Author Topic: An Appeal to the Free Peoples of Mundus  (Read 4993 times)

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
  • Here we go again, baby!
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Republic of Kaedwen // The Commonwealth of Merina
An Appeal to the Free Peoples of Mundus
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:02:49 PM »
Professor Chloe Bital; Chancellor's Office, Merinan International University, Katamba, Merina

The dark office was lit only by the pale light of the laptop screen, the curtains drawn tight against the stormy night outside. Chole Bital - the fifty-something Chancellor of Merina's premier educational institution - gazed blearily at the little image of herself on the screen as the video call connected, she somehow looked older, tireder and more pudgy than even she felt, she thought irritably. What was Charles playing at? She had no idea what the time was wherever it was that he was now, though the call wasn't exactly an unexpected. With an electronic ping, the call connected, and the room was suddenly bathed in bright daylight, or at least the part with her laptop screen in it was.

"Hey Chole" The man on her screen began "Tell me you've got good news?"

"Charlie" She smiled "I do indeed! I spoke with Ed this afternoon, and we're both happy with your last draft. Though he is keen to emphasize that you need to redact our names from the public release, at least initially; the Order aren't strong enough to protect us from Bemba's men, we can't go public. Not yet, at least"

The Ed to which she referred was, more formally, the Most Reverend Eduard Hassisi, the Archbishop of Katamba and head of the powerful Catholic Church in Merina. The Order was the Order of the Holy Sepulcher, the Merinan Catholic Church's paramilitary wing of dubious legality, but now, at least, substantial utility.

"I quite understand" Charlie nodded solemnly, his startling blue eyes gazing at her, his dark features framed by close-cropped white hair and beard "We may yet be able to win the Marshal to our cause, doubly so if we are able to leverage the weight of international opinion... But of course, I would't want to put either of you at any more risk than you already are"

"Thanks, Charlie" She nodded back, before yawning reflexively "Look, I'd love to chat, but I really do need to get some sleep. All this sneaking around, all the late nights... I'd swear my staff must think I'm having an affair"

"Ha" Charles chucked, smiling broadly "Well, go and get your sleep, and I shall set things in motion. And, perhaps, when you awake the world will be a different place, no?"

"Every night I pray for the same" Her hands went unconsciously for the rosary beads hanging from her neck "Maybe tonight will be the one"

"Maybe" Charles finished, noncommittally "Good night, Chloe, sleep well and we shall speak once events are in motion"

The screen went black.

To the Free Peoples of Mundus,

I come to you a supplicant, not for myself - for I have lived many years and have few enough of them ahead of me anyway - but for my poor countrymen who have been rendered voiceless by conflict. Eighteen months ago, the hated dictator Olumbe Nguessa was driven from power, and for a short while we began to believe that the years of darkness were ending for us. But this was not to be, and now my poor country is once again torn apart by war and strife. The ranks of we exiles beyond Merina's shores grows day by day, and within our nation yet more souls are adrift amidst a sea of war.

Pride; it is sinful, and with good reason, and now we find that we must swallow ours. Merinans have proven ourselves incapable of solving our own problems, and so we must turn to the mercy of the international community in order to bring about a peaceful resolution to the current situation. Our struggle is twofold; first, to provide succor to the growing numbers driven from their homes - both those abroad and those still within Merina - and, second, to end the fighting and bring about a peaceful resolution to the war.

To this end, we shall be hosting a conference at our headquarters in Belmont, Kaedwen, to be open to diplomats and NGOs alike, with the aim of demonstrating to the international community the severity of the situation in which our people find themselves, and to explore ways in which the conflict may be brought to a swift and amicable conclusion. This initiative has not only the support of our community of Merinans in exile, but also of many prominent Merinans at home, though these must go unnamed at present, both for their own safety and that of their families.

With my warmest regards, I do hope to see you soon,

Charles van de Mar-Ekembitoto
President of the Free Merinan Association

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
Re: An Appeal to the Free Peoples of Mundus
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 10:59:28 PM »

The Queendom of Lodja has watched as our Albion neighbours have gone through times of hardship. The confusing situation makes it difficult to gauge the true will of the people of Merina however what is clear is that yet more violence is likely to only bring more disaster. As such I am putting in place the following immediately.

1. Provision for Lodjain embassies to fast track visas for those wishing to gain safety in Lodja regardless of nation they currently reside in.

2. Immediate approval of visas for those with siblings, parents or children in Lodja already.

Additionally Lodja shall be sending Lord Besarian Ivanov to the meeting you are putting in place. While we do not wish to put those of your organisation still within Merina in danger we would request prior to the meeting formally beginning evidence of the support your group has in your homeland, we are more  than happy for this to be presented if neccessary in private to Lord Besarian upon his arrival. Additionally we would like to offer a member of your organisation of Patrician[1] rank accomodation in the Palace of the Goddess, thus giving your organisation representation within Albion.

