Author Topic: "The time has come" the Fox said "to talk of many things."  (Read 9430 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: "The time has come" the Fox said "to talk of many things."
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2022, 12:13:40 AM »
Junichiro spoke through the door at first, "A warrant, for what?" he asked with genuine shock before adding, "and under what authority?"

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2022, 09:33:01 PM »
David and Michelle both let their hands stray to the blue pistols holstered at their waists, just a precautionary measure.

"By authority of the Crown sir I have a warrant to search the premises and secure items relating to your time as Lord High Steward." David said "Please open the door."

In Valtheim Commander Melanie Armitage was feeling like it was groundhog day, yet again she was stood in her courtroom with Serenity and Lieutenant Nell Foster stood in front of her and yet again the subject matter was Beatrice Anselmo and the Andean Genocide, Beatrice herself was sat at one of the tables.
"I want to be very clear before either of you say anything." Melanie said "That this had better be the last time that I see this matter on my docket."
"We think it will be this time ma'am." Nell said
"Let's hear it." Melanie said
"Your Honour the prosecution continues to hold as per the established and undisputed facts of the case that Beatrice Anselmo who was, by virtue of the terms of the Sakura-Umeko Accord, Commander in Chief of the Toshikawan military during the latter part of the Andean Genocide failed to discharge the responsibilities required of her under the Uppsala Convention and that as a result of that failure civilian deaths and other breaches of the Convention occurred. That was and remains the basis of the charge against her. The last hearing on this case it was argued and evidenced that the defendant was suffering from Parkinsons and so she was found guilty on grounds of diminished responsibility. It now appears that everyone involved both prosecution and defence has been misled as new evidence disclosed shows that the defendant was given drugs to simulate Parkinsons. The implication being that she was of sound mind and judgement at the time of the genocide..." she glanced at Serenity

"However neither myself or Lieutenant Foster can prove beyond reasonable doubt that Beatrice Anselmo was or was not drugged at the time." Serenity said "This inability would raise significant hurdles if this went to a judicial appeal." she took a breath "Therefore we are submitting a joint motion to the court, to put an end to this matter once and for all."
"Details?" Melanie said
"Given the new evidence we submit that the verdict of guilty on grounds of diminished responsibility be quashed and replaced with a straight guilty verdict with a life sentence." Nell said "Given the unusual nature of the circumstances at this point we submit the sentence be served under house arrest."
"Really?" Melanie said
"Your Honour Beatrice Anselmo is guilty of many things in relation to the genocide." Serenity said "But she is not a belligerent party, she is not a conspirator, she is not the guiding mind, what she is guilty of are crimes of negligence and omission. House arrest is more than suitable for her to serve her time."
"I assume you can find a place Lieutenant?" Melanie asked
"Yes Your Honour." Serenity said
"Ok subject to that provision of residence which I will stipulate must be within Achkaerinese borders I approve the motion." Melanie said "A full list of conditions will be provided to you before the end of the day. I will also be making a recommendation to Admiral Rankin that you are both given some leave. Court adjourned."

Once Melanie had walked out Serenity walked over to where Beatrice sat "It could have been a lot worse." Serenity said "Shall we get you to your new home?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2022, 04:35:11 AM »
As he opened the door he sighed, "You may search as I've nothing to hide, however, all records during my tenure as Vicegerent should be with the Imperial Archives. I've a fresh pot of coffee in the kitchen if you should desire a drink," he continued as he returned to his living room seat. "What is this all about?"

"It could have been," Beatrice said with little protest, "and I think that would be nice. You have to promise me though," she took Serenity's hand, "and please, don't lie to me, don't say something to make me feel good in the moment, but years from now, when I am frail and on the edge of death, you'll find me a way home. I don't wish to die in a foreign land, and while there are people here who I love with the whole depths of my heart, I wish to be upon Rokkenjiman soil when I die, I wish to be home. Now I don't plan on dying anytime soon and I hope, with those poisons out of my veins that I have a long life ahead, but you understand me yeah? I'll live here, but see that when my day comes where my soul is weighed, I'll have at least departed this realm from my own soil. I'm sorry I got dark there, let us return our focus to the present."

Once the news reached Charles he grinned, perhaps chuckles were heard, but this was the moment he had long awaited. "Guard, I require my attorney, and perhaps fortunately for you, my days in your care will be coming to an end in the near-future. Worry not, for I will remember the moments we've shared together. I'll send you a fruit cake for the holidays, and when I am vindicated and arise the democratic ranks to rule over Rokkenjima, your family will have little to worry about for their lives, and the lives of their children, as you've entertained me so thoroughly. I've an appeal to file, so see that my attorney is shown in with little wait."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2022, 01:00:12 AM »
"As we said sir we're looking for items relating to your time as Lord High Steward." David said
"As for why." Michelle said "You served as Lord High Steward between September 2017 until the post was abolished so you had oversight of Beatrice Anselmo's medical care when she was diagnosed with Parkinsons."
"Only she never had Parkinsons, so she was effectively being drugged on your watch." David said "Only question is was that with your knowledge or not?"

Serenity knew better than to make promises she couldn't keep "I can't promise that." she said "I can try but ultimately that's for another court hearing many years in the future. For now let's get you out of here." that was easier said than done given the public interest in the case and then having to get Beatrice tagged but a car parked around the back of the court building was more than suitable for Serenity to drive them away in once the various hoops had been jumped through.

Ivyfield Priory

Ivyfield Priory was one of the Royal properties that was on the 'retreat roster' as the head of the household called it, not in the middle of town, a place where members of the family could unwind. There were a few such places dotted around Achkaerin, plus one in Revana, one in East Moreland, one in Clysperis and one in Rokkenjima. This one sat about fifteen miles outside of Ivyfield, it was a reasonable sized house with spacious grounds. "Welcome to Ivyfield Priory." Serenity said as they got out of the car "It's got everything you need, your own clothes, your own space and there's an organ. There is some fine print, all visitors need to be cleared and you can't go beyond the grounds without approval. But you do get a set of keys." she smiled as she took Beatrice inside "Your bedroom's top of the stairs on the right and the living room's just through there. I did take the liberty of getting Asuna and Lucius here, so freshen up, go see your kids and I'm making dinner."

At the Marble Palace, Nettie walked into Peter's study just as the Emperor put the phone down. "That was Major Parker." Peter said
"It happened?" Nettie said
"Yeah Charles just filed his appeal." Peter said
"Didn't waste any time." Nettie said
"It'll be a few days before a hearing." Peter said, he sighed "How are you doing?"
"Well let's just say annoyed." Nettie said "Charles likely rigged the election that made me Premier, I can hardly claim I had a mandate of the people."
"And now we think Charles is lining a run at that up." Peter said
"Emerson's on it." Nettie said

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2022, 01:59:29 AM »
"I only ever had access to those records as provided by Mr. Ofdensen in regards to the condition of the Empress. If there was anything nefarious taking place, I would be the last to know. Toward the later days of my tenure I was little more than a place holder; I had a title, but increasingly more of my duties were funneled through his office. Have a look, but I'm afraid I don't think I'll be of much help."

"It just will not do as it's not sat upon a hill, I jest of course," she said with a smile. "Truly, thank you," she continued, pulling Serenity in for a surprise hug, "I expect you to visit when you can, we've so much to catch up on and even more time to make up for. I know I've said and done things to you and Peter that I might never be able to make up for, however, I think we both know that I'm going to try nonetheless. Chalk it up to my stubbornness if you wish, but for so long I wasn't me, I in many ways became an instrument to be used and I've got to find a way to undo all that was made possible because of that. Do you think I would be allowed to start some sort of foundation, something to give back to the causes which I fought so hard for prior to what he did to me? What do we do of his plans now, surely whatever he has in mind for the future cannot bode well for anyone upon Mundus, we've indeed entered a dangerous era of containment."

"First thing is first though, please let them know I will be ready in five. It's been a while, but after dinner I'd like you to join us all for a performance. It's been some time since these fingers have danced and I do wish for you to be here with me for it. You're family and, while I once gave up on you, no matter the reasons behind it, we're going to make up for it."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2022, 02:26:30 AM »
Now alarm bells were ringing in David and Michelle's heads, having permission to search but Koizumi's comments were of concern. "Let's try that again." David said as Michelle  started to search "You were Lord High Steward from September 2017 until the position was abolished, Charles Ofdensen is already in prison at that point so he has no office from which to give or take anything, which again takes us to you having supervisory authority over the medical treatment of the Imperial family, which means either you authorised the course of drugs that led to Beatrice Anselmo's simulated Parkinson's or you know who did."

