Roleplay > Vignettes

Finding the Lost and Forgotten

(1/7) > >>

Achkaerin:
Finding the Lost and Forgotten

Meet Melanie Bell, the daughter of the late Count Johnathon Bell and budding young archaeologist. To all intents she's effectively the Countess of Elsion, just one problem Melanie would rather be out in the wilds of Mundus than in ballrooms making small talk. Having proven the truth of her father's controversial theories Melanie's set up on her own under the business name écho and now with a little help from some friends she goes in search of the answers to the greatest mysteries on Mundus.

Table of Contents

The Trident

The Old Master's Legacy
Ghost Ship
Salvage Rights
Puzzle As Old As Time

The Ark of the Covenant Adventure

Another Mystery
The Tomb
The Text
Saint Peter's Way
The Secret of Shatt al-Arab
Needle in a Haystack
The Village With No Name
Mind That Step
Mine Eyes Have Seen...
A Mystery Solved
Where It Belongs

The Samurai's Journey

A New Challenge
The Battlefield
The Mystery Samurai
The Skull
Who Are You?
The Outlander's Name

The Lost Island

Ulterior Motives
Second Opinions
Homecoming
Waypoints
And Now I See
The Glorious Mistake
The Misconception Theory
The Knights Tomb
The Results

Achkaerin:
The Old Master's Legacy

Melanie Bell

Meridian Island was always a nice peaceful place, historically it was probably also the most peaceful place in Achkaerin history, it was funny really wasn't it? When academic's talked of Achkaerin's six state period they talked of the city states as they had been then of Valtheim, Artaxia, Solaria, Valkyria, Dovah and Freshwater which was understandable with those being the major six players they never mentioned the city of Mossflower that historically ruled over Meridian Island and still held the seat of power for the island on behalf of the Crystal Throne to the present day. It was probably one of Melanie's favorite places and it wasn't that far distance wise from the city of Elsion where she lived to Meridian Island, she loved being on the island. Normally she'd find any excuse for a trip out there but today it was a little bit of business, she'd come across something in one of her late father's many journals that had intrigued her- an old map of Meridian Island with a small red circle drawn on it and some GPS coordinates scrawled next to the circle, there had also been a word Estelaar scrawled next to the coordinates, that wasn't really a word though it was a name, a legend from Achkaerinese mythology- the young knight and his chosen warriors, the so called Rowanoak Order, who'd fought for peace and justice in Achkaerin at the time. Legend's were that they'd each gone their own way and traveled across Mundus. There were stories of their gallantry, honor, chivalry and deeds in far off lands. To be honest Melanie had always thought them nothing more than fables, but she'd bet against her father before and lost so she wasn't foolish enough not to go and have a look.

The coordinates in question were a little off the beaten track so Melanie found herself in her cargo shorts and white sleeveless top trudging through the forest, the humidity didn't help much, it was uncharacteristic for the time of year, though maybe it was the last throws of the good weather before the storm season kicked in hard. Melanie brushed her hair from her eyes as she continued to follow the GPS, the steady beep guiding her through the brush and trees until finally the forest gave up its secret, what looked like a stone redoubt, overgrown with plants.
"That'll be it then." Melanie said

With her flashlight on Melanie stepped into the redoubt, carefully keeping half an eye on the stone ceiling, after all she had no idea how long this structure had been there or how stable it was, but at least it didn't seem like it was going to give way at this point. She continued to walk inside the stone corridors that had presumably once been lit by flaming torches were now illuminated by her flashlight. After a few more minutes of walking she entered a larger chamber and it took her breath away, there in the centre of the room there was a stone block with an engraving on the top, and around the foot of the block there was what appeared to be some sort of small gutter and drain carved into the stone floor. Don't tell me all the stories are true Melanie thought. She continued to shine her light around the room until it settled on a circular shield on the far wall that bore a crest, this was what Melanie knew was hypothesized to be the Rowanoak Crest, the emblem of these apparently not legendary knights. Melanie turned her light on another wall and found herself gasping again this wall bore seventeen names- thirteen men and four women.

Melanie had to stop for a moment and think, this was the unthinkable really there was no way that this should even be possible. But then again wasn't all history a myth until it was proved real? These knights had for years been figures used to teach morality, justice, peace and the like to children, to be frank most had put them in the same classification as Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny, but for them to now be real? Melanie composed herself and walked into the next room, this was clearly a blacksmith's workshop, the tools still looked in good order as did the forge there were even what looked like some ingots lying around the place, it was like a moment in history frozen in time.

