Author Topic: Ardian Assembly Debate - Slavery & Sanctions (2019) NOW AT VOTE  (Read 5713 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina

In the recent days we have seen our Southern Ardian neighbours the Second Imperial Chinese Republic purchase some 50,000 individuals held in slavery in Tamora. These individuals were then freed upon arrival in the SICR however it is our firm belief that despite this action probably be well intentioned it will have the opposite effect on the issue of slavery.

This is now the forth example of individuals or nations buying slaves from Tamora in order to free them. This has created a massive input into the Tamoran economy, with the last sale raising $3billion for the nations slave industry. Meanwhile the total number of slaves in Tamora has taken hardly a dent. Add to this that several millions of Maori, descendants of those kidnapped by the Seleucid during the occupation there, are still held in slavery never having known freedom. Before the sales began 15% of Tamoras population were slaves, that number has not budged one bit. We therefore have seen the only impact of these sales be that of improving the Tamoran economy and showing slavers that the do gooders of the world with more money than economic sense are not helping end this mass suffering.

The people of Tamora can be made to understand that slavery is not in their interests. We must pursue a two pronged attack, first ensure that no slaver can find a market for their goods thus reducing their profits. The second is by showing these slavers that the future without slaves is more profitable. Imagine the situation, you are a poor unfortunate slave being forced to work on a Tamoran farm. You are unpaid, and in order to keep profits as high as possible the conditions they face are likely to be basic at best. How does this motivate a person to work hard and do their best? In short it doesn't, production on these facilities will be low than those in nations such as Bakkermaya where workers are well rewarded for their efforts and feel protected and I dare say at times happy in their work. Slavery also reduces the economic potential of a nation. Imagine what would happen in terms of sales of basic necessities should the 15%, or 38million people suddenly become tax payers, consumers and contributors to the economy. The nation would flourish knowing 15% of its nation have more money in its pocket, more desire to work and you would see production increase. We have seen it before in historic slave using nations. Remove slavery and the amount of products produced in factories, the amount of produce made on farms increases. It becomes a win win for all involved, especially if we pair it with the global response to not allow a single person to profit from human slavery.

We have seen in the past 48 hours nations imposing sanctions against each other based on buying slaves, an action that I condemn naturally. But actions such as sanctions make people entrench their points of view and turn nations towards asking their allies and friends to support their action. As such we must not fall into this trap. Nations such as Quintellia and SICR, along with individuals such as the Bene Gesserit and Bateson from Rokkenjima much also be made to understand this simple tennant if you exchange cash or goods for human life you are by that very action saying it is possible to own a person in much the same way a person would own a wardrobe or a car. By then saying that you are giving them their freedom implies that they need your permission to be free.

I therefore call upon the Ardian Assembly as well as other Ardian nation to support the following.

May The Gods Watch Over You and All People Know Freedom

Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles.

Determined to address the issue of slavery on a local and global scale.

Concerned about the economic inputs of Ardian nations to the Tamoran slave economy.

Recognizing that the recent slave purchases were done for well intentioned reasons

Committed to recognizing that the continent of Ardia must work together

The nations of Ardia hereby agree to abide by the following.

1. No nation in Ardia shall exchange money, goods or services for a person held in servitude.

2. Nations of Ardia shall adopt as a trading standard that only goods bearing the Freestone Mark may enter the continent.

3. Nations of Ardia agree that they shall deny financial or material support to any Tamoran business that does not hold the Freestone Mark.

4. So long as SICR, New Derusmia and Rokkenjima agree to Articles 1-3 sanctions against each other shall be lifted.

OOC- Imagine all Assembly members are in the HQ debating chamber, and that representatives of SICR and New Derusmia have been invited to attend.

It was left to Sir Richard Henderson to table the motion and introduce it. He had simply read the letter Lascelles had written to the world and then the proposed motion. "Ladies and Gentleman, you have on the table an opportunity to do something to first of all halt the continent falling into an economic war, second restore harmony to the continent is a small measure and thirdly hopefully make an impact on slavery. I heartily recommend the motion to you and I'm happy to discuss or amend it should others have their own ideas."

