Author Topic: The Celestial Throne  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
The Celestial Throne
« on: May 29, 2023, 04:12:19 AM »
THE CELESTIAL THRONE

Prince, Pilot, Soldier, Leader. Eijirō, the reigning Emperor of Daitō, has held many roles throughout his life, serving his country dutifully for over a decade. This is his story, and the story of those who know him, from his family to his squadron, and from his youth into the modern day. NOTE: Posts will not be necessarily made in chronological order, however, they will be sorted in the index below.

Index
   • "On Alert" — 2017-02-26
   • "Sokui no Rei" — 2020-11-06
   • "Darkest of Days" — 2023-07-25
   • "The Prince and the Emperor" — 2023-11-25
   • "In These Time-honoured Halls..." — 2023-12-07
   • "The End of Aggression" — 2023-12-08
   •
   •
   •
   •
   •
   •
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 04:17:24 AM by Daitō »

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: The Celestial Throne
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 09:45:30 PM »
"Sokui no Rei"
06 November, 2020
01:00 PM
Shinshiden Hall, Imperial Palace, Tenkyō

It was a cool, November afternoon in the old Imperial capital, Tenkyō. Still was the air, save a gentle breeze which let banners of many a vibrant color flutter in the wind. Not a voice could be heard, even as many stood in the courtyard, waiting silently for the moment that was soon to come. For today was no ordinary day; as was a time-honored tradition dating back millennia, albeit no doubt with some changes along the way, today, the transition between eras was to be made complete. Ignoring, of course, a few Emperors who had reigned twice, this was, per the history books, the 200th time that an Emperor had been enthroned, and so, on the eve of the Tenshi era, no expense had been spared for the event. It was a ceremony that occurred not only in celebration of a new era, but also a celebration of Daitō—no, Fusan—as a whole. Of course, Eijirō could scarcely see it through the veil which surrounded the Takamikura throne. For today was the completion of a personal journey, begun not merely on the 1st of May or even the 12th of March, 2018, but one which he had walked since the day was born. In a way, by a stroke of fate, all of his life had been leading up to this moment. Though he didn't personally believe in such things, it was as though his destiny had arrived.

To think, just three years prior, he was fighting for his life over the skies of Kalasin. He, a boy with a dream of flight, grounded now and forevermore. He, the cadet who had wanted so eagerly to serve his nation, now made to be its figurehead and guide. He, the pilot who had become his nation's first "ace" in over fifty years, now tasked with befriending those he had once been taught to scorn. He, who had so desired to walk with the people, now put on a pedestal as someone to admire. Everything was going to change, even his name. Soon enough, few would speak the name of his birth, of his old life. Soon, he would just be "His Majesty, the Emperor" and merely "Emperor". Even in death, he would not be known by his actual name, at least, not in his homeland. Abroad, he might still be called Eijirō, but here, out of respect to his position, he would be recorded as Emperor Tenshi. Such was tradition, and tradition was a powerful thing even if many underestimated it. The office of Emperor showed continuity, it was a position which commanded respect across all levels of society, and was a guiding light to the people in the darkest of times. Though it meant much would change, it was something that Eijirō was ready for. In a way, he had been groomed for the role since he was a boy, and now, it was time to take his place in history.

As footsteps slowly drew nearer, Eijirō knew that soon, it would be time. He glanced down to his sides, where on lacquered stands inlayed with gold leaf, two of the sacred treasures, as well as the state and privy seals, were placed. He would straighten his posture and firmly grip his shaku baton, made from wood of the Sakaki tree, as before him, the veil was slowly parted. To his left, out of the corner of his eye, a second throne sat, smaller but no less important, at least to him. Upon it sat his "partner", Mayumi, who had been granted special dispensation to be enthroned alongside him owing to the rather unique circumstances of their relationship. It had been a peculiar tradition among the Imperial family since the early 18th century, whereupon the men of the family would marry in two separate ceremonies, one, a secular wedding ceremony in which the bride and groom received one another, so to speak, and a Teidō wedding which formalized their marriage solely in the eyes of the Kami. As Eijirō and Mayumi had completed the first part of this back in 2019, in the eyes of the country, she had already been the Crown Princess for over a year, and so, she was obligated to participate in the ceremony. Had it not been for this transition, the full process would've undoubtedly been completed, but as it stood, it was now scheduled for next month.

When the servants had fully drawn back the veil, a drum rang out, marking the beginning of the end. The Prime Minister, Koya Shiozaki, walked up to a microphone placed directly opposite to the throne and bowed. Koya Shiozaki—Baron Koya Shiozaki—was one of the few people in the Rikken Minshutō party which Eijirō could personally respect, as one of a painful few members of the party's leadership who was considered a moderate, but that was besides the point. As he stood up from the throne, a servant, dressed in a black sokutai, stepped up to the throne and gently took the new Emperor's shaku from him, then another approached and handed him a piece of paper, folded parallel seven times. It was his speech. He unfolded the paper, and under the watchful gaze of the world—both dignitaries who had attended from far away lands and millions who tuned in to watch from around the world—he finally began to speak.

"Having previously succeeded to the imperial throne in accordance with the Constitution of the Empire of Daitō and the Special Measures Provision of the Imperial House Law, I now perform the ceremony of enthronement at the Shishin-den Hall and proclaim my enthronement to those at home and abroad." He said in a calm, collected manner, full of poise in how he carried himself. Everyone else was silent, almost deafeningly so; it even seemed as though the natural world had gone quiet, paying homage to the new Emperor. "I deeply reflect that, for nearly twenty years, His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor-Emeritus, constantly prayed for the happiness of the people and for peace across the world, always sharing in the joys and sorrows of the people, and showing compassion throughout his rule." He paused yet again, this time perhaps to allow the words of praise for his father to set in. "I pledge hereby to act in accordance with the powers vested in me by the constitution and the divine as leader of the Empire and as heir to the legacy of our Imperial Ancestors, always wishing for the happiness of the people and peace around the world, turning my thoughts to the people and standing with them. I sincerely hope, as we enter this new era, that our country, through our people's wisdom and unceasing efforts, achieves further development and contributes to the friendship and peace of the international community and the welfare and prosperity of mankind."

