Author Topic: Two Minutes To Midnight  (Read 15230 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Two Minutes To Midnight
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2019, 05:50:37 PM »
Peter watched Kravec go and once he was out of the room half smiled
"My grandfather may have unleashed this monster onto the world but don't doubt that I'm serious about slaying the monster." he muttered then he glanced at Sakura "You know what you've got to do."
"Yeah." Sakura said, she left the room.

Peter walked across the room to where Beatrice and the Tytorian delegation sat, this now depended entirely on what happened should Kravec return and whatever happened they needed to be careful about.

"May I have a word in private with the two of you?" Peter asked

Sakura had gotten outside and taken a seat on a low wall, taking in the breeze she sighed as she took out her medication and took her daily dose, getting it down with a good amount of water, she really didn't like having epilepsy and the seizures were sometimes too much for her. Still she had a job to do she put her phone away, she used it to keep track of her medication and such, spotting Markus Bathory she made her move hoping that he remembered her from her visit to Slava Lavosk.

"Mr Bathory may I trouble you for a private word?" Sakura asked

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2019, 06:45:38 PM »

Markus Bathory nodded at the two delegates with and they took a step or two back, giving the illusion of privacy.

"I remember you. The little cowgirl, no that's not it...sheriff. Yes, The Sheriff is in town, yes?"

Bathory chuckled at his own joke.

"I remember you spoke well. Passionately. I also know that when you didn't get what you wanted, you and your nation vanished, like vapor, like you were never there...and he so-called foundation to build on and mutual concerns vanished with you. Until we did what William Azurewind did...but wait, no, that's not right. We didn't drop a nuclear weapon on a city, did we? So say your piece, girl. May your words not be vapor this time."

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2019, 07:35:26 PM »
Peter watched Kravec go and once he was out of the room half smiled
"My grandfather may have unleashed this monster onto the world but don't doubt that I'm serious about slaying the monster." he muttered then he glanced at Sakura "You know what you've got to do."
"Yeah." Sakura said, she left the room.

Peter walked across the room to where Beatrice and the Tytorian delegation sat, this now depended entirely on what happened should Kravec return and whatever happened they needed to be careful about.

"May I have a word in private with the two of you?" Peter asked
Major had been digging in his bag, looking for his book, but was on the verge of giving up the search as a bad job.  He looked up at the sound of Peter's voice.

"Your Majesty!" he said, standing out of respect, "I would be perfectly happy to speak with you.  I mean, I can't speak for Her Majesty the Empress, but I can't see any reason not to talk."  He quickly stooped down to gather his things,  seeing as how he'd knocked his bag over upon rising.  Keeping all these royals straight was going to give him a headache.
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »
“Certainly,” Beatrice said, “I’m happy to take this opportunity to speak with you both. As for the book, I imagine he would find little use for it. Such concepts would be far too novel,” she said with a grin.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2019, 09:25:03 PM »
Sachim Kadassa had watched the proceedings so far with a sense of depression, things had been playing out exactly as he had anticipated, with the well worn talking points and rhetoric from the imperialist bloc.

With the announcement of the recess he took the opportunity to seek out President Kravec, waiting until the man was alone, before sidling up to him.

"President Kravec, I do not believe I have had the pleasure of meeting you in person before; I wish it could have been under happier circumstances." he began "You know, I understand exactly what you are going through. I recognise in you a kindred spirit. he said before shifting his posture and drawing a heavy breath "We are both men who live and breath for our countries, and for that we are called dictators, madmen, megalomaniacs. I am no stranger to being insulted by these autocrats, even at my recent inauguration I was snubbed by the majority of the world, and why? Because I had the audacity to refuse to allow them to subjugate Lakhzovia, to refuse to let them tie my hands while our enemies waged war on us. What I did, I did to protect my people and for that we are branded a pariah, in much the way you are being so branded now.

I understand your predicament Kravec, and I understand your motivation for seeking nuclear arms. Had Lakhzovia been so armed prior to our civil war then we would need never have feared the spectre of intervention that threatened to destroy everything my people have worked to build these past three decades. Look at my country now; we survive, but essentially as a vassal to Rokkenjima, our alliance with them is one of convenience and yet as shields go they are problematic, far too fickle and liable to break under pressure.

But you, I feel we can work with. We are not alone, more nations are waking up to the reality that disarmament is a luxury only the imperialist powers can afford. A nuclear free Rokkenjima after all could destroy Lakhzovia or Slava Lavosk many times over, whereas a nuclear free Slava Lavosk poses an insignificant military threat to such a power. Nuclear weapons are the great equalizer, and the greatest guarantee of security.

That being said these powers will not walk away from this conference without something to show for it, and if they are forced to then I can only imagine that the pressure placed upon you will be further intensified. It would perhaps be prudent to offer them a degree of apparent cooperation, if only to provide a relief of the sanctions, which would provide breathing room to pursue security interests."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2019, 09:53:38 PM »
Peter took Major and Beatrice to one side knowing what was needed, he sighed.

