Author Topic: Stories of an Empire (Daitōjin Vignettes)  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
Stories of an Empire (Daitōjin Vignettes)
« on: February 19, 2022, 06:48:25 AM »
Stories of an Empire is a thread which will be used to detail various stories from around the Empire of Daitō, stretching from 1860 to the present. While such posts may not be made in any chronological order, they will be put up as links on this post in chronological order, as well as being categorized by their type.
Categories
Imperial Family

Coming Home — 10-19-19
A Night Worth Remembering — 07-14-22
The Transition — 08-03-22
Military

Politics

Spaceflight
The Voyagers, Part One — Moonshot (11-29-21)
The Voyagers, Part Two — Between Worlds (11-30-21)
The Voyagers, Part Three — Go for Undocking (12-01-21)
The Voyagers, Part Four — The Landing (12-01-21)
The Voyagers, Part Five — The First Step (12-01-21)
Shinkyō Calling (12-01-21)
The Voyagers, Part Six — Discovery (12-03-21)
The Voyagers, Part Seven — Final Day on the Moon (12-06-21)
Civilian

Misc.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 05:28:16 AM by Daitō »

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of an Empire (Daitōjin Vignettes)
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 07:32:57 AM »
Shinkyō calling
Imperial Palace, Shinkyō
UTC 1900
December 1, 2021

The room was abuzz with movement, a mere two hours prior, Daitō had joined an illustrious cadre of nations who had landed a man on the moon, after all. However, for all that it was worth, it was only a half-complete job. They still had to return to their capsule, which still about six days away. Nonetheless, as his highness looked up at the moon, listening into the comms loop from mission control, he couldn't help but feel as though the intrepid flight of Ryū M-III had captured his imagination, much as it did many around the world. Even if this was a momentary distraction from his normal duties, sparse as they finally were due to the situation on the homefront settling down, it was worth the time and effort.

He wondered, as he often did, what it was like to soar among the stars, to see an alien world with his own eyes. Indeed, as a child he practically devoured old tapes of his nation's first forays into the great void, those and recordings of the first moon landing in '69 by his southern neighbor. It was such footage that convinced him, much to his parents protests, to join the Air Force, eventually serving as a pilot during the war. Risky business, that, but it made him feel truly alive in such a way few other experiences could. For a minute, he thought he might have caught a glimpse of Kyūden IV, that bygone relic of an age now passed, fly overhead, transiting the lunar surface as it did so, although it was more likely to be a satellite of some sort. Nonetheless, he continued to wait patiently for a chance to speak to the crew in what would be a most important call.
   "Tengu, Shinkyō." CAPCOM, presently being filled by ūchunaut Taichi Yukawa, said over the loop. He was set to fly in late January, by what Eijiro could remember.
   "Go ahead, Control." The mission commander, confusingly also named Eijiro, responded. Maybe he ought to change his actual name, keep it on the downlow, as the kids were saying these days.
   "Well, His Majesty is in his office now and would like to say a few words to you, over." CAPCOM replied.
   "That would be an honour." The commander said, to which His Majesty would snap to attention. It was time. He looked over his notes, something about how important of an undertaking this was, congratulations about achieving this goal... He just needed a minute to breathe. His excitement was almost palpable, but he didn't want to show it too much.
   "Alright, go ahead, your Majesty." Yukawa said, now to him. Go time.

And then, he spoke.

"Hello, Ebashi-san, Kitamori-san, Akiyama-san. I'm speaking to you from the Imperial Palace over in Shinkyō, and this has to certainly be among the most important calls an Emperor of Daitō has ever had the pleasure to make. I really cannot put into words just how proud we all are of this achievement you have made. For every Daitōjin citizen, this has to be the proudest day of our lives, and for those all around the world, I'm sure they join with us to recognize what an immense achievement this mission has proven— will prove to be. Because of what you have done, the heavens have become more open than ever before, for as the number of nations who make this voyage from Mundus to Luna, the more our future becomes possible. As you speak to us from Shackleton Crater, it helps us to redouble our efforts to keep mankind's presence beyond our world permanent, as well as to bring peace and tranquility to Mundus. For one moment in our long and storied history as a species, we are one in their pride in this accomplishment, and one in our prayers that you will return safely home."
   "Thank you, your Majesty. I believe I speak for all of us in saying that it is a great honour and privilege for us to be here representing not only our nation, but all the children of Mundus with the curiosity to seek out what's out there... the children of Mundus with a vision for the future where we go forth, united in purpose, not divided by race, sex, or creed." The commander responded.
   "And thank you, Commander, for the opportunity to speak. I and everyone back home look forwards to see you return safely home, and we will watch your time on the surface with great interest. May the Kami be at your back."

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 10:21:11 AM »
A night worth remembering
Imperial Palace, Tenkyō, Daitō
UTC 2030
July 14, 2022

Another feast had come, supposedly in honor of the Gion Matsuri festival, though almost everyone knew it was just an excuse for an audience with the Emperor and to gather in one place. Eijiro knew that of course, after all, he had been in the court practically his entire life, but even so, he felt that it shouldn't diminish the experience whatsoever. Truthfully, he could never quite get used to these sorts of affairs, at least, within his position as Emperor anyways. As a child, he had enjoyed it, having the chance to spend time with friends from all across the Empire, but now? Now it was always "Your Majesty" and constant formality, as though they saw him less as a human and more of a god, which in all fairness many practically did, or at least as semi-divine. In time, he was sure he would get used to it, after all, it was just a change in terminology and people being even more polite than before, but it was nonetheless strange.

As he sat at a his table, overlooking the great hall, he counted at least fifty others present, likely more but he couldn't see them at that point. "Why did I ever agree to this?", he thought, as he listened to the musicians play their songs and watched the show which their music accompanied. He took a sip of sake from his cup as he listened to a conversation with Lord Muneyori Tomoshige, a Kakushaku[1] under the Kazoku system and a shō san-mi[2] within the court. While only a formal title, he was a senior counselor within the court, so his presence was usually welcome, and certainly Eijiro had to admit he enjoyed speaking to him.
   "Its almost hard to believe, Heika. Nearly two years and we're already out of it." Muneyori said from across the ways; he was seated just across from Eijiro, off to the right by a bit.
   "I only hope it was the right move, but if the people wanted it, then that's what we have to do." Eijiro replied; he admittedly wasn't too bothered by Daitō leaving the CSTO, but even so he was still cautious about what should be done.
   "The people?" Muneyori asked, an eyebrow raised. "The people, while important, don't drive the engine of the state. Besides, we all know you've grown disillusioned by the alliance, given that business last month."
With a sigh, Eijiro said "I suppose you're right, that did rub me the wrong way, so to speak." as he continued to watch the show, the fire from one of the braziers outside reflecting in his eyes. "But even so, lets be clear, the Empire-"
   "'the Empire cannot remained shackled to a corpse.' Yes, I know. Lord Tachibana said as much a few weeks back, when we had the chance to get together." Muneyori said, stretching his arms for a moment. "You're lucky to call him family, y'know."
   "In law, yes, but I suppose you're right." Eijiro admitted; yes, Eikichi spent his days as a painter, but he was certainly no slouch when it came to politics, having formerly served as State Minister of Foreign Affairs prior to his retirement. "He is certainly a wise man."
   "Aye. That he is." Muneyori said as he looked around the room. Someone was approaching, a servant or perhaps a lady-in-waiting, he could see that much, but for what he wasn't sure. Probably just to bring more drinks, if he were to guess. "Come to think of it, Heika, I haven't seen Her Majesty for a while. You have any idea what-" He said before cutting himself off as the servant spoke to the Emperor, her words hard for him to to hear simply due to the distance and the noise around himself.

