Peter said

The stage cleared except for the newly weds and Serenity, with this being a wedding it was only fitting that the newly weds got their first dance and Serenity had chosen the music for it, it was a song that had come to mean something to Peter and Renee - I'll Burn With You, so Serenity sang it from one side of the stage while Peter and Renee, both grinning like cats that had got the cream danced centre stage neither taking their eyes of the other.

When that song was done Peter and Renee were ushered off the stage, there was now the small matter of the marriage register to sign while they were doing that Simon, Carth and Jack joined Serenity on stage.
"Shall we?" Jack asked
"I think so." Carth said
"Ladies and Gentlemen we're almost done this evening but not quite yet so our next song is one of our favorites" Simon said, he had the lead on this one "Bohemian Rhapsody" this was yet another crowd pleaser, specifically chosen because it was such a popular song. In the wings everyone was getting ready it was very nearly time for the big finish. Once they'd finished Bohemian Rhapsody, a cheer came from the wings as everyone went made their way back onto the stage. The number this time was My Life Would Suck Without You, they were cutting loose now and really enjoying themselves, the audience were into it, Lydia led this song as Peter and Renee returned to the stage getting smiles, hugs and pats on the back from everyone. Then when they'd finished that song Peter took centre stage.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls it's been a wonderful...and eventful evening, more than I thought it would be." Peter said with half a chuckle "We  come now to our final song of the evening, thank you for coming and please donate to this cause we're supporting tonight. Have a very Merry Christmas. Our final song of the evening is Footloose"

This was Peter leading what was a fast paced, dance heavy song, it had the most intricate choreography of the night to boot as well. When it finished with the appropriate pyrotechnic finale, everyone on the stage was sweating, they took their bows and their ovation and then headed backstage.
"So Mrs Azurewind." Renee said
"More than that Renee." Serenity said "That's Renee Azurewind, Duchess of Rosemoor."
"I'd forgotten about that." Renee said
"By the way you three." Peter said looking at Serenity, Simon and Sakura "Next time you're going to pull something like that...warn us."
"And miss the look on your faces?" Simon said "You must be joking."
"Priceless absolutely priceless." Sakura said
"Perfect Christmas Present reaction." Serenity said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 09:05:20 PM »
Off On An Adventure

Another day at the Marble Palace and the same old routine near enough, which was always welcome as it meant that nothing new had come up that demanded attention. So as normal here was the Emperor Peter Azurewind sat in his study with his Foreign Affairs Advisor Nettie Taylor, Chief of Staff Kumiko Arkwright and Press Secretary Hannah Cartwright, they'd been all around the houses - Kaitaine, Phuebra, the Vaguzia issue and of course Lakhzovia. They did this practically every day.

"Is there anything else?" Peter asked looking at the three women who sat in the study with him, they'd just finished their discussions on Kaitaine.
"Not today." Kumiko said "Unless you want to discuss the upcoming Garden Party."
"I trust you to handle that." Peter said
"You always do that." Kumiko said
"Nettie anything?" Peter asked
"Not really." Nettie said
"Hannah?" Peter asked
"Well there's a group of University of Artaxia students deciding whether or not they can sue some company." Hannah said
"That's a joke right?" Peter asked
"Nope." Hannah said "It's not something we need to address but I thought you'd find it amusing."
"How are students even going to fund a lawsuit?" Kumiko asked
"No clue but it should be entertaining." Hannah said
"Ok that's it for today then." Peter said

Once the three women had stepped out of the study, Peter waited a few minutes before following, he went into the open plan kitchen diner and found Serenity eating her breakfast which was simple toast.
"Morning." Peter said
"Hi." Serenity said
"What's the letter?" Peter asked noticing an open letter on the counter top next to where Serenity was leaning
"My transfer orders." Serenity said "Took them long enough, you know I transferred out of sea duty for family reasons well I've got a spot at JAG."
"So that's you over in Avalon." Peter said
"Seems like it." Serenity said "Got to get Lisa into a primary school over there and Astrid a nursery spot. I'll have to have Helen along."
"This is the best opportunity to give them a decent childhood away from the public eye. Never happened for you, never happened for me, make it happen for them. Go live at the Avalon Estate." Peter said
"Thanks." Serenity said
"And tell Admiral Rankin hello from me when you start work." Peter said
"I will." Serenity said
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 03:45:09 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 05:27:39 PM »
Final Acceptance

Another great day in Valtheim, the harshest period of the winter was behind them, give it a few more weeks and it would be spring and then the sun would be out and it would get warm. Peter stood looking out of his study window, sat behind him on the sofa in the study was his Chief of Staff Kumiko Arkwright, this was a daily occurrence with Kumiko bringing things to Peter's attention.
"The military are not happy." Kumiko said "They just lost their concealed hand as Sakura would put it."
"I always worry when we start using Mahjong terms and other sporting metaphors to describe military situations." Peter said "As for the military I would have thought people would read the situation and know better than to put Kaitaine on notice."
"True but it seems some will never learn." Kumiko said she adjusted her glasses "What about the Papal visit?"
"The schedule looks fine." Peter said "Is Nettie still working on the negotiation points?"
"She's meeting with the Cabinet now." Kumiko said
"Good." Peter said "She's not been to Crystalline yet has she?"
"No." Kumiko said "She's intrigued."

At that point there was a knock on the door.
"Come in." Peter said, the door opened and in walked his good friend Celine Tyler, she'd been Peter's XO back in his navy captain days and now she was a high school teacher.
"Be thankful I'm not busy this week." Celine said "You asked to see me?"
"Yes, how would you like the job of Defence Advisor?" Peter asked, Celine couldn't even act stunned she half smiled
"Took you long enough to ask, how long have you been working up the courage to ask?" Celine asked
"A couple of months." Peter said
"Yeah right" Celine said "Closer to two and a half years. At least if what Yuki tells me is true."
"I didn't..." Peter said, he'd forgotten about that.
"Yeah you sounded me out to my daughter, but then you are the closest thing she has to a father." Celine said
"So?" Peter asked
"Count me in." Celine said
"Great." Peter said, he hugged Celine "Job number one..."
"I know" Celine said
"I'll get you settled in." Kumiko said "Feels like we've got the old gang back together somehow."
"Certainly does." Celine said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 07:18:00 PM »
Before A Storm

With his Dad in Lodja for the coronation and sister over in Avalon working, the current running of the country from the Marble Palace was in the hands of Prince Simon Azurewind, this was something of a rarity for him given the line of succession but with his little sister now in the midst of her military service the odds were this would become more common.
"Simon" Kumiko Arkwright, the Royal Family Chief of Staff, said coming and sitting across the lounge table from where the Prince sat she had a phone in her hand and was accompanied by the Foreign Affairs Advisor Nettie Taylor
"Who is it?" Simon asked
"Serenity." Kumiko said, Simon looked up he knew what this was going to be about and had wondered when the phone call would come, he nodded and Kumiko switched it to speakerphone and placed it on the table.
"Go ahead sis." Simon said
"Have you seen the Rokkenjiman developments?" the voice of his sister Crown Princess Serenity asked over the phone
"I have." Simon said "I'm assuming it's bad?"
"That would be an understatement." Serenity said "I've just spent the morning going through the papers from the genocide trial, it's all there."
"I see." Simon said "She's due up here isn't she?"
"Knowing her she'll be coming by sea." Serenity said "Kumiko you there?"
"Yes." Kumiko said
"Get on to the Admiralty they'll know what to do under the circumstances." Serenity said "I'll deal with this in Avalon, Nettie you'd better get out here and ask Rion and Mark to join you."
"Will do." Nettie said
"Simon?" Serenity asked
"Yeah?" Simon said
"Who's running Dad's security out in Lodja from our end?" Serenity asked
"Zoe Silvermist." Simon said
"Then you need to send her the R&A for Dad to sign." Serenity said

"Are you sure about that?" Simon asked
"We haven't got a choice." Serenity said "If she's Empress again then we have to do it this way. Send the details."
"Ok." Simon said, he ran a hand through his hair "Serenity are you ok?"
"I gave that woman a chance to tell me the truth and she didn't. How do you think I feel?" Serenity asked
"Like I would." Simon said "Do I assume you don't buy all of this?"
"I don't buy parts of it." Serenity said "That's why I want to talk to Rion and Nettie."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 10:42:59 PM »
The Sticky Wicket

Peter Azurewind, the Emperor of Achkaerin sat at the oaken table in the Marble Palace, sat around him were his own advisors, members of the cabinet and members of the intelligence community, there was only one matter on the agenda and that was what to do in regards to the East Moreland statement over the Chapterhouse school that was located in Achkaerin as well as those located elsewhere.
"You've all seen the statement." Peter said "Now give me some options."
"What's East Moreland's source on this?" Richard Chambers, the Minister of Foreign Affairs asked
"We're not sure." Sally Barkley, the director of Achkaerinese Intelligence answered "But this is an accusation reported in the Kaitaine Pravda and only reported there and Northfort News, so it's possible it's come from Kaitaine."
"Do we believe it?" Peter asked
"We take it with a pinch of salt." Nettie Taylor, the foreign affairs advisor to the Emperor said "As Sally has said it's only been reported in the Kaitaine Pravda and Northfort News, it originated in the Pravda, and without putting too finer point on it, it is in Kaitaine's interests to paint the Truthsayers as an entity that violates the Uppsala Convention because it makes the Truthsayer's look bad, it's also in the Truthsayer's interests to make Kaitaine look bad because both sides realize that if they can garner international support they may be able to tip the balance their way."
"What about the Northfort News article?" Peter asked

"Is it genuine would be the question." Adam Sheppard, the Minister of Defence said "This is footage allegedly from celebrations in Seitch, how do East Moreland even have it? Have they got people in Kaitaine? What's the source on this? Because it's simple repetition of Nettie's point."
"We're not in a position to be certain of whether this evidence is independently verifiable or not." Kumiko Arkwright the Royal Family Chief of Staff said, Peter nodded this was why Achkaerinese contact with the Bene Gesserit had been kept covert, it allowed more room for movement when things got sticky and they couldn't get much stickier than this.
"However" Nettie said "There's no doubt about the evidence against Makin for the murder of Franchesca Owens and his links to the KGB. We might want to remind people that the actions of Kaitaine itself in regards to the state sponsored murder of citizens of other countries is in fact an act of terror."
"Legalities?" Peter asked
"Do you want the good news or the bad news?" his daughter Serenity asked
"Whichever you like." Peter said
"There is an argument under Uppsala to roundly rebutt the East Moreland contention but we dare not make it." Serenity said
"Why?" Peter said
"Because it's a heck of a loophole." Serenity said "And the last thing we want to do is advertise it exists."

