Author Topic: Establishment Day: The Commonwealth of Somerset  (Read 5562 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Establishment Day: The Commonwealth of Somerset
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:38:59 PM »

Formal Declaration Of The Commonwealth

To our Friends, Allies, And Honoured Neighbours;

Following a long process of deliberation within the Civil Administration, combined with a series of referendums involving the People of Somerset throughout the process, the Civil Administration today delivered its final act as a body of government.

"Having accomplished the task of guiding Somerset through its transition from Rokkenjiman sovereignty effective Noon, September 27th 2017, the Provisional Government is hereby abolished. Henceforth the Commonwealth of Somerset shall stand proud as a sovereign Nation, the master of her own course."

On October 1st, 2017 I shall be hosting a ceremony in our capital of Bethesda to mark this transition with dignitaries from abroad so that we may forge friendships and relationships with the world around us. It is the hopes and aspirations of Somerset to engage her regional and continental neighbours toward peaceful and prosperous endeavours.

As Somerset formally establishes her independence we see a time of crisis and violence erupt upon our Eastern border, a state of affairs which brings our security under increased threat. This has necessitated the deployment of the Somerset Defense Forces to the Lakhzov border region. As a force which has made great strides in its rebuilding efforts I fear the SDF is not n a position to provide sustained security for the Lakhzov border. I have to this point precluded Rokkenjiman forces to supplement the border as to ensure tensions do not flare between the Commonwealth and the Lakhzov Republic. This is a position the Commonwealth will continue to hold onto until such a time the situation in Lakhzovia presents a clear and definite danger to the People and interests of Somerset.

While I will be on hand for the ceremonies and functions of the day, day-to-day power will continue to reside with Governor McKenna until such a time I am capable of returning to Somerset. However, given the present crisis on our border, I will be remaining in Bethesda to work hand-in-hand with Governor McKenna to ensure the safety of our People and the security of our borders.

In Friendship;

Evanthe Rhodes
Lord Protector of Somerset
Empress of Rokkenjima

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Establishment Day: The Commonwealth of Somerset
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:43:33 PM »

To:- The People of Somerset

The Kingdom of East Moreland considered the people of Seaforth to be our closest friend and ally, to see Somerset once more taking steps onto the international arena is lovely to see. As such I will be attending the Establishment Day along with Foreign Minister Edward Tamana.

We look forward to this day.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

King David III of East Moreland

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:07 PM »

Ministry of Foreign Affairs

It is with much pleasure that we receive news that Somerset has reached the point where it can emerge from the shadows of the past stand as a new independent and sovereign nation.

Lakhzovia is a country that has a deep respect for national sovereignty, territorial integrity and the right of national governments to rule, in order to provide security and prosperity to the governed. As such while we welcome the development of a Somerset able to provide this for itself population, and fully accept the future government of the territory by Evanthe Rhodes we cannot but feel dismay that we cannot rely on reciprocity in this regard.

We are however ready always to extend the hand of friendship and cooperation toward our neighbours. Having been alerted to Somerset's concerns regarding the tensions on your border and the fears of the inability of the SDF to provide sufficient border security Lakhzovia is prepared to cooperate in the border region to ensure that security is maintained and that tensions do not spill over into Somerset territory.

We will therefore, with our allies Saheristan, be establishing security patrols along the border and would hope that Somerset will coordinate with us in ensuring that the situation at the frontier remains quiet.

I would be more than willing to discuss this with you in person, should the invitation to attend the ceremony have been intended to include a representative of the Lakhzov Republic.

In Friendship and Peace

Tesan Ciknije
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Provisional Government of
the Utman Republic

To Her Majesty Evanthe Rhodes, Lord Protector of Somerset,

Allow me to offer you the greatest of congratulations on the coming independence of Somerset. The right of a people to determine for themselves how, and by whom they should be ruled is a sacred, inalienable one, and we rejoice wherever it is seen. Our local region of West Cotf Aranye is ripe with potential for a prosperous future where freedom will reign for all people.

We wish to cement our friendship, and in doing so bring such a bright future a step closer to reality.

Should you be willing we would be delighted to send a representative to attend the ceremony and to discuss formal relations.

