Author Topic: Voices of Culture - A Munduswide Magazine  (Read 1743 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
Voices of Culture - A Munduswide Magazine
« on: July 22, 2019, 11:13:28 AM »
Code: [Select]
[center][img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/324270106177699860/602804111565520917/Untitled.png[/img]

[img]URL HERE[/url]

[size=28pt][b]HEADLINE HERE[/b][/size][/center]

Voices of Culture will be a kind of editorial magazine for articles connecting different cultures and festivals.

Essentially if its the kind of thing you'd find in National Geographical it can go here.

Free for anyone to use.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
Re: Voices of Culture - A Munduswide Magazine
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:16:25 PM »

HARBY:- WHERE THREE WORLDS COLLIDE

On the tiny island of Harby located in the middle of the Alucard a unique atmopshere exists. It is an island that has blended the cultures of Lodja, Paracambi and Bakkermaya, the central parties of what have become known as the Tuna-nations. The island was originally part of the wider Lodjian collection of islands but was lost to the Paracambians in the early 13th century only for it to fall under Bakkermayan control in the late 14th. The Treaty of Harby was signed in 1398 between the then Duke Francis Middleton, a Horseman of Jekar and Prince Edvin Mualako of Paracambi signifiyting that the island would now become part of the Grand Duchy however that the Horseman would offer protection to the Vodou worshipping subjects on the island. Ironically no agreement was ever put in place to ensure similar protection for the Sessifet worshipping former Lodjian community who remained, this was rectified in 2019 when Queen Klara of Lodja and the current Duchess, Rhiannon Farmer, signed a historic agreement that formalised what had existed in practice for centuries, that those worshipping Sessifet would not be stopped from doing so.

This unique blend of cultures has created a melting pot that has lead to some calling Harby an island of three corners and many ways that can be said of Bakkermaya as a whole. It is a member of both the Ardian and Albion regional organisations while ultimatley seeing its greatest connection north across the Mhorish with East Moreland. It is an island that draws upon the highly liberal culture of Lodja, the flamboyance of Paracambi and the heraldic background of East Moreland. Today demographically speaking the island is less representative of these different cultures, some 50% of the island follow the Cult of Helus, 25% follow Vodou, 15% follow Sessifet while a further large minority follow the other Paracambian tradition of Rastafarianism. Nowhere is this mix of cultures more visible than Paulton, a city named for the Horseman of Jekar's beloved almost mythical leader King Paul The Explorer. Here the city streets are illuminated in an evening with the wild inviting colours often seen in Paracambian streets, bars cater to a wide range of tastes, be it tradition East Moreland style BBQ where such meats as Bear are replaced with goat, or in some cases Lodjian hearty stews. Even the music blearing out of the busy bars on a Friday night varies, reggae heavily influenced by the Paracambian involvement with the past mixes with the more modern rock and folk favoured by Morelandish tastes. One such fusion of this comes from the locally popular band Skindred who recently played Glastomundus.

Skindred

Skindred feature a Vodou worshipping front man, a drummer who is a Cultist and two Sessifet worshipping guitarists. The band have been growing in popularity over the last five years, particularly in Paulton. Benji Webbe describes their origins, "We all used to hang out in the different music venues that you find in downtown. As things go you start to get to know different people, I was fronting a ten man reggae group, Daniel was in a rock tribute band and the brothers were in a little rock trio. Overtime we hung out and thought it would be fun to do our own thing and Skindred was formed. We're not the first band to do this and we won't be the last. Its natural that you merge the things around you that you grow by your influences. Now we have what we like to call a Harby sound." The band have begun now to see global acclaim with tours of Paracambi, East Moreland and Lodja all scheduled for 2020. "In many ways being from Harby is a blessing for industries like this, we've a connection straight away with three nations and three continents, it gets you a foot in the door and often that's all you need." Webbe explained. A trip downtown on a Friday night also shows this to be the case as just sitting in a bar you can find yourself listening to Bob Marley one moment, the Who the next and everything in between.

