Author Topic: Three Pillars Address - Nuclear Non-Proliferation  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Three Pillars Address - Nuclear Non-Proliferation
« on: May 28, 2021, 07:21:07 AM »

The Three Pillars Address

Empress Evanthe addresses the international community.

Fellow Rokkenjimans, Friends and Allies of the First Empire, honourable delegates from afar, I thank you for joining me this morning.

With the formation of the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency we find ourselves at the beginning of an age of broad and expansive international cooperation in the nuclear field. What was once our most potent and destructive of weapons has been removed from the field of battle through the collective and mutual disarmament of the Rokkenjiman, Achkaerinese and Morelander nuclear stockpiles while the knowledge accrued during the course of our nuclear programs has opened doors and pathways for peaceful and constructive utilization of atomic energy. The mutual disarmament ranks amongst the most significant international developments in the history of Mundus, one which has seen each former nuclear power take the most destructive of their blades, weigh the price of their continued existence against the future of their nations and the world around them, and instead of maintaining them and the great power they conferred, they broke them into plowshares.

Yet the greatest of tests and challenges remain before us. While each destructive arsenal was consigned to the pages of history the knowledge, materials and methods to construct them remain with us, a risk which may always hang above the community of nations as we continue our joint venture in this post-atomic weaponry age. One pillar in preserving the collective security of Mundus against that threat is the Agency I spoke of not moments ago, the MAEA, which our nations have entrusted with perhaps one of the most vital duties of any international organisation in the modern age. The success of the MAEA, moreso than broad international institutions such as the CoN or the CTO, is most crucial to ensuring a future of humanity which is free of some of the greatest risks we are capable of inflicting upon ourselves.

The second pillar which supports our collective security, a most necessary partner to the MAEA, is the International Non-Proliferation Agreement. This Agreement will see both former nuclear weapons states and non-nuclear weapons states enter into a solemn accord which will reduce the risk of the re-introduction of nuclear weaponry to Mundus, a development which would certainly threaten the sovereignty and security of all states. Yet we must also recognize that the peaceful expansion of nuclear technology and energy is not something which we need fear. Nuclear energy is certainly a component in forwarding a transition from fossil fuels and transitioning the energy economy of Mundus to a more green and sustainable path, which itself may assist in bringing upon Mundus a lasting peace for all nations.

I can say to you that the Rokkenjiman People share my belief that the existence of these challenges and potential dangers are not the burden of one nation, but they are those which are shared by all. Equally, where hope may exist in one nation that hope should most certainly be shared by all. The proposals I am laying before you today shall go a long manner to ease even the slightest manner of concern or tension which may exist in today's world and, if we are all equally committed to the path set before us by the mutual disarmament and the formation of the MAEA we may yet secure the safety, security and very future of Mundus for generations to come.

The First Empire desires to be constructive, not destructive or divisive, on this most crucial of issues. We seek accords and understandings, not strife and conflict, amongst the Peoples and Nations of Mundus. The First Empire wishes to exist in freedom and peace, and in the confidence that just as outer space has been established as a common heritage of humanity, that peaceful development and access to nuclear energy may be established as the second common heritage. Thus the purpose of the First Empire in this equation, recognizing the past contributions of the Federal Republic to the nuclear arms race, is to help move us forward from the darkest of horrors into the light, finding a way through which we may preserve a Mundus where all Peoples may enjoy peace and well-being without the prospect of complete and utter annihilation hanging above their heads at perhaps a moment's notice.

We must not lack patience for, in a world which is divided such as ours, we cannot hope to attain salvation by a handful of dramatic acts. We must follow the intent which is in our hearts with many meaningful steps taken over the course of many months, and perhaps years, before we may look at the world and realize that a new atmosphere of mutually peaceful confidence is abound in the world. With that being said, with that first act of the mutual disarmament to the establishment of the Agency, we must not rest on our laurels and must continue to take the necessary steps here, in the present in which we exist. Now and today must be recognized as our rallying call in very much the same manner as never again.