Yours in Friendship

Racip Uttaman
Provisional President of the Utman Republic
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:12:07 AM by Lakhzovia »

Offline Comrade Kermit

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Argemonto
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 02:07:25 PM »

HERRENBUCHT: MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

Duke Philipp and I wish to express our congratulations. Since the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Duke himself are really busy we are forced to send a diplomat to represent Herrenbucht at the festivities. However we hope for pleasant festivities and a future success of your nation in every aspect. Herrenbucht is always open for diplomatic bonds.

May the Lord protect you,

Siegismund von Thaller, Minister of Foreign Affairs

La Popola Respubliko de Argemonto
The People's Republic of Argemonto

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 07:45:12 PM »

To:- The People of Somerset

It is a joyous day to welcome our Celtic brothers and sisters back into the world. As such our nation would like to send a delegation consisting of my brother, Prince Lennox, my sister Princess Una and if permitted a contingent of bandsman from the 1st King's Own Gallowglasses Regiment. Should you require anything else for this celebration please inform us and we'd be delighted to provide it.

Best Wishes

King Finley

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »

To: King David III of East Moreland

It will be my pleasure to welcome both yourself and Foreign Minister Tamana to Bethesda as Somerset takes its first free steps into the world. There will be a few topics I wish to discuss with you personally, however, I am certain the opportunity will arise for us to speak. May your voyage to Somerset be peaceful and safe.

In friendship;

Evanthe Rhodes
Empress of Rokkenjima

To: Archbishop Chandra Ashtekar

The Commonwealth looks forward to your arrival as we celebrate this day of Somerset's independence. I have great hopes for the friendship which may be forged between Somerset and the Ecclesiastical State, and cannot wait to have the opportunity to speak with you.

In friendship;

Evanthe Rhodes
Empress of Rokkenjima

To: Minister Ciknije

The Commonwealth does not preclude any nation from its invitation and would certainly hope to see a representative of the Lakhzov Republic present on Establishment Day. While relations may be complicated due to circumstances outside of our control I believe we may discuss mutual concerns, as well as a path forward in regards to present security concerns. Although the path may be difficult Somerset does not see adversity as a certainty in our relations with Lakhzovia and will welcome opportunities to ensure cordial relations are given a fair chance.

In friendship;

Gregory McKenna
Governor of Somerset

To: Provisional President Uttaman

I, like yourself, share a vision for our region which sees the collective voices of self-determination establishing a future of peace and prosperity for all. To receive a representative of the Utman Republic would bring me great joy, however, I do believe our meetings will have to be more private given the present state of the Somerset Defense Force and the growing uncertainty of Lakhzov policy and military actions. If it would be possible I would wish to welcome a representative to meet with Governor McKenna and myself, who would be welcome to stay in the days following Establishment Day for a more formal tour of Bethesda. I take these measures for our joint security and also to ensure we will have an opportunity to speak at length as to the future of our relationship.

I look forward to your reply.

Evanthe Rhodes
Empress of Rokkenjima

To: Siegismund von Thaller, Minister of Foreign Affairs

I certainly understand that business occupies the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Duke himself, and shall be looking forward to the arrival of your diplomat. I am confident that we may build friendship and cooperation between our nations. Somerset looks forward to celebrating this day with Herrenbucht in our company.

Evanthe Rhodes
Empress of Rokkenjima

To: King Finley

Somerset will graciously accept any whom Ui Cennselaig wishes to send to join Somerset on this day of celebration and independence. As Somerset proclaims its sovereignty I look forward to stronger relations between Somerset and Ui Cennselaig. I look forward to this, and future, opportunities to build upon the bonds which exist between our Peoples.