"Under law is this enough to close the school?" Peter asked
"No." the minister of education David Ward said "No one can prove to an acceptable standard that any graduate of the Achkaerin chapterhouse has travelled to Kaitaine, and to be honest that's impossible to prove anyway."
"We need to be seen to do something though." Peter said
"Have they replaced Shona Devont yet?" Peter's wife Renee asked
"No." David said
"Emergency Educational Measures Act." Renee said "Imposition of an administrator."
"Explanation please." Peter asked
"Sometimes when a school loses a head it takes a while to replace them." Peter's friend and defence advisor Celine Tyler said, she was a former teacher so she knew the point that was being made "Sometimes if there's a lack of leadership the Department of Education can impose an interim headteacher. We'd have to handle it right but that would be us being seen to do something."
"So investigate the school?" Peter asked
"Yes." Richard said "It's the minimum we have to do."
"Meanwhile I'd better write a response." Peter said
"But let's run everything carefully." Serenity said "East Moreland aren't at threshold yet. But they might get there."
"Suggestions if that happens?" Peter asked
"Hope that we have a stronger hand to play." Serenity said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 06:28:44 PM »
Renee's First Meeting

It was a big day in the Palace, finally after months of bureaucracy, sorting out the relevant security clearances and all the rest of it the Emperor's wife was going to sit in on her first senior staff meeting, something Peter had been keen on happening. Unless there was an absolute emergency all of these meetings took place in the study of Peter Azurewind, who was walking towards the study with his wife Renee.
"Nervous?" Peter asked as they stopped outside the study door
"Petrified." Renee said
"We were all like that the first time." Peter said
"Really?" Renee asked
"Well I'm told so, I personally didn't get to sit in on one of these until I was Emperor, being in the Navy and all." Peter said

Peter opened the door to the study, walked in, his staff standing from where they were sitting, Peter nodded and smiled to them as he walked to his desk and sat down behind it, Renee took a seat on the end of one of the sofa's in the room.
"Good morning everyone." Peter said "I don't think I need to introduce my wife to any of you because we're all family here. She's just received her relevant clearance and she'll be sitting in on these meetings from now. So Kumiko let's have it." he was looking at his Chief of Staff Kumiko Arkwright.
"Where do you want to start Your Majesty?" Kumiko asked
"With whatever takes your fancy." Peter said
"Ok then let's take Rokkenjima as it's the big issue of the moment." Kumiko said she handed Peter a piece of paper from the Rokkenjiman Press as well as, not for the first time a copy of the relevant Imperial Decree and accompanying press release

"You know one of these days we'll have a meeting where Beatrice isn't the first item of business." Peter said as he read through the statements "the open hostility and disrespect East Moreland has shown the First Empire and the Empress directly those bonds upon which the Tripartite was founded upon no longer exist." he raised an eyebrow "Is she serious?"
"Well she's either sent or allowed Adrianna to East Moreland to patch things up." the Royal Press Secretary Hannah Cartwright said
"Hang on Rokkenjima's big play to patch up a self inflicted mess with East Moreland is to send a fourteen year old girl with zero diplomatic experience, who can't even negotiate a formal agreement?" Peter asked
"Apparently." Kumiko said
"Nettie does this make sense to you?" Peter asked, looking at the one person in the room who knew the Rokkenjiman system on an intimate level his foreign affairs advisor Nettie Taylor
"How does your daughter describe Beatrice?" Nettie said "Stubborn to the point of foolishness. Beatrice calls East Moreland out, King David roundly and robustly debunks her statements, we've been here before remember the 'great chasm'? You guys put me down quite effectively."
"So it doesn't make sense?" Peter asked
"Oh it makes sense but this is the sort of thing you expect on a school playground not in international diplomacy especially when you read between the lines." Nettie said
"I agree." Kumiko said
"Yeah." Peter said "She needs a reminder of being a monarch means."
"Can someone explain that?" Renee asked
"Beatrice has withdrawn Rokkenjima from the Tripartite, her main reason for doing so is because she thinks there's been a breakdown in relations between Rokkenjima and East Moreland, which is a falsehood, it's really because she's not on good terms with King David." Peter said "So she's equating international diplomacy to the state of a personal relationship. Which in other words says what?"

There were a few moments of silence until the communications officer Carth Vittori took a deep breath
"It says" Carth said "I am the State."
"Bingo." Peter said "And no monarch is the state they are servants of the state. Anything related?"
"Your Majesty." the national security advisor Mark Sharpe said "May I have a moment to go over the intelligence implications?"
"Go ahead Mark." Peter said
"In the news article it says Anauša would be working with LISA and allied partners in "eradicating any lingering subversive elements whose loyalties lay not with the Rokkenjima People, but the Great Traitor." now yesterday I sat in an intelligence meeting with Rion Ayanami, the MDI and other agencies and I've got to say that comment raised plenty of eyebrows." Mark said
"We already knew Ofdensen had some Anausa in his pocket, that was part of the half truth Beatrice told Serenity." Peter said
"Yes but then there's this." Mark said he handed Peter a copy of another article "We didn't think anything of it at the time but now..."
"But now it looks like something's being kept from us." Peter said, he felt like slamming his artificial arm on the table but decided against it "Let's find out the damage."
"How?" Kumiko asked
"The Pope's due in Valtheim for an evening meal tonight, have someone ask for the intelligence officials name before that, but do it informally." Peter said "As for the rest of it well I'm not overly concerned, Achkaerin has a vested interest in a stable and secure Illumic and we've always supported the Illumic nations desire to take responsibility for that. What's next?"

"The Senate is set to confirm Roslyn Williams as Royal Liaison Officer." Kumiko said "They're doing Nicolette Keates as Prefect of Aranye this afternoon we hope."
"Thank Namis for that." Peter said
"Yeah but we aren't done with confirmation season yet." Kumiko said "The Chief Justice died overnight. So we need to nominate firstly a new Justice and secondly a new Chief Justice."
"Put together a list." Peter said "We've never had to do this before so let's do it right and I want a good Justice not someone who's going to be an easy confirmation."
"Noted." Kumiko said
"Next." Peter said
"The Imperial Navy's asking about adding a third Seonaid Class to the order list." the defence advisor Celine Tyler said
"If the funding's available yes." Peter said "Next."

"Peter can we talk about the Covenant Address?" Carth asked
"What about it?" Peter asked
"We're redrafting it." Carth said
"This is about the tenth time you've done that." Peter said
"I know." Carth said "It's the biggest speech of the year though."
"It's basically me addressing the Senate and the nation and informing them of what they can expect." Peter said "What's prompted the redraft?"
"No sense of flow." Carth said "We're also waiting on news from various situations across Mundus."
"I see." Peter said "Hannah no leaks about content."
"Got it." Hannah said
"Next." Peter said

"We need to talk about the Chapterhouse situation" Carla Fenchurch, the Royal Counsel said
"Go on." Peter said
"You need to make a decision about a course of action." Carla said "Because right now it looks like we're stalling."
"Kumiko?" Peter asked
"I agree." Kumiko said
"Nettie?" Peter asked
"Yes." Nettie said "You have got to decide what we're going to do. It's time to act."
"Mark put a plan together." Peter said
"Yes Your Majesty." Mark said "Suggestions?"
"We take the accusation seriously and it must look that way." Peter said "Make it look good."
"I'll coordinate with Hannah." Mark said

"Finally." Peter said "Whose presenting the Cup tomorrow?"
"Amelia." Kumiko said "Given that everyone else is busy."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
Game On

It was arguably the biggest night of the year, the night of the Covenant Address, a tradition that went back three hundred years to the time of Empress Djana Azurewind, she who had established the Senate and by association had changed the style of government in Achkaerin, the nobles power had been curbed, the definition of being the ruler or a noble had been redefined in one stroke she had called the Senate 'a Covenant between the Crown and the people.' the Covenant Address was essentially an opportunity for the Emperor to talk about whatever he wanted in front of the entire Senate and key members of the nobility, and the party that went down at the Marble Palace afterwards didn't hurt either. It was a night that a lot of preparation went into and no one felt it more than Carth Vittori as he was the man responsible for carving and varnishing the speech, which only happened after hours of being locked in a room with several other people. Though presently Carth was up at Liberty Hall, the home of the Senate, the real action however was getting underway at the Marble Palace.

