Author Topic: Tarrenburg Castle Summit  (Read 7615 times)

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
Tarrenburg Castle Summit
« on: June 01, 2020, 08:54:09 PM »
The Kingdom of Tytor
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
CTO Office

To: Nations and International Organizations of Mundus
Attn: Members of the CTO, CMA

Pursuant to the goals of CTO General Assembly Resolution #0024, it is my responsibility and pleasure to extend a formal invitation to the world's nations to attend a summit to be held Tarrenburg Castle, Tarrenburg, East Crownlands, Tytor, on Monday, June 8, 2020.  This summit is intended to address the shortcomings of Mundus's various international organizations, particularly those designed to promote international unity and world peace.  The primary topic of discussion will be the future of the Commonwealth Treaty Organization and, if its members agree to attend, the Cross Mundus Agency, along with the present redundancy in purpose of the two bodies.  It is the expressed hope of the General Assembly of the CTO that a solution may be found that will promote the overarching goals of both within the context of the modern world.

Attending representatives are requested to arrive at Tarrenburg Castle by 9:30 AM, WAST, on Monday, June 8, 2020.  Upon arrival, representatives will be directed to the castle's South Ballroom, where the summit will take place.  The summit will commence at 10:00 AM, with a full luncheon provided at or shortly after 12:00 PM, depending on the state of the discussion at that point.  Light refreshments will be available upon request during the deliberations.  The summit is expected to conclude by 6:00 PM, whereupon representatives are invited to enjoy a dinner hosted by His Majesty King Michael I of Tytor.  If the need arises for additional days of deliberation, accomodations can be found in the surrounding city of Tarrenburg.  Schedules for subsequent days will be provided upon completion of Day 1 of the summit.

On behalf of the elected government of Tytor and the General Assembly of the CTO, I wish to express my hope that this summit will be met with enthusiasm by those attending, and that it will find success in meeting its goals for increased international cooperation and the maintenance of world peace.

Signed,
Blake Stevenson, Tytorian Representative to the CTO

Countersigned,
Sir Gregory Major, Minister of Foreign Affairs
Madeline Thatcher, Prime Minister
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Re: Tarrenburg Castle Summit
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 12:38:11 PM »

To: The Kingdom of Tytor
Addressed to: His Excellency, Blake Stevenson, Tytorian Representative to the CTO

I would like to formally announce that the Tamoran Empire, after careful consideration, has decided to accept the invitation to the summit put forward by the kingdom of Tytor which seeks to promote international unity and world peace. The Tamoran Empire has often been the target of international sanctions through no fault of our own and it is this our hope that such an endeavor as the one initiated by your kingdom will allow for diplomacy and talks to take place instead on unilateral decisions and isolationism.

Respectfully yours,
Alya Safavid
Head of Foreign Affairs 

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 08:28:38 PM »

The Tarrenburg Castle Summit

The First Empire respects the vast efforts of the Kingdom of Tytor represented by the Tarrenburg Castle Summit and is pleased to announce the following delegation:

Empress Evanthe Rhodes
Vicegerent Emerson Ravenswood
Imperial Councillor for Foreign Affairs Yuriko Faust
Michael Kennsington, Imperial Liaison for the Commonwealth

I look forward to a productive Summit and working alongside our allies, partners and even our detractors to put in place a system which achieves the original goals and purposes of the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation.

In friendship;

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princess of Arovium

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 08:49:58 PM »

The Holy Empire of Achkaerin, while believing the goals of the CTO were noble ultimately decided that the practice of the organisation was significantly disconnected from the theory to the point where it became impossible for Achkaerin to remain a member of the organisation. However we believe in giving a fair hearing to the Tytorian attempt to address the organisations issues and we will then evaluate the options. We've also noted that the invitation has been sent to various international organisations so Achkaerin's delegation will comprise our representatives to those organisations and will be fronted by Crown Princess Serenity Azurewind and Sheriff Sakura Sheppard alongside Minister for Foreign Affairs Richard Chambers and Minister for the Diplomatic Office Cheryl Holmes.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline Ryan

• Basically New Zealand
  • I pronounce my r’s. Dunkin>Starbucks
    • View Profile
    • Factbook of the Commonwealth of Soleimani
  • Your Nation: Republic of Ragha
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 03:17:05 AM »

The Commonwealth of Soleimani realizes that the current system that both the CTO and CMA operate under is broken and outdated. For this reason, Soleimani wants to become a part of the efforts to connect the world’s nations and work to ensure progress by rebuilding the system to be more inviting and efficient. We need a stronger international government, now more than ever as we face one of Mundus’ largest and most complex international crises of the modern era.

