Roleplay > Vignettes

Truth, Justice and Duty

(1/4) > >>

Achkaerin:
Truth, Justice and Duty

When something goes wrong, or wrong is done the truth must be sought and justice must be done, in the Achkaerinese military the search for truth and justice is the duty of the officers of the Judge Advocate General Corp, these are serving officers whose job it is to hold defendants to the standards set down not only by Achkaerinese law on the matter but where required international law such as the Fair Seas Concordat and the Uppsalla Convention. The team comprises many surprises from the Admiral, or JAG himself, who mentored the Emperor to the lawyers who come with their own issues and pressures right down to the newest recruit the Crown Princess in her naval career as she seeks to balance her duty to country with her family life. These are the stories of this group of elite lawyers as they seek to uncover the truth about various happenings.

Table of Contents

My First Day
The New Yeoman
Foolishness and that Woman
Many Challenges
What We've Been Waiting For
Doing What We Don't Like

People v Nekhtou Pt 1
People v Nekthou Pt 2
People v Nekthou Pt 3
People v Nekthou Pt 4
People v Nekthou Pt 5
People v Nekthou Pt 6
People v Nekthou Pt 7
People v Nekthou Pt 8
People v Nekthou Pt 9

Laying it to Rest

Achkaerin:
My First Day

Just another day in Avalon at the headquarters of JAG, Lieutenant junior grade Ariel Lightfoot was giving a tour of the building to the students of Cherry Lane High School, it was careers season in the school system which meant that it was prime time for military recruitment.
"Boys and girls welcome to the headquarters of the Judge Advocate General Corp." Ariel said "We've got office space, archives, a library, holding cells, conference rooms, court rooms and space for the Convention Advisory Committee to meet spread across the floors of the building. We are the people whose job it is to do something when the rules governing the military are broken, this extends not just to the Achkaerin Codex of Military Conduct but also to the Uppsalla Convention and Fair Seas Concordat. As some of you may be aware the most famous case tried here was the trial of those responsible for the Andean Genocide."

Ariel led the group up to the third floor of the building and into an open room with offices around the perimeter
"And this is?" one of the boys asked
"This is what in law enforcement would be called the bullpen." Ariel said "The office staff and researchers work at their desks here while the lawyers on the staff have their offices nearby, officially this is our operations centre." she led them over to a closed oaken door that unlike the other offices connected to the room didn't have windows into the ops centre "This is the office of the boss around here Admiral Rankin, he's just finishing up a meeting after which we're going to be able to have a little chat with him."

Inside the office Admiral William Rankin sat behind his desk standing on the other side of the desk was in her naval uniform Serenity Azurewind, the Crown Princess of Achkaerin,
"I had the honour of serving with your Father Lieutenant." William said using Serenity's rank to address her "I never imagined that I'd have the honour of serving alongside his daughter as well. Though after the Andean Genocide Trial I did wonder if you'd change your career path."
"I won't deny part of me enjoyed tearing into Charles Ofdensen sir." Serenity said
"Good." William said "You blew that case apart and they've even made a film about it. You've got a sharp mind and a lot of sense. You know your duties?"
"Investigations and court cases sir." Serenity said
"Correct." William said, there was a knock at the door "Enter." someone else entered the office "We work in pairs Lieutenant, I believe you known Ensign Brightwall?" Serenity turned and smiled standing there was Charlene Brightwall
"Yes she pulled my six year old daughter out of the Strait of Shaw a few months ago." Serenity said
"I'm assigning the two of you to work together." William said "That doesn't mean however that you will always be working together, I make the assignment decisions in this office clear?"
"Yes sir." Serenity and Charlene answered in unison
"Good." William said "I've got to answer the questions of some school children now so you're dismissed."

Serenity and Charlene walked out of the office and into the office that had Serenity's name on the door, Charlene's was right next door.
"How's Lisa doing?" Charlene asked
"She's doing great." Serenity said "She starts at Primary School next week. I've got to say you're the last person I expected to run into here."
"I could say the same of you." Charlene said
"Have you got your digs sorted yet?" Serenity asked
"Bit of a screwup there." Charlene said "They thought I started next week."
"Call them and tell them you don't need it." Serenity said "I'll put you up."
"You sure about that?" Charlene asked
"It's the Avalon Estate it's got enough room, plus we can work on our studies together, you can see Lisa." Serenity said
"Sold." Charlene said

Achkaerin:
The New Yeoman

Deep breaths...just deep breaths and smile. the words ran through the head of Petty Officer Trinity Larsen as she stood in the lift heading up to the operations centre of JAG HQ. She'd expected to be assigned to a ship or overseas base on her first duty after graduating from the academy but this was far from what she'd expected, she'd been assigned as the yeoman, effectively secretary, to an Admiral and not just any Admiral at that. The lift doors opened and she stepped out into what was an unfamiliar, fast paced environment. Unsure of what to do she found herself simply standing there, whether she was acting like a little lost lamb or a rabbit in headlights she wasn't sure.
"Excuse me Petty Officer." a man said "Can I help you?" the man who'd spoken was Lieutenant Gary Newton
"Er..." Trinity said
"What are you doing here?" Gary asked, Trinity handed over her orders on a piece of paper "So you're the Admiral's new Yeoman, ok come with me."
"Is it always this busy?" Trinity asked
"We're lawyers Petty Officer" Gary said "If we're not busy we're not doing our jobs right." they walked past an empty desk just outside the door to the Admiral's office "This will be your desk."
"Thank you sir." Trinity said she placed her bags underneath the desk
"Are you ready to meet the Admiral?" Gary asked
"I guess." Trinity said, Gary knocked on the door
"Enter!" came the voice from within.

