Roleplay > International News Networks

Rokkenjima Broadcasting Corporation (RBC)

<< < (66/69) > >>

Beatrice:

Empress, Grand Duchess Host Charity Gala

The Empress finds her attention captured by the Earl of Eastwood whilst Grand Duchess Sophia enjoys a dance with Chen-ri, royal head of the erstwhile Kaeje state which once existed upon Fukadomari.
Kajūkuri served as the backdrop for the first annual Charity Gala, gathering influential individuals from across the Empire in addition to guests from foreign nations. Benefiting ongoing aid efforts to war torn Kalasin and the Azukishima Prefecture Orphanage, causes close to the hearts of the Imperial Family, an estimated र10.9m ($20.2m) from ticket sales, sponsorships from Abstergo Industries, Rosa Shipyards, Imperial Standard Energy and Crystal Mountain Records, live auction and donations. Artists from Rokkenjima and Dartfordia provided a variety of live entertainment, while the Ashinxao Symphony Orchestra performed live for the ball itself. Both the Empress and the Grand Duchess were in attendance, with the Empress being joined by the Earl of Eastwood, Tytor, and the Grand Duchess being joined by the royal head of the erstwhile Kaeje state which once governed Fukadomari. Following the fall of the Kaeje state his family navigated the following circumstances to remain a wealthy and influential family within the Empire.

Joining the party of the Empress was Hal Morgan (the richest man in Tytor) and the Duke and Duchess of Vigil, parents of Thomas, the Earl of Eastwood.

An extensive list of Fusanese attended the Charity Gala including Chikao Rokuda (Chairman of the Zayasu Corporation, which is the largest trading company in Fusan), Hironori Okuno, Group President of Zayasu UFF Financial Group, Fumio Oketani, President of Isuzu Motors (a major automotive manufacturer), Baron Haruki Shinohara, President of Arasaka (an electronics manufacturer), Yukari Sato, Chairwoman of Ito-Yokado (a major retailer in Fusan), and Haruo Mizutani, a prominent Fusanese art collector. Corporate sponsors from Fusan include Zayasu, Ito-Yokado, Isuzu Motors and Nakamura Trading Company.

The slate of artists from Rokkenjima included Babymetal, Hatsune Miku, YOASOBI and Queens of the Stone Age. Dartfordian stalwarts Muse were joined by a few special guests following them on a personal request from the Empress which saw Paul McCartney and Ringo Star, the surviving members of the Beatles, to join Julian Lennon and Dhani Harrison, sons of John Lennon and George Harrison, receptively, unite to play a selection of songs as The Beatles for one, final, time. Speaking with the RBC McCartney stated "it was never our intention, never, to do something like this, trust me we'd been approached before for such reunion ideas but we always said no because the magic can never be re-bottled. However for the causes in mind, it would have been difficult for us to say no to something like this, I'd like to think John and George are out there somewhere smiling over it, so we did it, and that the effort is helping people in need made it all the more easier for Ringo and I to say yes."

In addition to funds raised by the Charity Gala itself the Empress pledged to personally match the funds raised, bringing the total figure raised to र21.8m ($40.4m). "I understand that I, and those like me, are fortunate and that there are so many out there that lack the advantages I've had my entire life. What use is a fortune if it is not used to make the world around you a better place? As Empress I have every want and need fulfilled before I even know what they are, yet there are those abroad and, indeed, those within my borders who face hardships I couldn't begin to imagine the toll and impact they would mark my life with. All of us can make more money, we can't make more love, more time nor more precious moments than those which are granted to us by our Gods, Goddesses and creators. We're also all here only for a brief moment in time, a twinkling in the vast history of the cosmos we call home, and while I recognize few can drop millions toward any cause before them, we all have the power to effect positive change in the world we all share, even if it's something as simple as putting a smile on the face of another, donating time, blood or food to those less fortunate, it's the act, certainly, not the quantity which ultimately tips the scales," the Empress shared with the RBC.

For her part the Grand Duchess echoed the comments of the Empress. "Everyone living is empowered to make the world around them better, whether it be as a diplomat in the cause for peace, or one making a donation toward a cause which lessens suffering upon Mundus. While the news is filled with contests between nations, at the end of the day, whether we're Rokkenjiman, Kalasinese, Fusanese...none of that matters, truly. We're all people, seeking to make the best of our lives, to see that those in our lives are looked after well; we all have families, loved ones, friends and ourselves. We've made an impact here tonight but that accomplishment is nothing in the face of what every person who lives on Mundus can do if they seek to make Mundus a better place for all. All and each of us can make an impactful difference on the world around us, we only need to choose to do so."

