Author Topic: Toward the Middle City  (Read 2142 times)

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
Toward the Middle City
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
Federal city of Midverslund

While Fannar and Gudmuntur had been invited at the party at Hotel Magnús, they had different plans. Their car left the central district, soon entering the Midvogur borough. The grey and small buildings of the neighborhood, including a few remaining stone constructions, contrasted with the modern central district. If it were a more gloomy day, probably the contrast could have been a bit depressing. Although it was raining, it was a rather a dull day.

"There is nothing to do there. I am glad the election is over, I couldn't stand another three weeks", Fannar said as soon as their taxi stopped in front of Dymkur Club.

They advanced through the dense smoke. As soon as one of the waiters recognized Gudmuntur, they were invited to the VIP zone, which was barely more than just a podium nearby one of the corners of the club.

"Now we have serious things to deal with", Gudmuntur said once the waitress left after bringing the two cocktails. "Let's hope there will not be surprises".

While they were talking, the alternate chill out and dark music was followed by silence. A young woman wearing unisex clothing approached the stage after her name was announced. She timidly started to play her acoustic guitar and to sing a rhythmic melody with a deep voice.

"Even if everything goes alright in Stykkaeyjar, I am concerned abou the situation in Tavík", Fannar said. "You should tell your brother that our future will depend if they take the city this year. I will cause use serious problems if they fail...Now let me go to the toilet".

A blue-haired woman approached the table. She had a small basket in one of ther hands. "What do you want, girl?", Gudmuntur asked.

"It is just twenty-five peningars", she said while leaving a homemade CD on the table.

"Alright", Gudmuntur gruntly replied. "You can keep the change", he added, after leaving a bill on the table and just before he put the CD inside his jacket.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Toward the Middle City
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:41:37 AM »

"Yes, Helga, tell him to enter now", Sigurdur Ólafursson said through the entry phone.

"Good day!", Gudmuntur Ólafursson said as he entered the office and closed the door. "It's been a long time since I came here from last time. I can see the decoration has improved, sort of. How are things going lately here?", he asked while he looked the packed room full of glamourous pictures and golden and silver records.

"Things are going as well as they could", Sigurdur Ólafursson replied. "I rarely come here more than once a week, I am usually in Hálfdanmár Avenue most of the days. But we have an important meeting today".

"Conspiring to break another rival, eh?", Gudmuntur said with a smile. "Have you time to have lunch today?".

"I am afraid I am not", Sigurdur answered. "I have to wait to Arnbjörn and Edda at the airport".

"It's alright", Gudmuntur replied. "I'll be the whole next month in Tavík. If you go there, call me".

"Sure", Sigurdur said". "Father has told me you are buying Vísarbladid".

"Well", Gudmuntur replied, "I didn't tell him...yet".

"Nýttgrund is not a large place, I guess", "Sigurdur replied. "And everything goes there through Kasteilhagt, they say".

"Yes, I guess the Archbishop and father have closer contacts, despite everything that happened a decade ago...", Gudmuntur said. "Vísarbladid is the second newspaper there, so I thought it would be a good chance as I has planned to expand business in Nýttgrund. I may even expand it beyond Eskárkrókur".

"Newspapers are never a good business", Sigurdur said. "And it won't do a miracle if you lack a solid base anyway. Are you already bored about Midverslund?".

"I have different plans", Gudmuntur replied. "That's all".

"Alright", Sigurdur added. "It's getting late. As you are going to stay in Tavík, I'm giving you a few tickets for our last premiers".

"Fine", Gudmuntur said. "Will you be attending?".

"I'm not sure", Sigurdur Ólafursson answered. "I may have some business to attend personally. Gudlaug may attend instead".

While Gudmuntur was checking the pockets of his jacket, he felt and unexpected form. He removed that object and found it was just a CD.

"What's that?", Sigurdur asked.

"Oh, it's just that something I found myself compelled to buy one night Fannar and I ended in a Midvogur dive...It's your now", Gudmuntur replied.