It isn't just music that has seen a merging of cultures. It is estimated that around 80% of marriages on Harby that are mixed faith. One couple we spoke to was Lilian Mathasda and Charlie Putnam, a Vodouist and Cultist who are due to tie the knot in November. The marriage for someone following Vodou involves mixing drops of their blood in a bowl that are then used to anoint a statue of one of the many Vodou spirits, meanwhile in the Cult of Helus couples literally tie a knot using their birth blankets. The couple told us of their plans when Lilian described their planned day, "We intend to have a kind of parade through our local area, just like my parents did when they got married, then at the Vodou temple we'll anoint the statue before continuing on to the Temple." Charlie then described how "at the temple we'll be tied together and then be blessed by a Priestess." Thus by combining the two different ceremonies into a single one the pair will have become man and wife. The matter of marriage though has caused a few issues on the island, particularly among those worshipping Sessifet. In that faith it is permitted and expected that a woman take more than one husband, however Polygamy is outlawed this however has not stopped the practice. It is a kind of open secret that some Sessifet Priestesses will conduct additional ceremonies and that the "marriage" is never registered formally. This has seen a few problems in the past when it has come to inheritance in the Sessifetian community, along with issues such as social security payments and the like. One such couple, who wished not to be named explained. The wife, who we shall call Mary told us, "I have three husbands, we're all dedicated to our faith and have a large family with five children. Last year my husband John (not his real name) became ill and because he was my second husband I was not listed anywhere officially as his next of kin. I wasn't allowed to make decisions for him in terms of his treatment and at one point the hospital even threatened to have me arrested." John added to this saying, "As a family we don't get the same tax breaks as the Cultists or Vodouists. They receive tax rebates for every child they have, we only receive it for Mary and Jack (not real name of first husband) children." This has in some cases lead to the practice of Sessifetian couples claiming child tax benefits to have to undertake DNA tests for every child, something Mary, John and Jack have said is akin to "Racism" as Jack explained. "Its as though they are saying unless a traditional Vodou or Cultist family exists its not a real family. Sessifetian kids need shoes and school books just as much."

While the islands views on marriage may not have merged happily for everyone there has been a visible merger in the governance of the island since its young Duchess took over. Rhiannon Farmer is 24 years of age and inherited the Dukedom two years ago following the death of her elder brother Timothy in a terrorist attack by Borlanders while in East Moreland. Duchess Rhiannon is the youngest of the six Ducal leaders of Bakkermaya and has in her short time done much to try and show a connection to each of the communities on the island. One of her first moves was to appoint to her Ducal Council a Sessifetian and Cultist Priestess as well as a Vodou Houngan.  She has also made sure she is a visible attendee at each of the faiths celebrations and has hosted a series of Lodjain style balls last summer. Even her own sense of style seems to be influenced by the Sessifetian influence on the island. One local media analyst explained, "She favours some of the more, how we should say, flamboyant styles normally associated with Lodja. In her youth her social media seemed to be an obsession much as we see with many young Lodjains her age and she does see her appearance as being important, another trait associated with the Sessifetian faith." At the same time she is clearly devoted to the Cult of Helus, she carries a sword having done service in the faith as a trainee Priestess prior to her brother being murdered, she additionally has also served in the islands volunteer ambulance service where she is still a registered helper. Many see Duchess Rhiannon as a kind of symbiosis of the three cultures in harmony.

With the formation of the TUNA agreement it is likely that the nations of East Moreland, Lodja and Paracambi will have an even more increasing access to Harby and other similar islands such as Wellow. The next ten years or so will be interesting to see whether the people of Harby turn back towards what they still see as their traditional homelands or whether this increasing melting pot continues.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Voices of Culture - A Munduswide Magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »

THE FAEJEON - A PEEK INSIDE THIS SECLUDED CULTURE

Following the surprising announcement and invitation that went out Mundus wide a few days ago, it seems appropriate to ask who are the Faejeon? It's a very secluded culture and most texts on them are quite thin on detail, which is perhaps expected when it is considered that the Faejeon are found largely on the island of Awhaele and in a small town outside of Mossflower in Achkaerin. So what do we know of the Faejeon? To find out more about them we travelled to the island of Awhaele to find out as much as we could about this most enigmatic of cultures. On our arrival we were privileged to be able to meet with a member of the High Council of the Faejeon - Silvana Adsys who is the Chief Scientist otherwise known as Head of the Science Guild.

