Author Topic: A Toxic Cloud  (Read 1717 times)

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
A Toxic Cloud
« on: May 21, 2021, 10:52:51 PM »
OOC: Anyone is free to participate, you may contact me if you need further information/background. However, it could take a few posts to reach present-day.

Southern eastern Jugland, late December

"The enemy has started to retreat from the city, sir!", captain Tellefsen said. "The fighting has been reduced to the southwestern district, as well as those positions along the forest".

"Excellent", Major Knudtson said. "They shouldn't be able to resist much longer.

"Considering the flow of activity between these two positions", Lieutenant Quisling argued, "they must be connected somehow".

"It makes sense", Knudtson replied. "Do you believe there may be some tunnels running through the hill and forests".

"That could be the case, sir", Tellefsen answered. "It wouldn't be the first time, we saw similar things nearby Hernstadt".

"In that case", Knudtson said, "I'll immediately ask for fire on that area to the Air Force".

"Prepare your men", Knudtson told Tellefsen, "we should be able to launch a final attack soon".

"This will be likely the last action of this war", he continued, "let's hope we don't suffer many casualties".

Two hours later, all was over. Captain Quisling descended from his jeep. The town couldn't be seen from there. There were only a few wooden buildings, in which seemed to be an old farm. He could observe about two dozens of enemies, knelt and disarmed now, guarded by Juglander soldiers. He realized that many of them were just teenagers.

"Captain!", a soldier said. "The enemy has surrendered...".

"Good job", the captain replied. "What's the issue then?".

"There seems to be something strange...", the soldier insisted. "In that stable, maybe we should wait for help".

"What happened?", Quisling insisted.

"It seems to be an infirmary", a second soldier explained. "However, it looks and smells like a pigpen...Most of the patients are dead, but given the state of those alive, we did not dare to move them".

"What do you mean?, Quisling asked. "Where is that infirmary?".

"That old stable, sir", the soldier replied.

"Alright", Quisling said, "let's take a look".

"Yes, sir", the soldier replied.

They approached the stable. With the help of a second soldier, they started to open the wooden door.

"Don't open that!", a prisoner screamed. "Don't dare to open it!"

"Silence!", one soldier replied. However, as soon as they door as opened, they felt wrapped in an alive and moving cloud.

"What the...", Quisling exclaimed. "Disgusting!", he added when he realized what was those annoying things, while shaking them from his arms and body.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: A Toxic Cloud
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 08:04:27 PM »

Gronthap hospital, a few weeks later

"Hello Doctor Fosse!", Deorwyna said. "I hope you are enjoyed your holidays".

"Yes, sure", Fosse replied. "Just not the last days...How are things going?".

"Not very well, I'd say", Deorwyna replied, "as I told you. As you are well aware we're lacking personnel, and this situation has started to going out the hand".

"How is that?", Fosse asked. "What's the current situation? Any change since your last message?".

"Yes, I guess", Deorwyna answered. "We decided to move the patients to the second floor to isolate them. But the number of patients in the last five days have only increased".

"Let me check the dossiers", Fosse replied. "How many patients have died?".

"We lost five patients since yesterday", Deorwyna said. "But the proportion of patients who are in severe condition is worryingly high".

"I see", Fosse replied. "Which are the symptoms?".

"Mostly fever and swollen muscles", Deorwyna answered, "although they seem to appear arbitrarily. Then, the most severe cases seem to be develop failure in vital organs, in some cases relatively quickly. It is not like anything we have seen before. Other symptoms may appear in some cases, such as bleeding in urine or nervous-related problems".

"Did you do any analysis or testing?", Fosse asked.

"We did", Deorwyna replied. "But besides a general weakness, we did not find anything in the blood analysis".

"What about the respiratory system? Any kind of coughing?", Fosse asked further.

"In some cases, we find damage in the lungs", Deorwyna explained, "but cough is mostly absent. At first, we thought that in some cases it could be some kind of undetected cancer, although we did not find any tumorous activity...But the main organs seem to deteriorate, in some cases as if they were decomposing while the patient is alive".

"It certainly sounds atypical", Fosse replied. "Was any personnel of the hospital affected?".

"Yes, but just an auxiliary nurse", Deorwyna answered. "Many patients lived together or had some kind of direct contact, so there is certainly a connection, but it doesn't feel too contagious. It is not certainly a virus".

"Did not you tell me that there were a high proportion of soldiers between the patients?", Fosse inquiried. "Could it be any connection? Maybe some kind of exposure to a toxic substance? Maybe poisoning?".

