Author Topic: Breaking New Ground  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Gusano

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Gusano
Breaking New Ground
« on: May 01, 2023, 10:08:22 PM »

To: His Majesty King David III of the Kingdom East Moreland
From:- The Veiled One, Lady Aurora of the Eyrie of Gusano

I am writing to you in order to fulfil my promise to my people to establish connections with our neighbours. While the Eyrie and East Moreland do not share a physical border I would like to extend the first of my inviations to you. I would like you, or a representative of your selecting, to meet with me and my advisers at a place we are called simply, "The Vale". It is my hope that we shall build a new settlement in our nation that bridges the people living in the region known as The Solitude and the rest of the Eyrie. We are holding a breaking of new ground ceremony at the location my surveyors have picked out and I would be honoured if East Moreland would join us. I understand East Moreland have constructed a city where previously there were none and therefore think there is much we can learn from your experiences. I would also like this oppurtunity be one where we officially exchange ambassadors for the first time.

I wait, hopeful, of your acceptance of this invitation.

Best Wishes
Lady Aurora.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Breaking New Ground
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 09:09:46 PM »

To: Lady Aurora

I would like to extend my thanks for sending an invitation, especially one so significant in your reign. It would be my honour to visit Gusano along with my Foreign Minister, Duchess Orlaith Kade, to witness this important occasion in your nations history. I look forward to meeting yourself and seeing your nation which, from what I have read, seems a very beautiful land.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

King David III of East Moreland

Offline Gusano

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 10:58:29 PM »
One of the problems with the Eyrie possessing so much territory with such a small population meant that it was the case that most places lacked names. That could sometimes make travelling around rather difficult as you couldn't easily give directions to "The middle of that field just outside the forest where the river runs through it". With this in mind it was important that the Morelanders not be permitted to just wander across the land as it would be rather embarrassing that the King of East Moreland got lost. To make sure that this didn't happen Bartolomé Ybarra, the Master of Letters, had been sent to the nations single international airport to make sure that the guests arrived and reached the meeting spot safely.

That had meant Aurora, known as the Veiled One, was free to travel to a random spot that was currently nothing more than a dot on a map. Soon it was hoped this dot, that marked nothing more important than a grassy plain flanked to the east by pine forests with a gently babbling stream running by, would become a "gateway city". If you glanced to the East, just beyond the forest the snowy peaks that dominated the North East of the nation could be seen, snow clinging to their peaks. It was among these grey and white outcrops that The Solitude existed, the spiritual and cultural heartland of the Gusano and a place so sacred not even the King of East Moreland would be permitted to set foot there. This set the agenda though for this dot, it would become "The Vale" a crossing point between the more secular lowlands and the spiritual peaks.  For now though a huge golden tent had been erected. It was large enough to contain a vast table that would provide seating for many of the Eyrie's grandees and any delegation the Morelanders would bring. Outside several large yurts had been set up should the Morelanders stay the night.

While Aurora put the finishing touches to her long black hooded robe and gave her silver mask a final polish Bartolomé stood ready to greet their guests from across the Illumic. As they arrived he wondered whether they would have expected the mass bands of a military and some kind of ceremonial honour guard. In the Eyrie though the military was rather small and largely committed to ensuring no one from the lowlands entered the Solitude. Bartolomé bowed deeply, "Your Majesty I am privledged to the Master of Letters, Lord Scribe Bartolomé Ybarra. We are deeply honoured to welcome you and your party to the Eyrie. I do trust you do not mind a helicopter ride?"

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 03:29:04 PM »
The journey was a short one, a short hop over the Illumic and it was time to land. Along with him he had brought his cousin and Foreign Minister Orlaith Kade. The two often meet at Northfort Palace but it was rare for them both to go overseas together. The low key arrival had actually surprised David somewhat as he was used to the pageantry that came with state visits however he knew the Eyrie was very different to any other nation that he had visited and so perhaps they shunned such demonstrations. As Lord Scribe Bartolomé greeted him the King extended a hand, it may not be the Gusano way but it was something his own nation expected. "Lord Scribe its great to be here. May I introduce my cousin, Duchess Orlaith. She'll also be acting as my foreign minister." Orlaith gave a nod of acknowledgement and then the pair of them followed him towards the helicopter. "Perhaps you could tell me what to expect from a meeting with the Veiled One, the do's and don'ts would be useful?"

