Author Topic: Offer of Mediation - Ardian Assembly to Rokkenjima and Daito  (Read 4167 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
Offer of Mediation - Ardian Assembly to Rokkenjima and Daito
« on: February 19, 2023, 01:45:24 PM »

Following the previous few days of hostile exchanges within the Rokkenjiman Sea and the apparent confusion between the nations of Daito and Rokkenjima we are urging both nations to seek a peaceful resolution. With this in mind I suggest that we follow the schedule.

1. All forces retire to positions held at the commencement of the conflict.

2. No aircraft shall approach within 10km of internationally recognised boundaries as established by the FSC

3. Bakkermayan Armed Forces shall pick up a representative party consisting of no more than five members from each nations government. These two parties shall be taken to Edwinstowe where discussions shall commence on a lasting end to the hostilities.

4. Should no agreement be reached accomodation shall be provided in Edwinstowe until talks are either exhausted or the situation resolved.

5. Security shall be provided by members of the Bakkermayan Armed Forces.

6. Any attempt to interfere with the other delegation shall be considered an attack upon Bakkermaya.

We hope these conditions are agreeable.

Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
Re: Offer of Mediation - Ardian Assembly to Rokkenjima and Daito
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 02:30:34 PM »

While we appreciate the support from our colleagues in Heyra the security of delegates in Bakkermaya will be the sole responsibility of the Bakkermayan Armed Forces. We will not permit soldiers from other nations to operate on our territory in circumstances that may require us to us force to protect those under our care. As such we feel that there is no need for observers to be present as they will merely hinder any response if required as it means more people for our forces to deal with. With Achkaerin having input in Rokkenjima via Imperial Intelligence and Security we also believe Gowu should be removed from any arrangements in this regard.

Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles.

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 06:14:05 PM »

The Empire of Daitō, wishing not for war with the Rokkenjiman state, is willing to accept the terms mandated by the Assembly of Ardia in order to assure negotiations between the two nations go smoothly. As I write to you, Daitōjin forces are presently engaged in returning to their positions prior to the beginning of the conflict. Having only sought the security of the Empire, we started this war fearing imminent invasion following the shootdown of our aircraft and Rokkenjiman naval forces entering the islands. Recent movements, though perhaps justified owing to the conflict, have done nothing but to prove that sentiment valid. Nonetheless, as this conflict, for good or for ill, enters its fourth day, and with a desire to save the lives of those whose only crime was being in the wrong country, we are prepared to make peace.

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 09:56:09 PM »

A Message To The Assembly of Ardia

The First Empire looks forward to this opportunity to sit down, discuss the issues at present, and forge a peaceful path forward for the People of our Empires. We have seen destruction on both sides, lives lost, damages here in Southkeep, on the islands; each life lost is one too great to bear. I remain confident in decisions to not feed into an escalatory spiral. Let us sit down, together, and craft together a path to peace and security for all Peoples involved.

Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Following the dispatch of her message the Empress would make necessary preparations for the talks in Bakkermaya. She certainly hoped her performance would yield better results than the Cross-Straits talks which she had helmed. Still, with her determination to see peace, rather than war, rule the day she would enter Bakkermayan airspace with an aura of confidence and resolution. Failure here, quite simply, was not an option.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 12:44:47 AM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2023, 09:59:54 PM »
A pair of EMAC-Airlines aircraft had been chartered by the Bakkermayan government. With a security detail drawn from the Six Dukedoms Security Service and the elite military unit the Horseman of Jekar onboard each they had taken off at roughly the same time. Details of neither flight had been told to the others and once they had landed in Daito and Rokkenjima respectively they waited for the delegations to arrive. Each delegation had their seats in First Class and on the flight back Air Force NCO's made sure refreshments were served. Once they had reached within two hours of Edwinstowe the Senior NCO onboard each flight presented the lead delegate with a letter written by Hugo Lascelles, each was identical.

Quote from: The Letter

Thank you for agreeing to give this course of mediation a chance. It is my hope that in the coming hours or days we can find a path to return peace to Ardia. In order to do so we shall undertake the following process.

1. Upon arrival you will be transported to Edwinstowe Manor Estate Daito's delegation shall be accommodated in the East Wing with the Rokkenjiman in the West. Talks shall take place in the Ballroom.

2. After arrival and an hour to relax the lead of each delegation shall meet one on one with Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles. He will ask each nation to lay out their stances and once he has heard from both parties he shall brief the other members of the Ardian Assembly in attendance.