"I thought about that", Deorwyna answered, "but we did not detect anything strange, I'd say. We were not able to track anything in their blood samples".

"Besides that...", Deorwyna continued, "there were no kind of cutaneous symptoms, besides some superficial blisters, which seem to be more common in advanced cases".

"Let me see some patients before giving my opinion, but I have no answer either currently", Fosse told Deorwyna. "I have a friend in the Commission, I can give him a call, in case we aren't able to find answers soon".

"Yes, doctor", Deorwyna added, just before they started moving toward the elevator.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 06:41:27 AM »

Sandberg Center for Health Research and Control, two weeks later

"Doctor Leonhardsen", Rosemund said, "the corpses came this morning".

"I see", Gerhnod declared. "Where is Fryda?", he asked.

"She is already in the morgue, I believe", Rosemund answered.

"Alright", Gerhnod replied. "Bring me a coffee if you don't mind, I'll stay in my office".

"Sure", Rosemund replied.

About twenty-seven minutes later, Leonhardsen took it easy, he came to the morgue. He could see that Fryda was already working. There were two corpses on each table.

"How are you?", Gerhnod asked, as he was putting the gloves on.

"I'm fine, I guess", Fryda asked. "I already started, if you don't mind".

"No problem...", Gerhnod replied. "How many corpses were sent from Sandberg".

"Eleven exactly", Fryda answered. "You have the dossiers on that table".

"Anything unusual?", Gerhnod asked.

"They certainly have similar characteristics", Fryda asked. "But the causes of death tend to differ...Some died from organ failure, hemorrhage, asphyxia caused by bleeding lungs. Many seems to present some kind of cutaneous wounds, but they tend to be superficial. No sign of tumors, except one case. But not likely the cause of death. However, many organs tend to have unusual damage, as well as arteries and muscles, in at least two cases".

"Well, certainly unusual", Gerhnod replied. "I see you started with that one as well".

"Yes", Fryda replied. "The patient was a young woman, signs of malnutrition but without an unusual medical record". As she talked, she simply cut through the entrails of what had been a living person not a long time ago.

"Let me have a view", Gerhnod said. "She seems to have some superficial wounds on the neck, but they did not likely cause her death. They don't look post-mortem".

"She suffered bleeding in her lungs", Fryda explained, "but they looked relatively healthy. She did not seem to have any kind of respiratory symtoms before her admission in the hospital".

"Even in that case", Gerhnod observed, "that hemorrhage feels unusual...Wait, is that pus?".

"It doesn't look like that", Fryda answered. "...It is as it was moving", she added, while introducing her tweezers.

"That's...", Fryda continued, "some kind of larvae. Although I have never seen this kind before...". She observed it closer, grabbing it with her own fingers.

"Is it trying to bite your gloves?", Gerhnod asked, as surprised as amused. "However, the descomposition of the body did not seem that advanced, particularly if she died in the hospital", he added while she put that tiny creature into a small plastic container.

"Let me check", Fryda replied, after removing her gloves and looking through some folders. "Here it is...Emma Aam, 19 years old, from Motland. She died just yesterday".

"Strange", Gerhnod replied. "Wait...there more here as well...", he added while examining the corpse.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 12:26:46 AM »

Sandberg Center for Health Research and Control, a week later

"Welcome, sir", Gerhnod said, as some as Deputy Minister Hughardt Behn was announced.

"I am fine, thanks", Hughardt Behn replied. "Excuse me that I could come before, doctor".

"No problem", Gerhnod replied. "I understand your agenda is busy, although I'm grateful you were able to come as soon as it was possible".

"Indeed", Behn replied. "I read your dossier, and another prepared by the Ministry of Health. Given the current crisis...situation, we have decided to address the problem as soon as possible. Our ministry, in cooperation with others, will try to address the situation in a proper way".

"I hope so", Gerhnod replied. "Giving the political situation, it is not easy for use to even communicate with the affected areas. At least from a point of view of the logistics required".

"I understand that view", Behn argued, "but under the current circumstances, we will take the situation in our hands, as the President Engelsaas thought that way we could bring more efficiency to those areas, which have not complete civilian control after all".

"If that works well enough", Gerhnod replied, "as scientists and technicians, and not politicians, welcome any coordination to this problem".

"However, as you can imagine", Behn continued, "this situation feels rather absurd".

"I understand", Gerhnod replied. "Doctor Hagerup is waiting us. As I told you, he is one of the best clinical biologists we have in Jugland".