We hope this is acceptable.

Queen Klara II of Lodja
Guardian of Sessifet
 1. I assume this would be general knowledge to people. Lodjain society is split into two groups, Plebleians and Patricians. Patricians have some extra rights and responsibilities. To become one you must have been born into a noble family or have been promoted through four generations of military service.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 09:25:24 PM »

On behalf of the people of Nya Åland  we extend our best wishes to the people of Merina. We believe that the long lasting series of wars need to end and are willing to work with all sides and try and find a lasting peace. With that in mind our Foreign Minister Birgid Strand is willing to attend the meeting. We also believe that a conference of any kind seeking to work out the future of a nation of Albion would be better suited to meeting in Albion. With that in mind I wish to offer Krokom as an alternative venue should you wish to have the luxury of a closer venue and one within the continent that I believe will hold the key to a lasting solution. The Nya Åland Air Force is willing to make arrangements for the safe transportation of any parties who require it.

Stein Ulfsson
Head Gothi

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 10:19:32 PM »

In Response to Her Majesty Queen Klara II

Your Majesty,

On behalf of my people, I am humbled by your generosity. The situation in our country is complex enough for those of us who have lived through it, even I must admit, and our hope is that our activities will be able to bring one of Mundus' forgotten tragedies to international attention.

We shall look forwards to meeting with your representative, and we are able to offer him a private council prior to the conference beginning where more frank words may be exchanged, should you desire details of the more sensitive aspects of our organisation; I am assured of your trustworthiness in this matter, and I am sure that any such sensitive information shall be held in suitable confidentiality by you and your government.

With regards to your offer of a more permanent liaison arrangement, we feel that this is something that would be better discussed in full with Lord Ivanov during our council with him, though again I can only thank you for your most gracious offer.

Yours,

In Response to Head Gothi Ulfsson

Head Gothi Ulfsson,

We are glad that you share our resolve to bring about a lasting peace, and shall be honored to receive Ms Strand. With regards to your offer of alternative conference facilities, while we all are most touched by your offer, on this occasion we feel that we must decline. The Merinan community has been here in Belmont for decades, and we feel that a conference of this kind is best conducted amongst our own people, even if we are indeed so very far from home.

Yours,

Charles van de Mar-Ekembitoto; Foyer, Headquarters of the Free Merinan Association, Freedom Tower, Little Katamba, Belmont, the Republic of Kaedwen

Little Katamba, on the south side of the Kaedweni capital Belmont, had been home to a Merinan community in exile since the mid-1970's, the Kaedweni government having aligned itself with the faltering royalist government in Katamba decades earlier, and subsequently extending this support more broadly to enemies of the Nguessa regime after the rise to power of the brutal dictator. The Freedom Tower, a glittering monolith of glass and steel soaring over the seafront in the otherwise middle-class at best district, had been built at the behest of a consortium of predominantly Merinan-owned businesses and organisations, including the Free Merinan Association, who's headquarters now occupied the upper three floors of the tower, offering stunning views out over the city of Belmont, with the aquamarine of Peniche Bay to the east and greens and tans of the high bushveldt to the west.

The foyer was set up as for a diplomatic engagement, with a large Merinan tricolour draped across one wall and the large glass double-doors opposite the lift shaft wide open, offering unfettered access to the broad balcony beyond. The space was almost empty, as none of the attending press or dignitaries had yet arrived. Charles leaned leisurely against a trestle table well-supplied with nibbles, picking at a slightly-too-small cocktail sausage as he chatted to his companion and awaited the early arrival of the Lodjian, Lord Besarian Ivanov.

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 05:33:01 AM »
OOC: I certainly hope I'm not too late.  If I am, please let me know, and then feel free to ignore me.

The Kingdom of Tytor
Official Communique

President Charles van de Mar-Ekembitoto,

On behalf of Prime Minister Madeline Thatcher, allow me to express the deepest of condolences for the hardships your people have been through in recent years.  It is hard to see another nation go through trials as yours has, particularly in light of the close geographical ties between us.  It is therefore my humble privilege to accept your invitation to this conference.  I hope that our discussion will be productive, and that an outcome may be achieved which is to the benefit of all those affected by your struggles.

If it is agreeable to you, I will be accompanied by my junior minister, Mr. Marcus Belby.  I will furthermore consult with the prime minister on what can be done in the short term for the aid of your people.  I trust that I will have the opportunity to share the results of my consultation following the conference.