The pair stepped in to the office to find Admiral William Rankin pacing around the office reading a document
"Yes Lieutenant?" the Admiral asked upon seeing Gary.
"Admiral this is Petty Officer Larsen." Gary said "She's your new Yeoman sir."
"Good to meet you Petty Officer." William said "What's your first name?"
"Trinity sir." Trinity said
"Interesting name." William said "This your first assignment?"
"Yes sir." Trinity said
"Parents proud of you?" William asked
"Wouldn't know sir, my parents died when I was a baby." Trinity said, William stopped and sighed
"I'm sorry, that was thoughtless." William said
"It's not the first time someone's said that sort of thing to me sir." Trinity said "No reason why you should know."
"Are you familiar with your duties?" William asked
"No sir." Trinity said, it was the standard response though she had a vague idea of what they would entail.
"Organizing my schedule, trips, being a sounding board for me, I may ask your opinion from time to time which I hope you will give frankly, there will also be some general administrative duties." William said
"Understood sir." Trinity said

There was another knock at the door.
"Come in Commander." William said "Petty Officer Trinity Larsen meet Commander Andrew Conway. He's one of our lawyers. The Petty Officer is my new Yeoman."
"I see sir." Andrew said "You wanted to see me sir?"
"Yes it's about the fitness tracker issue..." William said
"Lexi's going through Field Marshall Dawson's declaration now making sure it's a legally sound order sir." Andrew said
"Frightening thing." Trinity said "I've got one of those. Not used it since the news broke."
"True enough." William said "Commander I wanted to see you because the Emperor has called a meeting of the intelligence agencies, military and cabinet. He's also requested that we provide a representative at this meeting. As you and Lexi have been heading this up, I think you should attend."
"What does the Emperor want a JAG there for sir?" Andrew asked
"I think you know Commander." William said "Potential liability of the company under existing law."
"I see sir." Andrew said
"Dismissed." William said

Andrew left the office and William turned back to Gary and Trinity
"One of those days sir?" Gary asked
"One of those weeks I fear. Those fitness trackers have just thrown up a potential case in the same ballpark as the Andean Genocide." William said he sighed, rubbing his forehead "Anyway Petty Officer you'll find Sergeant Major Rivera out in the bullpen he'll give you a tour of the building, get you familiar with everything and get you set up."
"Aye sir." Trinity said
"And Petty Officer." William said extending his hand "Welcome to JAG."
"Thank you sir." Trinity said shaking it.

Achkaerin:
Foolishness and That Woman

The place hadn't been this hectic for months and now within the space of five minutes it had gone from normal, average just another day at the office to looking like a warzone. What had caused this?The latest Imperial Decree, so here Serenity was going through documents as was her colleague partner Ensign Charlene Brightwall and every other available attorney.

"Here it is." Charlene said handing Serenity a piece of paper "Statement by Beatrice Anselmo the night before the defence opened its case."
"And I've got the original from weeks earlier that was given to Commander Conway." Serenity said "Damn that woman, I gave her a chance to come clean and she keeps this from us? Does she not know the implications and consequences of that?"
"Slam dunk?" Charlene asked
"Yep." Serenity said
"Excuse me." Petty Officer Trinity Larsen said coming to the office door "The Admiral wants to see you Lieutenant."
"On my way." Serenity said "Charlene I have a feeling this is going to be a long day, can you pick Lisa and Astrid up?"
"Of course." Charlene said
"We still on for game night though?" Trinity asked, this was a little tradition the three of them had got into for fun - basically one night a week they got together at the Avalon Estate
"You bet." Serenity said "Beatrice Anselmo isn't worth cancelling game night for, especially when it's this open and shut."

Serenity walked through the bullpen from her office to the Admiral's office upon entering she saw that the JAG Admiral William Rankin was sat behind his desk, in front of the desk stood the two lead counsels from the Andean Genocide Trial for the defence Commander Andrew Conway and for the prosecution Lieutenant Nell Foster, lastly there was another woman stood behind the Admiral's desk this was Major Kaitlin Parker, the Achkaerinese representative to the Convention Advisory Committee of the Uppsalla Convention.