Sincerely,
    Ronan Minstra

The Commonwealth Announces the Following Delegation:
Executive Senator Ronan Minstra
Secretary of State Benyamin Nahal
Acting Secretary of Foreign Affairs Soraya Ardavan

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 08:25:38 PM »
The Federal Republic of Centralia
Department of State

To: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Tytor

This message is intended to relay the intention of the Federal Republic of Centralia to attend the summit at Tarrenburg Castle.  While Centralia and Tytor have had their differences, we believe that such a momentous occasion as this deserves our attention.  Accordingly, I will arrive in Tytor with two of my aides in advance of the summit; I hope that the discussion will be as fruitful as possible.

Signed,
R. Edward Young, Secretary of State

(OOC: I'm polishing up the summit's kick-off post, so I'll say here that anyone and everyone is still invited.  If you haven't had a chance to RSVP, feel free to show up anyway and we'll act like you did.  The summit should begin before I go to bed tonight.)
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »
South Ballroom, Tarrenburg Castle
June 8th, 2020
9:59 AM, WAST

The noise level in the ballroom was approaching a dull roar.  Madeline Thatcher, Prime Minister of Tytor and presiding member of the Tytorian delegation, gazed at the assembled delegates with some bemusement.  In particular, she found herself surprised that the Centralians had decided to show, what with the longtime animosity between New Providence and Tsargrad.  Less surprising was the attendance of Tamora's delegation, since the Tamorans were working so hard to establish themselves as a force to be reckoned with on the world stage.  Of course, the presence of the Rokkenjiman and Achkaerinese delegations was no surprise at all; each nation had been committed to international cooperation since long before Thatcher's administration had begun.  The overall composition of the summit's attendees was like a core sample of Mundus's very ethno-political makeup; diversity of opinion, appearance, and even fashion sense abounded.

Thatcher caught the eye of Sir Gregory Major, Minister of Foreign Affairs and the chosen moderator for this opening session of the summit.  He gave her a slight nod from his position at the head of the large table that was being utilized for the purpose of the summit and glanced at a clock mounted high on the wall opposite.  After a moment's pause, he stood up and cleared his throat.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he called loudly over the general hubbub, "Honored delegates, your attention please."  He waited until the noise subsided before continuing.  "We are gathered here on this historic occasion for the purpose of addressing the issues that face our great international community," he went on, "The chief of these issues is, I believe, the lack of one coordinated body of arbitration empowered to aid in the resolution of disputes in our modern world.  There have been multiple attempts to establish such an organization throughout recent years, but each has failed in its overarching goal.  Most of you will remember the now-defunct Covenant of Nations.  I think we are all aware also of the contemporary Commonwealth Treaty Organization and Cross Mundus Agency, the latter of which split off from the former after repeated failures and bureaucratic holdups.  This summit, called under the authority of a CTO resolution, was, I admit, originally intended by the Tytorian government as a chance to revitalize the CTO in particular, while mending bridges with and perhaps reabsorbing the CMA.  After extensive deliberations, however, my Tytorian colleagues and I have come to the conclusion that such a course would be counterproductive, inevitably leaving many of the problems that led to the split unaddressed.  Accordingly, I wish now to present an alternative; that is, a new charter for a new organization to supersede and subsume both the CTO and the CMA, bringing the nations of Mundus together in the spirit of cooperation and unity.  Each of you has been given a folder with an initial draft of this new charter.  It is incomplete, but this is by design.  If this new project is to work, it must be built on a foundation of cooperation, it must be fashioned with the input of all who wish to contribute, and it must be representative of all.  The draft as it stands contains the framework for the charter we hope to create here today, along with initial proposals for certain sections from the Kingdom of Tytor.  As we debate, this charter will inevitably become more complete as we each provide our own insight into the intended workings of this new international organization.  Ladies and gentlemen, honored delegates, the floor is now open.  We will break for lunch in approximately two hours.  May we find in ourselves the unity we need to move this goal forward to success."

With that, Major sat back down again.  Thatcher smiled; it was a good speech, and a good beginning to what was bound to be a contentious debate.

Quote from: Draft Charter
A Charter for a League of Nations
Adopted on this the [##]th day of June, AD 2020

Preamble:

We the undersigned representatives of the united Nations and Peoples of Mundus, in order to further the cause of World Peace, promote Justice, secure Equality on the Global Stage, and show our commitment to the Betterment of Humankind, do here and now establish this Charter for a League of Nations, that generations to come may find that we acted in the interest of all.

Chapter I - Goals and Definitions

Article 1: This Charter hereby establishes a league of nations, to be named the [name to be decided] and herein called the League.