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:51:06 PM by RobertAgira »

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: Ardian Assembly Debate - Slavery & Sanctions (2019)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
"As the Representative for Rokkenjima has presently fallen ill I, as Princess of Arovium, shall be speaking for her for the purposes of this meeting. I would first like to thank Grand Duke Lascelles for his swift action and believe that what he has proposed is the start of a solution to the serious issues before us. Sir Richard Henderson, Rokkenjima proposed a delay in the implementation of sanctions until diplomacy could yield no results, that proposal shall be extended to these talks provided the SICR and New Derusmia meet those actions in kind, and in good faith. This is even in light of New Derusmia talking of readying its military; quite simply, the First Empire is not interested in confrontation with Ardian states and hopes that this escalation by New Derusmia will be seen as folly, and we shall be able to meet here and put the proposals of the Grand Duke into action."

"Secondly, we have the Empire of Tamora talking of deploying fighter jets to Ardian soil, a development I'm quite sure none of us would see as favourable. Foreign militaries operating on Ardian soil and in its airspace, that of a slaver nation no less, is quite simply unacceptable. While I urge the SIRC and New Derusmia to reject the offer, I also believe Ardian states should state that we shall not accept Tamoran assets operating on our continent. The First Empire is preparing her naval and air assets as we speak, however, and should Tamoran fighters attempt to enter Ardian airspace we will take action to deny that threat entry into Ardia."

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 01:05:44 AM »
“I would also note that the Empress stated that, should New Derusmia reconsider its sanctions regimen that sanctions upon the SICR would see implementation delayed until the conclusion of these talks. That position still stands; implementation of Rokkenjiman sanctions remains paused in that good-faith effort and it remains to be seen whether or not such moves shall be reflected by New Derusmia. We certainly hope this is the case and they shall choose cooperation with their continental neighbours over the pot stirring of the Tamoran Empire, who seem keen on painting a narrative that our Ardian neighbours are facing an imminent military threat, heightening tensions even further while creating an opening for their forces to operate in Ardia. As the Empress has made clear through not mobilizing the Rokkenjiman military in kind, there is no intent to initiate military operations against our fellow Ardians and it is her belief that these discussions are the best path forward for all involved.”

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 04:21:19 PM »
“As the SICR representative, I, Baron Ming-Yuexi, would like to thank His Grace for providing this opportunity to arrange a de-escalation effort. In response to the Rokkenjiman ambassador, we can first say that the SICR can neither confirm nor deny any action with the Tamoran offer. Secondly, we will accede under demands with demands of our own, namely the removal of all sanctions and charges against the Imperial Republic, the assured and complete arrival of our immigrants, and we are permitted to trade with whoever we wish. In return, we will reliable our transaction with the Tamoran that the money exchanged will be used to replace those slaves with machinery or fairly paid workers that hold all rights to humane treatment, along with the agreement to refrain from the purchase of individuals forced to work.”
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:19:12 PM »
"Well Baron" The Bakkermayan ambassador began, "We have on record that as we presently sit here no sanctions are in place on either side, therefore I believe you've already got that as you've just heard." He refered to his notes Princess Evanthe state "Rokkenjima proposed a delay in the implementation of sanctions until diplomacy could yield no results, that proposal shall be extended to these talks provided the SICR and New Derusmia meet those actions in kind, and in good faith." He put his notebook down. "With that in place then we need to look at the rest of what is proposed in light of what you have said. No one has said anything about the fate of those immigrants, therefore you are making demands that we assure you of something no one around this table had even remotely threatened. As for trade with who you wish no one is placing a stumbling block in that. What we are seeking to do is make sure that slave made products and materials do not find a home in Ardia. The Freestone Mark is an ethical symbol that assures consumers that the products they are buying do not include the blood, sweat and tears of slaves. Clearly the fact you purchased these people to give them their freedom shows your nation believe slavery has no place, so why would you wish to have products made by slaves in your nation? The Freestone Mark becoming required for imports from Tamora by all Ardia ensures our money doesn't allow slave traders to prosper. Furthermore it also means we can support those Tamorans who are trying to trade without slaves. Surely this is something you would support otherwise it makes your recent dealings with Tamora rather odd. Now should you select to ringfence the original monies that is your choice. What is done is done, what must now be done is present a united front in the battle against slavery. That would be strengthened if we didn't have nations of our continent threatening each other with sanctions. I firmly believe this proposal Grand Duke Lascelles has presented is a fair one. It doesn't stop you, or anyone else trading with Tamora, it just asks for a level of ethics which support a cause you seem to have the good intention to support. It ensures Ardia does not turn against itself and allows us to work together. As for the offer you can neither confirm or deny Bakkermaya see's this in two ways. First it is a nations right to permit whoever they wish to visit their nation as long as their getting there does not violate any international law. My second point is this, Princess Evanthe has stated, "Foreign militaries operating on Ardian soil and in its airspace, that of a slaver nation no less, is quite simply unacceptable." I would then therefore ask her about the Achkaerin troops at Antares or the Dartfordian presence at Akotiri. If we are having as a standard that no foreign militaries may operate on Ardian soil or shall face the wrath of Rokkenjima then our own joint military exercises with East Moreland will bring us into sanctions. I think clarification of the Imperial Rokkenjiman stance on overseas military power projection should be sought, for example we need to define, "operating" to myself that would include military exercises, joint patrols, officer exchanges and several other policies. I mean my understanding is Rokkenjima currently have Achkaerin military intelligence working alongside their own? How therefore can we in one breath here Rokkenjima state that foreign militaries on Ardian soil is simply unacceptable yet they are guilty of it themselves? Now I think therefore what we should do is have both SICR and Rokkenjima publically on record state that they shall not from today onwards seek or utilise foreign military involvement that could be used against another Ardian nation. How does that sound?"