At the Palace the Emperor Peter Azurewind was buttoning up his shirt with his left hand, it was a constantly interesting experience for him as this was one of a few tasks that his artificial right hand lost out at. The white shirt went well with his dark trousers, not that the combination was in anyway surprising aesthetically.
"You ready yet?" it was the voice of his daughter in law Lydia Daniels, she was married to his son, though Lydia being from a broken home and parents who didn't care was more like another daughter to Peter.
"Almost." Peter said "Care to lend a hand?"
"Only because if you try it yourself we'll be late." Lydia said "It was the black one right?"
"Yes." Peter said, Lydia picked up the tie from Peter's desk and began to tie it on "One of these days I'll get the hang of this."
"You had the hang of it." Lydia said "You just need to learn your left as well as your right."
"Have you read the speech?" Peter asked
"I may have seen an advance copy of it." Lydia said
"What did you think?" Peter asked
"I think it's going to shake the foundations." Lydia said she finished doing Peter's tie and fixed him with a serious look "Game on."

Peter picked up his jacket and left the room with Lydia behind him, the Emperor pulled his jacket on as he went waiting for him at the entrance to the Palace was his wife Renee, his aide Alexandria and the press secretary Hannah Cartwright along with the head of the Royal Household Kurt Ayanami. Peter looked around the group
"Let's go." Peter said, taking the black overcoat that Kurt was holding for him and putting it on while Alex did the same for Renee.

The trip to Liberty Hall was only a ten minute one in the car, though as this was the Emperor's motorcade it was made a lot quicker than it otherwise would have been. For once it wasn't raining on this night, Peter stepped from the car when it arrived and with his entourage made his way into Liberty Hall, up the steps and into the foyer outside the Senate Chamber there waiting for him was Carth, his Chief of Staff Kumiko Arkwright and the newest addition to the staff the Royal Liaison Officer, the bridge between the Crown and the Senate Roslyn Williams.
"Your speech Your Majesty." Carth said handing a black folder to Peter
"Thank you Carth." Peter said as most of the rest of the group made their way inside the Chamber to their seats.
"Bring it Peter." Kumiko said "Sixteenth address that's your lucky number." Peter half smiled, Kumiko knew him probably better than anyone else. Peter nodded and handed Kurt his coat, then he fixed Roslyn in his sights.
"Roslyn tell the Speaker I'd like to see him." Peter said, Roslyn nodded and opened the door to the chamber
"Mr Speaker his Imperial Majesty Emperor Peter Azurewind." Roslyn said, Peter sucked in a breath and walked into the chamber.

"What do you think?" Kurt asked as he and Kumiko watched Peter enter
"Depends who turns up." Kumiko said "It'll be a sight to see if the Peter Azurewind I know turns up."
"Think he will?" Kurt asked
"Well in the last week we've been having the same debates we had back at University." Kumiko said "And he's had that killer look in his eye."
"Game on then." Kurt said
"Oh yeah." Kumiko said
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:53:00 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »
Visiting Hours

The hospital ward was a quiet place, well at least they tended to be. Serenity lay on the bed in recovery from what she'd been through and it wasn't pretty either. She blinked her eyes open from a few hours of sleep and immediately felt something on her abdomen she glanced down and smiled it was her eldest daughter Lisa lying there, she glanced to her left and saw her husband Isaac sat in a chair with their daughter Astrid lying on his lap.

"Hey." Isaac said when he saw Serenity looking at him
"Anyone get the number of whatever hit me?" Serenity asked
"You were caught in an explosion." Isaac said
"How bad?" Serenity asked

Before Isaac could break the really bad news Lisa stirred
"Mum!" Lisa said, this also woke Astrid and soon both girls were on the bed hugging their mother.
"I'm ok girls." Serenity said, she was putting a brave face on it and Isaac knew it Serenity wasn't even remotely fine, he stood up and sat on the bed holding Serenity's hand, it had been a hard year for the pair but that was the price they paid and they'd known it since the day that Isaac had taken the then Supreme Sovereignty crown (albeit for about two minutes) suffice to say they hadn't had a lot of time together since.

"There are safer ways to get a ride on the Ekrabadger." someone said from the other end of the bed, Serenity looked and saw her father the Emperor Peter standing there, Peter looked at Isaac "Can we have the room...cubicle?"
"Yeah." Isaac said "Come on girls" he led Astrid and Lisa out of the cubicle leaving just Peter and Serenity.

"How bad is it?" Serenity asked
"Bad." Peter said
"Tell me." Serenity said
"The blast" Peter said taking a seat on the bed as he spoke "It damaged your left foot." Serenity's eyes widened
"No..." she said "Not..."
"I'm sorry but they had to." Peter said "It wasn't salvagable." he pulled Serenity into a hug, she was angry but she definitely needed it.

"So what happens now?" Serenity asked
"You heal." Peter said "You rest you recover, once the doctors say you can get out of here you're going to spend some time in Highwick no arguments, Maddy will get you fitted with what you need and you're going on leave from the navy."
"Ok." Serenity said
"And when you're feeling up to it there's a phone call you need to return." Peter said
"From?" Serenity asked, Peter handed her a piece of paper "I see."
"Get some rest." Peter said

Peter wandered back into the corridor and thought about punching the wall as his wife Renee joined him
"How is she?" Renee asked
"Not as good as she's trying to make us believe." Peter said "She's really down in the dumps."
"She's come back from worse though right?" Renee asked
"Has she?" Peter said "She's never been hurt this badly not even three days with Kyle Barren did anything like this."
"She'll get through it." Renee said "It may take her while but she'll get there."
"And if she gets too depressed we'll call Georgia." Peter said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
All Journey's Begin With A Single Step

Zoe Croft the nurse assigned to the medical team that was responsible for the Achkaerinese Royals was having a moment of deja vu, about two and a half years earlier she'd been stood in this same spot at Highwick Manor getting the Emperor back walking after the terrorist attack on the Royal Hunt, and that had been more trickery and getting Peter angry than anything else. Now here she was only this time it wasn't Peter it was Serenity, the Crown Princess, discharged only a couple of days earlier from hospital, was sat on the edge of a sofa while the Royal Physician Maddy Dale finished fitting Serenity's prosthetic leg.

"That feels really weird." Serenity said
"It will for a while." Maddy said "Just ask your Dad about how he felt when I fitted his arm for the first time but eventually this will be the norm."
"Ok." Serenity said
"How is it?" Zoe asked
"All ship shape." Maddy said, she stood up and backed away "Let's see how you do."
"It's just one foot in front of the other." Zoe said "Just don't much too much weight on your left at first we've got to get you comfortable on it."

Serenity nodded and taking both of Zoe's hands allowed herself to be pulled, gently, to her feet deliberately putting the majority of her weight on her organic leg
"Deep breaths right?" Serenity asked
"Yes. Now lets see how you do." Zoe said "Best foot forward." Serenity took a step and almost instantly fell forwards causing Zoe and Maddy to catch her
"Easy we got you." Maddy said
"Let's try it again." Zoe said

Three hours later they hadn't made progress, Zoe and Maddy knew what the problem was Serenity was still acting as if she had both her original legs and that wasn't the reality anymore. Changing nature was a difficult thing.
"Now nice and slow." Zoe said "Plant the left foot."
"Ok." Serenity said, she planted the foot as best she could but obviously not being able to feel the sole of the foot anymore meant she was having to rely on other things to tell her when it was down.
"Ok now let's take the step with the right foot." Zoe said, taking a step back as Serenity brought her right leg forwards this was where things had been going wrong when the weight was on the artificial leg. But now rather than Maddy and Zoe having to rush in and stop a fall Serenity got her right foot down "Now the left." Serenity managed it again.

"That's a win." Maddy said "Nice work Zoe."
"Next we'll try without me holding your hands." Zoe said "But you've got the motion now."
"Then what?" Serenity asked
"Once you're walking we'll see about running." Zoe said "I've got a few friends who might be able to help with that."
"Oh and Vicky's complaining about having to fit new kit into your cars." Maddy said
"I'm sure she is." Serenity said
"Let's keep going." Zoe said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
The Vow

Highwick seemed to have turned into the Marble Palace on tour, if anyone thought there was any chance of keeping the Azurewind ownership of the place a secret well that was definitely in the wind now. Peter was stood in the garden, it was a familiar routine for him whether at home or abroad, the amount of calls he was getting was as always quite a large amount today's favourites? State executions, what seemed to be Rokkenjiman hilarity not to mention hypocrisy and lack of understanding, and then there was the flurry of calls with the cabinet over a few other issues such as Alys Arsenault's return to public life and the continued discussion over Freestone Mark legislation. Presently however Peter was in a discussion with Maddy Dale who was standing on the patio while Peter was on the grass.

"How's she doing?" Peter asked
"She'll physically recover there's no doubt about that, but that isn't what worries me." Maddy said
"Mentally is what worries you?" Peter asked
"Don't get me wrong I know Serenity's a whole lot tougher than she looks but this is in a whole different league." Maddy said "She's going to need time and she's going to need a reduction in her official duties."
"What do you suggest?" Peter asked
"East Moreland's Battle Back." Maddy said "They don't turn away veterans from their allies."
"How do you know so much about it?" Peter asked
"Got a friend who works for them." Maddy said "They're based up in Silverhills."

"Talking about me?" Serenity asked from behind Maddy, the doctor and the Emperor turned and she smiled a little "I heard most of it."
"What do you reckon?" Peter asked
"I think it's a good idea." Serenity said "I'm just about getting the hang of this leg but there's a whole list of implications I haven't come across yet, talking with other people who've got the experience can only help me."

