Author Topic: Faith, Hope and Love  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Faith, Hope and Love
« on: March 05, 2020, 03:30:18 PM »
Faith, Hope and Love

Martin Deed was once a Church of Achkaerin Pastor but he suffered a crisis of faith following the death of his wife, while raising his daughter Kathryn as a single parent he converted to Catholicism, he became adopted father and then mentor to a young man who would go onto become Pope Peter II and was elevated to the office of Cardinal in the Church, he also holds the prestigious parish of Santiago. However events around him are set to challenge him as what he believes goes up against Catholic doctrine. These are the snapshots of Martin's life as he tries to balance out his life, help his parishioners, preach the good news and stay true to what he believes.

Author's Note: As some are aware I am in RL what is termed a Local Preacher in the UK Methodist Church, all sermons contained within are ones that I have personally preached but Mundusified so that they fit the RP Canon (this isn't an evangelism exercise it's just easier for writing purposes to use what I've done previously), all content where necessary will be credited appropriately.

Table of Contents

Beginnings
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 01:35:31 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Faith, Hope and Love
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 05:53:31 PM »
Beginnings

Martin Deed wasn't a big fan of standing around in hospital corridors, they brought back memories of one of the most painful times in his life, his late wife Georgina had died from a very nasty tropical disease in a hospital, Martin hadn't been a Catholic at the time he'd been a Pastor in the Church of Achkaerin which was a more protestant outfit. Only a year earlier in the same hospital where he'd lost Georgina, Martin had been welcoming his daughter Kathryn into the world, that had of course been some years ago but hospital corridors still got to Martin the good news was that they at least didn't sting as much as they once had. Today Martin was waiting outside the hospital room occupied by the man who had once been known as Alexander Deed before becoming Pope Peter II, he'd been forced to stand down on health grounds and was terminally ill. Martin looked around at the sound of hurriedly approaching footsteps, it was his daughter Kathryn Deed, every bit the spitting image of her mother, she was also the local Senator and Minister of Science and Technology in the Achkaerinese Government.

"Sorry I'm late, surgery went later than I thought." Kathryn said, she was referring to her constituency surgery a semi drop in semi appointment based day whereby any of the locals who had an issue that they thought she could help with came and saw her, usually it was stuff like parking regulations, road quality, dogs fouling in the local park and so on. "Anything happened yet?"
"No sign of the doctor yet." Martin said, then right on cue the door to the room opened and out stepped Doctor Tammy Axon, she was the Government's science advisor and was doing this as a favour to Kathryn.
"How bad is it?" Martin asked
"You remember when we admitted him that we said we needed to do some tests to see what precisely we were dealing with?" Tammy asked
"Yes." Martin said
"You may want to sit down." Tammy said
"Just say it." Martin said
"Huntingtons" Tammy said
"That's a bad one isn't it?" Kathryn asked

"Yes." Tammy said "It kills brain cells and there's no cure for it. All told he's not in any imminent danger yet but that could change at any point and when this gets advanced he's going to need full time care. I'm going to put him on medication to assist with his movement and the like and then I'll discharge him from hospital if you've got somewhere he can go."
"There's a Church run care home." Martin said "I made arrangements for him to have a place there."
"Ok." Tammy said
"Thanks Tammy." Kathryn said, Tammy smiled and walked away to fill in the appropriate forms, Kathryn looked at her father "Well?"
"Well what?" Martin asked
"You've been wanting to meet my girlfriend for weeks." Kathryn said "You just did."
"Tammy's your girlfriend?" Martin asked "She seems...nice."
"That's all you've got?" Kathryn asked
"You just bombshelled me with that give me a chance." Martin said that got a grin from Kathryn.
"Are you cooking tonight?" Kathryn asked "Or is it my turn?"
"I'm cooking." Martin said "On one condition."
"Which is?" Kathryn asked
"That you invite the good doctor along." Martin said
"I thought we agreed I'd never do that." Kathryn said
"Let me worry about the trouble." Martin said "I'm your father it's in the job description."
"Fine." Kathryn said

That evening found Martin in the kitchen cooking the evening meal, he'd opted for a nice salmon with some chips and veg he quite enjoyed cooking and always had, he was also a half decent baker which came in handy at church fetes and bake sales. He plated up the food and carried the plates into the dining room where Kathryn and a rather nervous Tammy were sat.
"Thanks Dad." Kathryn said as Martin put the food in front of them
"Anyone want a drink?" Martin asked
"I'm ok thank you." Tammy said she had half a glass of lemonade
"So." Martin said as they started eating "How long have you two been going out?"
"About six months." Kathryn said
"Mr Deed..." Tammy said
"Call me Martin." Martin said
"Martin I know you're a Catholic..." Tammy said
"Just let me stop you right there." Martin said "You don't have to explain yourselves to me. Kathryn's my daughter and I love her very much for the person she is regardless of stuff like sexual orientation."
"There are things in the Catholic Church that Dad's not completely supportive of." Kathryn said
"The Bible teaches us that the love of God is universally unconditional. I don't therefore accept that you can say love is wrong simply because of the manner in which it is expressed." Martin said "Moment you qualify it based on things like sexual orientation you make it conditional."
"You're not quite what I expected." Tammy said
"You aren't the first to say that." Martin said, he glanced at Kathryn "I like her."