Roleplay > Vignettes

Truth, Justice and Duty

<< < (2/4) > >>

Achkaerin:
What We've Been Waiting For

Admiral William Rankin sat behind his desk, it had already been a long day for him and it was only 1100 hours, what had made his day longer? Well East Moreland had gone and played at SeaTowers and then the fallout from that had happened. It made for a somewhat sticky situation in the Avalon neighbourhood because literally just across the road from the building where William and his elite team of military lawyers worked sat the Uppsalla Convention Court, a reminder that their duty lay with the truth and nothing else. There was knock on his door, he knew who this had to be after all it was one of only two arranged appointments for the day.

"Enter." William said, the door opened and in walked Lieutenant Nell Foster, she looked almost as worn out as William did but she hadn't been at work for hours "Burning the candle at both ends Nell?"
"No sir just I couldn't sleep last night." Nell said
"You're worried about what might or might not be in here." William said picking up a black leather bound file from his desk "Advance copy of Major Kirby's findings and recommendations on the Anausa. Goes back years all the way to Beatrice Anselmo's reclaiming of the throne following the second Patriotic War. There's sixteen years worth of evidence in here."
"No wonder it took Major Kirby nearly two years to go through it all." Nell said
"We all know what this case means to you." William said he handed Nell the file
"Either this confirms that Beatrice Anselmo lied in sworn statements and that she told the truth in the 2018 Imperial Address or it finds that she lied in the Imperial Address in 2018 and told us the truth." Nell said "I'm not sure I really want to know which it is sir."
"You prosecuted the Andean Genocide case." William said "And you did a damn fine job of it, seven of the nine in Coral Rift and Alexander Anselmo got a years community service."
"But then we come to it." Nell said "Beatrice Anselmo acquitted at trial and if this report says one thing then..."
"Then you do what you have to do." William said "If that report shows that what Beatrice said in the 2018 Imperial Address is true then you go and do what you have to. I'm not going to tell you not to."
"Sir." Nell said
"Go get reading." William said

Nell left the office and was mere seconds later replaced by Major Kaitlin Parker, Kaitlin was the Achkaerinese member of the Convention Advisory Committee to the Uppsalla Convention.

"We need to talk about SeaTowers." Kaitlin said
"I know." William said "What's the line?"
"That the CAC takes all accusations of Uppsalla Convention breaches seriously regardless of origin." Kaitlin said
"If the Dartfordian authorities agree I can order an investigation into the incident and you can assess the findings to determine if there's grounds for prosecution." William said
"Diplomatic Office got their permission a couple of hours ago."[1] Kaitlin said handing over a signed letter which William read and then buzzed the intercom.
"Trinity could you come in here for a moment." William said, a couple of seconds later his yeoman Petty Officer Trinity Larsen stepped into the office.
"Sir?" Trinity asked
"Go and grab Commander Conway and Lt Commander Yuki for me, drag them in here if necessary." William said
"Yes sir." Trinity said

"How's she working out?" Kaitlin asked while Trinity went off to grab the two officers William had asked for.
"Well she's survived longer than my last five yeomen combined." William said, which got a smile from Kaitlin then Trinity returned with Commander Andrew Conway and Lt Commander Amara Yuki just behind her.
"You asked to see us Admiral?" Andrew asked
"You're aware of the SeaTowers raid that East Moreland pulled off recently and the subsequent accusations made by the Borland Separatists?" William asked
"Yes sir." Amara said
"Yes sir." Andrew said
"Well regardless of what we think of Kyle Barren and his cohorts we take all accusations of Uppsalla Convention breaches very seriously." Kaitlin said "A short time ago the Dartfordian Government agreed to allow us access to SeaTowers for the purposes of investigating the claims made. You're on a flight down to the Kyne where you'll base yourselves aboard the INS Valiant for the duration of the investigation. You'll also need to review the other evidence, once you're down there you're staying there until you've got a recommendation so make sure you take a couple of experts with you."
"Your flight leaves in three hours dismissed." William said.  1. OOC - Agreed with CGJ

Achkaerin:
Doing What We Don't Like

There was a rather odd atmosphere around the JAG HQ, the publication of the Kirby Report had been highly anticipated and even though some of them had seen an advance copy and known what was coming there had still been a lingering hope that it would be different, kind of like hoping that the ending of a book you'd read a hundred times would change when read for the hundred and first time. However it wasn't to be and now with the sombre atmosphere taking root, the time to do what duty required had arrived. The slight squeak of an office door opening had heads turning, it wasn't the noise that did that it was the knowledge of what that particular office door opening heralded, with footsteps that penetrated the pin drop silence Lieutenant Nell Foster emerged from the office wearing her uniform and naval overcoat, in her hand was perhaps the most significant piece of paper in the office for close to three years all tied with a cerulean blue ribbon so there was no mistaking what it was, even Nell herself had wondered whether she'd actually do this, but despite any of her own personal feelings on the matter this was a professional decision this was her duty and the nature of duty was that you didn't always get to do what you liked. No sometimes you had to do what you didn't like.