3. After the briefing of the Assembly delegations shall meet in the Ballroom where an initial proposal based on the Assemblies briefing shall be presented to all parties as a foundation from which discussions shall begin.

4. Talks shall take breaks every 90 minutes unless both parties agree to a break before that time has been reached or the mediators call for one.

5. At all times when leaving their designated wing of the Estate a delegate must be accompanied by a member of the Horseman of Jekar. Each delegation will have a cadre of these troops with them at all times.

6. Talks shall, if talks go past the first day, commence at 9am, halt between 1pm and 2pm for lunch and again between 5pm and 6pm for dinner before concluding at 8pm each day unless both parties agree to extensions.

It is hoped these matters will ensure the talks are secure and productive.

I look forward to our shared success.

May The Gods Be With You and Our Continent Know Peace.

Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles.

As each delegation touched down there was a brief formal welcome by Sir Kenneth Matthews, the nations new Lead Sword, before a convoy of vehicles whisked them through the green forests of Bakkermaya to reach Edwinstowe Manor Estate. Each party where shown to their rooms and given time to settle in before each in turn was brought face to face with Lascelles.

He was in the study that stood above the grand entrance hall and as each delegate was brought in the the Grand Duke was careful to ensure a respectful greeting. "In the interests of transparency it is my intention to ask each of you the same questions. It will give me a chance to get to know the situation from both points of view and assess where the best place to start is. I would appreciate you being as frank as possible, it will help us ensure that we begin without any misunderstanding." He asked his first question. "So tell me about these islands, how many of your people live on them and when did they become part of your homeland." As each gave their answer he did his best to appear emotionless just letting his pen scrawl on his paper. "Thank you, could you tell me why do you think there is a disagreement about them thats only just reached tipping point in 2023?" Again he listened carefully trying to pick up clues that would allow him a place to begin discussions. "Thank you." he said again as the answer finished, "So at present what is the status of your nations military in the region?" He figured this could be the most awkward point. "What would your reaction be if the Assembly suggested your neighbour be given the islands?" He waited sure that would be an awkward response, "What if we suggested no one have the islands?" Again a sticky point, "Final question if I may, are their any assembly nations you would not want as part of a solution, naturally they will be part of the talks but who knows what solution we may explore?"

With his questions answered and notes made he thanked each for their responses and after seeing the final of the two made his way to meet the others representing nations from the Assembly.

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 12:58:43 AM »
Shizukesa would greet the Grand Duke with a nod of her head. “I appreciate your time today and am pleased that we share a common goal of peace and the stability which it gives birth to. Allow me to begin by stating that it has never been the intent of my Government to seek contention over the status of the islands presently held by the Empire of Daitō. This contest, initiated under the Federal Republic and left to lay unfortunately unresolved after the Anselmo Restoration, is one the First Empire has no interest in. Following the downing of Akawashi 304, sadly, the Emperor of Daitō was left in a position where he could only offer me his “regret” at the “actions taken by the Imperial Daitōjin Army in the Rokkenjima Sea. While I have ordered the Imperial Rokkenjiman Armed Forces to maintain restraint, to maintain only a posture of defense, I must have some measure of concern that the Emperor’s actions are dependent upon the whim of his commanders  to some degree. Let me be clear that I take him for his word, I hold faith in him as a partner moving forward, thus the paramount task before the Assembly perhaps may lay in a path towards demilitarization of the islands.”

“With that being said, you had questions,” the Empress continued.  “Suisenjima and Akarishima are, at present, home to just around 17,000 Rokkenjimans, and they’ve been a part of Rokkenjima since 1907. As for why things have reached a tipping point now, I believe I’ve already covered that in my prelude to answering your questions; in some ways, he’s beholden to the whims of his commanders absent international pressure which ensures that further actions will not be tolerated. At present, our military posture is one of defense; while I’ve ordered one Carrier Strike Group to return to base two remain, their air wings have been supplementing locally stationed assets of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Air Force in ensuring the security of our skies. They have strict orders from the Throne that they shall not fire unless fired upon, and they shall not cross beyond Rokkenjiman borders in their operations under the penalty of a full court martial.”

“With your questions regarding who may or may not hold the islands my prelude, as well as conversations between myself and the Emperor, may shine some light as to Rokkenjima’s positions on your ideas. As we’ve a working understanding on the status of the islands already, that the Emperor is willing to formalize borders as they presently stand, I can only say to you no, no, no. The matter of the status of the Islands is already within a reasonable timeframe of being settled, so the Assembly should have no role in that aspect of any peace agreement. I do feel, personally, that there should be no permanent military installations upon the Islands, though we should allow for naval patrols and air assets to continue to provide defense of our respective islands. I feel this is the best path forward and hope that, at the conclusion of these talks, we’ll have something in place which Rokkenjima, Daitō and our Ardian neighbours and partners can walk away happy from. Given that both the First Empire and the Empire have issues of contention with the Heyran Republic, however, I do feel that their input would be undermining to our mutual goals here. I would rather avoid the Assembly allowing them an opportunity for self-aggrandizing behaviour at the expense of both the First Empire and the Empire.”