In friendship;

Evanthe Rhodes
Empress of Rokkenjima

The city of Bethesda was alive as its citizens took part in the various celebrations that had been arranged for Establishment Day. Evanthe and Gregory stood ready to greet their visitors from across Mundus, joined by Lord High Steward Koizumi who would take part in a ceremony symbolizing Somerset's transition from an Imperial Overseas Dependency to a sovereign nation of equal standing. The path to independence had been long and, at some points, unclear, though she had every confidence that Somerset had made the right decision. In Urakawa City a ceremony was scheduled to see the Rokkenjiman Flag lowered and replaced with the Flag of Somerset over governmental buildings (save the Office of Illumic and Tripartite Affairs), marking a formal end of Rishiri and its reunion as an indivisible part of Somerset.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 09:07:03 PM »
It had been a long time since the King had been to Seaforth and while the name may have gone he was glad to see it was not fully lost. He had been looking forward to going and due to the nature of the relationship between their Illumic neighbours he had determined to wear his Alpine Cadre uniform, he was rather thankful it still fitted well, except for the pot on his hand from his recent accident. He carried with him several things he wished to present his hosts with, all of which were probably more symbolic than material but he hoped they would show the world the bond he and the Rhodes family had forged would never be broken. As he exited the military aircraft and made his way to the venue he was accompanied by his foreign minister, Edward Tamana had never been to Seaforth but the way his King spoke fondly on it he was rather excited, but he knew there were important matters to deal with first.

As the King spotted Evanthe he walked over a small wooden box carried in his two hands. He turned to Edward and handed the cargo to him before neatly turning back and with his uninjured hand saluting the two hosts. "I have brought with me something I think should be returned." he neatly turned and took the box back before executing a perfect right turn back towards the hosts. "Request permission to return Lance Corporal Gavin MacCormaic's remains to his people." he held the box forward. "The Lance Corporal was evacuated to East Moreland in the final days of the eugenics war where sadly he died, we found no next of kin to return the body too, he was cremated in accordance with our nations traditions, we found a pendent of Helus in his private effects" the King had done his research well, "His ashes were buried in that box alongside members of the East Moreland military as we could not be sure of them finding a home in his homeland. That changes today and it is only right the Lance Corporal returns home." The King knew the symbol would remind the people here that their two folk had stood shoulder to shoulder at one time. The King next took the other object Edward had been carrying it and handed it over, a bright newly forged sword. "Joshua Rhodes visited East Moreland once and had begun making himself a sword at the Temple of Jekar following a pilgrimage, it was never finished. He was held in exceptionally high regard by all Morelanders and so in light of todays occasion we had it finished." he drew the long thin blade from its scabbard, there was writing on the blade, "IN FRIENDSHIP EVEN BEYOND THE BREAKING OF THIS BLADE. EAST MORELAND AND SOMERSET." He neatly turned it and held the pommel towards his host, his persona immediately relaxing from the formal military style. "Don't worry I didn't make it, Max Norris our nations best blacksmith did, it'll never break" he said proudly.

While the King had left the aircraft very publicly along with his Minister a third passenger had sneaked away from the rear of the aircraft a few minutes later. He had mixed feelings about today but had to be here. Rollo MacAllister had lost all his family in the Eugenics War and had become a refugee in East Moreland, like many Seaforthians had when the Church betrayed them he had turned to the Cult of Helus and now returned to his ancestral land a world champion in rugby, while he was proud to call himself a Morelander he still sometimes dreamed he had done it wearing the colours of his birth. He had felt he needed to come back, to see how things had changed, and somehow he felt he had betrayed his kin and as he wore the MacAllister tartan he felt perhaps he no longer had a right. He knew there was a chance he would be recognised as he mingled with the crowd in his kilt and a smart white shirt but the sharing of the occasion was all that mattered to him. He knew had he checked into a regular flight he'd have been recognised, after all at 6ft 9 it wasn't exactly comfortable flying on a regular plane, and so when the King had offered him a lift he had jumped at the extra leg room but had asked to be allowed to not be part of the official party, which now saw him stood in the streets alongside others keen to share this occasion.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:18:04 PM »
Captain Yuki Tyler, stood on the bridge of her ship the INS Sharingan as it came to a halt in dock, it was fortunate coincidence her ship was on patrol just north of the Illumic and for reasons she'd only been told after agreeing to it she'd ended up being the taxi service for the Achkaerinese delegation. Though hours of need to know briefings had done more than enough to enlighten her on what was going on.
"We've docked Captain." Her XO Commander Beckett said
"Thank you Commander." Yuki said "Begin our phase one task but let's hope our passengers enjoy the party before we need to get down to business."

