Author Topic: The Xth Jihad- Conquest of the Holy land/Vanora - OOC discussion (on hold)  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Later edit: on hold, I will try to factor Tamora in the crusades.

In an effort to build some historical interaction with Tamora’s Northen neighbour I want establish a holy way (jihad) declared by Tamora to conquer Vanora. Since history in Mundus is always tricky and fluid I will keep it vague and with little impact for Vanora. So the very few details will be:

- started in the XIV century by Tamora (which had three provinces back then), failed miserably, barely managed to end it in a status quo (no border change). 

Assuming the RP mod is okay with it, I am looking to also establish a battle which will be considered one of the major historical events in Tamora’s history:

-   It will take place on Tamora’s territory and after Tamora had been losing badly for some time.
-   It will involve some foreign nations (soldiers) that came to the defense of the Holy land/Vanora.
-   The battle will end in a Pyrrhic victory for Tamora but it will not be end of the war (so as to not needlessly entangle us).

Again, assuming the RP mod or other players don’t have a problem with it, I am looking for player nations that would be fighting for Vanora’s side in the “Great Battle” described above. Since the battle happened more than six centuries before present time it’s obvious that it would not impact current relations and it will just be for world building.

Anyone interested? Any ideas or objections?   

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
Re: The Xth Jihad- Conquest of the Holy land/Vanora – OOC discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 08:16:55 PM »
Would you mind if some Chinese Volunteers had fought for Vanora as mercenaries had shown up for this Great Battle? Specifically, they’d be Imperial Chinese, as this in the 1400s, when China finished unification. Let’s say that for the sake of canon, they’re all Librarius Dragonaii, but were hired as mercenaries by possibly Vanoran nobles or something.

PM me if there’s a problem
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 08:42:30 PM »
It might be better if you factored Tamoran involvement into the crusades rather than essentially duplicating it less than a hundred years after that ends (and assuming the crusades narrative holds this doesn't really make sense). I'd also point out that you're proposing setting an event in the 1300's and Vanora's change as it were to what it is in the present day Mundus is approximated to occur in the 1400's.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
@Admiral Taiwanpenguin: Sure, sounds good.

@Ach: Allow me explain why this won’t duplicate the Crusades, why I don’t consider factoring Tamora in the crusades as an alternative and also address the issue about the Jihad not making sense.

1.   The crusades were a major event similar to the RL crusades. Tamora’s jihad despite its pompous name is a far less relevant war and one where Venora can defeat Tamora on its own. While the crusades would be studied in schools around Mundus, Tamora’s jihad will remains at best a footnote in the history textbooks.
2.   The Crusades thread is dead. Most of the nations taking part are either retconed or have just ceased to exist. I am also not interested in developing and fleshing out an entire timeline for the Jihad or something very elaborate. Just establishing the jihad existed, ended in a stalemate and we had a “Great Battle” (which I will have to name later).   
3.   The Jihad takes place a century after the crusades which means the events are not connected in anyway and it doesn’t erase whatever was achieved there. As far as making sense goes, most events and even settings in Mundus don’t make sense (See how Rokk recently went through a civil war but is a powerhouse in present or how Seaforth went through worse and again is very well developed today or how Zimalia is in AK and is surrounded by rich white nations etc).

“I'd also point out that you're proposing setting an event in the 1300's and Vanora's change as it were to what it is in the present day Mundus is approximated to occur in the 1400's.

I have no idea where the 1400 comes from. It isn’t mentioned in the link you provided and the factbook states:

“In the twelfth and thirteenth centuries the land that present day Vanora occupies became ravaged by the Crusades risking the division of the land between powerful Lords in the aftermath however the nation of Vanora was brought into being by William Aragon a Christian knight and one of the heroes of the final defence of Jerusalem during the Crusades. “

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 10:43:14 PM »
Irrelevant whether the thread is dead or not, it is an event which has been referred to several times and in terms of outcome still on the basis of the narrative establishes a situation from which I struggle to see any motive or circumstances for a Tamoran invasion of Vanora to happen.

Also odds of Vanora being alone in this are slim.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 10:58:34 PM »
"Irrelevant whether the thread is dead or not, it is an event which has been referred to several times and in terms of outcome still on the basis of the narrative establishes a situation from which I struggle to see any motive or circumstances for a Tamoran invasion of Vanora to happen."

Who says it's irrelevant? It's not irrelevant to me. Also, it doesn't change the outcome of the crusades or make them any less important.

Motive: the Tamoran HoS wants to invade. I am not going to go into further details since that is not the point of the thread.

"Also odds of Vanora being alone in this are slim."

As I said, people are invited to say they took part in the event. If none do (China already has but let's assume none do) then Vanora beats Tamora alone.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 11:07:36 PM »
the Crusades thread being dead is irrelevant because the events are established as having happened.

Ultimately if Dave approves this Jihad then fine it happens but bear in mind that the number of nations that step in and the balance thereof could affect your Great Battle.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »
On second thought, I will put this on hold and see if i can somehow involve Tamora in the crusades. It doesn't fit my initial plans but it might end up better for all those involved.