After a moment, as the paper containing his speech was taken away and the shaku returned, Prime Minister Shiozaki bowed and then approached the microphone before bowing once more. He then pulled his own speech from a pocket, and after a moment, he would begin.
   "I have respectfully conveyed, internally and externally, the enthronement of His Majesty, the Emperor on this day and in this place. It is a great pleasure for the people that the Emperor has held the ceremony of accession to the Imperial throne at the state hall of the Imperial Palace to promulgate his enthronement worldwide." He said, speaking into the microphone. "I respect His Majesty more that he will learn from the example of his predecessor, the Emperor Emeritus, who has shared the joys and sufferings of the Daitōjin people, and that he will follow in his father's footsteps in acting in accordance with the constitution, to lead the Empire and its people. I acknowledge your pledge to ensure that Daitō grows and develops, that it contributes to peace and friendship in the world, and the welfare and prosperity of mankind. The people shall look up to His Majesty as a symbol and leader of the state and of the country's unity, and I pledge on behalf of the people to achieve a fresh start for Daitō so that it may be more open to the world, more energetic, and more cultured. The Daitōjin people shall strive for peace in the world, and for the welfare of mankind. I shall end my words of congratulation by praying for peace in the Tenshi era and for the wellbeing of the Emperor." He finished his speech before taking three steps back and saying, "I request those in attendance to face forwards."I request those in attendance to face forwards." before, with a power and respect befitting the importance of the ceremony, shouting "Tennōheika Banzai!"—in effect, "May His Majesty, the Emperor, live Ten-Thousand Years!"—as he lead all of those assembled, from the dignitaries in attendance from across the country to the soldiers who stood in the courtyard, in swearing their fealty to their liege. This was repeated thrice, and as it did so, in the distance the roar of cannons in salute could be heard. So mighty was such a cry that perhaps Amaterasu-Ōmikami, the goddess of the Sun, would've heard it and that Ryūjin, dragon god of the seas, would've been startled by its power. At long last, the new era had begun.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 04:45:32 PM »
"Darkest of Days"
25 July, 2023
06:58 PM
Imperial Palace, Shinkyō

The clock continued to count down, its continuous ticking a reminder that every moment of what was to come mattered. Eijirō knew, now more than ever, he needed to be seen, to be heard as the country lay here, filled not only with sorrow, but anger that such an attack could occur. Yet here he was, sitting in his office having a "touch-up" done before his address to the nation, all because someone in the IHM[1] thought it would be wrong for him to look as, well, himself. With a sigh, he allowed them to continue, even if for but a moment, as it gave him a chance to think. It had been a long day. Originally, he had been scheduled to stop by a shrine outside of Shinkyō after his visit to an orphanage up in Otsu—officially to bring attention to issues in "the system", but in reality as a sort of publicity stunt—and yet now, here he was, in a nation that was under attack. The images he'd seen, the reports he heard... It was sobering. Yet now, he needed to bottle it all up and assure the nation, to serve as a unifying figure, and to ensure that a proper response could be coordinated in the coming days. Less than a minute later, they were done, and Eijirō knew, then, what he had to do.
   "Your Majesty," said someone from across the room, though with the lighting, it was a little difficult to see them. "It's time." they added. In the room with him were many people he knew, a few of whom he actually cared about but, given the situation, there was no time to talk. As Eijirō looked over the speech prepared for him, someone motioned a final countdown with his hand. 5... 4... 3... 2... Time to speak.

"Good evening." Eijirō said, looking into the camera. "Today, at 9:15 AM, our nation, our people, our very way of life came under attack in a calculated, deliberate, and most tragically, deadly act of terror. The victims, our countrymen, were in the streets, their offices, and their homes. Clerks and businesspeople, secretaries and government officials, friends and family members, women and children, all were lost. While exact figures are hard to come by, we know that thousands of lives have been snuffed out in an act of terror the likes of which this country, if not the world, has never seen before." He paused for a second. "The scenes on the ground, of buildings in ruins, of fires burning, of the dead littering the streets, and of towers collapsing have filled our hearts with shock and sorrow, but also a quiet, virtuous anger. The action taken against us was designed to break us, to make us fear our attackers. But they failed, and our country has been stirred to action.

"And our great nation will act, for we have been moved to defend ourselves. Attacks such as this may destroy our buildings, may claim lives, but they cannot, they will not break our will. They may have destroyed steel, yes, but they have been met with the unflinching steel resolve of the Daitōjin people. Today, we were attacked because, in 2017, we saw fit to stand up to aggression and tyranny, and because, our hand forced by the obstinance of the old regime in Kalasin, we were forced to excise this tyranny that clouded the hearts of man and brought suffering and death to untold millions. Daitō was attacked in a vain attempt at revenge, an act which shall be met through all necessary means in order to end this threat which now plagues our nation.

"Today, our nation and the world saw evil, the very worst excesses of mankind." He paused yet again. "But it also saw the best of Daitō. The first-responders who, without regard for their own safety, gave of themselves everything in their power to rescue those still trapped at ground zero, many dozens of whom made the ultimate sacrifice. The priests and monks who gave comfort to the dying. The many thousands of civilians who aided in search and rescue operations in the aftermath of the attack and who, even now, donate blood and supplies to those affected by the attack.

"I—" He paused, struggling to get the words out. "I don’t believe there are even a handful of nations in this world that could still produce such unquestioned sacrifice. It is as though it was 1945 all over again, when the Empire’s heart was exposed to the terror bombing of the Ardian Empire. It’s the same spirit of resistance, the same determination…" He continued as he glanced briefly around the room. "The same courage. Those who stepped up in this, the darkest hour we have seen in close to eighty years, have exemplified the spirit of our nation, and to them, we are forever grateful.

"In the aftermath of the attack, in consultation with the cabinet and the assent of the Prime Minister, I activated our nation’s emergency response plans. Our military stands ready, and our emergency teams are working in Awara to help with local rescue efforts. Our first priority is to get help to those who have been wounded and to take any and all precautions to protect our citizens at home and abroad from future attacks. The functions of our government will continue uninterrupted, and government agencies which had been evacuated in response to the attack, as well as the risk of a second strike, will be reopened tonight to essential personnel and will resume normal operations tomorrow morning.

"As the Imperial Diet is presently dissolved, I have, at the advice of the cabinet, decided to invoke an emergency session of the House of Peers in order to make provisional decisions for the Diet until elections are held later this week." He took a moment to think. "I recognize that this measure is unprecedented in the history of our nation, but until that time-honored tradition of ours can be upheld, we must have a legislature which is capable of acting on the behalf of our country. Our financial institutions remain intact and strong, and tomorrow, our economy will open for business.

"Recognizing that, owing to the nature of this attack, we know where it originated, I have spoken to President Kaikaew with regards to the present situation in Kalasin. Furthermore, I have directed the full resources of our intelligence services to tracking down the culprits, and I call on the Diet to authorize whatever measures are needed to put an end to this threat, even if it means once more deploying forces to the country. I deeply appreciate the members of the Diet who have joined me in strongly condemning the attack on our soil, and on the behalf of the Daitōjin people, I thank the many world leaders around the world who have called to offer their condolences and support.

"In the days to come, no matter our response, we will prevail. Daitō and her partners around the world will join with all of those who wish nothing more than for peace on Mundus and security across the globe. And on the behalf of the Daitōjin people, no matter your race nor creed nor walk of life, I humbly ask that you pray for those who grieve, for the children whose lives have been shattered, and for those all across our nation whose sense of safety and security has now been threatened. And I pray that those who have been lost will know peace, and those who have lost a loved one will be comforted. Today is a day that we, as Daitōjin from all walks of life, shall unite in resolve for justice and peace. We have faced down enemies before, and kami willing, we shall do so again. None of us who have lived through this day shall forget it, but we shall move on, and time shall heal all wounds. But now we must go forward, unshaken, to defend our nation and our freedom, for we know our cause is just, and our enemies do as well." He said as he neared the end of his speech. "Thank you, and may the gods preserve Daitō."