The Achkaerinese delegation was led by Olivia Leonidas the Marqueeza of the City of Avalon and Silverlea Province, she sat in the officers wardroom, it had been where the delegation had spent hours talking through things she was fitting a specially designed earring under the supervision of her sister Maia, in truth neither of them had expected what they'd ended up getting involved in on this one, it was supposed to be just a simple diplomatic occasion but now it was something else.
"Amazing thing technology." Olivia said
"You said it." Maia said "Just remember the plan."
"Already memorized." Olivia said
"Let's go then." Maia said

Joining the two Leonidas's, and probably the most predictable guest on the day, was of course Emerson Ravenswood the Count of Saika and the boyfriend to Evanthe. He was also something of a father figure to Olivia and Maia as they'd lost their mother eight years earlier and he'd looked after them. The Achkaerinese trio made their way to the venue and were greeted by Emerson's adopted daughter Amy, since she was studying at Portworth she'd gotten a ride over with the Morelander's.
"Hi Dad." Amy said hugging Emerson
"Amy." Emerson said
"Relax a bit will you, you seem tense." Amy said
"Wouldn't you be?" Emerson asked
"You've got nothing to worry about." Amy said

The now quartet spotted Evanthe and presumably McKenna waiting to greet people arriving by air it was too good an opportunity to miss so Emerson snuck up behind Evanthe.
"Guess who?" he said quietly, she turned and they embraced "I believe you remember my adopted daughter Amy and this is Olivia Leonidas the Marqueeza of Silverlea and her sister Maia."
"Good to see you again." Amy said hugging Evanthe, they'd met briefly "Is Josiah around somewhere?"

While Amy had been speaking Emerson had looked around the coast was thankfully clear.
"This is yours." he handed McKenna a small box "And this one's for you Evanthe." he handed her an identical box "And this" he produced a third box "Is for whoever the Utman send along. I know you well enough to know you'll be handing out gift baskets make sure that goes in theirs. And a little later I'd like a word with you."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »
The large transport aircraft touched down at the airport and inside had Prince Lennox, who frankly would have prefered to still be in Lodja, along with him was his sister Princess Una. The hold of the transport had fifty members of the 1st Kings Own Gallowglass Regiment preparing themselves, the aircraft was a hive of activity as the men checked bearskins, tied socks up with string and but final polishes on their brass buckles.

Lennox was wearing his black Royal Kerns Commando jacket and beret, a royal family kilt had a giant claymore hanging at the hip. He was standing laughing and joking with the Gallowglasses, a regiment he well respected. Meanwhile Una was wearing a simple tartan dress with a white blouse underneath.

"SQUAD...SHUN!" A loud voice bellowed from the rear ramp of the aircraft as the units Colour Sergeant bellowed. He formed the unit up with Lennox in front, the regiments colours and then the pipers, drummers and a small group of the infantry. Normally there would have been the flag of Ui Cenneslaig but Finley had insisted that their flag would not fly on this special day for Somerset. "Right boys, lets put on a show" even before the ramp had fallen at the airport the unit marked time as the pipers began playing a traditional Cenneg march Lennox had drawn his sword which now was held vertically in his right hand as he lead his countryman through the streets towards the venue.

Meanwhile Una watched the sight and then made her way there by car and waited for the Gallowglasses to arrive. As she stood waiting the sound of the pipes could be heard long before the unit came into sight. She waited for her brother to reach her and then the two made their way over to the welcoming commitee. Lennox made his may to Evanthe and sheething his sword reached into his sporoon. "We couldn't think of a fitting large gift, so after consulting some of the Druids we came up with this." he handed over a single silver Punt, a coin worth less than $1. It was however specially minted with King Finley's head on one side and the map of Somerset on the other. "Those coins are being minted for the next six months back home. As it is tradition to cross a new born babies palm with silver I hope you'll accept the first to be minted.....sadly it won't buy you a whiskey" Lennox smiled, "We also hear you have a few border concerns so the fifty bandsman we've got down there just happen to have packed their camo gear and a rifle or two. If it pleases you they'd be staying on for a month, in the meantime I believe you may be meeting my big brother, so who knows perhaps they won't be too lonely."