"How bad is it Lieutenant Azurewind?" William asked
"If she were an officer in the Achkaerinese military sir we'd be able to have her for a straight up violation of article 131." Serenity said "There's no doubt that's what has happened."
"Did anyone know we were being lied to?" William asked
"No sir." Andrew said "All the statements from Beatrice Anselmo indicate across the board that she was in contact with Barren. It's a slam dunk."
"Lieutenant Foster." Kaitlin said "Given that this is a slam dunk, from where you stand what does this mean?"
"It depends how removing the erroneous material affects the case, if it proves material then I will seek an appeal in regards to her." Nell said
"Understood." William said "Your Highness."
"Yes sir?" Serenity asked, the change in title signified this was now an address in regards to the politics not the law
"Do you know what I have to ask?" William asked
"Yes sir I do." Serenity said "And you don't have to ask I will see to it."
"Very well." William said "Dismissed."

The officers left the office leaving just William and Kaitlin inside, once outside Serenity headed straight into the corridor she took out her phone and dialled a number
"Georgia." Serenity said "We need to talk."

Achkaerin:
Many Challenges

It was just another day at JAG, or at least it had started that way for Admiral William Rankin - the Achkaerin Armed Forces Judge Advocate General, he sat behind his desk filling in the forms, it seemed that to him that he spent most of his time these days as a pencil pusher rather than as a lawyer. Not that there was much lawyering for him to do, his staff were all top notch and more than capable of handling whatever came their way, no these days he was more a mentor and guide for them than out on the legal front lines. He sighed removing his glasses and looking at the pile of case files that sat on his desk away from the paperwork he was doing, how he'd love to have one of those to look forward to but the duty of his position was more administrative than that. He looked up as there was a knock on his door.

"Enter." William said, the door opened and in walked his yeoman Petty Officer Trinity Larsen, she smartly walked up to the Admiral's desk.
"You asked to see me Admiral?" Trinity asked
"Yes Trinity I did." William said, the entire staff tended to operate on first name terms but obviously not when addressing William hence why Trinity had addressed him by rank "I see you've got a few days leave coming up."
"Yes Admiral." Trinity asked
"Any plans?" William asked
"What is it you would like me to do sir?" Trinity asked, William looked up and saw the wry smile on Trinity's face
"How did you know?" William said
"I've been your yeoman for a while now sir, I've learned how to read you a little sir you wouldn't ask me if I had any plans unless you wanted something." Trinity said
"True enough." William said "My ex wife is going out of the country on business which means that I have to look after my daughter, she's a very wilful thirteen years old."
"I'm not much older than that sir." Trinity said
"Keep an eye on her during the day time ok?" William asked
"Ok sir." Trinity said she glanced at the clock "Admiral it's time for the briefing."
"Thanks for the reminder." William said

William made his way down to the meeting room where sat around a conference table were all his staff, Trinity followed William in and once both had taken their seats William sorted through the case files that needed assigning it was the routine morning meeting the staff engaging in banter while the Admiral made his choices before silence fell.
"Ok then." William said "Item number one the Phuebra military assignment." it was probably the most sought after assignment in the office as it involved setting up and executing an education program for Phuebran military personnel on the Uppsala Convention and the Fair Seas Concordat "Major Dawes this one's yours." he handed the file to Major Caroline Dawes
"Thank you sir." Caroline said
"I want you to take Lieutenants Newton and Asa with you." William said "You're wheels up in six hours."
"Understood." Caroline said

"Item number two is this legal challenge to the Celtic Protectorate being brought." William said
"Sir that's not strictly anything to do with us in the legal sense right?" Commander Andrew Conway said
"You can't have the reputation for being the Mundus legal eagle and not take note of alleged treaty violations especially when they could end up in court." William said slowly making sure the point was well made "Which is why Commander you and Lt Commander McCarty will travel to Royal Seleucid just don't travel in uniform to avoid spooking the locals, we'll find a way to arrange a meeting with Mr Begahi so you can hear his side of this. Meanwhile Lt Foster and Ensign Morgan I want you to independently take a look around the Celtic Protectorate cross reference the allegations Begahi makes against your observations and see whether he has a case or whether this is something else entirely."
"Yes sir." Nell Foster said

The meeting continued for a few more minutes with other cases being assigned until William finally dismissed the staff as they left in walked Serenity Azurewind, she was wearing civilian attire and smiled at each of the staff as they left the room.
"Lieutenant Azurewind." William said
"Admiral." Serenity said
"You've had the information concerning your review board hearing?" William asked
"Yes sir it's in two weeks time." Serenity said
"You understand that despite your recovery they may rule that you be discharged from the Navy?" William asked
"I do sir." Serenity said
"It goes without saying Lieutenant that everyone in this office is prepared to testify for you in that hearing." William said "Have you got legal representation?"
"Yes sir." Serenity said
"Good." William said "Dismissed."
"Sir." Serenity said
"And Lieutenant." William said "The next time I see you in this building you'd better be in uniform."
"Aye aye sir." Serenity said leaving the room with a smile on her face.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version