1. IHM — Imperial Household Ministry

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2023, 12:19:14 AM »
"The Prince and the Emperor"
25 November, 2023
06:16 PM
Imperial Palace, Shinkyō

Six months and twenty days, Eijirō thought as he glanced out of the window in his study, since the he had last stood in the same room as him, and today, that separation would end. How strange it was, to welcome him back after all that had happened; separated by the law for a crime he did not commit, only to reemerge into a world changed from that he had known before. And yet, as the motorcade pulled up to the Palace, in spite of his mixed feelings on the moment, he couldn't help but feel somewhat relieved that the ordeal was, at long last, over. Between the investigation into his father's murder and now the war in Kalasin, it had been far too much, especially after the discoveries made by advancing troops. The things he'd seen and heard... He'd never be able to forget them. But today was a good day, even as he returned to work on his address set for the 25th, as he would be welcoming home someone he loved, someone he'd known for their entire life. Today, his brother returned to the fold.
   "Your Imperial Majesty, Prince Hidehiko is here to see you." Natsuki Uematsu said, briefly entering the room with a bow before stepping back, careful not to turn his back upon the Emperor. As he did so, Hidehiko entered the room, at which point he received a glare from the erstwhile bodyguard-turned-valet.
   "Your Imperial Majesty, pardon my intrusion." Hidehiko said with a bow.
   "Ah, the long-lost Prince returns." Eijirō said, placing his pen aside before standing up from the desk. "Y'know, I didn't think I'd be seeing you walk free so soon..." He continued as he stepped over to him, looking him over for a moment. It was clear he felt many things as he did so, that he had much on his mind, but even so, after a moment, he pulled him in for a hug, "It's been far too long, Hide-kun."
   "Hide-kun?" Hidehiko said with a laugh. "What, did you hit your head and forget we aren't teenagers anymore?" He smiled.
   "Watch it, I may be your older brother, but I'm still Emperor." The elder brother said with a chuckle before letting go. "I trust you're doing better? I've heard about how they were treating you in there."
   "Honestly? I actually came to enjoy the silence. Helped with meditating, anyways." The younger brother replied. "But yeah, I suppose I'm doing better now. Besides, we got 'em, didn't we?"
   "That's right. And all thanks to you and your admittedly out-there plan. I mean, do you have any idea how long I had to keep quiet about it?"
   "I can only imagine..."

As Hidehiko said this, he stepped over to the desk and caught a brief glimpse of the speech being written. "As our forces transition to a peacekeeping force in the fragile nation, we will not lose sight of our goal. Those who have fled will be hunted, chased down and..." He read aloud before being interrupted by Eijirō, who quickly snatched the paper away. "H-hey! I was reading that..."
   "It's a work in progress, I can't have you reading it when it's not finished. Not that it'll be good even then..." The Emperor said, embarrassed after hearing it aloud.
   "Actually, I think it sounds pretty good." Hidehiko noted. "Of course, I'm still getting caught up on all I missed, so I'm probably missing some of the context, but isn't Kalasin still in the fight?"
   "For now, though we generally don't believe it will by the time I make the address in a few weeks here..." Eijirō said with a forced laugh. "So many people..." He continued, his tone shifting as he did so.
   "Oh?"
   "It's nothing, really—No, that's not true. I don't know how much you heard as of late, but we, uh... We found some stuff which I'm still trying to come to terms with." The elder brother said, looking out of the window. "Women and children who were starved, beaten, among many horrors far worse than I dare to say. We're talking genocide, Hide, and on an almost industrial scale." He paused. "If only I knew this would be the outcome in 2017, maybe then I could've talked to dad, tried to get him to pressure the government not to pull out once Saelim-Mangjul went through, and then maybe those people would still be alive. And if not, then I should've pushed for us to redeploy in 2021, even if under the guise of putting down the PAFK."
   "You have no reason to blame yourself, Eiji." Hidehiko said, placing his hand on his brother's shoulder. "It's not your fault."
   "I wish I could see it like you do, but you're not the one having to send people into harms way. I've heard the reports out of Ranong, it's not looking good. Bloodiest day for the Army since 1970, at the very least." Eijirō sighed. "Look at me, Hide. Why should I be the one to send our boys to die?"
   "Y'know, shortly after you left to join the Navy, dad told me and Sa-chan that we all to do our duty to the nation, no matter what that might be. For me, it turned out that was first chronicling our history for future generations, then sacrificing my freedom for the sake of the nation. Sis is doing the same by representing us on the world stage. But he told me, the night that you left, that you were going to do your duty to the nation by fighting on its behalf, and that it was the most honorable thing any man could strive to do. That's what they're doing, Eiji. And by authorizing their presence there, you're letting them perform the greatest honor in their lives, all while saving the lives of so many people who need us." Hidehiko said. "I'm not saying it's easy—it's never easy. But each and every one of us must set an example for our people, and in that, Eiji, I shall always have your back."
   "Thank you, Hide." Eijirō said with a smile. "I... I'll keep that in mind. I'm sorry."

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 08:05:25 AM »
"In These Time-honoured Halls..."
06 December, 2023
08:12 PM
Imperial Diet Building, Yūranouchi, Sendō Ward, Shinkyō

How many times had he been here, Eijirō thought as he paced along the halls of the Imperial Diet Building in Yūranouchi. How many addresses to the Representatives and Peers—and the nation—had he attended or given? Certainly, from the age of eight onwards, ignoring the few times when he could not attend due to his military service or other factors, he had been in attendance. He'd also sat in on sessions of the House of Representatives on one or two occasions during field trips, back when he was just a kid. In a way, he supposed that this building, this great concrete and wood shrine to democracy was a significant part of his life. And tomorrow, at the head of this chamber, he would be giving one of his most important addresses of his life. But not today. The Diet was closed, and a great many feet scurried about, making the chamber of the House of Peers ready for a joint session of the Imperial Diet, one which he would be speaking to directly.

"Thirty-five." He noted as he looked up at the dais.
   "Your Majesty?" Sadazane Konishi, the Prime Minister and now a fairly good friend of his, asked him. He'd stayed a bit late to welcome Eijirō when he had found out he would be visiting.
   "This will be the thirty-fifth time I've attended a joint session of the Diet, Sadazane." Eijirō sighed. "Eleventh time I'm the one giving the speech too, on account of my father's illness, back before... Well, you know."
   "With all that's happened, you might match his record in just a few short years. Hell, at this rate you're on track to besting even Emperor Kunan himself. Now that'd be something."
   Eijirō was silent for a moment, thinking about that. About how long his Great-Grandfather had been on the throne, and his father before him, too. With all the stress he'd been under, he'd be lucky if he made it to sixty without suffering from a heart attack. "I don't want to think about that, if you don't mind me saying." He noted. "Giving these speeches into my seventies at a minimum, if not longer? I'd say you've got it lucky, Konishi-san. You get to retire, eventually, and that doesn't require the assent of the Diet." He continued. "Nope, for better or for worse, I'm likely gonna be serving until the day I die."
   "I don't envy you, Your Majesty." Sadazane said. "But at the same time, it must be quite the privilege, being looked up to as you are. You have the power to shape the future, just as Emperor Keiō did."
   "And he surrounded himself with only the best and brightest. Just as I have." Eijirō nodded with a smile. "But alas, I'll be lucky if we can straighten all of these chairs before tomorrow night."
   "Everything will be ready by then, Your Majesty." Sadazane said with a bow before he would excuse himself.