"Whatever...", Sigurdur said. "I'll tell Helga to call a taxi".

"It's not necessary", Gudmuntur replied. "Enjoy your visit to the airport. Greetings to the family".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Toward the Middle City
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 12:07:41 AM »
"Listen!", Halldóra Erlendurdóttir. "That's your song! That must mean something, it can't be a coincidence".

"Don't be silly!", Cyneburga Wigmundóttir replied. "We are alreading coming, I believe this is the street...There is a space there, stop the car".

"Welcome!", Kristján Rúnarsson said. "You must be Cyneburga".

"That's", the woman answered. "Nice to meet you...".

"Excuse me", Kristján said. "My name is Kristján Rúnarsson. Didn't Inna, my secretary, mention you...?".

"Oh yes! She did", Cyneburga answered. "I only forgot the name. And I don't know exactly how things work here".

"That understable", Kristján said. "Mr. Sigurdur Olafursson would have been very pleased to meet you. Unfortunately, as Inna told you, he was not able to be here today as consequence of a sudden compromise. But we are very glad to have you on board in Ímynd Records. You will have the chance to meet him sooner or later".

"Sure", Cyneburga said. "I personally don't mind...".

"We hope to meet Mr. Sigurdur as soon as possible, of course", the other women interrupted.

"Excuse me", Kristján said, uncertain about the identity of the green-haired young woman, who looked slightly older than Cyneburga. "Are you a relative...maybe Miss...?".

"My name is Halldóra Erlendurdóttir", the woman answered. "I am...Mrs. Cyneburga's agent, obviously".

"Ah, I see", Kristján replied. "Let's start with our business...There is no point to make this longer than necessary, as everything is mostly ready, I hope".

Kristján started to look around his desk. "Here we have", he said. "This copy is for you, this is for the company".

He gave a bunch of documents to Cyneburga, who barely cared to leaf the first pages. Halldóra took the papers directly from Cyneburga's hands.

"Is it everything in order?", Kristján asked.

"It says a six-year contract...", Halldóra said. "I thought we decided it was going to be a four years contract. Isn't six year a lot of time".

"I guess so...", Cyneburga said.

"Ah, yes...", Kristján said, "we could change that. But it's only policy to sign six-year contracts. We like to offer our artist stability. We are currently the second company in the Federation, as you may have realized, our catalogue is not long, but we look for quality rather for quantity, and which a clear long-term orientation. In any case, as clause 3.2 establishes, if she sells more than 250,000 copies in any format, for either the next three years or after her first two albums, the contract could be negotiated again, always in better terms".

"250,000", Cyneburga whispered to Halldóra, "that sounds too many...It's better to finish with this anyway".

"Wait", Halldóra said while she kept reading. "Let me finish this first".

"Anything you would like to add?", Kristján said two minutes later.

"No, I don't think so", Halldóra answered.

"Excellent", Kristján said. "You only need to sign the document then".

"One sign here...and another here. That's all", he explained to Cyneburga.

"Perfect", Kristján added. "I'd offer you something to drink in order to celebrate it, but I'm afraid that my office is empty right now...We will keep this paper, this copy is for you".

"Thanks", Halldóra said. "But we have things to do anyway. When will everything be ready?".

"No problem", Kristján replied. "We'll start in two weeks. It shouldn't took more than two months, but it depends on you. There is no hurry, but we have everything ready for your success. By the way, do you enjoy the theatre?".

"The theatre?", Halldóra asked.

"As you may know", Kristján said, "music is only one sector of our corporation. We have tickets from some of our shows, either here on in Tavík, if you are interested. Don't worry, it is for free. But we like to care about our artists, some distraction may inspired them I hope...If you are interested, give the details to Inna and she will take care of it".

"Ah, I see", Halldóra replied. "Maybe, why not. But I am afraid we are leaving the city...we will come back in two weeks. I hope everything will be ready by then".

"Sure", Kristján said. "We will prepare everything. It was a pleasure to meet you, both".

"See you then", Cyneburga timidly replied.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:43:07 PM by paralipomena »