"Ok." Peter said "I'm going to leave your return to duties up to you but I want you to promise me this, you don't come to me and say you're ready until you absolutely are and I mean deep down, none of your 'I have to be' attitude, I mean you are ready."
"I promise." Serenity said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »
Rolling the Dice

If anyone had hoped that the return to Valtheim was going to bring about a nice change then they weren't going to get their wish, the news from Slava Lavosk had seen to that. So here Peter was with members of the cabinet, his advisors, intelligence officials and of course the military looking over what the implications were. It was a piece of news they'd expected but they'd hoped not to read it for a little longer. And that was before anyone thought about the implications Rokkenjima's announcement, the mood around the table wasn't an overly positive one.

"Ok let's not beat around the bush let's take this one thing at a time." Peter said "Slava have set the execution date suggestions?"
"Initially we need to do what we can do." Michael Williams, the Consul (leader of the elected government) said "We're in a position where Empress Beatrice has whether she realizes it or not given us the smallest of opportunities. We can talk to President Kravec, we'd have to tread the fine line but get it right and we'll have a chance."
"You think we can talk down an execution?" Peter asked
"I think we can try our best." Michael said
"Ok it had better be Sakura that goes. Make sure she has a government minister with her." Peter said "Tell me the contingencies."

"There aren't a whole lot of them." it was Rion Ayanami who spoke "Speaking from the view of options to rescue Dilara Haghighi there are nowhere near as many as I'd like. Normally we'd want to stage a jailbreak, fake her death before the execution date or force a change of location. Now I can still get people into that country no problem and it wouldn't be that difficult for them to get into the capital but any move after that becomes problematic without information."
"Slaval Lavosk was a USR bloc nation wasn't it?" Mark Sharpe, the national security advisor said "Have you gone through old intel looking for information on the prison?"
"First thing we did." Rion said "But that doesn't give us current data on numbers and routine it's dicey to say the least."
"But doable?" Peter asked
"With some help and the right circumstances perhaps." Rion said

"Ok then." Peter said "Assuming this execution happens what's the likely impact going to be? Nettie?" he looked at his foreign affairs advisor Nettie Taylor
"I doubt Rokkenjima will take it well, if the Excelsior was sent just because of what the present situation is the minute 10,000 more lives are on the line then do the maths on what that means the Slavan's will be seeing off their coast." Nettie said

"It's ten thousand people who potentially haven't even committed a crime." Peter said "If it comes down to it we're going to do something about it. Field Marshall?"
"Thank you Your Majesty." Field Marshall William Dawson said from his seat "We believe that if military intervention were to be used that a 'Guardian Angel' profile operation in the Medal Pocket area would be the appropriate recommendation for such a scenario."
"Is that achievable?" Peter's defence advisor Celine Tyler asked
"We think it is." Kara Thornton from the Military Defence Initiative said "We'd need a bit of help but it's definitely doable."
"Big problem though is what are Kaitaine, Rodina and Royal Seleucid going to do if this all kicks off?" Celine asked
"I really don't want to speculate on that." Nettie said
"Have intel look into it Mark." Michael said

"Ok then." Peter said "Here's what we do Sakura will go to Slava Lavosk, make it about addressing slavery, upholding human rights etc. Obviously Dilara's going to get mentioned and people will want a definitive position, myself, Eve and the Attorney General will deal with enabling that. Rion do what you need to do but I'd like some information on Dilara's lawyer and then depending on what he says you may have to get Evanthe and the IDS involved. And we'd better have someone make contact with Tamora just in case things get where we hope they don't get to. It's going to be a scramble but let's see if we can keep the match away from the powder. And if we can't then we'll do what we must."

"I assume you want us to make the preparations just in case this gets to the extreme point?" Kara asked
"Yes I do." Peter said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 08:13:39 PM »
New Year, New Resolution

January heralded several things as far as Achkaerin went, it was usually a more easy going time but a storm had once again reared its head and yet again it's name was Cultist Genocide, Peter was sat in his study reading all the various things he got handed to him every day in terms of reports but his mind was firmly on Royal Seleucid, it was one of the great badges of honour to the Achkaerinese military in recent years to have, alongside their allies in East Moreland, carried out one of if the not the most complex logistical operations in history - that had been the last time around, a lot of people had been saved in that action and Peter was determined that there was no way he was going to see that happen again. Now the door opened and in walked his Chief of Staff Kumiko Arkwright and Foreign Affairs Advisor Nettie Taylor.

"Rokkenjima meeting?" Kumiko asked
"Yes." Peter said, he waited for both of the women to sit on the sofa opposite "Headlines?"
"Commonwealth Decree is massively lacking" Nettie said "Especially in terms of the concerns Achkaerin raised over a year ago."
"Problem has never been the funding or the treaty." Peter said "But the speed of process and the conviction of the members."
"Exactly." Kumiko said
"What about the Rokkenjima Committee?" Peter asked

"The Senate Business Group chose Senator Sawyer to chair the committee." Nettie said
"Progressive Party." Peter said "Good choice."
"Government has chosen Senator Hayes, Opposition have selected Senator Allen." Kumiko said "Lottery allocations are Senators Cooper, Herring, Potter and Monroe."
"Interesting group." Peter said, it was one of the interesting quirks to how the Committee memberships were decided the group responsible for overseeing the Senate Committee's picked from a submitted shortlist the chairperson, then the government and lead opposition party picked one Senator each to sit on the committee, the remainder were chosen by lottery from approved shortlists. But there were still two seats on the committee unoccupied, these were ones that were deferred to those selected by the Crown.

"So who do you want Peter?" Kumiko asked
"Given the likely witness list we can't have people too closely associated." Peter said "Saki because this her arena and she's expert enough and we'd better have Eve in there as well."
"Ok." Kumiko said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 12:21:55 AM »
Reality Check

It wasn't every day that the Royal Physician Maddy Dale ended up actually practicing medicine, she was used to mainly being on standby, writing papers or doing the odd lecture at one of Valtheim's university's but today her small clinical space was occupied by none other than the Achkaerinese Emperor Peter Azurewind who lay on the examination bed.

"And you just felt light headed?" Maddy asked
"Yeah I thought it was because I was feeling so worn out." Peter said
"You've been having trouble sleeping?" Maddy asked
"No." Peter said "I haven't felt like this for years."
"This has happened before?" Maddy asked
"It was years ago, the night before my coronation." Peter said
"Any other symptoms?" Maddy asked "Muscle spasms, stiffness, blurred vision?"
"Blurred vision this morning." Peter said "But yeah spasms as well."
"Oh please no." Maddy said rushing to her bookshelves and getting hold of a rather hefty tome which she started to flick through the pages of.
"What is it?" Peter asked
"I want you to have an MRI." Maddy said "No arguments."

Peter had never seen Maddy as worried as she seemed it that moment, not even the separation of Aeolia and Lamia when they'd been conjoined had made her seem this uneasy, he relented instantly and about half an hour later was in the Marble Palace's bunker with the nurse on the palace's medical staff Zoe Croft, the bunker was the emergency shelter in case of national crisis that required the monarch to be secured safely, as such down below the more sophisticated clinic had a wider variety of equipment including the MRI machine. While Zoe got the machine fired up Peter got himself ready to go into the machine, when Zoe nodded he lied down on the bed and let the machine do its work. The Emperor kept his eyes closed for the most part, he wasn't the type that liked to keep still so this situation was a particular challenge so he was relieved when -

"We're done just take it nice and slow when you get out of the machine." Zoe said over the intercom "Then we're going to go and see Maddy for the results."
"Thank you." Peter said

It was two hours later that Peter was once again in Maddy's little examination room, one look at her face was enough to tell Peter that something was up.
"It's serious isn't it?" Peter asked, Maddy sighed and shook her head
"It's serious." Maddy said "You'd better sit down Peter."
"What is it?" Peter asked, knowing better than to argue he sat down
"You have multiple sclerosis Peter." Maddy said

The silence was so dead it was practically audible, the impact of Maddy's words made Peter take some very deep breaths from his position sat on the examination bed. Maddy now sat down next to him.
"MS?" Peter asked "Wouldn't I notice having something like that?"
"It's one of the hardest things to diagnose because a lot of the symptoms can be attributed to different things. Which is why I had to you go through an MRI because I needed to be more certain." Maddy said "My guess is that you've got relapsing remitting MS, it would explain the long time gap between episodes."
"You're going to need to explain that." Peter said
"You know how Sakura occasionally has seizures because of her epilepsy?" Maddy asked, Peter nodded "And there's no way for me to be able to tell you how long between those seizures?"
"Yes." Peter said
"Well relapsing remitting MS is similar in that regard, you have periods of attacks otherwise known as relapses and then periods of what's known as remission where you're not under attack. There's no way to know how long the periods of remission last it could be weeks, months or even years." Maddy said

"Ok answer me this." Peter said "Is it possible that we could be sat here right now with me having an attack and you not knowing about it?"
"That's not what you mean." Maddy said "You mean is it possible for you to be in the Round Table Room during an international crisis, have an attack and it not be noticed? You want to know if it can impair your judgement."
"Yes." Peter said
"Short answer is it's possible, one of the symptoms of MS is trouble with thinking, learning and planning so it's possible that if that develops your judgement may become impaired. In terms of being in the Round Table Room, yes it's possible to relapse and no one to notice because it wouldn't be obvious."
"How did Iona not realize?" Peter said, referencing his dead wife who had been a doctor.
"She was essentially a General Practitioner with an emergency medicine background, she never did surgery and she never did neurology." Maddy said "She wouldn't have realized because she probably wouldn't have known all the pieces. I do because I am a surgeon and I studied neurology as an elective."
"So now what?" Peter asked
"I suggest you tell people." Maddy said "There's a list of people who have to know this right?"
"Yeah starting with family and staff." Peter said

A further half an hour later the Royal family in residence and the Palace staff were all assembled in the lounge area, it was highly unusual for the Emperor to call for an assembly such as this so they were all curious as to why.