In Seaforth Julian was reading a book in the Castle Rhodes library, this wasn't somewhere he'd been able to spend a lot of time despite now being in the family, he put the book down and smiled as his wife Harper Rhodes walked in. "You're not going to like this." Harper said
"What is it?" Julian asked
"The day you're interested in is when Beatrice visited Evanthe and Joshua here." Harper said "I took a look in Joshua's journals subject of discussion - an international viceregent."
"Of course." Julian said "An odd decision at the time but also an outside variable, a safeguard." there was something else that came into his mind as he understood Rion's concern but he'd deal with that if became pertinent.

Serenity giggled "How's your Lloyd Webber?" She asked as she shooed Beatrice up the stairs before going to find Asuna and Lucius "Five minutes." she said washing her hands before setting to work on the food. She wasn't about to let Beatrice dwell on Charles... well not yet at least, tonight was more important than that it was a reunion and that was something meant to be joyful not frightful. She sighed "Asuna relax already will you? She's the same as always, just need to get her spark back."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2022, 11:09:35 PM »
"If I tell you anything further," he sighed, "I'm a dead man. Do you honestly believe his influence faded just because he left office? He's installed an entire mechanism throughout the government that will see his vision manifest into reality, sure I held a title but there were handlers in place to ensure that it was his vision which persisted. You even being here today increases the chances that, tomorrow, I may not wake up. So have a look around, talk to my staff, my fate is sealed either way."

"Rusty, but I believe I can manage. I'll be ready in three," she continued as she made her way to get ready. As she got prepared she hummed an old tune which had been stuck in her head for days, she couldn't quite remember where she picked it up but she thought it would sound quite pleasant on the organ. "The night ahead will be perfect," she said to herself in the mirror with a smile, "for the first time in a while." When she rejoined them she knelt down on one knee and took Asuna and Lucius in each arm. "It's so good to see you again, my, how you've both grown! I've missed you more than you'll ever know."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2022, 07:20:39 PM »
Serenity wasn't a top class cook by any stretch of the imagination but she was solid enough to make sure she and her girls ate right, it was the foundation of the Marble Palace  the place was a home first and place of governance second, so here she was ear buds in, music playing, moving around the kitchen sorting dinner out. As she worked she smiled a little for a very long time the two longstanding files on the Uppsala books had been the Andean Genocide, courtesy of all the appeals and counter appeals, and the Cultist Genocide the latter now being the only one remaining of the two, it felt like an ending, like a resolution to have cleared the Andean Genocide off the list once and for all... well almost the specter of Charles Ofdensen now hung over them, though for once it wasn't menacing, not an executioners hand wielding the blade, well at least as far as Serenity was concerned, he was up to something that was for sure but this time there was a sort of logical progression to the machination, it was more of a chess game this time and that meant it could be extrapolated, it could be countered, it could be beaten.

Washing her hands as the meal cooked she grinned a little it had a nice feel about it, the evening, it was important that tonight was about the trio of Anselmo's she'd for one night push Charles out of the equation, there was plenty of time to handle that part later on. When the chorus of timers beeped she went to work plating up the meal, nothing to fancy just her daughters favourite spicy meatballs, a meal that had it's own charm and there was a nice lemon cheesecake for later. With dinner plated she poured herself a glass of lemonade "Dinner's ready." she called before sipping her drink.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2022, 04:20:23 AM »
Joined together at the dinner table Beatrice sat and anyone could see she was in a better position than at any point in recent times. She looked to Asuna, “I’ve been keeping tabs on you, I hear there’s a Tytorian boy you’ve been seeing?” and, with a swift blush, Asuna glared, “we don’t need to talk about that at the dinner table! Later, I promise, but not now.”

“Fine, later then,” Beatrice said with a sigh. “For now there’s a fine meal before us, and I’ve plans to test my skills on the organ following. It’s been far too long and I long to play. Thank you, Serenity,” she said with a smile.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2022, 06:13:18 PM »
"Don't thank me yet" Serenity said meaning that this whole mess wasn't over yet and the price of Beatrice's 'freedom' was going to likely be very high "But please do continue to tease Asuna about the boy in question... she doesn't tell anyone anything about him." despite the positivity she was putting on Serenity's mind was clicking through the gears, Charles represented something not seen on Mundus in decades, a credible threat - it was all well and good to point at the old suspects but dealing with people who only dealt in their own fictional narratives was simpler they made mistakes far more easily, they played the short game. Charles was playing a long game and using events to shape it, he had an understanding of how Rokkenjima worked and that made him far more dangerous than every single dictator and usurper out there and on the pages of recent history, it was always harder to counter the enemy within.

"Not too spicy I hope." Serenity said as she spotted Lucius reaching for the water "Astrid and Lisa love them."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2022, 02:13:06 AM »
"No," he said with some struggle, "just fine. I'll be fine."

"Now I can't go without addressing it but," Beatrice sat her drink down, "I read the old Imperial Palace has been restored, and that it will be utilized again. I like this," she paused, "you've plans to move out and they're solid, and while I can't enjoy the grounds of Pyrena, I'd like them to be open to your father when he's in Rokkenjima. He's got his toys in the basement and he knows the halls well, but my, by the Seven Divine, there is no mother more proud on Mundus than me. You've even inherited my penchant for inflaming the Dartfordians over Jenka-Jenkinson, but please slow down and enjoy your childhood before you have to make the hard choices, yeah?"

"I know," Asuna said with a grin, "but I've got to make decisions too. I'm stepping into some big shoes, I have to make where I stand well known. But we've navigated the Dartfordian issues well, and if I give some boomers a heart attack or two, I've got to be doing something right, right?" "Pace yourself, plenty of time to learn and make mistakes ahead of you," Beatrice sighed.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2022, 04:22:53 AM »
A couple of weeks later it was D-Day, the day of Charles Ofdensen's appeal hearing, the square outside the court building was filling up with reporters, news crews, members of the public and quite a few peaceful protesters it was without question a powder keg. On the periphery of the square Rion Ayanami was getting out of her car, despite it being her job she hated days like this, Charles was playing a very dangerous game, so dangerous that in her judgement and that of the Emperor he had to be stopped before he got the chance to enact whatever plan he was bringing to a boil and that meant a violent and permanent solution, the lack of jeopardy for Charles in the courtroom meant that he'd be a free man later that day which meant that as far as Rion was concerned he'd join a former self proclaimed President of Phuebra and President Kravec on the list of people assassinated as a result of operations she'd overseen. It was a simple plan - checking into a hotel across the square was Lucinda Hadley, a sports bag over her shoulder, once she had the key in her hand she went up to the room on the seventh floor, once she was inside she closed the door behind her and walked over to the window it offered the desired vantage over the square, she opened the window and then opened the sports bag, the bag contained a disassembled sniper rifle which she set about assembling before taking position. "In position." Lucinda said over her earpiece.
"Stand by." Rion said

It was a pretty basic plan, Lucinda shoots Charles made to look like revenge given Lucinda's association with the former Empress of Rokkenjima but basic worked best, no need to over complicate anything.

Elsewhere in Valtheim a two car convoy was making its way through the streets, the front car a marked police car led the car flying the Rokkenjiman flag on the bonnet on its journey from the Rokkenjiman embassy to the Marble Palace, this was Crown Princess Asuna's convoy she'd been partaking in seasonal Rosari celebrations, driving the car carrying Asuna was Colin Quinn and sat in the back with Asuna was Gemma Sanders, it had been a good day so far. Then it happened, the police car was rammed off the road by a lorry coming from an adjoining street.
"Hang on!" Colin said sharply turning the steering wheel and taking the car down a side street.
"Control this is Crystal." Gemma said over her com "Police escort taken out..." she looked over out of the rear window "Frack... car in pursuit currently on Housesteads lane."
"Classic bloody ambush drill." Colin said "What do you want to do?"
"Don't need a firefight in the middle of the city." Gemma said "Quill Corner."

Quill Corner was the name for a monument to the great Achkaerinese writers, it was in truth several sculptures clustered together but it was also on the edge of Meadow Park which in turn put it as the crow flies about ten minutes on foot from the secondary entrance to the Marble Palace grounds, it was across fields but right now that wasn't  a concern. Colin skidded the car to a halt and opened his door, drawing his sidearm he used his door as cover, while Gemma looked at Asuna "Get ready to bolt out of your door, it's a run up the hill, stay low and don't stop for anything." she said before opening her door and taking position herself. "Crystal to Control." she was back on the com "Watership Down, repeat Watership Down, Fiver running for home." she took a breath as the pursuing car came to a halt and almost instantly came the sound of automatic gunfire.
"No pleasantries how rude." Colin said
"Automatics." Gemma said "Who the hell are these guys?"
"No clue." Colin said
"Covering fire." Gemma said, they started to lay down fire "Go!" Gemma ordered looking at Asuna.