"We're all aware of how critical these talks are, we're very close to being able to put the nuclear monster back in the cage it belongs in. If we can get an agreement here great, but that has to based on two things reciprocity and dropping the impasse. No one in this room is foolish to believe a one sided deal is going to happen. If Slava are going to walk then it has to be entirely them, don't give Kravec the excuse, we're not talking about appeasing him we're talking about making sure we conduct this in a manner above reproach." he took another deep breath

"Also." he continued "If these talks fail I imagine both your nations will be reconsidering their options about next moves potentially even implementing the blockade. Now I'm not going to tell you not to blockade Slava Lavosk if it comes to it, but if you go that route I only ask that you ensure that you make sure you implement using the legal mechanisms available to you. That said what are you prepared for should Kravec come back?"

Sakura nodded as Bathory spoke he was of course right. She glanced around making sure they were alone, she couldn't risk anyone overhearing this, satisfied that no one could overhear them she approached the man.

"When I came to your country I came to make the case for Dilara's life, today I come to you about another woman." Sakura said keeping her voice low, she reached into her pocket and showed Markus a picture "I don't know how much of this you know, this is Cecelia Anselmo the mother of Empress Beatrice. You may also be aware that a while ago the Free Mundus Network ran a story citing that payments from Rokkenjima to Slava Lavosk concerned an individual that your country was holding on to. Achkaerinese intelligence has credible evidence that the individual is Cecelia. However they don't know where in Slava Lavosk she is, we assume she's being held in a prison somewhere but don't know for definite. Rokkenjima don't know it's her, in fact they don't know anything we shut them out of the investigation as soon as we found, mainly because we can all imagine how the Empress of Rokkenjima would react to being told this and if we handle this right Rokkenjima will never know because I don't think it's in anyone's interests to give the Empress of Rokkenjima an excuse for a military assault on Slava Lavosk, so can you help us avoid that? Can you find out where she is? We would be indebted to you if you were to help us Mr Bathory."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 10:23:15 PM »

Markus Bathory, the rock solid statesman kept his cool as he pushed her hand, still holding the picture, gently into her abdomen. The colour drained from his face as he cast a furtive glance left and right.

"Spandau"

The word uttered, he turned and quickly walked away.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 11:09:00 PM »

Kravec shook President Kadassa's hand and then opened his cigarette case. He offered one to Kadassa and lit up his own.

"President Kadassa, I am pleased to speak with you. I share your frustration. We are not subjects of these monarchies, but the elected leaders of our people. I watched your tribulations from afar and empathised with your plight. Alas I was powerless to reach out."

"We had the opportunity to develop a deterrent...and we took it. I wish we didn't have to, but wishes wont change things. I know they won't walk away either. These people launch air strikes against poor neighbours, threaten allies and financially abuse anyone they can. They are like mongrel dogs after a carcass, biting and snarling at anyone else until a dominant few are locked in a surly stalemate."

"I too think we could work together, we both need to shake of the dictatorial monarchists. I would be willing to deal fairly with these people, but I won't be ordered around like a stable boy. If you have a suggestion, I would be pleased to hear it."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 08:42:46 PM »
"I suggest that you propose a freeze on further weapons testing or development as a first step. You could dress it up as a concession, a sign of your willingness to find a reasonable settlement.

In the meantime it can be made clear that such a concession, as a first step towards dismantling your weapons programme, is reliant on being given guarantees in regards to security and sovereignty. As such you can condition your cooperation on an easing of sanctions and an end to the threat of blockade. You could also express a desire that your security needs be addressed through the multilateral force made up of nations who you feel you can trust.

For Lakhzovia's part we will strongly support any such proposal. As strong proponents of the value of national sovereignty and the right of states to live securely we would be more than willing to contribute materially to providing support to your security needs, in whatever capacity you deem most appropriate.

Now my next point is perhaps a bit delicate. How should I put this... I am aware that your nuclear programme has suffered so far from a lack of access to a reliable supply of uranium. In this area Lakhzovia has been blessed, and we are shortly to begin extraction of ore from our Rossetiyan deposits. Our own setback is due to general lack of expertise when it comes to nuclear technology. I think perhaps there is scope for us to mutually benefit each other in this area, with the caveat that it is purely for civilian use of course." said Kadassa fixing Kravec with a knowing stare.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 11:15:55 PM »
"Aaaah." Said Kravec, a twinkle in his eye.

"I see what you suggest and it mimics my own thoughts on the matter. We will need to proceed step by step in the negotiations. If I just trot out a list of demands and concessions, it will no doubt be struck down by those that hate either me personally or Slavans in general....oh, the power games we play. I suppose I could open the discussion by offering..."

Kravec drifts off in thought, playing the odds in his head and muttering to himself for a brief minute.

