Roleplay > Vignettes

Lifetimes of Change (Historical Vignettes set from 1891 - 2011)

<< < (10/11) > >>

Daitō:
”I’m Glad”Hiroioki, Kyūre, Izumi Prefecture
July 19th, 1945
9:18 AM

It was an odd pair of phrases, ”I’m glad” and ”It’s good.” Yuna thought as she looked down at the bandaged stump that was once her right hand. She’d heard it over and over again for the last few weeks, whether from friends, family, or even from complete strangers. Glad that she was alive, that the house hadn’t been lost, that she was healing rather quickly. So many things they said that they were glad for, and yet, she couldn’t help but wonder what she should be glad about, what was so good about any of what had happened. It was all wrong. So very, very wrong. It had only been a few weeks ago that she’d learned that her right hand was gone. The same hand that once grabbed Kahori’s hand in June. The same hand that she’d used to draw her husband’s face in May. The same hand that had helped Ikuko cross the bay ten years ago.

How was she holding up, Yuna thought to herself. They’d only had a short while to talk to one another back in November, and she didn’t take the news about their brother all too well. They’d tried to keep in touch though, albeit by letter, but even these had stopped since the accident. She wasn’t so good at writing with her left hand anyways, so it was probably to be expected, but… Ikuko hadn’t sent anything, either. Her parents had, but it was pretty much complete silence from her. Maybe she was just too busy? That was probably it; she had been one of the more industrious Kimuras, after all, but… Between all that had happened with Isao and now her, she couldn’t blame her if it was a little bit difficult. And if she was going to visit, it would’ve been next to impossible for the first few weeks anyways, just due to travel restrictions.

And as though fate had decided to toy with her again, the door slid open, and someone stepped in. Probably just Natsumi, coming by to check on her again, but maybe, just maybe it was another visitor, seeing as the only other alternative was her sister-in-law, who had just about stopped talking to her anymore. She couldn’t help but wonder if her sister-in-law had simply been feeling guilt about what she had said to her earlier or if it were simply another manifestation of her grief. For all she knew, it might’ve been both. Either way, with regards to who had come to visit, she’d soon have the answer anyway.
   “Your sister’s here.” Natsumi said, at which point Yuna’s attention slowly shifted from her hand.
   “Oh, how horrible, Yuna.” Ikuko said as she entered the room; in her hands was a parcel of some sort, likely containing some sort of fabric based on how it slumped against her arms.
   “Ikuko? You… came to see me?” Yuna asked, her face almost lighting up upon seeing her.
   “Of course. You probably don’t remember, but I came by the day after…”
   “After Kahori died.”
   “Right. You were still out cold, though.”
   “I’m gonna be honest, I’m surprised you could even make it out here.” Yuna said as she sat up on her futon. “I thought the Army was still imposing its restrictions on travel.” She added as her sister took a seat beside her.
   “Oh, they are.” Ikuko answered. “You remember that officer I told you about, back when you came to visit last year?” She asked, to which her sister nodded in response. “Well, he wound up getting assigned to help transport supplies out here from Hatsukaichi, and he’s been allowing me to hitch a ride on his truck.”
   “I see… What’s his name?” Yuna inquired, head tilted.
   “Hm? Oh, Hiroki.”
   “Well, you’d best give this ‘Lt. Hiroki’ my thanks.” Yuna smiled. “So, what’s in the package?”
   “Oh, right.” Ikuko said, quickly grabbing it and opening it. “Just some old clothes, hand-me-downs that some of my friends from work gave me. I know, they’re old, but they’re pure cotton.”
   “Pure? So, no rayon?” Yuna asked, surprised that she’d even been able to find it. Ever since ‘39, the government had mandated that all cotton yarn be blended with the stuff, which meant it was… not exactly very durable. Actually wound up putting the family business under and forcing her father to rejoin the military, even if as an overseer for an arsenal.
   “Indeed. ‘Course, now I owe them, but for you, it’s worth it.”

A few moments passed as they continued to talk, during which time Azumi would quickly drop by and serve the two of them tea. It was hardly what could be considered “good”, but it was the gesture that mattered more than quality. Besides, with how hard it had become to afford even such a simple luxury, you’d need to take what you could get. Even so, she still remained silent as she first entered and then left the room, and so too were they. Yuna could’ve sworn that she heard Ikuko apologize, even if quietly, but that was about it. Once she had left, though, they would get back to talking amongst themselves.
   “I suppose I should thank you.” Yuna said after a moment, looking down at the clothing. It had certainly seen better days, but then again, so had she.
   “It’s nothing, honestly. I’d like to imagine you would’ve done the same, were our roles reversed.”
   “No need to imagine, you know I would.” Yuna said, to which Ikuko nodded in agreement.

