Author Topic: Abertone and Hozland on tour  (Read 2033 times)

Offline EricaHozland

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Hozland
Abertone and Hozland on tour
« on: October 09, 2022, 04:06:19 PM »

Dear Emperor Marco

I am writing to you to invite you to meet with myself during our annual pilgrimage to the Holy Land. While we are not of the Catholic faith like yourself we still love and praise God and Jesus Christ. I think that this foundation is one that would allow our nations to build a great friendship. I hope that you will join us in Jerusalem where we can discuss a great number of things that could benefit each of us.

We are hopeful of your attendance.

Best Regards

King John V of Hozland

Offline Abertone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Abertone
Re: Abertone and Hozland on tour
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 11:45:07 PM »
Emperor Marco was not a man of great faith, his cousin Graziano however was. It had been the Consul who had encouraged the Emperor to make a grand show of this visit. His Empire was supposed to be a Catholic one and a pilgrimage would be a significant event in the eyes of the media. The Emperor had been meeting with various Catholic priests during his visit so far and this morning had been to pay his respects at the Church of the Holy Sepulchre even having gone inside The Aedicule to pay his respects and offer a prayer on behalf of his subjects. It was all good PR but that evening he retired to a luxury hotel with a few glasses of champagne and the company of his Foreign Affairs Ministerial adviser  Aurora Napoli.

Graziano meanwhile spent his evening with his wife and three children walking through the old city and taking in the sights. His eldest son Andrew was 18 now and joined his parents to enjoy a glass of beer sat near the old walls with some falafel and shawarma while the two younger children, Benedict and Notburga enjoyed the ice cream and soda. It was the first time the children had been to Jerusalem and Graziano wanted them to see it as a fun trip not just a religious pilgrimage. Tomorrow while he and his cousin meet with the Hozland representatives his wife and children would head to the Dead Sea for the day joining them that evening for the formal dinner with the government of Vanora.

When morning came Graziano was not surprised that he was ready long before his cousin. The Empires four representatives, the Emperor, Consul, Aurora Napoli and Lt Serena Di Augastino, the Emperors Advocatus or steward. The group made their way to the old city in order to meet with the Hozland representatives.

Offline EricaHozland

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 10:26:24 PM »
The Hozland Royal Family had gathered when they heard the invitation had been accepted and wondered exactly who to take. Naturally King John would go. As the head of the family and the nation he would be expected on any such pilgrimage. While they considered Varona a safe nation to visit they also didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket by sending all the family. While national security may say sending the King and the heir overseas together was a mistake that wasn't to much of a problem for John. Prince Rupert may have been the heir on paper but his homosexuality meant that his father was likely to pass him over for the throne. The decision on who to appoint instead was still an open matter in John's mind and at the moment he was leaning towards his youngest child, Prince Mark, and as a result Princess Helena completed their party.

The three of them had a slightly different experience than Marco. While the Catholic King had ventured to the Holy Sepulchre that bore less importance to the Hozlanders. They were here to pay respect not just to Jesus but to the "Prophets", those of Jesus blood who continued his work. First they went to the spot where their faith told them James was thrown from the temple and beaten to death. Joining hands in a circle the three royals and their accompanying staff offered brief prayers for both their families and the nation before moving on. They then ventured to a little known Church, while to many Christians it was thought to just be one of the many ancient ones that were dotted around the old city. To members of the Christian Prophets it was thought to be the place were James the Less sang at the first Mass ever conducted and now the pilgrims gathered together to sing for a while in praise of James' life. The next stage was to visit the site the brother Simeon was crucified at and there they spent time in meditation and prayer. While the final of Jesus brothers, Jude, had died outside the city there was still a portion of pilgrimage for him. A small chapel built by the families ancestors sat close by the Holy Sepulchre complex, there the family annually placed carpenters tools as a sign of love and respect for the man. There were several other locations they each wished to visit. King John made the drive to Caesaria to visit the Church founded by Judah Kyriakos, thought to be the great-grand nephew of Jesus. Rupert meanwhile went to bath in the Sea of Galilee as the faith believed the brothers of Jesus would have in their lifetime. This left Helena who visited a small school for Priests of their faith on the edge of Jerusalem. There own personal tasks complete they reunited and made their way to the King David hotel. The glamorous hotel had been home to some of the rich and famous of the world when they visited and today the penthouse suite would be home to their discussions.

They had arrived just before the Abertonians and John was quiet excited by the prospect of their meeting. As the hotel staff showed the Emperor up to the suite the King himself opened the door to greet him. With a warm handshake  he introduced himself. "Emperor Marco, I'm King John, its a pleasure to meet you. May I introduce my son and heir..." he avoided looking at Rupert as he spoke, "Prince Rupert" the Prince stepped forward and extended his own hand. "and my daughter Princess Helena" she offered a hand to the Emperor. "We've a busy series of things we'd like to discuss but lets get settled first. How has your visit to Jerusalem been?"