Article 2: The purposes of the League are (1) to maintain peace in the world; (2) to secure and develop amicable relations between its Members; (3) to achieve international cooperation toward the continued advancement of better conditions for humankind; and (4) to act as a force for international harmony in pursuit of these ends.

Article 3: Pursuant to the purposes laid out in the preceding article, each Member of the League shall commit (1) to treat as equal all other nations, whether Members of the League or not; (2) to fulfill in good faith all obligations entered into through this Charter and any subsidiary treaties which may follow; (3) to settle international disputes by peaceful means; and (4) avoid to the best of their ability the use or threat of force against other nations.

Article 4: Pursuant to the purposes laid out in Article 2 of this Charter, the League shall take appropriate action within the confines of this Charter to ensure the maintenance of peace in the worldwide community.

Article 5: The League shall have no authority over the internal affairs of its Members beyond what is (a) explicitly granted under the terms of this Charter or (b) surrendered voluntarily by any individual Member.

Chapter II - Membership

Articles herein contained: [To be determined by discussion among delegates at the Tarrenburg Castle Summit]

Chapter III - Organs

Articles herein contained: [To be determined by discussion among delegates at the Tarrenburg Castle Summit]

Chapter IV - The General Assembly

Chapter V - The Security Council (OOC note: Can be easily excluded, if that is the consensus.  I feel this one would be best decided OOC.)

Chapter VI - The Secretariat (OOC note: See note for Chapter V.)

Chapter VII - Arbitration

Chapter VIII - Peacekeeping

Chapter IX - Miscellaneous Provisions

Chapter X - Amendment Process

Chapter XI - Ratification

Article #: This Charter shall come into force upon its ratification by a majority of its signatory nations.

Article #: The manner in which a signatory nation ratifies this Charter shall be left to the individual nation in question to decide.

Article #: Once this Charter has come into force, it shall remain in force until such time as it is repealed or replaced; any such repeal or replacement shall be initiated though resolution by the General Assembly [and/or Security Council].

Postscript and Signatures

We the undersigned representatives of the united Nations and Peoples of Mundus hereby declare our commitment to causes espoused in the document above, pledging ourselves to the maintenance thereof as long as we have the ability.

Signed,
___________, on behalf of ___________

(OOC: This summit is now time-locked to June 8th, 2020, and potentially the days immediately following.  Again, anyone is welcome to hop in if, even if they haven't RSVP'd.  Let's do this thing, shall we?)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 10:45:35 PM »
The Grand Duke had arrived to represent Bakkermaya, he fully intended once negotiations had been done to have the people of the Grand Duchy vote as to the fact whether Bakkermaya would sign such an agreement.

"Thank you to our hosts for agreeing to this conference. Having had an initial look at the outline we have been given I however have several concerns. The first is that the reason that both the CMA and CTO failed was the fact that it was a ponderous and lethargic beast. It took far too long for anything to happen.[1]. Meanwhile we have seen other organisations such as TUNA, MICA, the Ardian Assembly and Council of Albion put in place resolutions to tackle issues swiftly and securely. The reason for that is the simplicity of their organisation. Already with this draft I see that there is an intention of essentially replicating the original format of the CTO. Nations objected to the power of the Security Council and it was scrapped. The Secretariat was found to be to dependent on the skills of whoever held the position, the CTO had some good ones who pushed resolutions forward, it also had some awful ones who let things fester. From this original draft I believe we need to remove the Security Council concept, get rid of the Secretariat and move in a fashion more closely related to those organisations I mentioned which have a track record of success. I also firmly believe that no new organisation can form until we address the long standing issues of mistrust that surround a kind of global council concept."

OOC- No idea how to work this into a speech about the charter. I think the biggest failing of the CTO and CMA was OOC issues which I don't think are going to be able to get addressed in speech form. I think therefore we need to accept this is going to need some IC and OOC discussion.
 1. Largely because of OOC issues but also because the thing was too complex.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 11:39:38 PM »
Crown Princess Serenity nodded in agreement with the Grand Dukes statement before she spoke.

"I agree with Grand Duke, both the CTO and CMA have failed, though we should acknowledge both organisations have their good points. I don't believe a security council is workable the reasons for that are well documented within the CTO and actually the Commonwealth Summit itself a few years ago and honestly given that the same two nations practically drove and carried the CTO time and time again even when said nations were not on the security council the whole idea of that organ is a lame duck[1] so I see no need for it. In addition I do not believe a leadership body such as the secretariat is required, the past two years of the CTO should prove that. That organisation is supposed to have an elected President yet no President has ever been elected because no election has ever been had because the membership has never motioned for one, instead the backroom staff of the civil service have coped quite well when the organisation has actually tried to do something.[2]

That shows that we can have a system where we have one body in the General Assembly or whatever we call it where any nation can propose a resolution, it can get debated and then voted upon in due course ultimately there needs to be an understood set of debate guidelines to ensure that this organisation moves at a sensible pace.[3] However let us not fail to address the concerns. If this is going to work then nations have to follow through, they have to back up what they say and this is where the assurance is required that if something happens that nations are not only prepared to act but will follow that preparedness through. This cannot be a repeat of the CTO with the same two nations doing all the work most of the time."