They advanced through the halls of the building until they reached a large room, which seemed to serve both as office and lab. "Nice to meet you, Deputy Minister", said the man, who barely seemed to be in his 30s.

"I already informed the Deputy Minister of the details", Gerhnod explained, "but I thought that a more direct information would be helpful".

"Sure", Wydukind replied. "I'll help with anything I can".

"If I understood it correctly...", Behn started, "we are not facing a contagious disease".

"No, certainly not", Wydukind answered. "You may say that's a more biological than epidemiological problem that we are facing".

"How much area has been affected?", Behn inquiried.

"I haven't exact numbers right now", Gerhnod replied. "But about 51 towns and villages so far. But it could spread beyond as we talk right now".

"I see", Behn replied. "So, if I get it right, are we being invaded by bugs?", he asked.

"I guess that's a why to put it, sir", Wydukind answered. "Yes, that's the only source from the increasing cases we have seen through that area. There is no doubt about that".

"How serious is the situation", Behn answered. "How have we never heard anything like this before? To my knowledge...".

"I don't see that this is a situation that has been witnessed before", Wydukind answered. "Not certainly in this part of the world. I have contacted doctor Vesaas, who currently teaches in Dartfordia. He has travelled through Ardia, and researched a wide range of species, including several quite similar, although from different families".

"Not sure if sharing information is a wise idea right now", Behn protested.

"Oh, I did not share any sensible information", Wydukind argued. "Only enough so we could have a more specialized point of view that helped us to advance our research. But Mr. Vesaas is an experienced zoologist, one of the most knowledgeable in the fields, and as a Juglander national, I hoped that he could help us in our investigation, without arising suspiction. And precisely, giving that it was reported that the entry of the plague was likely through an Ardian vessel".

"Yes, I read that report from our interrogations", Behn replied. "Although not sure if it was trustworthy, the details seemed difficult to believe".

"I read it and there were certainly exaggerations", Wydukind replied, "but some of the details provided useful information. Giving the characteristics of these beings, it was likely that they were from a humid and dense ecological system, probably isolated, and it certainly makes sense with certain areas of that continent".

"How are they different to other insects that may spread disease?", Behn asked. "I remember those cases a few years ago in the south, in which some mosquito cause a large number of cases".

"Ah yes", Wydukind replied, "thee aedes albopictus, I remember it. This case, however, it is completely different. And unusual", he argued. "Fortunately, they do not seem to spread any disease, but as long as the problem remains unchecked, we may face a serious problem".

"Will this likely affect all the country at this rate?", Behn asked, increasingly concerned.

"There is the risk that could be the case", Wydukind answered. "However, there are reasons to believe that is highly unlikely. First, these organisms seem rather weak, not particularly resistant to environmental conditions or changes. That's likely the main cause because such species are rather unheard before. It is unlikely that they would survive the colder seasons. But it's important to act to avoid their spreading before that".

"What do you suggest?", Behn asked.

"Well, we need to advance in our research, in order to give a final answer", Wydukind argued. "However, before other alternatives are available, the best way to cut the spread is through isolation of the population affected, including cutting the transportation. It is not a species that it is likely to go through long distances, but it was likely dispersed through vehicles, trucks, and likely human beings or cattled infected. It has sadly spread through the nearby southern forests, but we are optimistic that they will not spread much further if we are careful and successful".

"I hope so", Behn replied. "When you can finish your report, send it immediately to our ministry".

"We will do that as soon it is possible, sir", Gerhnod said, while Wydukind respectully nodded.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 01:46:58 PM »

Fort Nesbo, Vannesdal

"Do I interrupt you, doctor?", Major Kragmann asked.

"No, I was just reviewing some dossiers", Ewald answered. "You can sit down, sir", he added.

"Thanks", Kragmann replied, "but I'll be fine standing. My visit is going to be a brief one, after all. I received a call from the Deputy minister. The situation is worsening and I wanted to check how your research is going".

"Oh", Ewald replied, "it's almost finished, we have been working on it all the week. I have some of my team working in secondary analysis, to check we did not any mistakes, just to be safe. But I hope tomorrow will be able to send my report to the ministry".

"I understand", Kragmann replied, "but we would like to act as soon as possible".

"Of course!", Ewald replied. "If you have a few minutes, I'll easily explain you what we discovered".

"Sure", the Major replied, while they started walking through the nearby all.

"We have arrived", Ewald said, while opening the door of a spacious room with his card.