Offline KaiserAdolf

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Indera Kayangan
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 07:28:21 AM »

Cap Mohor Diraja || Royal Seal

Zilullah Fil-Alam, Khalifatul Mukminin, Sultan Albrich Augustus Adolf,

To Empress Evanthe Rhodes, Lord Protector of Somerset,

In the name of Allah, the Almighty and the Most Merciful.

Peace be upon you and your people, I am delighted to hear this magnificent news and even more grateful to receive your invitation. In my personal view, the Somerset people is absolutely not unknown to Kaiser Adolf and its people where they have shared their past experiences through hardship and peace with my people and have done many great businesses with us. This is the right time for them to gain access to their freedom and liberty as they truly deserve to be independent and pave their own path as a sovereign nation. Kaiser Adolf always stand up with other nations especially those which are located in our beloved continent of Cotf Aranye when it comes to the security matter of the whole continent. As a neighbouring nation, Kaiser Adolf and the establishment Commonwealth will undoubtedly serve the purpose in strengthening our regional security.

However, it is rather dissapointing that I must decline your invitation because my new government and I don't have the leisure yet since we must be reforming the nation after the recent incident regarding the arrest of our former Prime Minister, Mahathir Mohamad. In addition, I hope that this independence which is given to the Somerset people is absolute and full without any tricks so that they can have their rights to have their own local and independent government without any foreign intervention because we are aware that the Rokkenjima tends to pull the strings from the background.

Respectfully yours,
Albrich Adolf

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2017, 09:17:49 AM »
It was of little surprise to Evanthe that King David and the Morelanders were the first to catch her eye. "Dearest friend," she said as she returned his salute, "It means so much to me that you are here today." As David presented the box and spoke Eva nodded, "Permission is granted without hesitation," she said as she took careful hold of the box containing MacCormaic's ashes. "Lance Corporal Lance MacCormaic will be interned with full military honours as we welcome and respect his return home."

Although she was already holding back the presentation of Joshua's sword brought a tear further out from her eye, "I have every faith in that, Joshua always held yourself and East Moreland in the highest of esteem, and I am certain he would be proud if he were standing here with me today. Through all the challenges we've stood together, at times against the odds it seems, however without you I do not think this day would have been possible. Today it is not a new friendship which we see, but one which lives again."

Evanthe could hear the shuffling behind her though it was too late for her to take Emerson by surprise in turn. Though she had her suspicions today would prove to be an emotional roller coaster in some respects Emerson's embrace brought a gentle smile to her face, "My Count makes his entrance in as wonderful a fashion as always. It's so good to see you," she said, embracing Emerson tightly.

"Good to see you again too," she said as she hugged Amy, "Josiah is with Aunt Euphy enjoying the sights and sounds of the day, though I am certain they aren't too far. Though in this crowd I can't give any guarantees." With a quick text to Euphy she ensured both of them wouldn't be far. "Marqueeza Olivia, Maia, thank you for coming today, I'm happy to get the chance to meet you and hope you enjoy yourselves. While I was looking forward to this day I didn't know we'd have this many reasons to look forward to it," she continued.

McKenna and Evanthe took the boxes handed to them. "I certainly shall, though I will be waiting in anticipation. I was hoping to have a word with you as well," she said with a grin.

The arrival of Prince Lennox and Princess Una was one she had been looking forward to, having fashioned the Rhodes Tartan she had received from King Finley wearing it today as an earasaid. "Prince Lennox, Princess Una, it brings me a great joy to welcome you to Somerset." Upon being handed the coin she inspected it, "A wonderful gift it is, certainly it's worth to us is priceless," she looked to Lennox with a broad smile.

At the mention of border concerns Eva nodded, though the words which followed had taken her by surprise. "I would be thankful, and honoured, to have the bandman stay with us for the month; even with some progress being made with Lakhzovia there's always that fear in my mind, especially with Arstotzka prodding the situation. Thank you," she continued.

