Author Topic: The Albionite Pirate War 1716-1726 OOC Discussion  (Read 5777 times)

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
The Albionite Pirate War 1716-1726 OOC Discussion
« on: October 10, 2017, 03:29:24 PM »

Since the horn peeps for example got their own thread which pretty much discusses their potential history together, sharing a common imperial legacy etc. I thought that the continent of Albion, or at least those in the southern hemisphere should have a common "identity" together, a history of mutual respect, tolerance and cooperation between each other despite the vast differences in cultures and governments (although at least with the southern nations such as ES, AT and Lodja common characteristics include absolute monarchies which in some way have a connection with the divine, respect of anicent traditions etc.)

Which is why I brought up once again the discussion of a potential war between the Albionite powers and the pirates in the 1710s-1720s which marked the last golden age of this controversial activity and finally brought this scourge of the seas to an end (at least to a much threatening degree). Depending on how this discussion unfolds, I suppose one of the Albionite leaderships realises the issues that priracy contributes, such as worsened economic situations and shipping capabilities due to these pirates roaming around, looting treasure/trade goods and taking sailors etc. as slaves while establishing a permanent presence among those islands east of Albion; perhaps they decided to form some sort of Pirate confederacy and elected a common Pirate Overlord/King to lead them. All of this prompted the need for the Albionite powers to form an alliance; the first meeting to come up with a plan would have perhaps taken place in a neutral territory of some kind.

Now, feel free to add opinions/suggestions etc!

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: The Albionite Pirate War 1716-1726 OOC Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »
I will always encourage people to pursue their history's not just nationally but regionally as it gives good basis (in theory) for our current RP setup.

As someone who is familiar with various aspects of the regions IC history (and various attempts at it) I'd recommend if it were possible pushing the timeline to between circa 1740 and 1760. I say that because that would give you the basis for the piracy being an issue in the first place because the sea at that point in the southern hemisphere has no dominant naval power to keep them in check. Obviously I don't know if the timing is a movable feast but if you did move it you'd be able to take advantage of the situation in respect of the then dominant naval power in the area - the Ardian Empire being challenged by Rokkenjiman and Achkaerinese (through Gowu) navies which would create the aforementioned power vacuum on the sea, this being partly Achkaerin's War of the Five Queen's (one of these days that will make it into the history section).

However my concern with this proposal as it stands would be the question of "Where are these pirates coming from?" take a look at the below image

Based on what I've read I presume that the pirates would be based on territory circled in red on our map these being territories B93 and B43. Now I have an issue with that part of this because if you say for example that these pirates were based on B43 (the further north of the two) and someone then claims that island you have a problem because it is then that persons decision whether or not the pirates were there, granted this is somewhat solved if the nation doesn't predate the pirate situation but I would recommend that you don't put these pirates in unclaimed territory.

So in my opinion you have for the moment two options

1) Have the pirates historically come from an already existing nation - this would need to be a suitably local nation that's likely to hang around.

2) Do an Atlantis - assume the islands to no longer exist having sunk for whatever reason. In theory this allows you to have the pirate base you want without causing trouble for the MT RP. I would suggest a cluster of islands in the purple circle for location purposes here.

There is a potential third option but I'm not prepared to go near that until this is fleshed out more.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 05:55:49 PM »
Yes, I was actually referring to the cluster of islands circled in Purple, around that area basically^ We do have Foxtrove which has a history of vikings raids, but even if he would agree to become a former pirate stronghold he would have been too small and easy to handle, thus the war would have ended much, much less than 10 years.

Offline Arda Tuluva

• Basically New Zealand
  • Honor and glory! Death and shame to our enemies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:03:40 PM »
From 1697-1708 Arda Tuluva was embroiled in a Civil War. Prior to that the nation was gripped by famine, natural disasters, and insurrections. In 1697 the Empire plummeted into a civil war, a large faction from the army and noble families had declared that the Vildimë Dynasty had lost the Mandate of Heaven and supported the minor noble house Sarëar.

After 11 year of fighting the last stronghold from the Vildimë Dynasty surrendered and the Mandate of Heaven officially transferred to the newly created Tercenë Dynasty in 1708. This period following was one typical of a Dynastic Cycle, Noble Families and ministers that were loyal to the old Dynasty during the war were purged, executed, forced into suicide, or exiled. As well as, the new Dynasty's consolidation on power and rebuilding the war-torn infrastructure.

Therefore, Arda Tuluva wouldn't have the power to defeat these pirates alone. Also, they would not want trade to be disrupted during the first decades of their reign.

A possibility of where the Pirate Fleet came from. When the Empire plunged into war the Admiral of the Vildimë Fleet (who was never the most loyal or honorable man, as his post was an appointment from corruption) saw an excellent opportunity to take advantage of the situation. Since the war began no gold was coming from the capital, how was he to pay his men? There was little food from the famines, how was he to feed his men? Piracy. The Vildimë empress was too busy fighting to keep her throne and so he and his ships set sail and found some small islands to set up base. They raided, pillaged, and continued to recruit and build up a power base.

A thought I had, as then there is a reason to how the Pirates seemingly came out of nowhere. Also, Arda Tuluva, to save face, would have said the rebels burned their fleet a port instead of admitting their officers were mutineers and dishonored.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Nice, keep it up^
So where would the first meeting between the major leaders be held, to unite against the common pirate enemy? In one of our countries or on neutral gound somewhere?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:40:31 PM by The Young Pope »

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
  • Hallo, Ich bin eine Filipino.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Quintelia, Socram and Sarandib
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 03:51:49 AM »
I might suggest that the pirates were from Quintelia. By 1700s ES is already exploiting the locals and natives of Quintelia. Rebel groups may have issued piracy as their source of weapons, money, etc. Their main target would be ES warships.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »
Ok...why can't then these pirates come from different Albionite nations for instance and unite to form a common alliance and goal? Pirates from AT and Quintelia sounds cool enough, doesn't it?

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »
Just quickly going to flag something on the alliance front here - three nations working together to combat piracy works easily enough as it would probably originate on the seas before it got near becoming anything formal. In terms of pirates just be aware that the reasons for piracy will differ from group to group so chances of them allying would probably be slimmer.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »
Making it easier to defeat them^

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
  • Hallo, Ich bin eine Filipino.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Quintelia, Socram and Sarandib
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 11:30:27 PM »
So... Would this be a good time to revive this thread? Considering that there's Zib, and he's most probably in the Sea of Alacard, it would be nice to start an IC thread sometime in the near future.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 12:01:55 AM »
Why not shift time slightly and tie it to this https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=809.0