"I won't beat about the bush." Peter said "Maddy has just diagnosed me with relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis."
"What does that actually mean?" Kumiko Arkwright, the Chief of Staff asked
"It means he's got a serious medical condition." Maddy said "It has implications which we've discussed. You all have to know that we're talking about a disease that works on the basis of what we call relapses which are attacks and then periods of remission which is when Peter appears 'normal'."
"How serious is it?" Nettie Taylor, the foreign affairs advisor asked "Could he die from this?"
"MS is very rarely fatal, what normally kills people with MS isn't the disease itself but the knock on effects such as other infections." Maddy said "There is no cure for MS, but this isn't a death sentence, with the proper management Peter's quality of life and general health will not change, remember he's been living with this undiagnosed for a while and now we know what to look for."

"What causes these relapses?" Simon Azurewind, Peter's son, asked
"No one knows for certain, there's a school of thought that says periods of illness and stressful experiences can." Maddy said "Mundus right now is an obvious stress factor if ever there was one."
"So what are you going to do?" Kumiko asked
"I'm going to put Peter on a disease modifying therapy to slow down and reduce the effects of the condition as much as possible. Zoe will develop an exercise program for him. In the short term I also want to keep him away from stressful situations so what's coming up official duty wise?" Maddy asked
"Visit to Bakkermaya and the Council of Crowns." Nettie said
"Ok Bakkermaya fine I have no argument with, that's not that high on the stress scale, Bakkermaya is by all accounts friendly and they'll be a Minister of State there with him." Maddy said "Council of Crowns no way is he going there, it could get very stressful and we don't want to prolong the relapse period or bring on another one. Let's get the treatment going first."

"I'll take Council of Crowns." Serenity said "Who else needs to be told about this?"
"Government ministers, leaders of the main political parties, the nobility, the Prefects who will in turn notify the ambassadors on their respective continents, military leadership." Peter said "Hannah keep this out of the media please the last thing we need right now is a news cycle about my health especially with Mundus teetering on the brink."
"No problem." Hannah Cartwright, the Press Secretary said
"How do we do it Roslyn?" Kumiko asked looking at the Royal Liaison Officer Roslyn Williams

"We do it without drawing undue attention." Roslyn said "The cabinet's coming here for their weekly meeting tomorrow, we can have Maddy sit them down and walk them through it, military and intelligence are in later in the day same thing can apply. I'm down at Liberty Hall so I can handle the party leaders and the nobles provided Maddy gives me a rundown of how to present it. Prefects quarterly meeting is when?"
"Next week." Nettie said
"We repeat the cabinet performance then." Roslyn said "All looks normal and no one's any the wiser."
"Agreed." Peter said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 01:17:09 AM »
Dinner With Daničle

It had been a busy day for Peter, he'd been in Safraen for the annual memorial service that remembered the dead across both the Kaiju virus outbreak and then the subsequent conflict. He'd been joined for the day by Daničle Aveline, the Duchess of Aquitaine and a young woman whom Peter had raised, when he thought about that seemed to be something he'd done an awful lot of didn't it? To finish the day off Peter had taken Daničle out for dinner, just across the river from the Marble Palace to the Blue Rose restaurant. Peter in his suit and Daničle in a sapphire blue dress, food wise Peter had ordered a lamb steak while Daničle was on the fish which in this case was a lovely salmon.

"So how's life in Aquitaine?" Peter asked
"Can't complain." Daničle said "Fairly routine now we've got everything up and running. Those corvettes you sold us performed well."
"Well they're New Derusmia's now." Peter said
"They certainly are." Daničle said "So how are things with you?"
"We're adapting." Peter said
"You know it's not a death sentence." Daničle said referring to Peter's MS, she'd been told about it quite quickly because she was considered family by Peter.
"Yeah but that doesn't make it easier." Peter said before sipping a glass of water.
"Just look after yourself." Daničle said

"We do need to talk about Sebastien though." Peter said "That report is due."
"Still think I should hire him if he's cleared?" Daničle asked
"He saved your life when you were baby." Peter said
"So did you." Daničle said
"I was sat in command of a frigate outside Marseilles waters." Peter said "He was the one who actually smuggled you through two countries where everyone was looking for you. I was just the getaway driver."
"You didn't answer my question." Daničle said
"If he's cleared then he's innocent so did nothing wrong." Peter said "No reason not to give him a job under those circumstances. He's loyal to you and he knows a thing or two."
"Point taken." Daničle said "Just wish I could actually get out a bit more than I do."
"Next time there's a ball I'll let you know." Peter said smiling

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2019, 07:52:36 PM »
Opportunity

There was an unusual atmosphere around the Marble Palace, almost an element of light heartedness. Peter stood in his study, he had a map of Mundus unrolled on his study table. His eyes darting around Achkaerin's neighbourhood and then slightly further afield. He looked up as Nettie Taylor his foreign affairs advisor walked in.
"Peter..." Nettie started
"Do you think Beatrice realises the opportunity she's thrown our way?" Peter asked at the same time Nettie spoke.
"Your long planned project?" Nettie asked "Or would labour of love be more appropriate?"
"You didn't answer the question." Peter said
"Well she's managed to significantly antagonise a fair portion of Mundus before the Imperial Address and now she's managed to antagonize even more nations by not thinking through the implications and consequences of the content." Nettie said, then she stopped and smiled "And you're going to play that as a card."
"You think it's wrong to be concerned that Rokkenjima is rapidly spiralling out of control?" Peter asked
"No I share the concern and it's something we'll figure out in time." Nettie said "Ok so where do we stand with this?"

"Treaties with Vaguzia" Peter said tapping the map on Vaguzia "And Seaforth." he tapped the map again this time on Seaforth
"Two key players if this is to work. So who else is there?" Nettie asked looking at the map "Abydos, Vanora, Safraen, Clysperis, Lemenia, Montagnes and probably Zimalia."
"Not bad for the first step." Peter said "Looks like we'll need a diplomatic campaign though."
"Foreign Office can handle that." Nettie said "The issue however is unsurprisingly going to be here." she tapped the map on Clysperis
"So we find someone that can maybe get us a fair hearing." Peter said
"That's going to take an awful lot of discretion and one hell of an offer." Nettie said following Peter's train of thought.
"Find a way to do it Nettie." Peter said "And this one time pipe dream might actually stand a chance of becoming reality."
"I'll get right on it." Nettie said "Anything else?"
"Tell Roslyn we're going to need the article six matter reinstating, different subject though for the moment." Peter said
"You got it." Nettie said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 12:54:56 AM »
The Red Snowflake

The 24th of December, the Royal Theatre in Valtheim, it was the annual Snowflake Concert - the yearly show put on by the Achkaerinese Royal Family, this year it was the turn of Crown Princess Serenity Azurewind to do the show but with events earlier that afternoon, seeing her own husband gunned down in front of her, there had been numerous conversations in the last few hours about whether to change the performer or even cancel the concert all together given what had happened. However Serenity had been adamant she wanted to do the concert, she was sat backstage it was the first chance she'd really had to process what had happened hours earlier, she could still hear the gunfire in her head, she could still feel the moistness of Isaac's blood on her skin. Her attention was taken by her stepmother Renee who crouched down in front of her.

"Are you absolutely sure you want to do this?" Renee asked "No one would blame you for calling it."
"I'd blame myself." Serenity said "I need to be busy, I need to be doing something."
"Distracting yourself won't soften the blow." Renee said "You need time to process what happened today."
"I'll be ok I can do this." Serenity said "I have to do this."
"Why?" Renee asked
"Because when I was fifteen I stared down Kyle Barren while chained up in a cave, when I was seventeen Alex while she wasn't in her right mind abducted me, and now today I lost Isaac. I'm fed up of being the victim, I need to show I'm not like that. I need to show myself that."
"You're more like your father than I thought." Renee said "You know why I love him so much?" Serenity shook her head "Because he's a rock, an immovable rock, he doesn't buckle, he doesn't give way, he takes on everyone's pain and let's them move past it. Which given his condition is remarkable."
"Yeah I know." Serenity said
"Odd choice of clothes for a concert though." Renee said

Serenity half blushed, it was true, she was wearing a pair of black jeans and her Mundus Globetrotters top - a sixteenth birthday present from King David.
"I couldn't really wear anything else tonight." Serenity said
"Your mother would be proud so go give them a show." Renee said, Serenity nodded.

Out in the auditorium the seats were full of children, this was what the show was about it was a show they did each year for children in foster homes, hospitals and young carers, it was about giving them a night where they could just be kids so to speak. Serenity made her way out onto the stage, the spotlight tracking her as she walked she was feeling her wedding ring, the applause was warm and probably in some quarters out of shock it was likely that many had expected that she wouldn't show up tonight but here she was. She stopped at centre stage and composed herself, a kiss on her wedding ring and then the music started up for the first time. The opening song of her show was On My Own, it was a song she knew well, a song she'd sung before ironically it was perhaps a fitting opener for the night given how much Serenity was feeling like Eponine at that point. She could mentally picture Isaac being beside her through the song.

"Thank you. Good evening Valtheim." Serenity said after the song had finished and the applause had died down "I first sang that a few years ago when my family agreed to put on a charity performance of Les Miserables as part of the Edelweiss Festival. Not an evening any of us will ever forget. Tonight I wanted to be about so many things, I wanted it to be a fun night for you, a thank you to everyone who helped me get back on my feet after I lost my leg, and I kinda wanted to prove something to myself. And then this afternoon happened. So tonight isn't about me, it was never about me anyway, tonight I say thank you to everyone who supported my recovery, I wish you all well through the evening and I pay tribute to the man I lost a few hours ago. Our next song this evening please."