With her words said and the Grand Duke’s questions answered the Empress had a question of her own. “Following the conclusion of these talks, with your permission, would I be allowed to linger? My predecessors have left me with a slate of issues between our nations and given the opportunity, I would wish to take advantage of my presence so we may, perhaps, foster greater understanding and cooperation between Rokkenjima and Bakkermaya. Is this a proposal you would be willing to entertain, or consider at least?

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 02:37:01 AM »
   It had been many, many years since Sadazane Konishi had been in Bakkermaya; the first and only time, he remembered, was when he was a new representative, back in 2012 as a part of a delegation of the Imperial Diet. He never thought, if he were to ever return, it would be in the shadow of war with Daitō's neighbor. Truthfully, he was surprised that the dispute over the Tokara Islands had even come up again, after ties had been mended following the Patriotic War, the fall of the Federal Republic and the restoration of the Empire. But as his own life showed, the world was a fickle place, subject to change at the whims of time, and thus the war he thought unlikely had come to his doorstep. Joined by Fumito Gushiken, the outgoing Minister of War, and a few others, together they would bring this war, brought upon by Rokkenjiman actions, to an end. Come what may, peace had to be restored.

While the other members of the delegation waited outside, the Prime Minister and War Minister entered the study, ostensibly to brief the Grand Duke on the situation, though in truth it was also to make their case before him ahead of a session of the Assembly. After the Duke had the chance to ask his first question, the Prime Minister spoke up.
   "Thank you, Your Highness, for extending this offer of mediation for the sake of peace. The actions taken by the Rokkenjiman Armed Forces, as well as those taken by our own in response, are deeply regrettable, I won't deny that. In pursuit of safeguarding our nation, we viewed it necessary to take every action necessary to do so, and ultimately, while diplomatic channels were tried, those efforts failed. I do believe, as always, that war between nations is a morally dubious thing, necessary at times, but to be avoided for as long as possible. War between nations like Rokkenjima and Daitō—cultural kin—is, in a way, worse in that regard. But even so, though such an evil has come to East Ardia, I know in my heart that there is still a chance, as always, for peace."

"On that note," The Prime Minister said with a nod, "You have questions, and I assure you, we have answers. At present, the Empire of Daitō holds the islands of Tokarajima and Narushima, as well as a number of smaller islands, islets, and shoals surrounding them. The islands are home to, say, around 58,000, give or take a few hundred, and we've held the islands for... Well, centuries. This particular dispute only occurred after a border skirmish in 1907, which, by merit of the threat of Ardian intervention, didn't go further. After the Great War though, as Daitō found itself opposed to the Federal Republic of Rokkenjima, this conflict reemerged, and for decades we stood in a tense standoff with the Rokkenjimans, who continued to claim the islands and indeed do so to this day, whether by policy or by some legal technicality. As it stands, we believe that the 'Line of Control', as it is dubbed by international observers, between our held islands would make a fine border between our two states, and indeed, that has been our stated aim for the islands since day one."

"Militarily speaking, at present the Empire of Daitō—" Gushiken spoke up. "—is currently engaged in a ceasefire across all fronts, and has, following the successful raid on Rokkenjiman military installations on Gaijijima—Suisenjima, as the Rokkenjimans call it—have withdrawn as recommended to their positions prior to the commencement of the conflict. Present numbers are roughly around 28,000 in the islands, down from 37,000 a few days ago as we move to draw down our forces in the region as a gesture of goodwill. Otherwise, we have squadrons operating in tandem with Carrier Strike Group 5, centered around the Taihō, as well as from air bases throughout the region performing air defense duties. Since the announcement of the ceasefire, I can proudly say that no violations of this ceasefire have occurred. Finally, we of course have CSG-5 in the Rokkenjiman sea, presently operating close to home, as well as CSG-4 waiting in the Dauntel."

