Author Topic: Mortal Engines RP Idea  (Read 5867 times)

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
Mortal Engines RP Idea
« on: June 18, 2018, 09:37:54 AM »
17 years ago I stumbled across a book called Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve, it was great. It essentially features a fantasy world based on Earth where resources are running out and so towns, cities and villages have gone mobile. The story centre on London as it hunts smaller settlements for resources. Outside the cities are kind of rouge elements like pirates and the like. Its pretty Steampunky

I'm thinking of a TIO version. It's set in a time similar in tech to the early 1900's but resources such as coal and metal ores are running low, so wood has become the main fuel source and you get metal by recycling smaller settlements. I propose that we have it set at such a time as there are few cities left and perhaps continents. So I'm going to suggest it gets set on say "Albion" giant mega moving settlement featuring levels made up of each nation on the continent.

Is there any interest?

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Re: Mortal Engines RP Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
I might be interested but I need to get a clear picture. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

By "mobile" you mean on wheels or tracks, right?

Also, would all nations be eligible for their own level in the mega town or only those in Albion?

What exactly will we be RPing here? The internal politics and decision making of a town (settlement) or how we explore the continent and recycle other settlements? Something else?

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »
This sounds oddly like Chrome Shelled Regios (an anime I stumbled across a few years ago) so I'm somewhat familiar with the idea, plus I'm a bit of a steampunk fan so yeah sounds interesting and I'm game.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 09:17:22 AM »
I might be interested but I need to get a clear picture. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

By "mobile" you mean on wheels or tracks, right?

Also, would all nations be eligible for their own level in the mega town or only those in Albion?

What exactly will we be RPing here? The internal politics and decision making of a town (settlement) or how we explore the continent and recycle other settlements? Something else?

Yeah the cities in the book generally use wheels however a few villages have found ways of going airborne using like hot air balloons. I'm open to any idea, I mean for example a small nation like Nemerie could have been captured long ago by Albion but then kind of formed their own level in the town. Or people could have their own mobile towns.

I'm open to the RP going anywhere I envisaged there being like rumours of a wealth of resources somewhere but there being a challenge to get to them or some kind of shared danger or something. At the moment I'm generally just throwing ideas around.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »
I'm interested, I'm not familiar with the setting but will give it a try.

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 07:58:26 PM »
I'm new here, but I'm familiar with the idea(I read the Hungry City Chronicles a few years back) I’m very interested, but would the concept include discovering/constructing Ancient artifacts like MEDUSA or ODIN? Also, like New London, could nations potentially have a chance (that is, say they were destroyed by something like a nuclear weapon or Ancient Superweapons) to be reborn from unscavenged wrecks? Also maybe add something like the Green Storm or maybe the Anti-Traction League?
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:03:10 PM »
Anyone who knows me knows I tend not to plan too far ahead. I'd say whatever happens happens, we don't need to stick to the books completely so if you wanted to create the Anti-Traction League you could but will likely play out differently.

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 04:58:41 PM »
Anyone who knows me knows I tend not to plan too far ahead. I'd say whatever happens happens, we don't need to stick to the books completely so if you wanted to create the Anti-Traction League you could but will likely play out differently.

In that case, does that mean that our nations get to dump our GDP into buying - let’s say engines for example - but we have to invest for an amount of time in the purchase because the airships need to purchase ferry parts for construction from other sources?  Will it mean that in addition to our military, we can construct civilian airships for freight and construction, and the more you have the faster you can build new layers, defenses, and components?
Also, how will the whole 'eating other cities' thing play out?
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 06:32:43 PM »
It would be about a story rather than a strategy game.

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »
Oh ok then, that works just as well
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »
In any case, when do we start this Mortal Engines Concept RP?
Factbook
SICRD-PAO