Nell wasn't going very far, it was a short trip down the stairs of the HQ and then out into the fresh air and across the road to the Uppsalla Court building, she approached the clerk desk.
"Lt Foster Achkaerinese JAG Office with an Appeal Submission for the Court." Nell said "It's an urgent matter."
"Case?" the clerk asked
"Andean Genocide." Nell said "I'll wait." the Clerk nodded and headed down the corridor to find a Judge to evaluate the merits of the submission.

Meanwhile at the Avalon Estate, the day was also getting started, in her bedroom Serenity Azurewind, the Achkaerinese Crown Princess, sat on her bed having just listened to the Kirby report live on television like her father, like some at work and like a fair few politicians she'd known what was coming but to hear it was to make it reality. But there was something else, a fury in her eyes, it wasn't the first time it had been there for three years there had been a fair amount of animosity between Serenity and the now former Empress of Rokkenjima Beatrice all stemming from the very events that were now rearing their head again, it annoyed Serenity that this was a needless situation had Beatrice's speech writers thought bigger picture in 2018 when preparing the Imperial Address this would have been wholly avoidable but what cut deeper, as evidenced by the fact that she'd just tossed her mobile phone onto her pillow, was that Beatrice's pride had got in the way - Serenity had said for a long time that Beatrice was stubborn to the point of foolishness, funny thing was the Crown Princess had always held out hope she'd be proven wrong, unfortunately in the end that wasn't the case.

"You ok?" someone asked, Serenity looked up to see Yuki Tyler leaning against the door frame.
"Why?" Serenity asked "Why didn't she just say it three years ago? Why didn't anyone say it three years ago? All she had to do was say 'I've got Parkinsons' and immediately that's a game changer, Commander Conway could have argued much more strongly, with a different strategy and we wouldn't have a world where she has a perjury conviction or a criminal record. Why didn't she say anything?"
"Feel better?" Yuki asked sitting down on the bed next to Serenity
"What are you doing here?" Serenity asked, momentarily halting her rant
"I had some leave due and with the Kirby report coming out your Dad asked me to come see you." Yuki said "Charlene let me in."
"I see." Serenity said
"As for why Beatrice never said anything." Yuki said "Consider Peter and his Multiple Sclerosis, what's prompted him to prepare to go public quickly?"
"He trusts the Achkaerinese people." Serenity said "Beatrice never really trusted anyone."

"Can you blame her?" Yuki asked "Parents missing, brought up by your father who did his best to raise her as if she were his own, ascended the Rokkenjiman throne but weaker than she'd ever admit, leads Rokkenjima to essentially the pinnacle of the international community." she put a hand around Serenity's shoulder "But when the world changed she didn't adapt, not because she didn't recognize Rokkenjima needed to adapt but because her own personality prevented her from adapting, contrast her to Evanthe a woman more sure of herself and with a lot more capability in the diplomatic field, Evanthe doesn't need much in the way of assistance from the outside Beatrice always needed a Moriarty figure, she was in truth the ideal fit for a Mundus where there was a bad guy but when there isn't one? Don't take it personally someone with her background, her personality is never going to trust easily, she was like that even growing up in Gowu, it took a long time before she'd say more than a couple of broken sentences to me or Simon or Daniele. And then of course what happened when she let people in? Two of her closest friends betrayed her trust and your surprised she doesn't trust anyone anymore? Get the heck over it."

"I don't know what to do about this." Serenity said, head in her hands, "I really don't."
"I do." Yuki said "You said once that Ofdensen didn't get to win. Are you really going to let him win at the last?"
"Hell no." Serenity said
"Then figure out a way to deal with this situation in a way that sees justice done but is fair." Yuki said nudging Serenity
"When did you get so wise?" Serenity asked
"Listening to your father helps a lot." Yuki said, Serenity laughed and wiped away a few tears "Get yourself dressed and do what you gotta do, I'll grab the girls."
"I owe you." Serenity said

An hour later Serenity was stood outside the Uppsalla Court building, in her naval uniform and overcoat, the doors opened and Nell stepped out.
"They granted it?" Serenity asked
"Yes." Nell said "You defending?"
"That's what the Admiral says." Serenity said "You're prosecuting I assume?"
"If your father can get this in place yes." Nell said
"We should talk." Serenity said
"You want a deal?" Nell asked raising an eyebrow "That's not like you."
"This isn't about me." Serenity said "So?"
"Let's get some coffee and talk." Nell said

Achkaerin:
People v Nekhtou Pt 1

The word 'stressed' wasn't a word that Serenity would normally use to describe herself, not much got to her, but she'd had a rollercoaster of a few months everything from losing her husband to being handed a sensitive case to defend and then there was today. She was proud to serve in the Achkaerinese navy but she had never imagined such service would become her place of order, her safe space. She was walking through the newly opened JAG HQ in Valtheim, the new 'international legal centre' a location many years in the making, the Uppsalla Court, the CSCJ, JAG all in the same spot and they were far from finished. Serenity had been planning to unpack her things in her office but a phone call had put pay to that and now she was stepping inside the office of her boss Admiral William Rankin, the Admiral was sat behind his desk, also in the room was Commander Patrick Sterling.