Some time would pass, and the hour would soon grow late. It had been quite surprising, truth be told, just how quickly the day had passed, but everything had its appointed hour, and this was the one where her sister had to leave. They had, of course, enjoyed the time they spent together; in many ways, like they had been as children, they were still each other’s best friend, if not their first. But that didn’t mean that schedules couldn’t be kept. Far from it, in fact.
   “Well, I’d best be going.” Ikuko said, grabbing her things with a smile. So innocent, much like Kahori, and a sight all too rare these days. Yuna had hoped and prayed that she would survive the war unscathed, unshaken by all that had happened, and so far, it seemed like it might stay that way. But as her father had taught her, it was best to cherish the moments you had with those you loved, and so, she’d make a decision which, though perhaps foolish given the state she was in, was one she would have to commit to.
   “Tell you what, I’ll walk you half-way.” She replied. And so, a couple minutes would pass as they got ready to leave, but eventually, they were off.Nikokyo, Kyūre, Izumi Prefecture
3:26 PM

I had come to regret my decision, tagging along, even if I wasn’t walking the whole way. It wasn’t the distance, nor was it my still-healing arm that was the trouble, but rather, the heat. It was unseasonably warm out, even for this time of year, and it was further compounded by most of the trees being burned away on the 1st of July. And that was before we even reached the city proper. Hiroioki had taken a beating, to be sure, but nothing could compare to what was before us. Though I didn’t know if she felt the same, it seemed to me like the world was spiraling out of control, and I had been merely a vicarious bystander who wound up getting unlucky.
   “Are you sure you’ll be okay?” Ikuko asked me as we descended the hill, probably because I’d nearly tripped going down it. I could never understand why anyone would want to live at the top of such a steep hill, let alone put a road going up this part of it. “Yeah. I need the exercise anyway. Doctor’s orders.” I answered.

A few minutes passed as we continued to climb down, and I got to thinking about Isao again. Just about every time he’d stop by to visit, he’d complain to me about the climb, especially after they’d finally scrapped the steam bus. Something to do with it just being incapable of going uphill, or so I’d been told, though she suspected it was more due to poor maintenance than anything else. As we walked, passing first into Hondori, I could tell just how bad the attacks had been. In spite of what we had thought, the idea that Kyūre was safe after so much had been burned was proving to be false. After all, we still didn’t go more than a few days at a time between air raids, and every so often, the harbor would be hit again, as would the surrounding buildings which had yet survived.
   “So, where are we going exactly?” I asked, stepping over some rubble which had fallen in the road.
   “Well, I’m supposed to meet him by the fire station.” Ikuko answered, still looking forward.
   “Ah, then you’ll want to look for the observation tower down by the river.” I replied, though come to think of it, was it still around? The fire had been pretty bad, even over there, so it wasn’t as though I knew for sure if it had survived. “Oh, wait, it probably burned down, didn’t it.”
   “Nope, it’s still there.” Ikuko responded. “Hiroki showed it to me on the way into town.” She added before positively gushing about him. “He’s so kind, y’know. He gives me ration coupons for lunch and movie tickets. And of course, he remembered that I have a sister out here, so…”
   “Sounds to me like you like him.” I teased her for a moment, which of course caused no small amount of embarrassment for my sister, which I too would feel once she started “lightly” patting me on the back. “What are you talking about, Yuna?” She joked as we continued to walk.

It was nice, seeing that at least someone was so happy, even now that the world had been turned upside-down. That flowers could still bloom, even when by all accounts, the world they knew was dead. For some people, life just went on, unaware of the horrors that lurked not even a hundred kilometers away. Her old hometown must’ve been so peaceful, this time of year. Yet in Kyūre, so close-by, hell had arrived, and death yet lingered in the air. Two cities, so close yet so different, two lifestyles separate from one another. When this was all over, if anyone were left alive, would a place like Hatsukaichi be the same as before, or would it too be forever changed?

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve spoken to Iwao a whole lot since that day.

“This place really got hit hard, didn’t it?” Ikuko asked me as we approached the city center. All around, just about as far as the eye could see, the city was flattened. A few people still lingered, living out of their shelters and trying to pick up the pieces as well as they could, but it would certainly be in vain the next time an attack happened. And there would be a next time, that was certain. Especially with the rumors that the Army was getting ready for something big, something which might hopefully put an end to the raids once and for all

Of course, I didn’t understand why anyone would stay behind; after all, if their homes were burnt down, why not just leave? We stopped by the side of the road, near where some incense had been placed where someone had died, and we offered a prayer for them. Ikuko seemed surprised that someone had died here, let alone that the body hadn’t been dealt with so far, yet I’ve walked by people lying dead in the street without so much as batting an eye. It had just become ordinary, a part of the daily routine.
   “Kyūre keeps getting bombed endlessly… How can people keep living with it?” She asked me as she stood up from the impromptu shrine, surrounded by water from a burst pipe. “Why, that attack at the start of the month was so bad that we could see the sky turning red, even from home.”

I think I knew, at that moment, what was wrong. My sister was only a year younger than me, but I knew that I was the one who was all wrong. Warped by the war like a world drawn with my left hand.

“So, uh… With your… Your hand being the way it is, it must be hard, helping the Umekis.” She said, turning to look at me. “The point I’m trying to make is… Well. The point is, I’d like for you to come home. To Hatsukaichi.” I was, of course, surprised by the request; I hadn’t even really considered it an option until she said it, and I didn’t know if I could leave everyone—everything—behind again. Not now. “There aren’t any raids on the city, and I know, it won’t be the same now that Isao’s gone, but… It would do your mother so much good if you were around.” That was a good point, I thought privately; not my brother being gone, but everything else. I’m glad. I thought to myself before I answered.
“...It’s a tempting offer.” I looked away, a smirk on my face as I thought of what else I could say. “Maybe I’ll come and see if this officer ‘friend’ of yours is as handsome as you say he is.” I teased yet again.
   “That’s not funny!” Ikuko said in a slightly higher-pitched voice than usual.
   “I kid, I kid.” I said, trying to defuse the situation just in case.
   “Sure you do.” Ikuko replied before saying “It’s a good idea though.” before leaving. But before she got too far, she turned around and shouted something about the upcoming festival, set for the 5th of August, as well as that she ought to come home soon. And yet, I was undecided. One thing I knew, though, was that because I was so tempted to run away, my brother would be disappointed.

And because of that, I was glad he wasn’t around anymore.

Daitō:
The CowardHiroioki, Kyūre, Izumi Prefecture
July 28th, 1945
7:00 AM

The raids had gotten worse since I last saw Ikuko. Every day, the Ardians would come back, tearing into the city like a flock of vultures would a dead animal. There was no sense to it, I thought as I went out for my early morning walk around the district; after all, the fleet had all but abandoned the city in favor of surrounding islands, and there was hardly any manufacturing going on here anymore, either. But come, they did, becoming just another part of daily life. A life which could be snuffed out at any moment with only a few minutes of warning prior. Truthfully, I was tired; just yesterday, the city had been attacked on nine separate occasions, and as a result, I got very little sleep. If it weren’t for the doctor’s orders that I get up and move around, I think I might’ve just stayed in bed.

I could hear the squawking of a couple herons overhead, blissfully unaware of the danger that now encompassed Kyūre and other towns. I had no such luxury; at any moment, another attack could happen, and right now, I was exposed. And then, almost as if the universe had decided to play games with me in particular, that ever-familiar drone of the sirens came back, and before I knew it, I was running. I imagined myself yelling at the Herons, that it was unsafe for them and that they should cross the mountains to Hatsukaichi, but in truth, those words were for me. I felt unsafe here, that I didn’t belong, and Ikuko’s offer had grown more and more tempting with each passing day. Obviously, I needed to get home, but I soon stopped in the middle of the road, seeing aircraft above barrelling towards me. They opened fire, and at that moment, I was sure that I was dead. To hesitate was to die at times like these. I felt myself go flying before landing in a ditch, but when I opened my eyes, I was still alive.
   “Are you trying to get yourself killed!?” I heard Iwao shout as he held me down in the ditch, bullets whizzing overhead.
   “I’m sorry, it’s just…” I replied, but my mind went blank. I was scared; how could I not be? It was like that day all over again, the day that we lost Kahori, and though some part of me wished I had been taken with her, I now felt that I owed it to everyone to live for her sake. But I had to say something, anything, even if it might not have been the entire truth. “A heron.” I bit my lip. What a poor excuse. “I saw a heron fly by, and I got distracted.”
   “A… heron?” Iwao asked, sitting up in the ditch once the aircraft had flown off. “I saw it too. I think it flew away to the sea. Probably died.”

It probably died. That was it, wasn’t it. To stay in Kyūre was to die, as the heron had. To flee, to find safe harbor across the mountains, that would allow me to live. I thought for a moment about what Ikuko had said to me, the last time we spoke. ”I’d like for you to come home. To Hatsukaichi.” She said. ”There aren’t any raids on the city.” If that was true, then why did I wait? Why did I hesitate? I had to say something about it, and there really wasn’t a gentle way to put it given both the circumstances and what it might mean for the two of us.
   “Iwao, I… I want to return to Hatsukaichi.” I finally said as we ducked again, an aircraft flying overhead and strafing the street nearby.
“What, and never come back?” He asked, confused by what I was saying, and though, looking back on it now, I didn’t mean it that way, I didn’t say that. At that moment, I just wanted to go home. To return to the life I had once known, to times more simple than my own. “Is it because you lost your hand? Are you afraid of the attacks?” He asked, and it was true on both accounts. “Or… Is it because of what happened to Kahori?” That too, most of all. But I was silent, and in a way, I couldn’t hear him. Not literally, of course, but I wouldn’t listen. “Say something! Anything!” He said, raising his voice, to which I responded with a firm “No!”

A moment passed, practically as short as a heartbeat, before he said anything. I suppose my face betrayed my words, since it was impossible to deny what I felt. I was terrified. Terrified that I would never recover, that I was forever crippled and had no hope for a future. Terrified that any day now, I could be walking down the road and then I would be gone. And most of all, terrified that I might lose someone like I had my niece. And now, I felt I had only two options before me, those being to run or to face all that had happened. And at that moment, I was a coward. I’d promised that I would protect my family, that I would keep everyone safe, and what had that gotten me? I had lost my arm, gotten my niece killed, and now, I was face to face with the man I had failed. What choice did I have but to run?
   “Yuna, I enjoyed every minute of it.” He told me as we sat up again. “These last two years, I… Enjoyed coming home, having a life that you were a part of. I loved going for strolls with you and just talking. Didn’t you? Or were you just pretending!?”

I wanted to respond, to say that it hadn’t been some sort of a ruse, but with the airplanes circling overhead, with the bullets ricocheting all around, I could hardly respond properly. It would only be once the raid had come to an end that I would finally find the words to respond.
   “You want the truth, Iwao? Fine.” I said as the all-clear went out and life went back to some semblance of normal. “I never once was ‘pretending’, even when I first arrived. But you were right about something.” I said as we stepped out of the ditch. “I’ve had a lot of time to think about this, but I am scared. Scared that any day now, I’ll either lose you or someone else, like I did Kahori.”
   “Then why didn’t you say so?” Iwao asked me, placing his hands on my shoulders. I didn’t think he’d be so quick to forgive, if that was what was going on anyways. “I can see that you’re hurting, Yuna. And frankly, I don’t blame you for wanting to leave, and I won’t stop you if you do. Frankly, if it weren’t for my duties here, I would go with you, but… Surely this isn’t the end, is it?”
   “I don’t want it to be.” I said, embracing him with tears in my eyes. “So let’s not make this a goodbye.”

Daitō:
Dawn of a New AgeHiroioki, Kyūre, Izumi Prefecture
August 5th, 1945
8:10 AM

Ever since that day, Yuna’s desire to return home had waned; she still planned to visit, even if she hadn’t ultimately made up her mind if she would stay in Hatsukaichi or not. Her father had put it best, in a letter he’d sent, and all the way from Shinkyo, no less. ”Running will only make the pain worse in the end.” He’d said. A man with his experience would know. After all, that’s why he’d come to Hatsukaichi all those years ago. Supposedly, he’d been summoned to the capital by some important figure in the government, but to what end, he never said. What mattered was that when she crossed over the mountains, back to the town of her birth, he would not be there. It would just be her mother and Ikuko, and of course her cousins across the bay.