"One more day... The war, finally over, yet official in only one more day..." Eijirō muttered under his breath as he looked out over the hall before he, too, would retire for the evening. He had a speech to practice, after all.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 11:25:42 PM by Daitō »

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 09:55:46 AM »
"The End of Aggression"
07 December, 2023
08:57 PM
Imperial Diet Building, Yūranouchi, Sendō Ward, Shinkyō

Unlike last night, the halls of the Imperial Diet building were packed, filled to the brim with observers and reporters. Eijirō could scarcely take a few steps without the characteristic flash of photographers nearly blinding him as he slowly walked towards the chamber of the House of Representatives. All along the way, he'd be interrupted constantly by the reporters, who had wished to get him to give a statement, but, out of respect for the occasion, he would rebuff each request, instead politely continuing to talk with the others in attendance. He couldn't help but feel butterflies in his stomach as he saw the door to the chamber; the address he was about to give to the Diet was, after all, arguably the crowning moment of his career thus far. His speech upon taking the throne was largely rigid, keeping with tradition but modified slightly to match the reign of his father. His yearly addresses to the Diet were, of course, rather broad in scope, and his most recent speech, made back in July, was overshadowed by a grave tragedy. Tonight, however, he was free. Free to lay out policy, to say what needed to be said. It was... different to what he was used to. Thrilling, even. Yet for the moment, he would have to wait until his time to enter the chamber came.

Upon reaching the chamber a few minutes prior, he had been greeted by the members of both Houses; eleven sitting members of the House of Representatives and six from the House of Peers. He knew most of them in passing, but two in particular, he was, of course, intimately familiar with. For among those selected to escort him into the time-honoured hall of the House of Representatives were none-other than his Uncle, Etsuji, and his father-in-law, Viscount Eikichi Tachibana. For a few minutes, the three men would make themselves busy, discussing the speech to some extent but mostly about more regular things. Sports, technological breakthroughs, the weather, that sort of thing. But soon enough, the first group would enter the chamber, with the Deputy Sergeant-at-Arms, Shinobu Aikyō, announcing, quote, "Mr. Speaker, the Head of the Diplomatic Service.", at which point the conversation ended. This would repeat a few more times, with the members of the Supreme Court, the members of the Privy Council, and finally Prime MInister Konishi and the Cabinet entering. Finally, it was their turn. The doors swung open, and the Sergeant-at-Arms of the House of Representatives entered.
   "Mr. Speaker, His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor of Fusan!" The Sergeant-at-Arms, Hisao Nakasone, shouted, at which point the chamber erupted into cheers and shouts, loud like crashing waves in a storm. Slowly, Eijirō entered the chamber, flanked by the members of the committee as he greeted several representatives and peers along the way towards the pedestal at the center of the dais, where he would be greeted by the new Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hiroaki Ryo, who would then briefly speak into the microphone after going through the normal procedures.
   "Your Imperial Majesty, I recognize that it is customary at joint sessions for the chair to present the Emperor to the Diet directly and without further comment." Ryo said, clearing his throat. "However, on this night, I humbly wish to depart from that tradition and express to you on behalf of the Diet and the country and through you, to the members of our armed forces our warmest congratulations on the brilliant victory of the Stepping Stone Operation." He continued. "That being said, members of the Diet, I have the distinct privilege and honour to present to you His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor of Fusan."

A moment would pass, during which time the assembled dignitaries would cheer once more, and though it would be a moment, for Eijirō, it felt as though it could last an eternity. Victory had been won; that much he could see in the eyes of the hundreds gathered in this hall. Yet it was a victory which was tainted by the crimes uncovered; hard won and necessary, but bitter. Even so, he would gather his composure, briefly looking around the chamber as it soon fell silent before adjusting the microphone and beginning to speak.
   "Mr. Speaker, thank you, sir, for those most generous words spoken from your heart about the wonderful performance of our military." He began. "Members of the Diet, four months ago, I came before you in the wake of the most vicious attack on our nation since the time of the Greater East Ardia War. And we met then in a time of war. Tonight, however, we meet in a world blessed by the promise of peace. From the moment the Air Campaign for Operation Stepping Stone began on the 29th of July until the moment the guns fell silent mere days ago, this nation has watched its sons and daughters with pride — watched over them with prayer. As Commander-in-Chief, I can report to you now: Our armed forces fought with honour and valour. As Emperor, I can report to the nation that aggression is defeated. The war in Kalasin is over." He stated in a calm yet firm fashion, those last words causing the chamber to erupt into applause once more. "This is a victory for every country in the coalition, for the International Community. A victory for unprecedented international cooperation and diplomacy, so well led by our Minister of Foreign Affairs, Tadakatsu Haruno. It is a victory for the rule of law and for what is right. Stepping Stone’s success belongs to the team that so ably leads our armed forces, our Minister of War and our Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff: Okimoto Esashi and Hakaru Fukushi.

"I would like to note that this victory belongs to General Hayao Okuda, who commanded our forces on the battlefield and played a key role in the liberation of Ranong. Yet let us again remember that this was not a Fusanese effort alone, but rather a coalition effort. Thus, let us recognize Achkaerin’s General Kakashi Fuji, Paechon’s General Kyo Joon-ki, and all the others whose leadership played a key role in achieving this victory. And most importantly, most importantly of all, let us recognize those who served in the field." He continued. "I thank the members of this Diet, many of whom rushed back to Shinkyo after the attack on Awara, for continuing to serve the people of our dear nation in its hour of need. Support for our troops in this honoured hall during the battle for Kalasin has been overwhelming. And above all, I thank those whose unfailing love and support sustained our courageous men and women: I thank the Fusanese people." He finished the first section of his speech, taking a moment to breathe as the crowd cheered yet again.

"Tonight, as we celebrate our victory in Kalasin, I come before this House to speak about the world, a world changed by this war. The recent challenge could not have been clearer: While in 2017, Naphat Jitnukul sought to seize the island of Paechon for himself, the Rangsitpol regime sought nothing short of vengeance upon the fair peoples of East Ardia, those whom have, since the end of the Greater East Ardia War, sought nothing but to guide the Kalasinese people on a path towards a better future. Let it be clear: Rangsitpol was the villain. The people of Kalasin, chiefly, were the victims, as were the thousands affected in Awara and Pyrettania. To the aid of the people of Kalasin came nations from East Ardia, Aranye, and beyond, all united against aggression and terror. As dusk falls, our uncommon coalition, the likes of which has not been seen since the Great War, must now endeavour to work in common purpose to forge a future that should never again be held hostage to the darker side of human nature.

