Author Topic: Maritime Security (to Seaforth)  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
  • Hallo, Ich bin eine Filipino.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Quintelia, Socram and Sarandib
Maritime Security (to Seaforth)
« on: July 19, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »

To the CEOs of Shipping Companies in Seaforth,

Greetings! With the recent Borlander attack coming from shipping containers, our revenue and company value have been at an all time low. As a way of saving our company before anything worse happens, we would like to visit your nation and meet on how to protect international trade, and probably form a private organizations between us shipping companies. I look forward to the replies and may God bless you all.

Truly Yours,

Matias Tan,
CEO of PAL Shipping Corporation

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
Re: Maritime Security (to Seaforth)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 09:23:53 PM »

Mr. Tan,

We appreciate your interest in discussing business relations. As you may know, Seaforth's three largest shipping corporations have recently formed an alliance to address our concerns with the safety, security and revenues of international shipping. Our group would be delighted to speak with you, and with the agreement of the CEO's of the Seaforth Shipping Corporation and Trans Mundus Trading, invite you to the headquarters of Illumic Shipping in Halifax. We look forward to your visit.

Regards,

Robert MacGovern
CEO Illumic Shipping

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 12:30:00 PM »
After landing on the Halifax Airport, having a relatively long flight, Matias was picked up by a company car of the Illumic Shipping. He headed straight towards the meeting place, stiffly walking along. For the past week, PAL has lost 15% of its company value thanks to a rumor that a PAL ship carried one of the containers containing a Borlander missile. Another circulating rumor is that some of the employees were Borland agents. Matias finally reached the room where he was needed, seeing Robert. "So, how can we keep things afloat?"

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:26:49 PM »

Robert McGovern greeted his friendly competitor with a firm handshake. As Mr. Tam was ushered into a conference room, the other two CEO's of the Seaforth shipping alliance also arrived. On their heels, came coffee and other refreshments.

"Mr. Tan, I appreciate you coming here and your eagerness to get right down to business. These Borland attacks have caused a global dip in the economy as world wide shipping has decreased. We are on the brink of a Mundus wide recession, one we think we can avert by reinvigorating the shipping industry and returning it to previous levels."

"Our initiative here is a shared cost of increased security. Our owned port facilities are being upgraded with experienced personell, often retired police and military, and equipment, including xrays, chemical sniffers, drug and bomb detection dogs and so on. To help alleviate the costs to our members, we have recieved government grants and tax incentives. We would all befefit if PAL were join with us... decreased costs, plus a larger presence in your local region. Our analysts are predicting a break-even or modest 1-2% profit increase due to these measures. Mostly as a result of the increased market share we will net because of more secure cargoes. Those same analysts predict that will increse by another 2% if PAL Shipping becomes a member. It's modest, to be sure, but much better than the losses we are all facing without those security measures."

"Another topic we are discussing among our members is the Freestone Mark. Shipping goods to nations that won't allow us to unload doesn't pay at all. However, shipping to nations that don't care about a Freestone Mark could prove very lucrative indeed. We are discussing what position we should take on the matter."

With that, McGovern paused to sip his coffee.

"We are also interested in hearing any of your own suggestions."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:55:57 PM by Rhodes »

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »
(OOC: I know it's an honest mistake but it should be Tan not Tam)

"Well first of all, the appreciation is mine. Additional grants and incentives would and should help in the development of security measures like what you said. However, I would drop drug-detecting dogs in my ports as narcotics are legal in Quintelia so I have no jurisdiction over that. Otherwise, I'd think I'm ready in joining the alliance. A modest profit is better than any deficit." Matias accepted the offer, as he continued. "However, could you please expound more on what this Freestone Mark you're talking about? Is it an actual legal requirement? I haven't heard it used anywhere except for here."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 07:26:12 PM »
OOC:
I know it's an honest mistake but it should be Tan not Tam

Fixed

McGovern shared a look with the other Seaforth CEO's and thought it over.

"I would suggest that we maintain the drug dogs, but in a limited fashion. While we cannot set Quintelian law in regards to the illegality of narcotics, I would say the dogs can be used to ensure that legal Quintelian narcotics are not loaded into one of our ships destined for a port where they are illegal."

"As to the Freestone Mark...with the illumination of the slavery practice in Tamora...upwards of 40 million slaves to be exact...there have been worldwide repercussions. Our own Kingdom has levied sanctions against them, as have others."

"In East Moreland...two individuals named Mellisa Lusk and Tim Carpenter have founded the freestone Abolitionist Society. The FAS issues something called a Freestone Mark in grades of bronze, silver and gold to signify the various degrees that a company's goods are not produced slaves...either directly or indirectly. I forsee many nations bannng inports that do not bear a Freestone Mark. Other nations won't care. While Seaforth will not import goods without a Mark, we are businessmen. I would suggest that we continue to transport any manner of legal goods, but for those that do not bear a Freestone Mark...a heavier shipping fee is charged."

"Now, since we appear to be on the verge of an agreement, I belive a name for our organization is in order. How do you feel about the Maritime Security Alliance?"

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:46:01 PM by Rhodes »

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 12:44:28 AM »
"For the dogs, I can maybe have them be stationed there with minimal costs for me. I think that'd be a good compromise?" Tan replied after giving a much needed thought.

"For the Freestone Mark, I'll get one for my company. I must ask, however, would employing freed or former slaves affect which grade of seal I get or not?" He asked, seeing as how he knows that a few escaped slaves applied for his company.

"As for the name, I'm cool with that." He nodded.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 01:02:24 AM »
" I should think the hiring of freed slaves would not affect your rating, quite the opposite in fact. For shipping companies like ourselves, a Freestone Mark would signify that slaves do not work in our port facilities and do not crew our ships. For our cargo, a mark states that product is not made by slaves. Former and freed slaves would be regularly paid staff and crew."

" I appreciate your willingness to compromise on the dog issue. thank you. Now, I do believe the the Maritime Security Alliance is ready to take the world stage. I look forward to announcing it and working toward a bright future with you and your company Mr. Tan."

McGovern smiled and offered his hand, as did the CEO's of the other Seaforth shipping companies.