Author Topic: Question Time (The Show)  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Question Time (The Show)
« on: January 17, 2019, 11:52:43 PM »

OOC Explantion:

Question Time is in RL terms a weekly political panel show in the UK where members of the public ask questions of a panel of five people which usually features three politicians and two others e.g. business people, international figure, journalist etc. Most of the topics (not counting the last two years of one particular issue) are of a more domestic nature with international implications I imagine that as Mundus tends by the way the RP falls to be more internationally focused that there will be a stronger international focus but I'll try and mix domestic issues in.

Anyone may propose Questions for discussion in the question thread found here

The show will air (hopefully) once a week and will (again hopefully) cover a variety of subjects.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Question Time (The Show)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 05:24:47 PM »
Scott Booth (host): Good evening and welcome to Question Time which tonight comes from Foxton. On our panel tonight Senator for Foxton Lake and Minister of Culture Bonnie Harper, the Shadow Minister of Foreign Affairs Nick Lewis, Leader of the Liberal Party Ajax Semantar, Foreign Affairs Advisor to the Emperor and former Premier of Rokkenjima Nettie Taylor and the student project supervisor at the University of Artaxia Luke Ayanami.

Applause

Scott Booth: We've got a lot to get through tonight so we'd better crack right on and get straight to it with our first question which tonight comes from Vallis Daily journalist Maria Quentinos who asks "do Cultists need extra protection following the scenes in Royal Seleucid and the Terror Attacks in Saburi?" Bonnie Harper?

Bonnie Harper: Well I think firstly we should say that the thoughts of Achkaerin are with the families of those affected by those incidents and of course by association of the Saburi situation to the family of King Leonard, it's utterly tragic. Do Cultists need extra protection? Well I certainly hope they don't, in terms of Royal Seleucid this is part of the Midaranye perfect storm, we have a food shortage brought about by a locust storm, that's the primary concern and with the Joint Emergency Team now going into action we have to see what happens when we satisfy that hunger. You've also got Tim Carpenter heading back to the Celtic Protectorate so there's every reason to be hopeful that the situation will not escalate to the state of a couple of years ago and the Cult of Helus genocide. Looking at Saburi you have a terrorist group running around bombing the place and causing trouble. Now let's be clear this is the same terrorist group that has claimed to have assassinated King Leonard, there's no question of extra protection for Cultists as far as they're concerned you find the people responsible for the act and you make sure they feel the full weight of the law.

Scott Booth: Nick Lewis

Nick Lewis: Religion's a big fault line for dispute isn't it? The answer isn't clear cut Bonnie's said she hopes they don't, I think they possibly do because we've been down this road before we've seen mass murder of Cultists in Royal Seleucid and we've seen that the WMRA is at most only mildly inconveineced by the Vaguzian authorities. If what's being done isn't working then you need to change what you're doing to try and remedy the problem.

Bonnie Harper: But you also need to be mindful of fuelling extremism

Nick Lewis: And that's a fair point but it's far better to look silly than it is to see something happen and not be able to do something about it.

Scott Booth: Ajax Semantar

Ajax Semantar: I'm originally from Zimalia, I escaped from the current regime when my tribe was targeted, so I know a little of what it's like to be on the receiving end of this sort of thing. What you want is for someone to come and help you especially when it's the government or an authority in a position of trust being the aggressor.  What should be done about it? We must be prepared to do whatever we must, whether it be sending humanitarian aid, assisting in protecting Cultists or repeating the military feat of the last time there was a genocide in Royal Seleucid. We've always said 'Never again' and that has to be held to or they're just empty words.

Scott Booth: Luke Ayanami

Luke Ayanami: It's a tricky one, do Cultists need extra protection? At this point my answer would be no they don't because if something does happen to make that necessary then there is a virtually guaranteed reaction, the assassination of King Leonard is going to bring a reaction in fact it already has with King David's statement and subsequently that of the new Vaguzian regent. As far as Royal Seleucid goes we need to be watchful and helpful, if things escalate then yes take extra steps but let's be sensible and not blindly use a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Scott Booth: Nettie Taylor

Nettie Taylor: The Marble Palace has been in close consultation with the cabinet and agrees with the position that Bonnie's laid out. Why? Well you can only act based on what you know and can prove, not what you suspect however you can prepare for what you suspect. Now yes we're mindful that some of the steps being taken by Royal Seleucid could escalate the situation beyond what we would like and I'm sure beyond what other nations would like. Right now however we know that there is a food shortage which JET is looking like it will address, we hope that that's as far as this goes.