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 05:05:23 PM »
“Very well, that seems fair. The Imperial Republic will not purchase any good missing the Freestone Mark.”
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »
"Rokkenjima has long-standing relationships with Achkaerin and Dartfordia, dating back at least a decade, which are codified in treaties which exist between the states. Much in the same way that Rokkenjima and Dartfordia share close ties, I imagine it's quite the same for Bakkermaya and East Moreland. Comparing long-standing relationships with a Tamoran presence in Ardia under the present conditions is thus not an accurate comparison of the circumstances. Just as there are clear conditions and prerequisites under which Rokkenjiman forces may be deployed from Queen Katenka Naval Base in Dartfordia, or Queen Cecelia Military Base in Achkaerin, so too exist likewise conditions for their respective bases in Rokkenjima: those being the approval of the Imperial Government, and no operations which are not conducted in self, or mutual, defense interests."

"Thus the conditions presented by Sir Richard Henderson are already in existence through existing treaties held with Rokkenjima's allies, who have an established track record of a harmonious presence and hold their forces to high standards of respect for international law, treaties and other such agreements. On the other hand, Tamora was most recently on the brink of a conflict of which the enslavement of Slava Lavosk was one of their stated objectives. We've before us today the opportunity for a solution reached through the work of fellow Ardian states and, as Rokkenjima continues to show that it has no designs for military operations against either the SICR or New Derusmia Tamoran assets would only provide for a needless escalation of the situation at present."

"On an associated note Achkaerinese intelligence work within the First Empire follows perhaps the greatest domestic attack against the First Empire since the conclusion of the Second Patriotic War. This assistance has proven invaluable, and are themselves the actions of a treaty ally assisting a party which itself had been attacked, involving no operations outside the borders of the First Empire. Achkaerin itself has a record of pursuing diplomatic solutions to a variety of crises, being a strong voice for de-escalation in situations such as Toshindai's era of aggression and Zachachevania's series of hostile acts toward its Ardian neighbours. Likewise, the Kingdom of Dartfordia has long pursued diplomacy with a high threshold for the deployment of Dartfordian forces in response to any crisis at hand; and while they no longer maintain a presence, I believe we all know enough of Seaforth's reputation that we've no need to rehash points already stated."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 08:49:13 PM »
"Your Imperial Highness, at some point there was no long standing relationship between you and any of the nations that you mentioned. What the statement made by the Empress said was that "Foreign militaries operating on Ardian soil and in its airspace....is unacceptable." There was no caveat to that statement. In a legal sense what these nations seek to do in their own nation is up to them. I personally believe there is no reason why Tamoran aircraft or any other military asset needs to come to Ardia as I believe that we have before us a perfect acceptable route forward that would ensure that Ardia does not in any way support the slave trade and thus ends the various risks of sanctions in a tit for tat manner. We have heard the Imperial Republic agree to the terms Grand Duke Hugo has put forward. Perhaps the Empress and the government representative of New Derusima could give their opinions on the resolution before us."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 10:41:31 PM »
Talulah Metcalfe the Cenneg delegate to the Assembly stood up. "The Kingdom of Ui Cenneslaig largely supports the Lascelles resolution. We however believe that we should also like to see as part of this an agreement by all sides that Rokkenjima clarify the remarks made that our Bakkermayan host as quoted. As we stand we have Rokkenjima, an Empire with tentacles spreading across Mundus, attempting to stop another nation using the means at is disposal to improve relations and perhaps even go so far as spread its influence. Furthermore I would ask both China and New Derusima to pull back from their desire to have Tamora in their nation militarily, we have seen them do good things in Zimalia and so far the spectre of slavery has not shown itself there, yet I see no need for their military arms to extend into Ardia. I understand they are sending a squadron, no more than 24 aircraft. Are 24 aircraft going to do much beyond make a political statement? Clearly not all it will show is that your nations prefer war to peace. I would urge all parties to accept this agreement."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 12:12:51 AM »
Kae Taira was Gowu's appointed representative to the Ardian Assembly, she'd sat silently listening to everything that had been said so far, she wasn't inclined to get too far embroiled into round whatever number they were on of Rokkenjiman statements, though Evanthe's last remarks had made her roll her eyes slightly.