Best wishes,

-Sir Gregory Major
Minister of Foreign Affairs

The Tytorian delegation arrived at Freedom Tower somewhat faster than they had planned.  Major spent the bulk of the elevator ride up to the top adjusting his tie, a muted red and purple paisley one his wife had selected before he left.  Belby, who was undertaking his first diplomatic trip abroad since being appointed Major's junior minister in December, spent the elevator ride looking slightly green; Major half suspected he might have had some sort of disagreement with the local climate, though Belby insisted it was just nerves.  As the elevator slowed to a stop, Major smoothed one final wrinkle from his tie (which, admittedly, he didn't like all that much) and hitched a winning smile onto his face.  It took a good deal of self-control not to go bounding out of the car as he had in the lobby of the hotel that morning, but he managed it.  He noticed Belby give him a discreetly disapproving look out of the corner of his eye, but paid it no mind; surely his enthusiasm was not that obvious.

"Mr. van de Mar-Ekembitoto, I presume?" he said upon approaching the man who could only be their host.  He stumbled only slightly over the unfamiliar name, thanks to his practice in the hotel room earlier.  "I am Sir Gregory Major.  I'm afraid Mr. Belby and I misjudged the time it would take to get here from our hotel," he continued blithely, "As you see, we seem to have arrived a little ahead of schedule.  I hope that's not an inconvenience?"
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 09:42:42 PM »
Besarian wasn't particularly pleased about having to fly half way across Mundus to discuss something that essentially was an Albion problem. He at least had time of the flight over to work on a few little projects he had in mind for when he returned home. He had at least not travelled alone, with some kind of conflict going on perhaps he had been told to bring with him someone from the military and having been given free choice had done what any sensible Lodjain noble would do, recruited his little brother. Makar was a Lt-Col in the Royal Signals Regiment despite only having 10 years of military service, the wonders of Lodjain nepotism and its previous rather unfair promotion practices. He had however undergone the Morelanders retraining and according to those who actually knew about military matters was a decent officer now. The two brothers exited the Royal Plane which was onloan to them and made their way to Freedom Tower.

When they arrived they had expected to be the first to arrive however noticed that the Tytor delegation had arrived moments before them. Besarian and Makar waited for Major and Belby to finish their conversation before approaching  van de Mar-Ekembitoto. "Her Divine Majesty Queen Klara has sent me on behalf of Lodja. I believe she communicated with you that prior to talks beginning she has certain....hmm..." he looked aside to the Tytorian delegation and was unsure exactly how public the message from Queen Klara had been, "shall we say need for clarification."He smiled, "Perhaps I can have a moment of your time while my brother here enjoys the company of our Albion neighbours."

Makar turned and smiled at Major and Belby, "A pleasure to meet you" he said his hand extending towards them. "and my condolences for the recent terror attacks. How are things faring back home now?" 

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 10:25:51 PM »
((OOC: Of course not, Tytor! :) ))

Charles van de Mar-Ekembitoto; Foyer, Headquarters of the Free Merinan Association, Freedom Tower, Little Katamba, Belmont, the Republic of Kaedwen

The early arrival of the Tytorians had not exactly been planned, per se, though Charles was quick to make the mental adjustment. The Tytorians could be included in his plans, he felt, without complicating matters overly. They were likely to be swayed by much the same arguments, he reckoned, and had the added benefit of potential susceptibility to the religion angle, hailing from a notably pious nation as they did. The apparent enthusiasm of their minister, too, Charles took for a good omen, although his more cynical side could only wonder weather Sir Gregory's sunny demeanor belied harder intentions.

"Well guessed" He smiled back as the Tytorian introduced himself and his companion "It is a pleasure to meet you, Sir Gregory. And you, Mr Belby" Smiles all round, he shook each man's hand in turn "You both may call me Charles, my surname is rather a mouthful, I'm not sure even my own mother ever quite got the pronunciation of it, god rest her soul! And this" He indicated his own companion, a short, slight man sporting a priest's collar "Is the Reverend Michael Tensi, a special envoy from the Archbishop of Katamba"

"Greetings, Sir Gregory, Mr Belby" The priest smiled, with a subtle bow of his head "It is an honour to meet you both; the Archbishop sends his regards"

"You are most welcome, as honoured guests" Charles picked up, flashing another winning smile "Your timing is a little inconvenient, though that is a trivial matter. We've arranged a... confidential briefing with a delegation from Lodja, which you both are entirely welcome to attend, of course, though I must really swear the both of you to secrecy if you wish to do so. The contents of this briefing are rather sensitive in nature and, if widely known, would put a number of our members in a great degree of danger, I do hope you can be understanding with this"

At this point, the elevator doors parted with a ping, revealing the two Lodjans, as if summoned by magic. Charles turned to them as they approached.

