Roleplay > International News Networks

Northfort News

<< < (2/72) > >>

DaveIronside:

HONEYBADGERS READY FOR FINAL TEST
After a long and gruelling world cup the HoneyBadgers have reached the final. On Sunday they will face the hosts to determine the world champions in what Eddie Johns, the HoneyBagders Head Coach, has described as "The Dream Final" speaking from the teams training camp in The Iwi Johns said, "This world cup sees us hopefully come away as the first team to win two world cups, but we know this will be a major challenge, The Iwi are on home turf, their fans are fanatical and they play good hard rugby, its the dream final, a team that's been at the top of the international game versus a team that live and breath the game. If I wasn't a Morelander I'd be excited, instead I'm nervous."

The team have put in a string of great performances which have seen them score many great tries. One of the star performers has been Jonny Joseph who at centre has been one of the most eye catching performers of the world cup. The Northfort Royal player has scored five tries and has explained the secret of his success lies with, "The way the team have been attacking at pace, it opens up alleyways for me and I just keep hitting them, sooner or later you find one with no one waiting and its been try time, it's like the coach says, speed kills, and we've been playing at speed at getting good ball."

One of the forwards who have been credited with a great deal of praise is Rollo MacAllister, the 21 year old who plays his club rugby for Royal Merriman University, has been a force to be reckoned with in the back row and has himself scored two tries, his last coming in the semi final against Bykrestan when he finished off a superb run by Joseph who was held up by the opposition full back. The naturalised Morelander spoke of his pride of pulling on the red jersey, "When you play any sport you want to be the best and win world titles. I'm looking forward to seeing if we can achieve that and match the team from a few years ago. What we've got to do is just play like we've been doing and I'm sure we'll do it." He was asked with Somerset becoming independent whether he intended to switch allegiances if permitted. "I've been told special dispensation may be given in cases like Somerset, but it won't happen, I may have been born and raised in Seaforth but East Moreland has been my home for five years now and I love the nation and its people. To be permitted to put that red jersey on is something I will not give up on until I'm either no longer needed or able to play the game."

The big screens in People's Park are already being prepared and it is expected that some 80million Morelanders will be watching the game.

JEKARS SHIELD HEADS TO IWI
A missile interception system known as Jekars Shield has today been loaded onto a Ui Cennesliag naval vessel to be delivered to The Iwi. The system was loaned to the Commonwealth, CNN allies of East Moreland, after a press article from Lakhzovia indicated they were giving anti ship missiles to their Saheristani comrades, this was as a result of The Iwi supporting Utmen Independence. The system will ensure that any missile coming within 150km is capable of being intercepted. The system was developed from the Jekars Spear system that was installed in most cities following the Borlander attack on Freestone, as of yet it has only been used once in anger when missiles from a rouge Academican faction fired several at East Moreland.

King David explained the loan saying, "We have an alliance with the Iwi and they are good friends, we stand by our friends and if we can help them protect themselves we will. This is not an announcement that we support their stance on the Utmen question, thats something we are still investigating and considering. This is an announcement that we will help protect our allies whenever we can. I just hope they appreciate this in the rugby on Sunday."

DaveIronside:

HONEYBADGERS BACK ON TOP
The HoneyBadgers have won the World Cup for the 2nd time, the first time any nation has achieved this fete. The team defeated the host nation 39-33 in what many are calling one of the greatest world cup matches ever. The streets of Northfort were packed full of fans who watched on large screens in People's Park as well as a packed King Robert Arena where fans gathered on the pitch to watch on a giant screen. King David was also in Hunter's Bay to watch the final and meet with the team after the final whistle.

Head coach Eddie John was clearly emotional when he spoke with journalists following the victory which came in the 72nd minute when Rollo MacAllister took a line out throw against the head setting up Elliot Dailee for a try scored in the corner. The conversion was scored by Jon Wilkieson who became one of four players to be a double world champion along with Martin Jonson, Ricky McCore and Rory Overwood. The coach, who joined the team after the failure at the last world cup, said "To get our hands once more on the trophy makes the last year perfect. We've grown as a team in every game and it came together in a perfect final. Both teams played hard running rugby and kicking was kept to a minimum providing great entertainment for neutral fans. For much of the game both teams had the advantage but the Morelanders came out on top mainly by keeping the ball tight amongst the forwards.

Rollo MacAllister was the youngest member of the squad at 21 and has become a household name in world rugby, many nominating him as their forward of the tournament. Speaking with the media he said, "It's been a long tournament, the fans of The Iwi have been superb getting behind everyone whenever their team isn't playing. Its the greatest experience of my life and I can't wait to meet all our fans back home."