Asuna bolted out of the car and ran, it was only when Colin and Gemma stopped to reload that things got tricky, bullets ripped into the car pinning the two Justicars down as three armed men hopped the wall and took off after Asuna.
"So much for making a stand." Gemma said
"Go I've got this." Colin said, Gemma nodded and as Colin laid down more covering fire she sprinted after Asuna, she'd heard a lot from Lucinda about the role she held and  while Gemma didn't understand all of it yet she did know her responsibility was protecting Asuna, a steady aim helped as she planted two bullets in the back of the first one, then she found herself fighting at close quarters with the second, she knew she had to finish this quickly but that was easier said than done. Then came the scream, the third man had caught Asuna and was now carrying her kicking and screaming back to the vehicle. Maybe it was that turn of events but Gemma managed to get a grip on her blade and drove it into her opponents chest and then neck, as he went limp she scooped her pistol up off the ground and ran after her protectee but it wasn't enough a bullet slammed into her shoulder and with Colin still pinned in place all either of them could do was watch as Asuna was abducted.

At the Marble Palace Peter was stood in his study with his defence advisor and close friend Celine Tyler, the news had just broken that Charles Ofdensen's conviction had been quashed. "I keep finding myself wishing this is a nightmare." Peter said "How has it come to this?"
"I know what you mean."  Celine said just as Peter's phone rang, displaying Asuna's name.
"Hello." Peter said answering it
"I have Crown Princess Asuna" a male voice Peter didn't know said
"Who is this?" Peter said "Prove it." there was a sound and then a scream
"Satisfied?" the man said "If anything happens to Charles Ofdensen she dies."  the call ended, Peter and Celine exchanged a glance before Peter suddenly collapsed, his head connecting with the desk as he went down.

Back outside the court Rion was waiting for Charles to show himself, it wasn't likely to be that much longer then just as the doors opened she got a phone call and her eyes widened.
"Stand down." she said
"Say again." Lucinda said
"Stand down." Rion said "Akane has Asuna, we kill Charles and Asuna dies."
"How the..." Lucinda said
"I'm finding out." Rion said

It was an hour later Rion was stood in a treatment room at the hospital, Gemma and Colin were resting after surgery, Celine was standing against the wall and then in walked a very shaken Serenity
"How is he?" Rion asked
"Comatose." Serenity said "Compound stress brought on an MS relapse, blow to the head did the rest." she looked at Gemma and Colin "You both ok?"
"Well I'm pissed off." Gemma said "But I recognise who took her - Jason Renback."
"As in Arovium Liberation Army, attempted to kill Beatrice but shot Lucinda?" Serenity asked
"Yep." Gemma said

"Why take her?" Celine asked
“Initially  leverage, puts a gun to our head guarantees he gets  out of the country.” Rion said “But also think about this in a couple of weeks or so Asuna turns eighteen, at that point if anything happens to Evanthe  Asuna can step up.”
“So Charles needs Asuna off the board.” Serenity said “But needs her alive for now as insurance.”
“Most likely yes.” Rion said
“Where is he?” Serenity asked
“On a flight to Port Luca.” Celine said
“I don’t think he’ll have Asuna with him.” Rion said “Keep distance from it.”
“Find her and figure his endgame out before we get there.” Serenity said “But if a hair on Asuna’s head is harmed…”
“I know.” Rion said
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 01:50:14 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2022, 03:27:36 AM »
Asuna had finally found herself in a position where she could at least partially collect herself, these people reminded her strongly of the sort who had taken her before. This time, however, she was not the young child she had been then and knew the stakes of the situation. They had naturally her phone, however, they neglected to remove the smart watch from her wrist; whether that was sloppiness on their part or they hadn't noticed it was not important to her. Using it in class to fire off messages without her teachers noticing she opened her messaging app in a moment where eyes weren't squarely upon her and began writing with her finger on the display. By this point she had become accustomed to forming messages without glancing at the screen, after pulling up Gemma's name she sent as many details as she could.

"took my 4n, using watch dont msg back, just passed theatr goin south, pls take care of mum. will let u know when safe to txt bk"

She looked tensely around her after hitting send, "I don't think they noticed. good," She'd have at least somewhat of a line to the outside world, at least until her battery inevitably died, and for the first time she found herself anxious at the 87% battery life of her watch. Naturally they'd ditched the phone, but asking papa for the cellular plan on her watch which, at the time, was cited as "an excessive expense" was finally paying for itself. She'd take the time as their attention was distracted to turn off as many features as she could to extend that battery life.

When another moment presented itself she messaged Thomas: "im good, dont worry, not my 1st time. txt when safe again."

"Keep the Crown Princess close, but don't be too rough with her, I don't need any trauma from her prior experiences damaging her to the point she's less than useful to my designs," Charles said into the encrypted line. "She's a captive, yes, but she was never someone who brought me pain, so I can afford to show a bit of gentleness toward her, let her be comfortable so long as she doesn't cause any trouble. Now if it were Beatrice I'd say sow her mouth shut and stow her in the trunk. Give the girl a bottle of water, tell her to keep quiet, only take action to correct her if she forces you to. We'll speak again in an hour."

Upon landing in Rokkenjima Charles received a warm welcome from a group of supporters, though there were also many on hand booing loudly. "I know, I know," he said motioning with his hands for the crowd to calm down. "I'm not everyone's favourite person, but there's been a deficit of truth which has harmed not only me, but each and every one of you. Today marks a re-introduction and I hope, with time, we can grow to trust one another. We have many enemies out there," he said pointing to the sea, "I'd like to think we shouldn't be picking fights here on our own soil. I'm sure you can understand that I need some rest after this tiring ordeal, and I look forward to speaking with you this coming Saturday where I intend to share more with you. Until then Islyna bless you, and may she guide us all unto her providence."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2022, 12:23:41 AM »
"You do realize all I have to do is walk into Imperial High Command and I'll be able to get her back, I'll make them wish they never laid a hand upon her, damn it you're supposed to defend my interests and here we are, my daughter is in unknown hands, and you persist to stand in my way? How can you betray me like this?" Lucinda again would push Beatrice to the ground as she tried to make her way to the front door and, in a moment uncharacteristic for her, tears fell from her eyes. "Do you think I want to keep you here, to keep us here? Don't you think I want to be out there tracking her down, tearing the hearts out of the chests of those that have hurt her, those who have hurt you? Damn you and your stubbornness, damn both of them!" she said as she pushed Beatrice to the ground yet again, only to lose her footing and fall on top of her.

With her face inches away from Beatrice's she sighed, "Damn you," she said meekly, "you're such a fool when your mind is made up and determined on a course of action but if I'm going to protect you truly I have to keep you here. And you see the irony in my station, that what we both wish to do the most, much like the old days where you would be aloof while I had someone's blood on my hands in your name, but this time is different," she said as she placed her hand on Beatrice's cheek. "If you leave you'll break the provisions of your sentence and then I can no longer protect you, and I love you too much to let that happen. So please," she said turning away for a moment, "sit down and shut up for once, you lovable fool," she continued as she wiped a tear from Beatrice's eye. "I hurt too, I want to be out there getting her back to you so that not one more moment has to pass whilst you're apart, but these are our roles, these are our stations, and while you may no longer be the Empress of Rokkenjima, that never broke our bond or my duty to you. Do you think I would stop you from leaving if it wasn't in your best interests to not leave?"

"...no, you wouldn't," Beatrice said. "Exactly, just as much as you love to hear me say yes to you, you have to respect when I tell you no all the same, yes? Bea....you know my heart is yours, and though we've ended up with husbands I still remember that day so many years ago, we promised that we'd always be there for each other, that we'd see no harm come to one another, we knew our hearts belonged to each other but it could never work out, so we lived the lives others expected us to. I promise you though that you're my Empress in more ways than one, and I will always do what is necessary to protect your interests. Do you trust me?" she said as she stared into her eyes.