"What is it?" Eijiro asked the servant who had bowed to him, turning to look at her with a gentle smile. He may have been her superior, but that didn't mean he had to be harsh. A servant would take to their job better when given respect than when treated poorly, after all.
   "I wish to report that Her Majesty requests your presence, Heika." She said, looking up, though she dared not make eye-contact as it was still deemed disrespectful.
   "Where is she, come to think of it?" Asked Eijiro before adding "Actually... Let me guess, the Oikeniwa[3]?", knowing well it was her favorite place within the grounds.
   "Yes, Heika." The servant replied. "I humbly request that your Lordship follows."
   "Very well, thank you, Yuriko." Eijiro said before turning back to Muneyori. "My apologies, Muneyori-san, but I fear we will have to finish this conversation later."
   "That's fine, take as much time as you need." Muneyori said before continuing another conversation with someone else.

Eijiro then stood from his table before following the lady-in-waiting, first leaving the great hall before walking north then east towards the garden; the moon hung on the horizon, appearing full and brightening the sky as fireflies danced in the air. Truly a most wondrous sight, that much he certainly couldn't deny. As the two walked, they occasionally passed a few guests or servants; it mattered little, for whether rich or poor they bowed in reverence for the Emperor. Up some steps and a dozen more meters to go, they were close. Eventually, he reached the garden, the servant waiting by the palace walls as he continued his approach. There she stood, looking out on the reflecting pool, her vibrantly-coloured jūnihitoe standing in sharp contrast to the darkness around them.
   "Mayumi?" Eijiro asked gently as he approached the bridge, passing by a wooden lamp. "I... Your presence is sorely missed." He said to no response. Something seemed off about her, though why, he wasn't certain, though it was something he would nonetheless try to figure out. He stepped closer, placing his arm around her shoulder before asking "Is something wrong?"
   "No, Eiji." Mayumi said with a smile; there was certainly nothing wrong, on the contrary. "Nothing's wrong, it's just..." She hesitated with a laugh, albeit subdued. Indeed, she seemed as though she were positively beaming with joy.
   "It's just?" Eijiro said, his expression soft yet indicating, in his own way, his curiosity as to what she had to say. He felt as though perhaps he could just about grasp an inkling of what was on her mind, but only just.
   "I... I'm pregnant."  Mayumi said with a wide grin, her joy palpable within her voice. But for Eijiro, for the Emperor, everything seemed to stop.
He felt as though a wave of emotions submerged him, like the shore at high tide; he felt confusion, worry, but most importantly, joy. He couldn't quite get the words out, his heart seemed to race faster than the swiftest steed as he tried to process what she had said. Was this some sort of prank? No, it couldn't be, he thought, there was no way.
   "A-are you sure?" He asked, his voice shaken even as he struggled to contain a smile. A simple nod was the only reply, but that was all he needed. He ran his hands through his hair as he thought of what more to say, but what could he say? He was simply at a loss for words, he was going to be a father after all, with all of the worries that came with it. Eijiro pondered, although only for a moment, his own father, how he had 'raised' him and how he wished not to be like him. He couldn't bear the thought. Never. Instead, the two embraced in the light of the moon, sharing a tender kiss as they prepared to face this, a new chapter in their lives, together.

Tonight was to be a night they would cherish forever.

1. "Kakushaku" translates roughly as Count in English
 2. 正三位, Senior Third Rank
 3. 御池庭, Lit. "Honourable Pool Garden"

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 03:55:24 AM »
The Superintendent and the General
Special Higher Police Headquarters, Kōjimachi, Sendō Ward, Shinkyō
UTC 1230
October 03, 2022

Jin Hiraishi, Superintendent-General of the Special Higher Police, had scarcely been able to rest for the better part of a year. With the assassination of Emperor-Emeritus Antei and Prime Minister Daisuke Hayata the year prior, all of his time had become dedicated to the investigation, for such a brazen attack was something he neither could nor would abide. "They" had struck against the Emperor himself, and as the old song went, the enemies of His Imperial Majesty were his enemies as well. Regardless, he felt like he had reached a brick wall in the investigation. He knew the Kokuryūkai had orchestrated the killing, yes, but there was yet a missing piece. He suspected, though it was probably unfounded... probably, that the CDP had been involved. It wouldn't surprise him; they claimed to be "pro-democracy" and "pro-liberalization", but those claims were but a façade. Thirty-five years of working among the highest echelons of the government taught him that they were just anti-YFD and would do anything, anything to damage their reputation if it meant they could win.

He sighed as he read through yet another report. Nothing new on the case of Emperor Antei's murder, and everything else was quiet. Too quiet, truth be told. His counterpart in Rokkenjima's INIS, Tamaki Kado, had failed to respond to the request to cooperate on investigating alleged Anausa infiltration of the Empire, which was a fair request, to be clear. His silence over the last months spoke far louder than words, as though there were something he was hiding. Certainly something to look into, he thought, as he received a call. Picking up the phone, he would answer.
   "What is it?" He asked as he closed the file.
   "Hiraishi-sōkan, Hokinoue-chūjō is here to see you." Jin's secretary, Hiroyo Haga, said over the phone.
   "Ah, alright..." Jin said, quickly putting away his files. He was, after all, meeting the commander of the Kenpeitai, so he wanted to make a good impression. Sure, he knew him from way back in the day, back when he was working counterespionage towards the end of the Cold War, but still. "...Send him in."

A few moments passed in silence, the air still, the sun shining through the curtain. The clock kept ticking, the only thing audible in the room, though just in the hall, footsteps drew ever closer. Before his guest arrived, Jin stood up from his desk, awaiting him. He looked out of the window, his office overlooking the Imperial Palace, now under renovation; the city below stretched out as far as the eye could see, great metal spires jutting out into the high heavens, sheathed in glass and glittering the mid-day sun. But of course, the office also overlooked the site of his greatest failure as head of the Tokkō; the place where an Emperor had died and where everything had changed. Perhaps there had been something he had missed back then, a clue that would've prevented such a grave tragedy as this. Whatever the case may have been, his thoughts were soon interrupted by the door swinging open.
   "Been a while, Hiraishi-sōkan." A man—Takahiko Hokinoue—said as he walked in, his tan uniform shone upon by the lights overhead. "Heh... Still a little strange, calling you that."
   "Hokinoue-chūjō." Jin said with a bow and a smile. "Please, take a seat." He said, motioning to a chair in front of his desk before he once more sat down. Takahiko obliged as he opened his suitcase before pulling out a few files. "You have what I asked you for?" He asked as he looked at the files he was pulling out.
   "Yep, all of them and more." Takahiko noted as he placed them on the table. "Y'know, it wasn't easy collecting all of this intel. One might think you owed me a favor after this."
   "Fair enough, General. If there's anything you or the Kenpeitai need from us, I'll do what I can to oblige."