"Fortunately", Ewald explained, "most of the samples that arrived this week were of good enough quality. We have tested dozens of pesticides, chemicals, and other substances, those which could be realistically used, of course".

"According to our research", he continued, "only three substances would be really useful to the situation. The first one is an advanced pesticide, which we would have tested that it is able to stun and kill about 80% of the objective, after they enter in contact through air. It wouldn't work, however, with those who are already infected and burrowed animals or human beings, obviously. But it could be used for vegetation or some buildings that have been heavily affected by the plague".

"Uhm...", Kragmann replied, "besides what you just said, that remaining not affected by the pesticide seems concerning".

"Well, it could be enough to contain the spread. About the other cases, it could be enough through the isolation of the patients affected, and the slaughter of cattle and domestic animals affected. The complete erradication would still take some time. Other substance that gave us positive results is a organochlorine compound that is often used as insecticide. It is even more effective than the former in completely eliminating the objective, although there may be limitations on the quantity that could be used, particularly in populated areas or vegetation. However, we have barely enough quantity in our storage to consider it to used it. The quantity that should be required from abroad, as well as preparations to use it widely enough to be effective, it could take weeks, maybe more. That's why I recommend -unless there are surprises in the secondary analysis- to use the former in my own report".

"I see", Kragmann replied, "that could be a problem...But didn't you say there were three products that gave positive effects".

"Ah yes", Ewald answered. "The third is a chemical compound that we bought from Lakhzovia in the 2000s. It is the most effective, it has an almost complete effectivity against the plague, not just directly but indirectly".

"What do you mean?", Kragmann inquired, wondered about the promising answer.

"Well, we have tested with lab rats, previously infected with the parasite, and with a minimal quantity, enough to assure the survival of most of the mammals, although not without secondary effects, it is able to eliminate not only growing insects, but larvae and even the eggs which typically lay under the skin after the insect bit the victim. We tested that through injections, although it would still be highly effective as insecticide and pesticide. However, there are secondary effects, and particularly to the environment, that may the substance not too practical to use, in particular in populated areas or close to them. For that reason, it was recently banned by the Ministry of Health, despite having huge amounts of the compound in our storage. We are working to isolate its components, in order to develop a safer organic compound that could be used in the future, but that would likely take some time, I am afraid".

"That's a pity", Kragmann replied, "it looked promising...Well, continue with your work, I wouldn't like to interrupt you too much time. When you are finish your report, send me immediately a copy, as well as the ministry".

"Yes, sir", Ewald replied, as they started to go toward the door.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2021, 01:24:25 AM »

Downtown Albrektberg, February 2021

"Excuse me,  Hughartd", Berahtrand Amundsen said, "this last meeting was exhausting".

"No problem, sir", Behn replied. "Is everything going alright?".

"I felt Kvalheim and his team made me to waste my time in the last weeks, and our hands tied as well", Amundsen complained, "and the elections are already over and our situation is likely worse".

"I understand the feeling", Behn replied. "I hope the coming negotiations won't be a problem for our work and plans".

"It shouldn't be", Amundsen replied. "But it's the other way around. We have rather to be careful about what to do. We can not allow more mistakes".

"Yes, sir", Behn said. "Obviously", he continued, "we will do as best as our can".

"In any case", Amundsen added, "I got authorization from the President to solve the situation by our own means, as long as the operation does not create more problems that the ones we are facing, after all".

"Really?", Behn said. "I'm glad you were able to convince him, I was not sure myself, given the situation and obviously risks".

"Obviously, I did not bore him with all the details", Amundsen replied. "I have known him for very long, and I understood that he realized the situation. We can no longer hide the situation, as a local newspaper reported in detail about the situation in that village...And those National...[inaudible] will be ready and drooling to attack us and force our way out of the negotiations, I can imagine".

"Yes", Behn replied, "that's probably the case, we must be careful".

"But if the situation continues", Amundsen, "it would be a problem not just for our government but for our nation. Besides the health problem itself, it could heavily impact our standing and any investment. And all the National Assembly would be ready to use it against us. And maybe not just in a political sense".

"In any case", Amundsen continued, "I read carefully the last reports and dossiers you sent me. At least all that made enough sense to me, obviously. They may be prepared to deal with such situations, I don't deny, but they seem to entertain themselves in sending us on a wild goose chase".

"They are knowledgeable and they have been working as hard as they could", Behn argued. "It's a weird and crazy situation, after all".

"Those...technicians", Amundsen complained, "they understand the consecuences we're facing, but they seem happy enough to feed their own doubts. They dither too much even if they know we have no more time".