"Welcome, Lord Ivanov" He smiled boradly, as both Merinans offered handshakes all round "I am Charles van de Mar-Ekembitoto, and my compatriot here is the Reverend Michael Tensi. Yes, of course, Her Majesty's assurances..." He turned back briefly to the two Tytorians "As I said, you are both more than welcome to join us, though before you do so you must swear to me that you will uphold the confidentiality of this information"

The briefing was to take place in the Association's Executive Meeting Room, an elegant glass-walled space overlooking the foyer on one side and the Belmont skyline on the other. The sun was beginning to dip in the sky as early evening approached, and the other guests - the great and the good of Little Katamba, plus a smattering of press and international friends - were beginning to arrive. Somewhere, a violin was being played. Three men were already seated there as Charles led his guests through the big glass doors: an older gentleman with thin, graying hair and a Merinan flag pin on his suit lapel; a middle-aged man in pressed military fatigues with a patch over his left eye and his left sleeve buttoned up at the elbow; and, finally, a lank and very sunburnt Kaedweni dressed in khaki. The reverend Michael joined them, the four facing their guests, while Charles remained standing aside, apparently enraptured by the cityscape beyond the glass. The priest now took the lead.

"May I introduce you to the Merinan ambassador to Kaedwen, Jean-Torre Bonno" The older man smiled and nodded, before Michael swept over the other two men in turn "Brigadier Yaya Musa, of the Merinan National Armed Forces" The brigadier raised his left stump in salute "And last, but my no means least, Mr Dirk Williamson, head of the Free State Intelligence Service. Each of us is committed to bringing peace and freedom to Merina, and each of us has a piece to present to you which we hope can convince you of the righteousness of our cause. Mr Williamson, I believe you are best place to inform our guests on the situation on the ground, please do lead away"

"Thank-you Reverend" Dirk gave the priest a deferential nod, pushing back his long curls of dark blonde fair away from his face "I'm Dirk, and as you've heard I'm with the Free State Intelligence Service. The FSIS, if not the entirety of the wider FSF leadership, is supportive of this project; we believe peace can only be brought about at the negotiating table, war simply begets more war. The current situation, in brief, is such" He took out a large map of Merina, heavily annotated, and placed it on the table, facing towards the guests "The Merinan government - that is to say, President Nguessa's Merinan National Armed Forces - control approximately half of the country: fully the Iloff, Anuk and Qast regions, along with the eastern and central portions of Urhano, and a strip across the centre of Biathala connecting the naval base at Kankato to the rest of the government's territory. The Free State forces control the balance of Urhano, between the Little Matadi and the sea, while the communist Peoples' Army of Merina controls the big cities of Biathala, Qarkhoi and Makeni. The National Liberation Army holds much of the south, Bataar and Mbuni regions, including the capital, Katamba, while Pindari guerrillas have risen up and hold much of the east - the Pindar and Xhol regions"

"This much is known, though few details are common knowledge outside of those directly effected by the fighting" Dirk took a pause for breath, producing five paper files and placing these on the table, in turn. Each bore the name of one of the combatants in Merina's war "The FSIS has been tracking all fronts in this war, many of us were doing so even before the inception of the Free State, and these dossiers contain selected crimes, and evidence thereof, of crimes committed on all fronts by all parties. Here, for example" He picked up the folder marked 'Merinan National Armed Forces' and flicked through apparently at random "The government holds the port of Qarkhoi under siege, and here we have pictures showing their warships bombarding the city, and below is an image of the aftermath of one of the strikes" The picture showed a small market square in chaos, blood and gore abundant, with a smoking crater in the road "Five people were killed in that attack, all civilians" He flicked to another page "This report details an action in the east, where the MNAF were attempting to drive up the Pindar valley towards Qandaris in the early days of the war" There were two photographs in the pack - one showing half a dozen young Pindari men shackled naked to meathooks, suspended above the ground while uniformed soldiers beat them savagely, while the other showed a trench of a barren hillside where a pair of militants lay in grotesque poses, a government trooper kneeling beside them in a gas mask "These images were taken by an MNAF intelligence officer whom we later captured near Qarkhoi, showing torture and possible use of chemical warfare agents against Pindari separatists"

"There are hundreds more like this" He placed the dossier down, picking up the one labelled 'Free State Forces' in its place "Even my own side, I am sad to say, have a far from spotless record. Look here" Another page at random, a picture of a village below the Drakkenbjorg. Bodies in the street, one with a rifle, more without "Badikaha, a village just behind government lines in Urhano. An FSF strike against an enemy communications centre killed sixty-three noncombatants. Some killed in the crossfire, some not. Charges were brought against the commander of the operation, though no one was ever convicted. I could go on, but I think I'd really just be labouring the point. It's a bad kind of war, there's some real savagery here, and innocent people are dying"

"The international community has already intervened once in the region over less" He continued "And the action in Marsailles was both righteous and decisive. The people of Merina are now in their hour of need, and deserve no less than their neighbours"

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 07:22:21 PM »
Besarian said nothing while looking through a few of the different folders to see that the hosts hadn't stacked the folder with their own favourite cases. He passed a few to his brother Makar who absored some of the information before putting the folder back on the table. "I think what you fail to mention regarding Marseille is two things." Besarian began, "First it was clear there what the people of the then Duchy wanted, they wanted an end of the Duchess Alys being in control of their nation. It became even more clear when the fighting began that what direction the people wanted to go in. What you have presented us here with today is a situation where five different factions are fighting, meaning potentially five different aims. What is there to say that if we had gone to say the Communist People's Army they wouldn't have been equally as honest as you and yet also claim to speak on behalf of the people of Merina? So far all you have is me believing that measures need to be put in place to halt the war but not to support you? That is what we asked for evidence of, the fact that you can claim to legitimately be a voice for the people of your nation."