Almost immediately, Jin began going through the files, at least eight in number, each given a name. Of particular note to him was one on Hisao Yanagisawa, Representative for Shinkyō's fifth district and the present head of the Constitutional Democratic Party. Naturally, that was the first one he opened, being drawn to it like a moth to a flame. Perhaps he was too suspicious of the opposition, even if they were a bunch of hypocrites at best and as a malignant tumor on the nation at worst. It was them that had brought ruin upon the Empire's economy back in the nineties, for which he was quietly thankful they hadn't regained the premiership since. But now, with the investigation trailing on, people would be pointing fingers in the upcoming election. The Yafukudō, his dear party, would undoubtedly be viewed as having failed the state if they couldn't bring the former Emperor's killers to justice.
   "Oh, you're gonna like that one." Takahiko said, looking up from one of the other files, having elected of his own accord to read through them as well. "It's got everything. Ties to organized crime, to the Kokuryūkai , his involvement in the killings—By the Kami, even ties to the killing of Prime Minister Fukumoto back in 2020 and terrorists in Tsukishimadō."
   "...it says here he's a Rokkenjiman asset." Jin said with a sigh. "We ruled that out ages ago."
   "What? That wasn't in the file I gave-" Takahiko said before cutting himself off, noticing the grin on his counterpart and friend's face.
   "I'm kidding, don't worry." Jin said with a chuckle. "Though honestly, anyone who thinks Victoria is nice enough to want to vacation there more than once has to be in bed with the Rokkenjimans."
   "Heh... I'll certainly drink to that!" Takahiko said with a laugh of his own. Both of them had been to the city before and didn't enjoy it... Then again, nothing did quite beat the Miyako Islands for a vacation, with its crystal-blue waters, white sands, and tropical climate.
   "In any case though, this'll be... quite the conference we're having. Emperor's summons and the like, so lets... try not to screw this up." Jin said, noting the trouble with the investigation over the last year. "Still, the evidence here is pretty ironclad, if I do say so myself, so I don't have any doubts."
   "Yep... At long last, this nightmare is almost over."

A few hours passed, but soon, the General would leave the building, returning to his own duties. Just a week to go and then it would begin.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 07:24:40 PM by Daitō »

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 06:01:04 PM »
The Conference
Imperial Palace, Sendō Ward, Shinkyō
UTC 01400
October 10, 2022

Eijiro had to admit, it was different being at the head of one of these meetings rather than merely sitting in on one. For a so-called "Imperial Conference", he really wasn't doing much. Just listening, and listening, and listening. He understood why this was the case; as the Emperor, he was supposed to remain above politics, it being beneath someone of his station as the direct descendant of Amaterasu, the sun goddess, in a line unbroken going back to when the world was young. Those were mere stories, of course. He knew it, but what harm did such stories do if it meant that stability was maintained? Thus, he saw no reason to speak during the proceedings, boring as they may have been. He watched as ministers and officials entered the room, taking their places at tables set to the left, right, and in front of him. With a nod, he beckoned for them to sit.

Even as Crown Prince, back when his father was Emperor, back when he was still alive, he had to admit these meetings could be quite dull. Yes, he was sitting in on them back then to "learn", but it taught him little more  than to maintain his composure and remain both silent as the moon and as unmoving as a statue. Instead, he'd use those times to think about the history of the room he was in. All of the great names and faces who had passed through there. All of the important decisions that had been reached. From the Keiyo Restoration and the annexation of Tsukishima to the decision to declare war upon Ardia and everything that came between and after. And here he was, sitting at the head of the Gozen Kaigi after nearly thirty years. The very seat where, back in 1945, following the cruel bombing of Hatsukaichi, the decisions were made that would bring about peace unto the continent. And all because one man, one Emperor who was once a pawn for those around him, spoke when nobody else would, breaking a deadlock which would've cost many, many more lives.

Of course, even if it was just another meeting, it was one which was of grave importance. The heads of the Tokkō and the Kenpeitai, Superintendent-General Hiraishi and Lieutenant General Hokinoue had made a major breakthrough in the investigation into the Kokuryūkai, one which was... disturbing in its nature. He'd already known about the Constitutional Democratic Party's issues, their ideology. Even the most ardent Sonyuist of the YFD would find them extreme, and to most moderates, the fact that they were even allowed to serve in the Diet was unacceptable. But to think they would go so far as to work with these traitors to not only orchestrate a coup, but to try to kill him when that failed? Now, they were practically enemies of the state, or at least, their leadership was. Everyone in the room agreed that, at a bare minimum, Hisao Yanagisawa, the leader of the party, should be arrested on the charge of High Treason and dealt with in such a manner as that which befit him. No. What they disagreed with wasn't what should be done about the CDP. Rather, they had come into conflict over what would be done afterwards.

"We can't just carry on like nothing happened." Said Goro Usatsuka, the President of the Planning Board[1], as he looked around the room.
   With a nod, Prime Minister Suketoshi Heishi said "I agree, but... I worry that whatever action we take, it will reflect poorly on the government and on the Yafudō[2]." as he rested his left arm on the table. "If we strike now, arrest Yanagisawa, then it will just seem to the people as an attempt to eliminate a potential rival."
   "If we do not act now, then it is only a matter of time before he—before the Kokuryūkai—strikes again." Okimoto Esashi pointed out, which was met with the approval of General Hokinoue. "He very nearly succeeded in claiming His Imperial Majesty's life, or have you forgotten?"
   "No."
   "Then why are you so resistant to arresting him while we have the opportunity?"
   "It's simple. The damage it could do would—"
   Superintendent-General Hiraishi spoke up, saying, "What the Prime Minister is trying to say, I believe, is that he is worried about the unrest that it will bring." as he looked over to the marshal. "Of course, that is something which we are prepared for. Though not, I will admit, as well prepared as we can be."
   "And what"—Suketoshi tapped his fingers on the side of the desk—"would you want in order to be as well-prepared for this unrest as necessary?"
   "Heishi-sōri, are you familiar, by any chance, with the Peace Preservation Law put into place back in '85[3]?" Hokinoue inquired.
   "Of course, everyone does. What about it?"
   "It needs to be revived. Updated for the days we live in, yes, but for the sake of stability, it should be adopted once more."
   Stunned by what he was hearing, Entarō Wakayama, the Commissioner-General of the Imperial Police Agency, said, "Absolutely not." as he pounded the table with his hand. "Yes, I realize that it worked while we had it, but certainly everyone present is aware of what it gave the Tōkko, the Kenpeitai, and even the Tokubetsu Keisatsutai? What you are asking for, Hokinoue-chūjō, Hiraishi-keibu, is a return to the era of Hisayuki Sonyu, to rule through fear."

By the Kami, if they were in a sinking boat, they would probably argue about who would be bailing it right until the moment they went under. In other words, they were either going to be at it for hours or, in the worst case scenario, they would never come to an agreement on this. Certainly, Eijiro recognized why General Hokinoue's proposal was met with such a strong reaction; like Suketoshi had said, practically everyone knew what it was. It made it a criminal offence to form an association with the goal of altering the kokutai, which was more or less the most that people tended to know about it. What it really did, which was something many had forgotten over the last ninety-seven years, was that it could be used to brand any opposition as working to alter the kokutai. It would, suffice to say, set a precedent which Eijiro was conflicted on. He wanted to preserve the democratic system in place, yes, but on the other hand, he wished to see the violence which had marked the first year of his reign never reemerge. But of course, he couldn't say anything. The thought was, or so he thought, practically impossible.

Suketoshi stood up from the table and turned to Eijiro. With a deep bow, he said, "Heika, although I recognize that in doing so, I am breaking a tradition held since the days of Keiō-seitai, I, your most dutiful servant, humbly request that you break this deadlock and make a decision on what our course is to be."

Everyone was quiet then. Not since the days after Ardia rained down atomic hellfire upon Hatsukaichi had anyone requested that an Emperor speak during a meeting of the Gozen Kaigi. The last time it was even seriously considered was back in 1971, during the Tatenokai Incident. But now, Suketoshi had really done it. Despite being a moderate, he genuinely believed that the Emperor should take more of a role in leading the state, at least during times of crisis, so this was hardly something he wouldn't do, to be sure. After all, it was Hisayuki Sonyu himself who, in 1945, asked Eijiro's great-grandfather to do the same. Yet Eijiro, for all of the things he had done that went against convention, joining the navy, fighting in an active conflict, participating in the Mundus Games twice, was still a man who valued tradition. Even when the security of the state required it as it did now, he felt conflicted. With a sigh, the Emperor stood up from the table.