"It's a difficult decision in any case", Behn said, tried to balance the discussion.

"I'll left the operation in your hands", Amundsen ordered. "The operation must start as soon as possible. As I mentioned yesterday, I'm convinced that Plan C is the most sensible one. We have no time left and we must avoid that any information is leaked and panic spread around the country".

"Yes, sir", Behn replied. "I thought that would be your choice after all. I already prepared the terrain so the operation can start without obstacles. I'll do the best I can".

"Keep me informed about any setback or sudden change", Amunden added.

"Yes, sir", Behn said, nodding as he was leaving the room.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2021, 01:07:15 AM »

Austland, a few days later

Aldwin prepared to take off. He, of course, had flown these skies many times in the last years. It was however the first time in a long time that he was going to pilot a cargo plane of this kind. Obviously, he ignored the technicalities of the operation. He just knew where they had to fly and what they had to do. He didn't exactly understand why would the Air Force being suddenly involved in such an operation, typically carried out by their civilian counterparts. But a relaxing but still active work day wouldn't be too bad for a change after all. And saving the forests may sound boring but it was not bad aim for a change after they had recently experienced.

The plane took off without incidents. Aldwin and his colleagues started their formation through the sky, flying toward their objective. As it was planned, at one point they divided in five groups. Aften ten minutes of flight, Aldwin was told by radio to prepare, they were arriving. He saw how the first planes, the smallest ones, started to open their hatches, starting the fumigation. Knowing what he had to do and where, Aldwin slowly distanced his plane from the formation, and prepared to do his part.

However, he understood something went wrong when he heard a strange noise that seemed to come from the back of the plane. The alarm started to light up and the machine started to ground even louder. As a consequence, he realized how the load started to descend in a disorderly fashion.

"Gronnhoyde tower, this is Ornrod 71", Aldwin declared through the radio, "I'm having a problem, the structure seems to be damaged. I have lost control of the modulation of the loading".

"Received. Is the flight stable enough? Can you operate it without any other incidences", it was heard through the radio.

"Yes, other parts of the plane do not seem to be damaged", he replied, "I can fly without problems, but I feel I may lose all the loading in a few seconds at this rate, without being able to continue the route planned".

"Received, it could be too dangerous to come back immediately, it could fall on civilian areas after all", the radio replied after a long pause. "The best thing is that you assure that the loading is empty before you came back to the base".

"Alright, I'll do that", Aldwin replied, "I'll communicate back when I'm position to come back".

"Ornrod 71, we expect your confirmation in a few minutes", the radio replied.

A few minutes later, when Aldwin assured the plane was light enough, he was told that the safest way was to land in a nearby aerodrome instead of the base. He did as good as he could, and although he landed safe, it was not the smoothest land of his career. He saw the damage on the back and doubted the plane would be able to take off in this conditions. About half a hour, several helicopters arrived to the base.

"Don't touch the plane, be careful", one of the men who descended from one of the helicopters said. "Let's clean this", he added. Aldwin just observed the scene and just shrugged.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 04:54:38 PM »
Gronthap hospital, hours later

"Doctor Fosse!", Gottwyna exclaimed. "Another twelve patients have arrived. They seem to have the same symptons.

"Let me see", Deorwyna replied, as she was taking the folders with the dossiers. "Ah, here is Gerhnod...Doctor!", she said as the doctor approached, bottoning his gown up. "These cases seem somehow related to the ones we had this morning".

"Which symptons this time?", Fosse asked.

"Partial heart failure", Deorwyna started to read, "breathing problems...and there seem dermal reaction, even burns in some cases".

"Two patients have serious breathing problems", Gottwyna intervened. "We had to intubate two of them immediately".

"The burnings in this patient seem rather superficial, I'd say", Deorwyna said, while examining the arms of a nearby patient".

"I agree", Fosse replied. "It looks mostly as an epidermic reaction".

"Strange coincidence. This feel like one of those religious stories in which the gods punished men for their misdeeds", Fosse added. "Anyway, is there anything common between the victims?".

"It doesn't look like that", Deorwyna replied, checking one of the folders. "It's not too far from the cases we received this morning, but it doesn't seem to exist anything in common about the location or circumstances".

"Alright", Fosse replied. "We will have time to think about that. Let's move these patients to the second floor so we can isolate them, just in case".

