Author Topic: Building Bridges over the Western Border  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ni
Building Bridges over the Western Border
« on: November 06, 2020, 08:35:18 AM »
Dear Sultan Yahya IV,

I send you my greetings. We have been neighbours for a very long time, however I believe this is one of the first times we have communicated for generations.

I would like to request a meeting between our nations, a way for us to establish a diplomatic base we can, over time, build on. As such, I invite you to Altromine, so we may talk.

International allies are important in these times, and we do not wish to isolate ourselves from our Midaraynian neighbours by not reaching out.

May Aten smile on your people,
Arch-Protector Annakol Araanon

Offline Wadden

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Wadden
Re: Building Bridges over the Western Border
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 10:57:17 PM »

While normally I would be thrilled to visit your nation at the moment there are several matters that dictate that my prescence in the Tribal Lands is needed. The need to build diplomatic relations however is an important one and as such it is my intention to send my eldest son Prince Fadil to negotiate on my behalf. I hope that is acceptable.

Sultan Yahya IV of Waddan
Chieftan of the Talafha
Emir of the Sands
Guardian of the Ports

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 10:06:02 PM »
We thank you for your response and understand your reasons.

We would be more than happy to accommodate your son in your stead.

We formally invite Prince Fadil of Waddan to the palace of Akhetaten in Altromine for negotiations.

May Aten ever shine upon your lands,
High Priest of Aten Amarna Araanon.

Offline Wadden

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 12:05:52 AM »
Things in Waddan were seldom simple to organise. The vast distance across the nation coupled with the fact that the majority of the people had no real permanent home meant often news took time to travel. You could add to that the fact that even the capital of Sabhā would struggle to pass for a small town in most nations, a fact that meant for Prince Fadil leaving the nation was an effort. The Sultan would have liked to have gone but with the chaos of the Land Decree still being sorted through the traditions required for the Sultan going away from the capital would have been impossible.

At 63 years of age the Prince was today making only his second ever trip to an airport and his first had come just a few months earlier when the Tamoran and Seleucid funded international airport had opened. The new facility was something that certainly could make life simpler. Normally to get a flight out of the nation one of the royals would have had to dispatch a detachment of guardsman to halt any traffic on the main highway that ran past the capital and then a light aircraft capable of maybe taking three or four people could utilise the dusty road to help take them to wherever they could get a flight the rest of the way. Foreign travel was therefore something that the royals had avoided until now. The Prince though was keen to make the most of it and he had two of his four wives with him along with what could be described as a battalion of children and grandchilden. In total 12 of his family would be joining him but naturally not all would be taking part in anything official they were tagging along just to experience the sensation of international flight. The Prince was settled into First Class and had to admit it was everybit as luxurious as his own home and once the initial ascent to altitude had been dealt with he began to relax. Two rows back two of his grandchilden aged 10 and 13 were arguing over who got the window view and so the grey bearded Prince settled the dispute quickly to allow himself peace and quiet for the flight to Altromine.

Upon arrival the Prince was a little unsure what would happen. He gathered together his family. "Now we will all be experiencing things for the first time here but remember to act with the dignity of royalty." He handed a bundles of cash to the senior members of his family. "While I conduct business I want you to explore, learn about this land and most importantly buy your cousins some gifts." He kissed each of his grandchildren on the forehead before handing the largest bundle of money to his eldest son Prince Yahran a broad shouldered 44 year old who was marshalling the group. "Your mother Bahiti will be going with you." He could see his son about to speak and held up a single finger to silence his son. "You make sure she wants for nothing and enjoys her visit."

"Yes Father." Prince Yahran then dropped his voice, "Would it not be proper to take her to your meeting rather than Farida?"

Fadil gave his son a gentle slap to the face discreetly. It was so gentle it hardly rustled the mans beard but it had made its point. "You know your mother is not as mentally sharp as she was once. We must make a good impression. Farida may be my youngest wife but she is the best educated." Farida was just 22 years of age had the pair had only been married four years. The girl had been trained to be a Priestess but when her tribe were unable to pay their tribute to the Sultan Prince Fadil had stepped in and offered to pay their share in return for being able to select any unmarried woman from the tribe as a wife. Farida was the eldest daughter of that tribes chief, a beautiful raven haired girl and surprisingly for a Waddanite, even more so for a girl, able to read and write. She had yet to produce a child for Fadil but that wasn't really his concern as the large family he already had was enough to keep him busy. The Prince and his youngest wife wore matching white robes, the Prince a dark blue Keffiyeh on his head while Princess Farida had a simple brown leather belt around her waist and a purple head-scarf. She followed a step behind her husband as the rest of the royals remained onboard as they would leave later and go explore the nation.