All who were assembled had turned their eyes to him, their gaze unwavering as spoke up.
   "Very well. The concerns raised by Wakayama-chōkan with regards to the proposal raised by Hokinoue-chūjō and Hiraishi-keibu are noted. Indeed, indeed, I can see why such worries are justified, after all, under the laws issued in my great-grandfather's name, the Tokubetsu Kōtō Keisatsu and Kenpeitai were granted a position which far exceeded the duties they were given, granted carte blanche to prosecute any form of dissent." Eijiro acknowledged, glancing around the room. "However, there are times when certain measures which, though perhaps having the potential for injustice in the wrong hands, are nonetheless necessary to ensure that peace is restored and that further bloodshed is avoided.

"Hokinoue-chūjō, Hiraishi-keibu, Ishihara-keibu, Makimura-chūjō" He said, looking to the heads of the four main intelligence agencies within the Empire. "I am authorizing you to prosecute those responsible for the attacks on the sixth of Rokugatsu[4], 2681 and the eleventh of Jūnigatsu[5] within the fullest extent of the law. Particularly, target . Heishi-sōri, I request that, once the elections have come to an end, you and the Yafudō as a whole work to reinstate certain powers granted by the 2585 Peace Preservation Law, granting the intelligence service authorization to fully stamp out these... terrorists once and for all. When that is done, that law will be abolished, make no mistake. This is only a temporary measure to ensure that this particular threat is crushed."

With that, the Emperor went silent, returning to his seat so that the conference could proceed. There was some murmuring among those assembled, after all, a nearly eighty year precedent had been shattered before their eyes. Some supported the move by the Emperor to speak up, including, of course, the Prime Minister, as well as Marshal Esashi and the various heads of both the Imperial Armed Forces and the various intelligence services. On the other hand, figures such as Goro Usatsuka as well as Ministers Haruno and Besujima and Commissioner-General Wakayama, were more critical of the move, since they wished to avoid such a drastic step to the best of their ability. Perhaps it was justified, perhaps not. History would prove to be the judge in that regard. What was clear, however, was that finally, this crisis was almost over. By the end of the day, the Gozen Kaigi would come to a final decision, one based on the Emperor's directives although in a more restrained manner.

1. Planning Board — The Planning Board is the bureau responsible for submitting recommendations to the Prime Minister on matters of national importance, and coordinating their implementation.
 2. Acronyms — "Yafudō" is the Onishi-language acronym for the Yamato Fukkatsu Dōmei party.
 3. Dates, Part One — In this case, Hokinoue is referring not to 1985, but 2585 on the Imperial Calendar, which corresponds to 1925 on the Gregorian Calendar.
 4. Dates, Part Two — "Rokugatsu" is the Yamatojin Onishi name for June.
 5. Dates, Part Three — "Jūnigatsu" is the Yamatojin Onishi name for December.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 07:18:22 PM »
The Captive
Special Higher Police Headquarters, Kōjimachi, Sendō Ward, Shinkyō
UTC... Uncertain
October 24, 2022

This was it, thought Hisao Yanagisawa as he glanced around the vacant, dull-gray cell he now found himself in. There was no way he was getting out of here a free man, now that the Tokkō had caught him. Nearly two years since that fateful day in November, when he made a decision which would, as it seemed now, cost him everything. Frankly, were it not for it happening to him, he might've laughed. He, a man with no experience in intelligence work, had evaded the thought police for two years, while most rarely made it three months, or say they said. Perhaps they were getting desperate? No, why would he kid himself so? They would never have made the arrest if they weren't already certain of his guilt. That was just how the legal system worked, he knew it, his prosecutors knew it, everyone knew it. And the thing about that? They were correct. He was guilty, guilty of loving his country, of placing its interests above everyone else. Even if it meant knowing that for the Empire to survive, it needed different hands on the wheel, so to say. Someone more easily controlled, who wouldn't take the nation down a path nobody could foresee.

He could hear footsteps drawing near, muffled by the walls which isolated him from the outside world. Out the window, small as it was, he could see that it was at least daylight out, though beyond that he really couldn't say. Beyond these muffled footsteps, the only noise that he could hear was the faint hum of the lights above which shone down brilliantly, though it was quite uncomfortable how bright it was. Probably by design, were he to guess. Still, it could be worse. He could've been handed over to the Kenpeitai, and if the rumors were true, this cell would've been as a palace by comparison. The door swung open, and in entered two men, one older, the other younger. Though he knew not the younger of the two, the other wore a face he recognized.

"Let me guess, my 'essay' still wasn't good enough?" Asked Hisao with a sigh as he rolled his eyes. He'd been forced to write and rewrite an account of how he had become involved in, quote, "dangerous ideologies" over the last couple days that he had been held here, and every time he was done, it wasn't good enough for his captors. He wasn't sure why, probably just to screw with him.
   The elder of the two men, Jin Hiraishi, replied, "Actually, no. We're done with that. However, I do believe that Inspector Kishida"—he glanced over to his protégé—"has a few questions for you."
   "Thank you, sir." Kishida said with a bow. "Yanagisawa-san, while you have admitted to being involved with the ideology of the Kokuryūkai, we need specifics. For example, and to be clear, it is advisable that you answer truthfully, where were you on the day of the attack, back in June of last year?"
   "You really think I would know that? It was ages—"
   "Don't give me that." The inspector cut him off, placing his hand against the wall of the cell. "Someone like you has records of practically everywhere you go, not to mention, it being such a major event, something you'd at least have some memory of."
   "Fine, if you must know, I was at home. With my family. Watching His Imperial Majesty's speech."
   After a second, Jin pressed a button on his phone, playing a recording of Hisao which said, "Yes, Ijima-chūi did his job to the best of his ability. Killed both Hayata and the Emperor-emeritus. I think the Emperor was also among them, but the feed cut out before then. Now we've just gotta deal with who comes next, assuming our 'friend' really did get taken out as well. Oh, and Yaegashi-taishō? Take care of Ijima, better to tie loose ends."

"Where did you get that?" Hisao asked, looking over to Jin. He was still calm, he knew where this road led. It was a sacrifice he was willing to make; even if he and the kokuryūkai failed, the changes that the Empire was certain to make would be enough. In a way, he won, or so he told himself. There was no getting out of this now.
   "Let's just call it... hm... Divine intervention." Kishida stated.
   "You aren't even going to deny it?" Jin asked Hisao.
   "I meant every word of it. Founding and leading the kokuryūkai? ordering the attack back nearly two years ago? Ordering the death of His Imperial Majesty? All of it, I meant.
   "Frankly, Hiraishi-keishisōkan, if I didn't do it, then somebody else would've eventually. Don't pretend to me that it wouldn't be the case. Have these walls not held many over the years who would've sought to change the Empire, for better or for ill? Was it not your beloved Yafudō which first came to power through the blood of those who Hisayuki Sonyu thought endangered the future of the Empire?"
   Jin glared at him, feeling nothing for him but the utmost contempt and disgust. "You've just admitted to treason, you do realize that?" He asked him, his voice sharp and his fists balled.
   "Treason. Yes, that is the word you use for it. Not patriotism, not following in the example your forebears set ages ago. But treason?" He waved his hand. "Nobody questions beyond what someone did. Never why."