Makar nodded along with his brother. "The situation you have described would seem to indicate a solution will require boots of sorts on the ground, while I believe the  Alanders are due to arrive I would think that discussion best had when they arrive. Furthermore to ask us to perhaps send our armed forces to you in a co-ordinated plan when upon our arrival we may find the other factions more supported would be risky. I think the Queen is going to expect reassurances of your ability to represent the people you claim to be."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 11:22:10 PM »

Charles continued to gaze out at the city beyond the glass as the conversation continued, remaining aloof framed in the azure glow of the evening sun reflecting off the distant sea. Dirk, still smiling, gave a deferential half-glance in the direction of the Reverend. Michael glanced back, and now took up the call.

"I think, my Lord" He began with a smile "That you rather misunderstand our position. We are here representing the Free Merinan Association, and this is what we are seeking to achieve. A free Merina; free from the blight of war, free from the scourge of tyranny, and free from the shadow of fear. Even between those of us here in this room, I cannot say that there is much agreement as to what is best for our country beyond this, save that it ought be decided with the tip of a pen, not the tip of a bayonet" A second's pause for emphasis, then he continued "As for what it is that the people want, if any man claims to you that he can say precisely what it is that near enough two-hundred million souls desire, then that man he is a liar. In my life I have traveled the length and breadth of our country, and in this ministered to a great many people, humble folk and great men alike. Be they humble tribesmen or urban professionals, weather they sleep on a feather mattress or a pile of newspapers, or weather they pray to God or Odin, though their hearts may all hold differing desires, not one of them stands to gain a thing from this war, nor the warlords who would destroy what they seek to control"

"Though" He added, producing an envelope closed with the Archbishop's seal from an inside pocket "If it please you, my Lord, I do have here a letter which may sway you. While we may not be able to speak for all Merinans, some of Merina's sons and daughters may lend their own voices to ours" He handed the envelope to Besarian "Please, my Lord, do open it"

Inside, under the Free Merinan Association's letterhead, was written a lengthy declaration underlining a commitment to ending the war, breaking the power of the warlords and thereafter forging a free and democratic society for the benefit of all Merinans. This was the Association's mission statement, as was laid down in the yellowing constitution documents proudly displayed in the foyer. Like the Association's constitution, this document was also undersigned; four pages worth. In addition to the signatures of those present, the Most Reverend Eduard Hassisi, Archbishop of Katamba, had left his spidery mark on the paper, as had the Chancellor of the Merinan International University, Chole Bital. Further down the list were more notables: the head of the Merinan Red Cross, Kubu Ngei, had made his mark, just above that of Jonathan Ouko, a famous former footballer and anti-poverty campaigner; the human rights lawyer Hope Ngoyo had signed, alongside her brother Julius, a prominent journalist. One of the Merinan People's Army leaders - the left-socialist Noah Tergat - was on the list, alongside a handful of officers from the Merinan National Armed Forces and National Liberation Army.

They were one-hundred in all - a fraction of the Association's full membership - though these had been selected, both for their prominence and the fact that almost all were currently inside Merina. After allowing a brief pause to allow the letter to circulate and be digested, Michael continued.

"While I may not, indeed, be able to speak for all Merinans, I can certainly speak for those who have made their positions clear. I must insist, however, that the contents of this list is not shared beyond this room; a great many of these good people would find themselves at grave personal risk, should their support for our effort become known. If you wish to make contact privately, then I cannot stop you, though I would urge you to be discreet in this; all are good people, and I should hate for harm to come to them on our account"

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 10:01:49 PM »
"So assuming we prove this is the stance on the ground at present this leaves us with another pair of dilema's. The first is simple, what exactly do you imagine that ourselves, Tytor, and should they arrive the Alanders can do to end this and the second point is based on experience seeing other similar circumstances. When Marseille went crazy a plan for the future was put in place by the Alanders and Real Marseille, as a result the transition from war to peace ran smoothly. Similarily when Academica descended into a multi way civil war and the Morelanders intervened they already had in place a strategy for what should happen next, as such both transitions went smoothly. Whereas when Safraen had its crisis there was no exit plan so to speak of, as such we saw chaos descend and then years later further bloodshed. What do you see as the end game?" Besarian asked.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 06:03:07 AM »
Spoiler: show
"Mr. van de Mar-Ekembitoto, do forgive our late arrival," McKenna said as he and Yuna entered the room. Taking note of the space near the Tytorian delegation McKenna and Lady Yuna made their way and seated themselves beside them. "On behalf of the First Empire I hope that we may be of assistance in restoring tranquility and harmony within your borders. Albion has, at times, been a continent which has seen such stark divisions and it is most unfortunate to see it happen yet again. I'm certain our Tytorian friends may speak well of our dedication to the values of self-determination and aiding those who find themselves in need, because that is always the right thing to do when you have the capacity to be a part of the solution."