"As I am certain you are aware, and as I have already mentioned, Your Highness, it is the Empire of Daitō's position that the present boundary constituting the 'Line of Control' become the formal border of the Empire of Daitō and the First Empire of Rokkenjima. His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor put it best, saying 'Our goal is not the conquest of Rokkenjima, nor territorial aggrandizement, but the restoration of stability to the nation and the protection of those islands which Rokkenjima has claimed for many years.' As such, we will not accept the transfer of the islands as a whole to the First Empire, nor shall we accept the creation of some international mandate over the island. Tokarajima and Narushima are inhabited by our people, and it would be wrong to give them over to another power without even consulting them. Would you accept if, say, some part of Wellow were to be signed away to a foreign power, and the people wouldn't even get a say in their fate? No, you wouldn't. Thus, I must make my position clear: No changes in the border and certainly no Daitōjin citizen forced to live under a foreign flag. To do so would only encourage more bloodshed, more sorrow. The only way forwards is to recognize the border as it stands, for Rokkenjima to formally drop its claim on the remaining islands, and for the islands to be demilitarized for a period of at least twenty years, and, Kami willing, it will hold. In any case, though, I will not oppose any member of the Assembly being involved in the peace-making process."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 12:31:54 PM »
Hugo thanked each of the delegation for their time and went off to his own room for a while to type up a few ideas. It was beginning to get dark when he sent word to the other Assembly members that he was ready to brief them. Once they were all assembled and ready he began. "I'd like to begin by thanking you all for coming here. We're here to discuss the ongoing issues between two of our members and neighbours and it revolves heavily around these set of islands."

"Allow me to bring you up to speed. Several days ago a Rokkenjima aircraft downed a Daito patrol plane which saw a series of dogfights above the islands which saw several aircraft downed. In the following 24 hours we saw missile strikes launched from Daito and a ground mobilisation. Currently both nations have forces on the islands shown on their own side of the long standing division. That is a good step but the numbers of troops is decreasing which is promising. Both nations have moved numerous carrier groups into the area. The islands are populated by just under 100,000 people in total, Tokarajima appears to be the biggest with some 58,000 Daitioans on the island. There exists what is called a "Line of Control" which not formally agreed acts as a border between the various nations and its there that recent clashes have come about. Neither nation is willing to give up the islands but the Daito Prime Minister has stated that he would willingly accept that line as an official border. This was also suggested by the Rokkenjiman Empress. Therefore I think this part is a no brainer. Sadly the Rokkenjimans have requested that Heyra had no input into the decision. I however will not enforce Heyra being removed but would appreciate their discretion during talks. I would however value their input into our discussion now where put together a formal proposal to present to the two parties when we meet shortly. I have a few ideas." Lascelles passed a document he had drafted around.

Quote from: Ardian Assembly Resolution

Saddened by the recent conflict between Rokkenjima and Daito

Concerned that the loss of life could continue

Committed to finding a mutually agreeable path to peace

The following agreement shall be adopted.

1. The long standing but informal Line of Control shall 48 hours after the adoption of this resolution become the internationally recognised border between Daito and Rokkenjima in this island chain.

2. Both Rokkenjima and Daito shall conform to the requirements of the FSC in this region.

3. Rokkenjima and Daito shall withdraw all forces from the island bare a force sufficient to maintain internal security in the region.

4. No heavy armour is to be stored upon these islands.

5. Limits shall be put on the numbers of aircraft stationed on the islands.

6. No Naval vessel may be permanently stationed on the islands. Naval vessels may only stop at the islands for resupply which must be completed within 48 hours or repairs.

7. Each side may place an officer of the equivalent rank of Captain or higher on island belonging to the other party containing a military force. This officer shall act as an observer that the other nation is respecting the military aspects of this treaty.

8. The Ardian Assembly shall form a contingent known as the Rokkenjiman Sea Observation Corps (RSOC). This shall form a contingent of no more than 200 soldiers and 100 civil staff drawn from all Assembly Nations. They shall be free to travel between the islands and provide independent confirmation of compliance with this resolution.

9. RSOC shall carry out this role until 2025.

10. Those who live on the island or have immediate family who live on the island shall be issued a Rokkenjima Sea Permit Card (RSPC). Holders of these cards may travel freely between the islands so long as not considered a threat to national security.

11. A Rokkenjima Sea Assembly (RSA) shall be established with Rokkenjima and Daito holders of the RSPC being given a voice on decisions to be made in the waters of the islands in accordance with the FSC. Neither national governments must abide by the advice of the RSA

"I open the floor to anyone who has any suggestions or amendments they wish to make." Hugo knew it was far from perfect but it at least meant he wasn't going to walk into the formal meeting with nothing.