Melanie walked back outside the redoubt, took her phone out and dialed her friend, and technically the closest thing she now had to a parent, Donna Steele she was Achkaerin's CETO representative.
"Melanie I'm giving a lecture in about five minutes." Donna said "This had better be good."
"I found Rowanoak Hall." Melanie said
"What?" Donna asked "Where?"
"About ten miles east of Mossflower in the middle of Meridian forest." Melanie said "Not quite in the same league as the lost city of Alaris..."
"Oh please this is pretty big." Donna said "Have you got a GPS?"
"Yep." Melanie said
"Text me the coordinates I'll be there with a load of student volunteers in a few hours." Donna said

Achkaerin:
Ghost Ship

Natasha Raines

Natasha had been the skipper of the Bell's research ship Star Chaser for three years- which in short was ever since it had been launched, she'd captained the vessel under first Lord Bell and now following his death she captained the vessel for Melanie, it was interesting to go from being an employee of her best friends father to an employee of her best friend, it was getting on towards eleven at night and Natasha was on her third or was it forth? It could even have been her fifth cup of coffee give it a couple of hours and she'd be going to bed, Melanie had come aboard earlier in the day she was taking a break from hunting the Knights of Rowanoak Hall to spend some time with Natasha they hadn't spent that much time together since Melanie's father had died so this was their best chance. Picking up a novel she'd been reading Natasha was about to settle down for another couple of hours when the sonar started beeping.

"Leon what the heck is that?" Natasha asked turning to one of the other four crew on the ship the others beside Leon being Lori (Leon's sister), Nicolas and Hugo. They were all estate kids having grown up on the grounds of the Bell estate in Elsion.
"Sonar's picking something up." Leon said
"I gathered that but what the heck is it?" Natasha asked
"I can't tell for certain but it's big." Leon said, Natasha went over and looked at the screen.
"My money's on shipwreck." Natasha said, this was the Gulf of Safraen after all and there were plenty of naval battles in that area to think about, she grabbed the radio off the table where she'd been a few seconds earlier "Hey Lori are any of the underwater robots ready?"
"I've got one ready why?" Lori asked
"I need you to launch it." Natasha said
"On my way." Lori said

A few minutes later Lori was up on the bridge with Leon and Natasha Lori was now driving a remote controlled underwater device that had a camera built into it, on one of the screens they saw the wreck of a ship come into view.
"She's 20th century." Natasha said, naval stuff was her area of expertise "Can you got a shot of the bow?"
"No problem." Lori said she shone the light on the bow "Hang on that plate there looks like a name plaque."
"Get tight on it." Natasha said, Lori nodded and shone the light on the name
"Can you make that out?" Lori asked
"RVS Trident" Natasha said her eyes widening "Oh no way."
"What is it?" Leon asked, Natasha grabbed the radio "Melanie if you're awake you might want to get up here."

Two minutes later Melanie was stepping onto the bridge
"What are we burning the midnight oil for?" Melanie asked
"We've just stumbled across the wreck of the RVS Trident" Natasha said
"You stumbled across the Demon of the seas?" Melanie asked
"Translation please." Leon said
"In World War Two the RVS Trident was a Valertinettian battleship that spent four years laying waste to Achkaerin's navy, it was credited with more kills than any other ship in the war. In 1944 though it was destroyed by the Achkaerinese destroyer INS Liberty under Captain Kayleigh Ayanami it got her the nickname 'Demon slayer'" Natasha said "What do you want to do Melanie?"

"Salvage rights Nat." Melanie said
"Make the call then." Natasha said

Achkaerin:
Salvage Rights

Melanie Bell

It was the big day, it had taken a lot of care and planning but they were finally going to do it, the RVS Trident the so called Demon of the Seas was going to be salvaged. The Star Chaser sat slightly off to the side of the operation there were professionals for this sort of thing and they were doing their jobs quite well, it was safe to say that Melanie was still surprised that they'd stumbled across the wreck of the ship, but it was something that helped her put her little venture out into the world. She was stood out on the Star Chaser's deck watching as the professionals went about their work.

"Excited?" Natasha asked coming out to join Melanie
"You have no idea." Melanie said
"You're tapping your right foot, that means you're struggling to contain yourself." Natasha said
"You know me too well." Melanie said
"Ms Bell" a radio clipped to Melanie's belt crackled into life "We're about ready if you'd like to give the word." Malenie picked up the radio
"Captain the word is given. Bring her up." Melanie said, over the next few minutes Melanie and Natasha watched as the Trident was brought up to the surface.

"She looks in remarkably good nick." Natasha said
"Fatal wound's to the stern." Melanie said pointing to what looked like a pretty major hole in the hull "But considering the battering she looks to have taken I'm amazed she's still mostly in one piece."
"You said it." Natasha said
"And I can't wait to get inside her." Melanie said
"What's your plan?" Natasha asked
"How long to the Festival of Sail?" Melanie asked, Natasha glanced at Melanie and noticed this wasn't a joke
"Ok so that's repairs and restoration" Natasha said "Do you know anyone?"
"I know someone in the restoration field, Verspasian Atreides, whether he'd do a ship I don't know." Melanie said "Guess I'll put in a call. But let's get a look at her on dry land while we can."

It was hours later that the Trident sat in dock, Melanie and her friends were having a quick look at the outside of her now she was out of the water.
"I'm seeing what I assume is machine gun fire, evidence of cannon fire, fire damage itself." Hugo said
"What's next Melanie?" Lori asked
"Go home, have a good night's sleep and come back tomorrow." Melanie said "Get inside her and take a look round, this is a ship full of stories let's see what we can find out."
"Fact finding before we do any work on her." Leon said "Sounds good to me."

Achkaerin:
Puzzle As Old As Time

Melanie Bell & Brian Raines

Tap...tap...tap., the chalk hit the blackboard the sound echoing through the half empty lecture theatre, it was the last lecture of the week which probably explained the absenteeism somewhat. It was also the run up to the Edelweiss Music Festival and there was plenty of excitement on campus about that. For Brian though this was just another last thing on Friday lecture that he was a little irritated about because the students hadn't turned up. He turned back to the blackboard, he did know how to use the modern technology but he was an old stuck in his ways kind of guy about teaching methods, so the university could have his blackboard but they'd have to pry it from his cold dead hands to get it.

"So as we can see from history, the great Empires of the past were built on slavery, they were also built on trade. Let's take the Ardian Empire, once it reached it's greatest extent it dominated the southern hemisphere trading scene, the East Ardian Trading Company ensured the Empire's continued prosperity which is why in the War of the Five Queen's Seonaid Ayanami fought mainly at sea, rather than pitched battles on land she for the most part elected for raids on Ardian port cities in a form of what could be called early guerrilla warfare. In making the company bleed she took the power away from the company and undermined the Empire. Ultimately it was only with the rise of the Rokkenjiman Navy that the Five Queen's were able to ultimately destroy the company. Some historians even claim this was the first step towards the Empire's end, others say the Rokkenjiman uprising the previous century and the Samurai uprising in the early seventeen hundreds bear most of the responsibility. You'll see on page two hundred of your textbooks a tactical overview of the Strait of Shaw battle that ended the Company as a significant trading force." Brian explained before glancing at his watch "Ok that's it for today off you go."

As the class departed, Brian collected together his notes as Melanie made her way over from her sixth row seat
"How's the redecorating of the Trident coming along?" Brian asked, he was Natasha's father, he was also probably the most father like figure in Melanie's life too.
"Pretty good." Melanie said
"Natasha tells me you're hoping to send it to the Festival of Sail?" Brian said
"The most read about ship from the second world war, you bet I want to send it there." Melanie said, she took out a dark green journal
"One of your father's?" Brian asked
"Yeah." Melanie said she opened the book "Recognize it?"

The Cradle lies where the eyes of mortals cannot see
where night and day, united with the earth, observe begins the path to enlightenment
the path that infinity and eternity carved in their struggle eons ago,
follow their gaze and take your first steps.

Do not stray to the Sun lest the earth swallow you whole and soul.
Instead let the faithful guide you through the valley of the virtuous chosen at rest,
and if the Goddess finds you worthy the way will be revealed to you.

Answer the challenges of Fire and Ice but remember life's rhythm if you wish to proceed and learn the truth that attaining the Cradles wealth permits.
But leave your burdens behind or you will succumb to the weight of the world and one must be as free as the birds to attain that which you seek.
Prove your worth, prove your virtue and you will see with clarity.

Brian read the words
"The Cradle riddle?" Brian asked "Etched on the Dragonstone and something that's bamboozled archaeologists for centuries."
"Until now." Melanie said she turned the journal's page and it displayed a map of Mundus with a nation circled - Tokulel
"He found it?" Brian asked
"I don't know." Melanie said with a sigh "It's not complete, all I know is that he had a decent theory to believe it was Tokulel."
"Well I guess I don't need to ask what you're doing with your summer holiday." Brian said "Once next weeks exams are out of the way."

Melanie hugged him, it wasn't like she needed his permission to go or anything but having it meant a lot to her, now she had to do her exams and then prepare for probably her greatest adventure to date.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version