"Joining me today is Lady Yuna, Grand Maester of the Rosari Faith. She is very much interested in the humanitarian aspects and any role the Rosari Crusaders may play in lending a helping hand. I've seen the work the Rosari are capable of, and read the reports of their actions following the close of the Second Patriotic War in Rokkenjima. Their desire and dedication to help all Peoples will be of great service to you as we move forward."

"Please, don't allow us to interrupt any further. I'm certain our Tytorian colleagues may bring us up to speed upon what has transpired thus far."

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:36:57 AM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 07:08:51 AM »
OOC: This post takes place immediately prior to the one Beatrice posted before it.

As Major listened to first the Merinan presentation and then the following discussion, he couldn't help feeling ashamed that nothing had been done before to help these people.  He'd agreed to the terms for sitting in on the meeting with the understanding that "secrecy" allowed for informing Prime Minister Thatcher (as well as the king, potentially) of the proceedings; though he hadn't gone as far as outright stating it, he figured that would be obvious.  Now, though, he felt compelled to speak up.

"This really is quite a serious affair, isn't it?" he asked rhetorically, "I have to wonder if this might not be bigger than just Albion.  In fact," he continued, "I suspect a rather more international coalition may be needed if we hope to effect change from the outside.  With all due respect, the action in Marseille did not work just because of the Ålanders; there was considerable help from a host of other nations, including, if memory serves, at least token involvement from Rokkenjima, Achkaerin, and East Moreland.  I would suggest that this meeting is little more than a start toward something similar happening in Merina."  He paused for a moment, considering his words carefully.  "If I might be so bold as to offer my take on the endgame of which our friend from Lodja speaks, if I were a member of the Free Merinan Association, I would hope to see some sort of convention for the drafting of at least a new constitution.  I will note that, as is the nature of such things, nobody will be certain to be completely happy with all the outcomes of such a plan, but compromise is the heart and soul of democratic politics, and it will be necessary if peace is to be assured."
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 09:44:16 PM »
OOC- Hope this is OK to take the liberty of having arrived at some point earlier.

Birgid Strand had slipped into the meeting once it had begun and had kept herself largely confined to scribbling notes. "If Mr.van de Mar-Ekembitoto may allow me a moment to speak." She waited for his acknowledgement. "I believe that any decision here today should one that passes through the Albion Council before becoming actionable. You talk about wanting to bring things to a close in your homeland and to do that is going to require a significant amount of pressure and co-operation. Rather than a collective of random nations having the approval and backing of a regional assembly will I believe add an air of officialdom to the situation and perhaps put pressure on those embroiled in combat. I see around the table ourselves, Lodja and Tytor, three of the main contributors to the Council, I am sure with Lodja and ourselves onboard we could utilise our connections through TUNA to bring Paracambi and Bakkermaya who are also members of the council onboard." She paused, took a sip of water before ticking off her first bullet point before continuing, "Now as Sir Gregory stated, it was a multi-national organisation which carried the bulk of the fighting in Marseille, East Moreland, Dijel, Achkaerin, Seaforth, all carried the majority of the fight, however Lord Besarian is correct in saying that it was our road map towards a resolution that worked. It was in place prior to an end of combat operations and ensured a smooth transition from a war footing to Marseille becoming a stable democracy. I think that before we take things to the Albion Council we should attempt to fashion out a road map here assuming that the Albion nations present would be willing to provide some peacekeeping or if necessary combat troops to see things through. Then should we be able to persuade the likes of Bakkermaya and Paracambi to join with us we can add to our strength"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2020, 11:34:30 PM »
OOC - as per usual just sneaking in here up to Dijel if he minds or not.

Rhian Kennedy, the Vice Consul of Achkaerin or what might be referred to as Vice President or Deputy Prime Minister in other countries had been a very much last minute arrival, didn't help that the storm season back home was imminent and that had implications in a few areas such as travel but at least she'd been able to make it though this was probably taking the notion of fashionably late to the extreme. She had one advantage which was that she had a close working relationship with her Kaedwen counterparts. She was shown into the meeting room.
"Sorry I'm a little late I believe the appropriate reason would be it's not a good idea to argue with a storm. Please carry on I'll catch up." Rhian said she took a seat and was brought up to date by the person sat next to her, Rhian's eyes narrowed a little as she surveyed the Merinan's in their midst.

