Roleplay > Vignettes

The Three Horsemen

<< < (2/4) > >>

paralipomena:

State Department of Military Information headquarters

"I have good news", Yohannes.

"Really?",  Jang Han-woo asked.

"Indeed", Yohannes answered. "I was confirmed that I will get the promotion, as soon as we solve the main case we have in our hands".

"Congratulations, sir", Jang replied. "Although not entirely sure if that's good news right now".

"Why not?", Yohannes. "Oh, don't worry. I'm already working to remove any obstacles. We're safe. They won't risk to disturb us giving the circumstances. I feel they may be too nervous".

"That's understable", Jang replied.

"Yes, sure", Yohannes said, with a more serious expression. "You did well. We may have a promising future on our hands. I'm pleasantly surprised but I appreciate your decision. That old man was too accomodating. We needed a change of direction".

"Anyway", Yohannes added, "as soon as I am confirmed as Chairman, this chair", he said while strongly holding his own chair, "will be yours".

"Oh", Jang replied, "it will be a honour for me if that was the case...However, how is that possible? I thought the next National Executive Committee meeting was not until...".

"I had assurances that the decision was already taken", Yohannes interrupted him. "There is going to be an agreement between the Secretariat and what remains of the cabinet. The want to assure that the key positions are filled as soon as possible. Then a new leadership will be announced before the election".

"You know", Yohannes continued, "politics as usual. We have to make sure to clean our house before that happens".

"Yes, sure", a slightly surprised Jang simply said.

"Before that, however", Yohannes added, "I have an important task for you. It is essential that no mistake is made. A stupid move and this could be our end".

"I understand, sir", Jang replied. "What's about?".

"It will be your goodbye from the bridage", Yohannes said. "You'll need to go to Albion. I'll give you the details later. I have a meeting in the White Tower".

"I understand", Jang replied. "I'll do my best".

"I'm sure about that", Yohannes replied, while standing up and looking for his waistcoat.

paralipomena:

Djabidjan City

"I feel things are going too slowly", Min said.

"You must be patient", Tieu replied. "We'll have time to prepare now".

"Nothing is certain", Min argued. "So falling to make a move may leave us in a worse position, after all".

"Indeed", Tieu replied, "but the wrong move would leave us in a rather weak position".

"It is better that way", Tieu continued, "everything is open right now. We have time to manoeuvre in the meantime".

"I have no patience for that", Min replied. "They may recover in a month, you may face more opposition then".

"If we hadn't postponed the decision", Tieu replied, "they would have proposed Hwang as president. For some strange reason, for what I could tell, former Han's associates are keen of him. Even if it was temporary decision, it would have been really difficult to prepare the terrain under a new presidency".

"Just give us time", Tieu continued, "I hope that along Hong, we could be able to build a majority in both the Council and the Committee, while we try to gain a few extra allies in our task".

"Do you really trust him?", Min asked.

"I feel he's convinced on the situation", Tieu answered. "Right now, we have no option. In the meantime, you better spread your influence in the White Tower, if you are willing to have an option in October".

"I know", an evaside Min replied. "It has become a bit annoying right now, but I don't think it will be a huge challenge so far".

"I can only hope you're right", Tieu replied.

paralipomena:

State Department of Military Information headquarters

"Gentlemen", Yohannes told to a bunch of officers, "the security of the nation is in your own hands".

"I know you know this very well and that you are prepared for such a task", he continued. "I have been informed that our department has the confidence of the government. However, that trust must be built. If we fail to produce results, that trust may fade away. I know that you are aware on what's really on play. For that task, any means may be required. Whatever it costs, hunt the culprits down and extract any information from the suspects, by any means necessary. You'll be rewarded for your efforts".

"Yes, sir!", several voices were heard.

"Now", Yohannes added, "you can leave to start your work. I'll follow your results closely".

All officers and officials in the meeting immediately left the room. All except one, Minh Vu.

"I have received information that the last mission in Hyeoul was a success and the objective was successfully neutralized".

"Excellent", Yohannes said.

"However", Minh Vu continued, "I'm afraid that we realized that something went wrong...We could only find four corpses, the fifth one is missing. He has not returned to the barracks or his own home, so I immediately ordered a search".

"You better find him", a visibly annoyed Yohannes replied. "It must be a priority right now".

"I understand, sir", Minh Vu replied. "I'll be personally involved".

"I count with you...", Yohannes replied. "Better if you find him immediately".

paralipomena:
Lake Escarion, Ohara Island

"Move! Move!", Bek ordered.

"Any resistance will be futile and you may pay a unnecessary price!", Choon-he warned. "Anyone affected will be allowed to return to your houses as soon as it is possible. Nobody will be left behind if you cooperate with us".

"Where are they?", Choon-he asked back to his men.

"They are in the canteen, sir", a young officer said.

"Alright, let's move", Choon-he said. "Let's finish with this immediately".

They advanced through the tiny island, while the inhabitants were being transferred to the fishing boats and the search teams started their work while dismantling the old and weak doors and walls.

"This is the place, sir", Cibuike said. Choon-he could observe that the place had better walls that the other buildings, although he still found it a rusty and gloomy place, like the mess hall of an old prison.

"Here you have the Onyeku family", Bek told Choon-he.

He observed the couple, man in his 50s with his slightly younger wife, and what was likely their little daughter. Choon-he could easily see some bruises on the men's face, although it did not change his impression.