OOC - In all honesty most of this is likely predictable you could likely transplant how the current CTO GA works, how MICA works, how the Ardian Assembly, TUNA or the COA works because they're all essentially the same on that level. There's no real IC flaw here aside from the issue of nations not following through (see EM & Ach usual grumble over having to do all the work). The issue predominantly is OOC and mainly over the time it takes a UN style body to do stuff which is why setting stuff like a maximum debate length and so on OOCly is perhaps the way to approach that particular issue.
 1. OOC - I'd also add from experience that there's never going to be agreement over who should be on the council (because track record would be key) and when we tried electing them in the CTO the process took a week and the turnover causes an issue.
 2. OOC - Might be worth considering the simple transfer of the CTO civil service over to the new body if we need an IC admin character(s) than essentially elect someone new every so often.
 3. OOC - I recommend in tandem with an IC charter we set out an OOC understanding of time limits in relation to debate as the big issue with the CTO OCCly is speed

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 06:10:39 PM »

Alya Safavid, Head of Foreign Affairs of the Tamoran Empire, listening to the Tytorian host opening the session.

Alya Safavid listened closely to the opening speech and to the objections raised by the representatives of Bakkermaya and Achkaerin. Looking at the way they expressed themselves, their tone, the focus on certain aspects, the way they saw things confirmed her bias “they dress, speak and probably think the same” she thought to herself. That was just one more proof that the Occidental powers were a homogenous group despite their diversity on paper. 

As they spoke she discreetly passed along to the other members of her delegation the folder with the draft that she received from the hosts. She briefly whispered in Parthian to one of her advisers: “They want a clean start, a new organization.”

After the Achkaerin representative finished her points, Alya motioned that she wanted to speak.

As a sign of courtesy, she started first by speaking in English, the native language of the hosts:

I would first like to take a moment to thank our hosts for the initiative to organize such a summit. It is a noble goal to strive for peace and that should be acknowledged.” She then proceeded to speak in French by saying: “It is also a pleasure to have the chance to see again some of our friends and acquaintances.” As she said she nodded to the Heyran, Fleur and Centralian representatives. She then switched the language again, this time to her native Parthian: “ It also a wonderful opportunity to meet representatives of other nations” she said while discreetly nodding at the Soleimani representative.

Having exhausted the few lines she rehearsed in English and French, she then proceeded to speak about the subject at hand in her native Parthian:

The Tamoran Empire is concerned about the path Mundus is going right now. We see more and more disruption of peace and harmony. There are many threats to world peace and stability: terrorism, natural disasters, international crime, refuge crises, abject poverty, religious persecution and many other threats. We see Mundus countries more and more choosing to forge regional organizations or blocks to attempt to solve these issues. Some of those organizations have already been mentioned. And while some of the guests have praised their achievements, I think we can all agree that they have not managed to solve all the problems. Furthermore, these regional organizations often require a certain cultural harmonization in order to work. Even in their regions, in many cases there are countries that did not want to join because they do not share that necessary cultural harmonization aspect or better said they have different values. It is therefore the belief of the Tamoran Empire that, regardless of the well-deserved praise those regional organizations get, they do not manage to make up for a lack of a Mundus-wide forum that seeks to represent all mankind. A forum that allows it members to discuss, mediate and attempt to help parties find common ground."

"So we see a need for an international body that attempts to strive for peace by pursuing a more modest agenda. We see it as a place where nations of Mundus that have stopped all formal relations” as she said that she looked briefly at the Rokkenjiman delegation ”can still have the opportunity to talk to each other. A place where nations can debate ways to better help the development of poor nations and where there is common ground choose to work together to alleviate. But also a place where nations that are not part of any regional organization, that lack the backing of a strong military alliance, can come and express their grievances when they have been wronged by the most powerful of nations.  Such a body would not replace regional organizations, would not be very fast in its decision making because it would not strive for quick action but instead attempt to find common ground for all nations of Mundus by considering all arguments. It would not focus on being the first to attempt to bring peace to a civil war but the body that perhaps acts the slowest of all, after considering all points of view and all implications. It would not focus on attempting to bring peace in Merina but choosing to first let the Council of Albion attempt to solve it and instead look at conflicts that have been going on for ages, like the one in Kaitaine and attempt to make a change there. It would be a body that nations could invite to send representatives to elections, like the referendum in Rokkenjima, and whose findings and could be hard to despite by anyone. "

"However, in order for such a body to work there needs to be an acceptance of all sides, of all mankind. Nations would need to feel this body strives to actually find common ground rather than attempt to force the other nations to accept their standards. The Tamoran Empire is perhaps the most sanctioned nation in Mundus. The CTO has a pending resolution about sanctioning the Tamoran people going so far as to ban even common sporting events. Some nations, including one that is here at the table, has saw fit to kick out our diplomatic staff from their soil. There are numerous examples of sanctions and limitations placed on the Tamoran Empire that I need not list them all. Under such circumstances, it is only reasonable that the Tamoran Empire will only join an international body such as the proposed League of Nations if it is certain that other nations respect its sovereignty and interests by allowing it to veto any resolutions or motions of the international body. If such an agreement can be reached, the Tamoran Empire would offer its full commitment to the proposed international body.

She then proceeded to say "Thank you" in English, French and Parthian.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 07:41:32 PM »
Foreign Minister Orlaith Kade was representing the East Moreland delegation. "The organisation that was created with the birth of the CTO was born with two fatal flaws. The first flaw was that as the representative from Achkaerin has stated it became reliant on the same nations taking action every time. The second flaw was that at its birth it was created as a system with essentially two tiers. Those nations who, for whatever period, were members of a Security Council. These positions were coverted as they allowed action to be taken to force an agenda or alternatively they allowed actions to be halted. Meanwhile those nations not in the Security Council were seen as in someway less significant for a while. Any organisation that is expecting to function as a body for international co-operation can not exist on a two tier system. I think therefore no nation should be given a veto unless all nations are given a veto. If we do give all nations a veto then there is little point in this organisation existing in any form."

OOC

1. Whatever form this organisation takes we need to focus on how we put in place things that stop it killing ongoing RP by being so lengthy.

2. The old organisation had the problem of being seen as a system just for certain nations, from speaking to other users I'd say East Moreland was one of those nations. I for one never intended it to be that way in terms of how I RP'd East Moreland. The problem is though that is how it became perceived. We need to ensure moving forward that is not allowed to happen again and no nation ICly should have powers in this body that not everyone else has.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 05:14:22 PM »
Alya wondered when the Morelanders would show up. As she listened to the Morelander speak it was clear to her that he/she (ooc: I can’t figure if the Morelander is a he or a she) had a different agenda. She noticed how he/she reinforced what the previous speaker from the “informal alliance” said by agreeing with the Achkaerin representative just as the Achkaerin representative started by saying she agreed with the Bakkermayan one. She wondered if they had synchronized their agendas so that they could show such common front. 

“Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It is indeed a valuable one. I am however sure you were just stating Your Majesty’s government opinions based on that experience and did not claim to be authoritative facts since I can assure Your Majesty’s government that those opinions are not in any way shared in Djerb ” she said the Morelanders representative. “The first issue can easily be solved since as I said, should the Tamoran Empire get the veto we will take action so it won’t be the same nations. As for the second issue, I am glad that I have your support for the Tamoran veto. What others nations should also get it is a different matter that we will gladly discuss if there is agreement on the Tamoran veto. We were thinking that all the founding members of the new organization should get one but we are open to any suggestions.” She put an emphasis on suggestions since the Morelander seemed to her to talk as if he/she owned the place.

OOC:
@Tytor: would you be willing to consider an OOC thread? There seem to be a lot of OOC talks and even the IC one is railed by ooc. Players clearly have OOC issues they want to discuss, separating the two can help imo.

“Whatever form this organization takes we need to focus on how we put in place things that stop it killing ongoing RP by being so lengthy. “

I have already alluded to how I think things should be handled, I will explain here in OOC so I can make it more clears. Players from this new body should focus on the issues that are not urgent. So they would leave the Council of Albion to handle the Merina civil war but focus on the Kaitaine one. They can also focus on aspects that not pressured by time: anti-poverty talks and programs, monitoring religious persecutions, talks about how to combat terrorism, environmental issues (not the Heyran one but things like climate change), sending monitors to elections in Rokkenjima, issuing a resolution urging SICR to NOT drop the monarchy since, you know, most Mundus nations (especially the most powerful ones) are monarchies etc. 

The second suggestion that I can add now that we are talking OOC would be for the mod to enforce only a 1 RL week on the time freeze for debates of the League of Nations. After that, members of the League of Nations can ask the RP mod for one more week extension. So that would make it 2 RL weeks in total. Obviously, if people think 1 week is too much or too little time that can be changed, I am merely proposing a mechanism here.     