Offline Abertone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 10:27:37 PM »
Marco introduced his party and shook each man's hand while giving Helena a small bow. The young Princess was rather pretty so perhaps this wouldn't be as boring a meeting as Marco had anticipated. The Abertonians got settled down and Marco enjoyed a glass of wine as he listened to the King speak. "Jerusalem has been interesting" Marco said rather convincingly. He hadn't been that interested in the sights but had ticked the boxes that the media would. It was Graziano that was more interested.

"We've enjoyed our visit Your Majesty" Graziano began, "For myself and my wife its another pilgrimage but I find there is always something new to learn or experience. For our son Andrew its been he's first as an adult so for him its been a little different. I have enjoyed my two youngest visiting the city for the first time. It's a little like being here for the first time again in some ways." He had hoped that Marco would take up the conversation but he seemed a little unconcerned by the whole matter. "I'd be interested to hear how the city is for your faith? It seems the city is what is pulling us together so it would be interesting to hear what your experiences here are like."

Offline EricaHozland

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2022, 10:32:13 PM »
King John was in agreement with Marco's words even if the Abertonian seemed less enthustiastic than his cousin. "Our faith was in many ways born in the city. After the death of Jesus we believe his siblings were the true continuation of his faith. They lived in the city, they wandered its streets preaching and they in some cases died here having helped us become the people we are today. While your people hold to the gospels we see them as less important than the words of the Prophets. Today each of us took a trip to places that have a personal connection to ourselves. We dream of one day building a specific place of worship as grand as those of the Christian faith. We try and come every year however its becoming even more important for us as we try and make friends across the world, yourself included." John hoped he hadn't caused offence and was confident that he hadn't.

"Not to be rude though we didn't agree to meet to simply discuss the wonders of the Holy City." John said bringing the small talk to an end. "I'm hopeful that we can put in place an arrangement for us to support this cities institutions connected to Jesus. We'd like to look at us establishing a new University here. For us we would heavily back the teaching of theology to boost our number of priests meanwhile also provide people with a chance to visit and study among such a great city."

Offline Abertone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 03:33:46 PM »
Graziano was a man of deep faith and had expected to be annoyed at the Hozlanders faith but he actually believed they could find some common ground. Especially when King John began talking about supporting the existing institutions. The idea of funding support for things like colleges, museums and churches would help fluff his cousin, the Emperors, popularity as usually the folks back home loved the Catholic Church. As Consul he could naturally offer advice on such matters and so leaned over to his cousin. "It would be a good look back home if we could get a few places here to show some Abertonian connections. Helping these so called Prophets gain more Priests is a little bit of an issue but if we get more than they do passing out of this University then we are winning, also we could potentially get some of them back on the right track." He explained.

Marco nodded, "I think we could do something. It would be nice to see our clergy educated in the city where the Lord spent his final few days. It would give them an insight stronger than just studying in Abertone. We should perhaps approach the government of Varona and find a sight. Ideally I'd love one within the walls of the Old City but obviously space is at a premium here but I'm sure we can find somewhere close by. In terms of funding I would want it to be just the two of us, no corporations or outside bodies as I believe if we are doing something Holy then we shouldn't allow questions be asked of the donors. Do you think this is acceptable."

Offline EricaHozland

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 11:03:41 PM »
King John was happy that they had found some ground to begin a friendship on. "Excellent suggestion. I'm sure between the two families we can rustle up enough funding to ensure that the potential school is well equipped and resourced. While it will no doubt take several years for us to get our first clergy from it I'm confident we can make it a success." The first step had been relatively straight forward. Now came the more difficult work. "I'd like us to have a good flow of trade between us. The problem is I don't believe such a thing will be good for all sections of either of our industries. What I propose therefore is that we each appoint a representative to speak on our behalf about trade. They each may safeguard three areas of trade for their nation. On these tariffs may be set individually and each nation may establish it in a tit for tat basis. Everything else would reduce by 0.25% as a minimum until we reach a point that only nations in which a trade deal stands have lower tariffs."

Offline Abertone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 08:51:30 PM »
"That seems a prudent suggestion" Graziano began to speak knowing his brother would have very little interest in the matter at hand. There would be likely calls for the viniculture industry and quiet likely the fishing lobby but that would be for a discussion when they returned home. "I would suggest" Graziano had turned to address his brother. "That we accept that, of course we would need to see proof that the goods had originated from within your nation but thta's more or less a standard arrangement in trade deals. I think its safe to say we have a deal, unless of course there are any hoops to jump at your end in terms of parliamentary oversight or such?"