"Gowu believes that the Lascelles resolution definitely goes in the right direction, in fact it could be said that it goes most of the way there but not quite all the way. At present when I read the resolution article one states No nation in Ardia shall exchange money, goods or services for a person held in servitude. this clearly implies that no one should be buying or selling slaves, which is a position that should be commended and encouraged. However that is where the statement stops, the resolution does not actually say that the nations of Ardia shall not enslave people so I would propose that article one be amended to something like No nation in Ardia shall exchange money, goods or services for a person held in servitude or hold people in servitude. With such an amendment we close off the loophole that could be exploited in the current proposal." Kae said, then she turned her attention to the recent remarks.

"While I'm sure that the Emperor will be happy to see Rokkenjima finally accepting the worthwhile nature of Achkaerinese efforts on Ardia in recent times I'm also sure he will be equally saddened that such support from Rokkenjima was not forthcoming at the time in any of the instances and instead chose to pursue courses that undermined the efforts that Princess Evanthe on behalf of Rokkenjima now seems to commend.

Now if we turn to the subsequent evolution of what we're here to discuss it seems clear that we have a few interesting aspects to this that have all rather gotten out of hand to put it mildly. Firstly there's an assertion being made by the SICR that the sanctions imposed by Rokkenjima are to do with something called 'The Southern Line' and not this act of purchasing slaves from Tamora. I personally would find that difficult to believe because that suggests that Rokkenjima is sanctioning over something that it doesn't know exists.[1] In fairness it is understandable to see why SICR may feel that, or something like it, to be the case however especially given that Rokkenjima's policy on slavery is a little wishy washy. The Empress of Rokkenjima, a woman whose signature is on the Mundus Convention of Universal Rights, visits Tamora that is not good imagery for such a nation as Rokkenjima to be projecting. Then there's the matter of existing sanctions or to be more precise the lack of them - the sanctions Rokkenjima has levied against Tamora are not as a result of the practice of slavery but as a result of Tamora's recognition of a state that doesn't meet any legal definition for existing. And of course let's not forget the lack of any sanctions against Quintelia when their King, a man whose signature is also on the MCUR, did exactly what the SICR did." Kae paused turning her attention to Evanthe "You see the inconsistency and what it may give rise to I trust?"

Taking a sip of water Kae continued to make her final point

"I also agree with the points of Mr Metcalfe and Sir Richard, it is absolutely critical that we see the clarifications asked of Rokkenjima in this matter. I also agree with Mr Metcalfe that the presence of the Tamoran jets is not going to be helpful to the present situation, in fact all it stands to do is escalate this further and we should consider that our shared intention here is to resolve this matter before it gets beyond the point of no return. The way to do that is in my view to agree the Lascelles Resolution as amended."
 1. OOC - Kris I'm sure will correct if I'm wrong but there's nothing in the relevant news threads about the line and the invitation was seemingly sent direct to the HoS of Quintelia, ND, Cantabria and SICR. Therefore I don't see how Rokkenjima would know about this.

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 12:29:27 AM »
To:- The Ardian Assembly

While the Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi is not a member of the Ardian Assembly we believe that having seen the draft copy of a proposed resolution by Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles we must send this communication to the Assembly.

First we wish to place as a matter of public record our thanks to the Grand Duke for attempting to work internationally to end the inhuman spectre of slavery. This is a matter close to our hearts and we are pleased to see a way forward being suggested.