“The old organisation had the problem of being seen as a system just for certain nations, from speaking to other users I'd say East Moreland was one of those nations. I for one never intended it to be that way in terms of how I RP'd East Moreland. The problem is though that is how it became perceived. We need to ensure moving forward that is not allowed to happen again and no nation ICly should have powers in this body that not everyone else has.”

Ok, here I strongly disagree. I am vehemently opposed to using OOC to force IC position of nations. What you are suggesting is that we RP differently (ex: I drop the veto even though IC for me that would make no sense) because some players in the past have perceived the organization as focused on some players. Look, I clearly didn’t ignore CTO because of that (I ignored it because no offense but it was dead in my opinion) and I clearly will if there is not at least one nation in the new body with a veto that is not Western style in terms of how it handles international law. Rokk, Tytor, Ach, EM are all the same when it comes to how they interpret, use and act on international law (democracy good, human rights good etc). Any players looking to RP nations that are antagonistic (I can’t find the right term, think Communist China, USSR, Russia, North Korea, Iran, Belarus, Saudi Arabia etc) are going to ignore the organizations if they know all the other member nations are going to gang up on them. This is why I think this argument is no good. You can’t please both sides, one side has to be ignored. Now I have no issue being on the losing side, but I am opposed to not even being allowed to RP my demands cause OOC some people might not like it.   

Personally, I think the impossibly long charter and the two tier system of nations were not the reasons why CTO died but lack of activity. So players (those that want to see the body succeed) have to take the time and:
-   Propose at least one resolution/initiative whatever every three RL months. Members need to have something to do. It also goes without saying that they have to provide feedback if anyone proposed a motion.
-   Reference the new international body at least once a month in news posts/RPs etc. I am not talking anything big but things like: a change in ambassador at the international body, a corruption scandal (or whatever scandal players like), a visit of some kind, an outrageous statement from one of the body’s representatives etc. This is so that all players in tio remember the organization exists.
-   Actively promote the organization and attempt to recruit IC, not on Discord but on the forum. So for example in state meetings (especially with new players) there should be invitations to join the organization. It certainly makes more sense than to ask new players to join CSU, CSTO, CNN, SANE or any organization that is very well integrated.

Also players, especially those that have tier 1 nations* in the new international body, should try and do some light RPing with tier 2 nations* where they try to understand their agenda, promise to promote their agenda etc. Having a tier 1 nation means you have to work more to keep interest of the players that have tier 2 nations in the organization. They must see they are not just dead-weight.

Also, under no circumstances should those that want to see the organization succeed kill debates before they start by changing motions based on Discord feedback. Ex: you have an anti slavery motion, you read on discord that there is an issue with the fact it references MCUR so you just say IC “Yeah, I want to remove that part”. That is not RPing. The debates are supposed to be broadcasted love all over Mundus, no nation does something like that in RL.

* tier 1 nations= members of the international body with privileges (security council membership, veto whatever). Tier 2 nations = the other player nations in the organisation.

You can have the best charter in the world, the most egalitarian system of voting if there aren’t at least a couple of players that are willing to take time from RPing their nations and put the time in RPing for this organization then it will never succeed. The organization will always remain a sticky thread that players forget about.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 05:55:46 PM »
"Giving one nation a veto is not going to work in my view." Serenity said "Allowing any nation to veto any proposal is troublesome because no matter how you frame it you practically guarantee that no business is done because every resolution will be vetoed and as we want this organisation to actually be able to address the prevalent issues on Mundus then it needs to be able to do that in a meaningful way with the safe knowledge that a decision will be made that will stand, it goes without saying that had the veto existed within the CTO, assuming for the moment the Tamoran suggestion, then the ability of the organisation to police itself would have been non-existent because Rokkenjima would have been able to veto several resolutions, as would Achkaerin, as would East Moreland.

Therefore as has been rightly identified by the Morelanders all nations in this organisation must be on an equal footing, no security council, no veto's, all members with an equal right to debate, equal right to vote and all nations with an equal right to be members. That would resolve the matter of the two tiers, resolving the matter of nations following through on actions requires all the member nations to understand that if a resolution calls tells them to do something they need to do it. However it does seem that our focus so far has been around the mechanism of the General Assembly so may I suggest that we perhaps consider a more detailed proposal of the Assembly's mechanisms and get some of this down?"