The Agency, with its responsibility for the storage and protection of nuclear materials, combined with the ingenuity of our scientists shall provide safe and certain conditions from which we may all move forward in this new relationship we find ourselves in with nuclear technology. Devising methods whereby nuclear material will be allocated to serve in the peaceful pursuits of humanity remains another crucial task of the Agency, one which the First Empire is prepared to assist with through the continued successful development of ANEEL fuel and its related technologies, providing not only a safer fuel in the standard operations of nuclear plants across Mundus but one which makes it prohibitively difficult from which to devise a nuclear weapon from. This, I feel, may prove to provide the third pillar in this new age: expanding access to this shared heritage and all the benefits it may confer while preserving the safety and security of all Peoples and Nations from the specter of nuclear weaponry revisiting our world. We may see the expansion of abundant nuclear electricity to even the most power-starved areas of Mundus alongside the deployment of experts to apply atomic energy to the needs of medicine and other peaceful endeavours, the atom serving only the peaceful pursuits of humanity.

Together, both former nuclear weapons states and non-nuclear weapons states shall dedicate their strength not toward the collective fears of humanity, but toward our collective needs. This most certainly requires a responsible expansion of the peaceful use of atomic energy, a pursuit which the First Empire is endeavouring to empower through the proposal of these two subsequent pillars.

ANEEL allows us to diminish the destructive potential of the expansion of nuclear materials and generation capacity across Mundus while allowing the Peoples of all nations to see that, in this enlightened age, it matters not whether one is a great power, in this endeavour we are all equals in our pursuit of a peaceful atomic age, and that we seek to build up the best of human aspirations rather than the tools for war and intimidation. It is not a presentation of strength that our nations pursue the power of the atom, but our shared desires and hopes in peace and the advancement of humanity. The foreseeable future will be shaped by our past history with atomic weaponry yet, I am confident that as we move beyond the shadow of that fearful era we shall see a Mundus devoted to the path which sees that our miraculous inventiveness shall be put to the task of improving lives all across Mundus as opposed to our destruction and demise.

I have dispatched a copy of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Agreement to capitals across Mundus so that we may begin the process of adopting the second pillar in our joint strategy for a more safe and secure Mundus, one which ensures Atoms of Peace, not Atoms of War. I shall furthermore authorize the Imperial Energy Administration to work with the MAEA and national governments regarding ANEEL fuel while providing the necessary funding in the form of grants for the construction, pending their joining of the Agency, of new reactors in emerging nuclear markets so that we may ensure that no state is left without safe, ample and reliable power. May we all work together in this new era of a peaceful atom, and may the generations which follow us never again tread down the path which empowered us with the means to ensure our own demise.

Thank you all for your time. I look forward to our cooperation and success in preserving the future, for should that most dreadful of genies ever be released again I fear we may find it that much more difficult to contain once again.

The draft as it was left back then. I aimed for something bare-bones that others could contribute to as I didn't wish to dictate the entire process and love the collaboration that can take place, so do keep that in mind if something is missing. Let's all mold the draft into something we can all be happy with. :)

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: Three Pillars Address - Nuclear Non-Proliferation
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 02:37:34 AM »

Non-Proliferation Summit

The First Empire recently dispatched copies of a draft for the International Non-Proliferation Agreement, a cornerstone document which is necessary to preserve the countless gains we have made as a community of nations in the post-nuclear weaponry world. Having time to review the Proposal, which has left ample room to ensure this process could not be construed as imposition, I believe we must take the next step in putting in the effort and action to see this Treaty signed and in force sooner rather than later.

In these interests I invite all interested nations to a working session aboard the United States, where we will utilize one of the conference rooms for this working session while taking advantage of the United States' culinary, hospitality and recreational facilities. The vessel will be operating under the contract of the Imperial Government, thus no passengers shall be present aboard the vessel for this Summit. She is to be berthed in Port Monsoon, Floodwater for the duration of the Summit and will be under the joint protection of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy and the Tytorian Royal Navy.

Respectfully yours;

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princess of Arovium

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis