Author Topic: Can We Talk About the 20th Century on Mundus?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ahkabnil
Can We Talk About the 20th Century on Mundus?
« on: September 11, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
There is some major inconsistency in regards to how we perceive our recent history on Mundus. One of the major problems we run into is World War II, and it has been attempted to be hashed out many times before but it just doesn't work. It's hard enough to say ww1 happened but ww2, an event which drastically altered our modern rl world, is just a footnote, and most RP nation's i'm learning didn't even participate in it.  That's why I suggest we retcon it and go roughly original for our 20th century history at least that will fit into why Mundus is at the unchanging state it is now.

Quick points:

- Remove ww2 from the regional canon, we can't figure this out.

- But, we have one world war, that being world war one, perhaps it vaguely last longer and spans a greater technological era. Generally, this single world war, is what would lead to the downfall of massive empires, and would be a definitive turning point in the history of Mundus whether someone was in that empire or involved in the war or not. It explains all the bloodthirsty self-motivated nation's running around in the midst of a lasting power vacuum.

- Rework our 'cold war', essentially leave it open ended and rely on people to cooperate their histories together as to why nukes were sought after. Depending on the historical circumstances of said nation, they could have gotten nukes for MAD against a larger threat in their history.

- Abandon historical NPCs, no one uses them(as much as I want ppl to :(), the singular great war or whatever we want to call it will just be a time 'when empires fell' and the demographic of mundus is shifted, vaguely.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Criticisms?

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
Re: Can We Talk About the 20th Century on Mundus?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 03:12:57 PM »
Does anyone even use the WW2 aside from the really old nations? ^^

if we want to/continue to use big historical events and empires we kinda need to put them somewhere into the starting guides to start with.

Maybe we should try to get an overall timeline for the most active players and compare so we get things worked out, before we try to nail a single event in.

-> actually that might be a good idea in general. It gives an overview for old players to not loose track, and new players to find a niche to fumble their nation in.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:22:56 PM »
I actually think out the old nations only Dartfordia, Rokkenjima and Achkaerin use it.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:50:52 PM »
The primary issue with big historical NPC's like the Ardian Empire is that it's reliant on Ardian nations for its size. If a majority of nations don't want to be part of it then it falls. But we then have the problem of already established history's, such as Rokkenjima gaining independence from the Ardian Empire in 1684 and to be fair if we're going to be realistic about this it's highly unlikely that we wouldn't have the names of these powers.

What I would suggest we do is work out the rough territory and sphere for each of these former great nations so the Ardian Empire, Rus Empire, Horn of Ardia Empire (whatever we're calling it) plus any I've missed and figure out some way points, we don't need all the details we just need major events.

In regards to the world wars, I do agree with Gad. What I would propose is this have one world war involving the historical powers because they can shatter apart, fall or whatever during it or in the aftermath. I would actually recommend we elongate it and maybe have it happen from the late twenties/early thirties to the late forties - this would allow at least technologically speaking minimal disruption and alteration to the nuclear canon (which is the principle event tied to WW2 on Mundus). Now I'm happy to hash something out with Gad in regards to this war and what happened in it but we'd need to know the players involved. But also if we're going to talk about this then people need to be cooperative.

As for the cold war that technically speaking could be viewed as ending with the fall of the USR in 2014 I think it was (someone correct me if I'm wrong) , but I would like to formally propose that (because I don't like messing with the history of a nation that may come back at some point who knows?) that we historically speaking finally adopt Rodina (or whatever Gad called it) and use that in place of the USR where appropriate. We can build it in to the Warsaw Pact historically and it can be the historic nuclear power. This point in real terms only affects Kaitaine but I don't believe it would cause a problem as its simply a name change and nothing more.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »
Here's a perhaps controversial but hopefully simple solution to the Empire thing. Don't give it a geographic name, write a history for said Empire and leave its exact Geographic nature vague, then those nations seeking to be part of a historical failed Empire can use them, those who don't have their way out.

Have each have their own epoch and then nations can tap into that.