"If I may just query something." Rhian said after allowing a moment for silence following Birgid's contribution "I agree with pretty much all of what Ms Strand has just said but if I may make an observation one of the key components to any road map is going to be stopping the fighting right off the bat. Now as I understand it our friends from Merina represent different factions from within that nation but unless I'm missing something, and I was delayed in getting here so it's not beyond the realms of possibility, none of them represent what might be considered the government - is that fair? In which case we may just need to bear in mind the implications of them not being here and the effect that has on what we develop."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
((OOC: Of course I don't mind! The more the merrier! I'm hardly in a position to criticize response times  ;) ))

Michael listened intently to each of the representatives speak in turn, nodding occasionally and making a few sparing notes of his own in a spindly hand. A brief moment after Rhian finished speaking, he placed his pen firmly back on the table with sideways glances at Jean, Yaya and Dirk, who had each been reading over his shoulder and each, in turn, nodded quiet assent.

“Thank you all for coming to recognise the gravity of the situation with which we are dealing” He responded with a grim half-smile “Likewise, we do understand that an unplanned and ill-considered intervention would be just as like to harm as good, and have prepared a draft outline for practicable action which we feel would ameliorate the situation. Jean, if you could, please…”

“Yes, certainly” The ambassador nodded, passing round a sheaf of print-outs entitled ‘The Twin-Track Solution’. After another brief pause to allow the group to read and at least partially digest the information presented, he continued:

“We are convinced that fast action will save lives, though we concur with your concern that such fast action could potentially be harmful if the ramifications are not given due consideration. Therefore, the plan which we propose is for a graduated response, one which will aim to balance between being too strong and too soft. We hope that, with some encouragement from the international community, the warring factions in Merina could come around to our way of thinking, though we recognise that it would be naïve to presume that all would do so without compulsion”

“Therefore, this twin-track solution – which our intent is to publish, so as to make clear that more… stringent measures will be brought to bear against those who would continue with their crimes – allows for both situations to occur, in various quarters, simultaneously”

“With regards to the Council of Albion, we would happily supplicate our proposals before the Council, though the concern would be that this becomes an overly-involved process, and that it could delay the enaction of measures which would provide a vital lifeline to many. Therefore, I would like to propose that initial measures be put in place with immediate effect, while those which are not so pressing – and particularly those pertaining to the post-war settlement – be brought before the Council for the more thorough cross-examination which befits such long-term planning”

“Though, dependant upon developments on the ground and the speed at which the Council of Albion completes its deliberations, it may become necessary to act initially outside of this framework, and I would prefer if we did not rule such out, for use in contingencies”

"With regards to your reference to the Merinan National Government, Madame Vice-Consul, I would not expect overmuch. We shall see to it that President Nguessa gets his opportunity to defend his actions with words, and I suggest that the Council of Albion may be a perfectly good forum for this to take place" The normally placid diplomat almost looked angry for a moment, though this soon passed "Personally, and as a servant of the Merinan state, I consider the man to be a monster; he deserves to be hanged, and I'm sure he'd say the same of myself and Yaya if he knew where we were or what we were doing, hence the security that we are attaching to this meeting"

Quote from: The Twin-Track Solution
1) Immediate call for ceasefire-in-place
1A) IF accepted - international monitoring commission to ensure terms are respected
1B) IF NOT accepted - request for limited international intervention (no-fly zone, anti-blockade measures, humanitarian assistance)

2) Negotiated settlement; COA to help facilitate multilateral disengagement and gradual demobilization
2A) IF accepted - combatant forces to withdraw from combat areas, gradual reduction of all forces to peacetime establishment
2B) IF NOT accepted - international peacekeeping forces to be mandated to establish 'safe zones' within Merinan territory

3A) IF hostilities at an end, Constitutional Convention to take place to determine shape of future Merinan State - key questions to be answered by Plebiscite
3B) IF hostilities NOT at and end, 'disengagement zones' to be established, with international forces mandated to engage combatant forces advancing beyond their allotted zones

4A) Constitution to be completed and signed based upon outcomes of Constitutional Convention and Plebiscite; interim transitional government to serve for no more than two years before elections take place
4B) Where combatants have been forcefully disengaged, unilateral disarmament to be requested, with a reasonable period allowed for this. General amnesty to be offered to combatant soldiers upon desertion or surrender.