"Yes, Doctor Fosse", Deorwyna replied. "Let's move, prepare everything", she added, looking at Gottwyna.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:01:48 AM by paralipomena »

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2021, 01:41:19 AM »
Forgiftetstadt, late May

"Mrs. Naess-Schjelderup", Sigeweard said, "we have arrived". Adalwynda observed the contrast along the town main street, consisting in new building projects and what it looked like many abandoned houses and closed business.

"We have gathered a few people", Sigeweard explained, "the leadership from local associations and small business will attend, as well as relatives and witnesses of some of the families affected by the situation".

"Good morning", Adalwynda greeted as soon as they arrived. "First of all, I have come to hear your concerns and, of course, have a direct contact with the situation. We promise to help as much as you come".

"You are not the first one to come here", a woman said. "Representatives from the state government, as well as the town council, and other political parties, came here. But so far, we had no explanations and no solutions".

"Thora, calm down", another man said, while posing his hand on that women's shoulder. "At least they promised to bring the issue to the National Assembly".

"That's right", Adalwynda replied. "But I can understand your feeling. Obviously, it's not we can do much in the National Assembly, but I promise that we will address the issue, both in the chamber and any related commission where this situation may be addressed and, in case it was required, to address the issue publically, in either Midtenstadt and other places, as much as we can".

"I read some of the details in the communications you wrote and sent, of course", Adalwynda continued. "However, I have some questions".

"Go ahead", a man declared, who later identified himself as owner of a local packaging company.

"Thank you", Adalwynda replied. "When did exactly this situation start?".

"It was about two, three months I'd say", Grimwald said, "when the first effects appeared, when the animals started to die, wild animals first and soon the cattle started to get sick, without clear explanation".

"That's right", intervened the man from before, "plants and trees started to be affected as well, but a few weeks later, soon people started to get sick as well, here and other areas".

"Yes, I remember that", Adalwynda replied. "Is that when the situation started to get worse?".

"That's right", a third man said. "At first, it seemed simply an increase in allergies, but many people in the area started to be affected of respiratory issues, problems with sight and so on. However, in the last three weeks, things started to worse considerably, people started to get sick, inflammatory problems as well, and about twenty of them died. Then, the children started to get sick as well".

"What kind of help and assistance was offered?", she inquired.

"We have been visited several times", the man continued, "the last time, a large visit from the regional hospital. They did many tests and the state government later helped us with an increase of pharmaceutical supplies. However, we were offered no explanations. And more people got sick. It continues getting worse".

"I see", Adalwynda replied.

"Some people in the valley started to say that it could be related to Omrade", another woman intervened.

"Omrade...?", Adalwynda intervened.

"That's", a man explained, "it's a rumour that spread a few months ago...It's a place nearby a lake, a few counties from here", he continued. "I heard that some trees were affected by a strange illness and most animals in the nearby natural park died...The area was closed by the authorities, allegedly to do some testing. There were some rumours, some people said that some terrorist groups were attempting to poison the area, other spoke that it could be related to the nuclear plant that is being built 80 kms from here...".

"I see...", Adalwynda replied, not sure what to believe about such stories. "The best thing is that we pressure the government so a serious and independent investigation is launched about all this situation".

"But before that", Grimwald said, "we have more important problems. Many people are leaving the town, and the situation is increasingly affected the agriculture, which is the main source of work here. These predictions about possible coming bad harvest are worrying many, and consumption since then has decreased. The state government has promised aid to deal with the situation, but it won't be enough. More and more people have decided to leave the area. The health situation is concerning, indeed, but we will need a solution about the economic situation immediately as well".

"I underestand...", Adalwynda replied, in the middle of increasing voices that Grimwald's words have generated, particularly from relatives of some of the first people to be hospitalized, "that's important too, and we'll work to address that too. It's necessary that both the state and federal governments offer enough funds to all those affected areas".

"Let me to show Mrs. Naess", Sigeweard told Grimwald, "some of the documents and pictures that your people have collected, they could be useful to explain better the dimension of the problem".

"Yes, of course", Grimwald replied. "It's there I believe, give us just a minute". The visit lasted for another two hours, in which she was almost overwhelmed with questions, contradictory answers, and demands. There was a combination of both expectation and hopelessness, with a trend toward the latter, but she left the town with more doubts that she had when her travel -her first visit to Austland since she returned to Jugland- started.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 04:15:00 PM »

Sandberg Center for Health Research and Control, a few days ago

"I finished the four autopsies", Fryda said. "It's exactly as you thought".

"Really?", Gerhnod asked. "Which was the cause of the death?".