"I do, fully," came Beatrice's answer, before locking her lips with Lucinda. "Bea, I was not...expecting that," she said as she got up. "I'm sorry I'm just, I don't know anymore, it's all so confusing and overwhelming and you're my strength right now, the one who is keeping me going, from making mistakes. I love you too but I can't break Alex's heart, you're something I can never have," she continued as she placed her hand on the back of Lucinda's head. "Thank you, for making the decisions I can't make, for always being there. We'll get her back and, maybe, we'll get to explore a life together...." "Stop," Lucida said, "Focus on Asuna and once she's back, we've lives before us to figure everything else out. Now go and sit in that chair, and don't make me body you again, yes?" came Lucinda's reply.

"As you wish," Beatrice said as she lifted herself up and sat in the chair. "Tell me, what really happened in that room when I was washing blood off your hands?" she continued. "You're already sitting so good, it all began when we received faulty intelligence on the location of...."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2023, 10:04:42 PM »
Despite all modern technology it was quite comforting that some things were still done with a pen and paper in this case Nettie drawing up the Anselmo family tree, or at least the part that was relevant in these circumstances, she was joined by the head of royal security Alexandria Savage known simply as Alex to her friends, the two of them actually sat at the breakfast bar. Serenity was behind the bar getting herself a cup of tea. "There it is." Alex said as Nettie wrote down Lucius's name
"There's what?" Nettie said
"Path to endgame." Alex said "Trust the person who tried this once."
"So?" Serenity asked sipping her tea
"Discredit or invalidate." Alex said "Beatrice is already out due to all the Andean Genocide stuff so the next in line is Asuna, no real skeletons of any sort there so she gets to be the get out jail free card, which because Rokkenjima is a matriarchy leaves Kyoko, Evanthe, Euphemia and Cecelia, four obstacles he'll have plans for them. Take each of them out of the equation and..."
"You force the Diet's hand." Nettie said "Full equality must extend to the Chrysanthemum throne."
"Exactly Charles can't bring back the Federal Republic even if he wants to so he has to be more subtle, use Rokkenjima's democratic apparatus." Alex said "Get to the point where Lucius has to be heir or the line ends. And then fall guy as regent so that when Lucius has an accident a few years down the line there's someone to go down for it and then with a heavy heart Charles takes everything."
"Pretty good long game." Serenity said "Guess we'd better do something."
"What did you have in mind?" Nettie said
"Sunstrike our embassy in Rokkenjima, start slow and careful no noise but there's going to come a point." Serenity said "And when it does I want everything ready to go. We trust Forrester right?"
"Alex Rowe does." Nettie said
"Good enough." Serenity said "Talk to the DNSO, I do not want Charles able to play in our backyard."

Rion meanwhile was busy running the search for Asuna, the good news was that they had the watch signal, the bad news was that it only gave a general area as a location. However there were advantages to that, even with just a general area it was possible to determine probable routes due to the speed and distance the signal traveled, at present the signal was still moving east of Valtheim and going at a fair lick, which told Rion that the car was on a road, knowing about the watch meant that she was happy to be the lioness waiting to pounce, she could influence how this game of cat and mouse went hopefully in a way that posed minimal risk to the public. She glanced to her right as Major Matthew Kirby came alongside her.
"So your two dead kidnappers." Matthew said "Want to guess what they used to do for a living?"
"Don't tell me." Rion almost groaned "Anausa?"
"Yep." Matthew said handing Rion the file "What about that tweet?"
"Empty threat, kill Asuna and Charles loses his leverage, kill her and we kill him." Rion said "I'm not losing sleep over idiots who can't get the Crown Princess's twitter handle right and more than likely don't have a clue where Asuna is."
"Watch tracker has its advantages." Matthew said "So where are they going?"
"They know there's a huge search effort going on, so my guess is they're going to try and get out of the country, they can't take Asuna on a commercial flight or vessel so it'll be private charter by air or sea." Rion said "If it were me I'd take sea. But this isn't what's bugging me."
"What is?" Matthew asked
"This needed insider knowledge to pull off." Rion said
"Someone inside Pyrena?" Matthew asked
"Yes." Rion said "I need to talk to Emerson."

Emerson was sat aboard the Azukishima, working away in a near replica of his Pyrena Office including the adjoining door to Evanthe's office. He was arguably the calmest person on the ship because he knew how good Rion was at her job and he had plenty of faith that she'd get the job done. He half smiled as he took Rion's video call.
"Progress?" he asked
"The watch puts us in the game." Rion said "But that's not what's bothering me, I can handle a game of hide and seek. What's bothering me is how this happened, the people in the know detail wise are my CPT people and Rokkenjiman embassy personnel."
"So there's a mole." Emerson said
"That's my guess." Rion said "And Iso's to Shillings it's on Pyrena's side of the equation."
"I'll root them out." Emerson said "Wish me luck."
"Good luck." Rion said ending the call before Emerson looked up to see Evanthe in the doorway
"Yep we've got problems." the Viceregent said

Not that far away from the Azukishima the INS Kryptonite was making it's approach towards the Rokkenjiman carrier Enterprise, on the frigates bridge Captain Lily Falconer sat in her chair, as they went through the usual protocols "Put us alongside Mr Younger." Lily said to the officer manning the helm
"Aye Captain." the helm answered
"Com inform Vice Admiral Forrester that I'm heading over." Lily said "Apologise for the surprise."
"Yes Ma'am." the com officer said

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2023, 02:11:16 AM »
IRN Enterprise

Forrester would make arrangements for Captain Falconer to be brought to her in-port cabin. "While I would usually give the welcome spiel I'm sure we're both in agreement we can dispense with the pleasantries," Forrester said as she motioned for the Captain to take a seat with her. "I've long been of the opinion that the best way to deal with Ofdensen is putting a bullet in the back of his head yet, here we are, he's whipped the Centre Party into submission in short enough order that if certain scenarios play out, he'll be the next Premier which spells trouble we both know well. What do you have for me?"

Things were going well so far, they had stopped at a gasoline stand and she had been given some time to use the bathroom whilst there. "I can't with the door open," she said, which prompted her captor to sigh, "Four minutes, no longer, then I'll kick that door in, understand?" to which she nodded. Once the door of the stall had closed she quickly got a message composed to Gemma. "Stopped at a gas stand, junction 5, smell of sea is getting stronger, bridge to south east? get me out of here they dont know what deodorant is  :( "

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2023, 05:07:42 PM »
Coincidences were sometimes wonderful things, at the exact moment that Asuna's message popped up on her phone Gemma was in Justicar Operations she instantly showed it to Rion. "Get me Junction five traffic camera on the M thirteen." Rion said, a few seconds later one of the large wall screens was showing a section of the services car park all  looked normal and then a man walked out of the toilet block with a young girl in front of him.
"That's Asuna." Gemma said "She looks ok, well aside from the whole situation."
"You taught her what to do if this ever happened?" Rion asked
"Of course I did." Gemma said watching the camera feed "And that's a Range Rover they're traveling in."
"Can't see the plate, but that looks like a third generation." Rion said "Colin follow it on the network."
"I'd love to boss but Artaxia council is doing maintenance on their systems." Colin said
"So if they cross Ravensbridge." Rion said "We lose visual."
"And they just refueled so that's likely." Gemma said
"They're going to do one of two things." Colin said "They're either going to keep running or they're going to go to ground somewhere."
"Asuna is Charles's leverage they're probably not going to run around the country." Rion said "If it were me I'd pick somewhere and go to ground. You two grab a couple more bodies and get to Artaxia."
"They'll be over that bridge first." Gemma said
"I know but we'll be a whole lot closer." Rion said "Meanwhile I'll update."

On the Azukishima Emerson was walking into a meeting of the Imperial Council, taking his seat he looked around the table this was a group of people he'd handpicked to provide the voice of debate and scrutiny to decision making so the knowledge that one of them was working against them didn't sit particularly well. "There's only one item  on the agenda." Emerson said "Efforts to recover Crown Princess Asuna continue to be undertaken by Achkaerinese agencies, my concern here however is how such an event even happened. The Crown Princess's schedule not to mention what goes with it are known to only a handful of people and not counting Asuna herself all but two of that group are in this room. Whichever of you betrayed the Crown Princess has twenty four hours to own up or when I find out who it is the repercussions will be far greater.
 This is not the time to play games with me."

On the Enterprise, Lily took a breath there were far better ways of doing what she was here to do, though perhaps not as discreet. "I don't technically have anything for you, what I am here with is a request. You have within your command purview QCMB, given where this situation is likely to end up and the fact that Ofdensen will have military backing, we need to ensure that QCMB is not used as a means for Ofdensen to play around in the north. So I need you to look through whatever documents you need to and put together a list of who you cannot be sure of."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2023, 02:05:44 AM »
As the car drove down the freeway the driver grew increasingly frustrated as the radiator began to spew steam. "Son of a bitch," he said, shaking his head as he pulled the car to the side of the freeway under protest. "Damn thing is shot," he said to his partner, who had left Asuna in the car. She knew escape wasn't an option at this point; the child locks were engaged and a crude divider separated the front and back seats of the vehicle. Still, she took the opportunity to fire off a message:

Marker 413, just beyond the bridge, coolant failure.