"Yes, that will work nicely I think. As to your more...delicate...subject, you are not wrong. It would be of great benefit to Slava Lavosk to secure a reliable source of uranium. Though any such deal will come under intense scrutiny by the world at large and your...benefactors...in Rokkenjima. If you are prepared to stand the heat, I believe that Slava Lavosk can undertake such an arrangement and aid you advancing your own nuclear program."

Kravec smiles and taps the side of his nose...

"For civilian purposes, of course."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »
David had to admit he wasn't really impressed with how things were progressing. One the one hand there had been the theatrics of the Slava Lavosk delegation yet on the other hand the "Give up the nukes or else" attitude of Rokkenjima. David could sense with things the way they were going little would perhaps be achieved and so he gestured to the other CNN delegates to follow him outside. There were pockets of various chatting groups dotted around and so the East Moreland King found a small corner and sat on a bench waiting for the others. In his mind it was simple, you were not going to see Slava Lavosk give up their nuke without something being given up in return and an endless blockade was only going to get messy and result in deaths. He had hoped the act of East Moreland pushing ahead with their own disarmament would have gone smoother but it hadn't and so instead it was time for a small CNN strategy meeting, assuming they'd followed him outside.

Offline Lady Amaya

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tauredalia
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2019, 07:39:23 AM »
Darya felt it was below his dignity to pace in public, so he instead sequestered himself in an open corner, slightly away from his delegation. He watched the other players as they paired off or sneaked into secret conversations. He had no doubt what was being said: the performance of President Kravec and the subsequent childish remarks from Empress Beatrice left two very different impressions and the factions between them were undoubtedly already formed before the recess was declared. He, however, was uncertain on which side of the line he truly fell.

He recalled the impassioned speeches by his peer kingdoms about national sovereignty and while he agreed with their arguments, there was still the reality of fact. Tauredalia as a whole was not a powerful country and could do little to influence Rokkenjima should it station its fleet outside its the Confederacy's own borders. The much richer nation seemed determined to get its way, ironically acting out its own tantrum, and Darya had to decide what path he would choose for his nation. The Daalenes were a proud people and would not be bullied, but he also had limited options.

He spied King David alone and an idea formed in his head. Politics did not always require hard power. He approached his fellow monarch and gestured toward the empty seat. "Do you mind if I join you?" he asked.

Assuming he was affable to the request, Darya took a seat. Regardless, the elderly man took a deep sigh and slowly said, "It's not going well in there, wouldn't you say?" He chuckled, but it was a sound without mirth. "I hope you do not see us as the enemy. I am simply trying to protect my people and you have to see this from our view. We were ecstatic if disbelieving when disarmament was declared, but this situation with Slava Lovask... The reaction seems more hostile than, uh, than you mean it to be. You see, we don't view Slava Lovask with nuclear weapons as a threat... Not yet."

He gathered his thoughts. "Slava Lovask is not the only nation that has a nuclear program, and I'm not just referencing ourselves. I'm certain there are other nations not on our respective radar. One of these nations could have a nuclear weapon tomorrow or ten years from now, but it is the reaction of the international community that concerns us. We understand that East Moreland considers the Slava Lovask program itself a threat, but this is not the appropriate reaction. We are on the cusp of war, judging from the words spoken moments ago, when a more even response should have been given. 'Disarm or else' invites aggression. Do you see what I mean?"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:58:28 AM by Lady Amaya »

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2019, 10:23:10 AM »
David was surprised that it was Darya who approached first not one of the CNN leaders. "Please help yourself" David stood as he gestured to the seat before joining them. East Moreland prided itself on soft diplomacy, it was on reason he'd made so many of the nations festivals and feasts open to the international community after all. He remembered his father's words, "You catch far more with honey" But he also remembered his fathers words, "Plan for the worse and hope for the best."

He waited for his bench guest to finish. "I've seen smoother starts to international talks." he smiled, "As for seeing you as an enemy we see no nation as an enemy. We saw hundreds of thousands of our fellow Cultists murdered by Royal Seleucid, we saw them as enemies but even now times have changed as they have a new King so perhaps a new dawn. Someone saying a few words about us wouldn't make us enemies. Even friends at times have to hear uncomfortable things from the other. Protecting a people is our key duties, its our highest religious tennant, "Protect those who can not protect themselves." and while nuclear weapons can help in that regard they do not protect the innocent, they kill the innocent. MY nation pride ourselves on our technological endeavours, as the Free Mundus Network implied we are the number one peddlers of military hardware, but all of it designed to minimise losses not maximise it. We spent millions developing a missile capable of reducing impacts to surrounding structures exactly because we want to only strike at enemies and not the family sat next door. Nuclear weapons don't make that differentiation and thats why they need to go. My father and grand-father failed to see that and so I am left to do what we believe is right, and as I hope I have in there make disarmament a reality in the near future. Now you'll notice we haven't issued sanctions, we haven't talked of a blockade, we are only talking of preparing for those things should Slava Lavosk not be willing to seek a diplomatic solution. I think one exists but it only exists if people are willing to help us take that journey down the road towards making Mundus nuclear weapons free. I'd like to think its a journey Taurdalia would like to come along on. As for me being hostile, I think you may be confused. All I did was talk of the mistake of nuclear weapons ever existing and offer to support nations to defend against such weapons. I never issued a threat nor called another nation a name. The only thing I did in there was become the first nation to publically commit in the current circumstances to voulentarily give up weapons of mass destruction."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »
"Ah yes, the heat. Rokkenjima certainly would not be pleased if their behaviour so far is any indicator . However Lakhzovia has something that they want, the promise of an airfield in our country so that they can maintain their presence in the region. It's my understanding that Rokkenjima is being somewhat sidelined by former allies and resents being muscled out of the Illumic region. I doubt in such a situation that they would be willing to sacrifice their option to retain their stake in the west of Cotf Aranye.