The next song was The Sound of Surviving, Serenity had originally picked it in reference to her recovery over the last few months but on the night it had a slightly different interpretation. After that it was onto the expected Disney and pop montage. In the wings Renee was watching Serenity carefully, there was little question that the Crown Princess was to some extent forcing her way through the evening but she was trying not to. After a rendition of You'll be in my Heart Serenity smiled a little for the first time, it had been one of Isaac's favourite songs and brought back a lot of good memories, but also reminded her not that she needed reminding that he wasn't there anymore.

"Ladies and gentlemen this is our final song of the evening, I hope you enjoy it, one of my favourites not to mention a favourite of my daughters. Yellow." Serenity said

After the final song, came the applause, the bow and the end. Serenity got into the wings and slumped against the wall.
"You were forcing yourself." Renee said
"I know." Serenity said "I needed to do this. I just needed to say something about how I feel but I can't find the words."
"So you use music." Renee said "Not bad but this isn't therapy. When you lose someone like Isaac it takes time to heal, there aren't any shortcuts. But know one thing you're not beaten."

Serenity's phone buzzed at that point, she looked at it a text message from Princess Georgia of Dartfordia, Serenity opened it 'Hey U ok?' it said Serenity smiled and replied 'Damaged but not broken. I'll be back'

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »
Holiday Planning

Days like this were hard to come by in Valtheim, for once there was absolutely nothing on the agenda in terms of international crises or anything sensitive, there was a light hearted mood around the palace Peter and his head of household Kurt Ayanami were going over the logistics of the diary - it was perhaps a sad fact but figuring out how to schedule events and so forth often came down to mundane conversations like this. Subject of the hour? The upcoming wedding of King David.

"So let's see here" Peter said, being in his study meant that he could visualize things on the map of Mundus that hung on the wall "Our wedding party is myself, Renee and Serenity, which means the girls are coming and Rion's got the honour of being on the ceremonial escort."
"Which will likely mean Alex coming along." Kurt said, Peter looked at Kurt taking a few moments to decipher the meaning of the words.
"How long has that been a thing?" Peter asked
"A while." Kurt said
"How haven't I noticed?" Peter asked
"We're talking about two people who are exceptionally gifted at keeping secrets." Kurt said
"Fair enough." Peter said "As it's David's wedding I believe the Ayanami clan will be descending on Northfort?"
"We'll be there." Kurt said "Essentially cousins and all that. And apparently Seaforth are having Harper Rhodes attend."
"Which means Julian Lawson." Peter said "Ok so lay it out."

"Renee's in Niameck helping Amelia out with fashion week, the Silverhills grand prix is just before the wedding so I expect Serenity will be there." Kurt said
"Thank goodness I bought Highwick." Peter said "Ok here's what we do - Anyone going to wedding flies into East Moreland with Serenity a few days before, she can take the girls and go watch the grand prix, Renee will join us from Niameck when she's done there. We'll have an extra room made up at Highwick so Harper can come and stay."
"And outbound?" Kurt asked
"We'll drop Harper off on the way back." Peter said "And a couple of weeks after that I'm sitting down with Hannah." he meant Hannah Cartwright, the Royal Press Secretary.
"So you're going public." Kurt said
"You don't sit on this sort of thing." Peter said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
Another Day, Another Crisis, Another Flag

If there was one oddity about Achkaerin it was how the official and unofficial chains of command varied - Sakura Sheppard was the Emperor's niece by virtue of being the daughter of the Emperor's former brother in law so she was on paper quite far down the pecking order when it came to the line of succession but in practice she was a lot higher up, arguably the second most accomplished Achkaerinese diplomatic figure, she typically sat behind the Emperor and his two children when it came to the day to day running of the country. Today found her in the Round Table Room looking at the likely next major flashpoint on Mundus - Merina. They were still factfinding on the ground but now they had Tamora getting involved, the Council of Albion presumably discussing the matter but no action yet and a general sense of unease about the whole thing.

"I feel like I'm having deja vu all over again." Sakura said looking at the map "Ok what impact do we think the Tamoran involvement is going to have?"

"Assuming the Council of Albion isn't far behind." Celine Tyler, the Royal Family's defence advisor said slowly "Minimal at first but obviously if this escalates a trained native army backed by a sovereign state with its own professional army is not a good thing. The longer it goes the more trouble having players not working together causes."
"The one good thing in all this is that Merina's geographic position is south of the Arovium." Nettie Taylor said smiling "Seeing as Tytor and Rokkenjima are both pretty annoyed about it I'd guess you're going to see a watching brief in that area and potentially Floodwater used as a monitoring station. Can't actually stop Tamoran involvement coming down that way without declaring war."
"FSC, transit passage and all that." Sakura said

"Peter's asked we consider an orange flag." Celine said
"Using our commitment in Phuebra as a cover I presume?" Sakura asked
"Something like that." Celine said
"Diplomatic logistics?" Sakura asked
"If it comes to it general liaison principle." Nettie said "I'm in contact with Aquitaine and Marseilles already."
"Might want to add Aosta to that list." Sakura said "Ok tell Peter we can do an orange flag."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 04:09:02 AM »
The Interview

Hannah Cartwright was nervous, it was d-day for the Emperor's MS, it was the day that they were coming clean about it. The condition diagnosed not that long ago had come as a shock of course but there had never been anything other than the intention that this would be public knowledge, it had however needed careful management to get to this point to control how this came out, to control the narrative. There were plenty of television stations in Achkaerin, plenty of news outlets and while they'd likely all cover it, the method would be managed carefully. Hannah had decided on a sit down interview with the Emperor and his wife, though it would mainly be the Emperor doing the talking. As for who was asking the questions well there was only team for that job and they were just arriving outside. A few minutes later and probably Achkaerin's most renowned news reporter Roisin Shaughnessy and director Fiona North were stepping into the Marble Palace's hallway followed by the cameraman Jacob Cameron, none of the three arrivals knew what the precise details of this were, they'd simply been told it was an interview with the Emperor and they'd get the details when they arrived.

"If this was anyone other than you Hannah I'd have told them to stuff the cloak and dagger routine." Fiona said she looked around
"I have my reasons." Hannah said as they began walking down the hall through the palace
"It must be serious." Roisin said
"It is." Hannah said "You'll be doing the interview in the west lounge."
"Ok." Jacob said "I'll start rigging up for that."
"Details?" Roisin asked
"This is embargoed and off the record until the interview." Hannah said
"Ok what is it?" Fiona asked
"The Emperor was recently diagnosed with a form of Multiple Sclerosis." Hannah said "The purpose of the interview is to explain this to the people."
"You're telling me the Emperor has a serious illness?" Roisin asked
"That's the situation." Hannah said "Doctor Dale is in her clinic room she can give you the medical background on this so you're prepped."
"How long have we got?" Roisin asked
"About four hours." Hannah said

In his chambers Peter Azurewind was getting dressed for the interview, he'd even had a shave for it which was probably going to shock a few people. He was pulling on his jacket as his wife Renee came out of her dressing room in a black outfit. She looked at Peter and smiled as she did her hair.
"Will I do?" Renee asked
"You always look good in black." Peter said
"Always the charmer Peter." Renee said
"I've got to be at least somewhat that tonight." Peter said "I'm about to tell the entire country and a large amount of Mundus that I've got a form of MS."
"Just be yourself." Renee said "You've got this."
"You think so?" Peter asked
"Absolutely." Renee said she pulled Peter to his feet and kissed him "That's for luck. Are you ready?"
"As ready as I'll ever be." Peter said

Peter and Renee made their way downstairs a few moments later, past all the Palace staff and into the west lounge, the room was set up for the interview, the sofa was for the Imperial couple opposite them was a chair that Roisin was sat in.
"Good evening your Majesties." Roisin said as the Emperor and his wife sat down
"Ms Shaughnessy thank you for doing this." Peter said
"It's a pleasure sir." Roisin said
"Ok everyone we're on the air in five...four...three...two...one." Fiona said before pointing at Roisin and then beginning to do the work she needed to do.

Roisin looked at one of the cameras that Jacob had set up and smiled.
"Good evening everyone and welcome to a special program live from the west lounge of the Marble Palace, I'm joined tonight by Emperor Peter and his wife Princess Renee." Roisin said "First Your Majesty thank you for having us here tonight."
"It's a pleasure." Peter said smiling
"This is a bit of an odd situation for me as an interviewer because I've not asked for this interview you have so can you tell me what this is about?" Roisin asked, Peter smiled as Renee put her hand on his.
"When I was being prepared to take on the role of Emperor I was taught that the Emperor is not the ruler of the people but their servant, I am trusted as the leader of this nation to act in a manner consistent with our values and laws, to represent those values, those principles and stay true to them no matter how unpopular they may be. That is the covenant between the crown and the people and it is a relationship built on many things but mainly that of trust, as part of that I have to be honest and transparent with the people who I serve as monarch." Peter said
"So there's something you wish to share with the public?" Roisin asked

Peter took a deep breath and composed himself, it was always worth remembering the old lesson 'to name something is to remove the power it holds over you' he met Roisin's eyes.
"I have recently been diagnosed with a relapsing remitting form of multiple sclerosis." Peter said, Roisin paused for a moment knowing the impact the Emperor's revelation would have to anyone watching.
"To many watching this disease is known to be a serious one." Roisin said "How does it affect your life?"
"My life pattern is that I have periods of attacks otherwise known as relapses and then periods of what's known as remission where my body is not under attack. There's no way to know how long the periods of remission last it could be weeks, months or even years. However it is a manageable condition." Peter said
"Ok so given how hard this disease is to spot could you have an attack right now and I wouldn't know?" Roisin asked
"Yes." Peter said
"And what causes these relapses?" Roisin asked
"No one knows for certain." Peter said as Renee squeezed his hand "Some say periods of illness and stressful experiences can."
"But your the Emperor of Achkaerin, you deal with stressful situations on a daily basis, aren't you putting yourself at risk of a relapse each time a crisis occurs?" Roisin asked

"Yes." Peter said "Every time I'm in the room making those calls, being involved in those discussions the possibility of a relapse is there."
"Surely if you can have a relapse like that then your judgement is in question." Roisin said
"That is true it's possible that I could have a relapse in that situation, I haven't had one yet but that doesn't mean it can't happen." Peter said "However during the remission periods I'm what would be called normal."
"Your majesty I think you know what I'm getting at." Roisin said "You make life or death decisions more than most leaders on Mundus how can we be sure that you are exercising the correct judgement and not suffering an attack when making those decisions?"
"Well truthfully there is no way to be certain because the indications are so innocuous that it's difficult to notice." Peter said "We have put in place a safeguard protocol involving several measures to ensure that I am not having an attack while making those decisions."

