Roleplay > Vignettes

To Control an Empire... (Disregard this)

<< < (2/2)

Daitō:
Imperial Palace, Shinkyō--
16 July, 2021--
1700 Hours--

The grounds of the Imperial Palace were quiet today as the Emperor practiced his mounted archery; he was, after all, going to compete in the upcoming Mundus Games. However, as he stood under the branches of an old sycamore tree, he would take a moment to discuss the recent findings in the investigation of the 6/10 attacks. Jin, for his part, would do his best to fill him in, having already made him aware of his concerns regarding Fukushi-Taishō a few weeks prior.
   "So, is there anything else, Director Hiraishi?" The Emperor would ask, his eyes on his guest.
   "Yes, actually. Fukushi-Taishō has requested that I arrest a member of the RAC within the month. Frame them for the attacks, your Highness." Jin responded. He was, though he wouldn't admit it here, worried, and rightfully so. If he didn't comply, then his family was as good as dead.
   "Since when did the Tokkō take orders from a mere general?" The Emperor asked, intrigued.
   "Since he was the second-in-command to Esashi-Taishō, your Highness." Jin responded before saying "That... and if I don't comply... well, my family's in the crossfire."
   "Ah, I see." The Emperor sighed. "Well, if that's the case, I promise that nothing will happen to them. Just do your job, and I will find a way to... deal with our common enemy." He said, in effect dismissing him.

The Game begins

Daitō:
Tokkō HQ, Shinkyō--
18 November, 2021--
1300 Hours--

Jin found himself sat in his office, watching the news as it came in following a press conference he held earlier that day. How he hated those things, much as he enjoyed his job at this point. It was nice, holding an advantage over his opponent. Of course, he knew better than to believe that the arrest he'd made earlier would go unnoticed by Fukushi-Taishō, after all, Kaiji Hatsu was one of his boys. A member of the RAC, but only so far as to keep an eye on the group. More importantly, he had been a member of the Sumeragi Michi, same as Fukushi-Taishō was... and he had, once. He didn't like having to lie about the reason he had been brought in, but ultimately, it was necessary to maintain a facsimile of justice for the public and an illusion that he was on the General's side.
   "...concerns as to how our gunman acquired the rifle used, that being a Yamakawa R73, we have no doubt that 'Hatsu-san' was responsible." A voice said on the television as Jin bit his lip in disgust. It was his voice, and though it was difficult to tell, that was very much a lie. Both to calm the public and to make Fukushi-Taishō believe the Tokkō wasn't onto him. He would, as he tapped his finger against the desk, once again go over the transcript of the interrogation, still surprised as to how much information he had given up.
Tokkō HQ, Shinkyō--
17 November, 2021--
1130 Hours--

The Director found himself pacing around the Interrogation Room, his eyes trained on the subject. He noticed the bright light, though he paid it no mind, as well as individual's expression. Clearly, he felt hatred for his captor, though he suspected it was due to his own former association with their organization. He probably saw Jin as a traitor, which he understood. However, he didn't care, after all, he was doing his duty for the Emperor and for the People. Eventually, with a sigh, he would sit down at the table.
   "So, 'Hatsu-san', before we begin, I have the duty to inform you of your rights as guaranteed by the Constitution." Jin said, his eyes trained on the suspect. He would then proceed to list the rights he was provided by law before asking "Do you understand why you were brought in today?"
   "Like you don't already know, traitor." Kaiji responded in a hoarse manner, glaring at him. "But... so that this isn't entirely pointless, it's because you believe I shot the Emperor, yeah?"
   "Something like that." Jin responded, resting his head against his thumb and index finger. "You may not have pulled the trigger, but the blame rests on you and the Sumeragi Michi."
   "That so? Last I heard, the RAC had taken responsibility for it." Kaiji said in a sarcastic manner; obviously, he knew that they weren't responsibile for it. After all, he was a member of both organizations, even if his membership in the RAC was due to him being imbedded to spy on it.
   "Don't bother playing games with me, Kaiji. You know as well as I do that I that do that you won't be walking out of this a free man." Jin said, though it was only partially true. There was still a chance, however unlikely, that he was innocent. "We have good reason to suspect that you murdered Ijima-chūi shortly after the assassination of His Majesty. That alone could land you with a life sentence, not to mention the terrorism and regicide charges... Well, lets just say it isn't looking good for you... unless you cooperate."
   "I knew the risks, 'Director'. We all did, when we signed up." Kaiji sighed. "If you think I'm gonna tell you who else was involved, then you may as well try and take a jeweled branch from Hōrai."
   "Come now, Kaiji. I'm trying to help you out here. I mean, you want to be able to see your kids grow up, don't you? Live out at least some of your days a free man?"
   "That'd be nice, yeah... But if I tell you, I'm as good as dead anyways."
   "Bah, don't say that. You'll be protected if anyone tries to take revenge." Jin lied; he couldn't care if he died, so long as the Sumeragi Michi were destroyed and their leaders were brought to justice. He was probably still going to get the death penalty anyways, he figured.
   "...Promise?" Kaiji asked, now more nervous than anything.
   "I promise." Jin smiled, even if it was fake. "Now, please. Tell me what you can."
   "Alright... You already know Fukushi-Taishō leads the organization, and presumably about his upper leadership. But... the guy who put me up to hiring Ijima-chūi was a man... a man named Fukuda. Hidetoshi Fukuda."
   "You mean the daughter of Ahane-Taishō, right?"
   "Yes. He had me plan the attack. Aquire the explosives. Ijima was assigned to kill the Emperor and a few others."
   "By 'the Emperor', you mean he was ordered to kill Antei Tennō?"
   "No. The reigning Emperor. The Emperor-Emeritus was not a primary target."
   "Why didn't he take that shot, then?"
   "He tried. Hit a bodyguard instead. 'Course, I had to take him out to keep him from turning himself in. He was always weak-willed, y'know?"
   "One last question before I'll give you a few minutes to think. Does the Sumeragi Michi have any other attacks planned?"
   "Yes... Kinda. We're laying low, for now anyways. Probably gonna try and strike in December, vengeance for Prime Minister Fukumoto. Nothing concrete though."
   "Well, thank you for your time." Jin said, writing down what he had just been told before standing up. "Oh, and Hatsu-san? Good luck. You'll need it." He said before leaving the room.
Now, all that Jin had to do was wait for an opportunity to strike. Soon, the traitor would fall.

He had to do this, no matter what.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version