When she’d announced her plans, back on the evening of the 28th, everything had changed once again. For her and Iwao, it had been… complicated, suffice to say. They’d hardly spoken, if only to make their parting somewhat easier, but they both knew they’d miss one another, no matter how long it might be. The house had changed in other ways, too; on top of the five of them—Daisaku, Natsumi, Azumi, Iwao, and herself—they were now also hosting her father-in-law’s sister and brother-in-law, at least until they could afford to rebuild their own home or move somewhere else. It had certainly been an adjustment, having the seven of them under one roof, but soon, that might not be her problem anymore. And of course, Azumi had slowly but surely come back around to her, though they still didn’t exactly speak too often. She couldn’t really blame her, though.

It was a difficult time, no matter how you spun it.

Even so, life had to go on. And just because she was to leave for Hatsukaichi soon didn’t mean she didn’t have work to do. Far from it, in fact. So here she was, sweeping the floors since that didn’t require her to have two hands to do. She could see Azumi sewing something out of the clothes that Ikuko had gifted them, though she wouldn’t say what it was she was using them for. And of course, outside, it was a peaceful, summer day; the cicadas were chirping, and a gentle breeze was blowing in the treetops. It was, simply put, ordinary. The kind of day you’d forget at first, but look back on fondly as you got older. Certainly, it was more peaceful than Hatsukaichi during the festival that was supposed to happen today.
   “Say, when are you supposed to be leaving?” Azumi asked her, though her gaze was still fixed on her needlework. “Y’know, for your appointment?”
   “Oh, that’s… About ten?” Yuna replied, placing the broom on the floor before grabbing a dustpan. “I don’t need help getting over there, if that’s why you’re asking.”
   “That’s fine.” Azumi smiled, though Yuna likely didn’t catch a glimpse of it. “I’m just glad to see you’re doing alright.”

That was the first time she’d heard her say that since the accident. Back then, she’d blamed her, but this was… something different. And once again, someone was telling her they were glad about something. But this time, in a way, she could at least share the sentiment. It was something to be glad about, she supposed, even if the circumstances were not.
   “Come to think of it, isn’t today your hometown’s festival?” Azumi asked. “Yeah. I was gonna go home on the second, but I couldn’t get an appointment until today.”
   “You’re not going to make it in time.” Azumi said, seemingly finding a way to rain on her parade even now. “Besides, the doctors are all very busy, especially after last week, and of course, you’ll probably just get a referral to a hospital in the city. And that’s before we get to how hard it is just getting a train ticket these days.”

Perhaps she was right. If it had been easier for Ikuko to get here in the back of an army truck, then what hope did she have of getting a ticket? But getting a referral wasn’t really an issue to her; as it happened, that was the plan seeing as she was going to be in Hatsukaichi for a long time by the look of things. Still, it was disheartening that she wouldn’t be attending the festival, which had celebrated the start of the harvest season in the region since forever. She remembered how she’d often help out her grandparents, her aunts and uncles, and the families of her friends with preparations in those olden days, now gone. But her thoughts were soon interrupted when she heard something land next to her; the clothing which her sister had brought her, taken apart and fashioned into something new.
   “I went ahead and turned the clothes your sister brought into a pair of trousers.” Azumi said, taking a seat next to her. “I sewed an elastic band in so you could put them on yourself.”
   “Oh, thank you.” Yuna said quietly as she looked down at them. Somehow, they’d managed to go from looking like a bundle of rags into something that looked almost brand new. A testament to her sister-in-law’s skill with a needle, she thought.
   “Yuna… I’d like to apologize for, you know… blaming you for Kahori’s death.” Azumi said after a moment.
   “It’s no problem.” Yuna responded; she’d come to internalize it to an extent, but she understood that what had been said was born from grief rather than any anger towards her. She’d been desperate to get her daughter back, even if it were impossible, and frankly, that was something they’d shared.
   “Yuna, listen. The man I loved died at sea, long before his time. His family’s shop—our home—was torn down in the pruning last year...” She hesitated for a moment. “...And now, I can’t see either of my children for a whole host of reasons. Is all of that unfair? Yes. Sad? Yes. But I wouldn’t dare say I’m unhappy, seeing—”she continued. “—as this is the life I chose for myself, after all.” She added, looking at Yuna for a moment. “You’re different, Yuna. You came so far, moved into a distant and unfamiliar home to marry someone you didn’t know. You always did what you were asked, always carried yourself with a smile. It must’ve been hard.” Azumi said, taking her hand. “I suppose the point I’m trying to make is that you want to leave, that’s up to you. But so long as you don’t hate it here, you’ll always have a home here, Yuna.”