Silvana Adsys

During our conversation with the Chief Scientist we had several of our significant questions answered. We have included these below:

What are the Guilds?

"The Guilds are our social structure there are five of them, the military guild, the science guild, the theology guild, the arts guild and the labour guild. Each is led by a member of the High Council so as Chief Scientist I am not only the head of the Science Guild but I am also a member of the High Council, the Military Guild is responsible for all our military as the name suggests but also encompasses our law enforcement, they are our protectors. The Science Guild as you may imagine is made up of our finest scientific and engineering minds, it's the youngest guild but no less respected than the others and carries out most scientific and technological research. The Theology Guild is of course the Guild responsible for our religious way of life, for interpreting our religious texts and for leading the various religious ceremonies we have in our society. The Arts guild is where we find our most cultural minds, the artists, the musicians, the architects, the scholars, the writers, the teachers and so on these are the people who historically pass down our history from one generation to the next and are perhaps our best ambassadors due to their profile. Finally there's the Labour Guild, in simple terms this is the guild that comprises everything else, here you find our farmers, miners, fishermen, traders and so on. They are the oldest of the guilds."

How does a Faejeon join a Guild?

"At the age of eighteen every Faejeon comes before the High Council, they bring with them their provenance, which is a combination of their ancestry, their school reports and teacher references all of this documentation is brought to support the eighteen year olds choice of Guild it's sort of like a university application process seen in other nations in that you rank according to preference. They are essentially interviewed by the High Council and a test set by the leader of the preferred guild is taken, generally if the test is passed then the High Council will approve the choice otherwise we move down the list until the High Council believes it can assign a person to a guild. So for example I ranked my preferences with science at the top and arts second, I was fortunate enough to pass the science test I was set, had I not then I would have taken the arts test to see if I could get into my second choice guild."

What about the Queen, is she in a guild?

"To some extent yes she will be. She chose the science guild as her first choice and passed the test so she is a member of that guild. However she is the Queen so she becomes the head of the High Council and she becomes the overall commander of the military forces so there are numerous overlaps between her Royal duties and other Guilds."

What does the future hold for the Faejeon?

"I hope it holds a positive and peaceful future, we are the indigenous people of this island and while we co-exist peacefully with those who are not native of our land, as we always have, I don't know what's going to happen about the current situation on Awhaele because that largely depends on the Prime Minister."

Following our interview we paid a visit to Mount Rao, the most sacred religious site on the island and in the faith of Raoism (the faith the Faejeon follow)

Mount Rao

At Mount Rao we talked with some of the Priesthood about their faith and learned a little of the deities the Faejeon worship. The God Rao is their primary God in much the same way that Helus or Odin might be considered the primary deity in their respective faiths. There are also other Gods and Goddesses - Telle the God of wisdom, Lorra the Goddess of Beauty, Mordo the God of war, Yuda the God of the moon and Cythonna the Goddess of faith are the most prominent of the Pantheon, each of these five is also seen as a patron of a guild, Telle for science, Lorra for arts, Mordo for military, Yuda for labour and Cythonna for theology. Rao is naturally worshipped by all Faejeon. We also heard mention of entities known as Nightwing and Flamebird but we were not able to glean further information.

It appears then that the Faejeon are a deeply spiritual and somewhat secluded people on the verge of stepping out into the Mundus of the twenty first century in much the same way that other nations have previously ended their own periods of isolationism. What the future holds for this culture isn't clear but with a new Queen due to be crowned there's a renewed sense of purpose and hope running through this society like a river running through the countryside.