Entering Bethesda from the airport gave way to a city bustling with activity on every street, Somerset flags flying from each pole as the sound of traditional music filled the air. A stage had been prepared in the city centre from which Evanthe would deliver remarks before partaking in celebrations with the residents of Bethesda, after which she would be joined by Somerset's guests for the ceremony in Urakawa. McKenna had also planned for a visit to the Halifax Shipyards facility, less than a quarter hour's drive from Urakawa, for a 'special presentation'. It would have to be something rather large, however, if he was hiding something at the Shipyards, which led Evanthe on countless suspicions.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 09:43:07 AM »
OOC: Just giving this a lil nudge.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 10:36:44 PM »
OOC - Not exactly sure what I can post beyond this.

"I think it important we maybe discuss some more permanent measures, I think however that could present a few problems we need to overcome, I mean our friends over the Illumic don't welcome outsiders well to the waters here, and I know at present some globally still view Somerset as a Rokkenjiman puppet, and in sequence Rokkenjima isn't exactly on the Morelander's Helus Day list. I think perhaps some kind of three way discussion if we get the chance could be useful" Lennox said.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 04:09:21 AM »
"Most certainly," Eva replied with a smile, "including the establishment of a new relationship between Somerset and Ui Cennselaig now that Somerset has established her independence. Somerset will be announcing a new lease agreement in regards to QAMB, with a new rate being applied to the annual lease payment as well as a guarantee that QAMB will continue to employ locally for non-defensive duties at QAMB and the Office for Illumic and Tripartite Affairs. With that being said, I will also be pursuing a Somerset 'veto' over Rokkenjiman operations originating from QAMB, both to ensure the safety of Somerset and provide, a hopefully unnecessary, 'check' against future Rokkenjiman governments."

"Speaking with many in our Government it is clear that there is a stronger desire for defensive ties between Somerset and Ui Cennselaig than Somerset and Rokkenjima. This is a sentiment which dates back some time; while Josiah and Joshua built strong ties between Rokkenjima and Seaforth the relationship between Rokkenjima and Somerset is not on such an equal footing at this time. I desire to see Somerset's forces in a position to provide for our own defense, clearly and unmistakably independent of any power for our defense. At the same time I realize it will take some time for Somerset to develop a strong indigenous capability."

"Not only do we have the Lakhzov situation to be concerned about but also the relationship with our southern KA neighbours. Somerset has plans for a new navy which shall eventually see around twenty of our vessels take to the seas, a mixture of indigenous and foreign designs. I believe this could present an opportunity, though I cannot forget about our ground forces. We've a strong fighting spirit and a legacy, but the Fall has left a gap in training, equipment and numbers. I've much work to do in rebuilding these forces and my Government looks to Ui Cennselaig as a model which inspires admiration, and inspiration."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 11:05:04 PM »
Finley grinned, here was an oppurtunity, "You're probably aware that our own Navy is currently rebuilding, we've  some submarines and Frigates leaving our service in the next few months, as such they'll be avaliable for sale, now I know the chances are you'll want something shiny and new but that takes a long time, we'd be happy to come to some kind of agreement to lease the surplus if that is of any interest." Finley was always happy to hear people praise his military, he was a former member himself and was proud of his service.

"We'd be happy to try and support any expansion that you have, be it helping with instructors or even hosting some contingents of officers back home."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
"This is indeed a fact I'm aware of," Evanthe nodded, "and I'm sure an agreement will be something which my Government will wish to pursue. In addition to any agreement which would see a lease of vessels I have another proposal for your consideration. As you know these lands were once home to businesses which possessed impressive capabilities for innovation in their fields; Seaspan, Scotian Metal Works, Ocean Volt, and Raytheon for example. My government will be looking to encourage partnership and investment in these firms in exchange for joint projects and licensing agreements. From armour to hull technology I am certain where you could see these advancements could be of benefit in exchange for a measure of assistance in returning them to their feet again."

"If it pleases you I would wish to talk more, there's so much which Somerset desires as we step out into the world on our own feet. I've made it a priority of the highest order to see diplomatic relations between Somerset and Ui Cennselaig strengthen, while also seeking a strong revival of the relationship with East Moreland. However, I've a speech to deliver and we've two more stops after, so it's best we get moving. I will look forward to an opportunity for us to lay the groundwork for agreements before your departure," Eva said warmly.

As she took her place upon the stage which had been assembled a hush overtook the crowds.