5B) Where factions do not permit citizens, or their representatives, from engaging in either the Constitutional Convention or the Plebiscite, international forces to be mandated to facilitate this.
5B1) When in the process of facilitating either Constitutional Convention or Plebiscite, international forces to be mandated to engage and destroy any forces as is necessary to allow citizens to partake in these processes in a safe and inclusive manner

6B) As (4A), interim government to administer disarmament for a period of no more than two years
6B1) Any such armed factions or groups so remaining to be given reasonable period to surrender their arms and return to civilian life, or take service under interim government under such terms as are offered
6B2) Any such groups declining to disarm or take service are to be neutralized with such alternative means as are required to do so, including force once all other options are exhausted

7A/B) International forces begin graduated withdrawal once no longer required; funds to be made available for reconstruction works to begin with immediate effect

8A/B) Elections to take place within two years of constitutional ratification

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2020, 11:11:42 PM »
Besarian took a copy of the document and read it through before starting. "I would not worry about the Council of Albion being a stumbling block, or as you called it an overly-involved process." The Council was made up of Lodja, Nya Åland, Bakkermaya, Dartfordia and Tytor[1] "As such we currently have three of the five members around this table, I therefore believe we can carry any vote in that organisation easily if we all get on the same page here today." He looked at the representative of Nya Aland and then of Tytor hoping he would see them in agreement.

"Now looking at your proposed we have a few issues. The first is that you told us earlier that this is a conflict with many many sides. I would ask the question about what happens if some parties accept this and not all. For example if two of the parties don't agree to a ceasefire and the others do then the establishment of no fly zones and the rest starts to become a complex operation. Might I propose we make a No-Fly Zone a ceasefire condition and that this is enforced across the whole of the nation. This will stop any supplies being moved around by air and as we know carrying out air strikes can be a devestating act of horror when targetted at civilians. By grounding all aircraft we take away a weapon in the conflict from all and make this easier to enforce. In regard to creating that zone I would urge us to contact Marseille and if they are not willing to carry out military action perhaps our Alander friends here can call in a favour. If they agree we could use airfields there, in Lodja, Aland and Tytor and we could enforce this no fly zone over the whole of the nation. If then this ceasefire which includes a no-fly zone is rejected we can up the anti to try and impose it as your proposal suggests."

"As for stage 2 I believe we have a missed step. We must if people are going to withdraw from combat areas begin to define where these are. As such might I suggest that those with the capability begin focusing on drawing up details of positions occupied by each faction, seperate to the information our hosts are giving us. I for one will, if we all agree, ask the CNN to task their image satellite SuperEye to the region. We can then state where people must withdraw too and should they not we can identify safe zones we would like to set up."

"Stage 3 I would like to see in writing a list of people to be involved in this Constitutional Convention, if people see they have a seat at the table they are more likely I believe to put down their guns and take up their offer of that seat. If this is not accepted or in place then we should at that point have the Council of Albion look at appointing a military commander or co-ordinator to ensure we're all singing from the same hymn sheet, I believe that as once this is released as a document things could move quiet quickly we should look at that sooner rather than later."

"I have few issues with the rest of the document" Besarian put his copy down. " I also would be able to say here and now that Lodja would be willing to help enforce the no-fly zone and put boots on the ground if needed. We would however insist that the commander of any military action is from Albion."

1. Tytor isn't officially listed on the Council of Albion thread, although I believe they were before the extended LOA so I assume they'd still be members. If that's not the case just imagine Tytor is left of that list and the number adjusted accordinly.

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2020, 09:03:50 PM »

Jean-Torre took this all in and, with a quick confirmatory glance at Michael - this was indeed Jean's area of expertise - responded quickly.

"That is a relief, certainly" He smiled "In which case, we have no cause to object, and will be glad for any agreement reached here to go before the Council for approval"

"As for the specifics of implementing a no-fly zone" He continued, wrinkling his brow "This is far from my area of expertise, but I do feel that your argument has merit; simplicity in these things, everyone knowing exactly where they stand, can only be a good thing. With regards to partial acceptance of ceasefire terms we have a more prepared concept: that we make clear that any side which accepts the ceasefire and withdraws its forces from the battlefield, or is in the process of doing so, will receive the support and assistance of the allied forces if it comes under attack. While we would see this include anything up to and including troop deployments in strength, we believe that the deterrent effect of such a declaration would all but preclude any such offensive action occurring"

"With regards to the possibility of utilizing the SuperEye system..." He mused "We had not even considered the possibility, though it would most certainly be a most fantastic asset if it could be brought into play. We would be most indebted to you if you could make such an enquiry. As for Stage 3, we presently have no such list per se, and had intended to employ a system of local representation - with representatives from each town or district, for example - rather than engage with the warlords directly. Though, again, you may have a point in that they may be more inclined to come quietly if they're given a stake in the Convention, I'd hesitate to give any of them too great an influence, lest they retain their power and the situation not really be resolved"

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 07:12:14 PM »

"Are we in agreement?" Michael prompted, at length "Are we all happy to see this go before the Council of Albion?"

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 08:20:19 PM »
OOC- If no one has anything to add to Besarian's ideas I'll have him present them to the Council of Albion on Monday RL