"Tonight in Kalasin, Rangsitpol finds himself a prisoner amidst the ruins of his capital, brought about by his own hands. His war machine lies crushed, his ability to threaten mass destruction destroyed. His people have been lied to, denied the truth, and slaughtered wholesale in a vain pursuit of racial purity the likes of which we have scarcely seen before. And as the demilitarised legions he once commanded return home, so too shall all Kalasinese be confronted with the havoc which he has wrought. And this I promise you: For all that Rangsitpol has done to his own people, to the Paechonese, and to the world, he and those around him are accountable. All of us grieve for the victims of the war, for the people of Paechon and the suffering that scars the soul of that proud nation. We grieve for all our fallen soldiers and their families, for all the innocents caught up in this conflict. And yes, we grieve for the people of Kalasin, a people who have never been our enemy. My hope is that one day we will once again welcome them as friends into the community of nations." He paused, glancing around the room.

"Our commitment to peace in the Matilda Channels does not end with the restoration of the Union. So tonight, as we celebrate, let me outline the key challenges to be met." Eijirō said, beginning the third segment of his address. Took him long enough, he privately thought as he remembered what he had written—or at least, what he'd provided input on, since he had others helping him with the speech. "First, we must work together to create shared security arrangements in the region. Our friends and allies in Paechon and the Vax Republic, as well as our supporters in the recently liberated territories on the mainland recognize that they will bear the bulk of the responsibility for regional security. But we want them to know that just as we stood with them to repel aggression, so now Fusan stands ready to work with them in order to secure the peace. Unlike in 2017, when at the suggestion of my father, Emperor Antei, the Armed Forces of Fusan were largely withdrawn from the region, until such a time as stability returns to the Matilda Channels, our forces will remain stationed in the region in order to respond to any threats to this new future for the many peoples of Kalasin. It will also mean that we shall maintain a capable Imperial Naval presence in the region, just as we have since Paechon was granted its independence. And let it be clear: Our vital national interests depend on stability and security in the Matilda Channels.

"Second, we must act with conviction to control the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and the missiles used to deliver them. We saw, as a result of the attacks on Awara and Pyrettania, that the Kalasinese came within a hair of developing a nuclear bomb, and we of course know of the vast stockpiles of chemical and bacteriological weapons which the Rangsitpol regime came to possess. It would, therefore, be tragic if such weapons were to rear their ugly head in the region once more, as it would be a tragedy most grim if other nations around the world sought to develop and use them. Mainland Kalasin now requires special vigilance. Until such a time as it convinces the world of its peaceful intentions — that its leaders will not use new revenues to rearm and rebuild its menacing war machine — it must not have access to the instruments of war."

Deep breaths... Just a little ways left to go. He was doing great; at least, that's what the Emperor privately told himself.

"Third, we must ensure that justice be done for the victims of the Rangsitpol regime, the many thousands — tens of thousands, if not more — who were murdered on the behalf of it and its allies in the People’s Armed Forces of Kalasin. Even now, though the leadership of the regime and many of its military leaders are in custody, there are many more who are, at this time, at large. Those responsible for these reprehensible acts, these atrocities committed writ large against an innocent population whose only crime was to exist, must be punished, else it will be as though the dead are not slain, that there was no crime. In the coming months and years, an army of lawyers, legal scholars, and judges will descend upon the cases of those involved in these vile acts of genocide, and though I cannot say what the verdict shall be, I can promise that justice will be done. And for those who have perpetrated these crimes and yet flee, Thaksin Prateung included, we will come from you. There will be nowhere you can hide forever, where the world might forget the evil you have brought into the world." He paused. "And fourth, we must foster economic development for the sake of peace and progress. Kalasin and the Matilda Channels form a region rich in natural resources with a wealth of untapped human potential. Resources once squandered on military might must be redirected to more peaceful ends. We are already addressing the immediate economic consequences of the Rangsitpol Regime’s aggression. Now, the challenge is to reach higher to foster economic freedom and prosperity for all the people of the region. By meeting these challenges, we can build a framework for peace. Prime Minister Konishi and I have requested that Minister of Foreign Affairs Haruno go to the region to begin the process. He will go to listen, to probe, to offer suggestions, to advance the search for peace and stability."

"To all the challenges that confront this region of the world, there is no single solution, no solely Fusanese answer. But we can make a difference. The Empire will work tirelessly as a catalyst for positive change, ever hopeful that our brethren in Kalasin will return to the proper path for the sake of the wellbeing of mankind. But we cannot truly strive to enter this new world if at home, it's politics as usual on Fusanese defence and diplomacy. The time has come that we turn away from the temptation to protect obsolete weapons systems and outdated sensibilities with regards to diplomacy. While peace may be maintained through strength, it is a peace that is unsustainable in the long run. If we are to make the change we want in the world, we must act upon it willingly, openly and in concert with partners around the globe. The time has come to put an end to the micro-management of foreign and security assistance programs, something which humiliates our friends and allies and hamstrings our diplomacy. It's time to rise above the parochial and the political back-scratching to do what is necessary, what's right and what will enable this nation to play the leadership role required of us going into the latter part of the decade.

"The consequences of the conflict in the channels reach far beyond the confines of Northeast Ardia and Central Aranye. Twice before in the last one hundred years, an entire world was convulsed by war. Twice, out of the horrors of war hope emerged for enduring peace. Twice before, those hopes proved to be a distant dream, beyond the grasp of man. Until recently, the world we've known has been a world divided, a world of barbed wire and machine-gun nests, of conflict and fear." Eijirō said, his voice unwavering as he proudly spoke the words he had written. "And now, a vision of a new world is coming closer and closer into view. While efforts like the Commonwealth Treaty Organization have failed, and indeed the notion of a truly globalised world seems faint, there is yet hope that peaceful dialogue can resolve most all disputes. We saw that after the war with Rokkenjima, brought about in part due to longstanding mistrust even in spite of both our nations having been a part of the Cross-Straits Treaty Organization and in part by elements within our governments capitalising on said mistrust, wherein the efforts of the Ardian Assembly — and others — were able to swiftly restore ties between our peoples to their pre-war norms. Though yes, the world has grown more… granular, so to speak, in recent times, the prospect of a world order where the principles of justice and fair play serve to protect the weak against the strong remains within our grasp. A world where the principles laid out by the Allied powers of the Greater East Ardia War, unshackled from cold war stalemate, may be fulfilled. A world in which freedom and respect for human rights find a home among all nations.

"The War in the Channels has put this vision to the test, one of its first. And loyal subjects, we have passed that test." Eijirō stated, at which point he was met once more by applause. "For the sake of our principles, for the sake of our slain, and for the sake of the Kalasinese people, we stood our ground. Because the world would not look the other way, Ambassador Shinawatra, I can, with great elation, report that the people of Kalasin are free once more."