"How are you managing your daily life?" Roisin asked
"We have a treatment plan courtesy of Doctor Dale, this is a plan to minimize the likelihood of a relapse and to keep his quality of life high." Renee said "It's something we'll get used to but it's not a death sentence."
"But does this have any effect on your ability to serve as Emperor?" Roisin asked
"In my opinion no." Peter said "Can this disease affect my judgement? Yes but in all but the most extreme situations the decisions I'm part of making are not those that would potentially trigger a relapse but we can never say that it's not a factor which is why we've put provisions in place including upping our scrutiny level to minimize the risk as much as we can. And I'll be very clear that if this disease does develop to the point where I can no longer function as Emperor then I will step aside for my daughter to ascend the throne but we're not at that point yet and we hopefully never will be, this responsibility of being the monarch is a lifetime duty and one I take with the utmost seriousness."
"I see." Roisin said "Your Majesty I wish you well and thank you for your time tonight."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 06:35:11 PM »
The Coming Dawn

"What's the estimate?" Celine Tyler, the Emperor's defence advisor, asked over her phone as she walked down the grand staircase of the Marble Palace "That's better than we expected...Yes Major I'll pass that along to the Emperor. Ok bye." she hung up the phone and walked towards the Emperor's study, it was an interesting feature of the Palace that it didn't really have a workplace feel to it, maybe it was the fact that most of the office space was kept well out of sight and even then such space was at a premium, in fact there was only one desk out in the open and it was the one that sat just outside the Emperor's study it belonged to his aide, bodyguard and newly appointed Head of Royal Security Alexandria Savage otherwise known simply as Alex.
"They just started." Alex said
"Any last minute surprises?" Celine asked
"Well I haven't had to call for Maddy so I'm going to say no to that." Alex said, Celine grinned and stepped inside the study.

This was part of the daily routine, the briefing meeting the discussion session on anything that they needed to talk about, it was a meeting that had been particularly calm recently. But that didn't stop issues coming up nor did it stop the debates from happening. Emperor Peter sat where he usually sat for these meetings, perched on the edge of his desk, wearing due to the lack of any formal duties for the day a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. He smiled when he saw Celine walk in.
"So what's the word?" Peter asked
"Major Westbrooke estimates that if Operation Forager continues at present rate we'll have decommissioning and dismantling done by June next year." Celine said
"Why wouldn't it continue at present rate?" Peter asked
"Storm season if it's really bad." Celine said
"And if it is bad?" Kumiko Arkwright, the Chief of Staff, asked
"Could be looking at this time next year." Celine said "Either way if the estimates are bang on then next year it's over, the last nuclear weapon gone, Mundus a nuclear weapon free world."
"Wonder what my grandfather would say to that." Peter said "But when we get there it's only half the battle. It's one thing to get rid of our nuclear weapons it's another thing entirely to ensure that no one else ever has the ability to threaten Mundus with them again."
"I'm on that." Nettie Taylor, Peter's foreign affairs advisor, said "I'm working with the Foreign Office, Ministry of Defence and intelligence agencies to build the comprehensive policy required."
"Ok." Peter said "Next?"

"CSTO invitation." Kumiko said
"Will the Senate vote for it?" Peter asked "Roslyn I'm looking at you." this got a giggle from Roslyn Williams she was the Royal Liaison Officer, basically it was her job to liaise between the Crown and the Government.
"The votes are there to get it through." Roslyn said "The government intends to table it in a few days."
"And the Cross Straits Summit?" Peter asked
"We're waiting on the agenda." Roslyn said "We can finalise the delegates once we know that."
"Next?" Peter asked

"Can we talk about Altromine?" Nettie asked "Midaranye nation just coming out of isolation and signs international treaties that you wouldn't expect a Midaranye nation to sign."
"Remind me what they signed?" Peter said
"Mundus Convention on Universal Rights, Fair Seas Concordat, Outer Space Standards Convention and Uppsala Convention." Nettie said
"Doesn't sound like Midaranye." Kumiko said
"I think we need to make a diplomatic approach to them." Nettie said "It's the opportunity that Kravec's shortsightedness squandered."
"Kumiko?" Peter asked
"Sold." Kumiko said
"Next." Peter said

"The growing trend of religious oppression." Kumiko said "Kopsje edition."
"I've had the High Priestess on the phone quite a lot on this." Peter said "What do we have?"
"Something that makes Nya Aland seem tame by comparison." Nettie said "This is practically identical to Nya Aland and Fleur right up to the point where we get to actively preventing people who are twelve and younger from attending acts of worship. There are a few grey areas and creative solutions though."
"Suggestions?" Peter asked
"We've got a list." Nettie said handing Peter a piece of paper "We think something like that can work."
"Do it." Peter said reading the piece of paper.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2021, 12:14:33 AM »
In Memoriam

Quite how Emperor Peter had not had a relapse episode of his Multiple Sclerosis in the last few hours with the absolute debacle that the MAEA had ended up involved in he had no idea, but here he was and he was stressed. He had so much he needed to think about - the Theocracy of Kaitaine, the situation in Lodja and Awhaele, the last he'd needed was arguably the most critical international organisation on Mundus to get embroiled in a controversy but that's where it was, as much as Peter knew Achkaerin was an ally of Rokkenjima he was on Lijiang's side of this one with every fibre of his being, the ridiculous, needless nature of it was shocking and now he had the rumblings from the Senate, from the cabinet and his own advisors to contend with. He was wandering the halls of the Marble Palace trying to think through certain aspects of the multitude of issues before him  when he heard the sound of the grand piano in the Palace's music room playing, with a smile on his face he stepped into the doorway and found his foreign affairs advisor Nettie Taylor sat at the piano playing something very familiar, there was no music on the stand and her eyes were closed yet she was note  perfect.

"Rachmaninoff piano concerto number two." Peter said, that got Nettie's attention she opened her eyes and smiled "I knew you could play..."
"If you suggest putting me in the Variety Show in December." Nettie said
"All right I won't." Peter said "I want to go over something...anything but the MAEA mess Rokkenjima's made for themselves."
"All right." Nettie said "Dealers choice."
"Ok." Peter said "Awhaele what's your read?"
"The schedule is definitely a good firm foundation to build from." Nettie said "I think the safest bet is to proceed with individual agreements with the AKO and MICA that are in a similar vein to the agreement East Moreland has with the CSU, it doesn't get Awhaele access to the meeting table though we may not need blanket access it's more an emergency consideration, however it does get Awhaele access to the markets, the travel and all that. That's safe because that's all doable without Achkaerin being members of either organisation the problem is the Illumic Council and this is what David told you, the nature of the organisation makes the influence argument a major factor which is why I suggest not approaching it."
"So leave the security to East Moreland and Seaforth?" Peter asked
"Not what I said." Nettie said

Peter was puzzled for a moment but then he smiled "I'd forgotten you've done this before." he said
"Correct." Nettie said "Premier of Rokkenjima in 2014, Premier when the Tripartite was conceived and the principle here's the same as then, it's still about ensuring an understanding on the security side and intelligence side of things but for our purposes we swap Rishiri out for Awhaele and obviously Rokkenjima for Achkaerin. That's the principle of what you're looking at, I'm actually amazed considering everything your three nations have been through together that you don't already have something like that. It works from our end because we get the Illumic Council's critical components but we do it without the membership and we further solidify the two strongest relationships Achkaerin has had in recent history."
"And it works from their end because while it's Achkaerin, Seaforth and East Moreland relaying information back and forth about security matters in the Illumic it's not an Illumic organisation so the circle is squared somewhat at least." Peter said
"Pretty much but it can't be a straight up copy and paste job." Nettie said "Achkaerin's relationship with East Moreland and Seaforth is much more evolved than Rokkenjima's was, do your own thing."
"How do we do it?" Peter asked
"We need everyone concerned in the same place, we need three meetings, which is for us three groups of delegates." Nettie said "I'd suggest somewhere on Awhaele might be best maybe ask Siora about hosting."
"Agreed." Peter said
"If this works it's a series of treaties involving Achkaerin I would advise an Illumic envoy similar to the Midaranye one." Nettie said
"Understood." Peter said "Let's do this."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2022, 04:41:02 PM »
Red Dash

"So let me get this straight." Peter said they were mid meeting in his study "We've got Rokkenjiman and Tytorian fleets heading for Centralia, leaving aside that they could slice through the Centralian navy like a hot knife through butter I still don't like it, hallmarks of certain Zimalia incidents."
"Thatcher's bound by the wishes of the Parliament." Nettie Taylor said "We all know and she knows that you don't broadcast something like this, fortunately we've got an intelligence operation underway so we have a chance to get this lined up without things looking silly."
"Good." Serenity said "Because we don't need an international incident, bad enough we get slandered by nations peddling fiction as fact, but we don't want to actually do something stupid."
"We've still got air assets operating out of Katenka trying to find Leopold." Peter said as Serenity's phone rang "Decent enough cover if we have to do something..." he stopped as there was an audible gasp from Serenity "What is it?"
"Astrid's in hospital." Serenity said
"I'm driving." Peter said "Nettie you take the meeting, position air assets just in case you know the drill."
"Yes I do." Nettie said "Now go."