Scott Booth: Ok I'm going to take a related question from ah the famed Seaforthian journalist Tara McLeod who asks "With secular Mundus appearing to be on the decline and with the rise of the religious and religion influenced states what are you thoughts on what appears to be the budding Helus Empire? With East Moreland and Bakkermaya of course and Seaforth's continued conversion to the cult, not to mention the recent troubles in Royal Seleucid are we witnessing the beginning of a Cultish Empire stretching from Coft Aranye to the Sea of Alucard? Will the Illumic Channel, Mhorish Sea and the Karifan Ocean become, for all intents, internal waters? How do you see such a power bloc influencing the rest of Mundus?" Luke Ayanami.

Luke Ayanami: Pretty long question but I'll try to be brief, there are a lot of theocracy style nations on the international stage, now Helus Empire? Interesting thought I can certainly see where the idea comes from. It's quite a tricky question or series of questions to answer especially for me because I'm sat here as a Cultist and as a distant relation to the ruling family of East Moreland. Do I think we're seeing the beginning of a Cultist Empire? Possibly it largely depends on what happens in Royal Seleucid but I don't believe that regime change is presently on the cards. But I would suggest that with East Moreland and Seaforth on opposite sides of the Illumic there is the potential for that region to go that way and with Bakkermaya's position to the south possibly the Mhorish as well.

Ajax Semantar: I'm not so sure that we're looking at a Cultist Empire in the making. East Moreland is the Cult of Helus homeland, Bakkermaya is born out of that and then Seaforth converts, these aren't new events I'm not seeing a domino effect across Mundus of other nations converting to the Cult of Helus. Now let's deal with the other part of the question - how does such a bloc potentially influence Mundus? Well in much the same way it presently does just look at the strength of the East Moreland and Seaforth relationship.

Scott Booth: Bonnie Harper

Bonnie Harper: Interesting question, are we looking at a Cult of Helus Empire? I don't know we'll have to see what happens but like Ajax said there's no present suggestion of a domino effect. Perhaps there will be at some point and if that happens then maybe we'll see that Empire come into being, how would that influence Mundus? Well theoretically considering how close the relationships between the countries that have major Cultist populations presently stand which is to say quite close and only likely to get closer we could see in that event a shift towards a more integrated group of nations and a balance of power in their favour. Especially considering that we're talking about the nations that tend to step up when it comes to it.

Nettie Taylor: Tough question, I would say we don't yet know if we're seeing an Empire or not. But I would certainly agree that we're seeing secular Mundus decline. If there was such an Empire how would it affect Mundus? It would certainly have an effect but I can't say what that effect would be.

Nick Lewis: I'd say it's possible you'd see that Empire develop if it isn't already happening, the concentration of the Cult around the Illumic and the Mhorish is fairly obvious to see, and it's got a global spread with enclaves in Achkaerin, Gowu, Royal Seleucid and others. What's the influence of this religion going to be if this develops? Well we could have a future where there are more Cultists on Mundus than there are Catholics, and that's an interesting thought.

Scott Booth: Our next question comes from Masaki Satsuki, the Chief International Affairs Correspondent at the RBC who asks "As Rokkenjimans prepare to head to the polls to decide whether or not to abolish the Office of Premier what are your thoughts of this apparent retreat of elected power in the First Empire? Does the Holy Empire have plans on hand to work with a yet greater empowered Chrysanthemum Throne should the referendum return that result?" I think we need to point out that in the time since the question was received that Rokkenjima has indeed voted to abolish the office of Premier, so I think we're better off answering the second half of the question. Nettie Taylor.

Nettie Taylor: Yeah let's ask the former Rokkenjiman Premier this one. Ok then is this referendum result a good thing? No it isn't, why? Well you've got as a consequence of this referendum all executive power being rolled up and handed over to Empress Beatrice, a few years ago this might not have been such a bad thing especially considering how restricted the Premier's of Rokkenjima were but now it's just about the worst idea imaginable. The Empress is a woman who has a conviction for perjury to her name, her international credibility is shot, her popularity with the international community is low, her trustworthiness with the international community is low I mean King David labelled her lackblade a great dishonour. Yet despite all of that when it came to negotiations or talking to Rokkenjima everyone had options other than the Empress, it was possible to differentiate between the Empress and the state now the Empress is the state that's got the potential to cause problems internationally. But what will be interesting is what does the Viceregent think about this?