For a moment, Hisao looked down at the floor. It mattered little what he said now; he was finished. Even if there was some doubt in their minds, his pride wouldn't allow him to grovel, to beg for his life like some common criminal. No, he would face what was to certainly be his death with some dignity, something he was sure they would not afford him. History would be his judge, and if it meant he was to sink to the deepest hell for his sins, then so be it.
   "I'd say that's all we needed, wouldn't you say, Kishida-keibu?" Jin asked Hisao, who nodded in agreement. "Well, in any case..." He said as he and his compatriot walked towards the door, his head held high as he moved slowly before opening it. "Yanagisawa-san, while I cannot say with any true certainty how your judge will rule, I would not expect it will be a positive outcome for you. I would offer you the best of luck, but frankly? Someone like you doesn't deserve it. You have three days." He stated as they left and the door slammed shut. That was it. A man's fate sealed, and with it, perhaps this case would be over.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 10:01:01 PM »
An Absence of Mercy
Warning: This post contains: violence. If this bothers you, turn away now.
Somewhere in Daitō
UTC... Uncertain
December 27, 2022

Cold air blew across the snow-covered ground, covering the tracks of any who might've come or gone. Since the end of his trial, Hisao hadn't had contact with anyone, save for those assigned to guard him. That, and to pry what remaining information they could out of him, often by force. The cuts and bruises across his body were a testament to that; he tried to resist, but even the strongest mind couldn't last forever. And now that he had received word of his sentence, it was clear that today would be his last. The Kenpeitai were swift in exacting justice, even by Daitōjin standards. Of course, they'd lie to the public, say he died a month after the fact, but this was to be it. Why else would they have dragged him out here in the blistering cold and tied him to a post? Certainly not because they were out of space. He was, after all, the only prisoner in this compound in the far north of the country, or at least, that's where he guessed he was. Being blindfolded for every moment he was outside unsurprisingly made it difficult to ascertain his location.

Someone could be heard approaching, the sound of snow crunching underfoot, before stopping close to him. Hisao had a vague idea of who it was, though any certainty had long gone out of the window. Even the possibility of a quick death was uncertain now, but judging by his treatment thus far, it was unlikely at best. Perhaps, he thought, he could say something that would ensure that, at a bare minimum. It was a long shot, but what other options did he have now? Suddenly, the blindfold was removed, and he saw what was to come.
UTC 1436

Six men stood in a column ahead of him, each brandishing a rifle, bayonet affixed. Hisao couldn't see their faces; unlike him, they were fortunate enough to have protection against the biting cold. Off to the side, holding the blindfold he had been wearing, was another man, much older than the others. His face was worn down by the years, probably somewhere in his late 50s or early 60s. It took him a moment, but eventually, he realized who had flown all the way in to see him this final time. It was Takahiko Hokinoue, Emperor Antei's devil in the flesh. He'd heard rumors, stories in hushed tones of what he was capable of, but now, he was going to get to experience it first-hand. He watched as Hokinoue turned to his men.
   "Today, you face a traitor. Someone who deluded many in our beloved land into trusting him. A man who tried to kill our Heavenly Sovereign, whose orders claimed the lives of Emperor Antei and Prime Minister Hayata." He said before looking over at Hisao. "A disgrace to the Empire that deserves no mercy." He paused. "If you have anything to say, anything more to confess, then do it now."
   Hisao was surprised he was getting that opportunity. As a traitor, or so they called him, he didn't expect they would provide him the chance to speak. But if it meant he could earn a swift death, rather than what was almost certainly coming, he would take it. Deep down, he knew better, so though he wanted to plead for his life, he instead said "I... I only wish to say that though yes, I sought His Imperial Majesty's death, and I know now what that means for me, I did so under the orders of another. Someone at the very top, who even you cannot touch now."
   "I know. But that won't save you." Hokinoue said before taking a rifle from one of his men. "Goodbye, Yanagisawa." He muttered before charging at him.

Hisao could feel every sinew torn, every bone shattered, every nerve-ending feel as though it were on fire. His eyes watered, almost glazed over, and his heartbeat rose rapidly. He wanted to run, though he couldn't. He couldn't even muster the strength to curse his tormentors. All he could do was scream. Scream and choke on his own blood, the same which now stained the snow beneath him. In his final moments, he thought, perhaps, even the deepest level of Jigoku would be preferable to this. Unfortunately for him, even more than it already was, this experience would continue for some time, until at long last, he no longer drew breath. Eventually, he was gone.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 10:48:18 PM by Daitō »

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 08:50:37 AM »
Dealing with the Devil
Yasutomi, Shinkyō Metropolis
UTC 0846
December 28, 2022

Yasutomi was a small town some 26km to the northwest of the Shinkyō. It had first been settled somewhere around 830 years ago as a community surrounding the Onshoji temple before growing into a stop for some on the Tōkaidō Road which linked what was previously Ashina and now Shinkyō with the old capital, Tenkyō. At a population of just over two thousand people, it barely qualified as a village, with many map barely even giving it any notice. Indeed, for most of its history, the only people, other than those who lived in and around Yasutomi, who had even heard of the city were tasked with collecting taxes from it on behalf of one lord or another. Following the devastation of Shinkyō during the Ardian bombing raids, known as "Operation Taberna", however, the Heishi family, whose ancestors had once ruled Daitō and whose distant relatives had even ruled, for better or for worse, in Toshikawa for a time, had elected to make the town their new home, constructing a fine manor in the Imperial Crown style upon a hill overlooking Shinkyō.

From here, the capital seemed small, yet also from here, an Empire could be ruled. Not, perhaps, officially, but generations of Taira had resided here now, steering the course of the Empire from the shadows. And now, Sachio Heishi was about to make it official. He was set, later today, to meet with a number of allies within the government, many of whom owed their positions to the vast wealth and influence which the family held within the country, in order to set into motion a chain of events which would finally cement the position of the Kazoku and their allies, not the Emperor nor the common man, as the true masters of the Empire. But that was still hours away. For now, however, he was content to enjoy the view, that and a good book. One of his Great Grandfather's, in fact.