"Three of them have different causes of death, certainly", Fryda argued. "Heart attack, failure of the nervous system, respiratory failure...However, considering that the victims did not know each other and came from different locations with no common contact, there is a component common in the bodies, and that is exposure to a toxic sustance".

"So poisoning, that's ", Gerhnod declared. "Well, at least this time we're facing something more conventional. Did you discover anything else?".

"The symptons are sometimes different, but seems to be common in most of the cases, at least according to the dossiers they sent us", Fryda answered.

"However, there were no signs of dermic reactions as the first cases, I believe?", Gerhnod added".

"That's right, there were no signs of epidermic reactions", Fryda replied. "Doctor Mordthen already sent me his analysis, he was able to isolate at least five main toxic components. Two of them are likely from one pesticide. The other ones, he is trying to identify as soon as it is possible".

"So I guess they were exposed to it in a different way", Gerhnod argued, "maybe something they ate?".

"That's right", Fryda said, "but such levels of toxicity are difficult to believe, they should have been able to detect them through conventional health controls".

"Yes, it makes sense", Gerhnod replied. "It could be something that it is not acquired in the usual ways. However, the fact that there were cases from different areas posses doubts how it can be that widespread".

"That's right...", Fryda simply replied.

"It's important to find the source as soon as possible", Gerhnod added. "Finish your report as soon as you can, we have to send a dossier to the Department of Healthcare as soon as it is possible".

"Yes, doctor", Fryda replied. "I'll do it immediately", she added, although Gerhnod was already leaving the room.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2021, 04:22:09 PM »

Hivttenvann valley, State of Austland

"This is the place, Assistant Secretary", Walden said.

"Has the search concluded?", Aelfryda asked.

"Yes, that's right", Walden answered. "We have taken enough samples, so we're just cleaning the area. It could take weeks, however, as the area is quite large. Obviously, we will have to week until the lake sampes are analyzed before we have a final evaluation of the situation here".

"Alright", Aelfryda replied. "Any idea how that could reach here?", she asked.

"Not sure about that", Walden answered. "But I guess that the idea about industrial spill can be abandoned, at least provisionally. It's difficult to have a definitive anwers, particularly given how many areas were affected. It looked, however, as someone was here before, cleaning much of the area, as footsteps and signs of removal of land and stones seem to suggest. It is difficult to have a final answer about that, until we receive confirmation from both the state government and the other departments".

"Understood", Aelfryda said. "Good job...How much are is affected?".

"Thank you, Assistant Secretary...", Walden replied. "There were cases in more than one hundred towns and villages, if I can rembember correctly...At least two rivers were affected. We are waiting for more results. But given the preliminary results, I'm afraid that the provisional measures should continue, or even be expanded. I'll try to have the results as soon as possible".

"That's right", Aelfryda replied. "This must be our priority, this should be solved as soon as possible...Where are we going now?".

"Starborg regional airport", Walden answered. "Nearby there, there is one of the most affected areas. We will talk with Doctor Bjorum, who is leading the investigation there. If I'm not wrong, fetal deaths in at least five nearby towns increased a 200%, even if that number has started to stabilize".

"I'm ready", Aelfryda replied, "let's move".

"Yes, Assistant Secretary", Walden said. "Tell Lukas to prepare the helicopter", he ordered to another man.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2021, 03:59:14 PM »

Private communication

Highly Confidential

To the Department of Agriculture
(classified information)

According to the research, there has been widespread contamination in seventeen of the twenty-eight areas tested. The contamination in the surface seems to be superficial, but enough to have caused serious damage. Many species of insects and birds seem to have suffered a considerable effect, in some cases, bringing them close to the extinction in the area affected. This is likely to have a huge impact in the balance of the ecosystem. In the case of cattle in nearby areas, we can only recommend to initiate large-scale testing and sacrifice those animals affected as the toxicity, while it does not probably pose a direct threat to humans, it is higher that the recommended in health standards.

The contamination is much severe in the underground water, particularly in the  Hivttenvann valley, and in three rivers and several tributaries (see attached document number 2). Without proper treatment, those waters should be allowed for human consumption, for the severe risks that it poses to health. Obviously, the risk may defer depending the level of contamination. Through our analysis, we have detected several substances which are present in the mentioned samples:

Type #1 is a toxicant which is associated with cardiac and central nervous system diseases in humans. Our research has also showed that it can also causes malformations, incomplete ossification of skull, and decreased fetal body weights in rats.