"Friends, allies, my fellow Clansmen. Today we join together in celebration as the Commonwealth of Somerset proclaims its independence from the First Empire of Rokkenjima. While we will be thankful of the assistance rendered by the First Empire to our People in times most difficult this is a period of history we shall be most pleased to leave behind us. Joined by our friends both near and far, today Somerset rejoins the international community subservient to not one power, but as a sovereign nation of equal standing.

Many tasks stand before us as we embark upon this new chapter for our Nation and People, and while challenges await us our People has never been one to bend in the face of any challenge. The Grand Council has laboured upon a fine agenda for our Government which will see our economy rebuilt, our military reformed, and our historic commitments to working with the international community in building a better world will resume. The road before us is long, but if history has proven anything our People have the endurance and perseverance to realize any goals which we establish for ourselves.

"Already Somerset has concluded negotiations with the First Empire which sees a renewed lease of Queen Adriana Military Base and a new lease tied to the Rokkenjiman Office of Illumic and Tripartite Affairs. These leases will provide Somerset with funds as well as jobs, as the First Empire has pledged at least half of all civilian positions at both of these locations shall be comprised of local workers. Furthermore the First Empire will be subject to informing the Grand Council of any operations originating from QAMB, and shall hold the power to veto any operation which is not tied directly to self-defense or humanitarian pursuits. Force amounts at QAMB shall continue to be governed under existing Rokkenjiman commitments to the region

"Work shall continue to see the Somerset Defense Force rebuilt and ready to defend not only our borders, but to work with the international community in humanitarian and peacekeeping operations abroad. We shall work with our Illumic friends and neighbours to support the work which has been undertaken in ensuring an Illumic which commands its own destiny, a pursuit which our People have been engaged heavily in the past. We shall look to rebuilding our ties with East Moreland as a sovereign nation while looking to build new friendships near and far from our shores. To those who would question our independence I can say with confidence that our actions shall put to rest any doubts you may hold.

"I would like to thank those who have joined us in our celebrations today from near and afar, it shall be remembered and I hope that before your departures we may work together on forging new ties between our Nations and Peoples. The People of Rishiri await us in Urakawa City where we shall witness the end of a separation; Somerset shall, once again, stand whole as the last vestiges of Rokkenjiman rule are cast aside. I thank the People of Bethesda for proving to be gracious hosts, and stand proudly with you all as a proud and free citizen of Somerset!"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
Emerson hadn't really been paying that much attention, unlike Olivia who stood a little skeptical and probably with a fairly good reason, circumstances would be circumstances - how much of what had just said had even needed negotiating was perhaps the most interesting thing. But Emerson wasn't thinking about that - all day there'd been something else on his mind, waiting a moment for Evanthe to get off the stage he made his move.

"Amy." Olivia asked glancing at Emerson's adopted daughter "Is..."
"Yep." Amy said "I think so."

Emerson reached Evanthe
"Can we talk privately for five minutes?" he asked

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 05:54:15 PM »
As Evanthe and the delegations prepared for the drive to Urakawa she motioned to her vehicle. "You have twenty minutes," she said warmly."

(OOC: On my way out to work, but wanted to catch up a bit beforehand. ^^)

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 11:44:37 PM »
Watching Evanthe and Emerson get into the car Amy, Olivia and Maia all shared a look
"Well guess we'll know by the time we get to Urakawa." Maia said
"Looks like it." Olivia said "Worried Amy?"
"Not one bit." Amy said "You?"
"Not at all." Olivia said
"Nor me." Maia said
"You're driving Maia." Olivia said

In the car Emerson was sat on one side with Evanthe next to him, he'd been rehearsing this over and over for days. He'd been in a relationship with Evanthe for just about a year now, there'd been plenty of dinners, concerts and the odd day off, which when one considered it was Evanthe had been hilarious, still the majority of the time they'd been together it had been work related. Emerson was credited with mending the Great Chasm as Rokkenjima called it, his job had been to talk to Rokkenjima not fall in love with the Empress, as it turned out he'd done both and over the last few weeks he'd been giving serious consideration to what he wanted.