Charles had a moment he could not anticipate; even with the SCJ not hearing a case there was more which could be exploited to force an early exit of Evanthe from Chrysanthemum Throne. "While the SCJ may not hear cases against the Empress there is the matter of conflicts of interest which represent a direct threat to the security of the First Empire," Groves said as he spoke on a secured line with the Vicegerent. "I have a trove of information which highlights several of these, many of which involve what many contend is an improper transfer of power between Empress Saisei and Empress Evanthe. I have it on good authority that I would have solid ground to stand upon if I challenged that transfer and offer you one, just one, shot at ensuring such a challenge doesn't come: Empress Evanthe will resign, and Princess Kyōko will be named Regent. I don't need to remind you that certain accidents could happen if these demands are not met; you'll retain your post in name at least, and if everyone is on board we won't have any problems. I'm ending the call but please, do call back within 2 hours with your answer. Evanthe can go home to Seaforthian soil, with some part of her dignity intact at least, I'll allow her to live to see another day, but she will not rule Rokkenjima one day further. Also, the elections timetable, if we could move those forward as well?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2023, 09:12:06 PM »
"He's not the organ grinder just the messenger boy." Nettie said when Emerson called the Marble Palace moments later and explained the situation
"It's clever." Serenity said
"How?" Emerson said
"See the whole board." Serenity said "He's trying to pin Kyoko as regent, so he wants her there."
"She's a threat." Nettie said "He wants her where she can be controlled."
"As opposed to her natural habitat." Emerson said "I'm getting the picture, Nettie does Charles still win?"
"Probably yes." Nettie said "But two thirds? No way."
"Emerson to be clear I am sunstriking both the embassy in Rokkenjima and Antares." Serenity said "I'm getting a briefing on that in half an hour and I'm having the Azukishima tied in."
"I haven't got the mole but it's never Rowe so that's simple enough." Emerson said "I'll see you then."

After hanging up Emerson poked his head out of the cabin "Ask Princess Kyoko and Minister Rei to come by in ten minutes." he said to the secretary sat out there before picking up the phone and calling Groves back "Don't make empty threats to me, we both know you're not going to make martyr's out of them, you want the Empress gone you're going to have to go to the SCJ and make your case." he hung up.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2023, 10:59:22 PM »
Groves knew that the Supreme Court of Judicature was a dead end, the Empress enjoyed sovereign immunity and as such was beyond his reach through legal means. "You've failed," Charles said on the secured line, "leaving me with options that I rather would not have been forced to rely upon. I'm giving the order," Groves audibly sighed, "She's much too popular, you're making a martyr out of her," came his reply. "I'll champion her "death" and move the entirety of the nation, uniting it in one cause. The grief over her loss will help me to consolidate in ways I presently am unable to do so, and grant me my crown jewel upon the Throne. I will not be dissuaded."

"Then my use to you has come to an end," Groves said rhetorically.

"You'll be seen after, in a manner befitting of your contributions. Worry not my friend, failure is not a death sentence."

Once the line was dead Charles looked to the head of his security detail. "Make it look as though he died after a night of partying, face down in a bathtub littered with his vomit."

Kyōko and Rei would answer the summons in short order. "Has anything changed?" Kyōko  asked swiftly. "Tell me there's news of Asuna."

The notification of her death was amusing for a moment before she sent a message to Gemma: "lol im dead now?"

OOC: Information will have been shared with key Rokkenjiman Allie’s. As I am at work at the moment consider this a placeholder for a proper response which will be written when I get home.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 02:27:01 PM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2023, 02:13:55 AM »
As soon as the social media notification had popped up, alarm bells had started ringing, wagons were being circled quite quickly, in truth these were the moments Rion was paid for and her instinct was usually spot on, they needed to act fast, one bit of fortune was in their favour, the watch signal was still stationary. She smiled as the plan formed  in front of her, this was a bold move for Charles to make not to mention a risky one so it must be an important step, she needed to know his endgame perhaps there was a way to turn this to her advantage. Step one set the stage, step two get Asuna back, step three watch and wait like the lioness watching its prey. However first she had a trip to the morgue to attend to, it wasn't that much of a walk from the operations floor to the morgue but it was long enough for her to get orders out, waiting for Rion was Elena Walsh, the Justicar medic. On the slab was a body that looked like Asuna. "Go on." Rion said
"This is the body of an unknown female found at a farm on the outskirts of Artaxia following a call to local police, as you will observe she bears a pretty much exact resemblance to Asuna. Cause of death is gunshot wound to the head, there are other other injuries a gunshot wound to the back of the right leg and what appears to be bruising suggesting shes been beaten prior to death." Elena said "Time of death about ten last night. Someone went to an awful lot of trouble to make us think this is Asuna."
"Didn't Su Mai try this trick?" Rion asked
"This is a whole lot more sophisticated than Su Mai." Elena said "I took a DNA sample, it's not exact but this girl shares a significant amount of DNA with Asuna."
"This isn't science fiction." Rion said
"Never said it was." Elena said "At a guess this girl is a year maybe two younger than Asuna, similar height, similar weight. IVF does explain this, but how the samples were obtained..."
"Between having Asuna and Lucius" Rion said "Beatrice had a miscarriage, surgery was involved in the aftermath so that's one half. Charles was in charge of the health side of the family bet he could have got what he needed."

On the Azukishima Kayleigh was on the phone to Relkin at Abstergo doing so from her own quarters so as to not give out the sensitive nature of what she was doing even though this was taking a huge leap of faith. "Mr Relkin this is Kayleigh Pryde head of Royal Security at Pyrena, I need you to block Rokkenjiman intelligence access to the smart watch signal this is for the safety of the family and to prevent prying eyes from looking where they need not look, do you understand?" she waited for Relkin to confirm it was done before hanging up, they'd gotten a little bit lucky but they couldn't now show their hand, not to a compromised intelligence entity. Leaving her quarters she found her colleague Tori Baker.
"How bad is it?" Tori said
"Bad." Kayleigh said "Charles is making moves and I don't like it." she sighed "I'm ordering Farthing Wood." it was code for an evacuation of the Rokkenjiman Imperial Family, a protocol she'd put in place when she'd taken over and one she'd hoped to never to use. "Josiah and Lucius first. I'll arrange Evanthe's transport."
"Designated White Deer Park?" Tori asked
"Ivyfield Priory." Kayleigh said "Go tonight."
"Understood." Tori said

Elsewhere Emerson sighed "I wish I had something to say, but this isn't about her this is about what we do now." he said "Minister, Admiral Forrester has been asked to compile a list of personnel, when she has done so I need you as part of the defence posture review move those personnel to home bases within Rokkenjima, let's have the bad apples where we know they are." he turned his attention to Kyoko "You're the politician in the family, you know how the game is played, let Charles show his hand, we neutralise his plan and then we deal with him."

Gemma wasn't happy as she sped her car across Ravensbridge, the path that linked Icebridge island with Aelmoorr, she knew the risk to Asuna was now greater than ever, if Charles was prepared to have her death staged then it was possible to suggest that Asuna was now expendable or very close to being expendable, glancing at her onboard computer she could see that she was closing in on the now moving signal "Crystal to control." she said over her radio "Just coming off Ravensbridge."
"Have that." Rion said "Take the B17, you're about fifteen miles back but clearly going faster."
"What's the action?" Gemma asked
"We're going to thunderwave the car." Rion said "It's you against three maybe four targets."
"Lovely odds." Gemma said "On my go?"
"On your go." Rion said

Gemma kept driving, as she did so she sent Asuna a message When the car stops turtle up., hitting send as she closed to within two miles she kept her foot down, biting her lip, she'd never really considered her role as anything more than Asuna's bodyguard but she knew that from the Rokkenjiman perspective hers was a sacred duty as much as it was a professional one, What do you know I've turned into Captain Sisko the thought went through her head "Rion stop that car." she said
"Good luck." Rion said

What happened next happened fast, first from the skies above an Emolga jet swept down, it was a very special aircraft for many reasons this time it was because it was the test platform for 'thunderwave' an emp device designed to stop a moving vehicle by frying onboard electronics, granted anything from earlier than the mid seventies was immune but in this instance the conditions were met, the aicraft closed in needing to be within two hundred metres did make this somewhat impractical in other scenarios but on home soil with no countermeasures to worry about it was perfect. The car ground to a halt, the driver got out of the car just as Gemma's car came roaring down the otherwise deserted road, slamming right into the driver with lethal force, casting him aside much like a rag doll, Gemma checked her rear view mirror, three more getting out of that car one appearing to have Asuna. Gemma steered her car into a tight handbrake turn before much like a knight in the lists setting off for a second lance, this time she ran down one more target before skidding the car to a halt, pistol drawn she got out of the car and ducked behind the engine block bullets flying above her head, two to go Jason Renback and Akane Fujimoto the latter holding Asuna. Popping up she let off two rounds and ducked again as Renback returned fire, predictably with an automatic weapon, the only other sound was of Asuna struggling with Akane, shots were exchanged as Gemma shifted position eventually getting enough vantage to down Renback, now she moved again chasing down Akane who was trying to get away.