Not long afterwards, as he turned from one chapter to another, was he finally interrupted by a door to his private study opening. In walked one of two men, that being his trusted aide, Fumimaro Konishi. The other, Lt. General Takahiko Hokinoue, remained out of sight for the time being. Following yesterday's events, he had wished to speak to him, seeing as this made the two men even. A decade ago, then-Colonel Hokinoue had earned his favor, which had in turn fast-tracked his career within the Kenpeitai. As a result, he had owed him a debt, one which, by silencing someone like Hisao Yanagisawa, had been finally been fulfilled. Now was the time to look to the future; Sachio believed, perhaps, there would be a place for the general in his regime, and wished to discuss that as soon as possible.
   "Geika, Hokinoue-chūjō is here to see you." Fumimaro said with a bow before backing out. At the same time, the general of the Kenpeitai entered the room.
   "You summoned me, sir?" Hokinoue asked with a bow before entering further.
   "Ah, Hokinoue. Please, take a seat." Sachio said, motioning to one of the chairs in the room. Naturally, Takahiko took a seat; he was ostensibly in the company of friends, even if only in name. "I take it our mutual issue has been resolved?"
   "Yes. I will admit, it was a little difficult to get there, but by the end, I'll say the results were worth it." Takahiko said with a nod as a butler brought the two a tray with tea. "Oh, thank you." He said with a smile, taking one of the cups. Once he had left and the door had been closed, they could speak more freely. "Yanagisawa's fate was befitting someone like like him. Traitorous dog."
   "And what of his executioners?"
   "They're loyal, don't worry. Besides, they know they could just as easily face the same fate, if not worse, if they dare to go public about it."
   There was a moment of silence after the general's last comment. Naturally, Sachio had to take in what he had been told, but he also wished to finish his tea. However, after that, he would finally speak up, saying "In any case, I was wondering, given my plans, I was wondering if you'd reconsidered my offer?"
   "Oh? You mean the one that would have me leave the Kenpeitai and... Serve as Minister of Justice? Yeah, I'm still considering it." Takahiko admitted. "I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd have more oversight of the intelligence community, but... I'd be leaving the job I love."
   "Then allow me to make you a better offer. If you agree, I will use my influence to get you ennobled. You'd be one of us, Hokinoue-chūjō."
   "And if I refuse?"
   "You won't." Sachio said matter-of-factly. "Because if you do, I'll leak your crimes to the press. Not in my own name, of course, I'll use a proxy. Before you know it, you'll be hauled off before an international tribunal for violating the MCUR. Not to mention your family will forever know shame because of you." He continued, his gaze affixed on him as he placed his cup on a table between them. "I want you on my side, but..." He said, reaching out and placing his hand on Takahiko's shoulder. "...if you're not with me, well. I think you get the rest, don't you?"
   "I s-suppose I don't really have a choice, do I?" Takahiko asked rhetorically. In all of his years, he had only known two people who scared him: His father, a raging drunkard who would often beat him for the littlest of things, and now Sachio Heishi.
   "No. You don't. But if you're gonna make that decision, now's the time." Sachio noted. "So what do you say. Are you in?"
   "...Yes."
   "Good. I'll see you this evening." Sachio said, getting up from the table and leaving the room. Just like that, Takahiko Hokinoue, the Head of the Kenpeitai, had betrayed the country he swore to protect, and for what? A fancy title and his own reputation? He wanted to justify it as being to protect his family, but deep down, he knew he was in too deep now. At that very moment, the Devil of Emperor Antei felt ill.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 10:48:06 PM by Daitō »

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 10:28:41 PM »
Guardians of the Celestial Throne
Kamikitazawa, Shiraizumi Ward, Shinkyō Metropolis
UTC 1316
December 28, 2022

Okimoto Esashi, the Chief of Staff of the IDAF, entered a dimly-lit room in the General Headquarters of the Imperial Daitōjin Army. Therein, he was met by his subordinates in the army and navy, as well as a number of other high-ranking officers and Imperial loyalists. Each and every one of them was aware, in some way or another, that today was one which would shape everything. After all, in but a few hours, a meeting would be held between Chancellor Sachio Heishi and a number of his allies, one which, if their suspicions were correct, would lead inevitably to him formalizing his role as not just chancellor, but Regent of the Empire, as the Shimura had centuries ago. This was, in a word, unacceptable. They knew, each and everyone of them, that as a result, he would have to go.

There was a time, Esashi thought, when Sachio was a friend, or at least someone who could be trusted. Back in the days of Emperor Antei, he was a genuinely positive force for the country, but times changed, and so did he. Perhaps he had always been this way, and just hid it from everyone else. Some part of him wanted to avoid what was coming, but as he approached the table at the opposite end of the room, he knew there was no going back. He was tasked to serve as a Guardian of the Celestial Throne, both in his current role and before, when he served as the commander of the Imperial Guard. He swore an oath to protect the Emperor, to aid the Empire, and to destroy any traitors to it, and he wasn't going to break that oath. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

Once he reached the table, sword, though sheathed, still in hand, he turned to look upon the men and women in the room, the finest soldiers and children of the Empire in a generation, and took a deep breath. This was it. One wrong move, and it would be their heads, or worse. There was a risk, not entirely inconceivable, that some sort of uprising could occur, spearheaded by loyalists to the Chancellor, at which point they would not be looking at a repeat of the 18th of January, but of the Boshin War. Okimoto did not wish to see that. After a moment, with one hand on the table, he began to speak.
   "It has become clear, now more than ever, that Chancellor Heishi intends to seize power for himself. Having gained the backing of much of the Diet, against the will of the people, he will, in the coming days, make his move on the Emperor." He began, looking over the room. "Thus, we—" he motioned to those assembled with the hilt of his blade "—must be prepared to fight, as our forebears in the Righteous Army did eighty-six years ago." He paused, clearing his throat. "I realize, that if we fail, we will all be branded as traitors, but let it be known that our ancestors will look favorably upon us. But even so, we must act." He stated, striking the table with his free hand. "As Keiyo-seitei said when he yet walked the earth, 'Should emergency arise, offer yourself courageously to the State; thus guard and maintain the prosperity of Our Imperial Throne coeval with heaven and earth.' Now is the time to offer ourselves up." He noted; he had long memorized that quote, alongside a number of others from the former Emperor. "Remember, as you give your orders, we are not moving to seize power for ourselves, but to safeguard the Empire, to preserve the Kokutai, and to complete the National-Imperial Revolution. More importantly than all of that, we must remember who we serve. Tennōheika Banzai!" He said, ending in a shout. The cry was repeated by others in the room, and when it was done, they sang a familiar song, though with a slight difference.

Under the spring sky of the Tenshi Restoration, the man who marshals a righteous cause; in his heart is the march of a million troops, ready to fall like ten-thousand sakura blossoms.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 10:47:55 PM by Daitō »

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2022, 12:24:59 AM »
The Imperial Rescue
Imperial Palace, Tenkyō
UTC 0230
December 29, 2022

It was early in the morning, on the night of the 29th, when they came to the Imperial Palace. Members of the Imperial Guard, in their fine blue-and-red uniforms, awoke the sleeping Eijirō, informing him that he was needed in the capital immediately, though for what, they did not say. All they said was that taking Suzaku One—that is to say, the Daitōjin aerial executive transport—was not an option, which clued him in, if only vaguely, to what was going on. Something was going down, and he couldn't be seen leaving the city lest it arouse suspicion. Still, he had to admit it was exciting, even if it pained him to leave his family behind for the time being. At least here, they would be safe should anything happen to him. Before he knew it, he was in a motorcade speeding for the nearest naval station.

Upon reaching Naval Station Tenkyō, the Emperor and a few advisors, notably Baron Kanetake Hayashi, Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal, passed through the checkpoint unimpeded. Evidently, someone had arranged for guards loyal first and foremost to the Emperor to take up these posts for the night. Nonetheless, after a few more minutes, the car finally came to a stop near the docks, where the IDN Hikōkyōi, the Imperial Yacht, was waiting for them. It being a military vessel, even if only by a technicality, whenever it was in Daitō, it had to dock in such military facilities. Even so, its departure this early would inevitably raise suspicion, but it was better to be found out about later rather than sooner. Aboard the vessel, though it was difficult to tell owing to the darkness, was Admiral Taichi Inokuchi, the base's commander, who had been waiting for them.
   "Care to explain to me why I'm out here at..." Eijirō checked his watch "...3:02 in the morning, Admiral?" he asked as he boarded the vessel.
   "Heika." Admiral Inokuchi said with a bow before motioning towards the door. "Please, allow me to explain indoors."