Of course this would still be a hard sell, however I have an idea. It is entirely possible to alleviate fears of a Slava Lavoski nuclear programme while simultaneously pursuing or mutual agenda. Your country could lend its expertise to Lakhzovia in the commissioning of a fuel reprocessing plant, once completed Slava Lavosk could decommission its own, in a gesture towards compliance with non-proliferation, and send spent fuel to Lakhzovia for reprocessing.

The whole process itself would provide a useful cover for deeper collaboration."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2019, 12:24:26 AM »
Sakura watched Bathory walk away, it seemed that at least in this moment they had a desire to avoid a messy conflict. She walked a fair distance away and once she was sure she was alone she took out her phone and made the call that needed making. Just as Bathory had spoken to her, on the phone her call was straight to the point.

"Spandau." Sakura said

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2019, 08:29:54 PM »
OOC - Nudging a little

Sakura, having made the phone call, was now back out of the car and waiting around for the talks to resume, the recess had to be nearly over by now. She walked around a little and came across the Vicregent of Rokkenjima Emerson Ravenswood.

"What do you think?" Emerson asked
"I think there's a negotiated agreement possible, I think we can end this here." Sakura said "Kravec's not an idiot, he knows the stakes and he knows the boundaries, shame Beatrice has to make this ten times harder."
"You've got something in mind haven't you?" Emerson asked "An initial offer?"
"Something like that." Sakura said "Let's see if we can kill three birds with one stone."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2019, 10:17:45 PM »

After concluding his chat with President Kadassa, Kravec took some time alone. As he stood on the balcony smoking his cigarettes, he ordered his thoughts and formulated a plan. Stroking his beard in thought, Kravec took one final drag of the cigarette and crushed it out. With confidence, he strode back into the conference room, his delegation falling in behind, including a very pale Markus Bathory. Inside the conference room, the Slavan's took their seats and awaited Emperor Benson's call to order.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2019, 07:10:35 AM »
"If you wish for a deal then you'd better produce a water tight one in which Kravec doesn't have any wiggle room, one which is fully verifiable by the international community, and one which does not pander uselessly to Kravec," Beatrice replied. "Simply because he agrees to something doesn't mean he's going to live up to it; he's a man who's shown his character well already. I don't trust him, and if the deal is not water tight, it's not one we can risk."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2019, 10:49:58 AM »
"That said, Your Majesty," Major said, directing his words to Beatrice, "I suspect that lack of wiggle room will have to go both ways.  Otherwise, Kravec is likely to ignore such a deal anyway."  He glanced in the direction of the Slavan delegation as they reentered the room, and then continued slowly.  "I don't trust the man either; he's unpredictable and frankly quite unprincipled.  But... I also think that denying his theatrics the reaction he's seeking might take some of the wind out of his sails going forward.  We have the moral high ground, though he seems to have talked himself into believing the opposite.  If he stops getting a rise out of the free world at the negotiating table, then he may well find himself deprived of much of his bargaining power, increasing the chances of him accepting a firmer anti-proliferation stance from the international community."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 10:58:36 AM by Tytor »
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2019, 11:52:54 AM »
OOC- Para is likely to be away for the next two weeks and so has asked me if I'd kick start this back off so it doesn't drag.

Emperor Benson waited for everyone to return to the room before standing in such a way as to signal for people to quieten down. "Now that we have hopefully all cooled down a little I think it important we begin to look to the future. In that regard I believe His Holiness Stein Ulfsson has something he'd like to say."