Scott Booth: Bonnie Harper

Bonnie Harper: I think Nettie's provided quite a detailed illustration of the situation, but this demonstrates the fundamental flaw of referenda it's what people want, not what's in their best interests, the potential for self harm goes up a notch or two. It may work domestically to streamline their system especially as most Rokkenjiman Premiers have always been dogged by Pyrena oversight but internationally now? I don't think the implications are going to go down well, what will the Achkaerinese government do? Well we've got bigger things to worry about right now than this but I can imagine there's going to be a lot of thought about what happens next.

Luke Ayanami: Well it depends whether we agree that this is a time to abolish the office of Premier. Looking at all the circumstances that Nettie's outlined it's possible to argue that the position of Premier has never been more important than it is now. To suddenly remove it is pointless and likely to hinder Rokkenjima more than benefit it. But end of the day we'll just have to see what happens next I'm sure the Senate has an eye on it and will respond appropriately as things unfold.

Nick Lewis: I imagine that Achkaerin and Rokkenjima will continue to work together on some level but first the Government, the Crown and the Senate have to judge how to react to the result and determine how if at all such an event affects the relationship between Achkaerin and Rokkenjima, I imagine that there will be a flurry of phone calls going on about this across Mundus so we'll have to wait and see.

Ajax Semantar: One of the things with democracy is that it can return a result that is unhelpful or wrong. When Achkaerin voted on its CTO membership it wouldn't have mattered what the result was because there was no real risk to leaving the organisation. Is that the case here? Well there's a lot of risk in putting all that power in the hands of one person with no check and balance, we've not yet seen the reaction to the result so while on the face of it it appears to be a bad one we need more information before we can accurately judge this.

Scott Booth: Our next question comes from Jo Barnes at the Straits Times who asks "Pertaining to the ongoing crisis in regards to the Gungnir terrorists, Emperor Peter has mentioned in one of the recent measures to include "Proposals for a globalized Inter Faith Forum, modelled on a pilot scheme within Achkaerinese territory shall be drawn up", in order to combat terrorism on extremist religious grounds. What does this IFF exactly entail in terms of funtions and what it should accomplish? Also, is its location permanent or shall it rotate on an annual basis to different countries represented in this forum?" Nick Lewis.

Nick Lewis: That's not really a question we can answer yet, it's relying on information that's I believe still being worked out. Bonnie is the architect of the pilot scheme mentioned by the Emperor so perhaps she can explain more.

Bonnie Harper: I guess I'd better then. If Nick will forgive the interruption.

Nick Lewis: Please.

Bonnie Harper: The Inter Faith Forum is modelled as a travelling roadshow sort of thing, we contacted the leaders of the various faiths within Achkaerin so the High Priestess of the Cult of Namis, the Achkaerinese leader of the Cult of Helus, the senior Christian leaders across denominations, the Rosari leader and so on. Basically once a month these leaders, in a different location rotating between the various faiths, participate in a panel session in an agreed format consisting of an act of worship led by the hosts and then the panel answer questions and on occasion lead activities to explain what the similarities and differences between religions are with the aim of increasing the level of understanding and decreasing any lingering tensions. Applying that model on a global scale isn't going to be easy but I think it's doable.

Ajax Semantar: I can't really add anything to that because this as Nick has explained is a government matter and obviously being the leader of an opposition party makes this very difficult at this point we don't see the proposals until there is one so until there's a draft I can't actually comment.

Nettie Taylor: The Emperor's advisors and the cabinet are in the early stages of drawing up the proposal, our focus so far has been on the expansion of the domestic model to the international community. Right now our plan is to formulate a draft, consult with the Senate parties and then present it to the international community. But there's not an awful lot anyone can add at this point.

Scott Booth: We're running out of time so we'll take one final question and we'll have to be quick around the panel on this one. Our last question comes from Valentino Yanone of the Vaguzia News Centre who asks "Does the CTO have any use right now?" Bonnie Harper

Bonnie Harper: It could but the damage is severe and more damage is done the longer it stays inactive and lets things slide, no resolution on slavery, no resolution on the execution of Dilara, no resolution on the Royal Seleucid situation. Doesn't seem like a useful organisation to me right now.

Nick Lewis: No it doesn't and Andrew Richmond should now do his job and table a motion to dissolve the CTO.

