Author Topic: 2021 Soft/Hard-Power Study  (Read 322 times)

Offline Nova

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Heyra / Vinitsia
2021 Soft/Hard-Power Study
« on: May 30, 2022, 02:24:15 PM »
Hello,

Let us do the 2021 edition (as the year has passed and forget that I haven’t done the 2020 edition due to inactivity during that time period last year) of this most serious study (2018 available here, 2019 there and here are the results of 2018 and there of 2019). You can vote a maximum of two times if you have a secondary (and one time if you have only one main nation). E.G. : Kris has 3 nations, however we consider that Cantabria being on Uí Ceinnselaig’s claims, it doesn’t count. There is a field which ask you to note the name of the nation in the perspective of which you are filling this form, this field is mandatory. Also, when you have to note the nation from which you do the perspective of, I invite you to fill it (with 10, so like that you're ensured that this nation doesn't have a 0 in total).

Important, before filling those, make sure you understand what soft-power and hard-power are. And make sure to have an IC perspective. You may for instance really dislike a player OOCly, but removing the personal relationship you have with the player, and when fully IC, what would leaders of your nation say?

Copy/paste of a short definition of soft/hard-power (by Dave):
Soft power is influence that a country has by virtue of its culture and enterprises. Hollywood, Burger King, Rihanna’s music etc. all are a part of American soft power. Their cultural influence is accepted by the rest of the world willingly.

Hard power, on the other hand, is power exercised through military or economic means. It involves directly coercing an entity to act according to one’s desires often against their own wishes. Sanctions on North Korean and invasion of Iraq are all examples of the United States of America exercising hard power, and invasion of Ukraine, failure of russian one (future will tell us, but crossing fingers).

So, 51 nations to note (a record yay!). Question is, for the soft-power, “If this nation asked you to give it a free cookie, how likely would you accept it?”: https://forms.gle/xfkxixxBZk5jfd1e8

For hard-power, “If this nation asked you to give it the last cookie you've got, for free, and threatened you of invasion if you refused, how likely would you accept it?”: https://forms.gle/YAfTRUV2f9xRLqVk8

Let the fun begin.

In the end, like the other years, I’ll redact a report that I'll publish in The Defense Journal, putting forward the various scores and imagining reasons why.
Republica Senină Vinitsìa
NationsStates | Factbook | Newspaper | Communiqués

Offline Nova

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Soft/Hard-Power Study
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2022, 01:19:37 PM »
Precision: if people want to update their answers, they may do so by submitting a new form and I shall take their latest form (for the concerned nation) as such.

Offline Nova

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 09:54:09 AM »
Polls closed with 39 respondents! Finalizing the calculations to organize the results, have some new and nice graphics planned, and am redacting also IC explanations (which of course aren't necessarily aligned with OOC decisions; or take hold about everything that happened IC or may have biases because I don't know everything nor can be accurate on everysingle nation and events that happened to it).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 10:13:56 AM by Nova »

Offline Nova

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 12:09:09 PM »
Results with fancy graphics alongside IC analysis is available here.

Simple spreadsheet are available here for softpower and here for hardpower.

Thank you everybody for your participation! Really interesting IC perspectives, a couple surprises for sure. And from the results really glad to observe that there was no OOC pollution or abuse, but well all IC.

Offline Nova

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 08:41:05 AM »
Precision: for all people saying the survey wasn't made seriously by the people filling it etc. Stop criticising it just because you're not at the rank you expected/wanted. It's not because your nations have big militaries or super developed (in your mind) that you have such soft power or hard power, if you don't RP it or engage with other people, it's your doing. If you were in the TOP 3 you'd shut your mouths. If you got an issue with it, how it is organized, calculated etc. contact me directly and talk as to suggest me how to improve things for next year. It represents lots of work to do. Otherwise shut your mouths and cope. Your ranking is your responsability. That's just immature behaviour and falling into a victim behaviour from people who just seems like to complain about me OOCly, specially immature from people who claims to be officers in the region. Specially since I'm not on the regional Discord server for obvious reasons from lack of immaturity from those very same officers when it comes to moderation and impartiality. Talking in the back of someone is always pathetic.