The Head Gothi stood and readjusted the torque around his neck, the signal of his position as leader of the Odinist faith and therefore Nya Åland's leader. "We face an issue where everyone in this room desires a nuclear weapons free Mundus. We also have an international game of chicken. We must therefore consider the realities, Slava Lavosk are now a nuclear armed nation and under no legal obligation to disarm. Likewise Achkaerin, East Moreland and Rokkenjima have no legal obligation to. King David has today once more publicly gone on record as intending to make East Moreland nuclear free within I suspect a few weeks. Yet even then should he change his mind tomorrow there is no legal ramification. What we have so far is one nation claiming they need nuclear weapons, while other nations with them claim that nation shouldn't have them. So we need to leave here today with a legally binding framework that means all of Mundus is nuclear free. The issue as I see it is timing. You see there is a difference between decommissioning and dismantling a nuclear weapon. Remove its fuses, remove the attached systems etc all mean a weapons is decommissioned, however it can be re-commissioned simply by replacing those parts. It is only once the nuclear material has been removed and disposed of safely, be it by using it in nuclear power plants, or sealing it in concrete etc that it is actually dismantled. Decommissioning a nuclear weapon takes moments, dismantling it longer. Should Rokkenjima begin the process of dismantling their nuclear stockpile today we are likely to see a completion date of some five years in the future. If they decommission them, maybe two years. Slava Lavosk could be nuclear weapon free if they dismantle in maybe a few months because of the scale of stockpiles." The Head Gothi finished looking at his notes.

"What I propose therefore is this. All nuclear armed nations commit to decommissioning all their nuclear weapons by 2021. They further commit to dismantling them by 2025. This process must be verifiable. Please look at the document I have sent the Emperor." A switch was flicked and it appeared on the wall via projector.

In Order to achieve the ambition of a more peaceful and nuclear free Mundus nations agree to abide by this agreement.

1. The nations of Slava Lavosk, East Moreland, Achkaerin and Rokkenjima shall be known as the Nuclear Nations. The Nuclear Nations give assurance that they intend to be free of nuclear weapons by an agreed upon schedule.

2. Nations not classed as a Nuclear Nation shall be called a Non-Nuclear Nation and they give assurances that they do not intend to manufacture nuclear weapons.

3. The Nuclear Nations agree to allow a delegation of experts drawn from Non-Nuclear Nations to verify the numbers and types of nuclear weapons in their possession. Should an agreement be reached to form the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency this team shall be drawn from members of that Agency, should that agreement fail to materialise then the verification team shall be drawn from nations present at these talks.

4. Nuclear nations agree that they shall decommission (Definition:- Render the weapon inoperable for immediate deployment) all nuclear weapons by the end of 2021. This shall be verified by the same manner as outlined in Article 3.

5. Should a nation fail to provide verification or fail to meet the deadline as outlined in Article 4 they shall be subject to the following sanctions by all signatory nations.

a) A total ban on the sale of any nuclear material
b) A total ban on sales of military equipment
c) The freezing of bank accounts of members of that nations government.
d) A travel ban on non-diplomatic travel .
e) A boycott of imports from that nation

6. Nuclear nations agree that they shall dismantle (Definition:- Remove the weapons nuclear material and allocate it either for civilian use or render it unusable) all nuclear weapons by the end of 2026. This shall be verified in the same manner as laid out in Article 3.

7.  Should a nation fail to provide verification or fail to meet the deadline as outlined in Article 6 they shall be subject to the following sanctions by all signatory nations.

8. Sanctions put in place under Article 5 or 7 shall remain in place until such a time as Verification complient with Article 3 is given.

9. Nuclear nations agree that they shall not detonate or otherwise test nuclear devices in any way.

10. Non-Nuclear nations are free to accept nuclear material for civilian use from the process of dismantling weapons. Should the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency come into existance following the signing of this treaty such transfers shall be done in accordance with their processes.

11. Should a Nuclear Nation find that it is for any reason incapable of sticking to its schedule as laid out by this charter it is to inform the international community immediately and should 3/4 of the signatory nations voting agree the timetable may be extended by a period of no less than 12 months.

"It is my hope and belief that the outline given should ensure we are capable of reaching a nuclear free Mundus in such a manner that we can all be confident of these weapons being a spectre of the past while ensuring this international game of chicken does not escalate and cost human life. I thank the Emperor for this oppurtunity and take my seat to hear others opinions."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2019, 11:02:10 PM »

Kravec reads the treaty carefully, nodding absently.