"Let me check the papers", Choon-he said, "beside the son, there is also another daughter, right?".

"That's right", Bek answered.

"I see", Choon-he replied. "I'm sorry about this affair", he continued looking to the couple, particularly the husband, "I can understand that this situation is not pleasant, but we're dealing with very serious issues lately. I hope to count with your sincere cooperation, for the best of your family, of course".

The man remained silent. "Where is your son, Ebalé Onyeku? We must find him to assure his safety, you must understand".

"He doesn't live with us anymore...", the woman started to said, until he felt his husband's hand peacefully but disapprovingly holding her writ.

"But I realize you must any way to contact with him, beyond his own address", Choon-he replied.

"You are only complicating your life", Bek intervened, "and your family's future, if you reject to cooperate. You must understand that we can send you immediately to jail, you and your neighbors. We're actually doing you a favour".

"That's right", Choon-he said. "But let's not rush a decision. Although you must understand that we haven't much time".

"Our son is certainly innocent", Ocha'a said, "but our daughter has nothing to do with whatever you have in mind!".

"I hope you are right, indeed", Choon-he replied. "That's why we need your cooperation. It's better if you don't play with your children's lives. We'll find them, sooner or later, after all. But it's better for them if we are able to talk with them, without any obstacle".

This time, the woman did not reply, but she kept silence, with her head looking down and covered by her own hands.

"That's right", Choon-he said, after a silence of a few seconds. "I realize you may be a bit overwhelmed about the current situation. It's only natural. We'll give you a bit of time, although not that much, so you can reconsider you options right now. And of course, I can understand that you can't afford a disruption of your professional life. But that should be last of your worryings right now".

"You'll be given a final chance", Choon-he continued. "You're going to be sent to the Okujida survillance center, for a temporary resettlement. I hope you'll be able to reconsider you options, for the well-being of you and your family, your children included...".

"Let's go", he told to Bek. "Take them to Okujida, with the rest of them, and continue the search. I'll go back to Jangju, let me know if there are any results".

"Yes, sir", Bek replied. "And you, start moving, don't waste our patience", he ordered the distressed family.

paralipomena:

Djabidjan City

"Welcome, Minister Min", Tieu said. "How is everything going?".

"It's fine, I assume",  Min Tae-joon said, while looking suspiciously at the man standing next to one of the corners of the table.

"I believe you already know Hong Tae-woo, is that right?", Tieu asked.

"I believe so...", Min simply replied.

"Yes, of course", Hong Tae-woo said. "But it's a pleasure to meet you again, Minister Min".

"As you can imagine", Tieu explained, "we are increasingly busy preparing the coming congress. Although the most difficult part is already prepared, obviously, we are constantly a large number of petitions and questions that we are forced to address as soon as it is possible".

"I understand", replied Min, who did not seem too interested about that information.

"Hong", Tieu said, "do you mind leaving us alone a few minutes? There is a petition from the Office of the Prime Minister that Mr. Min is helping me to coordinate".

"Of course not, Deputy Secretary!, Hong Tae-woon replied. "I think I'll have a coffee now...It was a pleasure to see you again, Minister Min".

"Perfect", Tieu replied, while Min simply nodded as Hong left the room.

"Do you really trust him?", Min asked.

"Ah, do you mean Hong?", a slighly surprised Tieu asked. "He may not be the most smart mind in our bunch", he explained, "but he's quite diligent and hard-working to save me a lot of tiresome work".

"I hope you are not being absorbed too much about the event", Min said with an increasingly serious and grave tone. "I feel something is moving under the shadows. I can feel it in the State Council, particularly since Nang was officialized as Prime Minister...".

"It's natural that the situation is tense", Tieu replied, "and that everyone is trying to play their own cards in a situation like this. But you should focus on the most important right now, as I told you. Maybe you are also seeing what it is not there after looking too much where there is nothing at all".

"I'd be more confident about you and your plans if you told me more things in advance...", Min replied, visibly losing his patience.

"What do you mean?", Tieu asked. "There are certain things that are changing and moving too quickly. Sometimes we just need to make a decision in the moment, if we don't want to lose our moment".

"It's not helpful to feel the last one who was informed just before it was announced", Min complained. "Did you really need to bring back that elephant to head the assembly?"

"I guess you mean  Shin Yong-Nam....", a pensive Tieu replied. "Well, he is one of the most senior members of the assembly, it was a natural choice...besides, he was once close to the President and Premier Han's right hand for a while. We certainly need someone who has that kind of information. We need to mobilize late Premier Han's supporters on our favour if we want to be successful".

"I am mostly concerned that you may have awaken another rival", an unconvinced Min replied.

"Don't worry", Tieu argued, "I'm putting most of my efforts right now to avoid that".

"Whatever", Min simply replied. "By the way, I heard that the Ministry of Defense is increasingly suspicious about the response following the attack. It should have been closed by now".

"That's right", Tieu replied. "I can try to talk with Arendse as soon I have more free time".

"I may do it myself", Min said. "I may need to visit the State Department anyway as I'll be probably entrusted to coordinate the security with the Ministry of Defense and the State Department".

"Excellent...", Tieu replied. "I may need to talk to him anyway, but let me know your impression as soon as you meet him. I can barely check him in the last weeks".

"I understand", Min replied. "I have to come back now. We'll meet soon, I have some question about the congress".

"No problem", Tieu replied with a smile. "Everything will be ready by then, I'm convinced".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version