"A year ago when I cooked for you that day we met, I never imagined that a year later we'd would have gotten this close." Emerson said "All the events we've been to, still not danced yet so we'll have to put that on the bucket list though I advise you let Amy teach me how to dance first as I'm likely to have two left feet..." he realized he was babbling and with good reason considering where he was going "My father used to say never make the big decisions unless you're absolutely sure. Doesn't matter what it is make sure that you're sure about it before acting." He reached inside his jacket pocket and handed Evanthe a small oaken box which she opened to reveal a ring

"I'd kneel but we're in a moving car." Emerson said with a smile and his eyes alive with how serious he was, he had never been more sure of anything in his life "So Evanthe Anselmo Rhodes will you do me the great honor of being my wife?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 02:18:30 AM »
As the assembly of vehicles set forth for Urakawa Evanthe took a glance outside, many times this drive had been taken but not since the days of Seaforth, before returning her full attention to Emerson. The words which would pass his lips would leave her fully enveloped in thought and emotion, on a day which was already rich with emotions competing for her attention and thought. At first she could not believe it, even with the ring in sight, yet at the same time she knew this was true. She opened her mouth to speak several times and while the words were in her mind they failed to be transcribed; blushing, she turned away for a second as she imagined how silly she must have looked in those moments.

Upon gaining full control over her facilities of speech Eva nodded, "Of course yes is my answer, though I apologize it took me such great effort to respond. This past year, all which has transpired, at times I know not what to say, but this may be the first thing I have felt certain and comfortable fully in confidence. Now if I were a Rosari I imagine I'd have asked you myself perhaps sooner. I should have known you'd find some way to make this day that much brighter."

As the moments passed Eva snuggled into Emerson's side, "We'll be to Urakawa shortly, but I wouldn't mind if the ride were a bit longer. Do tell me you'll be staying following the conclusion of the events today?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »
"Well we could always ask the driver to go around the block a few times but then we'd probably get into trouble." Emerson said, smiling as he had his arm round Evanthe's shoulder, running a finger through her hair as the woman relaxed against him, he'd rehearsed that moment so many times over the previous weeks and now he'd popped the question and she'd said yes. He wondered what the three girls he'd raised would say when they found out the answer, after all they'd all known that Emerson had been intending on asking the question "I'm sure I can find some excuse to stay for a few days, as it's a fairly safe bet that Peter's got his own newly wed feeling to sort out."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 06:15:39 PM »
"I'm sure his boss wouldn't protest too much," she replied with a grin, taking the opportunity to rest on the drive. "In the mean time, we should take advantage of the quiet this ride affords us. I imagine the crowds in Urakawa will be just as large, if not a bit larger, than those we saw in Bethesda." To be in Somerset was truly rejuvenating for Evanthe, her engagement to Emerson made the jubilation of the day that much greater.

In Urakawa the assembled delegates watched as the Rokkenjiman flag was lowered for the last time to be replaced by the flag of Somerset. A group of about twenty Rokkenjimans were on hand to protest the development, and while Eva understood their hesitance she remained resolved in Somerset's future. Rokkenjiman rule over these lands was at one time necessary, it provided them the room to develop following Seaforth's fall, but it was never meant to be a permanent status. This land, this people, they could know no master other than themselves.

Another short drive brought them to the final stop of the day: Halifax Shipyards. Taking to the podium McKenna grinned as Evanthe and their guests assembled. "Today has seen many developments, however I've saved a gift for our Lord Protector and People to close the day. Lord Protector, your title is most correct and I feel reuniting you with an old friend will draw that connection ever more clearly. Lord Protector Rhodes, Somerset's free sons and daughters, foreign guests and dignitaries, allow me to present to you the labour of Halifx as SDN Gypsy Dancer proudly takes to the sea yet again."

"Following the Eugenics War she was pretty banged up, but despite the fire of our enemies she couldn't put her under. Today she rises from the ashes, just as Somerset, and I am pleased to present her as the first vessel of the Self-Defense Navy." Evanthe knew that McKenna had something large planned, but she hadn't expected to see the Gypsy Dancer before her eyes in the water yet again. "Thank you," she said, finding words hard to acquire at the moment.

Following the reveal of the Gypsy Dancer Evanthe and the delegations retreated to the local governing office, providing an opportunity for some more private meetings. If history proved to be any template she expected a Morelander to walk through the door at any moment.

Beatrice Anselmo