"That is a fine start, Head Gothi...assuming that Slava Lavosk wishes to be nuclear free, but you have jumped to the conclusion without addressing the needs of Slava Lavosk, the reason we developed this capability in the first place. Without certain assurances, I can see no benefit in decommissioning or dismantling our arsenal. I am aware that this cannot occur in a vacuum, however. In good faith, I will offer a first concession. Slava Lavosk will cease live fire testing of nuclear weapons. I also agree in theory to the verification committee. My delegation is currently selecting our chosen representative. In exchange, I desire the lifting of all sanctions, embargoes and blockades against my nation."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 08:59:19 PM »
Having given people a little time to reply and seemingly no one willing to take the first steps Stein Ulfsson stood once more. " With respect President Kravec  you are asking here among many nations who have not placed sanctions on you, nor imposed blockades and embargoes. I believe only two have. Now what I'd like to point out is any nation signing this would be just as compelled to impose sanctions on Rokkenjima should they fail to comply as they would be to place them on you. I think it in a way rather fitting that we sit here in a nation devoted to the Vodou faith, one very concerned about crossroads. To your front sir sit two paths. The left hand path is to one where for the next few decades you perhaps face one condemnation after another from the international community, maybe find it harder and harder to find friends, trading partners etc and potentially make every day life in Slava Lavosk a little more difficult. Or you can take the right hand path which you've seen a glimpse of, nations willing to work together to help life be better and safer for all. Think about the first official interaction between our two governments, we were concerned with ensuring talks took place, you were concerned with helping your people. We managed to reach a mutually beneficial arrangement. Now had you not had nukes and had picked up the phone and said "Mr. Ulfsson can we have a meeting to discuss setting up some trade deals." You would have found a welcome ear and I believe that would be the case of most nations sat around the table. However.....setting up deals with a nation seen as a little bit out there? Maybe very different endings. I think Mr.Kravec, Empress Beatrice, Emperor Peter, King David, what we have on that paper represents the fairest, safest and most reasonable path open to us. I think the time has come to pick a path. Now may I suggest a slight alteration to your demands for the exchange." Stein addressed Kravec directly, "Seeing as Rokkenjima and Tytor are the only ones with anything in place against you how about we make the following happen. The Tytor and Rokkenjiman ships in the area agree to not approach within 400km of the coast of Slava Lavosk unless in neighbouring countries waters in accordance with the FSC. In addition, and I apologise if this is misrepresenting what is in place, sanctions will not include food products and medical supplies."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2019, 05:36:18 AM »
"I suggest the following to be included:"

f) Military action to remove a government which persists in the development of nuclear weapons, and to ensure their destruction

"Furthermore, before Rokkenjima agrees to a regime of verification we must be assured that each aspect is covered. There is to be no room for Slava Lavosk to hide developments from the international community: if that cannot be assured, we cannot agree to any agreement that lacks teeth. We have one chance to get this right, lest we open the door for developments in secrecy. Either Slava Lavosk disarms openly and willingly, or we remove the arms from their hands. There is no room for miscalculation."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2019, 11:09:33 PM »
Lakhzovia must strongly object to the Rokkenjiman proposal for the inclusion of article f).

It is our feeling that such an article is an unacceptable attack on the sovereignty of a nation and institutionalises a right for imperialist powers to intervene in another nation in a completely unacceptable manner. Further we feel such a provision would be open to grave abuse. What say, for example, if a nation declared they suspect another of developing nuclear weapons, and having inspected it and found nothing merely concluded that the target was adept at disguising their programme they would have a treaty mandated right to invade and affect regime change. Such a provision is extremely dangerous and I can assure you that Lakhzovia would never be a signatory to a treaty that included such as this.

Slava Lavosk is correct. The proposal as it stands is not unreasonable and serves well as a long term international framework for disarmament. However it does not address the immediate issue of guaranteeing Slava Lavoskian sovereignty and security. Lakhzovia remains committed to reaching a solution that allows the current crisis to be diffused, but we are strongly of the belief that this can only be achieved through an understanding of Slava Lavosk's legitimate concerns.

We endorse Slava Lavosk's proposal that all blockades and sanctions be lifted in exchange for an immediate freeze of all nuclear testing. Further we propose, with Slava Lavosk's agreement, that their spent fuel be transferred to Lakhzovia for reprocessing and the decommissioning of their own fuel reprocessing facilities, this will ensure that they are unable to pursue an expansion of their nuclear capability. In return Lakhzovia will, again with Slava Lavosk's approval, convene an international coalition of nations to provide a conventional military force to work alongside their nation in order to guarantee their security and sovereignty."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2019, 05:49:14 AM »
"Lakhzovia fails to mention that the provision would apply equally and does not single out Slava Lavosk in any manner. Further precedence is established via the Outer Space Standards Convention which recognizes space-based weapons platforms as a threat to the common sovereignty of all states and enables them to take action to remove such a threat. Likewise, the decision to test a nuclear weapon following the unanimous disarmament of all nuclear powers at the time poses a similar threat. With verification methods being agreed upon by us all there would also be no scenario where one state could magically produce evidence and bring into motion the fantasy scenario which Lakhzovia has presented."

"Furthermore, as I understand we shall have verifiable channels for the processing which Lakhzovia has proposed, as such, I would very much be in opposition to an arrangement which removes yet another level of independent verification from the process. I would further remind Lakhzovia of its treaty obligations to the First Empire, and likewise the lack of such obligations with Slava Lavosk. The proposition for a force, which I can only assume would be aimed against Rokkenjiman forces, is a move which would burn a bridge which would be quite expensive for the Republic's foreign ambitions."

"Quite simply if Slava Lavosk is honest and shows good faith there should be nothing to worry about and I may allow our fine sailors to return home, as opposed to maintaining their deployment. Furthermore, we wouldn't even be having this conversation had Slava Lavosk not created a crisis where one didn't exist. How quick we are to forget the circumstances which led us to this point, while treating Slava Lavosk as a victim. President Kravec created this crisis, he brought measures upon his nation that would not have been brought to bear otherwise, and it's very much upon him to prove that he's trustworthy."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:17:43 AM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2019, 10:25:26 PM »
King David had originally been rather hopeful when the Alanders presented their treaty idea. It was something he would have no issue agreeing to and he felt that it was largely fair. "If I may point out an issue with our representative from Lakhzovia's points." David said as he took to his feet.