"As our troops begin to return home, leaving behind only those necessary to occupy the country until such a time as the peoples there are ready, let us recognize that the hard work of freedom still calls us forward. We've learned the hard lessons of history. The victory over Kalasin was not waged as "a war to end all wars." Even the present order cannot guarantee an era of perpetual peace. But enduring peace must be our mission. Our success in the channels will shape not only the world we seek to create but our mission here at home. In the war just ended, there were clear-cut objectives, timetables and, above all, an overriding imperative to achieve results. We must bring that same sense of self-discipline, that same sense of urgency, to the way we meet challenges here at home. Going into the new year, we must outline a comprehensive agenda which will make the Empire ready for the challenges of the future. While the economy has performed well this year, we cannot underestimate the hit taken following the attack on Awara and the crisis in the channels. The fear and uncertainty caused by the crisis were certainly understandable. But now that the war is over, interest rates are down and confidence is rightly coming back. Our people can move forward to lend, spend and invest in this, one of the strongest economies on Mundus."

"We must also enact the legislation that is key to building a better Fusan. For example, earlier this year, we enacted a historic act which will allocate more than 文200 billion to tackle the challenge of climate change. We have begun funding affordable housing across the country; it is our firm commitment that nobody should have to go homeless regardless of means. We have authorised additional investment in our infrastructure, including the creation of new railways which will connect the nation not only to itself but to its neighbours like has never been seen before in our history. Not only that, but we have begun expanding access to high-speed internet to as many users across our nation, so that even from home, our citizens can be well-informed about and connected to the world. Now, we aim to pass a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the rights of our citizens belonging to the LGBTQ community the same rights to marriage and to start a family as any other citizen within our nation. And these are just a few of our pending proposals for reform and renewal." The Emperor stated plainly, glancing to Prime Minister Konishi for a moment as he had led the push in that area for some time now. "So tonight, I call on the Diet to move forward aggressively on our domestic front. Let's begin with two initiatives we should be able to agree on quickly: transportation and housing. And then, let's build on success with those and enact the rest of our agenda. If our forces could win the ground war so swiftly, then so too can our Diet pass this legislation with haste. Let that be the promise we make tonight to the Fusanese people."

"My father, in his last address to the Diet in 2017, asked a question of you: “If we can selflessly confront evil for the sake of good in a land so far away, then is it possible that we can transform this land to be all that it should be?” It was a question which, in the leadup to the war, I found myself asking, as I am sure many of you did too. In the time since I last stood here, the brave men and women of our Armed Forces have accomplished more than even they may realise. They set out to confront an enemy abroad, and in the process, they transformed their nation back home." He continued, looking around the room as he stretched his finger out, dragging it across the chamber. "Think — everyone here — think about the way they went about their mission — with confidence and silent pride. Think about their sense of duty, their camaraderie, about all they taught us, about our values, and about ourselves. We’ve often heard in the international media about how our schools are failing us, how our children are increasingly in turmoil, how our products and workers are second-class. But let me tell you, no second-rate power could achieve what we have achieved. The Fusan we saw in Stepping Stone was first-class talent. And they did it using Fusan’s state-of-the-art technology. From the J-19s and a personal favourite, J-24s — I admit, I am biassed — which guarded the skies above the Channels to the Matsui family of ground vehicles which marauded east to liberate Ranong, we have seen the excellence of our nation’s engineering and technology, as well as the brave men and women who made them work." He paused yet again, catching his breath after speaking nonstop for a fairly long time. "And we saw soldiers who know about honour and bravery and duty and country and the world-shaking power of these simple words. There is something noble and majestic about the pride, about the patriotism which we feel tonight. So to everyone here, and of course everyone watching at home or wherever else you might find yourself, think about the men and women of our Armed Forces. Let us honour them and their sacrifices with our gratitude and undying respect. Let us too comfort the families of our honoured dead, remembering every precious life lost. Let us remember the time-honoured words of General Shigemori Esashi, who, upon returning from Toshima after the island’s fall in 1945, remarked that even the gods would weep at the bravery and sacrifice displayed by the men at his command."

"I’m certain that many of you saw the unforgettable scene from outside of Ranong, no more than a week ago, of a Kalasinese soldier — a boy, really — surrendering. He emerged from his foxhole, tears streaming down his face, fearing the worst. And you of course remember the Fusanese soldier who was waiting for him. Does anyone remember what he said? “You’re fine. You’re alright. It’s alright now.” That scene, in my opinion, says a lot about the Empire. Despite being the “enemy”, when the fighting ceased, that soldier showed who we really are. A kind, caring, and generous people. Let us strive to follow in his example as we move into the next phase of this situation in Kalasin." Eijirō stated. "Soon, our troops will begin the march we have all been waiting for, their long march home. Prime Minister Konishi has already directed Minister Esashi to begin the immediate return of Fusanese combat units from the channels, to be replaced by fresh faces who will aid in the reconstruction of the region. In three days, the first planeload will depart from Paechon for home. That plane will carry the men and women of the 19th Infantry Division bound for Fort Yazawa in Kunashiri prefecture. This will mark only the start of the steady flow of forces out of the channels. Let their return remind us that all those who have gone before are linked with us in a long line of heroes stretching back centuries. We have always to serve and sacrifice nobly for that which we believe right." He added before saying "Tonight, I ask each and every community across this nation to make this coming New Year a day of celebration for our returning troops. They may have missed Silver Week and the November holidays, but having served, I can tell you this: For them and their loved ones, we can make this a holiday which they will never forget."

"In a very real sense, this victory belongs to them; to the privates and the pilots, to the sergeants and the supply officers, to the men and women in our vehicles, and the men and women who made them work. This victory belongs to the regulars, to the reservists, to the members of the Prefectural Guard. This victory belongs to the finest fighting force that this nation has ever known in its history. We went across the world to do what is moral and just. We fought hard, and — with the help of others — we won the war. And we lifted the yoke of aggression and tyranny from a small country which many back home had written off as a loss, asking nothing in return . And now, we are returning home, triumphant and proud, our heads held high knowing that we have played our role in meting out justice against evil. There is much to be done, both at home and abroad, and gods willing, we shall do it! May the gods grant us wisdom, and may they watch over and protect the Empire of Fusan forever. Thank you." He said, briefly raising his voice as he concluded the speech, at which point he was met again with cheers, but also something else which was, by now, quite familiar to him. "Long Live His Majesty the Emperor!", more literally translated as "May His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor live ten-thousand years!", was, after all a common cry in the country across history, and it was almost expected at every address an Emperor made to the Diet. With a bow, however, Eijirō, now exhausted, would take his leave. It was a long day. A long year, truthfully, and now the truly hard part, holding those responsible for the war accountable and meting out justice as was necessary. That, not the war, would be the true struggle in Kalasin. But it could wait a day, maybe more. Certainly for him, anyways.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 11:25:50 PM by Daitō »

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2024, 04:16:27 AM »
"On Alert"
26 February, 2017
01:51 AM
Somewhere in the Western Kyne

It was early. Very, very early, Eijirō thought as he mindlessly scrolled through the photo gallery on his phone, somehow ignoring the constant ringing of the phone at his duty desk, the maintainers doing full-power engine runs above his head, and the baseball game on the screen just in front of him. Dreams of home, of mountains and fields of grass, of rivers cold and people warm, that was all he had down here as he leaned back in his ready room chair. It was almost enough for a man to slip into that most desirable of worlds: not here. And so, when those ever-familiar words rung out, "You ready, Snipe?", his body reacted as one might expect, mustering a strong resistance towards the transition to here. He'd tried to counter the intrusion into his dream with some fleet-savvy witticism, yet all he could think to say was a half-hearted "Help me, Tengu-sama, I don't want to be on the Boat no more."