"Let her go Akane." Gemma said taking a firing stance as Akane put her gun to the back of Asuna's head "Don't..."
"Drop it." Akane said "You pull that trigger I kill her."
"How far you've fallen." Gemma said "You put a gun to the blessed of Islyna's head? I am to her what Lucinda Hadley is to Beatrice and what you were to Cecelia, I am her guardian, my sworn duty is to protect her, I'm not about to put my sword down. Try me but you will die before you land a blow I promise you that." Akane sucked in a breath, as if steeling herself, one drop of the shoulder from the one time Anausa and Gemma fired, the bullet slicing through Akane's neck dropping her instantly "Don't turn." Gemma directed Asuna as she moved up and fired twice more to make certain, "Fiver secure. On our way back to burrow request air transport." she said over her com as she holstered her pistol and a split second later Asuna was hugging her. "I've got you." Gemma said kissing the top of Asuna's head "It's ok."

At the Marble Palace, Rion's report of Asuna being recovered prompted unconventional cheering in the Round Table room but that was soon quelled as they moved to the relevant of what to now do with Asuna.
"Speaking tactically." Rion said slowly looking around the table "I suggest we keep it a secret. Everyone thinks she's dead, the only people that know otherwise are our people and Charles. He wanted the world to believe her dead for a reason let's give him the rope. We should inform certain people but Rokkenjiman intelligence is a compromised entity so we shouldn't go there."
"Is Kyoko to be trusted?" Serenity asked
"This is where we have a problem." Mark Sharpe said "We're all of the opinion that Charles has planned this for a long time, he was viceregent and Lord High Steward, he visited Rishiri on multiple occasions, he's met Kyoko when she was Lucretia Marino. It looks suspicious."
"On top of that this all started with Kyoko being dragged out of the woodwork by Charles and now she's Empress." Rion said
"Counter argument?" Serenity asked
"Asuna is still alive." Alex said "Third party surrogate IVF to fake a death is a lot of needless effort if Kyoko is on Charles's side of the equation. You'd just kill Asuna in that instance, staging the death implies they still wanted her for something."
"Leverage." Rion said "Dangle the hope of getting Asuna back alive in front of Kyoko and she'll play ball."
"Sounds familiar." Mark said
"Because it is." Serenity said "It's Cecelia all over again. Major Kirby sunstrike update."

"All data has been uploaded and everything has been packed we can close the embassy and render Antares inoperable within an hour of the order being given." Kirby said
"Nettie what does Charles have access to right now?" Serenity said
"Nothing much, he's mostly a bean counter, he can't order anything militarily but if he can compromise Kyoko..." Nettie said
"And there lies another issue." Mark said "To sustain this, Charles has to have his fingers in a few pies in particular the military. Remei Nine, the Peniche incident they indicate a possibility that he has some military support."
"I'm all for letting this play out a bit in order to discern the extent of his corrupting influence." Serenity said "But if he starts throwing the IRN around that will change. Rion notify Lucinda that Asuna is alive, she can tell Beatrice, but I do not want it public we keep a tight lid on it. Sally you do the same for our allies, Asuna is alive, we can prove  that but we're not advertising it because it puts us ahead of Ofdensen and strongly recommend they cut Rokkenjima out of any intelligence sharing agreements."

"Understood." Sally said
"Charles will probably move quickly but not rashly." Rion said
"We have the upper hand now." Serenity said "Ok that's it see you all in six hours I need to go tell Euphy the good news."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2023, 11:20:43 PM »
“Yes I quite understand, give it a few moments and it should be done.”

Kyōko sighed and listened as Emerson spoke. “I’ll see that the reassignments are put through with priority,” Rei answered. Kyōko nodded, “I’ll have to make my way to Pyrettania as to maintain appearances. I do suspect Charles will be suspicious if I’m away for too long, and with everything he’s done to my family I’d like to do what I can to contribute to his inevitable suffering.”

Asuna did as she told, shuddering as the second shot rang out, slumping into Gemma before sobbing. “I want mummy,” she repeated again and again, “can you take me to her? And Thomas, let him know I’m ok please?” she fired off words more quickly than her mouth could keep up with her mouth, leading her to stutter and slur her words at times before trying to take Gemma by the hand. “We have to get out of here, please get me out of here and take me to mummy?”

Beatrice was sleeping on the sofa, her head in Lucinda’s lap, as she took the call. She contained the urge to jump up in joy as she swept Beatrice’s hair from her face. “Hey you,” she said calmly, “Asuna’s safe, just as I promised she would be.” Beatrice stirred a bit then sat up, “Thank Islyna,” she sighed as she hugged Lucinda. “Now then, hen do we get you on the next flight to Pyrettania to splatter that bastard’s brains on the wall behind his desk?” Lucinda held a finger up to her lips, “We can think of his demise later, I imagine the first thing you’ll want me to arrange is getting her on the line to speak with you, she needs you now more than ever. I promise you though, his day will come, and we’ll make sure he gets all that he’s so justly due.”

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2023, 02:36:38 AM »
The helicopter flight from the scene to Ivyfield Priory was quiet, partly because it was just Gemma and Asuna in the back but also because the mental exhaustion had kicked in and at various points only Gemma had been awake. During the flight Gemma had had the message, Asuna's being alive was now considered top secret information, known only to a very tight and trusted circle. When the helicopter touched down Gemma briskly got Asuna inside the house. It was Tori who greeted them
"How long have you been here?" Gemma asked
"Six hours or so." Tori said "Kayleigh called Farthing Wood, I brought Lucius and Josiah up overnight. Evanthe's in the air as we speak."
"So we're looking at the whole clan apart from Kyoko being here." Gemma said, she nudged Asuna "Go on you don't need to stand there and listen to us talk shop."

Having told Euphy about Asuna, Serenity was back in more meetings this time with Nettie the question was the same as it had been for a while now what was Charles plotting? The answer was that they had pieces but not the whole puzzle. "I think Charles is trying to roll back the clock." Serenity said "There's always been an attitude in post 2015 Rokkenjiman politics, that Rokkenjima was unfairly treated, their fall from grace right? From world leader to far less, in truth Rokkenjima dug itself into that hole by not being able to adapt to the post WARSAW world, there's a pantheon of high profile incidents..."
"And in all those incidents the international community, led usually by Peter, Joshua and David said no." Nettie said "And where do you find the two most developed diplomatic networks on Mundus? Northfort and Valtheim. That's his conspiracy."
"Plays the victim card, evokes a common trend." Serenity said "What does he do now?"
"Now he has a problem." Nettie said "He needs to deliver, which is difficult because the Premier does not control foreign affairs."
"So he either has to puppet Kyoko or he has to subvert or circumvent her." Serenity said
"Both are high risk." Nettie said "But achievable, he just needs a flashpoint, something to get the public with him to make Kyoko's job difficult."