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 04:46:48 PM »
OOC: A friendly nudge to the other members of the Assembly. Let's move this forward.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2023, 06:07:23 PM »
OOC - Having it been almost a week and no one saying anything about the proposal or speaking to me via any DM's I'm moving this forward.

With the private meeting between the members of the Assembly to view Lascelles initial ideas done people bedded down for the evening. At 8am the following morning members of the Horseman of Jekar knocked on the doors of the Rokkenjiman and Daito delegations to ensure they were ready and at 8:55 am escorted them to the Ballroom. The room was set up with a triangle of tables Lascelles sat at the tip to chair the meeting, the Rokkenjimans to his left and the Daitoans to his right. At the base of the triangle were the rest of Bakkermaya's diplomatic team and those drawn from elsewhere in the assembly. There was a nervous quiet as the two opposing factions made their way in through different doors and Hugo did his best to be as conforming to etiquette as one could be in such a situation. "Good Morning" he began, "Yesterday I was able to meet with Empress Shizukesa and Prime Minister Konishi and I have to say I am deeply hopeful following those discussions that a solution to this problem can be worked out. This solution I believe will stop the current hostilities and ensure the chances of such a thing happening again are greatly reduced. After our talks I attempted to draft a resolution that I hope meets both parties expectations while doing its best to honour what can best be described as non-negotiables. Last night the Assembly where shown copies of this and I asked for their feedback, it is my hope that therefore this will have the support of the Assembly." He passed a pack of copies to the Empress and Prime Minister while Duchess Anna Davison, one of his own diplomats did so to the Assembly members.

Quote from: Draft Resolution
Saddened by the recent conflict between Rokkenjima and Daito

Concerned that the loss of life could continue

Committed to finding a mutually agreeable path to peace

The following agreement shall be adopted.

1. The long standing but informal Line of Control shall 48 hours after the adoption of this resolution become the internationally recognised border between Daito and Rokkenjima in this island chain.

2. Both Rokkenjima and Daito shall conform to the requirements of the FSC in this region.

3. Rokkenjima and Daito shall withdraw all forces from the island bare a force sufficient to maintain internal security in the region.

4. No heavy armour is to be stored upon these islands.

5. Limits shall be put on the numbers of aircraft stationed on the islands.

6. No Naval vessel may be permanently stationed on the islands. Naval vessels may only stop at the islands for resupply which must be completed within 48 hours or repairs.

7. Each side may place an officer of the equivalent rank of Captain or higher on island belonging to the other party containing a military force. This officer shall act as an observer that the other nation is respecting the military aspects of this treaty.

8. The Ardian Assembly shall form a contingent known as the Rokkenjiman Sea Observation Corps (RSOC). This shall form a contingent of no more than 200 soldiers and 100 civil staff drawn from all Assembly Nations. They shall be free to travel between the islands and provide independent confirmation of compliance with this resolution.

9. RSOC shall carry out this role until 2025.

10. Those who live on the island or have immediate family who live on the island shall be issued a Rokkenjima Sea Permit Card (RSPC). Holders of these cards may travel freely between the islands so long as not considered a threat to national security.

11. A Rokkenjima Sea Assembly (RSA) shall be established with Rokkenjima and Daito holders of the RSPC being given a voice on decisions to be made in the waters of the islands in accordance with the FSC. Neither national governments must abide by the advice of the RSA