Yuna was silent as she spoke; in a way, Azumi was correct, though not entirely. Everyone chose the path they took in life, to some degree, and she’d agreed to get married, to come here, a city she didn’t know. But even so, she hadn’t chosen to lose her hand, to see Kahori die before her eyes. She didn’t choose to live in a city which was now merely a pile of ash amid ruins. And it was sad, all of it, but that was just life dealing her a bad hand. Not like she could go back now.
   “Don’t worry about what everyone will say. That choice is yours, and yours alone.” Azumi said. “But just so you know, doing chores and helping you when you need it isn’t a problem for me. In fact, I like doing it. And besides, it’ll help me keep my mind off… You know.”

And in that moment, at 8:15 according to the clock, there was a bright flash which filled every nook and cranny of the house. Though they didn’t know it, it spread beyond the horizon, all-encompassing in that instant. It was like… Well, no, it was like nothing they’d ever seen before. Whatever it was, it was gone as quickly as it came, and it had left Yuna and Azumi confused. And evidently, not just them.
   “Azumi, Yuna, did either of you see that flash?” Natsumi called out to the two of them.
   “Yeah, we both did!” Azumi answered before saying “Was it lightning, maybe? But it’s such a nice day out…”
   “I… I changed my mind.” Yuna said after a moment. “Do you… Do you mind if I stay, after all?” She asked, her voice almost fragile as she held onto Azumi’s arm.
   “Of course, of course. I said as much, didn’t I? Now please, let go, it’s already hot as it is.” Azumi replied, but she wouldn’t be trying to get her off, not a moment afterwards when the shaking began. In fact, it led to them holding one another tighter as the day just became stranger and stranger. It felt as though it were an earthquake, but an earthquake didn’t usually follow a bright flash like what they saw. Some of the tiles fell off the roof, shattering as they hit the ground, and it felt as though the glass panes on the windows might break as well, but soon enough, at most ten seconds later, the tremors stopped, and everything returned to normal.8:18 AM

For nearly two minutes after the “earthquake” had hit the house, Azumi had been trying to get the family radio working, but to no avail. YOFK was silent, as were all of the other local stations, and any of the more distant ones like the station out of Toyono, a city about a hundred kilometers up the coast from them, were just as confused. But soon, they’d have their answer as to what had happened, at least in part. For from the yard, Daisuke, having just returned from work after spending the night on duty, called out to them.
   “Come out here, take a look at this!” He shouted, pointing out towards the mountains—towards Hatsukaichi—as everyone rushed outside. And before them, rapidly rising into the sky, a cloud like none they’d ever seen before. It looked almost as if it were a thundercloud, but something seemed off about it. It had a strange glint to it as it soared to greater and greater heights, and they all just stood there in awe and terror.

One thing was certain: the world would never be the same again.

Daitō:
Glow of the FirefliesHiroioki, Kyūre, Izumi Prefecture
August 9th, 1945
7:22 PM

In the twilight sky, under the sliver of the crescent moon, the fireflies danced as little lights in a shadow play, resplendent amidst the darkness and blissfully unaware of the new world now unleashed. It reminded Yuna of the first verse to a song every child these days knew, a song about the relentless pursuit of knowledge, of the parting of old friends, and of a desire so firmly held to defend one's home. Or at least, that's how she had interpreted it. Was that "pursuit of knowledge" what led to bombing of Hatsukaichi? It had been a few days since that cloud appeared over the city—four, to be exact—and even still, a deep sense of unease filled the hearts of man, as though it might not be the last one. If Hatsukaichi, a city which had largely gone untouched by the war until just a few days ago, could be attacked, then was there truly anywhere which was safe? A shiver ran down her spine as those thoughts came to mind.