"This doesn't end well does it?" Serenity said
"No it doesn't" Nettie said "There is the very real and very likely possibility of military action being taken against Rokkenjima on your order."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2023, 06:44:05 PM »
for every move there's a counter move the time old phrase ran through Serenity's head as she paced around what was still her Dad's study, also present was her older brother Simon, the atmosphere was heavy enough what had happened around the Tokara Islands had led to an immediate summons for the Round Table Conference, the two of them were just waiting for everyone to get there which should be at any moment. It was at this point that their aunt Esme, Peter's sister, walked in and closed the usually open door behind her.
"I need to talk to you both." Esme said
"We're about to go into a meeting." Serenity said
"You're going to want to know this before you go in there." Esme said "And you're going to want to sit down."
"This sounds ominous." Simon said as Serenity sat down next to him
"This all started with Charles or Charles's agents pulling Kyoko out of hiding." Esme said "He knew that secret because he had Akane. He exposed it to set the board. But Charles isn't playing chess. Chess is a perfect information game, both players know all the pieces, where they are and all the moves. Charles thinks he knows all the moves, he doesn't because there are secrets he doesn't know."
"And we do?" Simon asked
"Yes." Esme said "Kyoko was a well kept secret, the deeper secret is in the leagues of it should never be spoken of."
"What is it?" Serenity asked
"Rokkenjima's line of succession?" Esme asked
"Asuna, Kyoko, then Beatrice is out so it runs back to Cecelia then it's Evanthe and then Euphy before we get into Constitutional issues." Serenity said
"You're missing a few people." Esme said
"Who?" Serenity said
"Yourself for starters." Esme said "Then there's me, Cerys, Sakura, your girls and yours Simon."
"How?" Simon asked

"You remember Kichiro Anselmo Simon?" Esme asked
"Cecelia's husband?" Simon asked "Barely."
"He couldn't have children." Esme said "You see the problem?"
"If the Blessed of Isylna can't have children questions, rumours etc abound." Simon said "Huge propaganda for the Federal Republic."
"Fortunately IVF was around." Esme said "Your father was the donor on both occasions. Lines of succession rely on biology not who filled a role."

There was a fair amount of silence as Simon and Serenity digested what they'd been told, as pep talks went it wasn't bad and as far as information went it was pretty helpful, then Serenity stood up "Do they know?" Serenity asked
"Not unless Cecelia's told them." Esme said
"Serenity." it was Nettie from the doorway "We're ready."
"Ok." Serenity said "Let's end this farce."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2023, 12:13:54 AM »
"I still feel off about leaving my sister out of this knowledge," Beatrice sighed as the rest of her family was present. She couldn't help but notice the awkward looks from Lucinda as she sat nestled against Alex, but both of them knew that the road ahead wouldn't be so simple and clear cut. "My girl is safe though, our precious Asuna is safe, and that's what is important," she continued after a pause. "What does this mean for your sister?" Alex would ask. "She'll serve her role at present, she'll represent the best of us, and once the time comes she will gracefully stand aside, I expect nothing less of her."

The moment when Beatrice would accept Asuna into her arms was a moment in which time itself almost seemed to stop, "I had every faith in you, my clever girl," she said with a kiss to Asuna's forehead, "I love you." "And I love you, mummy, you even got papa out of his crypt for the occasion," she said with a sly look to Alex. "You're lucky young lady," he said with a chuckle, "don't burn through your passes so quickly though. Welcome home, love."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2023, 09:57:48 PM »
The word fury was not one normally associated with Rion but she was giving off that feeling and then some as she stepped into the Round Table Room where she found Serenity sat looking at the wall screen "You're not going to believe this." Rion said handing Serenity a copy of the latest Rokkenjiman press release "Behold the victory of Charles Ofdensen."
"You've got to be kidding me." Serenity said reading it "What does Kyoko think she's doing? She knows the INIS is a compromised intelligence agency and she's taking their word? Not to mention this centre party insanity, so divorced from fact it's unbelievable. Charles blackmailed Yuriko a few years back and rigged a referendum that saw Koizumi forced from power that we know. And what party do both Yuriko Faust and Koizumi belong to?"
"The Centre Party." Nettie said coming in "You've read it then."
"Yep." Serenity said "Please tell me Emerson hasn't done anything rash yet."
"Not yet." Rion said
"Ok." Serenity said "Rion in your opinion does Charles Ofdensen actively sabotage this election?"
"In my opinion no." Rion said "Everyone knew about the paper voters, everyone knew that every election going back to 2004 had been rigged by that method and that said voters could be traced back to the Crown. She hasn't provided any proof that Charles did anything, doesn't mean someone else didn't but I don't buy him rigging this anymore than I buy the Centre Party doing it."
"Odds of a successful prosecution?" Nettie said
"Assuming a fair trial nill." Serenity said "No link, no smoking gun, no evidence and very clear other and more viable suspects and motives." she sighed "We're fairly certain Charles has an insider on the Imperial Council, who do you think?"
"Given todays silliness I put Lucius Stanley top of the list." Rion said "Assuming it's not Kyoko herself."
"Nettie?" Serenity asked
"I don't see it but it's plausible." Nettie said
"If your Charles what do you do Rion?" Serenity said
"I spark the war." Rion said "No way Charles doesn't have a contingency plan."
"Better find it fast." Nettie said

"Ok." Serenity said "Rion talk to Emerson you know what he needs to do."
"What about Charles?" Nettie asked
"She just answered that." Rion said "No noise right?"
"No noise." Serenity said "Work it out."
"Ok." Rion said
"And get me Charles's prison records." Serenity said "Tell Hannah to draft a press release in response to this, it'll make for decent bait at least if nothing else." she looked around "Figure his final move and then we end this."

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2023, 05:12:00 PM »
Kyoko's desire to move from Pyrena to the Imperial Palace couldn't really have come at a better time as it meant that a whole variety of people were scattered between the two buildings as step by step the transfer took place, this was important as it made organising things that the Empress need not know about a whole lot easier this had been one of Emerson's jobs to make sure that to quote the job description Lucinda Hadley so often recited "the hands of the crown were clean." it hadn't been easy but being Viceregent gave him the clout to arrange the passage and circumstances that had needed arranging, the hard part had been keeping Kyoko none the wiser, something achieved by the rather predictable and understandable backlash to her decisions, in truth it couldn't have been better set up if it had tried. If all went as it should he was in the final days of occupying the role, though whether it turned out that way was well and truly in the hands of a higher power. Either way the cards had been dealt it was just a case of who played their hand best.

Exuperia Palace was seeing what might be regarded as a game of musical chairs taking place - those accused of being co-conspirators were being moved to other accommodation, this had been easy for Emerson to arrange given the symbolism of the Palace in relation to the Anselmo family Kyoko hadn't raised eyebrows or objections, now what hadn't been said was that one occupant - Charles was not being moved well not yet at least, it was a fairly common sense move with legal proceedings pending to separate out the accused and prevent them from cheating the system, but with where things stood this was more smoke and mirrors, armoured trucks were an appropriate means of removing the 'inmates' but, with the area secured, they were also a very effective way of getting someone in without attracting attention, in this instance Serenity herself - a very odd choice on the face of it but on this occasion arguably the right one, she knew the facts, she knew the history and this was something personal now, which it hadn't been at the start of this whole mess. Stepping into the living space she half raised an eyebrow at Charles's expression.

"Don't act surprised." Serenity said
"What are you doing here?" Charles asked
"I can't come and congratulate you on a game well played?" Serenity said putting a bottle on  the table with her gloved hands "As long games go it was excellent." she sighed "How does it feel just over twenty five years of scheming and effort and here you are, Rokkenjima's reputation in tatters, an Empress well and truly out of her depth and not a shred of evidence connecting you to any of it. Seemed appropriate as this has been our dance since that day in court."
"You wouldn't be trying to get me to tell you?" Charles said
"I'm not that desperate." Serenity said "I know a fair amount of it and can guess the rest, what of that I can prove? Nothing really. It is a masterclass though and all because Cecelia said no in 1997. So for the crime of the mother you visit retribution on the daughter."
"You really want to go over old ground?" Charles asked
"No I just need to know if I'm right" Serenity said "You had Cecelia locked up in Slava Lavosk, you're not the sentimental type so she's leverage, you're obviously going to dangle her in front of Beatrice but you didn't, why? Unless you were worried she wouldn't cave, that's it right? Between David, Joshua and my Dad there was quite a lot of support for Rokkenjima and oddly for Beatrice some trust expressed, dangle the carrot you can't predict her response and coups require predictable behaviour. So you swapped to drugging her, made her compliant and it worked. You must wonder where it all went wrong, even I didn't have it until recently."
"I'm not following." Charles said
"You had everyone spinning - the Rokkenjiman authorities more concerned with finding Asuna than watching Toshikawa, Beatrice is drugged so not mentally competent that challenges a preconception, I always assumed Beatrice sent the countermand order but she was drugged so she shouldn't have been able to that's what you assumed as well and it's a correct assumption, but the countermand came from her computer, and how fitting it is that the Anselmo you discounted is the one that came back to bite, I wouldn't have got there unless I was dating her but you forgot about Euphy." Serenity said "And then it all came out and you panicked."

