Author Topic: Observing Tradition  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Observing Tradition
« on: October 30, 2019, 10:38:05 PM »
Prince Jack Azurewind hadn't been in Lodja that long, in truth his had been quite upbeat about the timing, the social season that was the pantheon of Lodjan Balls had been a great opportunity for him to settle into the nation and meet various people and just generally get to know the place. He should have known something would go slightly awry, partly because he'd momentarily forgotten about the local tradition but also because someone had gotten a picture of him attending a few of the Balls with Katyusha Andronikashivili. He'd very much enjoyed spending time with Katyusha, they'd talked a lot about music and their other mutual interests, they'd even done the odd bit of improv with his guitar and her balalaika.

It was fair to say that he was attracted to Katyusha, after all she was a beautiful, intelligent and graceful young woman with a great sense of humour, Jack was definitely interested in courting Katyusha, to use the formal term, and in Lodja under these circumstances that meant that he needed the permission of Queen Klara, it was nothing new in one sense after all it was still sort of the done thing in such relationships though usually it involved the parents of the other party not the monarch. However that said it was important when in another nation to be mindful of that nations customs. Which was why Jack had managed with the help of Emalet Silvermist, the Achkaerinese ambassador to Lodja, to get an audience with the Queen to ask about this. However her admission to hospital had changed the dynamic somewhat.

Jack waited patiently in the hallway of the Palace to be shown in to see whichever of the three person council it was to be.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
Re: Observing Tradition
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 10:15:44 PM »
There had been a short wait for Jack to get shown into the throne room where the trio of the Queen's representatives were gathered. His status as a visiting Prince meant he essentially got to cut the line as one of the Royal Chamberlain's announced him. Alla Kohan leaned over and whispered to King Leopold who was sat in the middle seat. "Another foreign royal wanting a Lodjain noblewoman on his arm. Seems our ladies have become this seasons must have fashion item" the High Priestess and King chuckled. Leopold was no stranger to Palace gossip and had attended a few of the balls himself so the connection between Jack and Katyusha was not one he'd failed to notice. The Prince's appearence and the rumours of secret music sessions meant he could probably guess what was about to come.

"Your Highness" Besarian greeted him on behalf of the trio appointed in the Queen's abscence. "I'm delighted to see you throwing yourself into our way of life here in the Palace. Sadly as you know rather than being blessed with the Queen's prescence you have to put up with us" he gestured with a broad smile to the King and the High Priestess.

"I'm sure you'll find we are just as capable as the Queen in examining anything you've brought before us." King Leopold added. "So young Prince. What brings you to the throne room?" Leopold leaned back in his chair giving the Prince a chance to speak.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 10:00:37 PM »
Jack took a moment to compose his thoughts before speaking.

"First I'd like to thank you for seeing me especially at such a time as this when I'm sure you're all quite busy with your present responsibilities." Jack said "I came to Lodja to do two things, I came to further my studies by attending university and I also wanted to experience a different culture than the one back in Achkaerin. One of my first experiences of your nations fine culture was your annual ball season. I attended several of these balls with Lady Katyusha Andronikashivili, a quite beautiful, intelligent and good natured young woman whom through my time here thus far I have found myself attracted to. I am mindful that the tradition in this country is to receive the permission of her Divine Majesty before proceeding with such a relationship." he paused "Therefore I come to you in her stead to ask your permission to court Lady Katyusha."

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 10:45:50 PM »
Leopold chuckled to himself as it seemed the Palace gossip was once again accurate. "Kaytusha is a beautiful young lady and I'm certain that they're are across the Queendom more than a handful of nobles who would wish to court her. As you know under Lodjain customs she'd be more than entitled to court you and other men, that is something if we permit you that you should prepare yourself for. After all it seems getting an attractive young Lodjain bride for foreign royals is this seasons fashion must have. A Seleucid, a Morelander and now a Prince from Achkaerin. Just keep in mind though those men are Kings and so have more power to entice the women in their lives to stay monogamous." He felt it important to make sure the young Prince knew what Lodjain relationships could be, especially if he was remaining in the nation. "So I suppose I should ask how you'd view Kaytusha courting other men?"

The High Priestess threw her own opinion. "Kaytusha is a member of the royal household, while not a Lady in Waiting she is as close to it as you could be. Therefore it is no small thing you being allowed to officially take her to your bed. You would become by association a part of the court here and that brings certain expectations. What would you add to the Court? Why should we give you a gift given to us from Sessifet?"

Besarian interupted, "Your Holiness" He leaned forward to look at Alla. "Achkaerin are friends of our friends of East Moreland. I think that is a decent partnership to build upon and I'm sure the young Prince would be able to help there with a young Lodjain noble on his arm."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 12:40:13 AM »
Jack had half expected some questions and he'd half expected some of the ones he'd been asked he took a moment to collect his thoughts, turning first to Leopold

"I doubt it comes as any surprise that as someone from a country where monogamy is the practice that the possibility didn't arise, however if it happened then it's something that I would have to adapt to in much the same way that King David would have to adapt to it if Lady Stasya exercised the same tradition. If Katyusha wishes to court other men then as you rightly say under Lodjan traditions and customs that is her right and I would respect that." Jack said he then looked to where Alla and Besarian sat both of them had asked essentially the same sort of thing, in truth Besarian had provided more of the answer than a question.

"Your Holiness asks fairly what I would add to the court." Jack continued "Well and I believe Lord Besarian has touched on this my answer to that is this - the two most developed treaty networks on Mundus belong to East Moreland and Achkaerin and that's before mentioning the strong bond those two nations share between themselves. By tradition if I were to marry Katyusha she would become a Princess of Achkaerin and thereby become a member of the Achkaerinese Royal Family in essence that opens up many opportunities for her and by association Lodja certainly with Achkaerin but also potentially with others as well."

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2019, 10:18:45 PM »
The three Lodjains pulled their heads together to discuss what they had heard. "Prince Jack we have determined that we shall grant you permission." King Leopold began, "Although be warned should some Lodjain noble present himself and ask we would also grant them permission. After all she is from a wealthy family and quiet a captavating creature. I'm sure some kind of favour will be asked for in the coming weeks from my wife as well." It was how business was done in Lodja, a favour required another and most of the nobles owed several favours and received them at alarming rates.