Beatrice:

Grand Duchy Of Fukadomari Is Official

The Grand Duchess addressed Fukadomari upon the results of the votes.
With votes in Josai and Fukadomari returning results of 75% and 69%, respectfully, the Grand Duchy of Fukadomari is set to replace the Grand Duchy of Josai. "The People of Fukadomari have spoken with a determined and undeniable voice," the Grand Duchess shared with the RBC, "that the present arrangement is not working, and that all who call Fukadomari home deserve an equal voice in the Imperial Diet. Upon the successful conclusions of our respective votes I informed the Empress of the will of the People and she has recognized our decisions, granting the green light for Josai to reverse incorporate into Fukadomari and formally establish the Grand Duchy of Fukadomari. I am proud of the result we have reached, just as much as I am hesitant as while I have ruled Josai, I've many, many more millions of voices to consider as we move forward together into the future."

The Grand Duchess confirmed that, just as Rishiri, the Grand Duchy would enjoy full autonomy over its foreign affairs, "opening doors for Fukadomari to engage with the world in a way which benefits us and our unique position in the Dauntel Sea. Here we sit between four nations, those being Rokkenjima, Tytor, Fusan and Abertone, a position I feel which can be naturally levied to enrich the lives of Fukadomarians and Rokkenjimans alike; Sentāpōto is already the busiest port throughout Rokkenjima due to its natural position as a key transit point between Rokkenjiman shipping and the northern hemisphere. If we enhance that position by offering incentives, including discounted rates for shipping from Sentāpōto not only to Rokkenjima but to Fusan as well, I firmly believe we can increase traffic through Sentāpōto by at least 50% within the current year."

The discussion with the press soon turned to the competition the Grand Duchess exited and posted about recently, to which the Grand Duchess offered a shrug. "We'll see where they stand, in some aspects I'm not fully in control of regarding my future, you see," she shared with our reporter. "It remains a fact that I have experience any potential competitor doesn't have, in a sense I'm battle tested there, and with each day I'll gain more experience which would be valuable to a foreign suitor. Still, it remains within the remit of the competition itself whether that venture moves forward or not. In the mean time, I'll be at work for the People of Rokkenjima as Princess, and the People of Fukadomari as their Grand Duchess, and I won't waste one moment in either pursuit."

Beatrice:

Imperial Diet Considers Changes To Arms Sales Policy

Under new legislation being considered by the Imperial Diet Rokkenjima will allow the sale of export versions of certain military hardware to a broader audience. Ships such as the Caroline Class Corvette, as well as other non-capital ships, aircraft and small arms are being considered in the proposal for such export versions.
An Act proposed to the Imperial Diet restrictions against the development of export versions of Rokkenjiman military equipment for sale to nations which are not a part of the Cross-Straits System, or are otherwise considered Major Non-CSTO Allies, is being considered. If passed, the Act would allow for the development of export versions of non-capital ships in the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy, export versions of certain aircraft and a lifting of the ban on small arms sales to nations which are not in the CSTO or are not Major Non-CSTO Allies of the First Empire. "Rokkenjiman shipyards produce some fine ships, and what this Act allows is for the ability of Rokkenjiman firms to produce versions which may be sold to foreign nations without violating current standing law," Speaker Katsuhiko Sugano shared with the RBC. "We should not hold back Rokkenjiman firms from expanding the business opportunities which other nations fully encourage; now we're not going to be selling Excalibur or Class Carriers, let me be clear, but certain other vessels could be of effective use to foreign navies and, so long as they are sold in a responsible manner I feel the benefits are plain for any to see," he continued.

Abstergo Industries has confirmed that work has been started on providing means to provide non-ICON software and equipment suites for the vessels and aircraft in question, whilst Rosa Shipyards has stated it is capable of building ships "while taking into consideration foreign needs for systems which best integrate with their national security needs. We can build any ship around any system with confidence," a spokesperson for Rosa Shipyards shared with the RBC. Some lawmakers, however, have shared their reservations at the development, stating that no matter the compromises involved Rokkenjima should maintain its reluctance to sell weapons systems merely to the highest bidder.