The Boat, the four-billion-mon instrument of Daitojin foreign policy, was inseparable from its hostility—not the hostility that might be unleashed by a flurry of bomb-laden jets following failed diplomatic efforts, but the hostility resident inside the hull, the hostility of wake-ups punctuated by "damn it." Though the majestic pace of the huge ship on the dark, calm seas of the Northern Ardian Gulf may have projected a certain tranquility to the junks and freighters that passed in the distance, all was not quiet aboard the carrier. In fact, all was never quiet aboard Jun'yō; if it were, then something terrible had to have happened. Somewhere between the ambitious goal of protecting the rights of the free world and simple job preservation was the buzz of the boat—the hostility. Regardless of the time of day or the carrier's location, there was always some load being sweated, inane or legitimate, and some commander running around frying a circuit about the latest tasker from one of seven numbered fleet staffs or railing with a handset to each ear because of the admiral's "concerns."
   "Oh, don't give me that, Snipe. We gotta get up on the roof and relieve the Ready 5 crew."

The Lieutenant finally gave a reaction to his comrade with a full stretch of his lanky one-point-eight meter frame, then brought his long arms down from above his head to reach the scuffed toes of his flight boots. "Alright, Blaze, I'm ready." he said as he tried to relieve himself of the relative warmth his faux-leather ready room chair provided. Well, actually it wasn't his chair, per se; it belonged to the squadron XO. As Eijirō was only a lowly first-tour Lieutenant, his chair was located more in the middle of the thirty-seven identical chairs in the ready room, but when you were standing the 0200-0400 Alert 15, there weren't too many people around to care which chair you used. The XO's chair was in the front row and was, in his opinion anyways, quite comfortable compared to the rest, having been replaced recently. Yet he would manage to get up despite this comfort and glanced over at the whiteboard. Who were they swapping with, again? Ah, right. Wataru Kyoya and Toast. Best not to keep them waiting, he figured, so he and "Blaze"—LCDR Hirokatsu Murakami—grabbed their helmets and nav bags full of charts and kneeboard cards and headed out of the ready room, though not before Eijirō put his phone in the drawer under his seat and Hirokatsu checked the score. "Good to see they're still the best in the country," he announced to nobody in particular.

They then proceeded outside, down the passageway toward the ladder that led to the flight deck. The two aviators walked with the grace of football players coming out of the stadium tunnel before the big game: cool, but encumbered. The narrow space they had traveled down darkened from red-lit to pitch black as they reached the final bulkhead. As Eijirō reached for the hatch that opened to the outside, he felt nothing. It was already open, and the blackness of the outside mixed with the darkness of the unlit passageway. By the gods, it's dark, He thought. If we have to launch, can it please wait until the sun comes up. Yet almost undeterred, the two aviators followed the cones of light which came from their flashlights as they climbed the short way up to the flight deck. They were slow, moving deliberately so that they wouldn't get attacked by the vile nocturnal predators which lurked upon the Boat: open deck hatches, ankle-high fuel hoses, razor-sharp edged composite wings at eyebrow level, decks without railing, and hanging fins that were just as effective at slicing through skin as they were at guiding missiles toward unsuspecting enemy fighters.

The J-24 they were about to strap themselves into was spotted out on catapult three, located around the middle of the ship towards the port side, which at least made the jet easy to find. Eijirō caught side of his bird once through the tangle of aircraft and support vehicles around the edge of the deck and noted that, as it stood in the yellow tint of the floodlights on the island, it looked almost appropriately as a lone animal watching out for the rest of its sleeping herd. To a normal person, someone who wasn't among this fine breed of men born to fly, it was just another plane, made to fill a task and that was all. But to the men and women who flew her, who got to know her, the J-24—the "Jaguar" as they liked to call it—was anything but a normal plane. With a thrust-to-weight ratio of 1.115 when fully fueled and a maximum speed of Mach 2.38 at altitude, she flew like a bat out of hell, and her vast weapons stores made her a killing machine like no other. You didn't need stealth if everyone else up in the sky was too afraid to tangle with you, as some liked to say it. But this plane was different to him. She was the one that had the chance to show her claws, the one that he had flown on that day back in 2016. In that way, he was more connected to her than anyone else in the squadron, and the markings on her fuselage showed. She had his name on it, after all, as well as the mark proved his victory over the Toshikawans in what was now being called the "Lunel Bay Incident." Make no mistake about it, she may have "belonged" to the squadron, but she was his plane.

But that was enough sentimentality for one early morning, he thought as the two approached the jet, walking gingerly upon the catapult track's surface before crossing under it, eventually coming to stand at the base of the ladder on the left side of her nose. "Hey, Skinny!" He shouted to the pilot. Said pilot, the aforementioned "Toast", was a scrawny kid, a year his junior whom had arrived about six months back, and for a while he'd just been called by his first name, but that all changed on one fateful day in December when, while the squadron was getting ready for breakfast, he'd become distracted and accidentally set off a fire alarm on the ship. Nobody told him, but it had been a coin-toss between that and "Mayhem", seeing as all hell had broken loose since fires and carriers got along as well as a bull in a porcelain shop. "I believe it's time for the first string team to take over."
   "You've got no idea how glad I am to hear that." Toast—SLT Hideo Okumura—answered. "But you're late."
   "...No? I don't think I am."
   "Yes, you are." Hideo said, tapping his watch. "It's set to GPS time, you're..." He checked the watch. "...three minutes and thirty-eight seconds late...and counting." He said, throwing his hands over his head. "I'm still in the plane, aren't I?"
   "Ah, well once you get settled in, you'll realize that everyone's late this early in the morning."
   "That's not really much of an excuse..."
   "It isn't one. Just a fact. I'm sure the guys you and LT Kyoya took over from felt the same, but they didn't say anything." Eijirō said before adding "Just face it, we're all in this together. Now if you don't mind," He said, motioning for the two of them to get out. Once they had, he asked "How's she been treating ya?"
   "Ah, like a dream, Snipe."
   "Good, that's what I like to hear. Now why don't you two get some shuteye? Sunrise ain't too far off." He said with a salute as he surveyed the cockpit, ensuring everything was in order: electrical power unit hooked up, air starter in place, firefighters positioned, plane captain present. All the other cogs in the machine were charged with knowledge of their function within its workings; aviators knew the bottom-line responsibility of successfully getting the vehicle airborne rested on their shoulders. The higher-ups would never, never point the finger at a tractor driver if an alert didn't get airborne in time because the plane's starting equipment had wandered off. The crew of the plane, more specifically the pilot—himself—would be at fault. Once he was satisfied that everything was in order, he would rummage through his helmet bag, finding the mp3 player which was, in his eyes anyways, just as much a part of his flight gear as his oxygen mask or G-suit. Tonight, he was feeling that something instrumental would be the perfect soundtrack for a dark Ardian Gulf night. He'd place the player down on the cockpit's right-hand console before training the flashlight on the checklist, splitting his attention between it and the outside. Tonight was going to be a long one, especially with the ongoing invasion of Paechon.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2024, 04:34:35 AM »
"Another Trip Around the Sun"
11 January, 2024
09:26 PM
Imperial Palace, Shinkyō