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 07:28:13 PM »
"The proposal as it stands is fine," the Empress would reply, "however, as the Republic of Heyra is recognized by the First Empire as a State Associated with the Institution of Slavery I would kindly request of the Assembly that no Heyrans shall be a part of the assets of the RSOC deployed upon Rokkenjima soil. Other than that, the First Empire has no objections."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 09:20:51 PM »
   After the Rokkenjiman Empress had stated her opinion on the resolution, Sadazane would speak up. "While the treaty is, in broad strokes, acceptable to the Empire of Daitō, there are yet some details which, I believe, are far too vague. Firstly, point three, which reads 'Rokkenjima and Daito shall withdraw all forces from the island bare a force sufficient to maintain internal security in the region.', does not give an absolute limit, and thus could be left to the interpretation of the nations party to the treaty. While I am willing to believe that Her Majesty, Empress Shizukesa, would keep the number of troops on Rokkenjima's side of the border to a reasonable level, who is to say what will come of future Premiers? As such, I request clarification with regards to this point." He paused for a moment, looking over the treaty again. "Furthermore, section five, 'Limits shall be put on the numbers of aircraft stationed on the islands.' fails to define what these limits are, and thus, must also be clarified. Finally, though it may be a misunderstanding on my part, I would also request clarification as to what this assembly would describe as, quote, 'Heavy Armour'. Other than that, as I have already stated, this treaty remains acceptable."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2023, 08:33:58 AM »
"Quite simply future Premiers aren't relevant to that concern, as the Empress holds "the supreme command of the Imperial Armed Forces", and I feel this situation highlights why that authority does not rest within the hands of an office that is by its very nature fugacious. Specification and clarification of the terms would, however, certainly be beneficial to all parties."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2023, 11:26:50 PM »
Lascelles hadn't expected it to be quiet as simple as it seemed to be going. There were issues to work through but it seemed that was just going to be a case of negotiating numbers. "Without intimate knowledge of the islands, their inhabitants, their topography putting a set number on the number of troops would be difficult. I would however suggest that perhaps we say on Takarajima and Suisenjima (OOC - Couldn't read that quiet right on the map so maybe misspelt) we say no more than 500 troops, with Akarashima and Narushima being limited to 1,000. Again in terms of aircraft without knowing the intimacies of the islands I would suggest no more than ten what we shall call combat aircraft, bombers or fighters, a pair of maritime patrol aircraft but no limits on unarmed military helicopters as I can see potential uses in maritime search and rescue. As for the definition of heavy armour we would define it as being an armoured combat vehicle with an integral or organic direct fire gun of at least 75 millimeters calibre, weighing at least 6,0 metric tons unladen weight.[1]. How does this sound?"
 1. NATO IFOR agreement

Offline Abertone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Abertone
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 08:14:19 AM »
Consul Graziano spoke up, "If I may interject a moment" he began "I applaud what the Grand Duke is suggesting and please let me go on record as saying the Emperor will wholeheartedly support whatever the Assembly determines going so far as to voulenter forces to fulfil the RSOC part of the proposal. I think though we may also need to limit the naval activity in the area. I believe during the conflict a significant number of carrier groups were deployed, thus making a mockery of the concept of limiting the number of aircraft stationed there. Might I suggest we also say that no carrier is permitted within 100km of the islands unless RSOC are given 48 hours notice. I would draw short of a total ban as we can not predict the future and a time may come when on humanitarian grounds in say the event of a tsunami carriers may be welcome to the area."

OOC - Being honest, not 100% sure of the scales of distance involved so if its super close to land or only a short distance ignore me...lol.

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2023, 09:36:57 AM »
   "The Consul's suggestion has merit, and indeed it can be argued, though I will not make such an argument, that in part this most recent conflict's roots involves a carrier, the Taihō specifically, though I will note for future record that the carrier itself was operating further to the west, closer to the Satsunan archipelago. After all, aircraft operating from the ship were involved in the inciting incident. However, though it bears merit, I believe the Consul's suggestion is, ultimately, unnecessary." Sadazane noted. "After all, there are no major ports in the islands which can host our carriers, while, though evidently some in the Rokkenjiman Suprene Command saw it differently, there is generally no reason to deploy a carrier, barring to assist in recovery operations following a disaster, natural or otherwise, so close to the islands. As such, though I acknowledge the merit of the proposal he, despite his nation not being a member of the Ardian Assembly—at which point, I must question why he is present—I believe this to be a non-issue." He paused, looking around the room for a second. "As for the recommendations made by His Highness, I do believe it will work given the circumstances."
OOC: The distance is fine, but I suspect it underestimates the range on carrier-borne aircraft. Also, though I'm gonna roll with the post until someone, be it B or Rob, says otherwise, you should know Abertone isn't actually a member of the Ardian Assembly by default. Otherwise I wasted a headache on the application process.

Offline Abertone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Abertone
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2023, 09:51:10 AM »
OOC - Forget I said anything....lol....unless it impacts the RP too much.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023, 09:55:59 AM »
OOC - Graziano is like a diplomatic ninja getting where he shouldn't be. Abertone get your application in. To keep this flowing though imagine rather than Graziano saying it imagine it was Duchess Anna of the Bakkermaya delegation. So the post can say

"Duchess Anna spoke up, "If I may interject a moment" he began "I applaud what the Grand Duke is suggesting and please let me go on record as saying the Ducal Militia of Wellow will voulenter forces to fulfil the RSOC part of the proposal. I think though we may also need to limit the naval activity in the area. I believe during the conflict a significant number of carrier groups were deployed, thus making a mockery of the concept of limiting the number of aircraft stationed there. Might I suggest we also say that no carrier is permitted within 100km of the islands unless RSOC are given 48 hours notice. I would draw short of a total ban as we can not predict the future and a time may come when on humanitarian grounds in say the event of a tsunami carriers may be welcome to the area."