It is expected that a Champions Ball will take place at the Palace in the coming days and already a petition has begun to knight Eddie Johns. Former World Cup winner Sir Clyde Winwood, who coached the Lodjain national team in their first world cup, passed on his own congratulations via twitter by saying "Great work Eddie, welcome to the winners circle."

DaveIronside:

HONEYBADGERS RETURN HOME
An estimated 100,000 people took to the streets of Northfort to welcome home the East Moreland team that clinched the World Championship. The team returned home from The Commonwealth of The Iwi via a private flight scheduled as WC002 run by Moreland Wings, the company explaining that it stood for World Champions Twice. The team exited the aircraft to a fanfare played by members of the nations Army Cadets and were greeted by King David. The team then stopped and signed autographs and posed for photos with fans before making their way onto an open top bus which drove them to the city centre, through the Temple District and then onto Embassy Row where they headed up the hill to Northfort Palace. Outside the Palace the King meet them and spent time with the team while getting his own replica shirt autographed, he was joined by his daughter Princess Rhiannon who presented each player with a souvenior HoneyBadger toy bearing each players name, number and the words World Champion. The King described the day as "The perfect celebration of being both a Morelander and a a rugby fan. Its been a great day today and I'm very proud to be the King of such an outstanding group of individuals. They are a great example to youngsters across the nation."

There has already been speculation about the future of Eddie Johns, the teams coach whose contract runs out in two weeks time. He had refused to be drawn on contract renewal talks before the tournaments stating, "the team need to be focused on the games, not who will be their boss in a few months time." As he was interviewed he refused to say whether he would remain simply saying, "Preparing for a tournament is demanding, we'll see what the wife says and then I'll work out what is best for me, the Honeybadgers and the RFU." A poll of fans shows he has strong support with 92% of fans wanting him to sign a new contract.

The team are to return to their clubs in a weeks time at which point the players will take it in turns to showcase the trophy to local areas. There will also be an official tour of the nation in four weeks time where the players will visit various schools. One exception however is likely to be Rollo MacAllister who has confirmed that he will be returning to Somerset for a short period for "family reasons" he refused to be drawn on the matter saying only, "my heart is split between East Moreland and Somerset, two nations that share so much. I've a few loose ends to tie up in the old home before returning ready to fight to make the HoneyBadgers even better."

MATILDA OSMAN OFFERS SOLONIA GCI SUPPORT

Former Queen of East Moreland, Matilda Osman, today responded to the call reports that the nation of Solonia is running short of midwives. The former Queen is the patron of the Global Childbirth Initiative, which takes much of its funding from OsmanTech's charitable trusts. In a statement she said. "I have first hand experienced the need for skilled and dedicated midwives, as such today we will be paying for fifty midwives to travel to Solonia to work there for a period of 12 months, additionally they will work alongside locals to ensure the level of training and skills necessary are passed on. We will also fund 50 Solonian students to come to East Moreland and train in our teaching hospitals. OsmanTech has donated various drugs and pieces of equipment necessary to initially equip two new wards and two mobile maternity wards."

Matilda Osman has also promised EM£200,000 of her own money to provide scholarships for Solonian's willing to train as midwives. She explained, "It is our hope that this money can be offered as bursaries to encourage people to enter what is a challenging profession."

DaveIronside:

KING BREAKS HAND IN CHARITY SPORTING EVENT
As part of the Legionnaire Legacy games King David has broke his hand during a wheelchair rugby game.  The Legionnaire Legacy Games (LLG) were established by the veterans welfare charity from which it takes its name after the first Safraen conflict. The games see injured veterans take part in a wide range of events on a similar format to the Ostlake Games which pitches the various Army Legions against the Air Force and Navy. This year a charity wheelchair rugby game was scheduled between the semi-finals and final of that event, the King was playing for the Moreland All Stars against a team made up of players from the recent rugby world cup winning HoneyBadgers. The King broke his hand during a collision between himself and HoneyBadgers scrum half Matt Doorson. The King's wheelchair was knocked over and it appeared the King injured himself putting a hand down to break the fall. He was treated at the OsmanTech Arena in Ostlake before later going to hospital. The King returned just in time to present the medals to the winners of the final. The All Star team won the charity match 6-3, the King had scored one try before being injured, however the star of the match was former Youth Minister and current CTO Refugee Agency chair, Melissa Lusk who scored a hat-trick.

The King, who by now was wearing a red and white cast, spoke to the media following presenting the Air Force with their medals. "Today has been a good bit of fun, right up until breaking my hand. We've raised a lot of money for projects to support the veterans and they've been very inspiring with the way they've competed at a high level. I'm clearly a little banged up but its not the first time, and there are many here today that have received far worse and kept doing what needed to be done. What I'm most proud of is that I can say I've beaten the world champions in a rugby match."