"You asked to see me sir?" Serenity asked
"Yes the Nekhtou case has come up, the investigative phase is over." William said he handed both Serenity and Patrick a file each "Lieutenant Azurewind you'll review the findings and decide whether a prosecution is warranted. Commander Sterling in the event of charges being filed you'll defend."
"Where is Nekhtou right now?" Patrick asked
"Detention at Redwall military prison pending trial." William said "Questions?"
"No sir." Serenity and Patrick both said
"Dismissed." William said

Serenity and Patrick made their way out of the Admirals office, Patrick looked across at Serenity.
"How long until I can expect to see charges?" Patrick asked
"I need to read through everything and see what they found." Serenity said "Possibly later today."
"I'm going to go and see Nekhtou this afternoon." Patrick said
"I'll come with you if I have the charges ready." Serenity said
"Ok." Patrick said

Serenity made her way to her office and found Charlene Brightwall unpacking some of the box's in there, Serenity let Charlene have a desk in her office it just made things easier when they generally worked as a team.
"Beatrice Anselmo or Nekhtou?" Charlene asked when she saw the file in Serenity's hand
"Nekhtou." Serenity said "I'm prosecuting, you want second chair?"
"Always." Charlene said
"Ok then let's figure out what we're going to charge the man with." Serenity said

A few hours later Serenity and Patrick were walking into the visitor room at Redwall military prison there were two guards in the room and in the prison uniform sat between where the two guards stood was Nekhtou.
"Mr Nekhtou I'm Commander Sterling. I've been assigned as your legal representative for your upcoming trial." Patrick said "Lieutenant Azurewind will prosecute."
"The Crown Princess herself I'm honoured." Nekhtou said
"Sorry I can't say the same." Serenity said "Mr Nekhtou it is my duty to inform you that you are charged with the following offences: Breach of article 2.4 of the Uppsalla Convention by route of article 3.1 in relation to the Apne mosque attack and other atrocities of civilian deaths during the Clysperi Civil War. Breach of article 8.8 and by association 8.2 as well as breaches of articles 8.7 and 8.6 of the Uppsalla Convention in relation to the conduct of forces under your command in the Clysperi Civil War. Breach of article 2.9 of the Uppsalla Convention by route of article 3.1 and breach of article 3.4 in relation to the actions of forces under your command in the Clysperi Civil War."
"That's a long list." Nekhtou said "Sure I did all that?"
"Positive." Serenity said "See you in court."

Patrick followed Serenity out of the room a moment later.
"You're creative." Patrick said "Covering all the bases?"
"That's the plan." Serenity said

Achkaerin:
People v Nekhtou Pt 2

Most laypeople would in respect of the legal profession and its respective processes could be forgiven for believing that all the work was done in the trial setting under the microscope of witness testimony and the cut and thrust of cross examination. The reality however was far different quite a lot of the running was done well before plea's were entered, opening statements made and all that there were pre-trial hearings and meetings where things were defined and to some extent the rules of engagement were set so to speak. Although these were formal hearings in the sense that they pertained to a case they were usually heard informally sometimes in the judges chambers sometimes in a courtroom, in the instance of the Nekhtou case it was the courtroom where the hearing was held. Commander Melanie Armitage of the Achkaerinese Navy was leaning against the front of the wooden 'bench' that she usually sat behind she had two men with her both in military uniforms from different nations. Also present were the two legal teams for the defence Commander Patrick Sterling, for the prosecution Lieutenant Serenity Azurewind.

"Ok let's get started." Melanie said "As per the Uppsala Convention you've drawn myself, Lt Colonel McCleod from Seaforth and Major Aquila from Aquitaine. Do you wish to challenge Lieutenant?"
"No Your Honour." Serenity said
"Commander?" Melanie asked
"No Your Honour." Patrick said
"Very well." Melanie said "Lieutenant Azurewind how do you wish to define the accused within the Uppsala Convention?"
"Article three as commander of a militia group." Serenity said
"You will evidence that the so called Confederacy of Clysperis meets that definition?" Aquila asked
"Yes sir I will." Serenity said "There is one other thing."
"Go ahead." Melanie said
"I'm instructed under the Convention's provisions to seek the maximum penalty under Clysperi law for Nekhtou's crimes." Serenity said "I'm instructed to seek the death penalty."