Offline Viljandi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Viljandi
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 12:36:58 AM »
Kodumaan Foreign Affairs Minister Alexei Zaitzev spoke "What would these veto powers and security council look like however. If it is to be rotating is that for all all nations or will there be certain nations as perminant members. Kodumaa has a concern that if there is permanent members and giving them certain veto privileges then that can spin the world on the axis towards their interests alone. What power or body is there to prevent that from happening? Of course this is just a hypothetical. For that reason I do share the concerns with the Heyran and East Morelander representative."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 12:55:19 AM by Viljandi »

Offline Ryan

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 01:07:48 AM »
The Acting Secretary of Foreign Affairs of Soleimani, Soraya Ardavan, stood up. “Soleimani would view the rotation of veto powers unfavorably, as this would mean that there would be some proposals that nations want to veto, but wouldn’t be able to, while there would be others that nations wouldn’t want to veto, but have been given the opportunity to, basically rendering the vetoes useless in many situations. This would skew the actually preferences of member nations, and end up in the passing or rejection of legislation that is actually disapproved of or approved of, respectively, by the majority of the international body. For this reason, Soleimani suggests giving nations a limited number of vetoes that would be replenished after a certain amount of time. This way, nations would be able to identify what proposals they would want to veto or not veto, whilst still not having unlimited vetoes, which would slow the progress made by the League of Nations. This is merely a loose concept, and it may or may not work in trial.”

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 01:21:13 AM »
"The problem with veto's are that they are exclusionary and their very existence takes certain debates off the table. There would be no value in having a debate if you know that the end result is going to be vetoed, all that will achieve is pushing nations into taking unilateral action and not respecting the organisation likewise giving limited vetoes is counter productive because you guarantee the same motion being laid multiple times to exhaust the veto so why go through all that hassle? Better to not have the veto and have the debate from the start, on a related point there does need to be a clarification or amending of article 5 in the proposal on that basis." Serenity said looking at the Kodumaan and then the Soleimani representative "The issue with a rotating security council is exactly the same as the CTO one, it becomes a lottery for example a security council comprised of East Moreland, Achkaerin, Bakkermaya, Seaforth and Rokkenjima is going to operate very differently in approach to one comprised of Quintelia, Tamora, Kodumaa, Heyra and Fleur. The lack of consistency creates an issue and the resolutions would reflect that and it wouldn't be beyond certain terrorist groups to get savvy enough to take advantage of that difference, now permanent members to counter balance that lottery may seem like a good idea but 1) how many permanent members 2) How to pick them? 3) Who are they going to be? Even if we get agreement to the first of those questions agreement in respect of the other two will likely not happen because everyone has a different yardstick which is why frankly we're better off having one body where all nations are equal and that can be done by rolling the responsibility of the Security Council into the General Assembly."

OOC - hopefully this will be my last OOC comment in the IC thread but just by way of explanation - a rotating security council sounds great in theory but is leaving to chance the activity of the members, if you have five nations on this SC who are all semi active then it becomes a problem if that body needs to do something. Further if something happens in RL that necessitates an LOA we potentially run into the same issue anyway.

Permanent members don't work because even if we said a 5 nation SC (for the sake of argument) how do you pick those five? There's no fair way of doing it because practically every method is biased in some way and the perception of a two tier is that there's a "special group" that's not helpful at all.

Veto's while Icly covetable are trouble OOCly because it will get to a point where people do not put resolutions if they know that they'll be vetoed and that essentially renders the organisations ability to debate anything significant null and void. Giving each nation a single veto per month may seem somewhat sensible but does lead to the same outcome of debate being frustrated and people OOCly not engaging which will lead to IC inactivity.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
Alya frown slightly when she heard how the Achkaerin not only dismissed Tamoran concerns but actually went ahead proposing to move the discussion to the Assembly's mechanisms as if they were the hosts of the summit. She was just about to protests but to her delight the representatives of Heyra, Viljandi and Soleimani would not allow the matter to pass.

“I see the Achkaerin representative worrying a lot that nothing would get done if nations had a veto or that the veto would exclude certain debates. Nothing could be further from the truth. The veto would merely mean that once the votes are countered, if there is a veto against the motion it is rejected. Nations are free to debate the motion, to put it to the vote and see where each member stands. It would not however allow for the majority of nations to impose their will over the nation or nations that feel so strongly about it that they would veto the resolution.

Ladies and gentlemen, I think there is a fundamental disagreement about that the proposed international body aims to achieve. As far as we are concerned, we understood that it aims to promote cooperation, international unity and world peace. I would argue that such an international body would seek to be representative of all mankind, to bring as many nations at the table as possible. I stress as many nations as possible not just those of the Occidental tradition. Now in order to have them join and continue to be members then they would need to be secure knowing that no simple majority of nations voting against them could strip them of their traditions. The veto puts checks on the powers of the nations that want to change sovereign states in Mundus against the consent of those nations as represented by their governments. If the proposed League of Nation is to be a body for all mankind they I would argue that forcing measures on members states against their wishes makes those proposals not representative of all mankind.