The hospital dash saw Peter and Serenity joined by Peter's wife Renee, the Royal Valtheim hospital wasn't the happiest place for the Azurewind family either this was where Peter's first wife Iona had died, the trio made their way to the childrens wards, Serenity was getting more and more anxious by the second. "Mum!" it was Serenity's other daughter Lisa, running straight to her mother.
"Your Highness." a doctor said "Your daughter's in this room."
"Ok." Serenity said, she followed the doctor to a room where Astrid was sleeping on a bed, her school bag on a chair next to the bed "What's wrong with her doctor?"
"Meningitis." the doctor said "It sounds worse than it is, the school got her here quickly, we diagnosed it quickly and we've got her on antibiotics. We'll want to keep her in for a few days to make sure we've kicked it and there are a few complications which we'll talk through. It's a lot to take in but she'll get through this."
"Thank you." Serenity said "Can I stay?"
"Of course." the doctor said

Just outside the room, standing next to a window was Peter he sighed a little as he kept himself calm the last thing he needed was to have an MS relapse. "Here." Renee said handing him a polystyrene cup "Get that down you."
"Hospital tea..." Peter said grinning "Yum."
"What it lacks in taste it makes up for in substance." Renee said "I hate hospitals."
"So do I." Peter said "In medical terms at least."
"Never had to be admitted to one yet." Renee said
"Let's hope that doesn't change." Peter said "I keep looking at that door and expecting him to come running through it but I know he's not going to."
"He would have as well." Renee said, as Serenity and Lisa came out of the room "How bad?"
"Meningitis." Serenity said, Peter pulled her into a hug while Renee hugged Lisa "They're going to keep her in for a few days to monitor it."
"That's good." Peter said
"Wish I had good news." it was the voice of Royal Press Secretary Hannah Cartwright
"Don't tell me." Renee said
"Yeah." Hannah said "The press know something's up. I've taken about twenty different questions in the last couple of hours, everything from is Renee pregnant to is one of you ill. Give them long enough and they'll find out it's Astrid. I can stall them all day but it might be better to issue a short statement."
"I'll think about it." Serenity said

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2022, 06:44:07 PM »
When Life Changes

There were moments when Serenity could relax and do motherly, parental things and here she was with one such example, it was late afternoon, she was sat at a table with her daughter Lisa helping her daughter with her homework, today it was maths, "Yes that's it... good girl you've got it." Serenity said
"What's today's challenge?" Nettie asked coming into the room.
"Times tables." Serenity said
"Oh the big numbers yes." Nettie said "I remember those." she looked at Serenity "You need to see this."
"What is it?" Serenity asked as Nettie handed her a piece of paper
"Oh some absurdity about war crimes in Clysperis." Nettie said
"They might as well have sent up a flare." Serenity said shaking her head "Talk to Major Parker."
"I've already got the call planned." Nettie said "What about the lackluster Elysium response?"
"Anginer should stop digging himself and Heyra further and further into a hole or he'll pass right through the planet." Serenity said

At that point there was a noticeable increase in sound from across the room where Serenity's younger daughter Astrid was watching the television. "Astrid that's a little loud." Serenity said, the noise didn't abate "Astrid...Astrid!" Serenity got up and went over, getting to the sofa just as the sound got irritating, but Astrid for whatever reason just kept pressing the 'increase volume' button. Serenity took the remote and lowered the volume.
"TV broke." Astrid said
"No" Serenity said, slightly puzzled why Astrid would say that, the tv clearly wasn't broken, but Astrid wasn't the type to lie. Then it hit her, crouching down in front of Astrid , Serenity took her hands "Astrid can you hear me?" Astrid didn't respond which Serenity took to mean 'no' "Nettie could you fetch Maddy please?" Nettie nodded and left. It took a couple of moments but then the penny finally dropped and Astrid understood what had happened and she started to cry, Serenity hugged her. "It's ok... it's ok."

Doctor Maddy Dale was the Royal Physician, she led a small medical team that lived in the Marble Palace and, barring serious medical emergencies, had the job of looking after the Royal Family's health from the medical end though she'd never come across something like this, she knew it could happen but had never thought she'd see it. After a quick examination Maddy smiled "Good girl." Maddy said she looked at Serenity "Hearing loss is a potential side affect of Meningitis, I don't know what I can say beyond that. Astrid's going to need to learn sign language, you're going to need to learn sign language and you should probably get an interpreter."
"I will." Serenity said
"Until then... pen and paper is probably best."  Maddy said
"Thank you." Serenity said.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2022, 04:03:46 AM »
The New Girl

Val Kirby was just an average eighteen year old girl, nothing that special about her a first year at university where she was studying dance, it was just a routine day in her routine week or slightly non routine week perhaps was a better description it being the spring semester she was busy helping out in a few final year student productions, it was one of the first things the dance students had been warned about in fact one of the first things all the students had been warned about - there were parts of the year where you might get asked to help out with things and this was one of those times, so here she was heading to her bike after one rehearsal to peddle across the city to the Marble Palace for her next thing, the official residence of the Achkaerinese Royal Family was probably among the weirdest possible places to have a class but so it was. Locking her bike to the rails provided for students Val made her way inside and after going through the usual security procedure she made her way to the ballroom where she met her friend and room mate Jenny Turner, immediately noticeable because of the blue in her hair, she was a musical theatre student this was actually Jenny's class, Val was there purely to walk the class through a dance routine normally musical theatre students would pick this up quickly but this was a very fast paced dance routine so the class had wanted and asked for a dancer to be present because they just weren't sure they'd got it, this had led to Val because Jenny knew her being volunteered and spending a good few evenings in the build up to this learning the routine herself.
"I was getting worried." Jenny said
"I'm here aren't I?" Val said "Your class really has lessons here?"
"Oh yeah." Jenny said "Right here in the Royal Ballroom."
"Is everyone here?" Renee Azurewind asked stepping into the ballroom with her granddaughter, well step granddaughter, Astrid "I hope you don't mind Astrid's watching today." Astrid smiled and waved as Renee looked around "And you must be Val Kirby."
"Yes Your Highness." Val said
"Rule one of this class please don't use the title." Renee said with a smile "You're here to walk them through their dance number?"
"Yes." Val said "Is there somewhere I can get changed?"
"Room just across the hall." Renee said

A few moments later Val having changed into a tank top and shorts was running the class through the number "Slow, slow, slow." Val said "Then turn and triple tap and then into the kicks and flicks. On the final kick into slow again and now remember this is the Andino tango section so it's tricky little footwork but do it slow the first time and then speed it up, out of the final hold into a triple spin and then finish." having demonstrated the whole routine she spent the next hour leading the class through it to the point that when Renee took over with her planned material Val sat down on the edge of the ballroom stage and found herself next to Astrid and glancing at the girl while she swigged some water she noticed a notebook with what looked like half a conversation written there, then Astrid nudged Val and put the notebook in front of her What's your name? the question read, Val grinned and wrote her name Are they good at dancing? Astrid wrote next, Not as good as they think they are Val wrote, this made Astrid laugh which made Renee look over that was the first time in what seemed like a long time that Astrid had laughed. When the class was over and Val had changed Renee went over to her.
"You're a very good dancer, better than some pro's I've seen." Renee said "I'm surprised I haven't seen you in the ranks at the Royal Ballet."
"Ballet was my first love and I got accepted at the Royal Ballet but lost my spot when I shattered my leg a month before I was going to enroll." Val said "Can I ask a slightly cheeky question?"
"Doesn't mean I'll answer it." Renee said "But yes."
"Is Princess Astrid deaf?" Val asked, Renee looked very surprised
"How did you know?" Renee said
"I did a sign language course while I was laid up with my leg." Val said "One of the things you learn is awareness, the way she's communicating by writing things down suggests she can't hear and that she's not familiar with how to sign."
"Do you mind hanging around a few more minutes?" Renee asked
"Ok." Val said

For the next few minutes Renee watched as Astrid tried to copy some simple tap dancing steps off of Val then Serenity silently walked in and stood next to Renee
"That's Val." Renee whispered "Sign language course, seems to have hit it off with Astrid."
"She worked it out?" Serenity whispered
"When you think about it it's not difficult to work out." Renee whispered "So?"
"Val Kirby?" Serenity asked
"Your Highness." Val said
"I hear you've worked out that Astrid's deaf." Serenity said
"If I spoke out of..." Val said
"You didn't." Serenity said "We've been looking for a sign language interpreter for Astrid, someone to teach us and translate for her."
"I could recommend a few teachers." Val said
"Do you want the job?" Serenity asked
"Me?" Val asked
"You've started bonding with her and you know sign language." Serenity said "Subject to a background check the job's yours."
"What does it entail?" Val asked
"Teaching everyone sign language, translating for Astrid, going into school with her, foreign travel if she goes abroad, playing with her and Lisa." Serenity said "You get a room here. Interested."
"I can still study?" Val asked
"Of course." Serenity
"All right." Val said "My room mate will hate me eternally but I'll take the offer."