"There hasn't been a capital case in Achkaerin for over a century." Patrick said "I know this is under an international convention but are you sure?"
"I'm sure." Serenity said "I'd have to give notice regardless of the nation in question, I may not be a fan of it but that's the penalty in Clysperis."
"Very well then." Melanie said "Commander Sterling are you fighting this or pleading?"
"With the death penalty on the table I'm fighting it." Patrick said, he would have liked to have pled this one out and kept it away from a trial but if the penalty was going to be Nekhtou's life then he was dead if he did that.
"Trial's in three days." Melanie said

Achkaerin:
People v Nekthou Pt 3

There hadn't been a case this high profile in this court since the days of the Andean Genocide trial, but here it was the trial of the man who had harmed Clysperis. Nekthou sat resolutely in a seat next to his court appointed attorney Commander Patrick Sterling, normally he'd have had someone to sit second chair but not on this one. Stepping into the courtroom with their papers were the prosecution team Lieutenant Serenity Azurewind and Ensign Charlene Brightwall, they made their way to the wooden table across the aisle from where Patrick sat. There was the added edge that the sentence on the table, the sentence Serenity was instructed to seek was the death penalty - she didn't like it, she didn't believe in the death penalty but it was her job this time and she knew that there were cases where she wouldn't have complete latitude and this was one of those. She wasn't unaccustomed to the media presence in the courtroom either, it had been this way for the Andean Genocide trial, everyone stood as the three judges made their way in and took their seats, the seasoned figures of Lt Colonel McCleod of Seaforth and Major Aquilla of Aquitaine sandwiched the equally experienced Commander Melanie Armitage.

"Ladies and gentlemen." Melanie said as she shuffled her papers "We come to the trial of the People v Nekthou. The defendant is charged with the following offences: Breach of article 2.4 of the Uppsalla Convention by route of article 3.1 in relation to the Apne mosque attack and other atrocities of civilian deaths during the Clysperi Civil War. Breach of article 8.8 and by association 8.2 as well as breaches of articles 8.7 and 8.6 of the Uppsalla Convention in relation to the conduct of forces under your command in the Clysperi Civil War. Breach of article 2.9 of the Uppsalla Convention by route of article 3.1 and breach of article 3.4 in relation to the actions of forces under his command during the Clysperi Civil War. Mr Nekhtou how do you plead to the charges?" All eyes snapped to Nekhtou who was still on his feet.
"Not guilty." Nekhtou said
"So entered." Melanie said "Lieutenant Azurewind."

"Thank you Your Honour." Serenity said getting to her feet and stepping out from behind the table "The accused is a man who for several months actively sought to undermine the legitimate leadership of Clysperis that is vested in their Pharaoh. In the course of these efforts the accused orchestrated an attempt on the Pharoah's life and subsequently sparked a civil war in the country, during that civil war forces under his ultimate command carried out atrocities, vandalised religious buildings, executed civilians and looted the cultural heritage of Clysperis. He is a man who held, prior to his insurrection, the rank of General in the Clysperi military a man who took an oath to protect the people of Clysperis, to protect the land of Clysperis and to serve the legitimate leader of Clysperis - the person with the title of Pharaoh. An oath he betrayed multiple times. The prosecution will show that he orchestrated all of that which he is charged with and gives notice that it seeks the death penalty as afforded under Clysperi law and granted under the Uppsalla Convention."

As Serenity sat down there were a few murmurs around the room as Patrick stood up "Your Honour the defendant is a seasoned military officer, respected by his peers not only in Clysperis but internationally, he is the man who returned Clysperis to its rightful people and out of the Soviet grip. Like all military officers he took an oath to protect and serve the people and today he sits in a courtroom accused of crimes by the government that he swore to serve, the question is not do the charges have merit but rather why after years of faithful service did the defendant, a respected general with an otherwise unblemished service record, choose to go against the oath that he once swore, as a General he understands such an oath and the consequences associated with its violation, given the calibre of the defendant the suggestion that this was a choice made easily or for personal gain is inappropriate and that he much more sound intentions than what will be portrayed by the Prosecution."

"Your Honour." Serenity said rising as Patrick finished "May I have a moment to confer with defence counsel?" Melanie nodded and Serenity led Patrick over to a corner of the courtroom "The soapbox defence? really?" she asked in a hushed whisper "Your answer to the charges is to play on the sympathies of the court?"
"Take the death penalty off the table and we'll change the plea right now." Patrick replied
"You know I can't." Serenity said
"Then soapbox it is." Patrick said
"Fine." Serenity said

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version