Type #2 is a phosphonate which is typically used in several pesticides, including the MDX-120, which was banned by the National Commission of Health in 2020. Skin exposure to this substance can cause irritation and dermatitis, as well as mild conjuctivitis and corneal injury. It is also found to cause significant mortality in wild bees and bumblebees when sprayed directly on them, as it is estimated that the substance may block the tracheal system of the bees. This gives force to the air hypothesis as main source of the contamination. It is also highly toxic for aquatic species, which explain the highly rate of death in those species in the area.

However, in relation with humans, when diluted in water, the toxicity of Type #2 considerably decreases, and it is not as highly toxic as its direct contact. However, water contaminated by Type #2 may still contribute can still cause corrosive effects in the digestive system, as well as kidney and liver damage. If the toxicity is higher than average, as it was found in nine of the twenty-one samples analyzed, it can also lead to respiratory distress, impaired conscioussness, pulmonary and breath problems, arhythmias, and kidney failure. In the most serious cases, the death is often preceded by bradycardia and ventricular arrhythmias.

Type #3 is a hydrocarbon which was also used in herbidices and insecticides in the past. According to our knowledge, the use of this substance has decreased in the last two decades, and the most common pesticide that was ever approved to use in Jugland stopped to be industrially produced in 2014. Oral exposure to Type #3 has a high toxicity. Its initial effects are likely coughing, eye irritation, suffocation, burning in the respiratory tract, stomach pains, and vomiting. It is three times as dense as air and, therefore, in an open environment has a tendency to fall toward the ground, which increases its toxicity. Higher exposure to Type #3 may increase stillbirth and neonatal mortality. However, its toxicity considerably reduced when diluted in water and other substances. It is not likely that water contaminated with Type #3 is lethal, although its consumption is not recommended.

Type #4 is an organochloride, also found in some variants of pesticide MDX-120. Type #4 may contribute to fatty changes in the livers, hyperexcitability and convlusion, and inhibition of reproduction in animals, as well as interfering with estrogen-mediated functions such as ovulation and pregnancy. Research has showed that also induced liver cancer by interaction with strogen in female rodents. The amount of Type #4 of most samples analysis is, however, moderately low, at least compared to the other substances found. The toxicity in water contaminated by Type #4 is higher for children than for adults.

Type #5 is an organochloride, used in several herbicides, which is highly toxic to mammals, including humans, potentially leading to acute respiratory distress. However, when diluted is much less toxic, and considering the samples analyzed, it does not poses a serious health risk given the low amount in the contaminated water. However, we do not consider that such water recommendable for human or agriculture, particularly combined with the other toxic substances analyzed.

We consider that the sources of the contaminated water are not recommended for human use, particularly in the cases of underground water, where the contamination is more severe, until proper treatment is attained. For that aim, in order to provide safe drinking water to the population in the affected areas it will be required a scheme for improvement of water supply that we proportionate in the following...

Meamwhile, in Midtenstadt, the Office of the National Council, as the National Assembly was to hold an extraordinary session to confirm the creation of a Special Committee to investigate the crisis in Austland, announced that Secretary Grimwaldyna Nygaard will address the situation in a press conference on the afternoon.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 09:47:19 PM »

Nearby Briskemyr, Austland

"This building was ceded to us by Mr. Mannes", Kuunas explained. "They decided to move the production to Kannenheim, for logistical reasons I believe. But he told us that he decided to stop the sale of the property, and donated a sum for the accomodation to its new use".

"Good to know", Secretary Johannes Skouen replied, "any contribution will be helpful. How long will it take place before activity can start?".

"It's difficult to say", Kuunas answered. "It will still take some time, as the technology still needs to take, and it could require some hard work. But the old factory is big enough. Obviously, mass purification will require new infraestructure, but centers like the one we will put in place here, could contribute to ease the supply of water in nearby towns in provinces".

"Yes, it is better that we are able to put the system to work", Skouen replied. "After all, even our complementary supply will take a hit soon. We have acquired the new technology but it will require some time to replace the hit caused as the assistance offered us has to leave, naturally. Roughly 1 million litres per day after all".

"That seems a lot", Kuunas replied. "But a place like this could be able to purify 100,000 litres per day. As long as the ones in Haugefjord, it should be enough".

"I hope so", Skouen replied. "Where will be meeting Friman?".

"The councillor is awaiting us in Thausenmark, it is about two hours from here".

"Let's go as soon as possible", Skouen replied. "It gets tiresome to contemplate these buildings, in the middle of nowhere".

"Yes, sir", Kuunas replied. "It's true that this area saw better times...although that was a long time ago, obviously. And with this whole situation...but we can leave immediately".