Offline Gusano

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 11:51:43 PM »
Bartolomé was sure to offer help to the Duchess to board the helicopter and once the Air Force had managed to secure the two guests he himself took a seat. Even as he was settling down the whirling of blades began and soon they were lifting up. King David's question was rather welcome, he had a few things he needed to achieve before they landed at "The Vale" in about 30 mins time. "We have many rules regarding The Veiled One, however as a foreign monarch many of them will not concern you so we need not worry too much. I would say the most important ones are to not try and see behind her mask, she has given her identity to our God in order to receive the wisdom we need to guide our nation. She even takes on a new name which is said to be symbolic of what they hope to achieve during their reign. Our current Veiled One uses the name Aurora as she wants to begin a new dawn, in truth just a set of policies, for our nation. A second rule you should be aware of is she will always be accompanied by the Sergeant of the Guard, in this case Florián Montero who is a literal giant and that image is further embellished as he wears a bear mask and cloak, regardless of the weather.  I know your nation is fond of swords" Bartolomé did his best to see whether his guests were carrying them. "As such, and because it is part of your faith, there will be no expectation to give them up however the Sergeant of the Guard will insist that you do not come within a swords length of Aurora unless she initiates the closing of that gap and then once she has opened it again it is maintained. This is not a trust issue as such but rather the fact that the Veiled One is to be kept pure from weapons, her mind being her weapon should it be required. I hope this is not going to present a problem?"

As he glanced down the countryside was whipping by below and he could see a military helicopter off each side of their own helicopter. The pilot banked slightly and they began following a river, "This river will eventually mark the boundary between the Funnel and The Solitude. For now that border is two miles in that direction." He pointed off to their right. "I'm afraid as Master of Scribes I will be expected to give you a formal introduction. I am aware that beyond your title as King of East Moreland you have quiet a few from elsewhere and I will need to recite those to Lady Aurora, so could I perhaps ask you to give me a run down of how you would like them presenting. I am also expected to give a run down of your family, I hope this question is not too insensitive but do you mind me asking if I should include your sadly deceased son Prince Caspian in this or does your faith have any issue speaking of the dead?"

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 09:23:10 PM »
David was rather enjoying the flight, beautiful countryside and a discussion about another nations rituals. It made him hopeful for what was to come over the next day or so. He made a mental note to avoid moving close to the Veiled One. He felt a little sad that she had in a way had to give up her own identity in order to rule a nation but that gave him a sense of respect for her, it was clear that the young girl was willing to undertake a life of service to her people rather than live a youths existence and that spoke of her being a decent person, at least he hoped so. "Let me first explain Lord Bartolome about our swords" David instinctively placed a hand on the basket hilt of his straight cavalry sword. "To a Morelander these represent the highest values, that of loyalty, bravery , honesty and most importantly for you trustworthiness. I have given an undertaking to come here for talks with a friend, or at least what I hope will become one. As such you should know the swords will not be used for any purpose other than as a symbol of our status in our faith, Lady Aurora nor anyone else need worry. We however shall respect your customs and so the Sergeant of the Guard need not worry.

Before answering the Master of Scribes David gave the matter much thought. "I've been lucky enough to travel much of Mundus and meet some great people. I'm also lucky enough to have been granted some interesting titles. In addition to being King of East Moreland I'm also the Duke of Seabrooke, Grand Cordon of the Most Glorious Order of the Double Dragon, Baron Grey & Earl of Simcoe in Seaforth, I'm an honorary member of the Ngāti Rongomaiwahine Iwi, Baronet of Iskor Inlet in Lodja through my wife and holder of the Croix de l’Ordre du Mérite Diplomatique. However the title I'm most proud of is actually the rank of Captain in the Alpine Cadre, each of the others are in a sense an accident of birth, that put me into those titles of gave me a chance to interact with people who took the action of giving me the title. Captain of the Alpine Cadre I earned all by myself......twice." He smiled remembering his recent re-running of the Cadre's final training exercise. "I trust that is everything you need?"

Offline Gusano

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 11:59:54 PM »
The Master of Scribes removed a small, old looking, black bound book from under the seats of the helicopter. At the top already written was todays date and the words "The Visit of King David of East Moreland". There were some notes there already giving Bartolomé some background about their guests. It was tradition that any visitor to meet with the Veiled One had such a page and these black leather books would be placed in the Eyrie's vaults ready for the perusal of various scholars at some point in the future. "I thank Your Majesty for the understanding you have shown and the information you have given me."

Somewhere in the Gusanon countryside below final preparations were taking place. There were three huge marquees set up, one in red, one in gold and one in black. The Red one was put aside for the Morelanders, there were dividers inside to make rooms including a fully furnished lounge in which works of art the Master of Scribes thought they may like, a vast array of beverages and foods. A staff stood ready to provide King David with anything he required during his stay and there were even several areas established as bedrooms. The gold one was where the meeting would take place. It had its own kitchen from which the aroma of lunch, a pig slowly roasting, washed over the tent. It also had an area for a banquet and for people to sit and talk around a nice oak table. The final tent was Auroras own personal one. It was a large bedroom with everything from her room back in the Solitude laid out almost identically. As the incoming chopper was heard a staff of around 100 people made their way from the gold tent to await the arrival.