"I what?" Charles asked
"Nueva Ardia went to the CTO demanding justice, Evanthe was secretary general you calculated correctly that she wouldn't stand a debate involving her cousin being tried, but then I succeeded her and I had no such bias, you couldn't stop it so you ran." Serenity said "You really should have argued unlawful arrest. Maybe then you don't end up in prison. That should have been the end of it but Beatrice perjured herself in the Imperial Address."
"You realise you aren't saying anything new?" Charles said
"We're getting there." Serenity said "How did you know Groves?"
"He worked for me at Orchid before Abstergo was a thing." Charles said "Before he went into politics."
"And when did you hatch the idea to have him try to seduce Evanthe?" Serenity said, Charles didn't react "Don't play dumb it was all over the news in Rokkenjima speculation about a relationship, not a bad gambit actually, Beatrice is in prison, Evanthe on the throne it does make sense - Groves gets close to her, gets involved with her, eventually marries her all you’ve got to do then is off Asuna which isn’t that much of a problem and then Evanthe’s Empress in her own right.” Serenity half smiled “But she made a different choice, so that’s the mother, the first daughter and both cousins all thwarting you in their own way.”
“Thwarting me of what?” Charles asked “You tell a good story and you’re a decent guesser but you’ve got no basis.”
“Haven’t I?” Serenity said “Charles Foster Ofdensen in 1985, 1990, 1995 and 2000 you stood to be President of the Federal Republic of Rokkenjima, but you never got passed the preliminaries. You actually had a half decent career going and a few half decent ideas but never had the support to get to the people. Whatever made you snap drove you to conspire with Cecelia, who you betrayed and Beatrice who you also betrayed. This is a thirty eight year power trip fuelled by your lust, nothing noble about it. And then there’s Kyoko…”
“What about Kyoko?” Charles asked

“The card you were ultimately forced to play.” Serenity “I suspect if Groves and Evanthe had lived happily ever after then Lucretia Marino has a tragic accident after all you knew who she was and you’d assume she’d be told. But having been foiled of that you played a blinder. You had conspired with Akane to foil Cecelia’s attempted reclamation, she’d told you about Kyoko so you pulled her from obscurity, you practically burned the INIS but reward outweighs risk, though even you couldn’t have imagined she’d be this beneficial, jumps the gun, listens to an over zealous Lucius Stanley and essentially carries out what looks like a coup, all your birthdays came at once. Not quite how you planned it but fortunate for you at least. But here’s the thing Kyoko doesn’t have an actionable case against you, I on the other hand do.”
“For what?” Charles asked
“Conspiracy to murder.” Serenity said “The funny thing with conspiracies is that you can play the perfect game but the odds of everyone playing the perfect game are slim to none, sometimes as in the case of the IRN Kurogitsune it works for you because plausible deniability is plausible deniability and despite all the questions nothing currently puts you giving the order to fire. But you’re always counting on luck, because you need everyone you’re orchestrating to do what you’re saying and that generally includes one thing destruction of communications.” she took out a phone “This phone belonged to one of Asuna’s kidnappers, it’s mostly unamazing except for a chatroom app, doesn’t sound unusual right? But the last received message in this chat is a kill order, so whoever sent that message ordered her death.” she was pacing around now “And the interesting thing with this app is you can call as well as chat. So let’s find out who this belongs to.” she hit dial and within a split second later Charles’s phone rang “I’m guessing not your actual phone… ask me.”
“If you knew that then why come here why not go to Kyoko?” Charles said

“Because I’m giving you a choice before I see her.” Serenity said “I could get you extradited, prosecute you, land you in jail, but I have other things to worry about. You know when that order was sent and you know what will become apparent when I compare that to Asuna’s ‘date of death’ you really want me to unveil the full extent of this or do you want to save that which you fought for?”
“What do you mean?” Charles asked
“Your victory is Pyrrhic, you’re a democratically elected head of government forced from power by a Monarch who doesn’t like you and is so bent on her own retribution that she is prepared to destroy Rokkenjiman democracy to get it, she hasn’t seen it but that’s what she’s doing censorship of a political party, that’s a freedom of expression issue and a freedom of assembly issue right there. You didn’t rig that election, it would have been foolish, after all you’ve rigged way too many and burned that to get the office reinstated, smart move to make it look like the crown did it. So no you didn’t rig it but a third party did. Took us a while but East Moreland pointed out a fishing business in Pyrettania, we took a look and found an account in the name of Travis Lia Courage. Not a couple as the account suggests but an anagram of Gervais Courtiel, money launderer and businessman believed to be the money of the Sorority of Materna. You didn’t rig it, it would have been counter to your strategy but clearly a few people financing the campaign, third parties, didn’t think you’d win without help, that’s not all they did though.”
“Meaning?” Charles asked
“Where’s the submarine Charles?” Serenity said
“Submarine?” Charles asked
“The Clysperi one.” Serenity said “The one that the Sorority helped slip the northern ocean when they hijacked the Poseidon.”
“Why would I want a submarine?” Charles asked
“For this moment.” Serenity said “Forced from power, facing only circumstantial evidence, one final attack, not bad in theory, but if successful you justify Kyoko cracking down hard and killing Rokkenjima’s democracy. You don’t want that, you want the opposite.”
“It’s not an attack it’s a diversion.” Charles said “Rokkenjima’s air defences would shoot down a cruise missile.”
“Diversion from what?” Serenity said
“The real attack.” Charles said
“Ok, details.” Serenity said “Written confession, everything about what’s about to happen and who your insider on the Imperial Council is.”
“And then?” Charles asked
“Then you decide how this ends.” Serenity said

Charles wrote for a while detailing everything, whether it would make a difference or not Serenity didn’t know but it didn’t matter to her, as she read over Charles’s shoulder. “Now what?” Charles asked when he’d finished
“The choice is yours but you already know that and what I mean.” Serenity said “I’ve got you on multiple charges, so it’s life in prison or you can take a swig from that bottle of mead.”
“What’s the poison?” Charles asked putting two and two together
“It’s a honeyed mead same brand as what’s in the cellar just different type, you have a honey allergy.” Serenity said
“Anaphylaxis.” Charles said “Why?”
“Because Asuna doesn’t need or deserve the pressure of having to rebuild Rokkenjima’s democracy.” Serenity said “I’d like nothing more than to see you rot but I will choose hope over division any day. Your call.”

There were a few seconds silence before Charles took the bottle, opened it, poured a glass and drank it down, once it was over Serenity slipped out the way she’d come in, once she was back in the back of the truck and being driven away she was on the phone to Emerson, “It’s a bait and switch, the subs a diversion we have two subs sat in the area and plenty of airpower in the area so does the IRN find it, the main threat is inside the imperial palace”
“From?” Emerson asked
“Clarence Frederick inside, and a rogue above.” Serenity said
“Imperial Councillor for Environmental Affairs.” Emerson said “Green Party, should have guessed.”
“I’m on my way over.” Serenity said “Stop him.”

No sooner had Emerson put the phone down than he ran to Kayleigh’s office “Clarence Frederick, deadly force if necessary. Go.” he said
“Wouldn’t have bet on him.” Kayleigh said getting on her radio as she ran from the room, this had been the worry all along, what exactly was the insider’s role - to report back absolutely but they also were ideally positioned to make an attempt on Kyoko, something given what was believed about Charles’s plan would have been necessary unless of course Kyoko herself had been the insider, something now disproven. Kayleigh was prepared for this, moving the Anselmo’s to Ivyfield had been part of that, reduction of targets, it was dangling Kyoko like bait but it was effective. Racing up the stairs the call came that Clarence wasn’t in her office which only served to speed Kayleigh up, drawing her pistol as she spotted Clarence moving towards Kyoko’s study Kayleigh sped up more “Stop right there Councillor!” Kayleigh said, Clarence turned “Don’t open that door.” it almost happened in slow motion, Clarence turned the handle and had the door half open when Kayleigh’s bullet ripped through her dropping the councilor to the floor, “Get me a medic.” Kayleigh was on her radio again “Target down.”

Outside Serenity, now driving her own car was pulling up, Emerson greeting her.
“Reports coming in.” Emerson said “Charles Ofdensen found dead, accidental causes.”
“Clarence?” Serenity asked
“Detained.” Emerson said “Now what?”
“That’s up to Kyoko she can either correct herself and commit to due process or she can continue with populist tactics and alienate herself further, which has one heck of a knock on effect.” Serenity said “The sub?”
“Sunk I think one of yours got it.” Emerson said
“It’s over then.” Serenity said “Good."