And to address the concerns about the veto not allowing certain measures to pass. I would say that maybe those proposing them should look to issues that members agree on rather than only what they and their allies agree. I don’t think there would be nations vetoing measures aimed at alleviating poverty in Zimalia, sending observers to nations that need them in elections or seeking ways to address space debris. Perhaps a body representative of what mankind is should not sacrifice representativeness for effectiveness because let us be clear, a body that does not take account these concerns and gives at least some nations the veto will be a much smaller body in terms of membership. 

As for the security council proposals, it was never the intention of Tamora propose that membership to such a council be tied to having a veto. Should that be the case our proposal would be to have member nations, each year,  vote on which nations to be on the council. That way member nations choose which nations would be on the council. As for what privileges they should have, I would argue none other than say the veto. We should instead discuss about what responsibilities they would have such as enforcing the decisions of the international body, funding it and others. The Tamoran Empire agrees that all member nations should be allowed to propose motions, debate them and vote on them. That should not be a privilege of the security council members. In fact I would see such a council as being made of nations that take upon themselves to commit to serving the interests of the other member nations.  “

"Permanent members don't work because even if we said a 5 nation SC (for the sake of argument) how do you pick those five? "

A poll where all tio members vote on it.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2020, 11:02:43 PM »
OOC - in the interests of this moving forwards a bit can I suggest that Tytor now Icly put the question of whether to have veto's or not to a straight vote? If nations vote against the veto then we don't include the provision if they do we then need to define when the veto can be used and who can has it.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2020, 06:11:05 PM »
OOC: I support what Ach said.

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2020, 06:56:52 PM »
Major cleared his throat loudly to get the attention of the arguing delegates.  He dearly wished he had a gavel or something; he'd have to see if he could track one down come lunchtime.  "Ladies and gentlemen," he said, "We seem to have reached an impasse.  From what I've gathered from the conversation we've been having, we have before us the twin issues of whether or not to have a security council, and whether or not to include some sort of veto in proceedings.  As such, I propose a vote on these issues.  We'll go around the table, and each delegation will please indicated where they stand on each issue with a simple yea or nay; abstentions will also be acceptable.  Again, for the record, the issues at vote are as follows: the League should have some form of security council, yea or nay; and debates within the League should be subject to some form of veto, yea or nay.  If these measures pass, then our next course of action will be to define exactly how they will work in the functional organization."  He sat down again, and the voting commenced.

OOC: This vote will be active for 72 hours, concluding as soon after 12:00 PM MDT (7:00 PM GMT) on Sunday as I can manage.  As I'll be participating in a church meeting over the internet at that time, there may be a bit of a delay.

"The Kingdom of Tytor abstains on the matter of the proposed security council, and votes yea on the matter of the proposed veto."

"The Federal Republic of Centralia votes nay on both counts."

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »
“The Empire of Tamora votes nay on the Security Council and yea on the proposed veto.”

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 07:18:53 PM »
“The First Empire votes nay on the Security Council and nay on the proposed veto.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 07:32:25 PM »
Nay on both accounts.

Offline Ryan

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 07:32:53 PM »
“The Commonwealth votes nay on the Security Council and yea on some form of the proposed veto.”

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2020, 01:32:08 AM »
Clysperis votes nay on both proposals.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
No to both

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »
Yes to Security Council . No to Veto

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2020, 06:57:57 PM »
Achkaerin votes nay to the security council and nay to the veto.

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 08:31:12 PM »
OOC Note: Voting is now closed.  Following are the results:

On the matter of the security council, the concept is rejected with two votes in favor, nine against, and one abstention.

On the matter of the proposed veto, the concept is rejected with five votes in favor, seven against, and no abstentions.

With that out of the way, we can now move on.  This post also serves as a placeholder for Major opening the floor to further discussion on additional topics which have not been resolved.  I may or may not update this post with an IC repetition of everything I've just said.  So, without further ado, let's continue the rolling of this ball.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 08:45:43 PM »
Once the results of the vote were formally announced, the Alya Safavid addressed the other members of the talks:

“The honorable members present have spoken and we accept the results. As promised, we will no longer take part in the talks since without Tamora having a veto in the proposed organization we will not be members of it. We are not interested in shaping the charter of an organization what we will not be a part of and nor will it be fair to do so.

I thank the representatives from the kingdom of Tytor for hosting the talks and all other members for participating. May divinity guide you in the talks ahead. “

As she finished talking, she stood up and almost immediately the rest of the Tamoran delegation did the same. They then proceeded to leave the conference room and return home to Tamora.