"There was a reason the Saisei Empress limited Rokkenjiman systems to only our closest allies; because we would not wish to see a Rokkenjiman weapons system employed in a manner which stands in contrast to our values," Councillor Koizumi spake on the floor of the House of Councillors. "While this Act opens new avenues for Rokkenjiman firms to increase sales it also opens the box of Pandora for those weapons to be used in ways they never would be used under Rokkenjiman, or Rokkenjiman-allied, control; essentially, once we give them the training and the keys whatever happens next is outside of our control. I, and the Centre Party, will urge caution and great reservation as this Act is considered by the Imperial Diet."

Speaker Katsuhiko Sugano countered the position of Councillor Koizumi, stating, "I don't believe anyone considers where a weapon utilized against them is made and, naturally, we will be seeking some sense of standards for who we sell to outside of the CSTO and our Major Non-CSTO Allies; states like Kusan or Centralia won't be benefiting from this shift in policy I promise my colleague. At present Rokkenjiman firms are precluded from considering continental neighbours for sales as well as responsible states such as Abertone, Paracambi and even the Fusanese. The world has changed since our initial policy on this matter was introduced, and we should evolve our position, not remain stuck in a mindset of the preceding decade."

Self Driving Truck Lanes To Be Employed Within Rokkenjima

An autonomous, futuristic truck with a trailer drives upon a 4-lane highway at night. Both the truck and the road contain a suite of sensors that communitcate with each other in real time to allow the truck to drive safely.
Roadways across the Empire will soon lend some space to a fleet of autonomous vehicles traveling upon them. Following up on an initiative started in 2003, dedicated highway lanes between the Tri-City Megalopolis will host self driving semi-trucks during overnight hours in a comprehensive real life test for such systems moving forward.

Whilst the self-driving vehicle industry continues to promise systems capable of independent navigation in real-world environments, vehicle to everything systems offer a level of safety and efficiency beyond what onboard systems alone are capable of providing. On such roadways information from roadside infrastructure and other vehicles will augment what any individual vehicle can see on its own. The lane in question will span roughly 200km of highway within the Tri-City Megalopolis, a length which will be outfitted with roadside sensors that form a communications network which self driving trucks and centralized human road managers look after for the duration of the pilot program. These sensors will detect other vehicles on the freeway to assist with merging as well as any fallen objects to maintain safety. Should construction zones be required on the route they will be dispatched to the trucks ahead of time.

It is expected that the lanes are to open before early April.

Beatrice:

Advisory Issued Against Unnecessary Travel To Mktvartvelo

The directive came from the Imperial Liaison for Foreign Affairs, largely viewed as an official mouthpiece of the Empress when speaking on matters of foreign affairs.
Imperial Liaison for Foreign Affairs McKenna has issued an official travel advisory for all Rokkenjimans cautioning against "all but the most essential travel arrangements to the Unitary State of Mktvartvelo. Radical forces within the Unitary State have seemingly been empowered following Rokkenjiman actions to protect Rokkenjiman consumers from compromised products, with one lawmaker calling for every Rokkenjiman to be "be deported as soon as possible." We would rather not one Rokkenjiman sits in the custody of the Unitary State so we issue an advisory now: leave, and if you're planning to travel there, don't. Unless you have a parent or child who is on theiir death bed in the Unitary State, you've no reason to go there," Liaison McKenna shared with the RBC.

"The First Empire has pulled back its diplomatic presence in Mktvartvelo," he continued, "so expected consular and embassy services might not be present. Get out, and get out now," he reaffirmed, "things will only get worse from here. The Unitary State sought to punch at Rokkenjima with their cryptic law and now, when Rokkenjiman law is enforced, the crazies threaten the safety of Rokkenjiman nationals within their borders. The entire situation is insanity," McKenna paused before adding, "additional diplomatic and economic sanctions upon the Unitary State will be considered as appropriate."

The First Empire is already confident that measures to seize assets of Mktvartvelo companies and government are well in development, while confirming that the impacts of Mktvartvelo banning Rokkenjiman firms from certain actions in Mktvartvelo are minimal. "Rokkenjiman business in Mktvartvelo is measured in the millions of dollars, our business in Rokkenjima and other foreign markets are in the billions, so we're not worried," a spokesperson from Abstergo shared with the RBC. For her part the Empress has frozen any Rokkenjiman assets held by officials in Mktvartvelo within Rokkenjiman borders stating, "those who hold a sword to our neck are not our friends, and they will be treated as the adversaries that they are. Mktvartvelo already tried to taint the name of Abstergro to protect their own domestic market, and when we retaliate in kind, they seek to paint us ad the bad guys? No, sorry, you started this. We'll finish it on our own terms, thank you. Naturally, Mktvartvelo is open to talking to me but it all starts with them recognizing they were wrong to unfairly target Abstergo when their own privacy laws don't meet the bare minimum of Rokkenjiman standards."