As the aircraft touched down it would perhaps be an odd experience for the King of East Moreland. He was meet at the door of the helicopter by a large gentleman who both in height and attire resembled a bear. The Sergeant of the Guard, Florián Montero, wore a cloak made out of the skin of a bear and this was topped off with a mask that in many ways could be considered simply a hollowed out skull of a bear. He didn't speak a word to the King instead once the Morelander was out of the aircraft he performed a quick about turn and shouldered a large ceremonial war-hammer. Two files of men dressed in black cloaks and black iron helmet appeared to make an aisle into the tent. Montero lead the guests to the tent and as they were about to enter. It was now that the Master of Scribes scurried forward and stopped in front of the King. Inside the tent sat in a wooden chair was a figure dressed head to toe in black, only a shiny silver mask breaking the blackness. The figure was a small girl and she did her best to sit bolt up right regally as possible. "Lady Aurora, representative of the mighty Aetharus, your guests have arrived." He stepped to the side to almost reveal the King, "I ask you to bless His Majesty King David Ironside the third of that name, Captain of the East Moreland Alpine Cadre, Duke of Seabrooke, Grand Cordon of the Most Glorious Order of the Double Dragon, Baron Grey & Earl of Simcoe. Member of the Ngāti Rongomaiwahine Iwi, Baronet of Iskor Inlet and holder of the Croix de l’Ordre du Mérite Diplomatique. Father of Prince Caspian, Princess Rhiannon and Prince Llewellyn. May his stay in the Eyrie bring joy to both nations." The assembled ranks of servants applauded and Aurora stood. Her movement caused her hood to fall back slightly and revealed a few whisps of blonde hair that as she got closer to King David he would have been able to see feint pale blue highlights. She stopped at a point that the Sergeant of the Guard had calculated was just over a sword blades length away.

"King David I am excited that you accepted. While I am relatively new to ruling a nation I have seen what your nation has achieved and I hope that you don't mind me saying this I hope to achieve similar results in less time. Its my hope to pick your brains and learn from you. I hope that our God Aetharus and your own Gods help us make great progress. Would you like to come and sit down?"

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2023, 07:26:07 PM »
The set up was perhaps the least regal David had ever experienced. There was no large palace or stately estate but just a series of tents and in a sense that was why he liked it. The scene appealed to the history nerd in him as he could imagine King a thousand years ago meeting in the same manner to discuss treaties and matters of the day. Even the attire of the Sergeant of the Guard fit that narrative. The King followed the bear man along and then waited for the introduction. He felt a little sorry for Aurora, he'd been told she was still a teenager but her identity seemed to have been taken. He hoped that when he talked to her it was not as bad as the faceless anonymous persona seemed at first glance. He fought the urge to offer his hand in greeting. "Lady Aurora its great to be here. I'm certain we can have a great discussion." He turned and introduced his cousin, "This is my cousin Orlaith, she is also our Foreign Minister." Orlaith stepped forward to the same point as David.

"Lady Aurora I hope you'll accept this is a token of our friendship." Orlaith wasn't sure who to hand the silver bracelet over. It had been made by the royal Smith and was a simple silver band with patterns of feathers along it. "We are excited to hear of your project here, The Vale I think you're calling it?"

Offline Gusano

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 01:59:09 PM »
It was times like this the mask was a menace. She watched as a servant took the bracelet and transferred it over to Aurora, she picked it up and examined it, her face smiling broadly but unseen to the Morelanders. She slipped it on and admired it. "Its wonderful, thank you very much. " She lead them deeper into the tent to where the makeshift lounge was. She waited for David and his cousin to get settled and then joined them. Between the couches was a model of a city, not a huge city but a modern one, blocks of metal and glass, wide streets, green areas and even what looked like an airport. "This is why I asked you to come. We are building this city from scratch here. We are...." She hesitated and sat forward looking at the model. "here" she pointed to a building just to one side of a large park with a lake in the centre. "This building will be the Solitudes Embassy, our culture means most people are never allowed beyond those foothills close by as beyond is a spiritual place, the city will act as a way of us bringing our spiritual way of life in The Solitude to the rest of the nation. It is our hopes that it can also be an economic centre for our nation, we lack such a thing at the moment. We asked you to come because you have similar experience of building a city from nothing and we'd like to learn from that. Can you tell me the process of Chamwick?"