Once inside, more specifically in the ship's lounge, the two men could talk. Even now, the ship was underway, no doubt for Shinkyō. Given it's top speed, assuming they were really "gunning for it", as they say, it would be about seven hours before they reached the capital, so around nine in the morning. Plenty of time for the admiral to explain, Eijirō figured. Then, assuming he could, maybe he could rest a bit, given that today was clearly going to be a long one.
   "Okay then, talk." Eijirō commanded; even if it was for a good reason, which still remained to be seen, he did not appreciate being woken up so early, especially in this fashion.
   "Chancellor Sachio Heishi..." Admiral Inokuchi poured himself and the Emperor a glass of champagne. "...plans to usurp you in the coming days. Before you ask, we have records of his plans thanks to a... friend, we'll say, in his inner circle."
   "Hokinoue."
   "Correct. While he may in theory have violated the Stability Preservation Act, he has done so in order to gain access to Sachio's inner circle. As a result, he was privy to a meeting held last night at the Chancellor's residence, a meeting which, thanks to him bugging the place when he first met with the Chancellor, we know more about." The admiral said, handing a glass to the Emperor before taking a seat across from him. "I will admit, we've known for some time that something like this was being planned, which is why, and don't say—
   "—that you're crazy? I'm sorry, Admiral, but how it looks to me, you're effectively kidnapping me."
   "That was not the intention, sir." Taichi pointed out. "As a matter of fact, you're being rescued."
   "Rescued from what, Inokuchi? A palace like no other, where all of my needs are met, and the only cost is my freedom?" Eijirō joked; he knew from day one that he was living in a gilded cage, as his father had been, and his father before him. "Believe me, I'd love to get rid of Heishi, but... even if we've got evidence of his treason, it doesn't change the fact that the House of Peers largely supports him."
   "About that." Taichi sighed. "How do I put this... The garrisons in and around Shinkyō are to mobilize in about... an hour-and-a-half, I think?"
   "What?"
   "I know how it sounds. Believe me, we wouldn't be considering it if there was any other way, but it was either this or risk chaos on the streets. Rest assured, we are not repeating the 18th of January." Taichi explained. "We just need your assent to overthrowing the Chancellor, or should I say, Regent and his cronies."
   "I... I'm gonna need to think about it, if you don't mind." Eijirō said, ushering for the admiral to leave. Between the mess that was going on in Rokkenjima and now what was clearly a repeat of the 18th of January Incident, it was clear East Ardia was going to be in for an awful start to the Imperial Year 2683. He felt as though he had no real option; if he said no, then the Chancellor would get his way, and as a result, he would undoubtedly be isolated from everyone who wasn't approved by now regent of Daitō. In effect, he would cease to exist, as far as the world was concerned, save for the rare appearance. But if he agreed, it could either lead to a dictatorship, or, if his voice would be heard, then Daitō could truly flourish. He wished he could talk to Mayumi about this, or Hidehiko, or even Hiraishi-keishisōkan, but given the nature of this voyage, he was going to be isolated for a while.

This was going to be a long trip.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2022, 06:27:11 AM »
Nishiki no Mihata
Kamikitazawa, Shiraizumi Ward, Shinkyō Metropolis
UTC 0939
December 29, 2022

As Eijirō emerged from the automobile just outside of the IDA's GHQ, he thought to himself of everything that had led up to this moment. From his enthronement in 2020, to the murder of his father in 2021, then his exile to Tenkyō earlier this year, and now here he was, about to take the reigns at long last. In less than a month, he would be thirty, and yet he had seen more in just under three years than many Emperors would've seen in their entire lives. He acknowledged, privately, that compared to his forebears, he was nothing. By the time he was his age, Emperor Keiyo had brought the Empire out of its feudal past and remade it into a state which could challenge Imperial Ardia. How could he possibly compare? The only chance for a legacy—the only hope for a better tomorrow—was to lend his support to the seigi no gundan, the "Righteous Army", and strive to remake the Empire.

He couldn't help but recognize the similarities between the Kunan Restoration and this. After all, though it wasn't January yet, a blizzard had struck Shinkyō the night before the uprising. Of course, there were more obvious comparisons, namely the use of the name Righteous Army and the slogan Sonnō Tōkan"Revere the Emperor, Destroy the Traitors—, which he noted came from the Go-Kaiyō-era Sonnō Jōi slogan which called for the expulsion of the "Barbarians", or in other words, foreigners. Some even carried flags designed the same as that used by said Righteous Army, alongside newer ones. But if there was one thing that was different, that was going to be different, it was that, unlike his Great-Grandfather, he would not be pawn. No. He would take a leading role in the so-called National-Imperial Revolution preached by the YFD's Seitōkyōgi faction. The time to act was now.

During both the Keiyo and Kunan restorations, the Nishiki-no-Mihata flag had been flown by the victorious forces, showing them as having Imperial assent to their actions and marking any who fired upon, or even so much as opposed, those who marched underneath it as a traitor. During the Boshin War, its appearance at Fushimi had sent the forces of the Shimura Bakufu into a route, and reverence for it was still taught in every school to this very day. In theory, it would have a similar effect, something which would be amplified by his speech. For now, he would be ushered indoors in order to meet with the leaders of this plot. He was going to meet with Okimoto Esashi and Hisayoshi Kitabatake.

The offices of the GHQ were abuzz with activity as men and women coordinated the operation presently underway. Normally, ignoring the Emperor's presence was deemed improper, disrespectful, but given the circumstances, it was a formality that was, ultimately, an unnecessary inconvenience. As far as Eijirō was concerned, they were just doing their job, which was respectful enough in his eyes for the time being. He just needed to do his. Eventually, with some difficulty owing to a bottleneck in one of the halls, he and his staff would reach the room where he was supposed to meet with Esashi and Kitabatake. He hesitated for but a moment before a guard slid open the door, as now, more than before, he was reaching a point of no return. With a deep breath, he entered the room.
   "Heika." Okimoto said as he, Hisayoshi, and everyone else in the room bowed. "Welcome back to Shinkyō." He said with a smile.
   "I would offer my thanks, but given the circumstances, I suspect we don't have time." Eijirō replied with a nod. "What's the status on the Chancellor?"
   "Arrested, Your Majesty." Hisayoshi reported. "Still in Kamikitazawa for the time being, but he and a number of his co-conspirators have been captured."
   "Then who's left?"
   "A couple of Peers and Representatives, our friend, Hokinoue-chūjō, and..." Okimoto began to speak, though he struggled to admit it.
   "...And?" Eijirō asked.
   "Jin Heishi." Answered Sadazane Konishi, the Deputy Prime Minister, who was still nursing a broken nose from a fight in the Diet a week prior. "He was in on it."
   "Are you absolutely certain?"
   "Yes, sir." Jin Hiraishi, the chief of the Tokkō, said from a corner of the room. "The files are on the table, but in his claims after the incident back in 2020, he was only out to help his father."
   "Suketoshi must be devastated... But ultimately, at the end of the day, a traitor is still a traitor." Eijirō sighed; he wished he could do more to help him, but to go against the laws of the Empire would be to delegitimize the incoming government. "Make the arrests. In the meantime, I have a speech to prepare for."
   "One more thing, Your Majesty." Hisayoshi said, trying to get the Emperor's attention. When he turned to face him, he asked "About the Nishiki banner, do we have permission to fly it?"
   "Of course." Eijirō stated before leaving the room. He needed to rehearse ahead of his address in a few hours, one which would be televised and broadcast not only in Daitō, but across the globe as well.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 07:44:36 AM »
Within the Inner Circle...
04 May, 2023
06:37 PM
Imperial Palace, Sendō Ward, Shinkyō

It was a warm spring evening in Shinkyō, a city which, according to some, never slept. Of course, most major cities could be given the same epithet, but few lived up to it quite like her. As Eijirō sat at his desk, he could see the sun setting over the sea and between the many skyscrapers and high-rises that made up its cityscape. Despite being so close—less than a kilometer away—it was as another world; he couldn't just leave the palace, not without an escort anyways. It wasn't something he wasn't used to of course; while he had been able to enjoy it during his time in the navy, before then, it was rare that he didn't have some sort of bodyguard nearby. Such was life, he figured, as he turned back to his paperwork. It had been a somewhat busy day, after all, but he was finally wrapping up, and an hour or two early at that. Tomorrow was going to be different, though. He had a meeting with the Privy Council, which was why this particular document was of such importance.