"Ladies, Gentlemen, a moment of your time." Someone said from one of the many tables in the banquet hall, someone familiar to Eijirō and a few others, but not to all. "By the kami, here he goes again." he the man, about twelve years his senior, stood up, ochoko in hand, before turning to him. "It has now been nearly a decade since I first met His Imperial Majesty, then just lowly Sub-Lieutenant Yamato, when he was first assigned to VF-13 after leaving the RAG. I had the distinct pleasure of watching him grow not only as one of the finest officers and pilots I've known, but also as a man." The man, his former skipper, Gaku Horie, continued. He was always known for his rather elaborate toasts, almost as much as he was known for his rants about the J/G-9 and later J/G-28. A jaguar driver through and through, that one. "One might point to his status as an ace as a mark of his aptitude, and that would be fair, but he has shown, time and time again, the qualities of a great leader: Integrity, empathy, discipline, and of course, loyalty.

"Loyalty to the men under his command, but also to his family, to the people around him, and to his nation. Disciplined like no other, with a firm respect for protocol and the rule of law." He continued on and on. Was it all true? Was that how he—how everyone—saw him? "Willing to listen, to understand and empathize with the needs of others. We saw that when, after the attack on our home last year, he went to Awara not only to speak with those affected, but to aid in every way he could the efforts to bring relief to the stricken city. And of course, uncompromising in his pursuit of that which is moral and ethical, ever striving for truthfulness and openness. Your Imperial Majesty, I said this when I learned of your father's intent to abdicate, but I will say it again: You have been and will continue to be a great leader for our nation, and we are lucky to have you." Gaku said before raising his glass and issuing forth that most common of toasts. "Kanpai!" He said, repeated by those in attendance who were old enough to drink before downing his sake.

As the night went on and on, the Emperor mingled with those attending this celebration of his birthday, of Tenchōsetsu, yet every year, he felt someone missing. An old friend from long ago, back when he yet served, but who was taken far too soon. It was coming up on seven years since the day that he was lost, since he and Captain Horie both had to write a letter to his widow and his children—the Captain as his CO, himself as a friend—yet even now, it still stung. They were the best of friends, brothers in arms, yet as Eijirō grew older, Hiro stayed the same. Everyone told him it wasn't his fault, that it was just bad luck that a bullet managed to get through the canopy, and good luck that he wasn't harmed, but he didn't feel lucky. He had blood on his hands; if he'd just been more careful, then maybe those kids wouldn't have to grow up without their father. A wife wouldn't have to grow old without her husband. A father wouldn't have to bury his son. Seeing so many old friends just served to remind him of that, of the best—and worst—job he'd ever had.
   "Are you alright?" Asked Mayumi when he stepped out of the room for a moment, ostensibly to stretch his legs or to catch a breath. That was always his excuse, even if it wasn't true.
   "Yeah, I'm good." He lied, as he always did on days like this. He wouldn't dare admit he felt guilt for that day, nor that he often remembered that particular mission if it were just yesterday. "I just need a minute."

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 05:01:09 PM »
"The Two Emperors"
16 January, 2024
05:16 PM
Sentō Imperial Palace, Tenkyo

The grounds of the Sentō Imperial Palace, located within the larger Tenkyo Gyoen National Garden, were always so peaceful, Eijirō thought as he paced its time-honored halls. Gently, the breeze blew through the property, bringing it with it the icy grip of winter as snow slowly fell. So many winters spent here, in the company of his elders, and yet soon, no more. Today, and for the next few days, he would be visiting with his grandfather, Uchitsune, the Emperor-Emeritus, under whom the nation had seen nearly twenty years of prosperity. Accompanying him as he prepared for the final voyage unto Takamagahara, to join his ancestors in the plane of high heaven. For Uchitsune, the great Emperor Eikō, father to Emperor Antei and son of Emperor Kunan, was dying; there was no mistaking it now, and with it, one of the last ties the imperial family had to the days of yore, to the era of Emperor Keiō, and to its past. So many had come here to pay their respects, though done in such a fashion as to not alert the media. This was a private matter for them, just as the former Emperor's diagnosis had been all these years.

There was speculation for years as to why the Emperor-Emeritus had withdrawn from public life so greatly, especially after nearly a decade of frequent interviews and visits to towns across the country. Some rumored that it was out of grief—he had lost his wife in 2011, after all—while others that he had chosen to focus deeply on his faith in his twilight years. That was the official story, and certainly he had done so to a degree, but there was more to it. Certainly, both had been true to an extent, but unbeknownst to the public, his diagnosis in in late 2019 with leukemia had further restricted his appearances. "B-cell prolymphocytic leukemia", the doctor called it. A highly aggressive form of the condition, according to the reading Eijirō had done since then, but despite his urging that his grandfather return to Shinkyo, he had been adamant about dividing his time between Tenkyo and Miyajima. Something about growing more connected to the region over the years, or something like that.

Eventually, he would have to see him. There was no getting out of it, however apprehensive he might've been. It was the right thing to do, and besides, he owed him that much. He wasn't there for his grandmother, but he could at least stay with the man who had raised him in his final days. He had always been more of a father to Eijirō than his actual father was, having to represent the nation abroad while he was still young and then acting as a father to the nation upon taking the throne. He regretted deeply that he hadn't been able to make things entirely right with his father, but he could at least take faith in knowing that the same couldn't be said for them. And so, after lingering outside of the door for a time, he finally entered the bedroom to see his grandfather.

"Ah, Eiji... There you are." A voice said weakly from the opposite side of the room. Faintly, music dating back decades could be heard, though exactly what the song was, Eijirō couldn't remember off the top of his head. Evidently, something his grandfather enjoyed, since it reminded him of his childhood, back before the war.
   "O-jiisan... How are you feeling?" Eijirō asked. "Is there anything I can get for you?"
   "No, I-" Uchitsune said, interrupted by a coughing fit. "-I don't. I'm fine, honest."
   Eijirō knew that was a lie, but for his sake, he accepted it. "It's a beautiful day out, y'know." He said, walking over to the window before opening the blind. "You ought to see it."
   "Your sister said as much too, earlier." Uchitsune nodded. "I only wish I weren't so frail, that I could go out there myself."
   "You always did enjoy winter, didn't you?"
   "That I do... It makes for a good subject for my painting." Uchitsune said, glancing over to the wall, where a number of his works were hung up. "It's just a shame I won't have the opportunity again."
   "Don't say that... You'll have many, many years to keep at it." Eijirō lied.
   "And you'll have many years to try to get me to move back to Shinkyo."
   "I know better than to argue, o-jiisan."
   "Then it would seem you have learned something, after all." Uchitsune joked, which got a brief smile out of his grandson. "I think... I think I'd like to rest, now. Stay with me for a while?"
   "As long as you want."