Luke Ayanami: Hard to argue it does, it has after all stood silent for a long time. That said if the issues with it are addressed which is to say the speed at which it works and the lack of commitment then it could have a future.

Ajax Semantar: Too many crises have passed the CTO by for it to be salvageable, especially if the Rokkenjiman roadmap is the one being followed here because it must address the problems if it is going to survive and the roadmap doesn't.

Nettie Taylor: It's not useful if it's not being used and it's certainly not being used, it's stood by on too many crises and failed to address too many issues. Now that does not mean that the notion of the CTO is a bad one the idea of a global forum for nations to constructively talk to each other is one that would likely have traction across Mundus but considering all the baggage the CTO brings with it it isn't that forum, the failings are known, if people want a global forum then rather than try to revive an organisation that won't work, start from scratch with a replacement and let every nation have the opportunity to voice how such a thing can work.

Scott Booth: And that's our time up for tonight, next week we're in Leonaise I hope you can join us then...Goodnight.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Question Time (The Show)
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 02:36:23 AM »
Scott Booth (host): Good evening and welcome to Question Time, this week we're in Rosevale. On our panel tonight Senator for Eastgate and Minister for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Melinda Carter, Leader of the Green Party and Senator for the port area of Mossflower Thomas Lynsey, Pastor of Santiago and Cardinal in the Catholic Church Martin Deed, Lecturer in History and Archaeology at Elsion University Doctor Brian Raines and finally Crown Princess Serenity.

Applause

Scott Booth: We've had a lot of questions submitted to us tonight and we're going to try and get through as many of them as we can. So our first question comes from Lucy Mason.

Lucy Mason: Is the referendum on the Separation of Incomes Act in Samantra a help or hindrance to the equality of women?

Scott Booth: We've had more questions on this than anything else. Your Highness?

Serenity: For me it's a bit of both, when you look at it. Martin will I'm sure speak to the spiritual side of this shortly, but here's the thing the mechanics of what happens at the end of a marriage in Samantra are broadly similar to those found elsewhere it's just a little different in detail and ultimately that's largely where the hammer falls on this because generally speaking when you get married the assets of the parties to the marriage get put into a joint pot and when the marriage ends a court presides over said assets in terms of distribution. It's basically taking the view that marriage is a contract, now if you take that view then what the SIA is is essentially a statutory prenuptial agreement, and then you've got plenty of questions that come with that but in essence it seems to be intended as a safeguard, which is where it would have helped however the greatest strength could also be construed as the greatest weakness, as it's possible that income separation becomes how marital assets are divided and or accessed which risks inequality because it's a judgement based off a wage rather than contribution to the marriage itself and that's where it hinders. On balance it's probably more of a help than a hindrance but that's based on needing more concrete answers about the procedures involved and so on before firm opinions can be formed.

Scott Booth: Melinda Carter

Melinda Carter: Ignoring the more recent fallout around this, the Crown Princess is right it's a bit of both, but I look at the way this all happened and part of me thinks a trick was missed  I'm reminded of when we drafted the Same Sex Marriage Act in 1994 and something I remember from then is that landmark legislation doesn't get achieved without a lot of work and cooperation on a cross party basis.

Scott Booth: Thomas Lynsey

Thomas Lynsey: It's a tricky one isn't it? Trying to challenge long standing thinking always is, I think like Melinda's said opportunities to work things out were missed, I think there's an art to lawmaking and I don't think it was best employed. I am concerned that a religious court has such a level of authority in Samantra, I'm also concerned by the way this situation escalated.

Scott Booth: Speaking of that escalation, Cardinal Deed could you comment on the religious aspect?

Martin Deed: People need to be very careful before they invoke holy scriptures or the will of a Deity. Multiple threads run through holy books, some are contradictory of each other, some are very metaphorical and it's very easy to twist words to suit your own perspective. The other thing to consider with holy scripture is that they are centuries old, written at a time for that time, the question is how do you apply the message contained within those pages to the modern day? For example the principle thread of the Bible is love and Christians believe in a God who loves everyone unconditionally so does God mind how love is expressed by those he created? Now when I look at Samantra there's a key point to understand, the distinction between church and state is not as clear cut and this is where my main concern lies Samantra's population breaks down to about 90% Orthodox Christian, so I would logically presume that the religious courts involved here are Christian Orthodox ones which brings us to challenges. The challenge for everyone outside of Samantra is to take a breath, reflect, consider the facts and approach, the challenge for Samantra is to look at authority, where does a religious court which is a spiritual body get the authority to judge those not of their faith? Because there's apparently 10% of the population unaccounted for here and that perhaps suggests that some of statutory provision is required.