Beatrice:

Empress Invites Prime Minister Brdzeni Kvirkvelia To Imperial Palace

"We may either talk now, or continue to exchange blows against one another and while we may establish firmly which of us is capable of enduring more such blows, I'd rather the path of diplomacy win over that of confrontation."
Speaking with the RBC on the situation which has long been simmering with Mktvartvelo the Empress has shared her distaste for the situation. "We may either speak now, or continue to exchange blows against one another and while we may establish firmly which of us is capable of enduring more such blows, I'd rather the path of diplomacy win over that of confrontation. I trust the word of my advisors, such as Gregory McKenna, as well as the assertions of Rokkenjiman authorities who report to me that Mktvartvelo has acted poorly, bringing the First Empire and the Unitary Republic to the path of a trade war. Indeed, I've previously inserted myself into the originating situation which set forth this set of events and I'm quite disappointed that my words went unheard and unheeded then. However, it is not beyond my capacity to forgive and thus I offer Prime Minister Brdzeni Kvirkvelia an audience with myself, Vicegerent Ravenswood and Liaison McKenna to speak on the true heart of this issue in a fair and open exchange between us at the Imperial Palace. I would add that it would be an opportune time to visit Rokkenjima, with the sakura in bloom, the colourful tapestry which nature weaves in our lands is a spectacle I think everyone should experience if even just once. Against this colourful backdrop of nature we may, frankly, share our concerns face-to-face and establish a path forward which does not involve increasingly petty swipes at each other. I'm granting the Prime Minister an open stage to present the concerns of his nation, as well as an off-ramp from the present trajectory our nations are upon, and I promise an open and listening ear and mind."

The Empress continued, "this offer will be issued once and only once; if the hand of listening and friendship is swiped away it will not be offered again. We can talk, find solutions in a mutual manner, or we may continue down the path of confrontation. While that is not a path I wish to walk down I will do so if forced, and I am certain that in the face of such a confrontation the pain exacted from Mktvartvelo will be much greater than that extracted from the First Empire of Rokkenjima. The choice is within him and his Government: we can talk this out or fight it out. I will trust my people to act in manners which forward the position of the First Empire, and as such if this offer is refused it will not be offered again. Let us talk, or let us continue forward in conflict; in this case, it is that simple unfortunately. I hope we have the opportunity to talk, though."

IRN Submarine Equipped with Mundus’ First Silent Caterpillar Dive

IRN Ambush, the newest Rorqual Class Submarine, was taken to Rosa Shipyards to equip the new magnetohydrodynamic drive (MHD).[/i]
Rokkenjiman submarines will further expand their capabilities to operate silently in the undersea domain with the installation of a new type of propulsion system, the magneto-hydrodynamic drive (MHD), on the Rorqual Class Submarine. Representing the culmination of years worth of investment and research the first example of the MHD is set to begin testing in the coming weeks. First mentioned in official reports in 2015 the drive utilizes water which is accelerated using superconducting magnets which is often compared to the crawling of a caterpillar, leading to a colloquial term "caterpillar drive".

The first boat to be equipped is the IRN Ambush, the newest of the Rorqual Class, which was taken to Rosa Shipyards, Azukishima Prefecture for refurbishment. As the system utilizes no moving mechanical parts it is considered particularly stealthy, making it difficult to detect submarines outfitted with such a drive using passive sonar which listens for noises made by the targeted submarine. Sonar operators may, while searching for Ambush, pick up noises that are incapable of being distinguished from natural phenomena such as seismic activity.

Instead of the traditional propeller located at the stern of Ambush the new system is to be located entirely within the hull of the submarine. Experts state that the only external clue is likely to be water intakes in the bow of the ship which, while similar to torpedo shutters, will be larger in diameter. If the tests set to be undertaken aboard Ambush are successful the new system could be installed on more submarines. These are likely to include replacements, such as the hypothetical Rorqual Block II-IV, as well as future SSN-X variants.

While still in its infancy it remains to be seen whether Rokkenjiman waters will be the end of the story, or the beginning of a new chapter in submersible warfare.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version