"First however I am against the wording if not the spirit of this new article. I think we should not necessarily rule out military action should someone not comply with this treaty having agreed to. However imagine a scenario where the people of say Achkaerin fully support and wish Emperor Peter as their leader, for whatever reason I can't think of they fail to comply. We then take military action, take control of their nuclear weapons and we remove him from power. What do we do when the people of Achkaerin demand him back? What do we do when the people of Achkaerin say they don't want a government change? I believe the article isn't fit for the purpose of this treaty which is designed to stop nuclear weapons not determine a rightful government of another nation."

The King moved onto his second point. " As it stands there is no real blockade as yet, resources are still moving into the region and chances are by the time we conclude things today it could well be irrelevant. I believe the 400km limit that the Alanders suggested is a more than reasonable compromise. In regards to Lakhzovia receiving Slava Lavosk's fuel that is a matter for those two nations to organise, however I would urge that it takes place under whatever guidelines the MAEA put in place. I would also be more than happy to lend the Lakhzovian's if they undertake the project expertise of the Morelanders who were part of the Kilotonnes to Kilowatts project to support it.

Finally however we come to this issue of an international coalition to look to Slava Lavosk's security. This is not a matter for these talks. Slava Lavosk is, just like any nation, able to seek for itself allies and support wherever it sees fit. At one point for example even the East Moreland military were providing support for Slava Lavosk's boarder security with our Roboguard project of semi-autonomous vehicles. I believe they still have a few in use. However when the question of their internment of certain ethnic groups were raised we saw fit to place a stop on further sales or support. To my knowledge the Maori also made contact with Slava Lavosk however I believe those talks broke down over issues with a similar matter of the camps. However that is something I can not say for sure, the point however is that prior to this nuclear build up there were nations willing to work with Slava Lavosk in various formats. That is something that could well happen in the future however its a matter for Slava Lavosk's President to pursue in his own time and not one an international treaty should determine. I firmly believe the treaty of the table is a fair one, treats all four nations evenly and is realistically achievable."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2019, 12:30:23 AM »
Peter had sat there and listened, it was amazing how often this chain of events played out in these sorts of summits when Beatrice spoke for the first time Sakura wrote defeat snatched from the jaws of victory on a piece of paper then when Kadassa had spoken Peter had added x2 to the end of that, Beatrice's response had seen Sakura turn x2 into x3 without much effort.

"I suggest we separate the issues here." Peter said "We seem to be talking about two situations, first nuclear weapons and second the concerns President Kravec has I would suggest we are best suited dealing with them separately. First let us consider the matter of nuclear weapons. The proposal made by the Alanders is acceptable as far as I can see, it treats the four nations with nuclear weapons equally. In fact the only suggestions I would make in regards to the proposed treaty is to suggest that should the MAEA come into being that all nuclear nations agree to be members of that organisation, I would also suggest we consider extending the sanctions mentioned within the treaty to violations of article nine. We should also remember that this is a treaty that is meant to apply across the board to each nation on Mundus in regards to their rights in respect of nuclear weapons if we start adding articles concerning Slava Lavosk's concerns then to put it in a rather crude manner we risk diluting the effectiveness of the treaty by obligating nations to accept conditions that are unrelated to the treaty context.

In regards to the section proposed by Rokkenjima, I agree with King David the point of the treaty is to stop nuclear weapons not say who the rightful leader or leaders of a nation are. I also agree however that military force is something that cannot be ruled out but I agree with President Kadassa and King David that it should not feature in this treaty. The point is that articles five and seven of the proposed treaty outline a list of sanctions to be taken against nuclear powers that fail to provide verification or meet deadlines in relation to decommissioning or dismantling of nuclear weapons, it's far from helpful to lump military force in with them because these sanctions are not progressive in terms of first a then b and then c, they are in fact a package of sanctions that come in at the same time. It is also true that if a nation commits to this agreement and then refuses to comply with it that action needs to be taken, and if the sanctions don't prove effective for whatever reason then consideration of other options is going to happen, but let's be absolutely clear that the use of military force in any situation is the last resort. I therefore propose the following amendments

Peter moved a piece of note paper with the amendments outlined on it to the centre of the table

3. The Nuclear Nations agree to allow a delegation of experts drawn from Non-Nuclear Nations to verify the numbers and types of nuclear weapons in their possession. Should an agreement be reached to form the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency this team shall be drawn from members of that Agency and the nuclear nations shall agree to membership of the organisation. should that agreement fail to materialise then the verification team shall be drawn from nations present at these talks.