We can then OOC still have Daito's response ignoring the mention of Abertone. Hope thats ok folks? We'll just wait for Rok's response then carry on.

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 10:34:48 AM »
OOC: Sounds good to me

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2023, 03:34:35 AM »
"Given that Daitojin attacks upon our islands came after I clearly stated to my Daitojin counterpart that our actions weren't sanctioned by the chain of command that they fired their weapons upon Rokkenjiman soil in anger, Rokkenjiman deployments were wholly justified. We are, after all, talking about a nation that stated its intent was to degrade Rokkenjima's military capacity while painting a picture that all diplomatic avenues had been pursued and ignored by Rokkenjima, which remains a gross misrepresentation of the chain of events as they actually proceeded. With that being stated, however, I have no objections to the proposal and shall agree to comply," the Empress said, then returned to her seat.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2023, 01:57:47 PM »
"It is not the role of this meeting to attribute responsibility for the conflict." Xiaoling Tsu, the Chief Councillor of Gowu said "I would caution the Empress against pursuing that line here, this snowballed because both sides made mistakes and that includes the failings of both the Empress and Grand Marshall Rowe, this could and should have been stopped within minutes of it starting and it wasn't. Now in regards to this discussion I do have a similar concern to that expressed by the Duchess, this island chain sits within three hundred kilometres of the coast line of both nations that's well within the operational range of aircraft without the need to deploy, short of humanitarian crisis, a naval platform. So the questions that follow are what are the limits? And what happens if the conditions are breached? Equally I'm questioning what happens beyond 2025 in this respect, it strikes me that we're putting a short term monitoring limit on what could still be a bone of contention, if observers are to be removed then they should only be removed when the issue is resolved not before."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2023, 05:34:39 PM »
Hugo shuffled a few papers and waited for Tsu to finish. " I agree, throwing blame is not why we are here. We are here to ensure such an incident never happens again. Deception is a key part of warfare and I for one can not blame the Daitojin government for their response whether it could be avoided is something for another day. Now to address the Duchess and Chief Councillor. The bone of contention was who had claim over the islands, until now there has been no actual agreed line to act as a border. Article 1 of this charter then creates this long standing "Line of Control" as a formal border. It will be marked on global maps, it will be recognised by all nations on Mundus just as the border between any other nation. With both governments here today saying they agree to that article the matter of who owns the islands is sealed. By 2025 it is therefore going to be the case that this will be no different to say the border between Cassiopeia and either of these two nations. However perhaps we could have a fall back that there must be two clear years with no issues reported by Rokkenjiman Sea Observation Corps (RSOC) before they are withdrawn. As for what happens if the agreement is broken it would clearly be the case that the aggressor would be known by RSOC and we as independent nations could take what action we feel appropriate however it is clear any issue is likely to drag RSOC troops into the situation and as such Bakkermaya would respond. against the aggressor, the issue comes that there are so many ways this could be broken that we can not have a one size fits all policy on that. Now as for distances we have two options. The first is that we make a no fly zone within 100km of the islands, within it the only military aircraft can be RSOC aircraft. Option two we permit a small number, no more than say ten military fixed wing aircraft in the islands airspace." 

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 11:04:38 AM »
   "Simply put, the Empire of Daitō cannot, in the interest of public safety, agree to a no fly zone being established over the islands." Sadazane said with a sigh, glancing down at a document. "After all, the Imperial Daitōjin Coast Guard, which is, I will note, a part of the Imperial Daitōjin Armed Forces, operates a number of fixed-wing aircraft for a number of roles, most notably search and rescue. While the majority of operations could, in theory, be managed by the RSOC, in certain cases, for example, the aftermath of a tsunami or a typhoon, such aircraft, which are vital to relief efforts, would be prohibited from flying into the area. As a result, without provisions being made to allow such exceptions, the Empire of Daitō cannot, in good faith, accept a no fly zone over the Tokara islands. On the other hand, the second option, while having more risks involved, would be preferable as it would not, to the same extent, impede relief efforts should they become necessary."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2023, 02:57:08 PM »
"If I may." Xiaoling said "I can imagine that both Daito and Rokkenjima would have a hard time with agreeing to a no fly zone, however I would strongly urge both the Prime Minister and the Empress to agree to the measure, the overriding concern we as an Assembly have is that this conflict does not escalate further, minimising the military presence of both Rokkenjima and Daito on the islands, as measures within the resolution  seek to do, therefore reduces the risk of escalation significantly due to lack of Daitojin and Rokkenjiman assets being present. Given the geographic location of the islands using buffer zones such as that suggested by the Duchess and a no fly zone would reduce potential escalation to aggression from outside the perimeter which would be seen coming and with more time to address that we ensure that the status quo on the islands does not change.