It was no secret that, during the "Three Day War", the council had failed to secure a majority vote on granting him the authority to take an active role in the prosecution of the war. Of course, Eijirō had personally been opposed to the war from the start, but the diet had voted for it, whipped up into a nationalistic frenzy following what was, regardless of his misgivings on the reaction, an act of war. He couldn't blame them for believing he was in support of it; due to the circumstances surrounding Ofdensen and the Chrysanthemum Throne, his hands were tied. If he had vetoed it—something which no sitting Emperor had done since the days of Keiō himself—he would've been setting a precedent for imperial interference in what was ostensibly the will of the people, and that was ignoring the possibility that it might've clued others into that which they were not meant to know. He had hoped, back then, that by taking that authority, he could at least mitigate the worst excesses of the conflict, make it little more than a show of force. In his mind, a ground assault, such as that which was undertaken by the marines, was unconscionable. It made the process of making peace, as Prime Minister Konishi had confided in him a few weeks prior, far more difficult than it need be.

Eijirō glanced at a photo he kept on his desk, one which showed himself, his father, and his younger brother together at Mount Haku. It was nearly twenty-one years ago now, yet he remembered the day as though it were the back of his own hand. He remembered what his father had told him, that "Good medicine is bitter to the mouth." Based on what he had read of this dossier, sent to him by Superintendent-General Jin Hiraishi, that old proverb was once again proving true. To think someone so close to him was involved, and that he had recruited members of the Privy Council... It all finally made sense. Sure, he would've stood to gain so much had the plot to end Eijirō's life back in 2021, but he wanted to believe that he was uninvolved. Now, however, there was overwhelming evidence linking him to Sachio Heishi and a number of other kokuryūkai conspirators. He knew what had to be done.
   "Uematsu-tai-i." Eijirō said calmly as he placed the dossier back on the desk before looking to one of the guards.
   "Yes, your Majesty?" Natsuki Uematsu, a captain in the Imperial Guard, answered as he briefly entered the room.
   "Do you know if Prince Hidehiko will be attending the Privy Council meeting tomorrow?"
   "Yes, sir. Prince Hidehiko will be attending." Natsuki replied, perhaps slightly confused by the question. "If you don't mind me asking, why do you ask?"
   "No reason, we just have some... catching up to do and I wanted to make sure."
   "Vey well, sir." Natsuki said before stepping out of the room.

Once Natsuki had left the room, Eijirō's attention once more turned to the photo. Seeing it now, knowing all that had happened, he felt... different. Disgusted, perhaps. Disappointed, most definitely. He was certain that his father was turning in his grave, knowing that he was responsible, and yet, he didn't know if he could stomach the thought of his dear brother rotting away in a prison somewhere, if not facing worse. He was, after all, complicit in attempted regicide, and by extension, he was culpable for his father's murder. Perhaps he hadn't thought it would go that far. Perhaps he had hoped to convince him to abdicate. That didn't matter now, and despite the love he had for him, there was nothing he could do to save him. With a scowl on his face and a sigh, he took the photo and placed it face-down. Even if it included his brother, it was now quite likely that those remaining kokuryūkai agitators had to be removed from any position of authority, one way or another.

Tomorrow was going to be a very busy day.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2023, 08:54:05 AM »
As Snakes in the Grass
05 May, 2023
02:56 PM
Sumitsu-in Building, Imperial Palace, Sendō Ward, Shinkyō

The building was abuzz with activity as servants and aides, officers and soldiers, and many others made their way through. Today was, after all, the day that the Privy Council met for the month, at least unless an emergency meeting were to be called. That wasn't going to happen, more than likely, but one could never be too certain these days. Eijirō, for his part, was still getting ready for the meeting; it was expected that he look not simply presentable, but that he looked his finest, after all, he was going to be meeting with members of the aristocracy and the political elite. From the medals he had earned to the uniform itself, he would go into this properly dressed. Eventually, he would make his way towards the meeting room, where he would see plenty of familiar faces. Of course, the members of the council were already inside as was expected, but on the "security detail", if he could call it that on this day in particular, were officers of the Kenpeitai, now under the command of Lt. General Kohei Fukuda, as well as members of the Imperial Guard and the Tokkō, including Superintendent-General Hiraishi. With a knowing nod, the two made eye contact for a moment before Eijirō entered the room.

The door creaked open at 3-o'clock on the hour, and so, Eijirō, "Emperor Banwa" as he was to be recorded in the history books, made his entrance. Today was a day to remember, though those assembled, which included Prime Minister Konishi and a number of other ministers as well as the permanent members of the council, largely did not know it yet. Truthfully, Eijirō scarcely knew then the impact this day would have, but it had to happen. As sure as the sun rose and the water flowed down to the sea, he had to make his move. Clearing his throat, he spoke up as he took his place at the head of this body.
   "Before we begin, I would like to speak to you on the nature of loyalty." He said, looking out at the various ministers and councilors. "I'm certain all of you have your own idea of what that means, whether it be to the state, to some personal ideal, to one's family. However, it is important to be loyal to the right things, to the right people." He looked at his brother, who sat nearly directly across the room from him. "My friends, I am here to tell you that there is a tumor which has taken root within our government: treason. It is as a malignant tumor, one which must be excised before it can infect the nation at large. So grave is it, however, that it has continued to fester, and now, it has spread into this very chamber." He continued, placing his hand on the table. "I am well aware that among you, there are those who collaborated with Sachio Heishi and the kokuryūkai. I know that those among you who did so are responsible for refusing to grant me the powers I possess by right during a time of war. And I have evidence linking many of you to the assassination of my father and the attempt on my life."

The room went quiet after Eijirō made his claim. Many looked around the room, trying to figure out who was a traitor and who had remained loyal. After a few moments, however, Eijirō once again spoke up.
   "I am willing to offer you a chance to retain your dignity, if only you will admit your wrongdoing." He said, and yet nobody spoke up. "I had hoped that, at the very least, my brother would repent, but I suppose that won't happen. For all your studying of history, Prince Hidehiko, you never could learn not to target your Emperor, could you?"
   "This is absurd." One of the other councilors spoke up. "You genuinely think he would seek your death?"
   "It's true." Hidehiko said, looking down at the floor. "I knew what Sachio was planning, that he wanted you off the throne... and for me to take your place." He added before saying "At the time I first began working with him, I had no idea that he would resort to such a method and I had planned to try and convince you to simply step down, however, on the day of the attack, I was made aware by Heishi-san. Ultimately, at the end of the day, I have betrayed your trust and I have betrayed our people... as have Kiyokazu Maeda, Tadahiro Hori, and Tomosaburō Matsura."

The three men who Hidehiko had mentioned all tried to protest, but their protestations would, in large part, fall on deaf ears.
   "If I may, would you please turn your attention to the dossiers on your desks. Inside, you will find all of the evidence tying these men—and my brother—to the conspiracy against me." Eijirō said as the three men, as well as Prince Hidehiko, were taken away by the guards. "As for the rest of you, while I understand if you have loyalties elsewhere, while you serve the government and the people of Daitō, understand that you must swear your utmost loyalty to the state and to them. I don't expect you to agree with me on everything, and if need be, I expect you to speak to me about your concerns, but under no circumstances will treason be tolerated. With that being said, let us begin."
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 09:01:12 AM by Daitō »