Brian Raines: I do want to add in a point about the Emir of Rayyu here, because it's a little concerning to see a religious fault line being drawn not to mention comments about the MCUR in that context, in truth there are not many nations that would run afoul of it if they signed it not with the amount of caveats and safeguards built into it and the way it's worded. We don't need more fault lines than we've already got, and I'd like to ask the Minister if she thinks there's "an ultra liberal world order devoid of God's guidance"?

Melinda Carter: I think everyone can conclude Mundus is probably liberal leaning in most respects, does that mean there's lacking spiritual guidance? No of course not. The Emir is a Muslim who believes in Allah and his faith guides his decisions, I respect that but equally I hope he would respect that I am a Namist and my faith guides my decisions.

Scott Booth: Our next question comes from Michael Knighton.

Michael Knighton: Do International Organisations like the CSTO and the CNN have a future?

Scott Booth: Thomas

Thomas Lynsey: Objectively they do because of what they represent which is a collective security guarantee. But the notion goes beyond that as there are treaty networks outside of those organisations. I think there's an obvious difference that needs considering, the CSTO is purely a defence treaty the CNN is a lot more than that. That may stand one or both of them in good stead but with suspensions having occurred there's the sense of a reckoning approaching, for the CNN it could easily be that the aftermath of the Lodjan crisis is their crucible.

Brian Raines: I suspect the future of Mundus politics is more regional based rather than global, but I also suspect that if the CSTO and CNN do run out of steam that new things can be formed. I do think Thomas is right I do think there will be reckonings for both the CNN and the CSTO and I tend to agree with his assessment on the Lodja crisis, as far as the CSTO goes I believe their crucible is a little further off but it will likely be what happens when Crown Princess Asuna ascends the Rokkenjiman throne.

Serenity: I think they've got a future and I think its going to have a fair bit of change involved, though quite what those changes are I don't know, a lot depends on the next year or so as we enter a period of time where a lot of key events are going to happen but the lay of the land is solid at the moment. I do think as Brian said the more localised, regional shifts will happen though.

Martin Deed: I'm no politician but I think they serve a purpose and I think they serve it well.

Melinda Carter: I think for them to have a sustainable future there's going to need to be some sort of change, they have to be capable of adapting as the world around them changes. If they can't do that then I don't see a future for them.

Scott Booth: Our next question comes from Bradley Parkinson

Bradley Parkinson: What should be done about the Kyne oil spill?

Scott Booth: Martin

Martin Deed: We're stewards of creation and this incident highlights one heck of an issue, we can't be stewards if we're destroying creation. Progress can surely be made to move away from oil. Meantime clean the spill up.

Serenity: First priority has to be cleaning up the spill and plugging the leak before too much damage is done, then we need to start asking questions about how this happened and how we can make sure this doesn't happen again, now clearly one part of that is the continued direction of travel away from oil to green alternatives after all if you take oil out of the equation you take the oil tanker out as well.

Brian Raines: The spill needs cleaning up and what's really good to see is that we're seeing people recognising how serious this is and working together, it's a rare thing to see that level of unity, now if you could harness that and use it repeatedly we might be in a much better place.

Melinda Carter: The Green Energy Transition Act is our road map away from fossil fuels to green energy, it's something we're on track with and it's something the government is firmly committed to. As far as the Kyne situation goes I'm more concerned about the silence of the Nueva Ardian Government, no comment, no call for an investigation, no acknowledgement that this even happened. It's a little surprising.

Thomas Lynsey: Absolutely. Things need to change, we should double down on development of green energy, double down on reduction in terms of oil dependence, we need to wake up and get moving quicker on this. Progress is being made but that's not enough by itself, more must be done.

Scott Booth: We're almost out of time but I want to take this one last question from Fiona Mills

Fiona Mills: How is Princess Astrid?

Scott Booth: I think that one's yours Your Highness

Serenity: Astrid is doing well, she's happy because she's finally learning to dance, she's picking up sign language, we're all learning it and Astrid's very excited because she's getting a hearing animal in a few days time.

Scott Booth: And that's our time up for tonight, next week we're in Rowanoak I hope you can join us then...Goodnight.

OOC - any questions for future editions please feel free to post them here