Melissa Lusk was also interviewed following the match and said, "Its nice to be back home, I try and get back every now and again and when asked to play in this I was honoured. It was a lot of fun. Tomorrow I'm back to CTO business, while the Nya Aland situation is now under control in the short term we still need to look at getting some people back home after East Moreland and Achkaerin took many in. Sadly it now will be a little quieter in the office with the Achkaerin contingent heading home, unless I see big change in the CTO I wouldn't be surprised if we weren't far behind. There is a growing mumbling of displeasure at certain ways the CTO is going and the ways in which certain nations are using the organisation."

DaveIronside:

MINI DRAGON TO BE SENT TO ALPS
The first 30 of EMAC's new Mini Dragon "loitering munition" will be undertaking live trials in the Alps. EMAC have made a production run of 40 of the drones which are capable of being operated by one soldier with a backpack of kit, thirty of these will be issued to members of Duke Legion who will be patrolling the Alps, the other ten will be used for trials by EMAC themselves. The new weapon is essentially a kamikaze drone capable of being airborne for 30 minutes and carrying an explosive warhead of 0.75kg, should the operator spot a target they can use it as a missile, with no target visible the drone can be landed, recovered, recharged and used again.

Minister of Defence Harry Samuelson said, "To be able to provide your own close air support is a great step forward for our infantry units, they'll now have added capabilities and we shall soon see how useful these new tools can be. I envisage a day soon where these are used for most scouting operations within our Legions and hopefully it will mean not putting as many men and women into harms way." It is expected that each of the drones will soon be capable of carrying a variety of different warheads ranging from armour piercing to cluster weapons.

There has been no confirmation as to whether there will be an export model but it is likely several other nations will be interested in the product.

HALLIDAY HAS DEMANDED DNA TEST
A source close to Formula Mundus driver, Sam Halliday, has suggested that the driver has asked for a DNA test on the child he has supposedly fathered with Matilda Osman, the former Queen. The couple became an item following Matilda's split from the King following differences of opinion surrounding children. The pair have a three month old son, Oliver, who was diagnosed with Hunter's Syndrome , a condition that Matilda's deceased son with the King, Prince Caspian, also had which resulted in a significant shortened life.

It was reported that Halliday has suggested that because Oliver has the same condition the Rytol-EMAC driver has suggested the child may not be his and instead be King David's. Royal Press Secretary, Malcolm Tucker, suggested that this is "nonsense, the King has tried to stay on the best of terms with Miss Osman, however that is for the benefit of Princess Rhiannon. The two have meet once, maybe twice since their divorce and then only at events like parents evenings. It is important Mr.Halliday comes to his senses and realises that he has a responsibility towards his son. He should be focusing on that rather than making baseless allegations against His Majesty and accusing the mother of his child." Since his divorce the King has been seen in the company of several women including Mundus Games Legend Daisy Greechan and History Professor Maddie Howard.

DENMAN "DEMANDS" KING MARRY DUCHESS OF SILVERHILLS
Controversial Priestess Jinny Denman has today used a press conference to launch her book "The Cult in a New Dawn" to once more speak out about the Kings love life. The 44 year old Priestess was once a member of the Cult's Priestesses having a role at the Temple of Jekar in Portworth for five years before determining that the Cult was actually inaccurate. Since leaving the Cult's official hierachy she was formed the "Sisterhood of Helus" which is a growing off-shoot of the Cult of Helus which believes that Helus is in fact female and that the Ironside bloodline should be protected from "pollution".

Denman spoke out many times about the King's marriage to Matilda Osman calling it a marriage "unbefitting of a fine noble man and descendent of the Gods." She welcomed the King's divorce and then attempted to get two of her followers who hold positions as Representative Councillors to introduce a law making the royal families choice of partner a matter for the Council, while this was defeated it did get a small amount of support amongst the general public.

Now Denman has suggested that the King should "marry soon for the good of the nation", something she explained at her Press Conference saying, "The King needs to ensure the Unasson and Ironside bloodline is continued, for that we now need a male heir, and in my view that son should replace Rhiannon as heir to the throne. It is now vital the King marry the most eligible noblewoman possible and therefore I firmly think it is in the King's interest and East Morelands for him to marry the Duchess of Silverhills, Rebecca Henshaw, a uniting of two of the most noble families is now a neccessity. The King must do this thing and I know Duchess Rebecca would make a wonderful Queen and Mother of a future King."

Book makers have made Duchess Rebecca a 75/1 chance of becoming the next Queen of East Moreland, which is still a better chance than the 200,000/1 odds King Leonard of Vaguzia remains at. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version