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 09:49:37 PM »
David shuffled forward in his chair to peer over the model. It looked rather nice, for a modern city, Chamick or as it had once been called Technology City was a city that David disliked but saw as a neccessity for East Moreland continuing to lead the world in technological and scientific endeavours. That city was similar to the one that "the Vale" would grow to be but in terms of design it had nothing on the elegant older buildings of places like Northfort and Ostlake. It was a key feature of most Morelander cities that some of the older features remained and that was why David loved them. The fact though that this new city did seem to be rather green made the King hopeful that it would actually turn out rather nice. "I have to say the city looks like you've tried to cater for people having plenty of open space. I like that. The parks in Northfort are beautiful especially in spring and I love taking my daughter there. I can imagine the people moving here thinking likewise. As for the embassy idea can I ask why, someone like me for example, can not visit beyond those hills. Traditions interest me and I'm sure there is an interesting story behind it." His thoughts then turned to the question he had been asked.

"Chamwick for us started off in a very different manner to your Vale. You are trying to build it to effectively unite two separate parts of a nation. What we tried to achieve in Chamwick was to set up a place for technological excellence, particularly in helping the next generation. We had reasonably high underemployment among young graduates in STEM subjects and fearing they'd leave abroad we hoped to expand businesses like EMAC, OsmanTech, SFR etc and so by looking to create this centre of excellence we eventually achieved that aim. The problem was all the education institutes, research facilities, workshops and small scale start ups we wanted to create needed housing, and then those residents need lesuire space, and schools, and hospitals which meant before you know it we've not got a campus we've got a city. That is how Chamwick came about, a city to meet the need of a job gap. You face a different problem, yours is more cultural but I think there are similar challenges. While we built science labs you look like your building cultural hubs. Would that be a fair assessment?"

Offline Gusano

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 12:20:40 PM »
Aurora had expected the question about her nations division and had in mind a rehearsed response. "Our faith is one that believes humanity began in those hills." she pointed towards the snow capped mountains, "A God named Aetharus, who takes the form of an Eagle, brought that land here from the realm of the Gods to save humans from what I supposed we'd call a cosmic war. Over time once in this world those people left and explored Mundus spreading across its surface to become all the races and cultures we see today however to re-enter the territory takes the ability to be able to commune with the Gods. Those of us lucky enough to be born into the Order of the Talon have that ability and so can travel freely between Mundus and what we believe is Aetharus realm. Now in terms of what would happen if you were to go there we believe you will have tainted the purity, while there is no prescribed punishment historically in the middle ages for example people were simply killed on sight. For us though its now just to ensure our traditions are upheld." She hoped her explanation made sense. "I like the idea of keeping the nature aspect that we have here currently, rest assured we'll have plenty of green space. I wonder though whether we could persuade your Chamwick Institute to open an overseas academy here?"

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2023, 10:31:56 PM »
It was certainly an interesting origin story of sorts but clearly nonsense. David though was respectful enough to keep that opinion to himself. "You say it takes luck to become a member of the Order of the Talon, just how is that luck assessed?" David was keen to hear more about the Order, after all he'd had mixed results from his dealings with religious orders, first there was the Sisterhood of Helus that had been a thorn in his side, ironically until he married a member, and then there was of course the Bene Gesserit, a group he equally despised but kind of admired. Matters turned back to the business of diplomacy and David was pleased it involved education, he saw such programmes as a good entry level for relations between nations. "In terms of a Chamwick Institute I'm happy to support that but surely a better approach would be for your nation to run the institute in partnership with the Chamwick one. I would therefore like to suggest that we establish a four year degree jointly administered. We have students do the first year in their homeland, second year at the institute in the other country, a year in industry and then finally their final year back home in their own country. We get the benefit of students experiencing each others cultures and some autonomy. I'd be happy with a system like that."

Offline Gusano

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2023, 01:45:58 PM »
"How is luck assessed?" Aurora repeated that part of the question, her mind wondering exactly that, "Its actually rather simple. Our druids maintain lists of things that have happened on days of great joy for our people, anyone whose day of birth matches these is believed to be fortunate. As a result on the first birthday a Druid checks for further omens that are recorded as being positive, I guess you could say that two good reports mean your into the exclusive club, at present around 80,000 people wthin the Eyrie are members however not all work actively within it." As David spoke of a joint degree the mask hid her smile. "I too would support such a programme, I've been sadly neglected in terms of exposure to the world beyind the Eyrie and as a result my understanding of Mundus is drawn from books and travel documentaries, and I suspect they don't always give a totally genuine view of these lands outside my own. I am though planning on changing that and giving people similar age to me that opportunity is something I'm happy to go along with. In terms of managing an institute perhaps you could either suggest to me someone we can put in position to establish it initially or who we could borrow for say a year to get things rolling?"