Turning more specifically to the Prime Minister's concern I would respectfully suggest he's jumped a few steps here, a no fly zone is a military operation, it has a command structure and rules of engagement, it is entirely possible that this will include provision for humanitarian circumstances they simply haven't been drawn up yet because the Grand Duke only floated the idea a minute ago, but he has made his point in a very reasoned manner and I'm sure it will be addressed."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2023, 11:12:17 PM »
"As a compromise might I suggest the following be included in the resolution in place of Article 5."

Quote from: New Article 5

The RSOC will maintain a registry of military aircraft. Each nation may station ten fixed wing aircraft in the region that fulfil combat roles. In addition they may maintain a further ten fixed wing aircraft that undertake none combat roles. No limits shall be place on rotary wing aircraft. Should the officer commanding receive a specific request for additional aircraft to be stationed they may agree to temporary extensions to limits for a period no longer than 7 days, however repeat requests shall be permitted. Any request approved must apply to both nations.

"I believe that this will allow both parties to undertake necessary air patrols to prevent issues such as say piracy or smuggling but also give some ability to respond to search and rescue operations and humanitarian efforts should it be required. The agreement puts in place clear protocols that would, under emergency situations, give the ability for this to be flexible. It falls some way short of a full no fly zone however I would make it clear that the ROSC would likely be operating air assets to monitor the situation in the region and therefore would expect both nations co-operation."

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »
   "While this alternative fifth article is certainly acceptable and it would permit the Imperial Daitōjin Coast Guard to fulfil its mandate with regards to disaster relief, I—" Konishi paused "—do wish to make it abundantly clear that I would ultimately support the implementation of a No Fly Zone, should it prove necessary. After all, was it not the attack on a defenseless Daitōjin aircraft, followed of course by numerous failings on the parts of our respective governments, that triggered this unfortunate escalation in the conflict? And if so, would it not be wise to eliminate the possibility of such a confrontation going into the future?" He added as he looked around the room. "I would argue so, and, in my opinion the best way to do so, should this article fail to prevent further conflict, would be to enforce such a No Fly Zone over the Tokara islands. But we are not at that point, and I believe, as I review the treaty as it would stand with this revision to Article 5, we shall not reach such a point. To put it more bluntly, I do believe it to be acceptable."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2023, 09:06:23 PM »
"This is acceptable, and falling short of a full no-fly-zone is preferable. We've long seen the Rokkenjima Sea free of foreign military assets and personnel, let us see that this episode is as brief as it needs to be. As we have seen no aggression taken under the name of Chrysanthemum Throne, I suspect that the RSOC shall have a most boring task before them, which is good for all involved."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2023, 09:39:51 PM »
Upon first reading of Lascelles’s proposed compromise Xiaoling’s alarm bells were ringing as there was quite a glaring loophole slap bang in the middle of it, she’d waited to see if either the Empress or Prime Minister would say something about it, with neither having done so Xiaoling could only that it had either gone unnoticed or they were planning to take advantage of it, either way Xiaoling wasn’t about to let it go unsaid.

“If I may ask a clarification question as someone who is likely to recommend RSOC participation.” She said “The proposed compromise says that there’s a clear combat/non combat division in respect of fixed wing aircraft which is good. However there is no such position apparent in respect of rotary aircraft, as such it seems to me we are in effect giving the green light to both Rokkenjima and Daito being able to station attack helicopters on those islands, which in my opinion runs counter to our desired intent to reduce the military presence, so surely there should be a similar limit in place here or am I missing something?”

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2023, 12:26:55 PM »
The RSOC will maintain a registry of military aircraft. Each nation may station ten fixed wing aircraft and three rotary wing aircraft in the region that fulfil combat roles. In addition they may maintain a further ten fixed wing aircraft that undertake none combat roles. No limits shall be placed on non combat rotary wing aircraft. Should the officer commanding receive a specific request for additional aircraft to be stationed they may agree to temporary extensions to limits for a period no longer than 7 days, however repeat requests shall be permitted. Any request approved must apply to both nations.

Hugo was pleased it seemed that the resolution seemed close at hand. "Here is what I believe will be the final version of the article. I assume we all agree."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2023, 09:20:15 PM »
"Indeed," the Empress would reply with a nod.

Beatrice Anselmo