"I guess you're gonna be stayin' here then, eh, Yuna?" Iwao asked in between swings of his shinai. His form was poor, but unfortunately for him, kendo was apparently a mandatory part of military life. It was a strange question to her; after all, she didn't know if her family, save perhaps her father, was still alive. Certainly, their home was gone, and her relatives in Furue, while probably okay, almost certainly couldn't be handling more people at this point. Few in this world would take someone like her in, anyways. Where else could she go, if she didn't want to stay here?
   "Yeah... I would like to, if that's alright." Yuna replied as he took another swing.
   "Y'know, I had a feeling you'd say that, but... You had me so worried." Iwao said before calling it a quits with his practice. "I don't suppose you've heard from anyone in your family, have you?"
   "No." Yuna answered as she looked at a leaflet—one which had been dropped by the Ardians earlier in the day—before crushing it into a ball. She knew she was supposed to turn them in whenever she found 'em, and to be fair to her, she was going to, but... It was getting late, and truth be told there were probably better uses for it. "Other than a phone call with dad, nothing." She said, tossing the paper aside. "Of course, I'd wanted to go with Mrs. Asayama and a few of the others into Hatsukaichi, help deliver supplies, but..."
   "She refused to let you go?"
   "Yep." Yuna replied. "Of course, at the moment, I thought that I was probably just a hinderance to her-" she said as she touched the back of her head, her hair freshly cut. "-hence why my hair looks this way."
   "You know she probably wouldn't let you go because you're still recovering, right?" Iwao opined, though he found himself bemused by how she had come to that conclusion.
   With a sigh, Yuna answered "...I realized that afterwards."

The two of them spent some time watching the fireflies, enjoying the view as well as each other's company. A few minutes, maybe five or six, of quiet in amidst the evening calm. But in these days, the war was ever-present, even if in moments such as this, it was easy to forget. The Umeki family had been torn apart by it, and both Yuna and Daisaku wore the scars left by it. Every day, there was news of fighting, of some great battle abroad, of cities bombed and people killed. Even with the bombing of Hatsukaichi in such an unprecedented fashion, little had changed, and soon enough, Iwao found himself bringing up some of what he'd heard.
   "I've heard they're getting ready to retake Toshima. Yakushima, too." He said, looking up to the moon. Yakushima, the island where her brother was believed to have been shot down near. Where the road to this hell which Fusan had been subjected to day in and day out had started. Where the Corvus and the Sanae had traded blows all those years ago. It was as though everything was coming full circle.
   "Will you-" Yuna tried to ask, anxious as to what it would mean for them, before being cut off.
   "No." Iwao answered, taking her hand tenderly into his own. "I'm not assigned to any ship nor any unit which'll be participating." He sighed, knowing that there were so many who weren't so lucky as he. "Instead, I'm to remain at my post here, as always."
   "I... I'm glad to hear that." Yuna admitted. She'd lost too much already, and the thought that she might not need to sacrifice her own life as had been spoken of was in some way comforting, too. In any case, it seemed, now more than ever, that they were well and truly in the final stages of the war. It was only a matter of seeing who would break first: Fusan or Ardia.

Daitō:
YamazakuraNikokyo, Kyūre, Izumi Prefecture
August 14th, 1945
5:18 PM

There were some sights which would linger in the hearts and minds of any who saw them. Lofty mountain peaks capped in snow, the great floating shrine at Miyajima, scorched cities where nothing would grow. Today, out before Yuna—before the family as a whole—was another of those sights. For parading through the streets in lock-step, the sons of a nation marched towards the port and on to an uncertain fate. It was an uncanny sight, such clean uniforms passing through bombed-out and burned-out streets. The sort of sight that would instill in any onlooker a sense of determination, of a will to fight on even to the end in defiance of their most reviled foe.

It wasn’t like the old days, back at the start of the war. Once, fresh-faced youths marched, eager to find glory in far-flung lands, now replaced with tired, hardened veterans and mere children knowing that they would be marching into hell. A few years ago, they might not have been able to hate the Ardian, but six years ago, the heart of Fusan had not been ripped asunder and set aflame. Six years ago, this wasn’t a war for survival. Yuna wondered, as they passed, what they were thinking; many, she understood, would never see home again. Those noble sons of the nation, ready to lay down their lives for everyone else… That was why she was here, why everyone was. Even if the streets were lined with rubble, it was only right to give them support in the only way they could: being there in this, the final moments before they departed.

There was a song whose lyrics rang within her head as they passed, the rhythmic beat of their footsteps echoing through the city. ”As blossoms in bloom are destined to fall, thus we shall fall nobly for our home.” It went, and perhaps it would ring true in the days and weeks to come. If they fell, as indeed many would, then it would be a noble sacrifice, one which would be honored across the land. And if they failed, then even in this wounded state which she found herself in, seeing such bravery on their part made her believe, at least in part, that she would be ready to do the same. Like the blossoms of the yamazakura, she would be ready to meet her fate—the fate of her nation—head on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version