8. Both Nuclear and Non Nuclear nations agree that they shall not detonate or otherwise test nuclear devices in any way. Any nation that detonates or tests a nuclear device in contravention of this article they shall be subject to the following sanctions by all signatory nations:

9. Sanctions put in place under Article 5, 7 or 8 shall remain in place until such a time as Verification complient with Article 3 is given. A nation that is sanctioned under Article 8 shall be regarded as a Nuclear Nation and held accountable to the relevant provisions concerning that status.

"In my opinion these amendments don't alter the spirit of the treaty but they do tighten it up a little more on the legal side of things. However even if we agree to the amendments we lack one thing." Peter paused turning his eyes to Beatrice "And that is the undertaking from Rokkenjima that in the event of this agreement being made that they will resume their decommissioning program with immediate effect. This treaty can deliver the nuclear free Mundus we all hope for but it needs the four nuclear nations in this room to agree to it and I'll be blunt peddling the impasse position of 'disarm or be disarmed' does nothing to help the cause of a nuclear free Mundus it in fact hinders it. So will the Empress of Rokkenjima please give the undertaking that we now require?

Finally in regards to the concerns President Kravec has, as King David has outlined the blockade that Rokkenjima and Tytor propose to implement is not yet in place and can be avoided if we get an agreement here today. The concerns President Kravec has are legitimate and I'm quite happy to listen to them and to work with him to address them, I would only ask that that that conversation takes place after we have concluded this matter of nuclear weapons so we can avoid a blurring of the two issues." 

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2019, 07:21:36 AM »
"Rokkenjima has been quite clear that it shall resume its arrangements with the Kingdom of Seaforth upon a successful resolution of this Conference," Beatrice replied in a matter-of-fact manner. "I represent perhaps the only government which sits at this table which didn't build a nuclear arsenal; indeed, we inherited it from the Federal Republic who developed their capability for the reasons Kravec is parading before the international community. A treaty which ensures nuclear weapons are relegated to the past enjoys Rokkenjiman support, and so long as we ensure strong verification and teeth with a strong bite, that is excellent. It would be a great folly, however, to pat ourselves on the back and some time later see that our efforts were for naught due to actors who had trust placed in them that should never have been granted in the first place. We have but one shot at this approach, it's thus upon us to ensure the contingencies are well addressed."

When she finished speaking she sent a quick text message to Kadassa.

"We need five minutes alone."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2019, 06:09:12 PM »
Kadassa received the message and read it quickly 'Typical monarchs' he thought to himself sighing inwardly as he began to prepare for whatever chewing out he was about to receive from the Empress.

He steeled himself and then motioned for a brief recess, upon which he made his way to a set of doors that let out on to a balcony, propping himself on the balustrade and took a deep breath of fresh air as the figure of Beatrice sidled up beside him.

"So, you wanted to speak to me?" he said given the Empress the briefest of glances.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2019, 08:31:24 AM »
"Indeed," Beatrice said with the irritation clear in her tone. "Perhaps you could explain what the hell I just heard from you in there? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but Lakhzovia and Rokkenjima are allies, yes? I've always been there for you when I could be, yes? I've also stood against the advice of my own officials and allies on paper Achkaerin in offering you a level of support you don't enjoy with any other nation, yes? So why could a casual observer be mistaken for believing Lakhzovia is an ally of Slava Lavosk from the display you just put on?"

Beatrice paused, "During the last trouble with that forsaken land Rokkenjima was stabbed in the back by it's LISA "allies", due to that, Rokkenjima saw a referendum which saw it removed from LISA. Even with all of your issues and the clear concerns that many could raise about your government, I have stood at your side, discounting the concerns of the aforementioned parties and my own family in the form of Evanthe. Was I wrong to put such faith in you, Kadassa? Should I have perhaps listened to them?"

"Because," she looked straight into his eyes with a stare that could pierce through to the soul as if it were a knife, "I am done dealing with allies of convenience, I am done with fair weather friends, and I have had it up to here with these sort of fucking surprises. I am a woman of my word and have given you no reason to doubt mine and, please remember, I wouldn't have to make up a story; if I wished it, Slava Lavosk could be wiped off the map minutes from now. So what have I done to deserve such a betrayal?"

Pausing again Beatrice sighed, speaking solemnly "I'm only going to say this once, don't fuck me Sachim. I've already enough knives in my back and will absolutely not bear another. Also, we'll have no transfers of material between Slava Lavosk and Lakhzovia, such a plan is not only irresponsible but wholly insane given the standing of Lakhzovia in the broader international community. You'll have every intelligence agency on Mundus poking holes in your defenses and succeeding and," she lowered her voice, "should you have nefarious intentions, every fiber of my being is committed to a nuclear-free Mundus. In such a case, you would be shown no mercy."

"I do not enjoy speaking to you like this," she said, reflecting on Kadassa's visit to Rokkenjima, "but I will not be stabbed in the back again; the era where nations walked over Rokkenjima as if they had divine right to is long in the rear view mirror. So I guess what I need to know is, are you still with me, or are you another fair-weather friend of convenience?"

Beatrice Anselmo