As the Prince exited her looked for his hosts and having spotted them made his way towards them. "Greetings" he extended his arms open wide, a gesture inviting the traditional Waddan embrace if the host wished it and a gesture expected to demonstrate he had no weapons. It was the formal way every meeting between tribes in Waddan began, the Chiefs embracing as brothers and showing they came to meet unarmed. "I am Prince Fadil of the Unified Tribes, son of the Talafha tribe." He introduced himself. "This is my fourth wife Princess Farida, daughter of the Taghlib ibn Wa'il tribe." The Princess merely placed a hand on her heart and gave a small bow as her name was spoken. "My father would have been very excited to come" The Prince began to explain the Sultan's abscence. "Unfortunately he has a few legal matters to attend to and that means it would have taken a long time for the required customs to be undertaken. Each tribe would have been expected to send a female member of their Chiefs family to the capital to remain there while he is out of the nation, its a process that can take weeks however when a neighbour extends an invite it is extremely rude to take that long to reply. I just hope you can forgive his abscence but rest assured he has given me leave to speak on his behalf." The Princess had been holding an object in the sleeves of her robe and now handed it forward. "My father hopes as an apology for not attending you will accept this gift." the Princess handed the object over, it was a leather riding crop. "This is to go with the stallion that should be arriving in the coming day or so. Every leader should have a beautiful horse and I am proud to say that in Waddan we have beautiful horses." The one on its way was a tan stallion from the bloodline of the Talafha Chiefs own stock and had his father not marked it out as a gift Fadil would have given it one of his grand-children. "I'm looking forward to seeing your homeland. Today marks my first time outside the Tribes Lands and I am rather excited." He admitted

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 05:15:53 PM »
Amarna Araanon smiled and instead of embracing, shook the hand of Fadil.

The prince and his family had been dropped off in front of the Holy Palace of Aten, a holy place that doubled as not only a temple, but also a parliament and a palace. Armed guards stood discreetly to the side, a precaution that Amarna hated, but one he knew was necessary. Despite there being very little tension in Altromine, if the High Priest was killed, the country would be thrown into chaos.

“It is an honour to meet you, Prince Fadil and Princess Farida. I am Amarna Araanon, High Priest of Aten, and brother to the Arch-Protector. Your sultan’s absence is understandable, bureaucracy is a pain, isn’t it?”

He accepted the crop from the Princess.

“Thank you greatly for the gift. And a horse as well! You are too kind! Welcome to Altromine.”

He handed the crop to a priest who was watching from the sides, it would be taken somewhere where it could be kept safely until it was used. Smiling, he led them towards the Temple, but instead of leading them to the tourist and worshipper heavy main entrance, he took them to a canal, ones that lead into the Temple. There, a boat was waiting, a traditional one, rowed by servants and big enough for a small party.

As they got on board, the boat unmoored, and rowed up the canal, entering the Temple. The trip up the canal took around very little time, the boat quickly moving through the waters. It came to rest outside another gate, not as big as the main gate which hundreds moved through every day at the front of the Temple, but just as grand. The symbol of Aten glared down from the elaborately carved ceiling. Amarna stepped off the boat, indicating for his guests to follow.

The wall and roof of the hall which they entered was covered in hieroglyphs. Seven Pillars held up the roof, each painted with their own hieroglyphs. At the end of the hall, an altar stood, above it hung a symbol of Aten, made of gold and other precious metals.

“This is the senior prayer hall,” Amarna said pleasantly, as they walked up it, “It where all senior priests and state officials come to worship.”

He guestered to one of the pillars.

“Each of these is actually hollow, and the final resting place of all High Priests. When I eventually die, my mummified remains will be placed inside a pillar, which will be erected in the gap there. Anyhow, enough of that gloomy subject.”

He nodded his head towards a door to the side of the room.

“We’ll have our talk in there, and some refreshments can be brought if you fancy anything.”

He opened the door, revealing a comfortably furnished room, a sky light above letting in the sun to fall gently upon the furniture.

He took a seat, clearing his throat.

“So, trade and such between our nations. I’m all for it personally, and I know my sister and the Chancellor agree. Cooperation is the way forwards.”

Offline Wadden

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 11:15:37 AM »
OOC - Sorry for the huge delay

The Prince and Princess followed their host and were a little nervous getting into a boat. Apart from the sea Fadil had never seen so much water and to Farida it was all something new and so she clung to her husbands had tightly. The custom of hiding a body in a building seemed a little odd to them after all surely it was better to return the body to nature allowing what the Mother and Father had given to be returned to the rest of their creation. The royals though kept their mouths shut and followed their host into the meeting room.

The Prince was slightly taken a back by Amarna's opening to their talks in its bluntness. "With respect we have no foundation yet for trade. Beside we also have a huge gulf between our two nations in terms of economic backgrounds. You are a nation effectively with manufacturing of many kinds and tourism yet we are a people living more from what nature gives us. What I do not want is trade that see's us like many developing nations have been in the past and that is a tool for the more developed to enrich themselves at our expense. We know the value of what Waddan sits upon and we will not permit it to be fritted away like many before us have. The terms of what agreements on trade you want therefore should take this in mind. I think a better place would be to begin by looking at diplomatic issues. For a start I know your nation has many religious ties to CLysperis. That is a nation whose civil war nearly spilled into our own borders and my father founds talks there most unproductive and my father frankly came away with a bad experience. Naturally the fact your nation revere the Pharoah means we are concerned this will impact relations between ourselves and you. Perhaps you can reassure us whether this is likely to happen or not?"