We however condemn anybody who believes that a person is property to be brought or sold. Even if the person doing this tells the world they do it with the intention of freeing people or returning to them human rights they are by the process of handing over money telling the world that the person was available to buy. While these thousands of people are being taken to SICR I would wish the government there to inform us of how many of these individuals and families are Maori in origin. It is a matter of public record that a good number of slaves are descendent from the Maori kidnapped by Royal Seleucid during their occupation of our Commonwealth. I would remind the world that any Maori is free to claim citizenship of our land regardless of nation of birth, therefore I ask SICR to permit any Maori to return to their ancestral homeland rather than go through with a "swearing in" ceremony as mentioned in their local media. We would be willing to provide transport for these people and as is Maori custom they would be welcomed by their Iwi with open arms and find themselves an important part of a caring community of their own people.

This Assembly and the swift response of Grand Duke Hugo gives me encouragement that it is possible for Ardia to take swift action and firm stances against evil. Something that our nation has found lacking in this continent before now. For nearly 250 years our homeland was occupied by Mid-Aranyan forces and this continent did not lift a single finger to stop the human rights violations taking place there. You all now have an oppurtunity to show that these wrongs would not happen today. You must therefore turn away from military action against each other and unite against the true evil of slavery.

We thank the Assembly for reading this and we trust you to make the right decision in supporting Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles.

King Piripi Not of the Ngāpuhi but of The Iwi.

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
  • this man GUCCI'D down to the SOCKS but need $4 🤨
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Federation of Kaimaya
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 01:14:12 AM »
The New Derusmian representative thoroughly read the newly recieved letter. He then looked up at the SICR representatives. “I believe that this letter makes a valid point,” said the representative. “Instead of keeping these people in the SICR, send them back to their families in their native countries.” The New Derusmian representative read the resolution given earlier. “There seems to be nothing wrong with this resolution. From now on, New Derusmia will not purchase any products with the Freestone Mark on it.”
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 01:21:00 AM by Franfish McGee »

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 01:24:15 AM »
"As will the SICR. We will ensure that any Maori-claiming individual is immediately informed to Maori authorities, and sent safely and efficiently as possible."
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 08:50:51 PM »
"I believe we've reached a point where further discussion is not neccessary. I therefore propose we put Grand Duke Lascelles resolution to a vote. The final article has a slight change of wording in order to fit the current geopolitical situation"

Quote from: Grand Duke's Proposal

Concerned about the economic inputs of Ardian nations to the Tamoran slave economy.

Recognizing that the recent slave purchases were done for well intentioned reasons

1. No nation in Ardia shall exchange money, goods or services for a person held in servitude.

2. Nations of Ardia shall adopt as a trading standard that only goods bearing the Freestone Mark may enter the continent.

3. Nations of Ardia agree that they shall deny financial or material support to any Tamoran business that does not hold the Freestone Mark.

4. So long as SICR, New Derusmia and Rokkenjima agree to Articles 1-3 sanctions against each other shall not be implemented.

"Voting shall take place over the next 60 minutes[1] and is open to all Assembly members and those who have taken part in the debate."
 1. Until 10pm UK time on the 19th April

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Ardian Assembly Debate - Slavery & Sanctions (2019) NOW AT VOTE
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
"The First Empire votes in favour of the Grand Duke Lascelles resolution."

Pausing, Evanthe continued, "Now while I receive daily intelligence and executive briefings I am somewhat removed from the internal discussions of the Imperial Government, thus the questions posed earlier would be best addressed to the Empress and her diplomatic staff, arrangements I can tend to should either of you wish to discuss such matters further. However, I am considering some discussions with the Empress and may explore a more formal return to my service in the Imperial Government." As she spoke a vibration in her pocket took her attention, "If you'll excuse me, I must take this; Joshua has done well to hold out this long before calling upon me," she said with a smile.

"Mr. Ambassador, assembled dignitaries, thank you, I shall be as brief as possible."

Beatrice Anselmo

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 02:42:49 AM »
"The Imperial Republic votes in favor of the resolution. We seek no further quarrel with Rokkenjima. We thank the Ambassador and assembled representatives for their time and the Grand Duke for his efforts."
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
  • this man GUCCI'D down to the SOCKS but need $4 🤨
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Federation of Kaimaya
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 04:52:15 AM »
“Let’s get this over this, shall we? The Reunified Socialist Republic of New Derusmia votes in favour of the Grand Duke Lascelles Resolution.”

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 10:06:27 PM »
With no votes against and four in support we can consider this resolution passed.

4. So long as SICR, New Derusmia and Rokkenjima agree to Articles 1-3 sanctions against each other shall not be implemented.